BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-06 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Sunderland
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
I joined my local YMCA this evening and did my first swim "workout".  This is the same Y that Grace (gcoller) goes to.  They have a 20 yard pool.  I was in the pool for 20 minutes and I might have swam 400 yards.  Maybe it was 360 yards.  I lost track pretty quickly but I was swimming with a friend of mine that was keeping track of his laps.  Either way, I was absolutely cooked.  I have a totally new respect for swimmers.  I spent quite a bit of time at either end of the pool catching my breath.  I didn't have any real expectations going into it so I'm not at all disappointed or discouraged.  You have to start somewhere.

I think I'm going add a little structure to my workouts and start following a plan.  So far I've just been running when I have free time after work, shooting for a few times a week.  Adding swimming into the mix and school when it starts up again (taking two classes) complicates things.  I definitely need a plan.  I was scoping out the ones on BT the other night.  I think it's just a matter of finding one that I stick with and making it happen.  Just saying.

I'm really digging everyone's posts.

microspawn - I'm amazed at how consistent (and fast) your splits were.  Are you always that consistent?  Is consistency like that something that develops over time, like after years of running?

I'd write more but I am absolutely spent.  This triathlete-in-training is calling it a night.

2011-01-06 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3283687

User image

Expert
bendart - 2011-01-06 8:18 PM I joined my local YMCA this evening and did my first swim "workout".  This is the same Y that Grace (gcoller) goes to.  

that's cool.  Do you know each other yet?  Sounds like your first swim was pretty typical, actually better than a lot of the stories I've read around here from some first time swimmers!  Keep at it.

I sorta lucked out when I started swimming a year or so ago, as I signed up for a PE class at the local JC just to get access to their pool (cheapest option in town).  Turns out the teacher on deck is the head swim coach for a local swim team, and he was (is) very generous offering pointers and stroke help to all of us floundering around in the pool during class.  Every week or two he'll come over and watch a few laps, call me over and give me a bunch of new (or old) things to work on.  Pretty sweet deal, $50/semester and it includes coaching!  Downside is I can only go during the school year, and only on monday's and wednesdays from 12:30-2pm.  Upside is that schedule usually works for me.  Class starts again in about 2 weeks I think.

microspawn - I'm amazed at how consistent (and fast) your splits were.  Are you always that consistent?  Is consistency like that something that develops over time, like after years of running?

I was wondering the same thing!  spawn, Were you running by feel, or checking a GPS watch every 20 seconds to stay on pace? Wink

I just came in from the garage after another 45 minutes on the treadmill after tucking the kids in bed.  Instead of running during the beautiful sunny day today, I bought a new couch...  Sort of as opposite from tri-training as it gets! Sealed
2011-01-07 5:00 AM
in reply to: #3283755

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was wondering the same thing!  spawn, Were you running by feel, or checking a GPS watch every 20 seconds to stay on pace?

I was checking the GPS often - the splits were what was recorded in TrainingPeaks.com - Garmin connect had each split + / - a second or two - still pretty close. I knew what paces I needed to run and just tried to execute. This run was really good for me. It was at that HARD effort but not completely over the edge.

Regarding training plans - just pick a plan, any plan is going to work. Consistency is the key.
2011-01-07 5:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Swimming is humbling. It is not like running – it is a skill set like golf or darts. In running if you want to go faster you run harder (to an extent), however, swimming harder means you just use more energy. Form is everything.

2011-01-07 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
That is faaassst!

I can do a fast mile, and thats it....lol...

Actually today is the run day for our tri club.  Run to the track, then a timed mile, then run some more.  I will let everyone know how it goes.

Swimming is my weakest area.  I have come a long way, I am down to the stage where I am having to do little tweaks to my form in order to swim more efficiently.  Actually tomorrow I am going to a 3 hour swim clinic run by a local Triathlete.  I am hoping to come away from it with a better understanding of what I am doing wrong and how to do it right.  The clinic meets again in two weeks to see how we have improved and get more pointers.  Super excited about it! 
2011-01-07 10:41 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
bendart - 2011-01-06 9:18 PMI joined my local YMCA this evening and did my first swim "workout".  This is the same Y that Grace (gcoller) goes to.  They have a 20 yard pool.  I was in the pool for 20 minutes and I might have swam 400 yards.  Maybe it was 360 yards.  I lost track pretty quickly but I was swimming with a friend of mine that was keeping track of his laps.  Either way, I was absolutely cooked.  I have a totally new respect for swimmers.  I spent quite a bit of time at either end of the pool catching my breath.  I didn't have any real expectations going into it so I'm not at all disappointed or discouraged.  You have to start somewhere.

I think I'm going add a little structure to my workouts and start following a plan.  So far I've just been running when I have free time after work, shooting for a few times a week.  Adding swimming into the mix and school when it starts up again (taking two classes) complicates things.  I definitely need a plan.  I was scoping out the ones on BT the other night.  I think it's just a matter of finding one that I stick with and making it happen.  Just saying.

I'd write more but I am absolutely spent.  This triathlete-in-training is calling it a night.

Ben sounds like u did well on the swim, I was whipped on my first one too, and didn't get in quite as much distance. I am also about to begin school again and with work and a family it can be challenging. I am doing the 3x balanced sprint training the only change is i am using michael pates beginner swim program instead of the minutes in the 3x sprint. I just need to start slower in the swim with no experience.

2011-01-07 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
warning, no tri content... 

sad morning here, I just came in from burying our cat.  He was 18 (actually knew my wife longer than I did), lived a good life, and died last night while sleeping under a tree in our backyard.  RIP Hobie.
2011-01-07 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
bendart - 2011-01-06 9:18 PM I joined my local YMCA this evening and did my first swim "workout".  This is the same Y that Grace (gcoller) goes to.  They have a 20 yard pool.  I was in the pool for 20 minutes and I might have swam 400 yards.  Maybe it was 360 yards.  I lost track pretty quickly but I was swimming with a friend of mine that was keeping track of his laps.  Either way, I was absolutely cooked.  I have a totally new respect for swimmers.  I spent quite a bit of time at either end of the pool catching my breath.  I didn't have any real expectations going into it so I'm not at all disappointed or discouraged.  You have to start somewhere.

Good for you - joining the Y and hopping in the pool. I can totally relate to your first time in the pool. I was a swimmer way back in the day, and we boat and water ski etc. all the time...so I thought it would be the easiest thing for me to rack up the mileage in the pool. Boy, was I ever in for a surprise!!! Winded much?? Good grief. Thought I would drown. Now after a couple of years of 2/wk swims on average-it is amazing how much better it is..it did take a little while to build up that stamina to go lap after lap without hanging at the edges..I am a big fan of swimplan.com for some simple swim workouts to keep the monotony at bay. Check it out when you can put a few lengths together-keep at it - it WILL get better!

Holly
2011-01-07 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3284676

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-07 10:45 AM warning, no tri content... 

sad morning here, I just came in from burying our cat.  He was 18 (actually knew my wife longer than I did), lived a good life, and died last night while sleeping under a tree in our backyard.  RIP Hobie.

Oh, so sorry to hear. Embarassed I lost my 18 year old kitty a year ago and it is so hard. What a nice long life though. I hope to go under my favorite tree after a nice long life like that!! It does sound like he had a great life.
2011-01-07 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3283827

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
microspawn - 2011-01-07 4:00 AM
I was wondering the same thing!  spawn, Were you running by feel, or checking a GPS watch every 20 seconds to stay on pace?
I was checking the GPS often - the splits were what was recorded in TrainingPeaks.com - Garmin connect had each split + / - a second or two - still pretty close. I knew what paces I needed to run and just tried to execute. This run was really good for me. It was at that HARD effort but not completely over the edge. Regarding training plans - just pick a plan, any plan is going to work. Consistency is the key.

Will you run the leg in my next tri? I can't even imagine running that fast!!
2011-01-07 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3283175

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Bert/David - I'll get the measurements this weekend and send them through.  Maybe it'll be a good fit.  

Drew 

2011-01-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3283065

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
01. 6:30 02. 6:30 03. 6:36 04. 6:30 05. 6:30 06. 6:30

Ugh.  Way to lose it on mile 3.  Those are ridiculously even splits.  Nice work!!!  On a scale of 1 to 10, what was the effort here (1 being almost asleep, 10 being "seeing jesus" as my XC coach used to say)

Drew 
2011-01-07 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3284676

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-07 9:45 AM warning, no tri content... 

Sorry to hear that.  I know how much of a member of the family pets become.  A you and Holly both said, it sounds like Hobie lived a long, good life.     
2011-01-07 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Sorry to hear about your cat.  It is always tough losing a pet!

Did the run with the Tri club this morning, 6 miles total.  One of the miles was a timed mile at the track.  I did mine in 7:02!  Last year, my timed mile was 7:40, so I have improved some.  I am really happy with that number.  The work just has to begin to be able to keep that up for longer than the mile :-
2011-01-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3285053

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Dixbry - 2011-01-07 11:39 AM Did the run with the Tri club this morning, 6 miles total.  One of the miles was a timed mile at the track.  I did mine in 7:02!  Last year, my timed mile was 7:40, so I have improved some.  I am really happy with that number.  The work just has to begin to be able to keep that up for longer than the mile :-

Congrats!  That's a huge improvement.  Keep things consistent and that time will continue to plummet!
2011-01-07 6:19 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
OK, I have been pretty good at keeping a good HR and keeping to my training program.  I am really stoked that I have this group.  I backed off and I am feeling really good about my workouts.  I want everyone to know that this is so contagious that my girlfriend has now become a BT member and is beginning the couch to tri in 20 weeks.  We got to swim together today that was fun.  Anyways everyone seems to be very supportive and I am glad to be in the BEST group BT has. Cool

2011-01-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3284889

User image

Extreme Veteran
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-07 12:49 PM

01. 6:30 02. 6:30 03. 6:36 04. 6:30 05. 6:30 06. 6:30

Ugh.  Way to lose it on mile 3.  Those are ridiculously even splits.  Nice work!!!  On a scale of 1 to 10, what was the effort here (1 being almost asleep, 10 being "seeing jesus" as my XC coach used to say)

Drew 

It was a HARD effort but I did not get my heart rate too far into the red zone. I would say that it was a solid 9 for me. I have been working on pushing up my LT and I have had some success. My heart rate averaged 174 and peaked at 185. In the last race I did (7.45 miles) it averaged 178 and peaked at 190. The highest HR I have recorded was 200 last spring in an all out finish sprint in a 5k pump and run challenge - which I won by the way - 40 bench presses at 70% body weight and then a sub-20 5k (second place was a 14 year old girl).

I have another half this weekend but the weather looks like freezing rain - ON THE GULF COAST - I ran this half last year and it was 23 degrees.
2011-01-08 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Does anyone use the premium features on this site? 

I've never followed a structured triathlon training plan.  Lots of Hal Higdon running plans that I just threw in some swimming and biking on cross-training days - with no real structure to those workouts, other than just time.

I'm considering the Silver plan and using the 16 week Olympic - Run focused plan.  I'm 18 weeks away from an event that I finished DFL in my age group last year.  I'd like to return to the scene with a vengence this year (although they shorted the course a bit for this year.)

Then, I'm only 13 weeks away from the Half Tri I want to do, of which the Silver plan offers a 12 week bridge program to get me ready for that event.

With my crazy schedule of juggling the kids with my wife's scheduel, I think that Silver plan - from an organizational & guidance standpoint, might be very beneficial for me. 

Wondering if anyone uses them.

Thanks.

2011-01-08 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I used an altered ironman training plan two years ago. I thought it worth it.

I am a firm believer that if you have never followed a structured training plan then any plan is better than now. You will see improvement just from the consistancy.
2011-01-08 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Went to a swim clinic today. Really glad I went, it was so helpful to have someone really look at my stroke.  And it was great to get feedback on how to do the drills and such.  I go back in two weeks to see how I have improved.

The two things that stuck out with the leader of the clinic was that sometimes I cross the midline before the catch, and that when I am taking a breath, I tend to anchor the arm that is finishing the glide.  
2011-01-08 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3286758

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
mandsberry - 2011-01-08 11:49 AM

Does anyone use the premium features on this site? 

I've never followed a structured triathlon training plan.  Lots of Hal Higdon running plans that I just threw in some swimming and biking on cross-training days - with no real structure to those workouts, other than just time.

I'm considering the Silver plan and using the 16 week Olympic - Run focused plan.  I'm 18 weeks away from an event that I finished DFL in my age group last year.  I'd like to return to the scene with a vengence this year (although they shorted the course a bit for this year.)

Then, I'm only 13 weeks away from the Half Tri I want to do, of which the Silver plan offers a 12 week bridge program to get me ready for that event.

With my crazy schedule of juggling the kids with my wife's scheduel, I think that Silver plan - from an organizational & guidance standpoint, might be very beneficial for me. 

Wondering if anyone uses them.

Thanks.

I signed up for silver thinking I would use one of the plans, but I find they are geared to ramping up to an event instead of maintaining between events. I haven't looked at any in a few months since I've mainly been focusing on the FM coming up. I've been using one of Higdon's marathon plans with modifications, along with swimming and biking (several 2-a-days each week). After the marathon, maybe I'll take another look to see what's available.

I agree with the consistency part, though. Consistency is huge for getting better and more fit.

2011-01-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3287218

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Dixbry - 2011-01-08 4:48 PM Went to a swim clinic today. Really glad I went, it was so helpful to have someone really look at my stroke.  And it was great to get feedback on how to do the drills and such.  I go back in two weeks to see how I have improved.

The two things that stuck out with the leader of the clinic was that sometimes I cross the midline before the catch, and that when I am taking a breath, I tend to anchor the arm that is finishing the glide.  

Awesome, that's great! One of my swim flaws is crossing the midline during my pull when I breathe on my off-side. You'll find a lot of people cross at some point.  One thing you might notice by crossing before your pull is you will turn in the direction you are crossing in an OWS.

There are a lot of drills out there, and they really help a lot. One coach I'm friends with says to do more drills than actual swimming! I try to do a full hour of drills each week (usually in masters class when it's running) but otherwise I'm working on distance. For me, it's a confidence thing - I just haven't done enough OWS events to be confident I can finish in a decent time.

It's great to hear that you're working on the swim though. I find it one of the most rewarding workouts.
2011-01-08 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I just signed up to be a full member. I created a 3X balanced custom plan to train for my HIM.  I like it so far.  But I am just finishing up with my first week, so not much to give feedback on yet.
2011-01-08 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Up to this point I really have not worked on the drills, just the distance.  It was really hard for me to figure out how they are to be done.  I am a visual learner and reading the drills did not really help.  Now that I have actually felt how to do them and the proper form for them, I am super excited to add tons more drills to my swim workouts.  I also have some laminated drill cards to take with me to the pool now.

Edited by Dixbry 2011-01-08 8:16 PM
2011-01-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3283755

User image

Sunderland
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-07 12:40 AM
bendart - 2011-01-06 8:18 PM I joined my local YMCA this evening and did my first swim "workout".  This is the same Y that Grace (gcoller) goes to.  

that's cool.  Do you know each other yet?  Sounds like your first swim was pretty typical, actually better than a lot of the stories I've read around here from some first time swimmers!  Keep at it.

Yep.  Grace & I are good friends.  She turned me on to the idea of doing a triathlon and introduced me to BT.  

@bledsoepatriot - That's wicked cool that your girlfriend joined BT and started training.  

Yesterday I went for a 3 mile run after work (felt awesome) and went to the Y a couple hours later for a swim.  During my swim a girl hopped in the lane next to me and swam 20 or so laps.  Now I know what you guys mean about technique.  This girl knew what she was doing.  I think I have my work cut out for me but I'm totally up for the challenge.

I took today off.  We had a few inches of snowfall last night that made the sidewalks that I run messy and I'm a bit sore from swimming and running.  I decided to relax, do laundry, and clean my apartment.  I plan on getting a run in tomorrow.  The days are starting to get longer which is nice.  I'm looking forward to being able to bike after work.  I've been checking out the plans on BT and other sites.  I should have one picked out soon.    Thanks for all of your comments and recommendations.

-dart-out-

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24