Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-01-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2578417

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: sbreaux's group CLOSED!!!
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Not sure if you guys have seen this, but here is a website you should all take a look at. I am training for a spring marathon and hoping to finish in the 3:30 area. So I input those figures and the website tells me what my training paces should be for different types of runs. It will also give you an idea of what you are capable of running based on times of your races ( ie, you just ran an XX:XX 5K and want to know what your projected time for a half marathon based on that 5K race).

Edited by sbreaux 2010-01-23 8:28 PM

2010-01-24 1:33 PM

User image

Aurora, CO
I seem to be developing a small problem with side cramps while running.  My last two runs have only been 1 mile due to a side cramp.  Does anyone have any reason as to why I would be getting side cramps?  and how to keep them from occuring?

I do work on my core prior to running.....could that be a cause for a side cramp?

Thanks,
RandyFrown
2010-01-24 5:38 PM

User image

Montana

Thanks Scott! That link is super useful. And encouraging!! It's nice to realize that every run should not be at race pace. According to a recent 10k time, I may be capable of much better than I expected... with much hard work. I am printing out a copy to hang on my fridge. Awesome!

2010-01-24 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2631754

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scooter4867 - 2010-01-24 12:33 PMI seem to be developing a small problem with side cramps while running.  My last two runs have only been 1 mile due to a side cramp.  Does anyone have any reason as to why I would be getting side cramps?  and how to keep them from occuring?

I do work on my core prior to running.....could that be a cause for a side cramp?

Thanks,
RandyFrown
The side stitches could be from dehydration, your core work before, what you ate, or general lack of running fitness. From what I've read, most people get cramps because the elevated breathing from running raises the diaphram towards the internal organs and stretches the ligaments in the diaphram as your feet hit the pavement. That ligament stretching causes them to spasm. I don't get them often, but when I do, I will try to slow down and control my breathing as well as take 3 or 4 fingers and press into the cramp. Most of my issues with side cramps are in the summer when I'm dehydrated. Nothing more to do than drink more earlier in my runs. Maybe try and do your core work after you run to see if that is the culprit.
2010-01-25 4:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
FWIW I raced in a duathlon relay and saw lots of people getting hit with cramp and about 80% of them were hydration related - including some of my team. I always get thirsty and a dry mouth so carry fluid for even the shortest of runs so I don't suffer cramp. I only get it at the end of a long bike ride if I'm dieting or if I swim in cold water. The former I assume is salt related. The latter temperature.
2010-01-25 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2632234

User image

Aurora, CO
Thanks for the input Scott.  I believe that I am trying to go too fast too soon....when I was running my 12 min miles, I had no problem.  The two time I ran 10 min miles is when the cramps started.  I will go back to my slower pace and see if that works.  I don't believe that I have any hydration issues since I am always very careful about staying hydrated throughout the day. 

By the way, I did go to the Bikesource.  They really have a lot of stuff.  But they did not have the brand/style of tri-shorts that I was looking for.  I was able to try on some tri-shorts and found out the size I need to be wearing and bought a pair (DeSoto) on line.

2010-01-25 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
I know this response is late, but I agree, side cramping for me is usually the result of trying to go too fast and not breathing enough. Even now, whenever I'm running at a faster pace than usual, I make sure to keep my breathing deep and controlled, and make sure I'm not holding my breath.  If you're just starting out running and still trying to figure out what pace to run at, I'd say just try to maintain a comfortable pace where you can still talk and aren't gasping for breath. 
2010-01-25 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2633171

User image

Aurora, CO
Thanks Missy....I will focus on my breathing next time I run (which is not scheduled until Thur).  Now that I look back, when I sped up to the 10 min mile pace I think I was holding my breath some and then gasping for air.  I doubt that I could have held a conversation at that pace.

Really appriciate your input.

Randy
2010-01-27 4:18 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I tried some of the running skills yesterday and they felt really good. Next time I'm on the treadmill, I'll print them out and make sure I try them all. Thanks for the tips!
2010-01-27 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Hey All! I hope everyone is having a great week! One quick question...I'm looking to get some swim gear and was curious about swim caps. Are they provided by the race or do I need to get one for myself? Never swam in one personally. My head is already pretty streamlined already

Thanks and have great rest of the week and weekend!!!!
2010-01-27 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
They are usually provided by the race as the waves are colour-coded. Personally, my fave is seeing all the fit young blokes in bright pink ones - I think they do it on purpose :-) Week is going well, enjoying spending time with my five year old before he's off to 'big-school' next Monday, sigh. Have a great weekend - it's the City of Perth Olympic tri this week so will be cheering on people from the club.

2010-01-28 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Randy - No prob!  I hope it helped & that your side cramps have gone away!

David - Yep, the race usually will give you a cap to designate your wave assignment.  But I generally like wearing my own cap underneath, but mostly because I have long hair and I find silicone caps don't pull on my hair as much as regular caps... Though I'm sure that won't be an issue for you Wink  Also, if it's cold, it's nice to wear two caps for the added insulation, but again, depending on when your race is, that also might not be an issue.

I just noticed the link Scott posted about the McMillan running calculator.  I love that site!  It has some pretty good articles there, too.  I used the running calculator and entered in my stand-alone 10k times over the summer as well as my half marathon time in November.  Both results predicted that I should expect to finish my marathon around 4:30.  Keeping that in mind, it told me to do my long runs around 11min/mile, which is what I've been doing.  As a first-time marathoner, it's helped take a lot of the guesswork out of training!
2010-01-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2638906

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
triwolfpack - 2010-01-27 7:56 PM Hey All! I hope everyone is having a great week! One quick question...I'm looking to get some swim gear and was curious about swim caps. Are they provided by the race or do I need to get one for myself? Never swam in one personally. My head is already pretty streamlined already Thanks and have great rest of the week and weekend!!!!

I have a dozen or so and I didn't buy any.  I don't use one when I swim at the pool.
2010-01-29 4:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Running Shoes and sizes.

I've read a few articles recently that says you should have shoes a size bigger than your normal shoe size. Is this true? I certainly have had problems with toenails but just put that down to a normal running hazzard. When I first dipped a toe into running I went to a running shop and they never advised that I should get one size bigger so I've just been buying them in my size. I'm starting to wonder if I should get a new pair a size bigger. What do you think?
2010-01-29 5:36 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Mine are a size bigger but until now I really never gave it much thought - that's just what the shop said fitted me and I thought it was maybe a brand sizing thing. I've had problems with toenails too but solved that by turning my socks inside out because the seam was rubbing on my cuticle. I now have some great running socks that I bought in the UK from M&S, in fact, I like them so much I got visitors to bring some more over with them. They are dirt cheap and are right and left specific.
2010-01-29 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Mine are a size bigger. . . I think the rule of thumb (pun intended, hahaha Wink) is that you should have a thumbsnail width between the end of your toes and the end of the shoe.  They're supposed to be roomy front-to-back!

Edit:  Forgot to mention, I've never had problems with toenails at all!  My toenails are just too far from the end of my shoe!  (Seriously, at first I felt like I was wearing clown shoes since my running shoes are so much longer than my regular shoes Tongue out)

Edited by yogachic 2010-01-29 11:31 AM

2010-01-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2642598

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
yogachic - 2010-01-29 10:28 AM Mine are a size bigger. . . I think the rule of thumb (pun intended, hahaha Wink) is that you should have a thumbsnail width between the end of your toes and the end of the shoe.  They're supposed to be roomy front-to-back!

Edit:  Forgot to mention, I've never had problems with toenails at all!  My toenails are just too far from the end of my shoe!  (Seriously, at first I felt like I was wearing clown shoes since my running shoes are so much longer than my regular shoes Tongue out)

I agree.  A good running store will put you in the proper size.  My shoes are a half size bigger than what I would normally wear.  I think it also depends on the distances you run.  People who run longer distances will need the extra room, because your foot will expand the farther you go.  On the other hand, I have racing flats for short distances that fit my foot like a glove.
2010-01-29 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Scott, what are racing flats? BTW I hit a big triathlon milestone this week - had to buy Body Glide for the first time, never gone far enough to have had a problem with chaffing before ;-)
2010-01-29 7:28 PM

User image

New user

Body Glide is right up there with sliced bread!
2010-01-29 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2643670

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
daisymouse - 2010-01-29 5:53 PM Scott, what are racing flats? BTW I hit a big triathlon milestone this week - had to buy Body Glide for the first time, never gone far enough to have had a problem with chaffing before ;-)

Racing flats are a very lightweight running shoe with much less cushion than a traditional training shoe.   The heel is not as pronounced in a racing flat, thus providing some weight benefits.  These shoes are not as durable and don't last as long as your traditional training shoes.  I do wear these occasionally during workouts, mostly on the treadmill.    I wear them up to a half marathon.  I have a pair of Newton lightweight trainers and the Pearl Izumi Streaks.  My regular training shoes are either Asics Kayano or Nimbus.  
2010-02-01 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Thanks all for the swim cap tips...I think I'll hold out and keep my fingers crossed for the Bright Pink Cap

My shoes are 1/2 size bigger as well! That is what the guy at the store told me! Of course he couldv'e told me he had a bridge to sell me cheap and I probably wouldv'e gone for it

Hope everyone's training is going well!

2010-02-02 8:57 AM

User image

Aurora, CO
I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for the sentiments concerning my Grandmother.  She was very special to me and I am going to miss her.  I have to believe that she is in a better place now and no longer in pain.

I truly appriciate all my friends here at BT.

Randy
2010-02-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2649496

User image

New York, New York
Randy,

All the best our thoughts are with you and your family.

Scott et al,

I'm working on scheduling my racing calendar for the summer (being in the north east only really allows me to "race" triathlons from May - early October).

My goal race for the summer is the Rhode Island 70.3 in July, but I want to get a few training races in their before hand (and of course after).

I currently have an Olympic scheduled for a month prior to the 70.3.  Do you think this is too close to my July race?  There is another Olympic that's 6 weeks before the 70.3, but that would only leave a week of recovery from a century that i wanted to use as a training ride.  Race dates are below - but i'd love to hear some thoughts... and yes - i'm a little compulsive about having my races planned for the summer!!

Possible Race dates:

5/16 century (flat)

6/12 Olympic

7/11 HIM

or

5/22 Olympic

7/11 HIM

Thanks,

Jonathan

PS sorry i've been MIA from the board, just been super busy with work - leaving only enough time for training and updating my training log.
2010-02-02 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Randy - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother Frown  I'll be thinking of you and your fam.

Jonathan - My race schedule is similar to yours. I'm thinking of doing a century 6/6, then planning an Olympic 6/27 and have my HIM 7/18.  But I know it usually only takes me a day or two to recover from an oly, and I'm basically using it as my last big brick session before tapering for my HIM.  I think if you're using the century as a training ride rather than racing it, you should probably be fine. 
2010-02-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2649805

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
jlags14 - 2010-02-02 9:25 AM Randy,

All the best our thoughts are with you and your family.

Scott et al,

I'm working on scheduling my racing calendar for the summer (being in the north east only really allows me to "race" triathlons from May - early October).

My goal race for the summer is the Rhode Island 70.3 in July, but I want to get a few training races in their before hand (and of course after).

I currently have an Olympic scheduled for a month prior to the 70.3.  Do you think this is too close to my July race?  There is another Olympic that's 6 weeks before the 70.3, but that would only leave a week of recovery from a century that i wanted to use as a training ride.  Race dates are below - but i'd love to hear some thoughts... and yes - i'm a little compulsive about having my races planned for the summer!!

Possible Race dates:

5/16 century (flat)

6/12 Olympic

7/11 HIM

or

5/22 Olympic

7/11 HIM

Thanks,

Jonathan

PS sorry i've been MIA from the board, just been super busy with work - leaving only enough time for training and updating my training log.

I think your schedule looks fine and the Olympic isn't too close to your HIM.  In Colorado, the most popular race series is a sprint, oly and HIM scheduled one month apart and its easily doable.   Just remember that the HIM is your A race.   
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux's group CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 9