BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
DDiamond - Where are you in Ohio?
I know you are in the market for a bike. You probably need to at least get measured first, so you know what frame size to get.  So go to a real bike store and pretend you are going to buy something new, and make note of the frame size they tell you to look for. Also, note if they say something like "long reach" or "short reach." That will be important. Then don't buy anything there.

Then come back here and tell me what they said and I'll help you look for something.

2010-01-15 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2616444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
ahohl - 2010-01-15 4:48 PM DDiamond - Where are you in Ohio?
I know you are in the market for a bike. You probably need to at least get measured first, so you know what frame size to get.  So go to a real bike store and pretend you are going to buy something new, and make note of the frame size they tell you to look for. Also, note if they say something like "long reach" or "short reach." That will be important. Then don't buy anything there.

Then come back here and tell me what they said and I'll help you look for something.

Alice, I am in Middletown (mid distance between Dayton and Cincinnati - I guess Middletown is aptly named ha ha ha) I prefer Dayton to Cincinnati though. I was thinking of hollaring on the Ohio forum for a recommendation of a bike shop in the area so that I could go check it out because I know I need to be measured especially since I have short legs (dang it). I will try and hit the Ohio forum tonight and ask that question so that way I can go to check one out.

Thanks Alice,
DJ
2010-01-15 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2615401

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: HTFU - I love the acronym!
ahohl - 2010-01-15 9:11 AM
dajotkjo - 2010-01-13 9:00 PM I start work at 7:00 and the Y's here don't open until 5:30 as well. There is a hospital near my job that has a health center and they offer inexpensive corporate rates to other businesses. They open at 5:00 and the pool is always empty. They do offer spinning classes but not until 6:15 a.m. which is too late for me. Denise

If the Y opens at 5:30 and you don't work until 7, why doesn't that work? How far is it from the Y closest to your job to work?
For me, I could work out for an hour, shower and dress for 10 minutes, drive 10 minutes, and still have a 10 minute cushion for getting my stuff in my bag, walking to the car, etc.
Unfortunately the Y is not close enough to my job to make the commute feasible. I live outside of Atlanta and the traffic is horrible and timing is everything. The Y is also packed at 5:30 in the morning and waiting for a shower got to be a pain: retirees get up early and there is very little sense of urgency on their parts :-)
2010-01-15 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2615602

User image

Regular
ddiamond - 2010-01-15 10:22 AMThat's a great tip Alice! I hadn't though about that and I hate changing after the swim to hit the bike because as you said everything sticks. For the women in this group - I am whining - seriously trying to put on a sports bra after the swim is such a pain in the yang. Well I said HTFU this morning and actually managed to drag my sorry rear-end out of bed and got to the Y for the 5:30 am Spinning Class (serisouly need to bring a towel next time the amount of sweat pooled on the floor around my bike was crazy) made it through the hour spin class (not bad for a first shot). The Spin Instructor even gave me an "atta girl" after the class as he had not seen me before and was proud that I managed to keep up with them, following the Spin class I was able to hit the pool for a half hour and still have my whole day ahead of me - maybe you all have something going on with this early morning concept. Better yet- I just realized it's a three day weekend for me (the last one we get at work until May) so wahoo! Happy Friday everyone!
Way to go!!!
2010-01-16 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2616894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
The Y is also packed at 5:30 in the morning and waiting for a shower got to be a pain: retirees get up early and there is very little sense of urgency on their parts :-)

That's hysterical but I have been able to get to the Y in the middle of the day occassionally (I am really spoiled I get to work from home which allows a certain degree of flexibility) and I do have to admit the retiree crowd is always there - this one woman in the locker room was talking about some fur vest for her dog that cost $1000 dollars - I was highly amused and thought to myself - wow, really? This is the type of crap they talk about. In any event, hope you all are having a good weekend.
2010-01-17 4:36 AM

New user

She could have got a good bike for $1k!

Anyway - top tip from me:

Curry and beer and then swimming the morning after don't mix.

It was really hard going, but I still managed my 1 mile training plan in 1 hour this morning.

At least when I was halfway through some beers, I thought I'll stop now as I have to swim in the morning and did.......

Aside from that, I've been pondering on entering a super sprint distance to "test the water", but my training seems to be going ok and I'm starting to wonder if I should do sprint distance instead.

What did other people do for their 1st race compared to how much training they put it and how was it?

Thanks,

Pat...

2010-01-17 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Bummer. There aren't multiple branches in a big metro area like that? That's too bad. I'm just in little ol' Columbus, Ohio, but I have two branches each 10-15 minutes from my house and two branches 10 minutes from my job.
I will count my blessings!
Also, I have NEVER waited for a shower. Wow! That would really stink!
2010-01-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2618003

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-17 5:36 AM

At least when I was halfway through some beers, I thought I'll stop now as I have to swim in the morning and did.......

Ugh, yeah. I have stopped drinking on days when I have an early workout the next day. I had some wine last night, but don't have to do my bike session until the kids' naptime.
2010-01-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2618003

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-17 5:36 AM

Aside from that, I've been pondering on entering a super sprint distance to "test the water", but my training seems to be going ok and I'm starting to wonder if I should do sprint distance instead.

What did other people do for their 1st race compared to how much training they put it and how was it?

I did a regular sprint as my first race. I walked some on the run, but I definitely finished.
This was maybe in 2000 or so. I did the Leaning Tower Triathlon in Niles, Illinois at a YMCA. It was an indoor swim.
I had a free plan from a triathlon site I was using, and I definitely didn't do every single workout, but I tried. Most of them were 30 minutes or so. The bike sessions of one hour or more were a real struggle because I lived in a really congested area. I was very tough to get going, because there were stop signs or lights seemingly every block. Also, I raced on a different bike than I trained on, because I borrowed it. In hindsight, I should have used my regular bike I had trained on, even though it was heavier and older. The one I borrowed, I didn't really know how to use the quick-release levers, and seat kept slipping down as I was riding because I didn't know how to lock the quick release.
2010-01-17 11:33 AM

New user

Cheers Alice - that boosted my confidence in myself.

Will get a Sprint distance booked as soon as I get paid at the end of the month - then there's no going back!

The 1st one local to me isn't until September, so plenty of time to train and there's a 1 mile televised big swim in Lake Windemere 2 weeks before that so I'll have to get my nae down for that as well.

Keep up the good work.

Pat...

P.S. At least all the snow has nearly gone here and I can get back on the bike tomorrow.

2010-01-18 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Swimming practice went as usual, but my spin class was canceled due to the holiday.
I will have to ride on the trainer again today!

2010-01-18 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2617857

User image

Regular
ddiamond - 2010-01-16 10:03 PMThe Y is also packed at 5:30 in the morning and waiting for a shower got to be a pain: retirees get up early and there is very little sense of urgency on their parts :-)

That's hysterical but I have been able to get to the Y in the middle of the day occassionally (I am really spoiled I get to work from home which allows a certain degree of flexibility) and I do have to admit the retiree crowd is always there - this one woman in the locker room was talking about some fur vest for her dog that cost $1000 dollars - I was highly amused and thought to myself - wow, really? This is the type of crap they talk about. In any event, hope you all are having a good weekend.
What is Fripple Season?
2010-01-19 3:35 AM

Katy
Sunday Hunter (my 12 year old son) and I did the Houston Half Marathon.  We ran and walked, but walked mostly.  I'm so proud of him for finishing.  We hadn't done much training and he was a trooper.  I'm a little sore, but feel great. 
Now I start my real tri training!  With the boys being out of school Monday, I didn't go to the gym; but I also feel that I deserve a day off after 13.1 miles on Sunday!
Both of my boys want to do a tri this summer, so I'm trying to find a kid friendly one.  I know the one that's done right by my house lets kids compete, I'm not sure of them doing it in the middle of July in Houston. (95-100 degrees with 85-100% humidity) We'll see.
Sounds like everyone is keeping on track!  Great job!
My internet at home is getting fixed today!!! Yea! Now I be more up to date with my training log!
2010-01-19 5:17 AM

User image

Subject: The Y

retirees get up early and there is very little sense of urgency on their parts :-)

I can't understand why they get up so early- here they don't seem to take showers, just hog the entire swim lane being splashy slappy joe!  I really struggle with that....I looked at another gym yesterday, and it was beautiful, but not kid friendly...ugh....I guess if you want kid friendly you also have to be slappy joe friendly....
2010-01-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2621015

New user

catroberts - 2010-01-19 3:35 AM Sunday Hunter (my 12 year old son) and I did the Houston Half Marathon.  We ran and walked, but walked mostly.  I'm so proud of him for finishing.  We hadn't done much training and he was a trooper.  I'm a little sore, but feel great. 
Now I start my real tri training!  With the boys being out of school Monday, I didn't go to the gym; but I also feel that I deserve a day off after 13.1 miles on Sunday!
Both of my boys want to do a tri this summer, so I'm trying to find a kid friendly one.  I know the one that's done right by my house lets kids compete, I'm not sure of them doing it in the middle of July in Houston. (95-100 degrees with 85-100% humidity) We'll see.
My internet at home is getting fixed today!!! Yea! Now I be more up to date with my training log!

Awesome job to you and your son! That experience definitely will last a lifetime!
2010-01-19 2:12 PM

New user

Ye ha - well done.

I've never had the bottle to enter something that far yet so good on you and especially good for your son.

Pat...

2010-01-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2622247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Cat - Phat Props to you and Hunter for doing the half...I hope you were both able to enjoy the time together.

Pat - I hear ya about the curry and beer not mixing with training but the important part was you still got out there and swam. I drank a few too many beers a couple of weekends ago (I was staying with my folks), my parents took care of my son so I could go out for a run to try and work some of the beer out -  it was a long 5 miles but I felt better when I was done and even warded off the hangover. Glad to hear that you were able to swim and had better judgement than me to quit while you were ahead - one of these days I hope to learn that lesspn

Sorry to everyone that I have been incognito for a while - I became embroiled in another discussion about an upcoming Tri in Ohio that I will be doing in April as my first Tri. Training is coming along and I got new running shoes yesterday (so pumped). Anyway  hope everyone's training is going well.

2010-01-20 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
catroberts - 2010-01-19 4:35 AM Sunday Hunter (my 12 year old son) and I did the Houston Half Marathon.  We ran and walked, but walked mostly.  I'm so proud of him for finishing.  We hadn't done much training and he was a trooper.  I'm a little sore, but feel great. 

Wow, congratulations!!!!! That's awesome!
2010-01-20 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2621028

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: The Y
operachef - 2010-01-19 6:17 AM  
retirees get up early and there is very little sense of urgency on their parts :-)

I can't understand why they get up so early- here they don't seem to take showers, just hog the entire swim lane being splashy slappy joe!  I really struggle with that....I looked at another gym yesterday, and it was beautiful, but not kid friendly...ugh....I guess if you want kid friendly you also have to be slappy joe friendly....

So true.
The water is warm at the Y pool, which I don't like as a swimmer, but as a mom, it is nice for the kids to not turn blue when they are in the pool.
And yes about the wandering older people. Sigh. At least the ones at my Y are cooperative about all getting in the same lane if the lap swimmers need some space.
2010-01-20 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
So I finally made it to the Y before 7AM (coming from a Masters swim that ends at 6:45 in another location) but I STILL didn't get a spin bike!! GAH! There were 10 people there before me!
So I guess I am getting up early tomorrow for a trainer ride. Sigh. Spin is so much more fun because there are other people to talk to. We have a kind of rowdy group. If only they wouldn't all show up all the time!
2010-01-21 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2621028

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Y
operachef - 2010-01-19 6:17 AM 

Operachef, thanks for the laugh! The visual was priceless.

2010-01-21 7:00 PM

User image

Regular
catroberts - 2010-01-19 4:35 AMSunday Hunter (my 12 year old son) and I did the Houston Half Marathon.  We ran and walked, but walked mostly.  I'm so proud of him for finishing.  We hadn't done much training and he was a trooper.  I'm a little sore, but feel great. 
Congratulations! That's awesome for both of you.
2010-01-22 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Interesting about boot camp/plyo
I was just thinking last night how the first winter that I did Plyometrics (jumping, strength, bursts of power) I had a REALLY difficult time and was sore for a week after the first session.
I only took the class in winter, and did regular training the rest of the year.
The next winter, I was braced for the pain, but it wasn't that bad.
This year, hardly any pain and soreness.

It's kind of amazing that a person can take 9 months off from a type of exercise, and as long as they are remaining active, much of that fitness is still there. It's pretty cool.

I had a rough Wed and Thurs missing workouts because of the spin bikes being taken at the gym, lots of meetings at work, etc.

But things are better today. I am feeling great about my morning workouts, and I have a lunch meeting that is 1.5 miles away, so I'm going to run there and back.
2010-01-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2628755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Interesting about boot camp/plyo

Alice that's great that the plyometrics are coming easier - it's amazing how once we get into the work out routine how we are able to maintain our fitness. I headed out for a run this morning and decided to take a detour off my normal route, by the time I was done, I had run for 60 minutes and had gotten in 6 miles - while 10:00 a mile is by no means fast, I was pretty surprised that I was able to keep the 10:00 pace over the course of those 6 miles (which includes some hills - more up than down). Glad your workout week got better and mad props to you for running to the lunch meeting - I sweat like a man so that would not be an option for me, thank goodness I work from home and we have been able to fight off the use of web-cams (it's been proposed a time or two for the webinars we do) so mostly I live in workout clothes and don't shower until 3:00 in the afternoon (I know I am spoiled).

Cheers - I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2010-01-23 5:17 PM

New user

Can you "webinar" from a turbo trainer Wink

Pat...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12