BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-04-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3271134

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Subject: RE: Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL

Ok, I have another question. My cycling coach says that we should be taking in nutrition such as a gel or chews along with liquid replacement every 20 minutes during cycling training. Some friends who are not competitors and don't train with professionals say this is too much. I took in gels every 20 minutes and drank my Clif Shot liquid (high sodium content - I'm a salty sweater) whenever I was thirsty and took in about 40 oz on the 17 mile bike ride (will get the times soon) and felt great during the Duathlon. I didn't bonk once like I do during training when I forget to take in nutrition every 20 minutes.

So what's the answer? How often should I be taking in nutrition and liquid during a bike ride? We're in hilly country and it's definitely not easy riding out here.

2011-04-18 2:22 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan

What a weekend everyone had,   Good job to you all!

I was a bum all weekend, but feeling better this afternoon, Monday is my fencing night and that (bringing the pain) always cheers me up....lol

I just went to my local good will store to burn alittle time at the end of my work day.

I picked up  under armor shorts and shirt and my 1st reflective running shirt!  $11.00

I think I'm going to make that a monthly trip.

2011-04-18 3:00 PM

I'm curious about nutrition as well. I always avoid anything except water because I don't think I do 'enough' to warrant them. Plus I want to burn all the calories I can and not drink them back. I'm curious to hear what other people do!!

I'm having motivation issues. My goal this week is to really stick to the healthy eating in addition to working out. I just don't know if I can do both. There is a reason I haven't lost weight yet! It's just so easy to eat yummy, awful food. How do you guys do it?? What keeps you from choosing the bacon, or grilled cheese, or popcorn, or whatever else isn't fruit, veggies and lean protein??

Edited by Jessikakissling 2011-04-18 4:14 PM
2011-04-18 5:21 PM

Good news- got my bike, LOVE IT!

Bad news- can't ride because my RA is really acting up right now. A bit worse than usual, I try not to get too stressed about not being able to train, knowing that this will pass and I will be able to train.

Hope everyone stays on track this week!

Yolanda

2011-04-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3453069

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-04-18 3:15 PM

Ok, I have another question. My cycling coach says that we should be taking in nutrition such as a gel or chews along with liquid replacement every 20 minutes during cycling training. Some friends who are not competitors and don't train with professionals say this is too much. I took in gels every 20 minutes and drank my Clif Shot liquid (high sodium content - I'm a salty sweater) whenever I was thirsty and took in about 40 oz on the 17 mile bike ride (will get the times soon) and felt great during the Duathlon. I didn't bonk once like I do during training when I forget to take in nutrition every 20 minutes.

So what's the answer? How often should I be taking in nutrition and liquid during a bike ride? We're in hilly country and it's definitely not easy riding out here.

Personally, I agree with your cycling friends.  That amount will give me a stomach ache!!!  I especially don't recommend taking a gel with Clif Shots or another liquid with lots of carbs because you will get more than your stomach can digest in the short period of time.  Be careful with your liquids - they can have a lot of calories and carbs that can be tough to process.

2011-04-18 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3453181

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Jessikakissling - 2011-04-18 4:00 PM

I'm curious about nutrition as well. I always avoid anything except water because I don't think I do 'enough' to warrant them. Plus I want to burn all the calories I can and not drink them back. I'm curious to hear what other people do!!

Splitting my responses to this up.  I don't really take in more calories if I am working out less than an hour.  I just use water because I'm not really burning enough to need to replace.  After about an hour, I will usually use gels OR gatorade, but I don't typically use both.  That's my preference because I have a sensitive stomach and more carbs than that tend to aggravate my GI system.

2011-04-18 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3453181

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Jessikakissling - 2011-04-18 4:00 PM

I'm having motivation issues. My goal this week is to really stick to the healthy eating in addition to working out. I just don't know if I can do both. There is a reason I haven't lost weight yet! It's just so easy to eat yummy, awful food. How do you guys do it?? What keeps you from choosing the bacon, or grilled cheese, or popcorn, or whatever else isn't fruit, veggies and lean protein??

What keeps me from choosing all that...the mirror? 

Seriously, I log my calories daily.  It's *very* easy to eat too much when you start off training because you feel more hungry.  The advantage to eating veggies, fruit, and lean protein means that you get to eat more and you'll feel fuller.

I've also had good success eating several smaller meals throughout the day rather than eating just breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I try to eat some carbs and protein at each one.  Sometimes, it's a container of greek yogurt.  Another snack might be carrot sticks and hummus.  I'm allergic to nuts, but apples and peanut butter would also be a great snack.

2011-04-18 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3453476

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
yolandamcp - 2011-04-18 6:21 PM

Bad news- can't ride because my RA is really acting up right now. A bit worse than usual, I try not to get too stressed about not being able to train, knowing that this will pass and I will be able to train.

Yolanda

Congratulations on the new bike!!

I hope that your RA calms down soon so that you can get back to riding.

Edited by Artemis 2011-04-18 7:19 PM
2011-04-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3453476

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
yolandamcp - 2011-04-18 5:21 PM

Yolanda

I'm so sorry to hear you have RA. It can be awful and inflame at terrible times. How are you managing through the season change?

2011-04-18 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Artemis, thanks for the answer on the nutrition. The day I cycled 32 miles I was craving water so badly after taking in so much Clif Shot Electrolyte and gels. I couldn't even swallow any more electrolyte replacement, it was so thick!

I'm going to taper down to gels every 30 minutes and drink when thirsty and see how that goes before going any further. Maybe my coach is just too fast and needs that sort of replacement.

Tonight I swam 1400 yards and felt great despite the iron legs I had at the beginning. Eventually I was able to swim the ladder and get up to 400 yards without stopping. I feel so good in the pool. Now to get that way in the OWS.

2011-04-18 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3450664

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
Keep Up the Great Work

2011-04-18 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3453852

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

goofee girl

I too am a heavy sweater. I usually plan on 1 20 oz bottle for every 45-60 mins of riding.  So for a double spin class in the AM I take 2 bottles and usually drink 1 1/2 during class and finish the rest on the way home.  Temperature has a lot to play in hydration too.  Right now, when I ride outside I consume a lot less then I will during July/August.  Pre-workout hydration is just as important as hydrating during.

As for gels and energy shots, I use then during races, but rarely during training.  I will bring some along in case I stay out longer than planned or if I start to bonk.  I would recommend trying gels once or twice before a race to make sure you like the flavor and that they agree with you.  Nothing worse than having a good race and running into a gel that tastes bad or make you sick to your stomach.  I also prefer to use a gel flask.  This way I can take in as much or as little as I like.  Sometimes you need just a little taste and other times you need more than just 1 gel pack.

Just my input.  Hope it helps.

Edited by Monsterman96 2011-04-18 10:04 PM
2011-04-19 1:14 AM

User image

I'm a little (read completely) nervous that I cannot swim the 600 meters required of me by June 26.  I simply cannot do it.  Am I crazy to even try? I cannot swim that many laps, I can barely swim a down and back! I mean, I'm okay once I get going, but it is just so hard.  I really do not link I can do 12 down and backs in a front crawl without stopping.  What am I going to do?  Should I just keep going to the pool every day from now until then?

My strategy so far has been to take lessons twice a week (check and check) and then try to get one lap day in (I've done one, last week).  It is troubling because she wants to teach us other things and has us hanging around a lot and I get antsy to JUST FRONT CRAWL.  I can't get enough of it.  She said my stroke looks really good, but I need to relax.  Do I just need hours in the pool?  Should I snag a pull bouy between my legs and just drag myself up and down?  Flippers? Give up?

I'm feeling comfortable, I feel good with my face down in the water, hanging out in the long glide moment, trying to be rhythmic, breathing both sides, but it takes A LOT of work to maintain that series of strokes for 5 or 10 cycles.  Then I get out of sync and have to pop up or end at the wall and have to catch my breath.  I try to throw myself right back down the lane (no resting for those who have to learn to swim) and go back at it.  I feel fine flipping onto my back, but I really want to front crawl the whole way.

I think I need to be doing the swim a lot more.  Running and biking are easy peasy.  

What say you all?

2011-04-19 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3454028

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Katiepony - 2011-04-19 2:14 AM

I'm a little (read completely) nervous that I cannot swim the 600 meters required of me by June 26.  I simply cannot do it.  Am I crazy to even try? I cannot swim that many laps, I can barely swim a down and back! I mean, I'm okay once I get going, but it is just so hard.  I really do not link I can do 12 down and backs in a front crawl without stopping.  What am I going to do?  Should I just keep going to the pool every day from now until then?

My strategy so far has been to take lessons twice a week (check and check) and then try to get one lap day in (I've done one, last week).  It is troubling because she wants to teach us other things and has us hanging around a lot and I get antsy to JUST FRONT CRAWL.  I can't get enough of it.  She said my stroke looks really good, but I need to relax.  Do I just need hours in the pool?  Should I snag a pull bouy between my legs and just drag myself up and down?  Flippers? Give up?

I'm feeling comfortable, I feel good with my face down in the water, hanging out in the long glide moment, trying to be rhythmic, breathing both sides, but it takes A LOT of work to maintain that series of strokes for 5 or 10 cycles.  Then I get out of sync and have to pop up or end at the wall and have to catch my breath.  I try to throw myself right back down the lane (no resting for those who have to learn to swim) and go back at it.  I feel fine flipping onto my back, but I really want to front crawl the whole way.

I think I need to be doing the swim a lot more.  Running and biking are easy peasy.  

What say you all?

First of all, is your tri in a pool or open water?  That's going to change my answer as to whether you try or not.

Second, I would definitely not start using a pull buoy or flippers.  You don't want to become dependent on them right now and I'd worry that's what is going to happen if you use it regularly.

Third, as I'm understanding it, you are only breathing every 5 strokes?  That's probably not often enough.

2011-04-19 12:28 PM

User image

Subject: To riff off of Apple, "You can't not try..."

Artemis: I guess I don't really want to know the answer yet.  :-)  It is an OWS.  I think I just have to start training five days a week and see where I am in a month.  I can ALWAYS say "NO" up to and including the moment I stand in the water, but if say no now, I won't know if I could do it or not.  I'm a very confident backstroker and have excellent water treading abilities, so I have no unreasonable fear of OW.

To clarify, I breathe every second or third time my arm of choice comes up, depending on what I'm trying to do.  I meant that I can get across the pool in 5 - 10  breath/stroke cycles.

Roger that on not using pull bouy as crutch.  I'll just get to the pool every morning and go from there...

Thanks for the support and advice.  Durn, this is hard...

Edited by Katiepony 2011-04-19 12:30 PM
2011-04-19 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3453914

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Monsterman96 - 2011-04-18 10:01 PM

goofee girl

I too am a heavy sweater. I usually plan on 1 20 oz bottle for every 45-60 mins of riding.  So for a double spin class in the AM I take 2 bottles and usually drink 1 1/2 during class and finish the rest on the way home.  Temperature has a lot to play in hydration too.  Right now, when I ride outside I consume a lot less then I will during July/August.  Pre-workout hydration is just as important as hydrating during.

As for gels and energy shots, I use then during races, but rarely during training.  I will bring some along in case I stay out longer than planned or if I start to bonk.  I would recommend trying gels once or twice before a race to make sure you like the flavor and that they agree with you.  Nothing worse than having a good race and running into a gel that tastes bad or make you sick to your stomach.  I also prefer to use a gel flask.  This way I can take in as much or as little as I like.  Sometimes you need just a little taste and other times you need more than just 1 gel pack.

Just my input.  Hope it helps.

Thanks for the comments. It's pretty hot here (for me) in the 70s-80s during training now and I drink through about 4 -24 oz bottles on a 32 mile ride. Note that I'm extremely slow, so my hours are longer than most. But I drink Clif Shot Electrolyte throughout whenever I'm thirsty and after an uphill most times. There are lots of uphills here. Heh.

I agree that trying out the gels beforehand is important. I don't like certain textures or flavors. My best are the Accelerade gels. They have the best texture and taste, but fewer carbs. Gu is too thick for me. Hammer is a good balance. Clif Shot is absolutely terrible and I'll just use that at the gym. I've got some chews that I want to try out and see how they work.

Gosh, I'm heading towards using mostly the Clif Shot Electrolyte liquid and maybe every 30 minutes or so a gel. Then I'll switch with water and shots and liquid and fewer shots.

Right now I just want to finish my Oly!

2011-04-19 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

I'm losing my motivation!

I see many things that are contributing to my lack of motivation. First and foremost is the weather. It has either been snowing or raining or just down right cold. I don't have the luxury of deciding when to get out and run. It has to be in the morning (due to work). I haven't been able to bike in months because some a$$ stole my bike (but a fellow co-worker is giving me a mountain bike for free next week). I am unable to afford a membership for a gym, so I do most of my exercising at home (my work is opening a gym up for employees within the next 2 months - free).

My last motivational problem has to do with training alone. While I don't mind it too much, there are times when I feel the need to be pushed. This being a small town, there is no tri club. The people I have run into that run or bike seem so full of themselves and their accomplishments.

I guess I just needed to vent. I know what I need to do. I know the world of tri isn't easy. I just feel like it's slow going and my first tri is going to be here before I know it.

2011-04-19 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

I was wondering, Is there any good tri books I should read?

I'm not too concerned about triathlon stories. More on the training aspect. Something that is an all around book for training.

2011-04-20 4:43 AM
in reply to: #3455648

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Cagolddigger - 2011-04-19 7:58 PM

I see many things that are contributing to my lack of motivation. First and foremost is the weather. It has either been snowing or raining or just down right cold. I don't have the luxury of deciding when to get out and run. It has to be in the morning (due to work). I haven't been able to bike in months because some a$$ stole my bike (but a fellow co-worker is giving me a mountain bike for free next week). I am unable to afford a membership for a gym, so I do most of my exercising at home (my work is opening a gym up for employees within the next 2 months - free).

My last motivational problem has to do with training alone. While I don't mind it too much, there are times when I feel the need to be pushed. This being a small town, there is no tri club. The people I have run into that run or bike seem so full of themselves and their accomplishments.

I guess I just needed to vent. I know what I need to do. I know the world of tri isn't easy. I just feel like it's slow going and my first tri is going to be here before I know it.

Wow. With all that I'd be just as frustrated! When does the weather change for you? I have friends in CO who still have snow, so I know you're still in winter. I can see that you're up against some heavy obstacles.

The good news is that the weather will change at some point. Hang in there for that. Your office will soon have a gym. No matter how small it will be you will have some options for working out there. Until then, can you work out to dvds at home that will help you build up strength?

As for not having a training partner... well, maybe an ad in Craigslist? You might be surprised and find someone there. I'm sorry to hear that the athletes in your area aren't supportive because it makes a huge difference when people here are so kind to me as a beginner and a fat girl. How far are you from a larger city with a tri club? Have you considered Team In Training? Just go to their website and put your zip code in and see what comes up. That's what I do and have come a long way in my training. I couldn't have done it on my own.

I know you came to vent and that's a great thing! Sorry for all the suggestions. I don't want to come across as pushy, just helpful. Vent away as much as you want. I vented earlier on about how I'm discriminated by some of the coaches and mentors because I'm fat. It feels really good to get it out.

We may be newbies here, but we're here to support you through your trials and successes!

Edited by goofee girl 2011-04-20 4:44 AM
2011-04-20 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3455648

I'll send you some motivational thoughts!! 

I'm getting frustrated because I can only bike outside on the weekends, and it looks like it will rain again this weekend   I'm also beginning to wonder if the bike I haven't doesn't fit correctly.  I bought it used (money is scarce, even when I bought it a few years ago) from a bike shop who told me it fit 'great'.  But I really think my reach to the handlebars is too far.  (sigh)  there is just no way I could get a new bike, or even take it to a shop to see if maybe a new handlebar holder thing, I don't know what its called... the thing that comes up from the frame... would fit better.

I'm also beginning to get worried that I won't finish this race in June.  I realize I have 2 months (its june 26th), but I'm just worried.  I still haven't lost weight, and can't imagine biking 15 miles and then running 3 in front of other people.  I keep trying to tell myself I did this before after a similar training schedule several years ago and I can do it again. 

gonna keep doing the training, hope I can get outside and bike for real.
-Jess

2011-04-20 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Thanks Goofee Girl & Jessika.

I was just having one of those days. I think I've had it with winter and I'm just wishing for sunshine. You get tired of working your butt off day in and day out and when you want to better yourself you don't have the money to do it. Blah, blah, blah... you know the story.

Anyway, you ladies hang in there. I'm sure your family is proud of you and everyone here is too.

2011-04-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3455944

New user

Alameda, CA

How do you like your TNT program? Does the training group cost money to join or are you just responsible for raising money..or.....how does it work?

Looking into joining the SF Bay Area chapter.

It's close (-ish) to S. Lake Tahoe! 

2011-04-20 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3456194

New user

Alameda, CA
Jessikakissling - 2011-04-20 6:36 AM

I'll send you some motivational thoughts!! 

I'm getting frustrated because I can only bike outside on the weekends, and it looks like it will rain again this weekend   I'm also beginning to wonder if the bike I haven't doesn't fit correctly.  I bought it used (money is scarce, even when I bought it a few years ago) from a bike shop who told me it fit 'great'.  But I really think my reach to the handlebars is too far.  (sigh)  there is just no way I could get a new bike, or even take it to a shop to see if maybe a new handlebar holder thing, I don't know what its called... the thing that comes up from the frame... would fit better.

I'm also beginning to get worried that I won't finish this race in June.  I realize I have 2 months (its june 26th), but I'm just worried.  I still haven't lost weight, and can't imagine biking 15 miles and then running 3 in front of other people.  I keep trying to tell myself I did this before after a similar training schedule several years ago and I can do it again. 

gonna keep doing the training, hope I can get outside and bike for real.
-Jess

I just learned that most bike seats can actually be moved forward by simple adjustment, so you might want to see if a local shop can help you with that..... have the seat post hit farther back on the bottom of the saddle so that you are moved forward some....

2011-04-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3457553

[ I just learned that most bike seats can actually be moved forward by simple adjustment, so you might want to see if a local shop can help you with that..... have the seat post hit farther back on the bottom of the saddle so that you are moved forward some.... ]

I thought about trying that, but then I was concerned my knee wouldn't be in the right spot above the pedal.  Hmmm.. Maybe I'll play with it a bunch. Someone also suggested I try lowering the seat, but with that I was concerned about how my leg was bent. I really know NOTHING about bikes.  Growing up I just would bike around the neighborhood on my mountain bike or go on trails.  I just wish I knew someone who worked at a bike shop who could fix me up, guess I need to make some new friends! 

I just ordered 2 spinervals DVDs online, hopefully my bike workouts in the morning will become more meaningful.  I had to convince my husband to let me spend the money, so I hope it was worth it. 

2011-04-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3457552

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
mmw329 - 2011-04-20 6:33 PM

How do you like your TNT program? Does the training group cost money to join or are you just responsible for raising money..or.....how does it work?

Looking into joining the SF Bay Area chapter.

It's close (-ish) to S. Lake Tahoe! 

Have to say that overall the TNT program is awesome! With the exception of one coach and one mentor, I have support, excellent experience behind me, and one on one training at times. I have made good friends through the program and really enjoy the support of my team members... they're so great! The two Tri coaches that are good to me talk to me, email me, and basically give me good guidance and support throughout the training. The third is a self-centered high schooler (despite being 37) who wants to be in with the cool kids. He doesn't talk to me in front of the "cool crowd" most likely because I'm fat and not fast at what I do. He never gives me support and doesn't give any helpful advice. You just never know what you're going to get. But my last event, a HM, was fantastic with terrific coaches, mentors, and teammates. No attitudes. I'm just being honest here. Nothing in life is going to be perfect, remember.

As for membership, there are no dues or fees, but you do raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The minimums are different for each event. Each season you get an honored hero... someone undergoing treatment typically and get to meet them. The best part is that I'm doing good for someone else (raising money for blood cancer research) while improving my health and endurance. It's win win! Honestly, the first time I tried to raise money for the HM, people were throwing money at me... the second time I had to get more creative. I can't imagine what the third time will be like!!!

On the whole, I highly recommend TNT. It's training like you won't get anywhere else and it's so easy to get up early in the morning to train when you know others will be there, you have friends ready to join you, and you're doing it for a good cause.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22