BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-05 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2596654

CO
Subject: RE: cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed
I use Zoggs Aqua Plugz

I just bought a pair for my wife and she wore them for the first time today and really liked them.

They seem like they might fall out, but they don't, and they don't jam way down your ear canal.

2010-01-05 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2596643

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:16 PM What is your favorite (healthy) snack?

I'm always looking for healthy snack options to keep me away from the bad ones.
Currently, my favorites are honey crisp apples and clementines.

Cocoa roasted almonds!!!
2010-01-05 10:54 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:21 PM Swimmer's ear plugs

Can anyone recommend good ear plugs for swimming?

I don't really care to get water in my ears (especially when I'm turning my head and attempting to breathe) so I thought ear plugs would help. My local sports store had two kinds, some about the size of a quarter and thick, and some about the size of peas. I thought the small ones were too small so opted for the big ones.

To use these ear plugs, you're supposed to roll them into a ball (they didn't really roll into a ball very well) and carefully insert into your ear. OK, maybe I didn't do something right, but it didn't seem they fit very securely, and after about 15 minutes in the pool, they came out.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

Speedo, TYR etc make silicone earplugs.  They usually come 4 to a box.  It might be the kind that you bought.  You don't want to roll them into a ball.  Rollthem so they get long and skinny like your pinky.  Use your right hand to pull up on your left ear to open up your ear canal a bit, slide the earplug in and then mush the rest into your ear so it fills up the opening outside your canal.  Repeat for the opposite ear switching hands.

If you have smaller ears you can split the ear plug into two pieces and then follow the same procedure above.

I use these every time I swim and in open water swims.  I've only ever had an earplug fall out once.  Hope that helps.
2010-01-05 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2596398

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
xavi - 2010-01-05 6:06 PM Cayrip's, AbbieR or anyone on that group, 

Next week I will be in Philadelphia,(then "we will train and sleep at same time" hahaha) I need two things to be answered:

1. Trainer bike? Which one should I buy? Store or thru internet? This one looks awsome...but quite expensive! Can someone help me to choose my bike trainer? Like this I will spend more bike training time at home with kids and wife!

http://www.worldcycling.com/TACX-FORTIUS-MULTIPLAYER-VIRTUAL-REALITY-TRAINER/productinfo/TAXI-MAGFORTMP/

2. Triathlon training diet...I  am more wondering if someone has like a daily diversified menu tasty and healthy for myself? I want to loose 15lbs (from 102Kgs to 95Kgs by my firs goal Half Ironman Singapore 2010 in March 21st)

Thanks a lot,

"XTB" Xavi.

If you have the money and want the full range of features that a trainer like that provides I say go for it.  I've use the Computrainer before and from what I've seen it is the most widely used trainer of that type.  The spin scan meter is very cool and helps with your efficiency and you can download video courses and routes so if you are training for a specific race that route is likely available for you to download.  Check it out:http://www.racermateinc.com/compu_pro3d.asp

If you simply want a trainer without all of the bells and whistles I would recommend a fluid trainer as it provides the most realistic feel.  The Kurt Kinetic trainers have some very cool features. 

Hope that helps.

2010-01-06 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2596780

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
garryowen96 - 2010-01-05 11:44 PM
pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:16 PM What is your favorite (healthy) snack?

Cocoa roasted almonds!!!
Mmm!  No doubt!  Also, I put almonds in a plastic bag with some ground cinnamon, and that seems to be a good morning/ afternoon snack.  I usually have a piece of fruit or some veggies with them.  I also like keeping a samll containers of yogurt in the fridge at work.  I prefer the Activia Fiber, as it keeps you full.  Today I brought in sliced green pepper and some hummus I made on Sunday.  That's a great snack!
2010-01-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2574061

User image

Expert

Wow...lots of good questions.  Unfortunately I won't have time to provide my opinion today at work.  I'll try tonight.  Keep them coming.

Cameron

2010-01-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2596685

User image

Pro
NorCal
pdc33 - 2010-01-05 7:48 PM Swimming cont'd....

Also, is there anything you can do outside the pool to help your swimming? I once saw there was this piece of equipment you could buy, I think you would pull it and it was supposed to mimic how you "pull" the water when you swim. Can't remember the name of it, think it may have been mentioned in a Total Immersion article/e-mail?

I know that piece of equipment u r talking about.  I have not used it, but it's always advertised in the back of Triathlete magazine. 

Swim lessons would help.  To help keep you from picking your head up, one trick is to keep one goggle lense in the water when you take a breath.  For me, swimming takes a lot of thought, try to just focus on one thing at a time.

In my first tri, I side-stroked almost the entire thing!!
2010-01-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2596398

User image

Pro
NorCal
xavi - 2010-01-05 5:06 PM Cayrip's, AbbieR or anyone on that group, 

Next week I will be in Philadelphia,(then "we will train and sleep at same time" hahaha) I need two things to be answered:

1. Trainer bike? Which one should I buy? Store or thru internet? This one looks awsome...but quite expensive! Can someone help me to choose my bike trainer? Like this I will spend more bike training time at home with kids and wife!

http://www.worldcycling.com/TACX-FORTIUS-MULTIPLAYER-VIRTUAL-REALITY-TRAINER/productinfo/TAXI-MAGFORTMP/

2. Triathlon training diet...I  am more wondering if someone has like a daily diversified menu tasty and healthy for myself? I want to loose 15lbs (from 102Kgs to 95Kgs by my firs goal Half Ironman Singapore 2010 in March 21st)

Thanks a lot,

"XTB" Xavi.

1- The link looks like a CompuTrainer.  I take two 90-min CompuTrainer classes a week and love it!  I have a fluid trainer at home that a barely use right now.  Definately more challenging!

2- When you say "menu" you are looking for recipes?
2010-01-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2596643

User image

Pro
NorCal
pdc33 - 2010-01-05 7:16 PM What is your favorite (healthy) snack?

My snacks are not very exciting, but I always try to have protein with every meal/snack.
Hard-boiled eggs, banana with almond-butter or peanut-butter, non-fat greek yogurt with a bit of honey thrown in or almond and raisin snack packs.  I make the snack packs at home and buy raw unsalted almonds and count them out.  Nuts are healthy but can add up quickly when it comes to fat and calories.
2010-01-06 12:40 PM

User image

Expert

pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:21 PM Swimmer's ear plugs

Can anyone recommend good ear plugs for swimming?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have not experience with ear plugs and I don't know anyone who uses them.

Cameron

2010-01-06 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2596681

User image

Expert

pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:43 PM

Now I have a new concern. Almost 10 years ago I broke my right arm, the two bones below the elbow. The day after I swam, my arm started hurting and still hurts. Because of this, I decided not to swim tomorrow as I had originally planned. Using a mouse on a computer doesn't help matters either!

Your arm pain concerns me.  IMO, A 10 year old break shouldn't hurt.  It should be much stronger that the rest of your arm.  Swimming does put a lot of strain on shoulders but not typically the arm as it just acts as a paddle.  Your radius and ulna may be weakend someone bacause of the thicking around the break. 

Where is the pain?  In the elbow, at the break, at the wrist?  I'd see a doctor if possible for new x-rays and get their opinion...hopefully a "fit" doctor sympathetic to an athlete's needs.  Pet peeve of mine is to walk into a health care facility and everyone is overweight...here are our health professionals setting a great example for us.

pdc33 - 2010-01-05 8:43 PM

Hey Cayrip, how's that for a post to the thread?

AWESOME!

2010-01-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2595628

User image

Expert

AbbieR - 2010-01-05 12:59 PM
Catalana - 2010-01-05 10:15 AM So, my holiday excitement was that my DH got me a trainer for Christmas, which means as soon as I get it set up I can ride in my basement, instead of going to the club for spin class.  This also means I can get up to 2 hours of time on the trainer in the amount of time it takes me to get to the club, take class, cool down and get home.

But before that I need some advice, because I need to get my bike setup squared away.  I am clueless about bikes and don't really like the bike riding part of this (well, I took a few leisurely 30 mile rides this fall and they were pretty nice, but the actual bike part of the equation is very intimidating).  I have 2 bikes.  One I bought last summer after I got a stress fracture and needed to start cross-training.  I wasn't sure I would be biking more then the 6 weeks it was going to take for my foot to heal.  The bike is a Giant OCR 3 - about the cheapest road bike you can buy (I got it for $350.00).  Then I bought an old bike (probably like 7-9 years old) from a friend for $100.  He did a bunch of HIM on this and performed well, won some divisions.  He thought the bike would fit me but I wasn't sure, it seems big, however I figured with regular pedals my DH could just ride it for recreation and you can't buy anything new cheaper, even at Target  Foot in mouth  It was a really nice bike at the time, all or mostly carbon, but I don't recall who it by, it has been sitting in my garage this winter).  It has aerobars he added on to it.  

Anyway, I have a very limited amount of cash that can be dedicated to bike upgrades, what I have is pretty much what I have, with the exception that I need to get bike shoes and maybe some smaller items.  My plan was to poach the aerobars and the old pedals (basic Shimano SPDs I think) and have the LBS put them on my OCR3.  But now I am thinking that I might as well take the older bike with me to the LBS and see if they think the fit would work.  If it fits, I am guessing  if the bike was cleaned up it might be a better choice then my OCR3 (which seems fine but the shifting components are pretty bad and make a racket at times).  On the other hand, the great thing about my OCR3 is that it does have a granny ring, which I have used happily (I try to keep high cadence and it comes in handy, although I do think my bike muscles are much stronger after spin classes 3 x a week since fall).  Or is a 8 year old bike just a bad choice regardless?   Any ideas?

Thanks, Cat

If you are more comfortable on the ORC3, stick with it.  You said shifting is not so great, has it been tuned up recently?  Chain lubed?  If you want/need the granny gear, stay with it.  If the other bike fits your hubby, you have an instant training partner!!
\

Agreed...comfort is the most important part of the bike.  If you aren't comfortable you won't ride.  

2010-01-06 1:05 PM

User image

Expert

Snacks!  A very important aspect when trying to stay fueled and stoke the metabolism.  I will eat just about anything. 

Nuts and chocolate:  When I'm organized, I will make myself a little baggy of nuts measured with two pieces of dark chocolate thrown in. 

Fruit:  Fruit is always good but can leave me hungry again quickly.  Adding peanut butter helps but the kind I like is filled with sugar. 

Sardines:  I sometimes eat sardines which are high in good fats and protein.  The bones give lots of calcium.  The negative is if you get the oil/water on anything, it will stink for weeks and your breath is nastier than one of the little baggies of poop left on the running trails (why bother putting the poop in a bag if you are going to leave it there.  Not only are you breaking the law by not picking up after your dog, you are littering too).  Eating an orange or clemetine right after a sardine helps though. 

Fig Newtons:  If I'm training a lot I will eat fig newtons but they are processed and loaded with sugar.

Chocolate milk or protein shake:  Easy and quick with the right ratio of carbs and protein especially immediately after a workout.  Chocolate milk has been written up in Runner's World as the best recovery drink out there--try it, it works.

That's what I've got to contribute.

Cameron

2010-01-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2598147

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Thank you to everyone for all the great responses!
2010-01-06 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
So Cat got a cool new trainer over the holidays.  Did anyone else get any cool gear?  I got an awesome Rocket Science full wetsuit.  I've always worn a sleeveless suit so I was a little anxious, but this thing is awesome.  Can't wait to get it in open water.  There is a review of it on BT, and if you are interested you can check them out at www.adrenalinetrisport.com.
2010-01-07 6:33 AM

User image

Hello everyone, My name is Justin Daley. I am from Sout Africa, live in Taiwan, married with 2 teenage children: d 18 and s 16. Will be 50 on 1st April.

I have never done a tri outside of a gym like environment, but that should change this year as there are some tri's starting here this year. I am relatively new to the world of tri and need to learn and apply a lot.

Recently bought Triathletes Bible , and a new SCOTT S10 road bike

I am not sure how to add everyone to my whatever so that I can see and be seen.

Wishing everyone a wonderfully "triing" 2010.

Kind regards
Justin

2010-01-07 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2599455

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Welcome, Justin!

garryowen96 - 2010-01-06 11:10 PM   Did anyone else get any cool gear? 

I got a bike trainer, too.  Love it!  There's a huge difference riding on that and riding on an exercise bike.  I need to work on back flexibility more so I can actually reach the handlebars!!!  I'm focusing on rpm and staying in the drops as much as possible.
2010-01-07 10:20 AM

User image

Expert

Challenges!

Part of staying motivated for training, weightloss, or life is to set goals that are challenging.  If they are easy, would they be a goal?  Goals are important and we all have our annual goals set for this year.   In addition to these, I encourage all of us to set small intermediate daily and weekly goals that will stretch, challenge, and improve our lives in a positive way.  They can be simple (get out of bed with only one snooze) or difficult (complete every workout as planned for an entire week).  We need these.  Posting them on your blog will make them real and help us keep you focused.  If they are private, it is easy to put them off or avoid doing them. 

I challenge all of you to pick a goal that is out of your comfort zone, put it on your blog, and report daily or weekly towards this goal. 

I started the Before and After challenge to make myself accountable to my weightloss goals by posting pictures of myself.  I have been so embarrassed about my gut for years and getting into a tri suit for a race has been humiliating.  My man boobs cause a shadow tan if I ever take my shirt off in the sun.  By throwing my photos out for everyone to see, I no longer want to be associated with them and WILL change.  I can't stand to think that my boys see me as that overweight man with a belly (I'm not obese but I still am overweight-roughy 22% BF:  my boys comment about my gut).  I am changing...NOW.  I am posting weekly photos in my blog and monthly in the Before and After thread to keep me going and DOCUMENT my transformation.  In order to complete this transformation I must have daily and weekly goals to complete my training (if only my achilles would heal) for IM St. George. 

Abbie started the Peach Challenge to give us a way to check in daily and challenge ourselves to be ACTIVE every day.  She's been active since 2008!

There are other challenges to join as well but you don't have to do this formally.  Just find something you want but it will take some work to get or do and go for it.  YOU WILL IMPROVE YOUR LIFE.

Challenges!  GO FOR IT!

2010-01-07 10:31 AM

User image

Expert

Earlier we had a brief discussion about working out in the cold.  I want to report on my bike commute this morning because I nailed my dressing and was warm throughout the 3 mile ride to the bus stop.

• Time:  5:30am
  • Total ride time: 20 minutes
  • Conditions:  -5 degrees and snow packed roads
  • Upper body clothes from skin out:  Underarmor, light wind jacket, fleece shirt, hooded polypro shirt, fleece pull-over, lined wind jacket
  • Lower body clothes from skin out:  padded big shorts, running tights, track pants
  • Feet:  polypro socks, wool socks, leather mountain bike shoes
  • Hands:  polypro glove liners, lobster claw gloves
  • Head, polypro balaclava, hood from shirt above, helmet

I had a blast and the looks I got from the foks at the bus stop was worth the effort of putting it all on.

2010-01-07 1:00 PM

CO
I got a Garmin Edge 500 for Christmas.  I can't wait to try it outside, but it's been great inside on the trainer with the cadence sensor.
2010-01-07 1:07 PM

CO
My goal during my winter training is to do long runs and long bike rides that are the estimated times for what I could do in the HIM event.  (I'm not really a "just wing it" type guy, so I need to make sure I can actually do something before I do it.)

Before the last couple of months, my longest bike ride was about 85 minutes, and my longest run was one 10 miler (before I injured my foot and took a month off from running.)  Shoot, last spring I remember saying to myself how I was probably never going to do more than a 10K here and there.

So this week for my long bike ride, I am going to do 160 minutes on Saturday.  On Sunday I'm supposed to do a long run of 112 minutes, but my family schedule is quickly filling up Sunday, so I'm not sure I'll get to it.

I've been increasing my times by 10% a week.  So I have 2 more weeks of the long runs to get to my goal, and 3 more weeks of the long bike ride.

Does that count as a challenging enough goal?

2010-01-07 1:10 PM

CO

Welcome Justin.

So what is cycling like in Taiwan?  Can you get enough open roads to get a good ride in?

My wife's family is from Taiwan, and I visited ten years ago.  It was a blast.

I read the Triathlete's Bible.  It was a good read, though I felt overwhelmed by parts of it.

2010-01-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2600705

User image

Expert

bartimaeus - 2010-01-07 12:00 PM I got a Garmin Edge 500 for Christmas.  I can't wait to try it outside, but it's been great inside on the trainer with the cadence sensor.

I'm jealous...let's go riding so I can steal it off your bike. 

2010-01-07 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2600726

User image

Expert

bartimaeus - 2010-01-07 12:07 PM My goal during my winter training is to do long runs and long bike rides that are the estimated times for what I could do in the HIM event.  (I'm not really a "just wing it" type guy, so I need to make sure I can actually do something before I do it.)

Before the last couple of months, my longest bike ride was about 85 minutes, and my longest run was one 10 miler (before I injured my foot and took a month off from running.)  Shoot, last spring I remember saying to myself how I was probably never going to do more than a 10K here and there.

So this week for my long bike ride, I am going to do 160 minutes on Saturday.  On Sunday I'm supposed to do a long run of 112 minutes, but my family schedule is quickly filling up Sunday, so I'm not sure I'll get to it.

I've been increasing my times by 10% a week.  So I have 2 more weeks of the long runs to get to my goal, and 3 more weeks of the long bike ride.

Does that count as a challenging enough goal?

160 min bike on sat and a 112 min run on sun.  Good goal and I look forward to the report!  Where are you running?  Loops, long out and back, one long loop?

2010-01-07 5:02 PM

CO
I usually try to find a gravel path to run for long runs to reduce impact.  Broomfield commons has a 2.25 mile gravel loop, but since its been wet I haven't been to it in a few weeks.  It has a water fountain and restroom if needed.  (One of these days I want to try out Coal Creek trail.)

But lately, i've just been doing out and backs from my house, with lots of wandering and circling to get the timing right.

I like just running/biking from home and not wasting gas.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18