BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-13 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3295298

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
DaveL - 2011-01-12 2:04 PM
quincyf - 2011-01-12 9:48 AM
DaveL - 2011-01-12 9:36 AM  
On the weekend I set up my little training area in my furnace room. I

LMAO, will you PLEASE post pix?  I am thinking about a similar setup in my mud room... 

In the lighted picture you can see the water container with a black hose on the right along with my netbook. I can reach both so I can refill my water or change to a different video while biking. For sound I use headphones that seal well and have a volume control on them. There is a pull string on the left so I can turn the light on or off. I normally bike with it off so the screen is better. I built a bracket to hold the projector off of the ceiling. The space is a little small but its all that I need and it was otherwise wasted space plus I dont care if it drip sweat onto the floor or spill water.

Are you married? If so you are lucky to have your "man space". lol.

2011-01-13 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3296284

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" OPEN
macm - 2011-01-12 10:49 PM
triritter - 2011-01-12 6:16 AM
macm - 2011-01-12 12:34 AM I came across this group and noticed a couple of people here are racing in Kemah in April.  If it is not too late, I would like to join...
Name: macm
Story: used to live near the coast, moved to Austin for work and needed something to do that was not fishing or sailing.... So I bought a road bike and entered the Austin triathlon last September.  I did better than planned, but an old college friend beat me by over an hour.  My goal is to improve my olympic time by an hour for the next Austin race and need help sticking to a productive plan for my second race in Kemah.
2011 schedule: April 3 - Kemah Triathlon
September - Austin Triathlon 
why I need a mentor - I tend to become injured quickly and need some help with a dynamic training regimen that can help prevent injury.

Hello MACM, first of all how do you pronounce your name? Gateway to the Bay in Kemah, is an awesome triathlon. I did it last year, didn't fair so great but still had fun out there. Why do you become injured so quickly? I would like more back ground on you. How old you are? What you do for work? What is your "average" training week like. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

It's Mike, I'm 29 and work in business management for a power company.  I haven't developed an average training week yet - it varies from one day of running to a mix of run/bike/swim all week.  My first problems were shin splints, but now it's the outside of my left knee.  Every bike ride seems to expose the pain during each pedal stroke; it seems to be ITBS, but shows up after a long layoff and little exercise.  This also happened last year and really slowed me down.  I'm wondering if lots of weight training would help prevent these issues?

Hey Mike, first of all I would say increase your endurance slow and gradual first and stay consistent. 20 minutes a day is better than 60 min one day a week.  Second, you should get a proper bike fit.
2011-01-13 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Tyler,
Hey guys,

Looks like there are about 18 of you guys. Go to my training log page and look at the list and if I left you out on accident let me know. You can access each other faster this way instead of searching through the forum. It was 23 degrees this morning on my way to work. I get off around 11:15am, so most of my training is done in the afternoon, but it still has been really cold lately. It's mainly the wind that is kicking my rear but I am getting through it. I think my base runs are a little slower than normal right now since it's so cold.
2011-01-13 3:36 PM

I'm looking for a good half ironman training plan.  Sure I could make one up myself, but being new at this, I prefer to use someone elses.  Has anyone used the ones that cost money on BT?  Is there another site that you would recommend with better training plans?  Thanks!

Korin 
2011-01-13 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3298017

User image

Regular
Did the same swim workout tonight it went better. Does anyone have anything else for me to mix things up with? I'm not very creative with swim workouts being new to it. My longest swim so far has been 600 yd. Should I go for something longer next time I get in the pool and just do laps? maybe some speed changes, I've never played around with that before. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks,
Grant
2011-01-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3298584

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I had fun with some of Ruth Kazez's workouts last winter...did her IM workup to improve my swimming until I started training...made it about halfway...

Last year I did a lot of ladders and short sets followed by one long set type of workouts, plus drills.  

Most people will tell you to break your swim distance down into intervals, but I have also read some coaches who think you need a "long swim" type of workout too.  I am too new to have an opinion, but am constantly on the lookout for more evidence/information.

2011-01-14 12:38 AM
in reply to: #3296439

User image

Austin
triritter - 2011-01-13 6:38 AM
macm - 2011-01-12 12:34 AM I came across this group and noticed a couple of people here are racing in Kemah in April.  If it is not too late, I would like to join...
Story: used to live near the coast, moved to Austin for work and needed something to do that was not fishing or sailing.... So I bought a road bike and entered the Austin triathlon last September.  I did better than planned, but an old college friend beat me by over an hour.  My goal is to improve my olympic time by an hour for the next Austin race and need help sticking to a productive plan for my second race in Kemah.
why I need a mentor - I tend to become injured quickly and need some help with a dynamic training regimen that can help prevent injury.

Hello MACM, first of all how do you pronounce your name? Gateway to the Bay in Kemah, is an awesome triathlon. I did it last year, didn't fair so great but still had fun out there. Why do you become injured so quickly? I would like more back ground on you. How old you are? What you do for work? What is your "average" training week like. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

It's Mike, I'm 29 and work in business management for a power company.  I haven't developed an average training week yet - it varies from one day of running to a mix of run/bike/swim all week.  My first problems were shin splints, but now it's the outside of my left knee.  Every bike ride seems to expose the pain during each pedal stroke; it seems to be ITBS, but shows up after a long layoff and little exercise.  This also happened last year and really slowed me down.  I'm wondering if lots of weight training would help prevent these issues?

Hey Mike, first of all I would say increase your endurance slow and gradual first and stay consistent. 20 minutes a day is better than 60 min one day a week.  Second, you should get a proper bike fit.

I will try to be more consistent.  My knee problem shows up on both mountain and road.  I spoke to a co-worker today, who said that her physical therapist is rolling her IT band out forcefully over a few sessions.  It sounds painfull, but whatever works. 

Is speed or endurance more easily achievable?  I would like to have endurance, but it is really boring running slow.  Can I focus on speed and gain endurance at the same time?
2011-01-14 6:11 AM

User image

Tyler,
ABW26 - 2011-01-13 3:36 PM I'm looking for a good half ironman training plan.  Sure I could make one up myself, but being new at this, I prefer to use someone elses.  Has anyone used the ones that cost money on BT?  Is there another site that you would recommend with better training plans?  Thanks!

Korin 

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I use a coach. But if your just starting out one of the BT plans will probably be fine.
2011-01-14 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3298584

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-13 8:55 PM Did the same swim workout tonight it went better. Does anyone have anything else for me to mix things up with? I'm not very creative with swim workouts being new to it. My longest swim so far has been 600 yd. Should I go for something longer next time I get in the pool and just do laps? maybe some speed changes, I've never played around with that before. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks,
Grant

600 yards? Is this because you are worn out? or lack motivation? I would start breaking up your swim to increase endurance like doing 10x100 easy of course, w/ 10-20"  rest, 5x200, something along those lines. If you would like a short workout do something like 200 easy swim warmup, 6x50 as 25 drill/25 swim, 4x100 @ race pace (15" rest), 100 cool down. There's definitely more you can do with longer workouts.
2011-01-14 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3298594

User image

Tyler,
quincyf - 2011-01-13 9:06 PM I had fun with some of Ruth Kazez's workouts last winter...did her IM workup to improve my swimming until I started training...made it about halfway...

Last year I did a lot of ladders and short sets followed by one long set type of workouts, plus drills.  

Most people will tell you to break your swim distance down into intervals, but I have also read some coaches who think you need a "long swim" type of workout too.  I am too new to have an opinion, but am constantly on the lookout for more evidence/information.

Quincy, like I suggested earlier to increase swim endurance is to break it up into easy intervals, as things become easier you can start piecing it together and doing longer intervals, so both are good.
I've done some ladders before like 500,400,300,200,100 on very short rest.

User image

Tyler,
quincyf - 2011-01-13 9:06 PM I had fun with some of Ruth Kazez's workouts last winter...did her IM workup to improve my swimming until I started training...made it about halfway...

Quincy, like I suggested earlier to increase swim endurance is to break it up into easy intervals, as things become easier you can start piecing it together and doing longer intervals, so both are good.

User image

Tyler,

User image

Tyler,

User image

Tyler,

2011-01-14 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3298781

User image

Tyler,
macm - 2011-01-14 12:38 AM
triritter - 2011-01-13 6:38 AM

I will try to be more consistent.  My knee problem shows up on both mountain and road.  I spoke to a co-worker today, who said that her physical therapist is rolling her IT band out forcefully over a few sessions.  It sounds painfull, but whatever works. 

Is speed or endurance more easily achievable?  I would like to have endurance, but it is really boring running slow.  Can I focus on speed and gain endurance at the same time?

Tell me more about your running back ground?
2011-01-14 6:22 AM

User image

Tyler,
What's  happening group?

It supposed to eventually start warmup here soon. It's 38 degrees here this morning, the warmest it's been in the morning all week .

What are your weekend training plans. I am off to Dallas tonight and will swim with my buddy Travis, we are about even on the swim so it should be a good workout tonight. I never swam with him besides just in racing and I beat him out of the water at 70.3 Austin and he beat me out of the water at 70.3 World Championships, but I saw him and snuck by him through transition. Saturday I am riding 4 hours with the group I rode with last week and 75-90 min aerobic run on Sunday.

Have a good weekend group and let me know how it goes.

2011-01-14 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3298882

User image

Dallas, TX
I am on my way to San Diego tomorrow (for work, but still San Diego does not suckLaughing).  Lots of work stuff and big dinners, so working out may be challenging.  I'll be able to run, but not sure besides that.  I'm bringing my swimming stuff, just in case though.
2011-01-14 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
medium run today, 51 minutes then a 16km run on Sunday. Saturday is a rest day.
2011-01-14 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Taking the fam to an OHL hockey game in Erie Saturday night and then to Chuck E Cheese Sunday for lunch.  Plan is to get a swim in tomorrow morning before we leave and then to ride on the trainer when I get home Sunday.  The hotel has a nice fitness area but I doubt I'll have time to use it.

The work we put in now will pay huge dividends this summer.
2011-01-14 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
There is a half training plan in Triathlete magazine this month. I cant say if it is good or bad as I wouldnt know but its a start. I personally think that as long as you are following something you would be fine, without a plan I think most people just naturally gravitate to the sport they like best and shy away from their weakest event.
2011-01-14 8:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Good morning, all.

Looking forward to a 3-day weekend and some good training on the agenda. Already kicked it off with my first morning workout of the season. I almost forgot that getting up early isn't too terribly bad.

Tempo run tonight, 60' on the bike tomorrow and 3200 in the pool. Sunday is a 9 mile run (and 2 weeks from the half marathon). Monday includes another 60' session on the bike and an easy 1500 in the pool.

Hoping that I can get a lot of work done today and when I am not training this weekend I can be doing nothing. Smile

2011-01-14 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran

Trainning planned for the weekend - had a early morning 45' trainer ride today and will finish the day with a 45' tempo run and some core after school.  Tomorrow I have a 60' bike...hoping to be able to ride outside for this one...and a 3200 swim.  Sunday is a long run.  The weekend is packed with training, but that keeps me out of trouble.

2011-01-14 9:59 AM

New user

Hi all,

Finally started my training program this morning and am horrified by how unfit I am! Plan to do a spinning class on Saturday and my first ride outside on Sunday if the weather permits. 
2011-01-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3298867

Master
Montgomery, Tx
triritter - 2011-01-14 6:11 AM
ABW26 - 2011-01-13 3:36 PM I'm looking for a good half ironman training plan.  Sure I could make one up myself, but being new at this, I prefer to use someone elses.  Has anyone used the ones that cost money on BT?  Is there another site that you would recommend with better training plans?  Thanks!

Korin 

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I use a coach. But if your just starting out one of the BT plans will probably be fine.

I used the bt begginer plan for my first HIM which was my second race.  I felt under prepared on my bike, but finished better than my soft goal.  The second HIM I used the Intermediate BT HIM and felt very prepared and I think I could have raced harder. 
2011-01-14 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
What's the general take on training zones?  Is that another name for heart rate zones?  I have never done any of my previous training (running mainly) using zones.  Should I consider exploring this?  Does it help to know how easy or hard you're working?

I got a Garmin 305 for Christmas and have the ability to keep track of my heart rate - although I haven't learned much about how to use it.  Learning to use my Garmin to it's potential is another topic to discuss someday.  (I can't even get it to locate satellites!)

Thanks for the input.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28