Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-01-16 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2617629

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Jellyfish's Group - CLOSED
so far this week I did all three sports (how the heck do I find time for weights?)

today's ride went to 46 miles (solo) avg 20 mph but I realizze now that I should have stayed around 18mph so I could run afterwards (taking note for my Half iron training). 

1/16 status:
goal:     S: 2:47 / B: 7:40  / R: 3:13 
actual:  S: 0:35 / B: 2:26  / R: 2:20 approx %'s:  S-20% / B-35% / R-65%  so,m I need to swim more thasn anything else (YUK!)

2010-01-16 11:42 PM
in reply to: #2580308

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Must be nice to do a long ride outside! I was happy it was "warm" out today and it was 33 with a slight breeze.  Now is the time to learn your bike pace so you don't blow the run.

Corrie, looking good hopefully you just forgot to post your swim workouts.

Edited by razorxp 2010-01-16 11:46 PM
2010-01-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2601648

User image

Regular
San Jose, CA
I totally agree with following the 10% rule as I experienced a similar thing when I joined a Marathon training group 7 years ago. We went from running 3 miles as our longest run in early April up to 10 miles in early June. After my 8 mile run I had horrible shin splints, something I'd never had before even after playing 14 years of soccer followed by 15 years of volleyball! I went ahead and did the 10 mile run anyways and ended up with a stress fracture in my tibia that required 6 months of rest to heal!
2010-01-17 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2618230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Hope everyone's training is going well. We seem to be out of the freezer in the northeast, but it still isn't warm. I'm counting down the days till Florida - 6 weeks to go!

I was able to attend a really interesting nutritional lecture this past Saturday at my local club, TARGETRAINING. A PHD from the local college who has done a lot of research with athletes came to talk to our team.
Below are a few things I learned:
1. If you are going to have something sugary - have it immediately following your workout.
2. For those of us who don't live in Florida we should take a vitamin D tab (1000 mg) during winter months. No need to take a multi vitamin unless you are deficient.
3. Pre race meals should be high in carbs/calories (not a lot of sugar or fiber) and taken at least 3-4 hours before the race (or late dinner night before race).
4. Caffeine has been proven to help with performance - can use coffee, soda, or vivarin (as long as you don't have adverse effects from caffeine). Best if you abstain for a week then 3-4 cups of coffee before race (will kick in about 30 min into race)
2010-01-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2618840

User image

Jacksonville

I had to change my goals slightly. I had to make my training more run intensive to prepare for my 15K in March. I took a BT 20 week run intensive schedule, substituted my 15K running plan into the three run days and substituted the swim and cycling times with specific workouts. My first triathlon is 20 weeks away so after the March race, I plan on going back to a more balanced schedule. Right now running gets 3 days, swimming and cycling get two with one brick day, and one day off. It looks good on paper! If anyone sees any flaws please let me know.

Megan,
FL awaits you, the weather is getting warmer everyday. Its still a little windy and cool though. I thought I was going to have to wear a long sleeve jersey today, but by 3:00 it turned out to be a beautiful day and a sleeveless jersey worked just fine!  Wink

Alan

2010-01-19 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Real funny Alan, we all feel so bad for you ALMOST having to wear long sleeves! lol -
I am pretty close to hitting my goals have 8500 swim 6.5hr bike, 19 run.  Just about half way on everything but the bike which I need to pick up.  How is everyone else doing?

David

PS Jellyfish, I have read the same about caffeine except they say you cannot get enough through coffee/pop.  For all you itunes users there is a great 1hr long pod cast on the subject of how caffeine affects people in endurance racers.  They did a fairly indepth study following caffeine users and non caffeine users alike.  Thanks for the info!!

Edited by razorxp 2010-01-19 8:24 AM

2010-01-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2617974

User image

Warren, MI
David,

Thanks for the encouragement...unfortunately I could not get a babysitter to get to the pool last week, but I will be there tonight!

Corrie
2010-01-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2621216

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

PS Jellyfish, I have read the same about caffeine except they say you cannot get enough through coffee/pop.  For all you itunes users there is a great 1hr long pod cast on the subject of how caffeine affects people in endurance racers.  They did a fairly indepth study following caffeine users and non caffeine users alike.  Thanks for the info!!

Are you referring to the TriTalk podcast on caffeine?  I have become hooked on TriTalk.  I bought the two CD's of the older podcasts, and downloaded the rest from itunes.  They are really interesting - definitely appeal to the science geek in me!

Edited by carteroak 2010-01-19 4:04 PM
2010-01-19 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Well, I haven't managed to find my groove yet.  I half-heartedly worked on a training plan for my two April races, but life has de-railed me since then.  My grandmother who lives about 4 hours away just moved into a nursing home this past weekend.  I went down to help her out and I will be headed back and forth quite a bit in the next couple of months to help her and to help with the house.  I can usually get in a run when I'm down there, but not much else.

I don't know if I should give up on my April races, or if I can come up with a sufficient/flexible plan that will work to get ready.   I usually like to be able to follow my plan really closely, so I don't know how much variation I can get away with.  Any suggestions on modifying plans?
2010-01-19 5:00 PM

User image

Jacksonville

Edited by TAlanP2 2010-01-19 5:07 PM
2010-01-19 5:08 PM

User image

Jacksonville
razorxp - 2010-01-19 8:16 AM Real funny Alan, we all feel so bad for you ALMOST having to wear long sleeves! lol -
I am pretty close to hitting my goals have 8500 swim 6.5hr bike, 19 run.  Just about half way on everything but the bike which I need to pick up.  How is everyone else doing?

David

Actually  David, the joke is on me. Although we are starting to have some beautiful weather, 73 today when I ran, I went out two weeks ago and dropped $120.00 on some base layers and thermal gear for running and riding. Then I went out to sea for a week and since I've been back we've had one cold day, so I  have used one shirt one time! That was an expensive  2 mi run! LOL!

I am on track for my goals. I actually think I may have sandbagged a little in the run category. Have a good training week everyone!

2010-01-20 3:24 AM

User image

Veteran
New York
1/19 status (% of goal):

S - 37%
B - 12.5%
R - 20%

I hope to get in a quick 30 min run afterwork before I'm on daddy duty, have masters swim on Friday AM and plan on a good 70km ride around Singapore Saturday AM with a friend. 

Megan (and/or all), I finally got around to recordiny my swim stroke. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=13801  Sorry for the short camera work.  It was the most I could squeeze out of my mother in law. LOL   I'm open for suggestions & criticism...  don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have a thick skin , so fire away!  I need the help!  

oh, btw, if you're wondering, that's a 50M lap pool at my complex :-D.

Tuffli
2010-01-20 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Tuffli, that is one heck of a lap pool!!  If you ever need a training partner i'm there. lol :-)

2010-01-21 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
razorxp - 2010-01-19 9:16 AM

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out
2010-01-21 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2622627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
carteroak - 2010-01-19 5:10 PM

Well, I haven't managed to find my groove yet.  I half-heartedly worked on a training plan for my two April races, but life has de-railed me since then.  My grandmother who lives about 4 hours away just moved into a nursing home this past weekend.  I went down to help her out and I will be headed back and forth quite a bit in the next couple of months to help her and to help with the house.  I can usually get in a run when I'm down there, but not much else.

I don't know if I should give up on my April races, or if I can come up with a sufficient/flexible plan that will work to get ready.   I usually like to be able to follow my plan really closely, so I don't know how much variation I can get away with.  Any suggestions on modifying plans?

I know what you are going through. My grandmother was in a nursing home for about 6 months and now is at home under 24 hour care. Since she lives in Florida - when I go to visit her (like I am doing in March) I bring my bike down with me. That way I can run and bike. I also have access to a local public pool so I can keep swimming. I timed it this year so that I can spend the week with her then participate in a race at the end of the week.
You can find out where local pools are at this website (very useful - especially if you ever travel internationally).
2010-01-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2623391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
tpnguyen10 - 2010-01-20 4:24 AM

1/19 status (% of goal):

S - 37%
B - 12.5%
R - 20%

I hope to get in a quick 30 min run afterwork before I'm on daddy duty, have masters swim on Friday AM and plan on a good 70km ride around Singapore Saturday AM with a friend. 

Megan (and/or all), I finally got around to recordiny my swim stroke. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=13801  Sorry for the short camera work.  It was the most I could squeeze out of my mother in law. LOL   I'm open for suggestions & criticism...  don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have a thick skin , so fire away!  I need the help!  

Tuffli

I am sooo jealous of your lap pool. That is awesome!

As for the videos - here are some things that I can see:
- try to have your hands enter the water with your arms fully extended
- loosen up your shoulders when you pull
- it looks like you are pulling straight down after your hand enters the water - try to pull slightly out to the side and then down while keeping your elbow near the surface

A couple of drills that can help:
- 3 touch drill: on recovery touch thigh, armpit and arm straight out
- 6 kick roll - start kicking on your side, lower arm extended with ear resting on arm, upper arm at side, do 6 kicks, then one arm pull as you roll to the other side. Repeat.
- catch up drill (one arm catches up to other before pulling)
- tarzan drill - underwater recovery and work on pull
- fist drill - swim with fists, work on catching water with arm

2010-01-21 6:46 PM

User image

Jacksonville
Today was a very stormy day and a run day. The following are my thoughts on the situation! 

10 reasons I hate about treadmills!

1. I am not a hamster.
2. Treadmills stink. Tongue out
3. The people on treadmills around you stink. (It goes without saying that you stink)
4. There is no breeze on a treadmill. (Not only to cool you down, but to hide the stink)
5. Watching TV while you run is as stupid as watching TV while you drive!
6. I was always taught not to run indoors.
7. The scenery never changes. (not always a bad thing....ya'll know what I'm talking about) Wink
8. It's some seriously boring stuff!
9. Oral sugary is less painful than a long run on a treadmill.
10. Oh yeah, I AM NOT A HAMSTER!!!Yell

Edited by TAlanP2 2010-01-21 6:48 PM
2010-01-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2627680

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
TAlanP2 - 2010-01-21 7:46 PM Today was a very stormy day and a run day. The following are my thoughts on the situation! 

1. I am not a hamster.

Ditto
2010-01-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2623721

User image

Veteran
New York
razorxp - 2010-01-20 10:54 PM Tuffli, that is one heck of a lap pool!!  If you ever need a training partner i'm there. lol :-)

Thanks! I'm going to miss it terribly when we leave in Sept. 

The crazy thing about it is that no one ever uses it!!! I swim 3 -4x a week and I'll see maybe one other person doing laps.  It's fantastic!
2010-01-21 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2627609

User image

Veteran
New York
jellyfish - 2010-01-22 7:55 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2010-01-20 4:24 AM 1/19 status (% of goal):

S - 37%
B - 12.5%
R - 20%

Tuffli
I am sooo jealous of your lap pool. That is awesome! As for the videos - here are some things that I can see: - try to have your hands enter the water with your arms fully extended - loosen up your shoulders when you pull - it looks like you are pulling straight down after your hand enters the water - try to pull slightly out to the side and then down while keeping your elbow near the surface A couple of drills that can help: - 3 touch drill: on recovery touch thigh, armpit and arm straight out - 6 kick roll - start kicking on your side, lower arm extended with ear resting on arm, upper arm at side, do 6 kicks, then one arm pull as you roll to the other side. Repeat. - catch up drill (one arm catches up to other before pulling) - tarzan drill - underwater recovery and work on pull - fist drill - swim with fists, work on catching water with arm

Thanks for the tips.  I'll give them a try this weekend!

I went to my first masters swim this AM and loved it!  Also, I was one of the faster swimmers there, which I was surprised about. 

I made a pretty good dent into my goals this AM.  After swimming, I did some easy spinning, ran on the treadmill (yuk!), and got in a quick lift!  All before work!! 

Train hard this Weekend!
2010-01-22 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
For all you treadmill haters -
I know that hoping on the dreadmill is a pain in the you know what and we would all rather be outside. However, sometimes it can not be avoided.

Here are some tricks I use:
- instead of running at a steady state - do intervals or hill repeats
- watch a TV show - run hills or sprints during the commercial breaks or run hills or tempo pace during the program and recover during commercials
- for recovery runs, drag a friend to the gym and catch up while running (they don't even need to be the same pace)
- if you get stuck inside during a long run day - find a movie to watch (e.g. Breakfast Club, Lord of the Rings, whatever)

2010-01-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2627857

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
TrkHilo2k - 2010-01-21 9:23 PM
TAlanP2 - 2010-01-21 7:46 PM Today was a very stormy day and a run day. The following are my thoughts on the situation! 

1. I am not a hamster.

Ditto

Try living up here we are hamsters on the bike too!

Bad news for me today I have shin splints again (hoping not another stress fracture) so time to back off the running for a week!  Anyone have a secret cure for splints???
2010-01-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2628469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
razorxp - 2010-01-22 9:38 AM

Try living up here we are hamsters on the bike too!

Bad news for me today I have shin splints again (hoping not another stress fracture) so time to back off the running for a week!  Anyone have a secret cure for splints???

I used to get shin splints when I first started running because I was heel striking. I changed my running form to a more mid-foot/forefoot strike.

I used this water running schedule when I had a stress fracture 2 years ago. It seemed to work pretty well. You could try supplementing some of your runs with water workouts until the pain goes away. When I water run, I use a buoyancy belt and wear old running sneakers to make it more challenging.
2010-01-22 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Thanks for the advice, I will have to try it.  You actually wore the shoes in the pool??? I don't know if our YMCA will let me, but ill try.  I have slowly switched to newtons to work on a better foot strike but in the winter with ice & snow I am afraid to use them.  Have you ever used the multipurpose newtons (not sure of the name)?

David
2010-01-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2628841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
razorxp - 2010-01-22 11:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will have to try it.  You actually wore the shoes in the pool??? I don't know if our YMCA will let me, but ill try.  I have slowly switched to newtons to work on a better foot strike but in the winter with ice & snow I am afraid to use them.  Have you ever used the multipurpose newtons (not sure of the name)?

David

Yep - wear old sneaks in pool. Throw them in the washer and dryer beforehand to get any gross stuff off them. I used them at the Y and no one ever said anything about them...if they do, just tell them that they are aqua sneakers

Regarding Newtons: I have not tried the all weather shoes, but hear that they are better for snow/ice/trails. I usually use stability trainers which are slippery in snow/icy conditions. If it's icy or snowing I stay inside. They are fine in wet conditions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jellyfish's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11