Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-02-22 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3258408

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - CLOSED
....crickets....

Hey!  Looking for an update from everyone.  I actually ran outside on Sun for he first time since Thanksgiving and was completely stoked...then it snowed 12 inches and we're back to digging out and having to contemplate the dread mill for any running.

Had a great challenging cycling workout on the trainer yesterday.  My legs were not sore but a bit tired from Sunday's run.  The workout was a 20' warm-up followed by six 4' intervals at the speed I can maintain for 20 minutes straight.  The last interval is suposed to be a bit fatser and serves for your baseline for next week's similar workout.  That workout kicked my butt but I felt awesome when done.  It's great knowing that what you;re doing from a training perspective is paying off with increased power and endurance.

I hope everyone is finding ays to do the same and I would love to hear any questions or comments from the gang!

2011-02-23 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Training going well...  Right now I am on week 8 of a 20 week HIM plan and a little ahead of where I was this time last year.  This is the longest plan in 4 years I have ever done and have to admit that I am smelling burnout approaching.   I have been turning up the dial and might be time for a day or two off soon to recharge the batteries.   I am contemplating a 120 mile charity ride next month and longest I have gone is 70 so will see how it goes.  I just hope I can keep things interesting.   I am pretty sure my lungs and legs can hang, just hope my lower parts agree with rest of my body.
2011-02-25 2:09 AM

New user

still here.  husband & i are wrapping up week 2 of training tomorrow.  it's sad but i am just so out of shape.  i guess that's what 10 months of being pregnant and 12 months of having a baby will do to you if you let it... sigh...

the biking has come really easy to me.   the beginner plan has you ride 2 miles per biking session, but i've been riding 20 minutes instead and doing close to 4 easily.  i don't have my own bike, so i use the bike at the gym- my husband rides on his bike on a trainer.  once it's warm again, we're planning to move everything outside- my inlaws will start riding tandem again, so i'm hoping to use my mil's bike.  tried to ride on it today as our gym has weird daycare hours and i had no one to watch the baby.  total fail-  she's about my height, but the seat was too high for me and she couldn't adjust it.  i made it about 2 minutes.

swimming- has been tough, but getting easier.  had my best swim to date on wednesday.  the training requires 100 yard and a 50 yard cool down, which i'm doing fairly easily.  i'm not a great swimmer- my technique needs help- but i'm working on it and improving!!

running- still walking according to my training plan- this is the hardest part for me- walking?!?!  something i do every day.  we're walking a track and i don't know if i'm not warming up right, not stretching everything out- but i'm having a lot of pain in my ankles.  that just seems unusual to me!

our local park district just announced their yearly race, so i think we have something close to home.  it's in july, which coincides with when the couch to tri training ends...
2011-03-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3371799

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Wow, you have a lot on your plate.   Good to match expectations in triathlon with real life.  For me, some years have been more competitive than others.   Sometimes I refer back to just having fun and using training to destress just as much as get in shape.   Balance is important and coming back SLOWLY.    Nothing ignites frustration more than an injury right when you are excited to get back to training.   Great job in the pool!  Sounds like that is coming back quickly.   Nurse those ankles and dont rush yourself.   July is a long time away and you have the benefit of stretching out your comeback. 

Good luck.
2011-03-07 10:09 PM

User image

New user

Haven't posted an update in a few weeks...I've hit a couple major milestones on the swim development.

1) last week: completed my first non-stop 750m in the pool.  Turns out I had been breathing "too late" during freestyle.  Once I stumbled upon this, I was able to finish the 750m while alternating freestyle and breaststroke every 25m.

2) today: developed enough of a freestyle rhythm to do non-stop freestyle without having to alternate breaststroke.  Finished my second 750m sustained in 18m45sec (2.5 min/100m pace).  I feel like I'm "crawling", but at least I'm moving.

I've got until my first tri on April 23 to continue improving.

Bike: realized my saddle was too low and causing knee strain.  Riding felt much better today.  Still doing commute-only...probably won't add some distance until daylight savings time.

Run: started taking the runs outside, mostly by running to the pool and back (1.4 mi, major hill).  I find myself doing my historical average pace of 8 min/mi without the ability to pace myself on the treadmill.  Winter treadmill work got my joints used to the abuse of running.  Still aiming for 2 runs a week for now.

2011-03-20 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Sorry its been a while since I've logged in. Between my Masters classes and being injured, I haven't had much of an opportunity to get busy. I biked nearly 12 miles today for the first time in quite some time. I'm dog tired but it felt great! I'm going to drive over to the running track and see what two miles feels like. Back and right ankle, both previous injuries aren't helping much, but its time to push them again. More to follow and I hope everyone has been doing very well and accomplishing the goals you have set for yourselves.

2011-04-12 12:08 PM

User image

Master
< crickets >
2011-04-14 2:49 PM

User image

Master

Okay - I'll go first:

Training has been going relatively well.  Not swimming yet and haven't signed up for a tri yet but I'm okay with that.  I'm definitely doing the Dexter Ann Arbor Half Marathon on June 5th and am considering my first duathlon on May 21st. 

Cycling: I've been doing a pretty good job keeping up with the Jorge Cycling Winter Cycling Plan.  I am on week 13 and think I have only missed 3 out of 38 workouts so far.  I definitely feel stronger than when I started a number of weeks ago.

Running: My first year that I ran a half-marathon I had done a lot of cycling that season.  My other two half marathons I did not do much cycling.  Anecdotally, I am beginning to believe that cycling is a net positive influence on my running.  Don't know if its just additional strength in the legs, greater endurance, or the mental aspect of dealing with fatigue more frequently - but, lately while not having ramped up my running quite like I wanted, i certainly feel stronger even when tired.

Weight: I still can't figure out why my weight has goosed higher (158 prior to Thanksgiving - 167 today).  Yes, I know that some of it is beer, wine and holiday/winter grazing, but even with the ramp up in workouts the weight is not dropping.  I figure some is muscle but I have to admit to getting frustrated that the weight won't dissapear.  I am trying to really focus on eating smaller portions and healthier.  We'll see.  I would like to be below 160 by June 5th with no loss in leg strength.

2011-04-18 1:17 PM

User image

Master

Any updates from the weekend?

Mine felt great with an hour on the bike (2x20' at just shy of FTP) followd by a 3 mile run with my girls riding on their bikes.  Sunday I got up and braved the gusty winds and snow flurries to hammer out 8 miles.  Nice pace given the hard workout the day before.

Edited by dangremond 2011-04-18 1:31 PM
2011-04-24 8:43 PM

Dover Foxcroft

Hi all!!    Hope everyone is doing well!

Guess it's hard for us to get to the computer these days...

My first tri is in two weeks.  I feel great and look forward to it.  I have been indoor cycling, but will need to get on my bike before then!

Good night all!

Jess

2011-04-25 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3463632

User image

Master

Jess: Great to see you are keeping at it and good luck on your tri in a couple weeks.

2011-04-26 4:09 PM

User image

Master

I completed my last 20 min all out test for the Jorge Winter Cycling Plan today.  I didn't quite get the avg speed/watts I as desiring but still ended up with about a 15% improvement in avg watts over 20 min for the entire 15 week plan.  I think if I hadn't ran as hard as I did over the weekend along with a cycling workout on Sunday I might have been able to goose the watts a bit more.

On Saturday I will do the 3' all out test and then be able to see where my Critical Power or FTP comes out at. 

The next goal will be to go back to week 6 and keep working to improve cycling power while also running.

2011-04-28 1:02 AM

New user

sorry, i've been meaning to log in for a couple weeks now.  well, we are signed up for the triathlon, so there's definitely no turning back now...

this is supposed to be week 11, but i have been out of town the last 2 weeks.  i missed 3 days of workouts for week 9 and 4 days for week 10.  this week isn't doing so well either- i missed monday being out of town still, and then tonight we showed up to work out, and our gym's nursery was full... SO frustrating.  it's april 28th and it's still NOT warm enough to start moving these workouts outside.  very aggravating.  needless to say, i'm feeling a little defeated.  almost like i need to start all over with re-motivating myself!

as far as progress- we have worked our way up to the swim distance- and thanks to a brilliant idea i read on this board, i am alternating b\t freestyle & breaststroke every 50 yards, hopefully to work my way to eventually doing freestyle for the entire thing!  we have 10 weeks to go, i think i'll be ok.

cycling is going well.  i'm up to 8 miles in my training, but this is all on a stationary bike, as it has yet to be warm enough for me to get outside- not to mention i still need to buy shoes..

running.  i hate running.  10 weeks in and it's still hard as heck, and i'm alternating run/walk

i do have a ? that maybe someone can help me w\ or put their 2 cents in...  so i have been on this training plan now for 10 weeks and i haven't lost a single pound.  it's a little disheartening.  i had a baby a little over a year ago, and i have plenty of weight to lose- and i hate working out, so this was a HUGE step for me... and to not have lost a pound so far...  i'm a little sad.  any ideas?

melissa

2011-04-28 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3470488

User image

Master
maddawgpig - 2011-04-28 1:02 AM

i do have a ? that maybe someone can help me w\ or put their 2 cents in...  so i have been on this training plan now for 10 weeks and i haven't lost a single pound.  it's a little disheartening.  i had a baby a little over a year ago, and i have plenty of weight to lose- and i hate working out, so this was a HUGE step for me... and to not have lost a pound so far...  i'm a little sad.  any ideas?

Melissa:

(1) Great for perservering and keeping at it.  Everything will get easier with time.  I think you are taking the right approach on the swimming and running.  I sympathie with you on the weather.  I live in SE Michigan and this spring has sucked big time.  Cold and rainy almost every day it seems.  I'm just too tired of it to want to put up with it anymore.

(2) On the weight loss.  Its tough.  Last fall (before the holidays) I was approx. 5% lighter than I am today.  And the weight has been sticky to get rid of.  A lot of folks would suggest keeping a food log (easy to do on this site) for a week or two and see what you are eating, etc.  It can be easy to eat too much when you start working out more because the hunger spikes.  Handful of hints: drink only water (no diet, juices or sodas); no eating after 7:30pm unless you had a good evening workout; eat a small recovery snack within 45 minutes of a workout; eat more fiber (makes you feel full).  Also, I read yesterday (not verified yet) that drinking beer or wine with a meal slows your metabolism down...makes sense to me but bums me out cause I love my beer or wine with dinner!

2011-05-04 10:24 PM

User image

New user

People are back! First tri was on 23 April. Overall I did well. Swim was lousy, but that is normal for 1st tri/ows/wetsuit. 18m50s, avg for men was approx 15m. Bike was good, avg mph was 19.6. Run not bad as well given my lack of training emphasis, 7m17s pace. I was in top 30th percentile in men's times for bike and run. Bottom 10th for swim I'm really ready for my next races to improve my ows. Need to start more relaxed to keep breathing in check until I find a rhythm. 2 more sprints on 6/5 and 6/19.On swim development, I was doing the free/breast alternate thing two months ago. It comes with practice!
2011-06-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3464232

Dover Foxcroft
Thanks!!   Had a decent 1st tri of the season.  Need aerobars...   Next tri is this weekend, should be a fun one.  Finally got my new wetsuit so that'll be great to use! 

2011-06-07 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3470696

New user

thank you for the meal advice.  i have been tracking my calories and exercise and i have now lost 8 lbs!  yay! 

on the triathlon front- 4.5 weeks to go!  ai yi yi.  i don't know that i'm ready, but i'm certainly working hard.  week 16 of training.  finally got on an actual bike (not just a stationary) for the 1st time in 10 years maybe 3 weekends ago.  the weather in illinois finally seems to be cooperating, so i should be able to do my weekend rides this way from here on out.  i've got some definite fear on the bike- so i need to get over that real quick!

2011-07-07 9:30 PM

New user

hi guys!  my race is finally here- sunday!  i'm excited and nervous hoping that our training has all paid off!  we've been taking it pretty easy this week with our training.  a few things...

1.  any last minute tips for me? 

2.  does anyone ride/run with an ipod or am i asking for too much trouble? 

3.  good race morning breakfast.

another question- race numbers...  trying to figure out how they are assigned.  as i've said before this is the 1st triathlon for both me and my husband- neither of us are what i would consider super fast swimmers and very inexperienced... yet he was assigned #1 and i have #17... so how do they assign numbers.  at least we will be near the beginning and have lots of time to finish!!  i'm just prepared to be passed... a lot

thanks everyone!

2011-07-07 10:32 PM

New user

nevermind re: the race numbers... we just discovered what happened... we are idiots...  idiots...  good thing we have a sense of humor about this... oh gosh... we're in trouble
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6