BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-06 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2578050

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED
Morning all!

Weight this morning = 166 (up from 165.6 yesterday, but down from 170 on 1/1/10). Yes, I weigh every day - I know you're not supposed to but it keeps me honest...I don't get hung up on the little ups and downs). So anyway - that puts me at -4 for the year!

I'm not sure when I'm going to get my training in today - was considering an early morning trainer ride, but I was up late last night watching my Hawkeyes win the Orange Bowl!

Maybe I can squeeze a ride in tonight while watching TV. Also on the training front, I got into the pool and swam last night - one of my goals because I HATE TO SWIM. Hate it. Hate hate hate.

2010-01-06 8:39 AM

User image

New user

Hello. I am on a four day stretch of training. Last night I did my personal best for a mile run (I have the Nike +/I-Pod thing and Paula Radcliff came on and congratulated me!!) It felt great! Granted my mile is a little slow but its better than before, so hopefully that trend will continue. I worked very hard at keeping a steady pace and staying within my target HR zone.
This morning's bike ride/weight session did not feel so great. I am not a morning exerciser. I feel like I can accomplish anything after 5:00PM but 5:00AM is rough. However, I told myself that even a little bit of something is better than nothing. I think I need some earlier nights before my morning sessions.

Also, I went to the doctor yesterday and weighed in a pound less than my scale at home! I am still going to go by my home scale since that is where I started. Will update with my weight on Sunday (I dont like to weigh myself everyday, it can be very defeating).

Oh! One more thing. My fiance and I have created ourselves a veggie tray (carrots, tomatoes, celery, snap peas) and whenever we are hungry after work, while cooking dinner, even after dinner, we snack on that instead of ice cream or crackers. Its actually been great. I have upped my veggie intake and feel like I am indulging in something. (Is that crazy? Snap peas evidently hit the spot for my evening cravings...go figure!)

Hope yall all have a great day.

2010-01-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2597200

Freeland
That is great idea, a veggie tray.  I will have to do that.  My boys and I will have to try it, my wife does not eat fruits or veggies so more for us. 

Everybody keep up the good work and if you have good ideas please share them.

2010-01-06 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Sunday, we were talking soup. This is a GREAT one, and perfect if it's cold where you are!

Classic Tomato Soup

from Fine Cooking issue #91 March 2008

2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled or minced
2 tbsps all-purpose flour
3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
28 oz whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)- I like to use fire roasted tomatoes!
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 sprig fresh thyme
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsps thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of the three- if you have it, not necessary

In a non-reactive 5- to 6-quart stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat to melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, stirring periodically until translucent and soft. Take care not to brown them (which is what I accidentally did). Stir in the flour until the onion and garlic are coated. Pour in the broth, puréed tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and about 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring to prevent any sticking on the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer, covered for 40 minutes. Remove the thyme sprig and let the soup cool a little before puréeing it in a blender or a food processor. for creaminess, I do also like to mix in something like a half cup of low fat milk, or FF half and half or even just some half and half since it is not very much in a whole pot of soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reheat if it has cooled too much. Serve warm, garnished with herbs. Makes 8 cups.

2010-01-06 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Question for you all? When you sign up for a charity event (i.e Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis Foundation), is that considered a tax deductible contribution? I've been asking at work...nobody knows for sure.  We usually participate as a family, and $$$ add up!
By the way, feeling much better today. Planning on bike/run tonight.
Fernando
2010-01-06 4:54 PM

Freeland
Half hour to go until I am out of work, then home and play with boys for about45 min and hopefully a run or trainer work out and abs.  Did pretty good with nutrition today so hopefully I can keep it up.  I tell you what, this group is awesome and so supportive.  All of you are great and I thank you.

Jon

2010-01-06 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2597511

Hey aquinn, thans so much for the soup recipe. I have everything to make it but the tomatoes and fresh herbs. Woot! Dang, I was just at Whole Foods too!

I joined Weight Watchers yesterday and will weigh myself on Fridays, so weight update soon!

Please keep the recipes coming!
2010-01-06 11:12 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Hello everyone...

Did anyone find a way to bookmark this thread?  I often do not leave messages because I can not quickly find the thread.  Did not realize tonight there are two pages now and we are on page two - thought I was losing my mind.

The February issue of Triathlete came in the mail today.  It is the annual "Special Beginner's Guide!"  Worth picking up!!!

Pilates is finally starting to make sense.  Two months and I am starting to get it... slow learner.  Still the only male in a class of 28...  Honestly, it is helping my core and swimming...

Daniel

We are supposed to get 8 - 12 inches of snow!!!  Just started.  Would love a snow day with no school...

2010-01-07 1:06 AM

Seattle

Once in the forum add to your favorites.  It will sometimes take me to the page I originally saved, but at least then I can go to the current page. 

I did a light workout tonight as I'm meeting with a trainer early in the morning and I he will work me good. 

Hope you all have a great Thursday. Down to my single digit days before I leave. 

2010-01-07 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Morning, all. Just checking in.
2010-01-07 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Ruh roh. We were on page 2.

2010-01-07 6:09 PM

Freeland
Good work on the pilates daniel, only make in a class of 28 mmmm.  We got about 3 inches so far and is still snowing.  Love it.  Pulled the boys around the house for about 30 min today and wow my legs are tired. 

Has anyone taken any weight loss supplements or any supplements for that matter?  I am looking and was just wondering.

Thanks Jon.
2010-01-07 6:46 PM

Freeland
I just weighed in at work and I was 261.5 lbs.  So that is 8.5 lbs gone for good.  I like those results and will be picking it up in the very near furture.
2010-01-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2601493

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Like I said on an earlier post Jon, I started taking Chia (Salvia Hispanica) about 2 weeks ago. I did it because it's a great source of Omega 3 and has a bunch of other good properties (helps arthritis, source of fiber, calcium, proteins, etc). As a bonus, you loose your appetite (makes you feel full), which has made it so much easier for me to stick to a good diet.If you want more info about it let me know, I'll give you some websites to check. Fernando. PS: Great job on the weight loss so far!

Edited by guticur 2010-01-07 8:42 PM
2010-01-07 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2601840

Freeland
That Fernando.  I would really like those websites please.
2010-01-08 8:31 AM

User image

Louisiana

Good morning gang! It's coooold! 18 degrees in the sunny south. My mind and body are shutting down. Anyway, just popping in a saying HI! Have done my crunches and squats,but see I've got to add some more for the weight loss.

Work over the top. Saw bookkeeper yesterday and was told I was already doing all that. No wonder I feel swamped. Had crown drilled. Yuk! So workouts have been on back burner.

Ya'll are all doing great out there. Keep up the good work and post your workouts for the rest of us who need some inspiration.

Will check back in later tonite.

2010-01-08 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Woohoo.....got my new bike yesterday.
Double wooho.... 189.5lbs today! On the right track but....on my way out to New England seeking some powder with the family. Training will have to wait. I'm not sure the apre ski will help much either Wink.  I am also having very minor surgery done next thursday.  Basically this will a week off tri training. Hope I don't spoil the weight situation. 
I will try to log on when I can, but I'im not sure how often that will be. Talk to you soon.
Fernando.
2010-01-08 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Congrats on the new bike & the weight loss!!! WHOO WHOO!
2010-01-08 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Looking forward to a quiet weekend here - need to take down the X-mas lights (in the freezing cold...brrrr) and do other normal weekend stuff like laundry, but it will be nice to have a relaxing weekend finally (after all the holiday/birthday rush).
2010-01-09 9:42 AM

User image

Louisiana

Good morning. Hope you all are relaxing a little this Saturday. It's cold, and we don't do cold very well here in the South. I've been AWOL this week. Stress over the top, but more of that later. Let me catch up a little.

Fernando: Saw where your oldest would like to tri. I think that's awesome. It's a great family sport. Kudos to him and to a great role model dad. I don't know much about the charity deduction. Maybe we can find out somewhere on the site. What's this about a new bike?? Must have details and pic.

Amy: Great motivation getting the workout in early while child slept. You are so right about needing to prop each other up. January is the toughest month of the year mentally and physically. Ya'll hang in there.

Jon: Hope you got rested. You are right to skip workouts if you are tired. Everyone is dragging a little right now. Saw where you're down 8.5#. Will add 30sec ab bicycle for each of your pounds. OH, that's gonna hurt!

Kristen: Go girl!!!!! 4 pounds since 1/1!!!. OK, I'm dedicating Superman extensions to your weight loss, 20 for each pound. I'll go get my fitness ball and get on them. Keep up the good work.

Maggie: When do you leave?

Tracy: I'll look for your weight loss tomorrow. Will have to find an exercise for you. Like the veggie tray. Will get some for myself next time I go to the store. We do better when I have fresh veggies ready to munch. Congrats on your PB!

OK, looks like I have some core work to do this weekend.

Just a word about what to do when life gets over the top. Last week was hard for me, clients stressed over the top, broke a tooth, had it fixed. Heater went out in 18 degree weather. Kids let out of school for predicted snow...didn't happen. Surprise bills showed up. Anyway, pretty typical over the top life stuff. If we let it, this stuff can short-circuit our plans for training, so here's a couple of things I do, that may help when each of you (and you will) runs into unexpected stress.

1. Rest. I leave out optional workouts. My coach/friend says "When in doubt, leave it out.". So since I'm in a prep phase for 1/2 mary, I cut it down to bare minimum runs this week (and core work from you guys). Office staff fielded unnecessary phone calls for me from vendors, etc.

2. Eat well. It's easy to go thru drive-throughs when time gets crunched. I pick up prepared salads, yogurt, fruit, water and plan easy, lean meat meals.

3. Ask for help. Daughter did the laundry (mountains of it). DH called the AC/heat people. Got a hug from coach/friend.

4. Stay with your disciplines: I tried to keep up with my routines as much as possible, regular bedtime, quiet time in AM, sit down for lunch, kid time at night, etc. Can be very hard when life gets over the top.

5. Keep it in perspective. January is only one month. It will go away. Spring will arrive soon and with it, longer days, warmth, sun, increased vitamin D levels and better moods and coping for everyone.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Come here for help if you get overwhelmed.

Til tomorrow...

2010-01-09 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Thanks for those reminders! They all make great sense!

I'm gonna clean this kitchen and head off to bed-- P90X + 7 mile cross-country ski + an afternoon at work + plus making dinner plus two other meals for freezer = ONE TIRED GIRL.

Tomorrow is a new day!

Damn. This kitchen is REALLY a mess. 

2010-01-09 6:12 PM

Freeland
Good evening, back at work again lol.  I am tired but will try to get another short bike or run in at work.  Monday will be a good day, lift after work and then swim for 30-45 min.  I can not wait, first time in the pool for the new year.  Just want to swim and get used to dwimming again.

Everybody have a good weekend and have fun at whatever you do.
2010-01-10 7:25 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Daniel.here,

3 degree temperatures with wind chills of 10 below.  Just finished an hour walk with my puppy through the gol fcourse and forest preserve - feels invigorating!  Off to swim and spin shortly.

My Weight Watchers weigh in yesterday --- drumroll ---

Down 1 pound!  To 254.4 - 15.5 pounds i the next 10 weeks to be at or under 229.9 for the Shamrock Shuffle 8K on 3/21.

This is the 4th week in a row I am down - 5.6 pounds - 11.2 in 12 weeks.

I am trying guys.  I track all my food, had 9 workouts last week (still have to log a few) the weight is coming off - soooo slowly - but my body is changing.  Almost ready to try weight loss supplements.

I will add the total pounds weight loss for the group for the week and add 5 minutes per pound starting tomorrow for my elliptical.  Make me sweat and watch movies.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.  We are doing great.  Drove all over the Chicago suburbs in my Wragler yesterday looking for new bike shoes.  Did not find them.  Found a huge wholesaler (lickbike.com) 30 miles from my house that I am going to next Saturday - they have over 200 pairs in stock and the Sidis I am looking for. 

Enjoy your days...

Daniel
2010-01-10 7:30 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Daniel,

My weight is 245.4...  I typed 254.4!!!

Had to correct this because without being vulgar I worked my off for those ten pounds - have all the workouts and food logs to prove it!

BTW...  WW meeting was all about tracking EVERYTHING we eat for a week...  Statistics prove those that do save shave an extra 675 calories per DAY!!!

Daniel
2010-01-10 7:37 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Hello again...

I just saw and read my last two posts...  sorry about all the typos!  I am so embarrassed - especially as a 7th grade lit/LA teacher. 

Old age.  My wife is talking and giving me the verbal "To Do" list for the week as I am typing.  I will pay more attention for now on...

Off to spin and swim...

Daniel
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12