BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2010-12-28 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3256199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED

Good morning, all!

I am looking for some advice.  This summer will be my first tri race season.  My races are looking like this:

April - Cleveland 10-miler
May - Cleveland half marathon
June - Findlay sprint tri & Towpath 10k
July (late) - Huntington Beach sprint tri
August - Greater Cleveland sprint & Chicago oly

When should I start my olympic tri training plan?  I'm doing an advanced Hal Higdon half marathon plan starting in mid-Feb.  I'll be working on my bike base in Jan. & Feb. 

Chicago is my A-race this year.  The sprints are local & vary in distance covered.  I could do a sprint triathlon right now, so I'm not worried about those. 

Suggestions?  Thanks! 

Oh, yeah,  I have a babysitter this morning, so I'm going to the gym for run + strength session, and then I'm going to Second Sole to get new running shoes.  I am so excited, as my current shoes are awful. 

Jennifer

2010-12-28 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3263893

User image

Pro
CyFair
kaburns1214 - 2010-12-28 5:07 AM

What plan do you generally follow for off season lifting?

I try to stay to push or pull days.  For the first few months I've tried to keep my compound lifts (bench, deads, squats, etc) heavy with low reps to regain some of the power and strength I lost throughout last year.  February I'll probably switch to a rep range in the 10-15 range and start super setting and/or giant setting a lot.  Once the season is upon us I'll move to more of a maintenance routine following more crossfit endurance type principles to get in and out of the gym quickly.

I have a bit of a different outlook on lifting coming from a power lifting background and really feel there are many benefits to pushing in the weight room as much as you push on the road or in the pool.
2010-12-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3263953

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I would check the plans they have on the site (under programs). There are several depending on what level you are at and how many hours a week you can dedicate.  Once you pick a plan, work backwards from your A race.  Your A race is so far out, you probably wouldn't start til probably April or May, but you can build your base in biking and swimming til then and focus on your running.
2010-12-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3264191

User image

Pro
CyFair
carrie639 - 2010-12-28 9:26 AM I would check the plans they have on the site (under programs). There are several depending on what level you are at and how many hours a week you can dedicate.  Once you pick a plan, work backwards from your A race.  Your A race is so far out, you probably wouldn't start til probably April or May, but you can build your base in biking and swimming til then and focus on your running.

Agreed. 
2010-12-28 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2010-12-28 8:18 AM

Good morning, all!

I am looking for some advice.  This summer will be my first tri race season.  My races are looking like this:

When should I start my olympic tri training plan?  I'm doing an advanced Hal Higdon half marathon plan starting in mid-Feb.  I'll be working on my bike base in Jan. & Feb. 

Chicago is my A-race this year.  The sprints are local & vary in distance covered.  I could do a sprint triathlon right now, so I'm not worried about those. 

Suggestions?  Thanks! 

Oh, yeah,  I have a babysitter this morning, so I'm going to the gym for run + strength session, and then I'm going to Second Sole to get new running shoes.  I am so excited, as my current shoes are awful. 

Jennifer

To flush out a little more on the advice to pick a plan and then work backwards, the plans on this site (and most triathlon plans) use and incorporate the concept of periodization.  Joel Friel (author of the Triathlete' Training Bible and big time triathlon coach) puts it this way:

"The basic concepts of periodization have been around since the early 1900s when Russian sport scientists developed and later refined it. It wasn’t until the 1970s that western athletes began to understand and use periodization. Among the earliest adopters was the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren who won gold medals in the 5,000- and 10,000-meter races at the 1972 and 1976 Olympics — the only endurance athlete to ever accomplish this track and field “double-double” in Olympic history.

Periodization isn’t just for elite athletes. If you have been training somewhat randomly or repetitively, using periodization in training has the potential to produce a higher peak of fitness for your most important races. There are four guiding principles that are key to your success using this method:

? The closer in time you get to the race, the more like the race training becomes. This is called “specificity.”

? The best determiner of success for experienced athletes is race-specific intensity — not volume. Heart rate monitors, powermeters, accelerometers and GPS pacing devices greatly improve your chances of getting training intensity right.

? Training is purposeful. There is a reason for every workout. If you don’t know why you are doing it then perhaps you shouldn’t.

? Training follows a planned pattern of alternating stress and recovery to avoid overtraining. This is done at all three periodization levels — weekly, monthly and annually.

Keeping these guiding principles in mind will point your training in the right direction, but there is still the possibility of failure. There are three common reasons for failing to succeed when using periodization. The first is a failure to be flexible with recovery. If you are feeling completely wasted it’s time to rest regardless of when the plan next calls for a break from hard training. The second is failing to set aside time each week to plan the details of the coming week. Once you get a training routine established this will take only a few minutes. The third, and most likely cause of periodization breakdown, is other athletes. You may have designed the perfect plan but then you hook up with another swimmer, cyclist or runner and the next thing you know you are trying to “win” the workout. Planning and purpose go out the window."

Applying these general principles, most plans call for a prep phase, a base phase, a build phase and then a peak/race phase.  By selecting a plan then working backwards to a start date you ensure that you get the full benefits of each phase and that you start your race in the best possible shape to suceed.  That being said, the plan for your A race amy not line up with the other races you'd like to participate in, so what you may want to do is pick a plan, work backwards and then see what the plan calls for on any given weekend before commiting to a race.

I hope my rambling helps.

2010-12-28 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: 2011 Goals

As 2010 winds down I’ve been thinking about goals for 2011.  A goal is, generally, the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it; “the ends justify the means.”  The problem with triathlon is that as athletes we have so little control over the ends because there are so many things on race day that we can’t control such as: the weather, who shows up at the race, whether or not we have an equipment issue, etc.  So, instead of setting broad stroke goals , I think its more productive to break goals down even further. 

Working with Coach Doug at QT2 (www.qt2systems.com), we use three “buckets” of goals:

Objectives -  These are best described as those items over which you have 100 percent control.  Examples in this bucket are: “I am going to be tough,” “I am not going to give up, no matter how hard things get,” “I am going to follow my pacing plan” and “I am going to follow my fueling plan.”

Targets - These are items you have a bit less control over, but are directly related to your training, and therefore can be predicted very closely prior to race day. Running pace and swim pace obviously have the course specifics factored in as well and are therefore a bit less tangible. Examples here are: “I am going to average 250 watts on the bike,” “I am going to produce a very even power profile,” and “I am going to run 7:45 pace on the run.”

Outcomes - These are items that you have the least control over, and are really just an outcome of the previous two buckets.  Examples here are: age group or overall placing, race time, Kona slot qualification, etc.

For me in 2001:

Objectives: Be consistent with both my training and (especially) my diet; maintain a positive attitude when racing (even if/when I get frustrated) and to follow my pacing plans in both training and racing no matter how much more “fun” would be to go faster.

Targets: By July 1, 2011 (just before IMLP) I would like to be able to swim a 10:25 800 yard time trial, Bike a 20 minute interval at 208 watts, run a 5K in 20:05 and have my Z1 (aerobic) running pace between 8:07 and 8:42.

Outcomes: I would like to place in the top 10 for my age group at IMLP (and go sub-12) and I would like to qualify for Kona at IMFL in November. 

What are your goals?

2010-12-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3264385

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: 2011 Goals

Objectives: Learn more about correct fueling, drop ten pounds, not get "plan ADD" and actually finish a plan out, enroll in a masters swim class, learn more of the finer points of tris.

Targets: By Austin 70.3 I'd like to average a sub 1:40 min/100 m swim leg of a HIM, average 20 plus mph in a race environment, run a sub 20 min 5k.

Outcomes: Move out of MOP to top ten AG in at least one of my races, MOP in my first iron distance race.

2010-12-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3264385

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: 2011 Goals

Objectives: Be consistent with both my training and diet; eliminate more off the "i don't feel like training today and tomorrow for a week or two", sometimes I just fall in a rut 

Targets: 

SWIM
-  1 mile pool time under 30 minutes (30 laps)
-  Get pool work in at least 2x per week, no less than 4000 yards

BIKE
-  Bike time for half under 3 hours
-  Get better and more comfortable and aggressive with hills
-  Get more miles outside, and earlier in the season

RUN
-  Complete in 2-3 more half marathons
-  Complete half marathon under 2:30
-  Complete first marathon - Chicago

TRIATHLON
-  Complete half ironman under 7 hours (Racine/Muncie and/or Steelhead)

STRENGTH
-  Strength train 2x per week
-  Core work 2-3x per week 

Outcomes: I want a PR for my next 1/2 marathon and to finish a HIM and the Chicago marathon

2010-12-28 12:35 PM

Extreme Veteran

Good morning, all!

Suggestions?  Thanks! 

Jennifer

Its almost as easy as you just laid it out.  Set up the HM plan from May backwards.  Then set up the Oly plan from August backwards.  If the runs from the Oly plan bump into the HM plan runs, use the HM plan's runs.  Now, realizing you'll be tired from Higdon's advanced plan, sprinkle in some bike and swim workouts before the Oly training plan starts.  Personally, I do better with an actual plan, so I would pick the June tri and start working in the swim and bike workouts, but the Oly workouts would win and not be replaced by sprint workouts and I would adjust the swim and bike workouts around the HM runs.

Treat everything except the half marathon and the Oly as training races or just 'extras'.  When you come to a race weekend for those extra races, adjust your workouts accordingly (me, I would take out an equivalent workout and move the remaining workout to the non-race day.

And pay attention to your body and the extra races - don't push too hard on a 10k or 10 miler if that's going to leave you sapped or injured. 

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fit everything thing into a perfectly synchronized and phased plan.  Get it close and enjoy yourself.
2010-12-28 1:48 PM

User image

Expert

This is tough for me.  2010 was my first year ever in any type of endurance sports, so I have no clue on what pace will be for me.  Also, my focus is still MTB racing, but want to do at least 1 Sprint, and 1-2 Xterra Tri's.

Objectives
: Learn more on nutrition, what to eat, and when to eat it. Learn more on proper training techniques.  Learn the proper way to swim.

Targets: Enter and finish my first sprint Tri.  Enter and finish my first Xterra Tri. Compete in the Ten Penny Duathlon with a partner (me biking, friend running) Complete 7 out of 11 Route 66 Mountain Bike Races. With kids, there is no way I can commit to all 11 races.

Outcomes
: Finish sub 1 hour 25 mins in Route 66 races. Podium in the Route 66 Season points challenge. Finish top 20 in age group for sprint tri's.  I really don't know the pace for sprint tri's yet, so it's really tough for me to predict an outcome with that.

Edited by rizer22 2010-12-28 1:51 PM
2010-12-28 1:55 PM

User image

Expert

Heart Rate Questions:

Again, being new to this, I am still learning.  Santa hooked me up with a Garmin 305, and I've been testing that indoors, specifically for heart rate.  Based on a basic calculation (220-age (33), = max HR).  So for me, 187. Last night, while doing Spinnervals, over 52 minutes, my average heart rate was 151.  Max HR was 176 during the short sprints. 

1. Is 176 way too high

2. 151 average is just about 80% Is that where I should focus?

3. is 80% max where I should be able to train for extended periods.  I am confused on this whole heart rate thing and how to train with it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  I am also posting this in the main forum.

2010-12-28 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3264723

User image

Pro
CyFair
rizer22 - 2010-12-28 1:55 PM

Heart Rate Questions:

Again, being new to this, I am still learning.  Santa hooked me up with a Garmin 305, and I've been testing that indoors, specifically for heart rate.  Based on a basic calculation (220-age (33), = max HR).  So for me, 187. Last night, while doing Spinnervals, over 52 minutes, my average heart rate was 151.  Max HR was 176 during the short sprints. 

1. Is 176 way too high

3. is 80% max where I should be able to train for extended periods.  I am confused on this whole heart rate thing and how to train with it.

Interested in this too.  I'd love to get my LT tested to accurately set my zones but I don't have the $$.
2010-12-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3264767

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
uhcoog - 2010-12-28 3:14 PM

Heart Rate Questions:

1. Is 176 way too high

Interested in this too.  I'd love to get my LT tested to accurately set my zones but I don't have the $$.

I use this calculator to set zones -- its been really accurate for me:

http://www.runcalculator.com/

also:

http://triathloncalculator.com/
2010-12-28 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

2011 Plan

Objectives
: Be consistent with both my training and my diet; Push myself to the max at least once a week; use recovery time without guilt

Targets:
By May 21, 2011 cut 2 minutes off last years time on course. In July at Scofield cut time by 10 minutes. Beat time from St George race at Koko (same course)

Outcomes
: I would like to place in the top 5 for my age group (55-60)

The 55-60 AG is faster then the 50-54 group-them are some tough old broads and I will be glad to join them

2010-12-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3264583

User image

Extreme Veteran
bwingate - 2010-12-28 1:35 PM

Good morning, all!

Suggestions?  Thanks! 

Jennifer

Its almost as easy as you just laid it out.  Set up the HM plan from May backwards.  Then set up the Oly plan from August backwards.  If the runs from the Oly plan bump into the HM plan runs, use the HM plan's runs.  Now, realizing you'll be tired from Higdon's advanced plan, sprinkle in some bike and swim workouts before the Oly training plan starts.  Personally, I do better with an actual plan, so I would pick the June tri and start working in the swim and bike workouts, but the Oly workouts would win and not be replaced by sprint workouts and I would adjust the swim and bike workouts around the HM runs.

Treat everything except the half marathon and the Oly as training races or just 'extras'.  When you come to a race weekend for those extra races, adjust your workouts accordingly (me, I would take out an equivalent workout and move the remaining workout to the non-race day.

And pay attention to your body and the extra races - don't push too hard on a 10k or 10 miler if that's going to leave you sapped or injured. 

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fit everything thing into a perfectly synchronized and phased plan.  Get it close and enjoy yourself.

This is what I was thinking.  I was wondering how I ought to treat the sprints & 10ks.  It would suck to get injured or something, when my goal race is Chicago (not to mention we actually have to drive 6 hrs. to get there & pay for 2 hotel rooms, gas, etc.).  The run is my worst leg, and speedwork often leaves me injured, so I'll have to be extra careful during the runs to keep at an appropriate pace. 

Thank you all for the feedback.  I appreciate it!!
2010-12-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3264767

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
uhcoog - 2010-12-28 3:14 PM

Heart Rate Questions:

1. Is 176 way too high

I have good zone explanations at home -- I'll post the full explanation tonight. 

Generally though, the vast majority of your training should be done in the aerobic endurance zone (triathlons very rarely become anaerobic events).  For me, my aerobic endurance zone is 137-150 bpm (this is about 80% of my threshold heart rate). 

Without knowing more about you, its hard to say whether 176 and 151 are "too high."  The 220 minus your age formula isn't fantastic (I think a 5K race or a 20 min TT is a better indicator of threshold -- also your heart rates for running and biking can be different.  Running HR tends to be about 10 beats higher for the same effort compared to biking). 

With the 151 I think you're in the ballpark, if I had to guess, I think your aerobic pace is probably in the 140s or so. 

2010-12-28 4:02 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Objectives: Consistenly eat healthy and stay away from refined sugar/desserts.  Get on the bike 3x/week espite my hate-affair with the bike.  keep running 25+ miles/week.

Targets:
Stay healthy - no more injuries! Weight at 210 by May 1st.  Sub 1:45 HM.  Sub 2:35 oly. Sub 4:00 Mary.  

Outcomes
: Clyde podium would be nice.  Other than that, as kelly/couch doug said, good outcomes are the result of setting goals and going after them.
2010-12-28 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
I really need to think about my goals for 2011...not real sure where to start
2010-12-28 5:47 PM

Need to think about it but, I need to stay healthy. I think I need to finish putting my bike together. It might be nice to ride it before my first tri. One goal for sure is to get my weight down and keep it under control.
2010-12-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3264892

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I had my LT done last year (184), so my data is pretty old and probably not as accurate since my fitness is much better than a year ago, but would love to learn how to get my HR down while running.  I really don't know what it is swimming, biking I can hit any zone I want (hills will make me spike really high, but cadence work has helped reduce that), but running I generally spend the first 10-20 minutes in the mid to high 150's, then after that I spend most of the rest of the time in the high 160's, and as I fatigue, I start to hit the 170's.  If I am doing a brick these figures will raise quicker.
2010-12-28 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This is tough for me too.  2010 was my first year in any type of endurance sport.

Objectives
:Get back to eating a low carb/higher protein/no refined sugars diet. Learn more on proper training techniques. Get into a pool.

Targets: Enter and finish my first half marathon and sprint Tri. Get my 5K consistently under 29:00 (I know I am slow compared to all of you...).

Outcomes: Again, just to finish and have fun doing so!

I hope it is OK I am in this group. Everyone seems to have such good times for their running and so many hours to train. With 4 kids and work I can barely get in 5 hours a week. Am I insane for even trying to do a half or tri?

2010-12-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3264892

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have good zone explanations at home -- I'll post the full explanation tonight. 

looking forward to reading this. I also got a garmin - 405cx - for the holidays. I have been reading about using the HRM but would love your explanations. Should I consider trading in the 405cx for the 305? I have read such good things about the 305?
2010-12-29 5:22 AM
in reply to: #3265198

User image

New Haven, CT
carrie639 - 2010-12-28 7:56 PM I had my LT done last year (184), so my data is pretty old and probably not as accurate since my fitness is much better than a year ago, but would love to learn how to get my HR down while running.  I really don't know what it is swimming, biking I can hit any zone I want (hills will make me spike really high, but cadence work has helped reduce that), but running I generally spend the first 10-20 minutes in the mid to high 150's, then after that I spend most of the rest of the time in the high 160's, and as I fatigue, I start to hit the 170's.  If I am doing a brick these figures will raise quicker.

I am no expert on how the physiology of it works, but the more you run, the fitter you will get and your heart rate will lower over time.  your body needs to adapt if you are new to running.  as is often said run lots but keep it easy.  if you cant carry on a conversation while you are running, you are goign too fast.
2010-12-29 5:24 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Whose up for a weight loss challenge? 

I am going for a pound per week whcih is a 3500 calorie deficit 500/day.  I intend to accomplish this by cutting out refined sugar (other than, of course, in my morning coffee, one does have to be somewhat reasonable) and dessert
2010-12-29 5:30 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
I borrowing from Joel Friel and QT2 here -- Explanation of Heart Rates:

When it comes to heart rate zones, what you want to determine is your lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR), which is also referred to as your anaerobic threshold heart rate.  On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, LTHR occurs at about a 7 or 8.  A LTHR effort cannot be sustained for a long time.  It's uncomfortable, to say the least. 

Your LTHR will be different for every sport, and that's why you need to do separate tests for running and biking.  The reason is that LTHR is a function of how much muscle is required to overcome resistance, especially gravity.  The LTHR for running is almost always higher than it is for biking (I've found that running LTHRs are about 10 bpm higher than biking LTHRs).  That's  because there is some vertical oscillation with running -- you bounce up and down slightly.  With every step you have to overcome gravity, which requires a great deal of muscle and effort.  In biking, particularly on a flat road, there is no vertical oscillation.

Some coaches will reccomend finding your max heart rate (this is the common 220 minus your age formula), I think LTHR is more useful.  First, its more important to know where you redline (LTHR) than how high you can push your HR and second LTHR is much easier to accurately find.  Most athletes cannot push themselves hard enough to find their true maximum heart rate, an effort level which is incredibly painful.  Usually, what an athlete thinks is a max-HR effort is actually "peak" HR -- the highest the athlete found that day, but not the highest possible.  LTHR is roughly 20 to 30 beats per minute lower than your max. 

There are various ways to determine your LTHR.  Probably the easiest way is to warm up for 20 or so minutes and then run or bike as hard as you can for 30 minutes.  This is best done on a flat course with little or no traffic and no stops -- you can also use a treadmill, track or trainer.  At ten minutes into the test, click the lap button on your heart rate monitor.  Hit the lap button again at the end of the 30 minute effort.  Cool down.  After your cooldown, see what your average heart rate was for the last 20 minutes.  This number is a good approximation of your LTHR. 

Once you've found your LTHR, you can set your training zones.  I generally use three training zones - Recovery, Aerobic Endurance and Endurance Tempo (these correspond to Zone 1, Zone 2 and Zone 3 in a typical HR based training program). 

Zone 1 is Recovery, and should about 74% of your LTHR.  I use this zone for all recovery efforts between key intensity sessions. This takes patience to complete correctly but is critical to being recovered for key workouts. If these workouts are over done, my peripheral system (legs) will be too fatigued to effectively complete key workouts where the goal should be to push my limiters.

My LTHR for running is about 177, so my Zone 1 HR range for running is 121-136 (the range goes from about 70% - 77% of LTHR). 

Zone 2 is aerobic endurance and should be about 83% of LTHR.  This is the primary zone for all long rides and runs. Typically, early in the season during the base building phase all work is spent in this zone.

My LTHR for running is about 177, so my Zone 2 HR range for running is 137-150 (the range goes from about 77% - 85% of LTHR).

Zone 3 is Tempo and should be about 90% of LTHR.  This zone is generally used at the end of long rides and runs following the base phase (typically 8-12 weeks). As the race season draws closer, the amount of time spent in this zone should increase.

My LTHR for running is about 177, so my Zone 2 HR range for running is 151-161 (the range goes from about 85% - 91% of LTHR).

As a final thought, your HR zones don't change, your pace at the zone just gets faster as you gain fitness.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 87