of 12

2011-01-13 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

New user
Texas
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - FULL!
I SUCK.

I was supposed to go swimming today and I didn't.  Why the swim is so tough on me, I don't know.  Then I realize since I joined this group I ave done ZERO triathlon training.  It is a unusually cold week here in Texas and I don't belong to a gym... but I'm typically better.  I dropped in for an exercise class yesterday and I am so sore today that it hurt to get out of bed.  I convinced myself I would drown if I tried to swim today.  I know - EXCUSES.  I need to get motivated.  Maybe I'll run tonight

Marie

2011-01-13 7:19 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Marie, don't beat yourself up.  Just chalk it up to a bad day and move on.  Tomorrow is a new day and another opportunity to get out and do something.

I did my swim tonight but it was not too pretty.

2011-01-13 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3298085

User image

Madison-ish, WI
I feel your pain on the swimming Marie!

It is by far my weakest area right now and its hard to get motivation to do it, but every time it gets (if even just a touch) better.  This has been my first week of training in all 3 areas and my legs are definitely feeling it.  What gets me through the days of no motivation (besides Brent giving me a hard time if I try and get out of working out!) is just remembering how much better I feel afterward.  (and I am not talking physically....its more mental--no guilt and I feel so accomplished).

There are definitely days that it just "isn't working" for me, and I think the best thing to do is what dodgersmom said--just chalk it up to a bad day and move on.

Here's hoping your Friday is better--it is afterall a Friday!! Smile
2011-01-13 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Ugh - my day at work was awful and I didn't want to go swimming... but my friend Chris showed up and I felt guilty so I went.  I ended up having a really good swim - so that was good - but getting there was tough!!
2011-01-14 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy Friday everyone.

Another swim on the schedule for me today.  Usually I do not have 2 swims in a row, but I made some adjustments on the schedule this week to fit some things in. 

Friday's is my day to get out of the house and work somewhere else for a change of scenery.  I think I will head over to Pannera Bread at lunchtime.  Have a yummy salad and work there.  As long as the place has wifi I can work there.

2011-01-14 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Yay!! Friday is my "off" day - but I might do a run/walk on the treadmill since my BF and I are headed out for dinner and I'm reasonably sure I'll make bad choices. *laughing*

2011-01-14 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3297186

Done - still working on getting myself all set up on here...

On the training front, it is below freezing, and snowy out right now, so I've borrowed a trainer to build up my cycling base until the weather is nicer.  I had no idea how different it feels than riding on a road! 

My current plan is to continue with my normal swimming routine (3-4 times per week during lunch) while I begin with the cycling and walk/run program.
2011-01-14 9:39 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Happy Friday everyone!  

Tonight is a run/swim night and I have a feeling my legs are going to want to go slow (if at all).  I am determined however that I will get my 4 miles in one way or another   Hopefully since its a Friday night the pool will be nice and empty and I can take my time and continue to focus on my breathing.  I have been reading a lot of the articles on BT about beginner swimming and I hope to put some of that newfound knowlegde to good use!

Then, I just have one more day on the bike trainer tomorrow and Sunday is a rest day (and my only day off for the week)!

2011-01-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3299278

It might be worth spending a few bucks on one or two private swimming lessons through your local Parks & Recreation.  When I got to the point where I was planning to swim all the time, and wanted it to be "smoother" than I was doing so far, I signed up for a regular 2-week class, but when it got canceled, found out that they also did private lessons.  Best investment I could have possibly made in my swimming skills!

I also got a couple of books that helped me immensely, but will have to look up their titles later, if you're interested in checking them out. 

Lastly, there is a nice website, www.goswim.tv, which has really good videos on how to improve your swimming.

Margretta
2011-01-14 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Quiet here today.  Ended up not swimming as I was just not feeling great.  Not sick just tired and run down. 

Scott and I are going to ride tomorrow morning.  Then watch the Ravens beat up on the Steelers.

Then I will get my swim in later in the day.

2011-01-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3299329

User image

Madison-ish, WI
mdevries - 2011-01-14 9:58 AM It might be worth spending a few bucks on one or two private swimming lessons through your local Parks & Recreation.  When I got to the point where I was planning to swim all the time, and wanted it to be "smoother" than I was doing so far, I signed up for a regular 2-week class, but when it got canceled, found out that they also did private lessons.  Best investment I could have possibly made in my swimming skills!

I also got a couple of books that helped me immensely, but will have to look up their titles later, if you're interested in checking them out. 

Lastly, there is a nice website, www.goswim.tv, which has really good videos on how to improve your swimming.

Margretta

Margretta- I would be really interested in the books that you are talking about!   I know our Y offers a masters swim course (my fiance is in it right now) but it seems a little out of my league at the moment...but perhaps I will ask to see if they offer any private lessons.  I know once it "clicks" it will be worth it-I just need to get to that point!

I will also check out that website....thanks for the info!

Tonight I went in with the intention of running slow (and probably not my full 4 miles), but once I got on the treadmill I just kept pushing myself, saying I could quit at 2.5mi, then changed my mind to 3mi then I figured I might as well just run the full 4...and I did.  Now, I just need to hit the bike trainer tomorrow before work so that I can come home and have a nice relaxing night and a Sunday off!

Have a good weekend everybody!

2011-01-14 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3300686

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
dodgersmom - 2011-01-14 8:08 PM

Quiet here today.  Ended up not swimming as I was just not feeling great.  Not sick just tired and run down. 

Scott and I are going to ride tomorrow morning.  Then watch the Ravens beat up on the Steelers.

Then I will get my swim in later in the day.

I won't be watching the Ravens beat up the Stellers, rather the Steelers beating up the Ravens. Only because Steve and Marcy cheer for the Ravens.
2011-01-14 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Had a terrific long swim today. Scheduled an hour but if I hit 2200/yd first then I stop. My 100 splits were the best in some time. Not one over 2:12 (I've been doing some around 2:17 to 2:20, so  marked improvement).

2.5h cold and maybe wet ride planned for in the morning with Marcy.

Edited by smeador 2011-01-14 9:47 PM
2011-01-14 10:12 PM

User image

New user
Texas
A little disappointed in the horrible shape I let myself get to.  Got on the trainer for the first time and 20 minutes was a struggle  - ON THE TRAINER.  I know, baby steps. 

I as thinking earlier today about how I once loved running with my ipod.  After an incident at the local trail, the music stopped so that I could be aware of my surroundings.  I miss my music.  I miss it ALOT.  I just want to get lost in it.  So when I got on the trainer I thought.  PERFECT.. a great opportunity for me to use my ipod and listen to music.  I at lest enjoyed that

Have a great weekend!
2011-01-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3300702

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Emwilltri - 2011-01-14 8:19 PM
Margretta- I would be really interested in the books that you are talking about!   I know our Y offers a masters swim course (my fiance is in it right now) but it seems a little out of my league at the moment...but perhaps I will ask to see if they offer any private lessons.  I know once it "clicks" it will be worth it-I just need to get to that point!
!

Talk to the coach - many will offer one on one training at another time.  Or contact the coach of the age group team. 

It's important to get in touch with someone who "coaches" swimming as opposed to someone who "teaches swimming lessons".  You want to become more efficient because in triathlon the swim is the smallest portion and the easier that portion is - the better your race will go.  While swimming lessons are fine - they often aren't as knowledgeable in the fine mechanics of the stroke (which are so important).
2011-01-15 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3300863

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
mquevedo - 2011-01-14 10:12 PM A little disappointed in the horrible shape I let myself get to.  Got on the trainer for the first time and 20 minutes was a struggle  - ON THE TRAINER.  I know, baby steps. 

I as thinking earlier today about how I once loved running with my ipod.  After an incident at the local trail, the music stopped so that I could be aware of my surroundings.  I miss my music.  I miss it ALOT.  I just want to get lost in it.  So when I got on the trainer I thought.  PERFECT.. a great opportunity for me to use my ipod and listen to music.  I at lest enjoyed that

Have a great weekend!

Marie - enjoy the music!!! I love running to music - and when I ride I listen to Car Talk podcasts (from NPR).  I usually only run/ride with one ear in - so that I can still be aware of what's going on around me - but I love the motivation that music provides.  I have no trouble transitioning to racing without tunes - I enjoy the race day craziness!!

Don't worry - it will come... It's been a while and you're just getting back.  Don't beat yourself up - instead enjoy the changes that will come from being active again.

2011-01-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3301232

When I was signing up for lessons, the scheduler asked me what I wanted to accomplish, and was able to match me with an instructor who *was* knowledgeable in the fine mechanics of the strokes I was working on.  I realize that's not the same as training for a triathlon, but for the purposes of simply improving your stroke enough to feel more comfortable in the water, I think it is a good starting point.

Margretta
2011-01-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3300702

I purchased my books from local bookstore, and from www.swimoutlet.com:

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier, Revised & Updated, Terry Laughlin with John Delves, ISBN 978-0-7432-5343-7

The Essential Swimmer: A Guide to Technique and Training Improvements for Swimmers at All Levels, Steve Tarpinian, ISBN 978-1-55821-386-9

Fitness Swimming: 60 workouts for speed, endurance, and technique, 2nd ed., Emmett Hines, ISBN 978-0-7360-7457-5

The Swimming Drill Book: 128 Drills for Every Stroke, Turn, Start, and Finish, Ruben Guzman, ISBN 978-0-7360-6251-0

2011-01-15 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Missed having a riding partner this morning.
Started out on my ride and flatted out at 6mi. Had the tube and CO2 but not a nozzle. Waited for 30min for someome to come by that had a nozzle. Turned back since the other spare tubes were in the truck, but without a nozzle I didn't want to take another chance. So, did 12mi in 45mi. Next week!

2011-01-15 2:06 PM

Proud of my 6 mile run today but had a discouraging realization.... I have been only training at around 3:30 total for the past few weeks... in order for me to really make progress I feel like I need to double that. I feel so exhausted from work and then workouts plus balancing life and family. I thoughtni was doing well... I've got so far to go still. *sigh*
2011-01-15 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I flaked out on Scott this morning for our ride.  It was raining pretty good when I left the house so I did my ride on the trainer.  Thought 2:15 would be a real beatdown, but I watched Shutter Island on Netflix and it made the ride go really quickly.

Then, just when I convinced myself that I was going to miss my long swim this week, I got up, got my stuff and went to the pool.  I am so glad I did as I had one of my best swims EVER.  Was supposed to be 3000 but somehow miscounted and did an extra 50.  So 3050 in 1:01:11.  Average 2:00 a hundred.  Not sure where this came from, but I don't care!

1:40 run tomorrow.  I have Monday off for MLK day so I may move my long ride from Sat to Monday if the weather cooperates.

2011-01-16 9:40 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy Sunday all.  Rainy gray day here.  UGH.  Why is the weather taunting me.  Still plan on getting my long run in today = 1:40.  Hoping that later it clears up a bit.

2011-01-16 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3301598

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bikermanmo - 2011-01-15 2:06 PM Proud of my 6 mile run today but had a discouraging realization.... I have been only training at around 3:30 total for the past few weeks... in order for me to really make progress I feel like I need to double that. I feel so exhausted from work and then workouts plus balancing life and family. I thoughtni was doing well... I've got so far to go still. *sigh*

Don't beat yourself up - it's really early in the year.  Right now you're building the base for your training plan.  Don't get discouraged.
2011-01-16 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So I've made incredibly bad food choices this weekend. *sigh*  So I'm not feeling terribly thrilled about how I'm feeling.

I'm going to spin this morning inside.  It's REALLY cold out.  Then I'll probably run on the treadmill unless my sister texts and wants some company.  I could join her for part of her run.  She's a marathon runner and tends to run her long runs quite quickly....
2011-01-16 5:09 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hope everyone had a great Sunday!

Been quiet here this weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12