BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-22 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2627745

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
Lovey - 2010-01-21 8:22 PM How is everyone doing? I had a slow and hard 4 mile run tonight. My stomach didn't feel right, I had to take an outside potty break and my 5 miler became a 4 miler. My heart rate was was constantly climbing and I had a hard time keeping it down. Just a bad run all around. I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS8 (2008 model). I love them. I still have two pairs in my closet so by the time I finish those, the 2011 model should be out. I NEED sleep. I've been having a hard time getting to bed and to sleep and still have to wake up at 5 am to go to the gym..Last night I went to bed at 2am and was up and at the pool by 6am this morning. It makes for a difficult workout. That may have contributed to my bad run tonight too.

It makes a world of difference for me if I haven't had enough sleep.  Usually my runs by the end of the week are much worse than closer to the beginning and I believe this has to do with me being more tired at the end of the week.  I tend to "catch up" on my sleep over the weekend.

BTW, I'm jealous of you having 2 more pairs of GTS8's.  I am on my last pair and can't find any more anywhere, even the internet.  (At least not in my size)  I'm going to have to break down and go back to my running store and see if the 9's (or haven't the 10's come out now?) fit me as well or if I need to try something else. 

2010-01-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Raleigh, NC
^^ Sleep deprivation as well as my  period have a HUGE affect on me as far as how easy or hard the workout goes.
http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/training/women/menstruation.asp
I'm reading the book "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel and he talks a good deal about sleep deprivation and how much you need it (and possibly need more of it) when you're working out every single day.
2010-01-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2628401

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Innocentali - check for any big races in your area that have health expo's. I bought some of my shoes at overstock.com but the Marine Corp Marathon has a huge expo in October. I bought 2 pairs of GTS8 for my son for $30 each. All the shops there had the new GTS10 but were selling off older models.

BTW - I slept 8 hours last night and felt better this morning and opted to skip my 1 hour Body Pump class so I could sleep in a little and rest my body before I had to rush to work.
2010-01-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2629662

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Good decision, Lovey- way to listen to your body.

It's amazing how much rest factors into everything we do. The baby slept 6 hours last night! She also has slept most of today and I'm dreading tonight.

Our local triathlon club has our winter expo tomorrow- should be fun just to get out and see my friends. I also have a long run scheduled tomorrow, and hopefully a short run and bike (mini brick) on sunday. We'll see- it's supposed to rain all day here on Sunday which would affect my run (I do not like to run in the rain).

Everyone have a great weekend!
2010-01-22 11:08 PM

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
What is a 'brick'?  
2010-01-22 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2630093

User image

Master
run2pray - 2010-01-22 9:08 PM What is a 'brick'?  

doing two sports in a row - ride your bike and immediately go for a run, no rest, simulates racing.

It is also what I need to hit my head with - forgot my gym shorts one day this week, my undies another.  Not a well organized week a the gym!!  but I did get a few decent workouts and am liking 2010 so far!

But now I have a sick son, his birthday party is Sunday so I'm hopefully he'll be well.  He asked to go to bed tonight :-( so you know he's not feeling well.  2010 has not been healthy for my kids!

-Cynthia

2010-01-24 6:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hey Ladies-

Everyone got off to such a strong start with training. As we head into the end of January, it's really easy to talk yourself out of going to the gym, or running in the cold/rain/snow. Yes, life gets in the way- but try and use that excuse only once in awhile. I am trying to stick to not having more than 2 rest days a week, most weeks it is 1 rest day which is best for me. Right now I only do one workout area a day, so that goal works for me, but would not work for people who have the time to fit in several workouts in one day.

My whole point is this- ask Jo, ask Ginny- we are heading into dreaded February, when people drop off in training and then disappear. I'd really like everyone to still be going, so even if last week was tough and you didn't get many workouts in, start anew this week!

Today I have a friend bringing her bike over and we're riding on the trainers together. Chatting should make the bike go pretty fast today! My goal is 30 minutes- I don't want her to get too sore. And, since she is coming over, it will probably mean I do not fit in my mini-brick workout.

I have a new event- April 25, 5 man relay team, Glass City Marathon. THat is two weekends in a row I will be running a marathon relay. Keeps me motivated to run!

Does anyone have a specific individual goal they are working on this week? My goal is to get back into the pool. Of course, that depends on the baby. Wish me luck...
2010-01-24 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Anne-it sounds like you are doing great. It is easier to train with a friend, especially on a boring trainer.

I decided to do Chicago Marathon this year.  I scored hotels already for this and for USAF half.  I have mapped out my running training from now until Oct, using some Hal Higdon plans.  My goals for this week are to continue eating clean and healthy (doing good since Monday) and to get some training in every day, even yoga.  I would like to keep my peachy streak going. 

I had fitness testing done yesterday (it is monthly) and it screws with my head because there really is minimal, if any progress since Oct.   The only real positive was my HR was down with a step test, so maybe my endurance is improving a little.  I will keep plugging away.  I asked my husband "why do I do this" and his answer, albeit very simple, made sense and it will be my mantra, "because its going to get you across the finish line". 

2010-01-24 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Hey all!  Looks like everyone has had a pretty good week with the exception of some sleepless nights and some sick kiddos.  All is well here.  Took 3 days off to rest my hip. After an 80 min run this morn, I think it's my groin. 

I'm off to New Orleans for work this week- I work at Loyola University New Orleans, but do it from my home in NH.  It's pretty awesome.  But this is a very stressful and busy week. I should get in some workouts- they have an awesome olympic sized pool on campus.

I agree with Anne that you can't give up now that Feb is coming. I said to my BF this morning on our run that I secretly keep hoping my body will bounce back into marathon shape in a few weeks.  Rationally, I know this is totally ridiculous, but sometimes with all of the efforts, you hope to see more tangible results very quickly.

Jo- congrats on lowering your heart rate and to those who have signed up for more races!  I think seeing my motivation to do more things, have more energy and even sleeping better are all tangible effects of my workouts over the last 6 weeks.  Keep trudging along!!  I'll hopefully check in if I've got some time this week.  I also need to avoid the king cake that will be in our office daily.  Oy.

Have a great week ladies and keep up the AWESOME work!!
2010-01-24 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Not sure I'm up to working out 6 days a week yet. I know my body and my schedule. Work is quite physically demanding--I stand bent over people all day working out their tight muscles and pushing on their backs...then add 4 kids, a husband in school who is a little overwhelmed and not able to help out much....and I think I'll just stick with my 4 days a week for now.

I met my 2 major goals this week--do 2 mini bricks and a long run of 7 miles. We also are all signed up for the YMCA membership now so Thursday I hope to get a good long swim in--weather provided.

I remember when I first started doing 3 sports and was extremely zealous. I got IM fever real fast and to be honest, I was probably training as many hours as those training for an IM, I just wasn't doing as many miles because I am so slow. Then I overtrained and started fainting and pulled a hamstring muscle. Because of all the hours and hours of training, my kids started doing things like painting my couch blue when I was on the treadmill and my work suffered too. Bottom line--I realized that building for an ironman or a half IM or even a sprint tri is going to be a slow steady process for me. Balance in my life is now more important than proving I can push myself for 12 hours straight. Now I do this because I love it, not because I'm trying to control my body or prove something. I don't look at other people's logs now and feel inferior, now I just try to inspire people and encourage them at whatever level they are on.

I think a slower heart rate in one month's time is outstanding!! Well done (can't remember who posted that, sorry).

I also think training at all with a baby is superhuman and not something I was able to accomplish until now.

I think running after being a couch potato and losing bunches of weight is extremely inspiring.

And Lovey, I want you to finish that swim and then the whole triathlon and post a pic with your broad smile for us all to admire!!

We are all doing wonderful things and I am enjoying watching you all as you play the game of life as a triathlete. Remember to have fun!
2010-01-25 5:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Nice pick-me-up post, Phoenix!!!!

Remember how I mentioned people drop off in February? I have you gals, and then I also have friends around here I have recruited. One gal is doing the bike leg of a sprint tri relay for me on Father's day. Her husband is training for his first IM, and had we not had the baby, my husband would be training with him. She is going strong on her bike, and I am so happy!

But my others? Falling away fast....
One gal said last SUMMER she would do the women's tri with me this year. I sent her email after email, then finally got a phone call about two weeks ago and printed out a bunch of training plans for her to choose from, and instructions on how to get on BT. And, now- nothing. And the friend who was supposed to bike on the trainers with me yesterday? She told me to call her and give her an hours notice. I called at 1, she was napping, which is cool- we both have babies. Then I called at 2:30 and again at 3:45. No answer. I was afraid there was an emergency, but I could see lights on and knew she was home.....

I need to remember that one of the biggest hurdles for beginners is just making the time to get the workouts in. I used to be the queen of excuses- I made excuses to not workout for about 8 years. I figured out that I have to schedule the workouts just like I schedule my week- and then they get done. Sounds like most of you do that too and know what schedule works for you, like phoenix.

I'm sad about losing my pals, and I will keep on them for about a week, then let it go and hope maybe they'll be interested again in a month, or next year.

BOTH of my kids are sneezing, the oldest is couging so hard she sounds like she has consumption. Shaping up to be a great day! I think today will be my slow day and I will get groceries and stock up on gatorade and chicken soup- I predict the oldest kid is going to be sick at least one day this week, just depends on when she gets a fever.

My BIG GOAL this week is to get back in the pool. Does anyone else have a particular goal? My day to swim is either Tuesday or Thursday, when I know the nursery will be the least busy.

2010-01-25 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Anne, that WOULD be really frustrating!! I'm a fan of just doing individual events--once I thought being a part of a relay sounded like soooo much fun. Then I emailed all my exercise friends and talked to the running club and the tri club....and....nothing. No one wanted to be part of a relay because of the simple fact that stuff happens and people lose interest or die or whatever. Some folks are in it for a fad and some of us are trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I look at my genetics and figure I better move my body and push my cardiovascular or I'll be really old by 60 like my grandparents. Or dead at 44 like my father.

Anyone know of a really good hair conditioner to counteract all that chlorine from the pool??? (yeah, it's a chick question--good thing we are all chicks) My hair color is gonna fade fast when I start to swim again....bah!!
2010-01-25 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2632832

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Ultraswim shampoo and conditioner are made specifically for chlorine hair. They sell separately but also as a 2-in-1 bottle. A swim shop, or beauty supply should have it.

There is also Paul Mitchell. The Shampoo Three is for Chlorine.

I have use both. Ulta Swim is cheaper. Whichever, I use, I also use a good conditioner afterwards that is made for ethnic hair.
2010-01-25 3:09 PM

User image

Raleigh, NC
I don't color my hair, so my hair dresser suggested I get Paul Mitchell Clarifying shampoo http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/Clarifying/PublishingImages/ClShampooThreeProduct.jpg

I think if you do get your hair processed in any way, you should check with your hair dresser and see what they recommend.  The biggest recommendation of all is to put conditioner into your rinsed off hair prior to swimming.  I find that this makes it difficult to keep my swim cap on my head, so I don't do this...but everyone that does it swears by it.
2010-01-25 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Definitely check with your stylist- I found my color actually stayed fine and I expected it all to go to heck. But I have very strange hair that holds color forever. I like that, but my stylist would certainly like to get paid more often to color it.

Ultraswim is what we used in HS on swim team. Recommend it!

Today was my day off- errands and holding the baby and a bit of Wii Fit.

Please, if you have time, check on your fellow mentor forum pals and leave some inspires. We've got some gals that have had some tough days, or are already off to a rough start on their weeks, and they could use the extra love.
2010-01-26 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2634023

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

This article puts things in perspective.  Enjoy.

Body Check's Enjoying the view form the Back of the Pack

2010-01-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2635571

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
GREAT article- thank you for sharing it!!!! Reminds me of my tri and race mantra- I'm just doing it to finish.

I have a sick kid sleeping/snoring/snotting in my bed, the toddler upstairs for a nap, and can not get the baby to sleep. She has hiccups right now and is p-i-s-s-e-d. I need a shower too. Life, getting in the way.

It's snowing here and I want it to stop because I woud like to fit in a short run tonight. Chances seem slim right now. Off to cure the baby's hiccups....
2010-01-26 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
After a great week, I had a rough and emotional weekend and after my Saturday morning run, I didn't workout until this morning. Then I was late and had to convince myself to go because otherwise it won't get done later.

Hopefully I can repeat last week's workout this week but it will be hard. That work life balance thing again.

Lovey
2010-01-26 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2635931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Lovey- everyone needs time off. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Take deep breaths- the balance will come...

If this was easy, everyone would do it, right? Keep up the good work!
2010-01-27 11:35 AM

User image

New user

I am alive!!  Sorry I have disappeared.  It has just been a little crazy around here.  I have still been training, even though I haven't logged in.  Sorry about that.  I will try better to log in everyday.  Hope everyone is doing good and I wil talk to you all soon!

amber
2010-01-27 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2628401

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Hey Ali - I finally had a chance to read through some of your blog... looks GREAT!  It is so inspiring to me to hear about what other people are thinking as they try to incorporate training into their life.  It made me laugh when you said you were soon going to be 'one of those people' who go to bed at 9 pm (.... that's my target bedtime!)  Do you take a multi-vitamin?  It might help with some of your fatigue. 

2010-01-27 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2632373

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
phoenix - I loved your post too!  So encouraging!  Finding that balance is something I desire too.  I don't want my family to ever regret the fact that mom is doing this.... I am concerned that if I don't train for 6 days a week, if I will be ready.  Because I really don't want this to TAKE OVER my life... just become a part of it.  I want to take small steps that I can continue to incorporate into a life-long habit - without burning out.  I guess I want someone to reassure me that MODERATION in training will get me ready to do this.  I'm not looking to be first - just to finish!

Oh, and I also think that people with babies doing this are AMAZING!  I was SO zapped at that stage in my families life that I could barely find the coffee maker in the morning.... so I give them BIG kudos!

2010-01-27 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
I'm still alive too. Husband is busy with school and putting in really long hours so I am babysitter-less unless the other kids can keep her happy while I try to work out. Some times it works.......

And then my heater bit the dust at my office. Fortunately, my fix-it guys are cutting me a great deal, selling me a new furnace at their cost so I just have to come up with that plus labor. Unfortunately, I just paid property taxes and payroll taxes and quarterly taxes and personal property taxes........sigh.....

The good news is that biking doesn't make my legs hurt so darn bad now Yah!! And my arms and shoulders aren't killing me as bad on the bike now too. Small steps.

My husband worked out at the Y today for the first time in a couple years. He said he did the bike warm up and got in a whole five minutes of weight training before calling it a day. Might make all you super stars feel better about yourselves!! Hey, at least he got in five minutes, right??!!
2010-01-27 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Joyce--did I read that you are 45??? Cuz lady, you look about 25. What's your secret?

Actually, all you ladies look great. Maybe there's something healthy about this tri stuff, eh?
2010-01-27 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Spinning vs Biking.

Right now the temps in my area range from 20 to 40 degrees. The bike club serious riders are still riding and I am too slow to keep up. As I have never ridden outdoors in the winter, I prefer to not go alone as there will be very little if any traffic on the trails. However, I can't seem to convince any of my friends to ride with me. They look at me as if I asked them to jump over a cliff.

Anyway, in the meantime I am doing spinning to keep up my bike exercise. Should I be adding my spinning class workouts under sports or would it be better served putting in the bike section and just not fill out the miles since the spiining bikes don't track it?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29