General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-03-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3408883

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread

mikoy - 2011-03-22 12:05 PM I hope the training is going well for you all.  Does anyone have any advice for a 1st timer?  I have only done one other triathlon (Silverman 70.3). I am starting to get that scared nervousness about this race.

I haven't done this race yet (and there are plenty of other threads in general for IM training), but maybe someone who has done the race please (e.g. LittleCat) can chime in, but here are some things I glean from what others have said:

- prepare for a cold swim

- the bike is hilly, but Silverman is hillier.  If you can do the Silverman full course comfortably, you should be fine for IM SG

- run is hilly, but can always walk.  I had to do some significant walking because of knee issues at IM NZ - it wasn't glamorous, but it got the job done.

2011-03-22 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3408950

User image

Master
San Francisco
transitionfour - 2011-03-22 12:36 PM 

Glad you guys liked the graphic. 

I hope the race does stick around for the long haul. And, I think the fact that the race seems to be gaining appeal to a young demographic (men < 35, women < 30 were all up significantly) would make it the kind of race WTC would want to promote. It is the kind of event that would appeal to some people that might be more inclined towards Xterra type races I think.

Another interesting fact that didn't make it into the graphic was that international registrations were way up, nearly doubled from last year. I don't know if that is because of a building reputation, the fact that registration has been available for longer, a cheaper dollar, or some combination. But, it would be cool if this race built into something like Lanzarote -- a race known as one of the most difficult Ironman races. 

Yes, that is interesting about international registrations.  I'll give you my opinion of IM SG vs. Lanzarote after I do IM SG.    Lanzarote also occurs in may, although late may. They could always move the date (a la IM AZ).  The notorious difficulty of Lanzarote is also undoubtedly a draw for many (anecdotally, I would say that the average fitness of athletes at Lanzarote seemed higher than at US-based IMs I've done), but then less appealing to first timers.  Lanzarote is also a fairly significant vacation destination for europeans.

2011-03-22 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2941892

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

So far good advice.

I did a cold open water swim this past Saturday. Water temp was 56F, air temp was low 50's, wind was 40 mph and gust to 50. They canceled the 1500m course so I did the 800m. Time was 17mins. I had no problem with the cold, it was the waves that killed me.

I have been biking the Redrock loop here in Vegas and feel good with that, I can do the Silverman course rolling hills well.

Run is well I hate running, but am getting better.

Any other tips? Even tips about racing in general, how to set up transition, or what do you all put in the special needs bag? etc...

Thanks again!!

2011-03-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3409120

User image

Master
San Francisco
mikoy - 2011-03-22 1:53 PM

Any other tips? Even tips about racing in general, how to set up transition, or what do you all put in the special needs bag? etc...

There are many existing threads here on BT that have discussed this, so I'd recommend reading/participating in those discussions.

Reading past race reports helps give you a feel for the particulars of a given race.

2011-03-22 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Thanks for the graphic!! Love it! I hope it sticks around cuz I for one would like to try a KQ in SG in the next couple years.

There big 3 are what D. mentioned-
-Cold water swim, that is colder when you get to the middle. Neoprene cap is a must. Be prepared to have numb hands and feet when you get out.

-The hills on the bike, folks who are not used to climbing long steady hills tend to try to drill them. Ease into them at a comfortable pace, the only time to give it a little gas is towards the top. This goes x100 the climb out of Gunlock to Veyo. Its deceptive and its tempting to push it, then you reach the halfway point and it gets steeper, then steeper still. There are plenty of downhill, flatish areas to grab recovery-use it well. There is a 1 block climb right toward the end that basically sucks. Its short, but its annoying since there is a hair pin that forces you to a snail pace, then up the hill. And the last thing anyone wants is yet another climb 1 mile from T2.

The run, yep you can walk. The hardest areas are the climb 2.5 miles out of town: 1/3 mile at an 8% grade. The other harsh place that most people don't think about is the 2 miles leading to the 6/18 mile turn around. First time you get to it its a nice steady downhill that just keeps going, then you realize you have to go back up it. Running heavy hills in training is a definite advantage.

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Suzanne.
2011-03-22 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Other things you can expect:
-AMAZING volunteers
-Awesome folks along the route cheering-ESPECIALLY for us girls
-A beautiful area that will take your breath away
-A swim that goes around a stunning red rock formation that juts out of the water
-Super friendly folks around town

Dont forget to lift your head on the bike and look around you. The scenery is stunning!

2011-03-22 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3409498

SLC

LittleCat - 2011-03-22 7:50 PM Other things you can expect: -AMAZING volunteers -Awesome folks along the route cheering-ESPECIALLY for us girls -A beautiful area that will take your breath away -A swim that goes around a stunning red rock formation that juts out of the water -Super friendly folks around town Dont forget to lift your head on the bike and look around you. The scenery is stunning!

I second these thoughts -- the volunteers and the whole organization of the event last year were so good. And,  even though the run is hard, the view is pretty fantastic for most of the time while you're up above the town. 

2011-03-22 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I loved when running above town with the acoustics you could here Mike Riley announcing finishers!

And the little band up there was pretty cool too!
2011-03-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3409714

SLC

LittleCat - 2011-03-22 10:05 PM I loved when running above town with the acoustics you could here Mike Riley announcing finishers! And the little band up there was pretty cool too!

I did like that. I was up just past Skyline Drive on my first run loop when I heard Michi Weiss going into the finish. He only had about a 21 mile lead on me!  Smile

2011-03-24 5:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Oh boy.... Gonna order the cap for the swim that's for sure. I've been hoping to get an OWS in lake erie but the temps haven't gotten much above 40deg and the lake is still in the 30s. I haven't even gotten on the road yet!!  The trainer has become my best friend unfortunately.  There are some killer hills I'd like to hit east of Cleveland that I'm hoping to hit the first and second weekend of April.  The bike is def the part that I'm hoping and praying to survive. My last IM I was never so happy to get off it and run a marathon. My mantra for IMSG is "finish with a smile!"

2011-03-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3411790

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
laurak11 - 2011-03-24 3:24 AM

Oh boy.... Gonna order the cap for the swim that's for sure. I've been hoping to get an OWS in lake erie but the temps haven't gotten much above 40deg and the lake is still in the 30s. I haven't even gotten on the road yet!!  The trainer has become my best friend unfortunately.  There are some killer hills I'd like to hit east of Cleveland that I'm hoping to hit the first and second weekend of April.  The bike is def the part that I'm hoping and praying to survive. My last IM I was never so happy to get off it and run a marathon. My mantra for IMSG is "finish with a smile!"

I second that "finish with a smile!" I have been feeling bad because the weather is bad here, lows in the 40's high in the low60's. I guess I should already be smiling. I have had to do some rides on the trainer. But you are amazing, doing all your training that way you must be very tough mentally!! Make sure you say hello as you are blow past me on the bike.

2011-03-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3412404

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
mikoy - 2011-03-24 12:40 PM
laurak11 - 2011-03-24 3:24 AM

I second that "finish with a smile!" I have been feeling bad because the weather is bad here, lows in the 40's high in the low60's. I guess I should already be smiling. I have had to do some rides on the trainer. But you are amazing, doing all your training that way you must be very tough mentally!! Make sure you say hello as you are blow past me on the bike.

Yeah... It's going to be HIGH of 32deg for the next week... 25 deg below normal avg's.... Oh well. I can only hope I can get at least one long bike in outside! And don't worry I won't be blowing by anyone on the bike. Maybe the run, but not the bike Tongue out

2011-03-25 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Anyone got recommendations for dinner on Friday before the race?

Edited by laurak11 2011-03-25 5:22 PM
2011-03-29 12:43 AM

User image

Hello again! Mikoy - yeah, listen to what littlecat and transitionfour are talking about...the bike is all about setting up for a good run. This will be my first IM, with 3 HIM's and 6 olympics under my belt (including silverman half) and I have made the fatal mistake of hammering the bike (at silverman!) like a dumb ...and then being in lactic acidosis for half of the run! We in vegas are lucky to have some awesome training grounds - run red rock loop, which is more hilly than the SG run course (1500' climb in 13 miles vs. 1200'), and you'll be good. Ride lake mead, northshore road, or do 5-6 red rock loops back to back...and you'll be good.

I just got back from SG this past weekend, and had great time. Saturday was gonna be the ride, but since it was raining the whole day I ran 15 miles of the course...in the rain. Sunday I rode the 2 veyo loops back to back (86 miles, 43 each loop and about 3000' climb per loop), which was good for figuring out pacing. Yeah, littlecat - that veyo wall ain't no joke! for almost a mile, it just gets...steeper...and steeper...and just before that hairpin turn - it gets steeper yet! Ha...but its not impossible. But I am glad I had a 11-26, and might even break down and get a 11-28 to keep spinning. And yes, there is a section after the final climb out of Veyo that is flat/rollers, where getting aero will pay off. And then the screaming fast decent into SG from snow canyon - fun! But it really isn't all that bad - my second loop was a bit faster, which is what I am shooting for race day. Still, you gotta be kool and the gang on this bike course, in order to have a solid run. And even then, if the wind is blowing out there like it can, the bike will be an outright slugfest. I rode tour de st. george last march, with sustained 15-20 mph winds with gusts to 30, and I was ready to tap out at 50 miles...

transitionfour - thanks for the input on tubulars...I bought 'em! I have practiced some tire changes at my loyal LBS...

Mikoy - email me at [email protected] if you want to hook up for some vegas rides/runs...

Good luck with all of your training! Let's keep the good info flowing on this thread! Oh...and a good place to eat in SG on Friday? The pizza and pasta company...great pasta!

2011-03-29 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Food wise, heres some great local places:

Breakfast:
bearpawcafe.com
This place is PACKED with IM peeps in the days leading up to race day, but worth every second of waiting!

Dinner, excellent for steak/wild game, NOT a 'night before race' place:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/312/1300930/restaurant/Utah/Gun-Barrel-...

Edited by LittleCat 2011-03-29 4:23 PM
2011-03-29 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California

Last year I rolled a 53/39 with 11/25 on back. This year I'm rolling a compact with 11/23 on back. I'm a masher so the tighter cluster works well for me. I did fine with the 53/39 but definitly want to give myself a little less stress on the heavier climbs.

Laura, you should get some kind of award...I would seriously not have a face left if I had to do all my training on a trainer!!

Cheers to everyones final stretch!

2011-03-29 10:57 PM

New user

Clarksville, TN

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's post and this is a great site for a little motivation prior to my first IM. My friends here in TN have gotten motivatd and we have been hitting things fairly hard for training so I have not needed an on-line training partner (thanks for the replies though).

Laura, I honestly do not know how you are doing it on a trainer. The weather here in TN has been horrible for long rides but it's warm compared to what you are going through. Keep with it! If you don't think you are prepared...the three of us likely have you beat.

I have to share one funny story to highlight the number of registrants. I registered with three friends and this IM was the only date that worked for us all. We had zero clue about the course and picked it simply for the date. We were told that all IM events sell out within 30 minutes of opening. At midnight two of us logged on from TN and the third was deployed in Iraq at the time and logged on at the same time (minus the time zone change). We were all sweating bullets hoping we would get a spot...It's been a bit of a running joke these last 10 months about when registration will close (I guess several days prior to the race).

If it makes others feel better I doubt you are as ill-prepared as the three of us. We have all at least completed a 1/2 IM distance (I've done 4) but I don't believe we have a clue about how hard this race will truly be. We have all done a handful of marathons and it's unlikely we will get any good cold OWS prior to arriving in St. George.

If you are a first timer like myself and nervous...join the club. I started training for this with a goal time in mind...As it draws close I have a goal of finishing. It's unlikely I will set any records and I hope to avoid drowning in the water but I'm going to have fun. I'll finish this race at some point between 12 and 16 hours and I hope to have some interesting conversations suffering through the run.

My plan going into the race....Conserve energy in the water, set a slow pace on the bike and then go slower on the 1st lap, and its all about the run. I've read this quote several times :

'There are no good rides in a Triathlon, Only good runs'

I believe it and will live by this rule on May 7th.

I have two questions to end my overly long post.

1) Does anyone have a specific elevation for the ride and the run using a Garmin watch (I have a 310XT)? The hills here are rolling and when  I set out to ride hills I can do 2500-3500ft over 50 miles on my Garmin. Will this be even close to St. George?

2) Altitude? I don't beleive I've read a post on the effect of the altitude with this race. Anyone from around sea level notice this during the climbs? There must be some effect, I'm just uncertain what to expect.

Thanks, GJK

2011-03-31 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3420890

User image

2011-03-31 10:58 PM

User image

I just wrote up a quasi long response to your post, and it didn't show up! Dammit!

Here's the short answer: Bike course total climb around 7400' (resevoir to town = 1400' in 22 miles, then each veyo loop = 3000' in 43 miles each).

Run course is 2400' total, 1200' for each 13.1 mile lap.

Source is USATF create a route, a free service on the US track and fields website...provides accurate distance and elevation info (but no grade info) and you can print the maps!

Altitude should not be a factor - SG is around 4000' AGL...if you come to SG 2-3 days prior you will climatize to the altitude and dry air...in fact, it's the dry desert air (humidity around 15%-20% normally) that should concern you more, 'cause I know TN gets humid! Keep that in mind when figuring out your hydration plan...

I hope this helps!

2011-04-01 12:24 AM
in reply to: #3424677

User image

Master
San Francisco
firedawg44 - 2011-03-31 8:58 PM

I just wrote up a quasi long response to your post, and it didn't show up! Dammit!

Here's the short answer: Bike course total climb around 7400' (resevoir to town = 1400' in 22 miles, then each veyo loop = 3000' in 43 miles each).

Run course is 2400' total, 1200' for each 13.1 mile lap.

Source is USATF create a route, a free service on the US track and fields website...provides accurate distance and elevation info (but no grade info) and you can print the maps!

Altitude should not be a factor - SG is around 4000' AGL...if you come to SG 2-3 days prior you will climatize to the altitude and dry air...in fact, it's the dry desert air (humidity around 15%-20% normally) that should concern you more, 'cause I know TN gets humid! Keep that in mind when figuring out your hydration plan...

I hope this helps!

great info firedawg.  very helpful.  thanks for sharing.

2011-04-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3420890

GJK40,

I hear ya, but don't sweat it too much.  I'm a first timer to the full length IM race too.  I have onlly done one of the half-IMs, but I know I have the endurance capability.  What I don't have is the time to train like some of the professionals.  Like you, I just plan to take my time (as long as I stay within the cut off times) and try to remain injury-free throughout the entire race.

Keep in mind that preparation is the biggest key to actually finishing the IM St. George (or any IM).  Being comfortable and staying within your body's acceptable speed-zones are what you want to do to avoid stress-fractures and other overuse injuries.  In my opinion, starting out too quickly and not maintaining hydration levels enough are the two biggest way to mess up your chances of finishing the race.

Also, know how to change a tube on the fly.  From what I read over on the www.iamtri.com site, the IM St. George has some pretty rough streets and last year a lot of people got flats along the way!

So bottom line here is be prepared mechanically, physically, and mentally.

Triguy Cool

2011-04-03 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Since the link is so quiet, has anyone else gotten some new toys for IM St George? What did you get?? What do you still want?

Just got and installed an X-lab 'super wing' rear hydration system after an epic failure of a Profile Design. And a much needed new wetsuit since the one I had I got used but it was a size too big so when I stood up to get out the water I felt like I was carrying the whole lake in my wetsuit...I'm curious how much time I wasted with that!

2011-04-04 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

OK, I went up to SG to ride the course on Sat. I started at Sand Hollows and rode into town and then did one loop. I only made 2 wrong turns.  I am happy to report that I was able to stay on the bike up the big hill. I think the locals call it "the wall".  For me it was a hard climb. I think next month I may be walking part of it on the 2nd loop. Of course I am going to train some hills the next 2 weeks, and I will do my best to make it on both loops. I did have some cramping issues and the desent into town which landed me on the side of the road in some serious pain. So I will pay more attention to hydration and electrolytes on race day. A really nice guy stopped to make sure I was alright, he thought I might have broke my leg! So after some stretching I headed into town. I was stopped at a stop light and someone honks at me. The guy that stopped pulls up and gives me some chocolate milk, water and gatorade. I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take anything. There are some really nice folks out there.

So in total I did 73 miles in 4:25, which is my longest ride to date. Also let us all pray that there is no wind on May 7th. I had some really bad head winds. Of course the wind seemed to always be hitting me the hardest on the climbs.

Ok 1 month left, hope you all are getting some good training in.

2011-04-04 11:25 AM

User image

New user

Salt Lake City

A look at the website for Sand Hollow resevoir states that on March 31st, the water temp was 56. Let's hope it keeps getting warmer.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/conditions/shsp

2011-04-04 11:21 PM

User image

Hey littlecat! That x-lab super wing kicks butt! That's what I got...new toys? I just bought an 11/28 sram cassette...yep, call me a wuss! But I love to spin...oh, and some lightly used carbon reynolds wheels with tubular tires...Sah-weet! I like new toys....

Hey Mikoy...good job in making it up there to ride the course! Get with me and we'll do some rides in Vegas, like red rock loop x 4-5 times in a row....

T-minus less than 5 weeks and counting..aww yeah!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13