Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-05-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2841880

User image

Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
Here is my question  :
 According to the training schedule I have set out.  I will be ready for Olympic distance by August, but I am participating in a sprint event.  I have been reading some articles about it.  Closer to the race, should I work more on my intensity?  I know that it will make the race seem shorter, but will it help my speed?

Thanks,
Amber

2010-05-06 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I can't ask any questions, I don't have any of my time trials done yet. Innocent  But I can give my 2 cents on speed work or high intensity training.  My swim coach passed this tidbit of training wisdom on to me. 

Speed work is the big cannon that you use to hit your target.  If you shoot that cannon from a battleship, you have a good chance of making your goal.  If you shoot it from a canoe, you sink yourself.  You gotta have a good base before you fire your big guns.  You build a solid base over time with LCD mileage.  Be careful with the speedwork. 

My opinion would be : if you are truly starting out, I'd follow a beginner plan and only do intensity work as it prescribes.  Consistency over time is the key.  An overuse injury can set you back 6 months or more.  Then you have to start over on the conditioning, and that is not fun.   I am speaking from experience here.  Now if I could only learn from my own mistakes.Tongue out
2010-05-07 3:12 AM
in reply to: #2842727

User image

Veteran
Thanks. Noted. I will be careful.

Cheers,

Rod.
2010-05-07 3:21 AM
in reply to: #2841880

User image

Veteran
Brian. This is really helpful. Thanks. Do the Gels you use have caffeine in them? If not why do you choose not to have the extra caffeine? Also - so you don't have a "formal" recovery drink after racing? Just real food (plus a cokeSmile), if this is right I'm just curious as to why not.

Thanks.

Rod.
2010-05-07 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Nice euphemism about the cannon. 

Amber, I'm assuming you are doing the Oly training plan because you have the time and want to overtrain for your event to be extra prepared (and to be an "in shape momma").  If life does get busy, don't feel bad about scaling back to a sprint training program because it will definitely prepare you plenty.  I do think you should wait to do speedwork until you get closer to your event and take the time to build your base first.  But, if your body doesn't handle speedwork well, I wouldn't feel obligated to do it.

You are in a weird position.  Your first triathlon is about mental preparation and building an endurance base.  It isn't really about performance.  It is just a learning experience that you use to establish your goals for the next one and then improve upon that base.  You CAN do speedwork and it WILL help your speed but there is also no reason you need to do it to enjoy your first triathlon. 

Edited by crazyalaskian 2010-05-07 8:08 AM
2010-05-07 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Amber - a little more on speed work.

Strides. http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/strides.html   Joe Freil says that you can do these during every phase including base building.  I find that the older I get the more beneficial these are.   After my ACL replacement last year these were key to getting me back on track.

Also when you decide it is ok to start doing speed work, you should ease into it.  Don't go straight to the track and start doing 1/4 mile repeats.  You can start by adding a hilly course, then some negative splits (meaning the last half of the run is faster than the first half), then some fartlek runs, then maybe graduating to some tempo runs.

A good hard interval session at the track is my favorite part of triathlon training.  I have a hard time being patient enough to prepare my body for them.  But as I get older my body talks a little louder telling me to slow down a bit and wait.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-05-07 12:07 PM

2010-05-07 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2843971

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks guys!  I am a little bit of an over achiever in things, and I guess it is spilling into this!    I am just going to enjoy my first one Laughing.  I think I may be getting a little over confident, because I am finally not getting sore anymore. 
2010-05-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2842921

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Oh Rod ... now you've done it!  True exposure of my tri-geekdomness.

To be able to decipher the answer you should first read this on glycogen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen. It is not a bad read (I promise). 

The short answer is that relatively recent (2008) studies have shown the beneficial effects of caffeine as it relates to nutrition and endurance activities. As such, it is something that should be taken in - within moderation and the full understanding that it will still keep you up at night if taken late. (Ask me how I know that!)  Here is an article on the effect of caffeine as it relates to fueling and endurance exercise: http://medheadlines.com/2008/07/02/caffeine-carbs-quickly-refuel-muscles-spent-during-exercise/

This leads to a secondary issue; how to fuel post-workout.  You have a metabolic window of opportunity to replentist the energy spent and to short-circuit the digestive process to begin repairing the muscles your stressed while exercising .  This is important in that you get muscularly stronger and build endurance not by the act of exercise but through the process of recovering from that exercise.

There is a detailed medical reason as to why this happens (which has something to do with the liver being able to do something or rather) but suffice it to say that you want to ingest a ratio of something like 4:1 carbs to protein ... with some of those carbs being simple sugars (remember, those are the easiest to process).

I use Endurox for a recovery drink but that is largely out of habit.  Gu Sports has a new recovery drink that is highly thought of.  Both have not only a similar carb to protein ratio but other good stuff to assist with your recovery.  Some athletes just use simple chocolate milk as it has a simple ratio profile (provided that a dairy product will sit well with you post-work out).

Also, if you take in calories right after your workout you will avoid feeling ravenously hungry later. (This has something to do with your body thinking that it needs to stockpile fuel due to the potential of future rapid caloric expenditures.)

Bottom-line: drink something within 20 minutes of completing your workout. 

Rod1 - 2010-05-07 4:21 AM Brian. This is really helpful. Thanks. Do the Gels you use have caffeine in them? If not why do you choose not to have the extra caffeine? Also - so you don't have a "formal" recovery drink after racing? Just real food (plus a cokeSmile), if this is right I'm just curious as to why not.

Thanks.

Rod.
2010-05-08 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Now I feel smart since my post-long run ritual is an iced chai tea latte.  Sweet!  Wish I had one after my ride today.  
2010-05-10 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Okay, there has been some general 'slackiness' in keeping the training logs up-to-date.  Remember that this is a key ingredient in the Mentor Group program as it is the window into your workouts, the manner in which you receive feedback and motiviation from your peers and ... most importantly ... the means by which you hold yourself accountable to accomplishing your workouts.

I cannot tell you how many times I have stood on deck at the pool at 5:30 am, staring at the water and comptemplating the reasons why I did not want to do that workout ... but got in the water because I knew my BT friends would dog me for not doing it.

And why is this accountability important? Why do you need to consistently train for two weeks?  ... because results from exercise, first and foremost, are the sum total of the consistency of the exercise performed not the individual total of each workout.  Endurance is not like a bank account where each mile is like depositing a dollar whereby it is stored for later use.  It truly is a case of 'use or loose'.

It is for this reason that some of a work out performed is infinitely better than none of a workout done.

Log your workout!

... that is all, please now returned to your normally scheduled programming already in progress
2010-05-10 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Confession time-   I have used a former mentor group to hold me accountable.  When sitting at work completely exhausted trying to talk myself out of training after work, I would log my planned workout before it was done.  When I would get an inspire about what an awesome workout it was,  then well....., I was obligated to do it, no matter how lazy I was feeling.

2010-05-10 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2848486

User image

Expert
ray6foot7 - 2010-05-10 12:18 PM Confession time-   I have used a former mentor group to hold me accountable.  When sitting at work completely exhausted trying to talk myself out of training after work, I would log my planned workout before it was done.  When I would get an inspire about what an awesome workout it was,  then well....., I was obligated to do it, no matter how lazy I was feeling.

Sneaky....you know you can also do that by putting in your planned stuff under "overall comments" and then replacing it in the "actual" entries when you complete it.  If I enter in "I've got a 45 min easy spin left to do today", I feel obligated to explain why I didn't follow through and it's often easier to just do it.  Now, sometimes I don't mention that (like yesterday) and you'll only notice it if you try to figure out why my actual time over the week was less than my planned Smile.  But seriously, especially for people who don't have an imported plan, putting your planned workouts into writing definitely helps on the motivation side even if it is only looking out one day.
2010-05-10 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2848918

User image

Nashville, TN
Ok...so this may be a stupid question, but where do I find what my heart rates are for zones 1/2/3/4.  Is there some chart or artlice for newbies that is helpful?  I am trying to get my polar watch set up (although in my true form not reading the directions, maybe I should break them out).
How do you know what zone you are supposed to be in?
2010-05-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2850192

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Amber,

First  ... awesome that you are going to do HR training.  It will definitely enable you to hone in on your training zones and therefore make your workouts more productive.

Setting up your zones is not as simple as doing that ridiculous "220-your age + turn around three times and spit".  This formula has been debunked by a list of experts in the field, the most motable of which the original author of the article.

There is a whole BT thread on the subject that goes on and on about the reasons why the above formula method is wrong.  Pack a sandwich and/or open a new bottle of wine before you embark upon reading it as it is loooong.

The Cliff Notes version can be found in Coach Mike Ricci's original post. Take a read and then fire away with any questions!

How many of you triathletes out there are using this formula? Put up your hand and admit it - I can't see you through cyber space :-)

If I read one more message that says the athlete is using this formula, I am going off the DEEP END! People, this is not correct. It may work, but chances are very slim it will work for you. Of course the 15 people that it works for will post that it does work - but my point is that for the MAJORITY, this formula of 220-AGE = MAX Heart Rate - DOES NOT WORK!

Your best bet is to get some lab testing done to find out your Lactate Threshold. If you don't have access to a lab for whatever reason (location or $) don't fret. We have 'field' tests that you can do and the only thing you need is you, your Heart Rate Monitor and some 3 D's: Desire, Determination, and Discipline.

Field test for bike and run:
Determining Bike Training Zones

In biking we want to know our heart rate training zones. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. I do advocate doing both an inside and outside LT tests.

Bike test protocol for inside testing:

The warm-up is 15 minutes of cycling, moving through the different gears, always keeping the cadence above 90 RPMS. Do a few short sprints to get your heart rate up and ready for the test!

You should start out in a gear that you can maintain 90 RPMS in. Make sure you remember what gear you started in.

The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
15 minutes easy cool down.

Example:
Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute bike TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with:
Zone 1 - 102-125
Zone 2 - 136-139
Zone 3 - 140-145
Zone 4 - 146- 155
Zone 5a - 156-159
Zone 5b - 160-164
Zone 5c - 165-170

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Determining Run Training Zones

In running we want to know our heart rate training zones as well. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. This is best if done on a flat uninterrupted path or trail.

Run test protocol:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
15 minutes easy cool down.

Example:
Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute run TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with:
Zone 1 - 102-125
Zone 2 - 136-139
Zone 3 - 140-145
Zone 4 - 146- 155
Zone 5a - 156-159
Zone 5b - 160-164
Zone 5c - 165-170

IF you want to compare my method of choice to other methods you can read this:
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heartrate.html

IF you want to get educated on what the zones mean: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Train Smart, Train Right, and get fitter and faster. Isn't that the point?

Peace,
Mike
-----
Mike Ricci
D3 Multisport:
The Official Coaching Service to BeginnerTriathlete.com
www.D3Multisport.com/bt/
USAT Level III Coach
Head Coach University of CO
2010 National Champions

outtashape momma - 2010-05-10 11:16 PM Ok...so this may be a stupid question, but where do I find what my heart rates are for zones 1/2/3/4.  Is there some chart or artlice for newbies that is helpful?  I am trying to get my polar watch set up (although in my true form not reading the directions, maybe I should break them out).
How do you know what zone you are supposed to be in?
2010-05-11 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
When you do start HR training, don't be surprised at how slow you will feel like you are going at first.  I had run for years before getting a heart rate monitor.  When I started I thought that there was no way I was getting any conditioning running that slow.  I felt like I was going slow enough to count blades of grass.  I might as well be walking, but I stuck with it anyways.  Eventually, I was able to run faster at a lower HR.  Be patient with it.  It does work.

I have nicknamed my heart rate monitor "The Governor" because of how slow it makes me train on my zone 2 runs.
2010-05-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2851025

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Good point, Ray.  I went through the same thing and despite running 10k's in sub-7:30/mi range was reduced to walking in order to stay within Zone 2. It made me question the whole HR testing protocal and HR training in general. I stuck with it, though, because I had reached a plateau in my distance progression and couldn't go longer than 6 miles before fading.

The patience paid off as I can now run 10+ miles at the Z1/Z2 in the 7:30/mi range.

As mentioned before, consistency is cumulative ... add training in the right zones and you get more results.

ray6foot7 - 2010-05-11 11:10 AM When you do start HR training, don't be surprised at how slow you will feel like you are going at first.  I had run for years before getting a heart rate monitor.  When I started I thought that there was no way I was getting any conditioning running that slow.  I felt like I was going slow enough to count blades of grass.  I might as well be walking, but I stuck with it anyways.  Eventually, I was able to run faster at a lower HR.  Be patient with it.  It does work.

I have nicknamed my heart rate monitor "The Governor" because of how slow it makes me train on my zone 2 runs.

2010-05-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2851025

User image

Expert
Ditto what Ray said about feeling like you are going SLOW.  When I first started using HR zones and I also hadn't been running much, I had a really hard time staying in Zone 2.  I'd be in Zone 1 doing a quick walk and the second I started "jogging" it would jump up to Zone 3.  Pain in the butt.  Now I can run in Zone 2 with no problems but I still have to be "reminded" to slow down every once in a while.

(And don't worry about the 5 a/b/c stuff, you can just lump those into Zone 5)
2010-05-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2851099

User image

Regular
That is sooo good to know that other people feel like they're just crawling in Zone II. I haven't been training with my heart rate monitor for awhile because I need to get a new battery, but when I was using it for running I would have an awful time keeping my heart rate down. For whatever reason I can keep in the right zone (more or less) biking and swimming, but I hate running slow. 

On a different note, what is the best approach to training when you're sick? I took yesterday completely off, but I'm supposed to be doing an hour an a half tempo bike workout today. Should I do an easier workout or do I have to skip it altogether?  (I'm not dying or anything; I just have a bad cold that's making me feel totally wiped)
2010-05-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2851503

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
IronCowgirl - 2010-05-11 1:28 PM ... what is the best approach to training when you're sick? I took yesterday completely off, but I'm supposed to be doing an hour an a half tempo bike workout today. Should I do an easier workout or do I have to skip it altogether?  (I'm not dying or anything; I just have a bad cold that's making me feel totally wiped)

I tend to do a truncated workout ... just something enough to get the blood moving for more than 20 minutes. And, fwiw, I often find that I feel better after the workout than before.
2010-05-11 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2852031

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks for all the advice!  I already feel like I run like a turtle, so I can only imagine !!
2010-05-11 10:11 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Okay Brian, I'm back in the saddle now after a few days of neglecting to log and to work out! Busy time. Thanks everybody for the posts, they've gotten me motivated to not skip a workout, even if I can only do 20 mins. I think I may dare my running time trial tomorrow....

2010-05-12 3:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Re: HR training. Oh no! I'm planning on starting HR training in next few weeks - but I don't want to run slower!!! :-)

On another topic: Pre-race warm ups. I've noticed that my fastest and most relaxed swim intervals come about 30-40% into my work out. In my first interval I tend to feel "puffed" and can feel muscles until warmed up. On Saturday I am doing a super short sprint distance Tri (300m/6k/1.5k), the swim section will be over before I have warmed up and got into rhythm - unless I can warm up before hand. Any suggestions on warm up routines, and the optimal time before races to do them? Hours before? Minutes before? Both? Presumably it needs to be long enough before that HR is back at resting level for race start?
2010-05-12 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2851503

User image

Veteran
Hi Erica.

I read a piece a few years ago on training with a cold. Broadly it suggested that there is no evidence that not exercising will prolong a cold, and suggested (like Brian said) doing a considerably reduced work out - from memory they were suggesting 50% of what you would normally do, I would consider this as intensity and volume reduction, not just volume.

On the other hand I had a friend years ago, who was a reasonably fit regular runner, who pushed through his running with a flu. A month later he had a pacemaker fitted, and his advice afterward was "whatever you do don't exercise when you feel unwell". I suspect he probably had a minor unknown heart problem, but that the strain he put on his heart while training while with a flu brought it to the fore.

I had a reasonably bad cold (but not flu - ie: no temperature, or flu aching muscles) earlier this year, and pushed through maintaining my exercise (but at a slightly reduced intensity), I noticed that while everyone else I knew that caught the cold got over it in a week, it took me two weeks (so much for the article I mentioned earlier).

My (uneducated) advice would be, if its just a cold, train, but take it easy, and remember that your body will need more rest and sleep to get over your cold quickly. If you have something more severe (temperature, aching muscles etc) take it really really easy if you do decide to train, and be really quick to pack it in and call it a day. In either case listen to your body!
2010-05-12 5:49 AM
in reply to: #2853052

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Rod,

To warm-up prior to the sprint distance race try doing 3 to 4 quick "pick-ups" running and, if possible, in the water 20-30 minutes before the start.  The pick-ups are short burst of speed, nothing longer than 15-20 seconds.

This will get your muscles warmed up and your HR flowing.

See if that helps.

Rod1 - 2010-05-12 4:24 AM Re: HR training. Oh no! I'm planning on starting HR training in next few weeks - but I don't want to run slower!!! :-)

On another topic: Pre-race warm ups. I've noticed that my fastest and most relaxed swim intervals come about 30-40% into my work out. In my first interval I tend to feel "puffed" and can feel muscles until warmed up. On Saturday I am doing a super short sprint distance Tri (300m/6k/1.5k), the swim section will be over before I have warmed up and got into rhythm - unless I can warm up before hand. Any suggestions on warm up routines, and the optimal time before races to do them? Hours before? Minutes before? Both? Presumably it needs to be long enough before that HR is back at resting level for race start?
2010-05-12 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks Rod! I'm feeling a lot better today, so I'll put in my cut-down workouts. I've skipped a few classes to get extra sleep, been drinking lots of water and taking my vitamins so hopefully I'll be back on top by the end of the week. I better be, 'cus on Saturday a group of us are heading up the Trail of the Coeur 'd Alenes which is a 72-mile paved loop for bikes and such and I'm super excited about it. I've never ridden more than about 30 miles at a time, so this will give me an opportunity to see how far I can get in a day. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13