BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-01-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2591554

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
bfwhitt - 2010-01-03 7:53 PM Popcorn is my favorite snack...especially at night with a glass of OJ, I am addicted to that sour and salty taste...I may have to start limiting just to the weekends. I only eat the home style, light salt and very light butter, just thinking about it I get cravings.....

I LOVE POPCORN! And CHOCOLATE CAKE.
So, this morning, I bebop into the office kitchen to stow my lean cuisine in the freezer and what is on the counter????? A BIG HUGE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH A NOTE PINNED TO THE CONTAINER...HELP YOURSELF. What?? Day 1 of the challenge and the gods are conspiring against me. It is going to be a painful 20.
Frown

2010-01-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Chelsea, MI
Oh ugh, I hate free office food! So hard to resist, even if it's nothing you would have bought yourself... I'm just going to avoid the lunchrooms altogether whenever possible.

I'm using Daily Plate to log food, but I'll try and post a summary of each day the next morning in the log.
2010-01-04 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Ditto on the office food.  I guess why bring it in to get rid of it.  Does it look better on my .  NO!.   
One thing is to have a balance breakfast.  Get the machine running with a good base.  I can usually hold off till lunch with that tactic. 
I usually try to leave for other parts after lunch for a walk to let lunch settle and appetite to subside. 
I also find bring a snack yourself.  Fruit, veggie or granola.  Sitting there with hunger pangs while food is in t he other room is no good. 
Once I have the first chocolate or cookie I'm done.  So if you bring in food leave the cake at home and share the fruit basket you got. 
2010-01-04 12:11 PM

Obviously going by my weight I am partial to the "see" food diet, so I hear y'all on the office food!

Today was a rushed morning -- 2 educators (I am a principal and my wife is a teacher) and 3 kids to get up, ready and out of the house after a long break.  So, my plan to fix some egg whites and wheat toast for b'fast did not materialize.  I settled for a South Beach bar instead.  Munched on a protein bar for lunch with some walnuts stuck in there for a snack.  I have already downed 72oz of water at work.  I have a 24oz bottle and Brita filter pitcher I keep full in my office.  One pither equals 3 bottles (72oz).  My goal is to drink 1 pitcher every day along with 1 glass in the am and at least 2-3 more when I get home.

Dinner -- I have planned grilled chick breast and steamed mixed veggies.

I am going to try and swim tonight -- pool was closed yesterday again.  Must have been closed for the break.  If I can't get in to swim, then I will run again.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

2010-01-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2592149

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
.The stupid machine also added 5 years to my age. Also asked me if I have trouble walking...do I trip a lot? WTF? I am going to retest on it tonight. That was just rude and mean....But kind of funny! At least my husband thought so. Probably funnier because it put his Wii age at -3...meaning he is with an older woman. Oh yeah...heard about that allllll night

You gotta love the Wii fit!!! No holds barred. Never seen the do you have a problem walking comment before. Cant help but smile at the cheek of it.

2010-01-04 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I went to my doctor for this headache thing. (I never go except for my annual so she was surprised) My b/p was up (I am usually normal)  and I told her about my sudden 7lb weight gain last week, overnight (no, I did not ingest 24,000 extra calories).  She told me she wants me on a no sodium diet for 2 weeks.  Apparently all the soup and hummus that I eat are bad for me (its whole foods and nothing processed, who knew).  I went home and looked at some labels and even the chicken that I am making from Trader Joes (packaged in a marinade), has 850mg of sodium.  Milk has 125 mg of sodium, even my cereal ezekial cinnamon raison has 165mg.  What the heck can I eat?  I need to do some surfing of the internet.

My headaches, sinus, pretty obvious with where they are at behind my eye.  Advil cold and sinus, at least 3 more doses, and if still bothering then start on an antibiotic.  No external signs of an infection so she wants to see if we can dry up that pool water that is probably still exacerbating this. 

Office food is dangerous.  I am a sucker for bagels. I even keep a jar of peanut butter in case someone brings them in.  The tempatations are out there. We all need to keep each other strong.

2010-01-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2592941

User image

Master
Canandaigua
MAC36 - 2010-01-04 2:48 PM .The stupid machine also added 5 years to my age. Also asked me if I have trouble walking...do I trip a lot? WTF? I am going to retest on it tonight. That was just rude and mean....But kind of funny! At least my husband thought so. Probably funnier because it put his Wii age at -3...meaning he is with an older woman. Oh yeah...heard about that allllll night

You gotta love the Wii fit!!! No holds barred. Never seen the do you have a problem walking comment before. Cant help but smile at the cheek of it.

LMAO.  It so funny how mad we can get at a video game.  I was 8 years younger.  phew!
2010-01-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2593026

User image

Master
Canandaigua
jogo - 2010-01-04 3:19 PM

She told me she wants me on a no sodium diet for 2 weeks.  Apparently all the soup and hummus that I eat are bad for me (its whole foods and nothing processed, who knew).  I went home and looked at some labels and even the chicken that I am making from Trader Joes (packaged in a marinade), has 850mg of sodium.  Milk has 125 mg of sodium, even my cereal ezekial cinnamon raison has 165mg.  What the heck can I eat?  I need to do some surfing of the internet.

Office food is dangerous.  I am a sucker for bagels. I even keep a jar of peanut butter in case someone brings them in.  The tempatations are out there. We all need to keep each other strong.

Salt is every where.  LOOOOKK OUUUTTT.  hope the diet helps the HAs
Good thinking with PB hope its natural its a little better then cream cheese. 
2010-01-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2593091

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire

She told me she wants me on a no sodium diet for 2 weeks.  Apparently all the soup and hummus that I eat are bad for me (its whole foods and nothing processed, who knew).  I went home and looked at some labels and even the chicken that I am making from Trader Joes (packaged in a marinade), has 850mg of sodium.  Milk has 125 mg of sodium, even my cereal ezekial cinnamon raison has 165mg.  What the heck can I eat?  I need to do some surfing of the internet. 

Good thinking with PB hope its natural its a little better then cream cheese

My issue is airline food. I have to fly to my office in Scotland once / twice a week. These turn into long days (16 hour round trip) and either eat in the airline lounge or on the plane. With the restrictions on what you can take through security it makes planning food difficult on these days. First visit post xmas is tomorrow. My other vice at the office is the free Latte machine in the staff room! mmm coffee

Enough food talk Im off swimming catch you all laters

2010-01-04 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2593078

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
dexter - 2010-01-04 1:32 PM
MAC36 - 2010-01-04 2:48 PM .The stupid machine also added 5 years to my age. Also asked me if I have trouble walking...do I trip a lot? WTF? I am going to retest on it tonight. That was just rude and mean....But kind of funny! At least my husband thought so. Probably funnier because it put his Wii age at -3...meaning he is with an older woman. Oh yeah...heard about that allllll night

LMAO.  It so funny how mad we can get at a video game.  I was 8 years younger.  phew!

8 years???? ok-now I kind of hate you. J/K....but i am retesting. my ego is totally wounded!
2010-01-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2593120

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
MAC36 - 2010-01-04 1:47 PM

Good thinking with PB hope its natural its a little better then cream cheese

My issue is airline food. I have to fly to my office in Scotland once / twice a week. These turn into long days (16 hour round trip) and either eat in the airline lounge or on the plane. With the restrictions on what you can take through security it makes planning food difficult on these days. First visit post xmas is tomorrow. My other vice at the office is the free Latte machine in the staff room! mmm coffee

Enough food talk Im off swimming catch you all laters

MMMMMmmmmmmmm Lattes and peanut butter.
 Ha! I outlasted the cake. It is gone! Yay!!!
Yeah-sodium....everything and I mean everything has sodium. Hopefully, you will find some things to eat that are low...and get rid of the headache.

2010-01-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2593138

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I have had that polar age testing thing 3x in the past year at the gym.  I have aged 2-3 years up each time (wrong direction).  I am now 7 years older than my age. How the hell does that happen?  Video games, testing, what does it all mean if we feel healthy and know we are making efforts to improve ourselves.  Pffft.

2010-01-04 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2593138

User image

Chelsea, MI
MAC36 - 2010-01-04 2:48 PM .The stupid machine also added 5 years to my age. Also asked me if I have trouble walking...do I trip a lot? WTF?

It does that when you fail the "balance" testing portion.

Also Mac, you probably already knew this, but oldest trick in the book for decent ingestion of airline beverages without having to buy theirs: pack an empty water bottle in your carryon, then fill it at the water fountains after security. Food's harder.

Hey Jo, think of this as the ultimate incentive for that fresh, whole-foods approach you knew you should be doing anyway in the new year, right? Fruit and veggies and lean chicken breast and all that stuff - as natural as you can buy them, not packaged by anyone - have negligible sodium.

Edited by HNewman 2010-01-04 3:16 PM
2010-01-04 3:28 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Okay, my turn for questions:

I'm having trouble scheduling everything I know I should be doing: i.e. run/bike/swim workouts, strength and core, not to mention that flexibility stuff. I've booked myself with the following schedule:

Sun a.m. - half-century bike class (indoor, HRT based, on trainers), 1-2 hours, starts this week
Mon p.m. - spin and abs classes with a friend
Tues a.m. - run
Wed noon - power yoga, starts next week
Wed p.m. - run with 5K class, typically short - 3 miles ish - and slow (I go with a friend)
Thurs noon - yoga, starts this week
Thurs p.m. - run with group, typically short and slow (as above, but see question below)
Friday - rest
Saturday - swim for tri classes in a.m. starting Jan. 30; long run

Here are my problems.

A) You see the lack of swim workouts here, right? I need at least two a week leading up to the swim for tri class, which starts January 30, or I'm going to get flunked out before I get started. The instructor is a US National Team member and sounds understanding, but hardcore.
B) I'm old(er) and fat. My body does fine with run workouts every other day, but start stacking them up daily and it starts complaining in a big way because of the impact. Ideally, given this schedule, I'd run Thursday evenings with the group - I'm doing the Hal Higdon marathon thing, which goes short/longer/short on T/W/Th - but that'd give me three days of running in a row, and I question my ability to keep that up at my present weight. Endurance is not the issue here; injury avoidance is, so subbing non-impact exercise or moving stuff around is fine. Should I just quit stressing about it until I feel seriously overtrained?
C) That said, I cannot avoid running; I need to build endurance for my April 10 marathon.
D) Are two days on the bike (Sun/Mon) enough? Is there somewhere I could build in a half hour on my actual trainer, because my new-to-me tri bike and aero position and I aren't exactly on speaking terms yet?
E) There's no strength training here. I like strength training, but I'm feeling overbooked. There's only one day of core, too, the abs class on Mondays. Thoughts?

My goals are the marathon April 10 and the Ironman August 29 (with some mid-distance stuff sprinkled in, I expect).

Looking forward to everyone's insights.

Edited by HNewman 2010-01-04 3:31 PM
2010-01-04 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2593266

User image

Veteran
HNewman - 2010-01-04 4:28 PMOkay, my turn for questions:

I'm having trouble scheduling everything I know I should be doing: i.e. run/bike/swim workouts, strength and core, not to mention that flexibility stuff. I've booked myself with the following schedule:

Sun a.m. - half-century bike class (indoor, HRT based, on trainers), 1-2 hours, starts this week
Tues a.m. - run
Wed p.m. - run with 5K class, typically short - 3 miles ish - and slow (I go with a friend)
Thurs p.m. - run with group, typically short and slow (as above, but see question below)
Friday - rest

Here are my problems.

A) You see the lack of swim workouts here, right? I need at least two a week leading up to the swim for tri class, which starts January 30, or I'm going to get flunked out before I get started. The instructor is a US National Team member and sounds understanding, but hardcore.
B) I'm old(er) and fat. My body does fine with run workouts every other day, but start stacking them up daily and it starts complaining in a big way because of the impact. Ideally, given this schedule, I'd run Thursday evenings with the group - I'm doing the Hal Higdon marathon thing, which goes short/longer/short on T/W/Th - but that'd give me three days of running in a row, and I question my ability to keep that up at my present weight. Endurance is not the issue here; injury avoidance is, so subbing non-impact exercise or moving stuff around is fine. Should I just quit stressing about it until I feel seriously overtrained?
C) That said, I cannot avoid running; I need to build endurance for my April 10 marathon.
D) Are two days on the bike (Sun/Mon) enough? Is there somewhere I could build in a half hour on my actual trainer, because my new-to-me tri bike and aero position and I aren't exactly on speaking terms yet?
E) There's no strength training here. I like strength training, but I'm feeling overbooked. There's only one day of core, too, the abs class on Mondays. Thoughts?

My goals are the marathon April 10 and the Ironman August 29 (with some mid-distance stuff sprinkled in, I expect).

Waohh.....slow down ...easy does it....I am getting stressed just reading your concerns to fit it all in...do the best you can...I try and do little of everything and build up...I work more on my weakest area...and a little less on the others......I swim 3 times a week...run three times ...and bike two times....then I fit strength and core in where I can...there is never enough time to do what I want every day....I am dong my first 1/2 Marathon in May so I need to build up my running sooon....
2010-01-04 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
OK you can all come work from my office if you want...no snack food allowed....no soda....just protein drinks....and oatmeal.....maybe a protein bar once in a while if you real good and you do my work for me....Oh by the way I work from home....so you also have to take out the garbage....shovel the snow..and cut the grass in summer... I bet you all are thinking what a great deal......

2010-01-04 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
HNewman - 2010-01-04 4:28 PM Okay, my turn for questions:
Tues a.m. - run
Friday - rest

Looking at this I see a couple problems.  First the focus should be on marathon first and building mileage. 

First I must applause you on the Friday off!  Very important to let the body heal and strengthen. 

You may want to schedule run every other day.  You have three run in a row.  I see biking to build endurance between.   Swim as recovery.

I know you are worried about swimming/biking but you can't swim/bike a marathon.    Personally I would focus on run now and fill in with bike and swim.  You can after the marathon change your focus to bike and swim when you can be outside and in open water later.   Last winter for me was all about the run and doing a marathon in late April.  Then I switch to bike focus, lets face its all about the bike in an IM.  You can run outside in more conditions then you can can bike and swim.  Once you get the run base down you can do a long and two short run to stay up with it.  In the summer it will be about building rides to 4-5-6 hours.  I tried to keep up with core with Part I of the core and strenghtning on BT.  I'll get the address if you need it.

Just my thoughts.   Personally I'm in too much pain to run two days in a row.  Run takes off more weight any how. 

2010-01-04 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Office food? What if your office is your car? All I had today was apples and almonds.....

Been a crazy day...full day at work, crossfit and then off to Lowe's to get insulation for pipes etc. I haven't even had time to sit down and breathe.

And this paleo thing.....is for the birds. Don't know if I can go through with it. You can go to my log and see what I've eaten today. Not good.

Now I have to go to bed so I can wake up and do this all over again!

Sorry I couldn't join in on the conversation....I don't have computer access at work....since I work from my car!!!!!

2010-01-05 1:12 AM
in reply to: #2594122

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-04 10:26 PM
And this paleo thing.....is for the birds. Don't know if I can go through with it. You can go to my log and see what I've eaten today. Not good.

Ref. the paleo diet you might take a couple of minutes and read this.  I like it A LOT:  http://www.howtobefit.com/paleo2.htm

I especially like this:
  1. Focus on achieving an optimal body composition that is a good balance between performance and recovery.
  2. Make good food choices rather than avoid foods.
  3. Make a plan, and measure it with the Geekometer.  Do the best you can to follow your plan, not beating yourself if you stumble from time to time.
  4. Get the majority of your nutrition from whole fruits, lean protein and fresh veggies.
  5. Limit starch and sugar to during and after training.
  6. Eliminate as much processed food as possible.
2010-01-05 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

HNewman - 2010-01-04 4:28 PM Okay, my turn for questions:

Tues a.m. - run
Friday - rest

Here are my problems.

I don't know how much help my insight will be.  I have not trained for an ironman but I have watched my friends and I read a lot.  Actually, if I spent as much time training as I do reading, I might actually consider one.

How many hours a week do you have to dedicate to training?  Lets start there.  Ironman is a huge committment so, it will compose most of your life.  It becomes your social life.  Training is exactly that, training not to get injured.  It is a slow process to build your muscles to that tolerance.   I have trained for a marathon in the past and that alone was more time than I could give.  I am still not ready to ever do that again.  This is going to be a huge year for you.

What are your goals?  Is your goal for the marathon to finish on your feet?  Do you want to run the entire thing or do you plan on a run/walk?  What is the time limit for the marathon you are planning?  What is the time limit for the ironman events?  Know those because that is the minimum level you need to be at and you need to base your training around getting to those maximums. 

I am a fan of Hal Higdon and use him for my training plans mostly.   Smartcoach on runners world usually gives you a 3-4 day/week training plan that does not do back  to back days  and will get you to the goal of finishing and give you an idea of the range you should be training in.  It is on the home page of www.runnersworld.com, plug in your numbers and see what it comes up with. 

Swimming is my weakness and I am sure that at this point I would not make a cut off for swim time for the ironman.  I think you need a minimum of 2 days a week, 3 is better.  Start building now but don't let that be your only workout of the day.  Do it on the days of a run, because tri swimming uses more arms and you can handle that with the running.  Biking, get your butt on the trainer and do that 3 times a week.  The bike is the majority of the ironman, and 112 miles is a hard chore, especially with the hills at IMKY.  I am so bad and hate the trainer but I find its a great sweat fest.  I don't think that spinning simulates the bike during a tri enough.  Things like power yoga, I would put on hold for now.  Yoga is good to add in but you still need to train to one of the 3 disciplines on that day.  You don't have time for things that will not get you to the finish line.  I don't mean to be harsh but that is the goal.  No fluff allowed. 

Pretty much, I guess what I'm saying, is look at that plan and see what is going to add value in getting you to the finish line before the cutoff time. 

We will be here to totally support you. 

Edited by jogo 2010-01-05 5:34 AM
2010-01-05 1:55 PM

User image

Does anyone use a bike trainer. Todays high is 22 and I can not get motivated  to ride. My first tri is Jan 31st. The run and bike will be cold so training outside may be better but I know i will train longer and more often inside.

2010-01-05 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2594308

User image

Chelsea, MI
jogo - 2010-01-05 6:33 AM  What are your goals?  Is your goal for the marathon to finish on your feet?  Do you want to run the entire thing or do you plan on a run/walk?  What is the time limit for the marathon you are planning?  What is the time limit for the ironman events? 

The time limit for the Martian is 6.5 hours, which means I'll be jogging it pretty much continuously to make it to the finish in time. (Hubby says my jogging pace is too painfully slow to run with, too painfully fast to walk with.) If I could wave a wand and pick a finishing time, I'd like to do it in 5 hours. Do I think that's realistic? Hell, I don't know. I'm still congratulating myself for finishing 9-mile training runs. I still have to learn to run without an iPod. I've got a ways to go.

The cutoff for the Ironman is more fluid, because it's cumulative between the swim, bike and run. If I took the maximum amount of time for the swim/bike sections, I'd have 6.5 hours for the marathon. It'd be lovely to not finish the IM at 11:59:59, but honestly my goal there is just to be vertical at the end (and make the cutoff), so I'd take it if I had to.

2010-01-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2595844

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

HNewman - 2010-01-05 4:05 PM
jogo - 2010-01-05 6:33 AM  What are your goals?  Is your goal for the marathon to finish on your feet?  Do you want to run the entire thing or do you plan on a run/walk?  What is the time limit for the marathon you are planning?  What is the time limit for the ironman events? 

The time limit for the Martian is 6.5 hours, which means I'll be jogging it pretty much continuously to make it to the finish in time. (Hubby says my jogging pace is too painfully slow to run with, too painfully fast to walk with.) If I could wave a wand and pick a finishing time, I'd like to do it in 5 hours. Do I think that's realistic? Hell, I don't know. I'm still congratulating myself for finishing 9-mile training runs. I still have to learn to run without an iPod. I've got a ways to go.

The cutoff for the Ironman is more fluid, because it's cumulative between the swim, bike and run. If I took the maximum amount of time for the swim/bike sections, I'd have 6.5 hours for the marathon. It'd be lovely to not finish the IM at 11:59:59, but honestly my goal there is just to be vertical at the end (and make the cutoff), so I'd take it if I had to.

Just make sure that you can finish the swim in the max time and then the bike before the cutoff.  The bike scares me the most because I watched Kona and there was a gentleman with double prosthetic legs who finished the bike 5 minutes after the cutoff so he was done and couldn't even attempt the run portion.       I would be the woman who would finish the swim 10s after the cut off.  IMKY is a time trial start so the first AG person in the water has a larger maximum than the last AG'er in the water.  Swimming is my weakness so I would want to maximize that time.  Being vertical at the end of an ironman and within the time limit is a great goal. 

2010-01-05 3:17 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Oh I know, wasn't that terrible? And the guy who had open heart surgery who failed the swim cutoff by 8 seconds... ouch.
2010-01-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2595610

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
rzinky - 2010-01-05 1:55 PM

Does anyone use a bike trainer. Todays high is 22 and I can not get motivated  to ride. My first tri is Jan 31st. The run and bike will be cold so training outside may be better but I know i will train longer and more often inside.

I do.  You can borrow it if you want, I'm sick of it already.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19