BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-01-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Greetings from Poland to you all guys!
Real winter here, not like in Australia... I actually enjoy running when it's cold, for me anything warmer than -10c is comfortable. Biking is a different story though. Long rides are not happening, have to wait till I get back.
Have fun and happy training!

2011-01-18 7:54 AM

User image

Ernesto:
Do you know where to go to set up post notifications on email from the forum? 
Also, went to the doctor... foot doc thinks my knee pain is from IT Band Syndrome.  Chiropractor thinks its from bursitis in my hip. Hmmmm.  Starting pt next week.

Thanks

Jennifer 
2011-01-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3305811

User image

Master
Dallas
jrjoyce - 2011-01-18 7:47 AM Jackie:
I had the same problem when I joined my master swim group. I love breaststroke but we seem to do a lot of free.  We have worked on a lot of drill for body positioning.  The biggest thing is to make sure you are having your head in the correct position.  Not just looking down but keeping your head so that it feels like a string could be pulling you from the top of your head through the water.  Our coach TVO'd us and it was so clear to see what was happening with the head position.  If your head is not in alignment your hips will sink (making it soooooo much harder to swim and breathe).  Hope that helps.  It has really helped me.
You might practice the drills with fins on so you can really focus on positioning.

Jennifer 

Jackie,

As Jennifer points, swimming with fins will help you get the right feel because you’ll get 75% of the propulsion from your legs and you will not sink. Once you know what right feels like you’ll be able to do it eventually without the fins. Do not despair, swimming is the one thing where your patience is going to be tested until you get it. Think about a few sessions with a coach, it’s well worth the money.

E
2011-01-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3305627

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-18 12:34 AM Ernesto - just wondering how ou pick up your water/sport drink on the bike. Approximately how many aid stations are there? Do you come to a complete stop and get your bottles and then get going again? Or do you just slow down enough to grab a bottle and go?Thanks,Joan

There's one aid station every ten miles give or take, you will grab your bottle on the go so you will have to slow down (some volunteers are super cool and run along), or you may stop if you'd like but I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. There's also a bottle trashcan about 1/4 mile ahead of the aid station to throw your trash and they make it really fun, with a football arch, or a guy suspended that will fall if you hit bullseye. If you litter the course you will go to the penalty box and/or will be DQ'd.

Practice the bottle grab at home with someone.
2011-01-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3305816

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-01-18 7:50 AM Greetings from Poland to you all guys!
Real winter here, not like in Australia... I actually enjoy running when it's cold, for me anything warmer than -10c is comfortable. Biking is a different story though. Long rides are not happening, have to wait till I get back.
Have fun and happy training!

Mark,

Great to hear from you, man! Hey, at least you’re not getting pounded with the rain. Putting some good runs will keep your fitness level way up there so don’t worry about it. I’m running in the cold as well, but last week I had to put 80% of my workouts indoors (included running) and I missed my long ride because of the rain.

One little tip: warm up for two miles going very easy before engaging into a fast pace and warm down for at least one mile before you stop, remember that your muscles are tight from the cold environment. Also, you’ll feel like going much faster because your body is acclimated to the Australian heat, so a good warm up is crucial. Trust me, you don’t want a nagging injury 15 weeks away from your A race.

Stay warm,

Ernesto

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-18 9:54 AM
2011-01-18 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3305826

User image

Master
Dallas
jrjoyce - 2011-01-18 7:54 AM Ernesto:
Do you know where to go to set up post notifications on email from the forum? 
Also, went to the doctor... foot doc thinks my knee pain is from IT Band Syndrome.  Chiropractor thinks its from bursitis in my hip. Hmmmm.  Starting pt next week.

Thanks

Jennifer 

Jen,

Try shortening your stride and increasing the turnover, a metronome is the way to go and it’s very inexpensive. Less pounding=no injury. That’s how I’m able to put 35 miles of running in one week without a bit of pain. Keep your running cadence above 90SPM and you’ll improve, I’m sure. Still do your physical therapy, it’s always helpful. I don’t know how to set up email notifications, I’m still technology impaired.

I hope you get better,

Ernesto

2011-01-18 2:28 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
Hello Ernesto,
My name is Tyson, I live in Corpus Christi
I was hoping that there is still room in your group for one more? 
I started racing in 2010 and did a coupe of Sprints, a duathlon, half-mary, Conquer the Coast bike (68mi), and some 5k's.  My goals are just to stay fit and hopefully within a year complete an IM.
I plan on doing all my local sprints and have already signed up for my first Olympic in Austin; and maybe later this year do a HIM.  I would like to have someone in my corner especially when it comes to nutrition,rest.  I have been keeping pretty good logs and would like to see what you think. 
I chose you after looking back at your race logs, and that your in Texas. 
I work M-F 8-4 and have school M-W-TH 4:30-6:50.  I have access to pool and gym.
Sincerely,
T
2011-01-18 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3306945

User image

Master
Dallas
tizon - 2011-01-18 2:28 PM Hello Ernesto,
My name is Tyson, I live in Corpus Christi
I was hoping that there is still room in your group for one more? 
I started racing in 2010 and did a coupe of Sprints, a duathlon, half-mary, Conquer the Coast bike (68mi), and some 5k's.  My goals are just to stay fit and hopefully within a year complete an IM.
I plan on doing all my local sprints and have already signed up for my first Olympic in Austin; and maybe later this year do a HIM.  I would like to have someone in my corner especially when it comes to nutrition,rest.  I have been keeping pretty good logs and would like to see what you think. 
I chose you after looking back at your race logs, and that your in Texas. 
I work M-F 8-4 and have school M-W-TH 4:30-6:50.  I have access to pool and gym.
Sincerely,
T

Hi Tyson!
You're in, no problem. Casually. the company that I work for has the Refinery in Corpus. All your goals are perfectly doable, great!
I've raced Captex two years in a row, and I have mixed emotions about it but it's definetely a great first Olympic. By looking at your logs you are very concentrated on the bike, not so much on the run and next to nothing when it comes to the pool.
Maybe those two should be your area of focus. Start putting longer runs but at much less effort, so you build an aerobic engine. If you want me to explain this to you I can go into more detail.
The same principle applies to the swim, you need pool time and yardage to get good at it.

Ernesto
2011-01-18 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3305087

User image

Master
Dallas
Fer Cuevas - 2011-01-17 5:30 PM
evillarroel - 2011-01-16 6:46 PM
Fer Cuevas - 2011-01-16 2:03 PM Hello Ernesto, I hope I still can join It looks that I can learn a lot in it

I live in Mexico City, and I can run the 10K with no hassle, mi bike is good, currently I'm working on improve my swim

Thank You 

Bienvenido Fernando! There's a lot of triathletes in Mexico and actually the only person in the world that has completed every Ironman venue is from Distrito Federal, his name is Luis Alvarez and I know the guy, he's great, lots of fun. You can ask your questions in Spanish if you'd like, I speak it, read it and write it too (I was born in Argentina).
What's your 10K time? How many miles 9or kilometers) are you putting a week? How about the bike?

Hola nuevamente, se que hay bastante triatletas en Mexico, supongo que tendré que esperar mi primer competencia para conocerlos, estoy corriendo los 10 k en 52 minutos, corro al rededor de 40k en una buena semana, en la bici me siento bien, bastante estándar, pero el nado es mi talón de Aquiles por lo que le he puesto mayor atención, me inscribí en un masters y siento que voy progresando.

tengo el apoyo de mi buen amigo Boxer usuario de BT también.

Mi meta es hacer mínimo un par de olímpicos este año.

Gracias de antemano 

Estaba mirando tus carreras planeadas, vas a hacer St. Petersburg? Muy buena idea la de empezar un Masters program, los buenos habitos de nado son mejor adquiridos al principio, despues es dificil de quitarse los malos.
Entrenando a esa altura vas a andar bastante rapido a nivel del mar tambien.
Un saludo desde Dallas!
2011-01-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3307258

User image

Corpus Christi

Thanks! 
Your absolutely right, im going to start focusing on my run.  I have been surfing for 10years plus and have a pretty solid swim, but still need more yardage.  So, low intensity and longer milage. Got it.
T

2011-01-19 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR EVERYBODY:

I got an email from BT, they allow every user now to upload their Garmin workouts for free (you don't have to have a bronze, silver or gold membership anymore to do so).
I encourage you to start uploading your workouts, it will help me help you. Nothing speaks about effort and fitness better than heart rate and exerted effort perception (and its relation to speed or pace).
I also encourage you to establish your aerobic threshold by doing a little test that I will explain later (if you're interested) so you can establish where your "limit" is to keep it aerobic and go into the anaerobic threshold ONLY when you want to and controlled. Everybody's different and we're all at different levels of fitness, therefore no "prescribed" workout will get you better. I consider that educating ourselves and then setting up our own routine (based on data) is the best way to improve and enjoy.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: TRAIN SMARTER, NOT HARDER.

2011-01-19 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Joan, I love the way you're keeping your log updated. Way to go!!Smile
2011-01-21 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@ jennifer thanks for the swimming tips the other day
@ernesto thanks for the tip on the metronome and the swimming tips

Here's a link I found with running music categorized by spm 

http://k1chyd.adress.eksjo.com/steps-per-minute.htm

Hope you all enjoy.  I'm plugging along.

Jackie
Just Do It

Edited by jdiis 2011-01-21 10:48 PM
2011-01-21 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3314726

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-01-21 10:47 PM @ jennifer thanks for the swimming tips the other day
@ernesto thanks for the tip on the metronome and the swimming tips

Here's a link I found with running music categorized by spm 

http://k1chyd.adress.eksjo.com/steps-per-minute.htm

Hope you all enjoy.  I'm plugging along.

Jackie
Just Do It

Great stuff Jackie!! I guess I'm a headbanger, my running cadence is 95 (190SPM). The only music at that rate is Heavy Metal.

2011-01-22 1:18 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Hello Ernesto,

My name is Jaclyn and this is my first tri season.

How do I join your mentoring group? 
2011-01-22 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3314799

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - we're FULL
jaclynembry - 2011-01-22 1:18 AM Hello Ernesto,

Tell us about yourself, your goal race and maybe some about your life. You're in, Jaclyn.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-25 6:55 AM

2011-01-22 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3314899

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
evillarroel - 2011-01-22 5:28 AM
jaclynembry - 2011-01-22 1:18 AM Hello Ernesto,

Tell us about yourself, your goal race and maybe some about your life. You're in, Jaclyn.

Great! I am signed up / training for my first triathlon in March. It is a reverse sprint, 5k run, 15k bike, 150m swim.

I chose triathlon because I am in the Army National Guard and my physical fitness / running can definitely use some tuning up. I always have enjoyed cycling, and can swim fairly well, just need to work on the run.

I can looking forward to being actively involved in the triathlon community.

I am planning on doing at least 5-6 sprints this season, and maybe squeezing in a Olympic distance at the end of the season. 

Edited by jaclynembry 2011-01-22 12:39 PM
2011-01-23 11:50 AM

User image

Corpus Christi
Just ordered the Garmin Forerunner 305!!!  My Timex HRmonitor will be handed down to training partner.  Cant wait!!!
2011-01-23 7:33 PM

New user

Dallas

HI Ernesto. I would like to join your group. My name is Brennan, I live in the Dallas area and I have been doing Sprint Tri's since 2008.  My long term goal is to do an Iron Man. This year I plan to do Olympics and a 1/2 IM.  I'm 41, been married for 14 years and three kids. 14-12-10.  I have been doing fine making my own training routines, using BT routines and have trained with friends. But am looking for more direction. My swim training is at a local pool and at lake grapevine, but I could use better drills.

2011-01-23 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3316979

User image

Master
Dallas
BrenBeatty - 2011-01-23 7:33 PM

HI Ernesto. I would like to join your group. My name is Brennan, I live in the Dallas area and I have been doing Sprint Tri's since 2008.  My long term goal is to do an Iron Man. This year I plan to do Olympics and a 1/2 IM.  I'm 41, been married for 14 years and three kids. 14-12-10.  I have been doing fine making my own training routines, using BT routines and have trained with friends. But am looking for more direction. My swim training is at a local pool and at lake grapevine, but I could use better drills.

Welcome Brennan, I'm also in the Dallas area. We're pretty similar in ages (I'm 37) and also have a big family.
I looked at you log and your planned races, Q: are you doing the sprint or the half marathon in March? I saw they were both the same day (?). I have done Captex and Playtri Festival as well, so you can ask whatever you want about those races.
2011-01-24 9:29 AM

User image

Ernesto, 
If you've got room for one more I'd love to join your group.  I'm in the process of setting my goals for this coming season. I've completed 5 or 6 sprint triathlons over the last few years and am ready to move up to the next level.  I'd like to race in at least one Olympic distance triathlon this year.  I'm hoping that being a part of a group will help me with my motivation once the training gets tough.
Thanks,
Brian 

2011-01-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3317823

User image

Master
Dallas
brian1971 - 2011-01-24 9:29 AM Ernesto, 
If you've got room for one more I'd love to join your group.  I'm in the process of setting my goals for this coming season. I've completed 5 or 6 sprint triathlons over the last few years and am ready to move up to the next level.  I'd like to race in at least one Olympic distance triathlon this year.  I'm hoping that being a part of a group will help me with my motivation once the training gets tough.
Thanks,
Brian 

You're the last one in!!
The group is now closed.
2011-01-24 10:36 AM

Vancouver
Are you still accepting?
Have been going at it on my own and ready to have some additional suppot and input.
Plus I'm a dad of 5 kids (ALL GIRL) and need that time to lear my headSmile
2011-01-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3318014

User image

Master
Dallas
Pitch - 2011-01-24 10:36 AM Are you still accepting?
Have been going at it on my own and ready to have some additional suppot and input.
Plus I'm a dad of 5 kids (ALL GIRL) and need that time to lear my headSmile

Ok, very last one!!! hehe.

Tell me about you busy bee...
2011-01-24 4:10 PM

El Paso
Hi Ernesto,Had a good trainning weekend, I went for a long run un Saturday 10 miles, I wasent tired or with any pain at the end, but a couple of hours later I started to feel very out of breath and some muscle pain, I took a couple of asprin and had a nap, the next day I went for a 2 hr ride, also at the end I was feeling great, but in a couple of hours I started felling the same way as the day before. So, my question is in regards to our nutrition during and after training and a race, the trainig that I just mentioned are probably the lungest that I have done, in the run I only drink water after the first hour and only if I relly feel thirsty, I usually do the 10 mile in 1'30'', and in the bike ride I also take only water but at the end I only eat a small snack like a friut bar or grannola bar. This is because iin some articles they mentioned that you don't need to take anything during the first and a half hour,, what do you recomend for trainning nutrition, long and short sesions?PS, my bike rides are in a mountain bike and rough surface. Also I'm looking to invest in a used rode bike by middle of April, budget is around 800usd, in case sombody knows of a good deale or sale.. I don't want to buy over craigslist, reason pretty bad experience...Thank you
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25