BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3261566

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
phxphotog - 2010-12-25 8:27 PM
ewoolf44 - 2010-12-25 9:11 PM Merry Christmas everyone! 

No training today but definitely a big run and swim tomorrow to offset the epic feast that lasted all day.

Tri gifts include an aero drink set up and lap counter for the pool.

Hope you all had a good one.

Eric

I would love a lap counter. Good gifts.

Yeah it should be pretty useful. I swim at an LA Fitness that has a 25 yd lap pool and I tend to lose track of my laps after a while. Can't wait to try it. I'll let you know how it works out after a couple of uses. 

2010-12-26 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3261369

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2010-12-26 5:43 AM
2010-12-26 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3256949

Master
Good Morning! We're on the way out of town to see my parents for a few days. I got up early and got my longest run in since October which was 5.62 miles. I felt like running further but the plan said 45 minutes with an extra 10 minutes -If I felt good. I felt good and wanted to run even longer but am following the plan and taking it slow. Which will pay off long term. It is just hard to be patient.

Fred, I'm also trying to run slower again. Although my slower pace is a lot slower than yours! It has been difficult to find my pacing again after being off for so long. Those of you who live up north will appreciate this. It was 29 today when I went out for my run. That is the coldest that it has ever been when I've run outside before.
2010-12-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3261659

Good Morning! I totally relate to training bringing you sanity.  I am going to California on Wednesday and have decided to take from Wednesday to Sunday off.  This is hard!! but I think it will be good to get a break before starting my Iron Fit program (which is actually supposed to start Dec 27 but I will have to just jump into week 2).  Even my husband said, "Oh you are in a better mood when you are running, etc....are you sure about taking time off." lol.

Would be great to talk about pacing...I relate to having a hard time slowing down....and not to introduce too many topics to discuss but just wanted to throw out that I don't have/ have never used a heart rate monitor (low tech me again!).. would love your input about were to start with this (sorry I have so much to learn!) Thanks, kate
2010-12-26 9:23 AM

Master
South Alabama

Always interesting to hear about experiences with different training philosophies/plans.  Some are so different. For example Endurance Nation follows more of a "fast then far" with frequent intervals at FTP on the bike and more interval training on the run as compared to Mark Allen Online which seems to advocate alot of Z2 aerobic base training (Maffetone method).  Hope we can get into this at some point as it is interesting to me how 2 very different approaches can both yield positive results. 

Heading back home today and back to training tomorrow. Took 3 days off to give my hamstring and calf a chance to heal a bit.

Randy 

2010-12-26 9:27 AM

Expert
As far as gearing goes, most races here in the Arizona area are pretty flat, including the IMAZ course. When I first started riding, I had problems with hills and probably could have used those larger gears on the back. Now, I'm getting out of the saddle and pushing up the hills. When I get to the top though, I'm winded and don't push as hard down the other side as I should. Just something to work on I guess. I don't plan on changing gears but I'll ask when I go in for my bike fit.

Here in Phoenix, our training seasons are pretty much backwards from the rest of the States. During the summer, it's very hot (120 degrees) so we end up training inside or super early in the morning to get our workouts in. During the winter, the weather here is beautiful and we can train all day long. Sometimes it is still a little cold early in the morning but nothing like what you guys in cold country deal with. Hydration is also a huge issue in the summer here because we don't really have humidity and with the heat, it just sucks the water out of you. With it being dry, you are sweating but it evaporates off of you so fast that you don't really feel yourself sweating so you have to just keep drinking.

As far as slowing down the pace, this isn't an issue for me. I'm still pretty much slow at everything but I told myself that year one would be just building volume. I'm hitting my longest swims, bikes and runs right now. Today I have a 10 mile run, which will be my second longest run in preparation for my 1/2 marathon coming up on Jan 16th. I'm really not trying to push the pace yet because I fear getting injured. This last year, with the exception of a few small things, I stayed injury free and I want to keep it that way.

On tap for today, I have a 30 min swim and a 10 mile run to do. I also have to take family pictures for some friends of ours. I'm not normally a still camera guy so this will be different. Hope everyone has a great training day.

2010-12-26 11:01 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
It would be great to put training paces on the list of things to talk about.
I have a sticker on my car that says "This IS my race pace!"  I am a very slow runner and when I read "run at your 5K, 10K, marathon pace, etc.. I really don't know what to to do with that." The one time I had a workout that said marathon pace, there was a fine line between running/walking as I can only imagine what that pace would be like (never have done a marathon) but I am sure if I attempted a marathon at this point I would be walking a LARGE part of it Smile.  Zone training works for me on the bike but again with the running, it is hard to keep my HR down in Z1-Z2 without it turning into a walk/run. It is possible that I need to figure out my zones again. Anyway, a great topic to put on the list.
2010-12-26 11:37 AM

Master
Baltimore
Happy late Xmas everyone. I'm a bit late, sorry. I'm new to the whole Xmas thing but was up with my fiancé's family yesterday. She said we be home by 4 or 5...plenty of time for a good run. Well, we really got home around 9:15 so my long run started at 9:45 at night. Not ideal, and I cut it short a few miles but I got 10 miles in. My routes through Baltimore are fine during the day/early evening but at 11 at night it felt a little sketchy, even to me.
2010-12-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3261811

Extreme Veteran
London
Kath2163 - 2010-12-26 5:01 PM

It would be great to put training paces on the list of things to talk about.
I have a sticker on my car that says "This IS my race pace!"  I am a very slow runner and when I read "run at your 5K, 10K, marathon pace, etc.. I really don't know what to to do with that." The one time I had a workout that said marathon pace, there was a fine line between running/walking as I can only imagine what that pace would be like (never have done a marathon) but I am sure if I attempted a marathon at this point I would be walking a LARGE part of it Smile.  Zone training works for me on the bike but again with the running, it is hard to keep my HR down in Z1-Z2 without it turning into a walk/run. It is possible that I need to figure out my zones again. Anyway, a great topic to put on the list.

+1 for this!

I used to think the run was pretty sold for me. Not fast but definitely a case of I just wouldn't stop regardless of what happened. However I had some problems with my calves earlier in the year so took a good few months off running completely. Now I'm back at it I'm finding I'm almost 2 mins / mile faster! My "coasting" or going long pace was always 10 min/mile since I was a kid however the same RPE now is hitting closer to 8:30min/mile which has me really confused. The only thing I can think is the cycle commuting but I'm still confused.

So do people normally go for long and slow over the Dec-Feb period or just running slower generally? If so, why?

Sorry - I know very little about triathlons so am going to try and listen more than talk. lol
2010-12-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3261643

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-26 6:41 AMWell good morning team!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I have a 7 mile run to do at a MUCH slower pace than I'm used to or want to run on the schedule as well as 45 min. on the trainer. My coach wants me to STFD. (Slow the F--- Down!) and I am listening carefully. Might be something to talk about, ie; training paces in Dec-Feb on the bike and run?

Wanted to also discuss as Tankboy (Rusty) earlier mentioned about cassettes. We do list them by the extremes, ie; 12-27, but the rings in between these extremes are important too.

Question? What is the drawback of a 12-27 vs. a 12-25? ie; we know you get a benefit from the extra climibg gear, but there are no free lunches, so what do you lose for this trade?

Another issue for cassettes is the concept of riding a tighter cassette (11-21) with a compact. Truthfully even very strong cyclists can benefit from the compact this way. Why?

Sorry for all the questions, but hoping to stimulate some good discussion
I'm in love with my compact for some of the reasons you alluded too - the ability to run a tighter cassette and ability to get that extra "granny" gear (and now that I'm ok enough with my manhood to use it). I've forgotten to switch out my 11-25 I use for hills for an 11-23 I use for rollers and it's very noticeable. I kept searching for that "right" gear in the flats. I like to be in the mid to low 90s cadence but was going back and forth between 80s and 100 for the effort I was putting out (e.g I was going between a 15 tooth cog and a 17 tooth cog but the 16 was missing and it's the one I really wanted. I just made those up, but the extra 2 tooth jumps in the wider range cassettes make this scenario more likely). I could have gone a little easier or harder to get my sweet spot cadence, but that would have has negative effects either way. I might be looking for and 11-21 for eagleman, or do they make 12-21s? Tightest spacing youncould get on a 10 speed, sounds awesome.
2010-12-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3261581

Master
Baltimore
ewoolf44 - 2010-12-26 12:14 AM
phxphotog - 2010-12-25 8:27 PM
ewoolf44 - 2010-12-25 9:11 PM Merry Christmas everyone! 

No training today but definitely a big run and swim tomorrow to offset the epic feast that lasted all day.

Tri gifts include an aero drink set up and lap counter for the pool.

Hope you all had a good one.

Eric

I would love a lap counter. Good gifts.

Yeah it should be pretty useful. I swim at an LA Fitness that has a 25 yd lap pool and I tend to lose track of my laps after a while. Can't wait to try it. I'll let you know how it works out after a couple of uses. 

Let us know how you like it. I've been debating one for awhile. Anything aver 300 and I'm prone to losing track in my head.

2010-12-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3261838

Master
Highlands Ranch
I have these same type of questions, since I quite literally only started running a few years back.  Mostly I have one speed, "forward", with the possible exception of  "short sprint/follow up with walking".
I had trouble adhering to a plan last year due to schedule and life complexity, this year I'm going to try Matt Lieto's HIM plan; the big question on following a plan is, how much latitude do you give to moving things to different days? Obviously bricks need to stay together, but I'll probably swim almost exclusively in the mornings, and the OWS schedule at my chosen spot has some restrictions as well.  I also have a mental challenge taking Mondays off in favor of Fridays, but realize there's likely some physiological reasoning for the structure being what it is.  Feedback is appreciated

Edited by StMaas 2010-12-26 12:14 PM
2010-12-26 1:08 PM

2010-12-26 1:29 PM

2010-12-26 1:31 PM

2010-12-26 1:36 PM

2010-12-26 3:14 PM

Denmark
I think running pace is a great subject. From when I started training again this january up until I started the be iron fit plan, I used the Mcmillan pace calculator, I think that worked out fine. Now I am running by HR, and the pace is pretty much equal to that of the Mcmillan calculator. So I think that training done by HR and Pace seem to correlate. What is your opinion on that topic Fred?
2010-12-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3262010

2010-12-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3261931

Fred Doucette - 2010-12-26 1:31 PM Here is a link to the Macmillan calculator which does not use HR for run pacing. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm[/QUOTE... />

Love this link! Does really work for me meaning the 10k does predict my half marathon time and (well almost) marathon time.  These paces are also matched to what I was doing with the FIRST program for marathon training.... what I find hard is to do long runs at the recommended pace (want to go faster to just get it over with!) but I think it will be super important with ironman training to stick to slow long run paces to avoid injury. 

On a side bar wanted to share observation today: so it is snow storming here today and I put on my snow boots and trudged through central park to the Metropolitan Musuem of Art (this relates to triathlon, you'll see!).  I was looking at these Grecian urns that are about 2,500 years old.  There were 3 with beautiful athletes running.  I know this sounds dorky, but I think of those urns some times when I run...just the pure joy in running that we as a species have enjoyed for thousands of years!  Kate
2010-12-26 6:59 PM

Master
South Alabama

McMillan is an excellent source for calulating training paces.  Another good source is Jack Daniels (not the whiskey) who uses a system that assigns an individual a "VDOT" based on a recent race or timed run. Very similar to Mcmillan in terms of recommending different paces for an individual depending on the specific workout.  www.runworks.com/calculator.php  is a calculator that can give you recommended paces based on a current race time.  I have the Daniels book that has VDOT charts in it but I dont know how to post a link to that information.    

I agree with Fred that HR training can be affected by many variables and may not always be the best indicator of your effort.  HR can be affected by hydration, limited sleep, stress and many other things. The other problem with HR training is that it "trails" your actual effort-if you start doing a hard interval it will take some time for your HR to build to reflect your current effort level.  With that said, I still wear a HR monitor most of the time when I run and always when on the bike to provide information in addition to watts, etc. from the Powertap.   

I pay more attention to HR on my long runs than tempo or interval efforts.  My long runs are suppose to be easy and I dont worry too much about pace as long as I am keeping my HR at the appropriate level.  Most of the time the pace is about what I expect but in a long run I want to build on my aerobic base so I pay more attention to the HR. 

I think HR, RPE and the more complicated information provided through a powertap all have their place.  Consistency is key.  Find a means to measure your workout intensity and then you have something to guage your progress.   

Randy

2010-12-26 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3262204

Master
Baltimore
slornow - 2010-12-26 7:59 PM

McMillan is an excellent source for calulating training paces.  Another good source is Jack Daniels (not the whiskey) who uses a system that assigns an individual a "VDOT" based on a recent race or timed run. Very similar to Mcmillan in terms of recommending different paces for an individual depending on the specific workout.  www.runworks.com/calculator.php  is a calculator that can give you recommended paces based on a current race time.  I have the Daniels book that has VDOT charts in it but I dont know how to post a link to that information.    

I agree with Fred that HR training can be affected by many variables and may not always be the best indicator of your effort.  HR can be affected by hydration, limited sleep, stress and many other things. The other problem with HR training is that it "trails" your actual effort-if you start doing a hard interval it will take some time for your HR to build to reflect your current effort level.  With that said, I still wear a HR monitor most of the time when I run and always when on the bike to provide information in addition to watts, etc. from the Powertap.   

I pay more attention to HR on my long runs than tempo or interval efforts.  My long runs are suppose to be easy and I dont worry too much about pace as long as I am keeping my HR at the appropriate level.  Most of the time the pace is about what I expect but in a long run I want to build on my aerobic base so I pay more attention to the HR. 

I think HR, RPE and the more complicated information provided through a powertap all have their place.  Consistency is key.  Find a means to measure your workout intensity and then you have something to guage your progress.   

Randy

Like Fred and Randy, I used to train by HR but now use it more as a secondary or tertiary check, mostly if I feel like something is out of whack or to confirm that everything is OK.  It can be very helpful to show when something isn't right (like hydration, fatigue, sickness etc).  The one thing I do differently from Randy is on my long runs.  I tend to be lazy about bringing water, and especially now that it's cold I mostly don't drink anything during a run.  If I go over an hour, I try to leave a bottle at my house and do a loop to take a swig somewhere near the middle, but I know as my runs approach an hour, my HR is going to rise from hydration, even though I'm keeping pace the same.  Obviously, if you stay hydrated, it's much less an issue, but I think in general in a long run or a race, you'll expect to see a little HR creep.  About 15-20 min into the run is where I'll do my HR "check".

My HR strap battery died last week, and I haven't gotten a new one (bought the wrong kind actually), and I'm not missing it much, though I'll get it eventually because I do like to have the "check" every now and again.

I like that JD pace calculator.  More straightforward (to me at least) than the McMillian one.  I liked how it could predict your pace at different race distances, but I don't know enough to make use of all the other training paces it prescribes.  The JD seemed to be in categories I could understand.  Thanks for the link!

Edited by jsiegs 2010-12-26 8:43 PM

2010-12-26 9:00 PM

Master
Baltimore
I have a question regarding pace: I've been running mostly by feel for the past few months as I've build run volume.  WHen I had a HR monitor it fell squarely in a Z2 range, though sometimes crept to Z3 sometimes to Z1.  That pace has slowly dropped a little (due to less heat/humidity I think) but I've been hitting my gains (not huge gains, about 5 miles/month from sept to Dec) without ever feeling hurt or too run down.  A few times I've been a little more sore than I'd like, mostly because of scheduling squishing runs too close.  Based on JD's calculator and a recent 5k result (all I have for an open run race in the past year) I should be 15-20 sec slower per mile for those easy/long/endurance runs.  I mix in something fast most weeks (either intervals, maybe 5 or 10 k pace intervals or a mile long all out performance test I try to do - that's probably really bad, since I have zero plan or concept of what I'm doing there).   Anyway, to wrap up this novel of a question - if I've been hitting this pace, and it doesn't seem to be affecting me adversely (been on Jorge's plan along with it) should I slow down? Or do you think it's ok to just keep that pace?  Or should I try to slow it down and be more consistent with faster efforts (tempo and/or intervals) each week?  My only real goal until 2011 was running a lot more than I had been, so now I need to decide to keep doing that or change it up a little.
2010-12-27 6:38 AM

Master
South Alabama

Joe-fortunately for me hydration on my long runs isn't an issue as there are several places along my usual route with water fountains.  But, my HR is much higher, at the same pace, during the hot and humid summers down here than where it is on a nice 50 degree day.

I think both McMillan and Daniels discuss what % of weekly mileage/time should be spent at what level of intensity/pace. Before beginning to use the HR monitor on runs I found that I tended to push the pace more than I should have.   The coach I used last year had me doing almost all runs at an "easy" pace. As I got closer to race season I would do 1 interval session a week and then in the weeks leading up to a goal race I would do the last 2-3 miles of a long run at race pace or faster to get accustom to pushing some when already fatigued.  I've read articles on some of the great Kenyan runners and while they may be able to maintain a 4:55/mile pace through a marathon they do many long runs at 8-9min/mile pace-basically shuffling along for them.  As with almost everything it is finding the balance that is key  

It is much easier on the body to do more frequent hard intervals on the bike as you dont have the same stress on the body.  I find this is especially true now that I am an old man.  While I enjoy the running intervals/speed work it takes me longer to recover. I am a big believer in active recovery as an easy swim or 45 min bike make my legs feel better after a hard run effort.   

Randy

2010-12-27 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3262468

Master
Baltimore
Agree on the balance.  I'm betting those Kenyans run over 100 miles a week, something I couldn't dream of.  So it's a game of maximizing an efficient usage of the time we have, while balancing the type and quantity of stress we put on our bodies with our ability to recover.

I like the idea of doing those last few miles of the long run at race pace.  What did that do for your recovery?  Did it take noticibly longer/were you more sore?  Well, I'm betting you were more sore, but more sore in a good way or to where it could affect things negatively?
2010-12-27 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3262482

Master
South Alabama

jsiegs - I like the idea of doing those last few miles of the long run at race pace.  What did that do for your recovery?  Did it take noticibly longer/were you more sore?  Well, I'm betting you were more sore, but more sore in a good way or to where it could affect things negatively?

No real problems with the increased pace at the end of a long run.  Good thing is the body is really warmed up and my "race pace" was for the half marathon at the end of a HIM. So, maybe a minute faster than my ususal long run pace-not too bad. Also, this would typically be on a Sunday and my interval run day was Wed. so plenty of time to recover from harder effort. As I got closer to my HIM and had some tough Sat./Sunday workouts I would try to have a "leg rest" day on Monday with just swimming and maybe a super easy 30-45 min. ride on the rollers to flush out the legs-nothing to compromise recovery.

Randy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76