BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-27 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3263454

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
DirkP - 2010-12-27 5:06 PM
tri808 - 2010-12-27 6:23 PM
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-27 11:59 AM
garrunning - 2010-12-27 2:46 PM

Average run speed on training 7:30 for 6 miles (I'm around 8:30 right now)

I would be very careful with this one, it is a big temptation for many (myself included) to try and run faster on training, it is not really that necessary.
over the summer I PRd almost every 10k I ran, got gradually faster and faster and my training paces hardly changed. training did change a little bit but the base was the same, last thing you want is an injury that could have been avoided with smart training.
others will surely have better advise than mine..
good luck!

I agree. 

X3

To gain that much on training paces you should be looking at over a year.  At least.  And that is if you have a good slow base building phase to a large amount of MPW.  For me to get that type of improvement I had to go through some injuries and off time that has a direct correlation to improper training.  My race times are decent (for a 41 year old).....21:00 5k race (6:45 miles) and a 1:38:00 half marathon (7:28 miles) and my easy run pace, after marathon training, is 8:10-ish.  While I was training for the mary my long/easy runs were 8:30-ish miles. 

I am not logging nearly the miles I was while in training for the marathon and that is why I can keep the 8:10 east run pace.  I just don't want you to learn through injury the way I had too.  Be careful.

Thanks guys, I can see this mentor program will be a good thing!

2010-12-27 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3262513

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)
Back to the gym this evening for 7+ miles on the bike!

It's the last week of the challenge, so I want to do doubles!
2010-12-27 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3262546

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Thanks, Dirk! Well, no, I didn't consider it a brick, but I absolutely could. It's the quickest, easiest, funnest way to rack up miles for the challenge -- that's how I look at it!

I prefer going to the gym in the morning. I'm not tempted to talk myself out of going at the end of the day. Plus, the gym isn't as crowded in the morning either.

~Pauline
2010-12-27 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3262523

User image

Veteran
Maryland
melbel1038 - 2010-12-27 8:39 AM
pdc33 - 2010-12-27 8:32 AM Rode the bike for 30 minutes and ran a 5K.

Great way to start the day!

and you showered afterwards?  well I call that a sprint then!    Happy Monday!

Thanks for the laugh!
2010-12-27 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3262318

User image

Veteran
Maryland
pdc33 - 2010-12-26 10:04 PM
tri808 - 2010-12-24 4:18 PM
pdc33 - 2010-12-24 5:27 AM Hello! I would like to join this group! Please let me know if there is still room, and I will post my info!

Still plenty of room.  Welcome aboard!

NAME: pdc33/Pauline

STORY: I've wanted to do a tri for some time, and back in 2005 I tried to prepare for one. Unfortunately, due to the swim, I was unsuccessful so started the challenge of running. (Lots of 5K's, a few half marathons and one full marathon over the years). Lately, running isn't really the challenge I need, and I'm really wanting to do a tri again. A free swim lesson at my gym shows there IS hope for me with swimming! I'm finally feeling confident that I will be able to swim, I'll just need to learn proper form, then work to complete the distance.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, but dating a wonderful man for three years now

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training is lots of cardio, because my gym is having a competition (winners get three months free membership) so I've been doing lots of cardio in December. In January I plan on swimming and strength training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): Eight 5K's and two half marathons (the Maryland Double)

2011 RACES: I want to complete my first tri in April!

WEIGHT LOSS: I have quite a bit of weight to lose due to past years of stupid eating. So far I've lost ten pounds. When I lose 17 more, I'll hit my first goal of 150.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

I forgot to mention my age....I'm certainly not one of the youngsters....  I'm 41. Soon to be 42 in March! Where does the time go?

Pauline
2010-12-27 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3263517

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-27 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3263597

Veteran
Maryland
What is your favorite healthy snack?
2010-12-27 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3263603

pdc33 - 2010-12-27 3:12 PM What is your favorite healthy snack?

I love sandwiches.  Lean ham or turkey with all the veggies on wheat.  That may be more than a snack for most people though...but I find it prevents me from over-doing lunch and dinner.  I'm just too lazy these days to prepare the sandwiches in advance for work...I might have to start doing that again.
2010-12-27 8:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3256440

Mercer Island, WA
Hey guys, sorry I've been absent, holiday times were kind of crazy.

I got a trainer for Xmas and am very excited to use it. From what I've heard I'm going to need to run to my LBS tomorrow to get a trainer tire? About how much do those usually run? Any other gadets/etc necessary for me to use my trainer? 

As for end of March goals, I'd like to see myself finishing something like 90% of the workouts in my training plan. I'd like to do all of them but I'm trying to be a little realistic here!

Bryan 

Edited by bwanzer 2010-12-27 10:12 PM
2010-12-27 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3262033

Mercer Island, WA
drsues - 2010-12-26 1:38 PM Hello bwazner/Bryan,

Your profile caught my attention. I am a professor of music education in a Christian liberal arts university in South Carolina. I enjoyed reading your profile (I'm hoping to do my first triathlon in March). It's good to hear that you are working on your health along with  your studies. I would never want to be anything but a music educator, but there is a lot of challenges, especially when you student teach. I learned that I tended to emotionally eat and exercise less as the pressure of teaching and performing increased. Now, I am learning to balance all of that. In fact, you will find that what you learn as a music educator will help you as a triathlete and visa versa--at least that is what I'm learning. I'm glad we're in the same group! Let me know how both goes.

Sue

Sue,
I saw that you were a professor on your profile, very cool! The nice thing about this first placement for my student teaching (local HS for 8 weeks) is that her first period everyday is a prep! So hopefully I can budget my time well so I can do my prep work at night and workout in the morning/afternoon after school is out. I also am fairly comfertable teaching HS band since that is what I want to do so my prep time may become more diminished. It's my elementary placement that I'm worried about. I think this schedule may actually be more beneficial since I won't have late afternoon performing ensembles and no late night rehearsals.

I'll be sure to ask any teaching questions I may have too!

Bryan 

2010-12-27 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3263547

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk- very cool.  I've been deep into Mexico as well.  It's definitely an eye opening exp there and in Africa. First, seeing the living conditions.  But second, seeing how many of the people in Africa were content.  Nothing like what I had seen on TV (despair, hopelessness, etc).  Instead, the people I met were very joyful always smiling, singing, and even dancing... it's definitely helped me be satisfied with what I have and not always be wanting more.
2010-12-27 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3263459

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Thanks for letting me join you guys!  I barely missed last years sign up and have been waiting all year to get in!  Anyway, looking forward to sharing info and making new friends!

Name:  Will

Background: I'm 32 yrs old.  Have always loved team sports.  I decided to start running a few years ago to see if I could get my distance up high enough for a half mary, but it was killing my knees.  (I know now that my training pace was too high).  My best friend did a Sprint Tri and so I thought I would check it out knowing that the s/b wouldn't be hard on the knees.  So, in Jan 2010 I started learning how to swim (free style).  In March I got a Felt intro road bike and did a Sprint tri a few weeks later.  I met my goal of getting in top half, but was wasted after, lol!  I did another long Sprint in Sept. (MOP).  Then I got the idea to go for the HIM... so I sold my road bike and got a tri bike (Felt B12, love it!).  I found the Galveston HIM on April 10 and decided to start the 20 week beginner HIM BT training plan.  So far it's going pretty good.  I'm not doing exact workouts, but am getting in the time.  I have 3 days to pull the trigger and register for Galveston before the fee goes up, so any advice from you guys about whether I should go for it or not is much appreciated.  

Family Status: Married, no kids, no pets, one bike

Current Training: See above.  Not really strong at any of the 3... I want to go for the HIM, but have to by mid-May b/c my summer schedule is crazy and it's hard to keep training consistent in summer time.

2010 races: March Sprint, Sept. long Sprint

2011 races: Galveston HIM April 10???  Oh snap!  Haven't thought past that...

Weightloss: Wouldn't mind getting off that little bit of baby fat on my belly... and also fight off that back fat that's sneaking in!

2010-12-27 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3263547

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
DirkP - 2010-12-27 7:24 PM
pistuo - 2010-12-27 5:33 PM
DirkP - 2010-12-27 8:08 Will,
Welcome to the group.  I was checking out you pics on your profile.  Where are they from?  Was this mission work?

The pics are from Malawi, Africa.  Clean water is a huge need there, as well as what the bible calls "living water".  Many people there have never had a chance to experience either one!  I'm involved with groups that do both.  I usually go in the summer (which is winter there) and it's perfect weather!

That's cool!  Our church just collected money to build a well in Africa.  I hope to continue to provide that "simple" type of support to alleviate some of the health problems on that continent.  I have also been to Mexico to build houses for families that were living in squalor.  The houses by US standards are the size of a 2 car garage with no running water or facilities.  That was a a deeply enlightening experience for me and one which we were all able to share some living water as well.

I once helped pay and build a house for a friend's uncle who is very very poor and lives out in the country.
we made it out of ''adobes'' dirt,water, cow poop. tiny place and he was so grateful.
a most rewarding experience!

2010-12-27 10:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
pdc33 - 2010-12-27 8:12 PM What is your favorite healthy snack?

carrot, in slices with lemon and  'chile'

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
pdc33 - 2010-12-27 8:12 PMWhat is your favorite healthy snack?

carrot, in slices with lemon and  'chile'

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Resolution:  Going to get off the cokes Jan. 1 and try to make it all the way to my HIM in April.  Also considering giving up my bad habit of eating a bowl of Lucky Charms every night before bed...

Snack:  I eat a lot of the 100 calorie snacks, Quaker chewy granola bars (smores) are the best!  I'm about to start trying out eating peanut butter sands (crunchy, of course).  While training, I like the Clif MOJO bars, Powerbar gel blasts (yummy!), and clif shot rocks sometimes.  
My eating sucks... mostly b/c of my chik fil a addiction and b/c I dont know jack about nutrition, but I try to eat a banana every now and then...

2010-12-27 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3262477

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Updated the list.  You guys don't forget to add everyone as friends so we can see your training and inspire you!  Also, copy/paste the list below with your real name if it's missing.

tri808/ Jason
Jilah/ John H.
Hawaiimike/ Mike
drsues/ Sue
melbel1038/ Melanie
neuronet/ Eric
swimmindy/ Mindy
Prince of Denmar./ Hamlet
Garrunning/ Jarrod
Roydavis33060/ Roy
Sabrina / Sawood2007
dirkp / Dirk  
mparson76/ Mark
bwanzer / Bryan
krystyna47/ Krystyna
wynee2000
Tripopo/ Kirk
kristenv73/ Kristen
luv2bhealthy/ Norma
pdc33/ Pauline
hollybushellehill
kmpals
pistuo/ Will

2010-12-27 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3263773

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
pistuo - 2010-12-27 10:17 PM Resolution:  Going to get off the cokes Jan. 1

I had spent 4 months without but with all the holidays and trips I had to take I stumbled again. I started again yesterday! good luck! It can be hard to try this.
2010-12-27 11:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
pdc33 - 2010-12-28 11:12 AM What is your favorite healthy snack?

After a good, long hard session I love nothing more than sitting in the sun with a tub of yogurt that is in between fridge and freezer cold. SO GOOD. That and all fruit - I've fallen in love with kiwifruit now that I'm living in New Zealand. Nothing's better!!

Oh, and I am a total proponent of the run easy philosophy. I started out training a couple years back wanting to go faster with each run, which led to increases in speed, sure, but at high risk of injury and overtraining, and I just didn't ENJOY my training as much. I was far too tired and almost dreading each run. Now that I'm training far more smartly, each run has a purpose, and I enjoy my runs. I've come to especially enjoy my long runs of 2.5-3 hours when the entire purpose of the long run is not to go fast, but to go slow, take it easy and let the body build the endurance for you as you go. It's the highlight of my week.  
2010-12-28 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3263635

bwanzer - 2010-12-27 3:40 PM Hey guys, sorry I've been absent, holiday times were kind of crazy.

I got a trainer for Xmas and am very excited to use it. From what I've heard I'm going to need to run to my LBS tomorrow to get a trainer tire? About how much do those usually run? Any other gadets/etc necessary for me to use my trainer? 

As for end of March goals, I'd like to see myself finishing something like 90% of the workouts in my training plan. I'd like to do all of them but I'm trying to be a little realistic here!

Bryan 

Congrats on the trainer...I think...

The trainer is a great winter training tool...but can be your worst enemy...trainer rides are HARD...you'll see when you give it a try.  But that also means you feel awesome when you finish a workout...because even 30 minutes on that thing can be rough.

Anyway...I do suggest a trainer tire.  I got mine for about $45 (retail) but those things last forever.  You could use old tires that some LBSs give out for free, but they'll eventually get chewed up and you constantly need to replace them.

Other than that, all you need are some towelS and some fanS (plural...you'll sweat buckets).  A nice 2x4 piece of wood and a phone book to prop up the front wheel so it's level with the back and you're good to go.  You don't need those fancy mats or riser blocks they sell.

As far as goals...it is important to be realistic.  In the end, we all do this for fun...we aren't professionals.  We have work, family, friends...we get sick, and we get signs of injury or fatigue that tell us we need a break.

2010-12-28 12:27 AM
in reply to: #3263758

pistuo - 2010-12-27 5:08 PM Thanks for letting me join you guys!  I barely missed last years sign up and have been waiting all year to get in!  Anyway, looking forward to sharing info and making new friends!

Name:  Will

Background: I'm 32 yrs old.  Have always loved team sports.  I decided to start running a few years ago to see if I could get my distance up high enough for a half mary, but it was killing my knees.  (I know now that my training pace was too high).  My best friend did a Sprint Tri and so I thought I would check it out knowing that the s/b wouldn't be hard on the knees.  So, in Jan 2010 I started learning how to swim (free style).  In March I got a Felt intro road bike and did a Sprint tri a few weeks later.  I met my goal of getting in top half, but was wasted after, lol!  I did another long Sprint in Sept. (MOP).  Then I got the idea to go for the HIM... so I sold my road bike and got a tri bike (Felt B12, love it!).  I found the Galveston HIM on April 10 and decided to start the 20 week beginner HIM BT training plan.  So far it's going pretty good.  I'm not doing exact workouts, but am getting in the time.  I have 3 days to pull the trigger and register for Galveston before the fee goes up, so any advice from you guys about whether I should go for it or not is much appreciated.  

Family Status: Married, no kids, no pets, one bike

Current Training: See above.  Not really strong at any of the 3... I want to go for the HIM, but have to by mid-May b/c my summer schedule is crazy and it's hard to keep training consistent in summer time.

2010 races: March Sprint, Sept. long Sprint

2011 races: Galveston HIM April 10???  Oh snap!  Haven't thought past that...

Weightloss: Wouldn't mind getting off that little bit of baby fat on my belly... and also fight off that back fat that's sneaking in!

Welcome Wil...you're family status line got a good chuckle out of me...and congrats on the B12...that's one sweet ride.

As far as the HIM...here's my thoughts...keep in mind I'm doing my first HIM in June.  IMO, a HIM is doable for almost anyone given you put in the training.  That means that you can look at a 20 week HIM plan, and realistically tell yourself you can complete it.  Maybe not exactly...but roughly.  The plan will likely have you s/b/r longer in training than the actual race distances...so if you can do that without injury or burnout...go for it.

If there are some doubts...then just factor that in.  How would you feel if things didn't work out as expected?  Would you be devastated...or would you just tough it out and enjoy it for what it is?  Are there other HIMs you could do later in the year?  Only you can answer these questions.  Good luck.

2010-12-28 12:31 AM

Got in a nice 6.5 mile run and a swim after work.  It's pouring cats and dogs here...since Sunday actually...and won't clear up till Wednesday.

But what can I say...it's not a blizzard.
2010-12-28 12:37 AM

Also picked up a really good tip at masters swim class today.  I've heard it many times before...but for some reason it really clicked today.

Coach told us that when our balancing hand is out front (the non stroking hand), we need to keep it just below the surface of the water (2-3 inches) until your actually ready to switch off and turn it in to the stroking hand. 

Most people, myself included, tend to let that hand drop 6-12 inches below the surface of the water before starting the stroke.  That's a double whammy.  Not only are you losing some streamline...but when you decide to start pulling...you're stroke is now 6-10 inches shorter.

Working on this little fix made a huge difference for me tonight.  I felt so silly for not realizing this earlier...but I will say that as the sets got longer...my shoulder got more tired from trying to keep that balancing arm up...and not letting it drop.
2010-12-28 12:53 AM
in reply to: #3263843

Mercer Island, WA
tri808 - 2010-12-27 10:10 PM
bwanzer - 2010-12-27 3:40 PM Hey guys, sorry I've been absent, holiday times were kind of crazy.

Bryan 

Congrats on the trainer...I think...

The trainer is a great winter training tool...but can be your worst enemy...trainer rides are HARD...you'll see when you give it a try.  But that also means you feel awesome when you finish a workout...because even 30 minutes on that thing can be rough.

Anyway...I do suggest a trainer tire.  I got mine for about $45 (retail) but those things last forever.  You could use old tires that some LBSs give out for free, but they'll eventually get chewed up and you constantly need to replace them.

Other than that, all you need are some towelS and some fanS (plural...you'll sweat buckets).  A nice 2x4 piece of wood and a phone book to prop up the front wheel so it's level with the back and you're good to go.  You don't need those fancy mats or riser blocks they sell.

As far as goals...it is important to be realistic.  In the end, we all do this for fun...we aren't professionals.  We have work, family, friends...we get sick, and we get signs of injury or fatigue that tell us we need a break.

I would love to do my riding outside this winter but with over a foot of snow and freezing temperatures makes it difficult. Plus I don't want that road salt on my machine! I'm actually excited to get my butt kicked on the trainer. And watch some TV while it happens haha.  

As far as my goals, I feel like if I want to set the bar high because if I set it low I give myself some excuses to miss workouts. But if I go too high, I'll be disappointed if I don't get there. We'll see how this one works out!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45