of 14

2011-05-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED
Hi everybody

Just a quick one from me now. I had a long busy day but also quite interesting, I will fill you in tomorrow.
The BIG news is that YES the snow is gone   But not only that today was was warmest so far this YEAR !!!!!! And I just came back from a late evening brick running in shorts for the first time this year. I was done training at 10:30pm a bit late but it was still not dark

The Germany thing is on Sunday and I am starting to feel pretty good.  Todays swim and run went very good, my only concern is the bike, I should be in good bike form but when you have not really biked outside it is hard to tell. I do have a 20km TT wednesday evening, if that goes good then I should do very good in the Tri

This is such a nice group I can feel all the good vibrations reading your posts
You are all doing so great, and you are inspiring me, so thanks everybody for joining my our group, you are awesome

2011-05-02 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Niezels: 100km, nice, 2 flats, not so much... Reading this really reminds me I need to get down to the Giant bike shop for my lesson on changing a flat.  I know the basics, but would like to try a couple times with supervision before I have to do it on the road some time... Also, I suppose in order to do that I'll need to buy all the equipment to do it as well...

Joel: 10km, 62:20.... Nicely done.  That's a very respectable time.  Too bad about the bathroom break, but just think how much easier it will be to PR the next 10km race.

Mesteren:  Good luck on Sunday!!!

2011-05-03 5:12 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Ok, here is the mashhead as promised

Direct link to the group thread and all the members

MESTERENS MENTOR GROUP

calluna

chris316

cvochristi

DuncanQH

HollyW

joel.blair

lashart

Mesteren

monicasanchez0910

nickih

Niezels

rtakahashi

I have not included jrlong, since he has not been online for almost a month, I am guess he already dropped out. Well that is his lost, with us he could have achieved greatness !

Please let me know if any of the links dont work, or goes to the wrong person.

Edited by Mesteren 2011-05-03 11:44 AM
2011-05-03 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3476353

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
chris316 - 2011-05-01 11:35 PM Hi, went to watch my first tri today looked good, did 16k cycle when I got back and 5k run later on,Could've done more but wanted to watch the football,another prob I could do with some help on is breathing, I thought it was a chest infection as a few family and friends have had the same symptoms, there seems to be a bug going round here ive been the doctors 3 times and he's gave me antibiotics but didn't really help, now he seems to think it could be asthma he gave me something called predisolone which helped straight away, any insight into this?Can we put up what we've done on runkeeper,micoach etc?

I have never heard of predisilone, so I can not help you, but if it helped the doc probably got it right this time

Dont you want to blog your workouts here on BT ?
On top hit the "Training log" bottom, that take you to your our blog page,

Tue, May 3 2011

Hit the training link, and you will be able to put all you workouts in pretty easy.
Since you lift a lot I would just use the comment field to list what you did, that is so much faster.

I would recommend that always add a few comments about how it went and how you felt on the day, like good/tired/unmotivated/I can lift the world today !
The most important thing is that you should be able to understand what you meant when you look at it a year. Comments are for your own benefit nobody else. Although we would like to know how you are doing

2011-05-04 8:47 AM

User image

Dayton OH

My legs are recovering well after my first 10k and I am getting more and more confident in my running and biking legs of my first tri in july. Thanks to duncan, neizels, rebecca and of course menstren for all the congrats i got for the race.

Here is the thing. I am the world's worst swimmer. I am taking this swim class and have gone from swimming like a rock to finally able to have a freestyle stroke. Now that I have some decent form on my stroke and a good rhythm. I don't drink pool water anymore (i guess all those things are progress right?) I can't really swim more than 25 yards without stopping and catching my breath.

what gives?

2011-05-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3481348

User image

Veteran
Alaska
I was there not too long ago, Joel. You'll find that as your form improves you work less for the stroke, which will help a lot. Make sure you're still concentrating on a smooth/efficient stroke rather than speed. Also...bike and run fitness don't translate one-to-one with swim fitness, so the distance with swimming is just going to take time. You'll find that it comes pretty quickly after this point if you're consistent with your swim workouts.

2011-05-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3481473

Joel swimming is a game of technique. It seems you got that figured out. The next thing to do is to get your breathing right. I breath every third stroke but figure out what works best for you. Remember you can breath out under water. I used not do that and it made swimming hell. Also the major thing is to relax if you start to swing your arms and legs like a mad men thats not doing you any favours and wastes tons of energy and your not gonna go any faster. So practice your technique and get your breathing right....and youll be cruising no time. Remember dont panic, keep a cool head get your stroke right and youll get there. Good luck :>
2011-05-04 3:27 PM

New user

San Juan
Hi everyone! Well, I just did my first SPRINT triathlon yesterday morning and finished (actually alive)! The week before, I had a very bad chest congestion and had the very stupid idea of training a last time for the 5k run on the same route of the race which they had changed at the very last minute. Ended up with a huge open sore on the bottom of my left foot which stung a hell. Rested on Friday and Saturday for race day. Got very anxious since the day before when we had to pick up our chip, number, etc. Woke up at 4am on the day of the race and got warmed up in the ocean before beginning. This ended up being a great idea to get a feel of the movement of the ocean (I practice swim in an olympic pool) as well as the temperature of the water (besides warming you up for the competition). There were about 700 people swimming at the same time (waves were only one minute apart so it got very crowdes). To avoid getting kicked I swam parallel to the crowd. This resulted in having to swim a bit more than the rest but at peace an at ease. The transition to the bike was a half-mile run which took longer than expected because I was so dizzy coming out of the water. Another thing that I will try next time in order to save time in the transitions is to invest in a trisuit. I wore a one piece sports bathing suit with bike shorts on top which I had to pry myself into before getting on the bike. The skin is so wet that it makes it hard to put on while balancing yourself. The bike race wa good except we had a lot of rain and therefore a lot of accidents. I managed to survive and did a decent time of 50mins for a 20k run on a mountain bike with a head wind! So I was happy with that. The 5k run was a bit more challeging. I had to change bandages for my foot and manage the tiredness of the first two parts of the race. What really helped for this part was drinking an entire 21oz bottle of Gatorade before finishing the bike race and swallowing a gel pack (Gu gel endurance packets). That was probably the hardest part of the race, battling with your mind on whether or not you're gonna make it. By this point the rain was so heavy that we mostly ran on puddles, making our shoes weight a lot and the visibility was also poor. However I ddi end up finishing the whole thing in 1:58mins including the transitions which placed be in about the mid section of my category, which us not so bad for my first try. Will aim for a better time on the next one which will be on June 12.
2011-05-04 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi Joel

The ladies already said it, technician and relax !
We all started by only doing 25m and then having a break. Next step is to do 50 and then 100m. It is coming, the more time you spend in the pool the more confident you get and it is time well spend

So just keep at it
2011-05-04 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3482246

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
monicasanchez0910 - 2011-05-04 8:27 PM Hi everyone! Well, I just did my first SPRINT triathlon yesterday morning and finished (actually alive)! The week before, I had a very bad chest congestion and had the very stupid idea of training a last time for the 5k run on the same route of the race which they had changed at the very last minute. Ended up with a huge open sore on the bottom of my left foot which stung a hell. Rested on Friday and Saturday for race day. Got very anxious since the day before when we had to pick up our chip, number, etc. Woke up at 4am on the day of the race and got warmed up in the ocean before beginning. This ended up being a great idea to get a feel of the movement of the ocean (I practice swim in an olympic pool) as well as the temperature of the water (besides warming you up for the competition). There were about 700 people swimming at the same time (waves were only one minute apart so it got very crowdes). To avoid getting kicked I swam parallel to the crowd. This resulted in having to swim a bit more than the rest but at peace an at ease. The transition to the bike was a half-mile run which took longer than expected because I was so dizzy coming out of the water. Another thing that I will try next time in order to save time in the transitions is to invest in a trisuit. I wore a one piece sports bathing suit with bike shorts on top which I had to pry myself into before getting on the bike. The skin is so wet that it makes it hard to put on while balancing yourself. The bike race wa good except we had a lot of rain and therefore a lot of accidents. I managed to survive and did a decent time of 50mins for a 20k run on a mountain bike with a head wind! So I was happy with that. The 5k run was a bit more challeging. I had to change bandages for my foot and manage the tiredness of the first two parts of the race. What really helped for this part was drinking an entire 21oz bottle of Gatorade before finishing the bike race and swallowing a gel pack (Gu gel endurance packets). That was probably the hardest part of the race, battling with your mind on whether or not you're gonna make it. By this point the rain was so heavy that we mostly ran on puddles, making our shoes weight a lot and the visibility was also poor. However I ddi end up finishing the whole thing in 1:58mins including the transitions which placed be in about the mid section of my category, which us not so bad for my first try. Will aim for a better time on the next one which will be on June 12.

Congratulations !!!!!

Great job, you did absolutely fantastic Especially since you had just been sick. i am sure you will be a lot faster next time, it will also help a lot if it dose not rain Well I am guess it was warm rain, and then you are not allowed to complain to much

I hope you have been taking it easy the last days, just doing some very light training, if not, it is a good idea to get on the bike and do an easy ride. This is just to get some blood flowing in those tired muscles which will help them recover faster, so you can get back into training, and start preparing for the next race

2011-05-04 10:02 PM

Congrats on finshing your first tri Monica... Good job. Seems like you have caught the bug already thinking about the next one. Next time i hope you feel much better before hand and youll do great.

2011-05-05 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody.

I am off to Germany in a couple of hours for my sprint Tri on Sunday, and I am so happy because the forecast is sunny

And Calluna will be doing her first real Tri on Saturday, so go wish her/us good luck

I will only me spending a limited time on the computer this weekend but I will be back in office on Tuesday The rest of the time I will be in the SUN

Have a great weekend everybody.

Edited by Mesteren 2011-05-05 11:10 AM
2011-05-05 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Mesteren: Wow, bad karma on the 2 flats, but nice recovery.  Incredible to have the Lubo (?) luck, twice!

Joel:  I was having the same problem with the swim, having to rest at 25m.  I found that if I tried to swim as slow as possible, I actually could swim 440m without stopping.  My time was about the same initially, but I had no stops to catch my breath.  Now my times are improving and I've dropped a minute off that distance.   I focus on only minimal kicking action and long slow strokes, pressing my upper body into the water.  HTH, let me know if you have questions.

Monica:  Thanks for sharing your tri experience.  I love hearing what things first timers run into as I'll be in the same boat some day.  BTW, I a couple of days at Isla Verde beach in Feb 2010 and loved it. Nice warm water!  Good job on race!

Christi

2011-05-05 9:13 PM

I saw a beaver run accross the road on my run. I think he was slower then I was. I truly hope so

2011-05-06 2:58 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Monica,

Wow on your race. It sounds like a really solid performance with some great intelligence like getting a proper lane to swim in. And finishing in the middle of your age group is very good for a first tri.

In regard to progress of swimming. I'm have the same story: Starting as a solid brick in the water to evolve to some floating device capable of staying alive propelling forward for 500m. I still feel like a poor swimmer who is just able to survive that part of a tri.

Though there is some much room for improvement we ppor swimmers should not forget how big the steps are we already made. Going from solid rock to 25m is huge.

Finally relaxing seems to be the key for me as well. I have peace with my current pace. And doing this part during the race is all about saving as much energy as possible so I can give it a real kick on the bike. Let's see how this plan will work in 2 weeks.

I just figured out that I'm getting addicted to training. Which is a complete new thing for me. I used to be all race/game focussed in all the previous sports I did. But coming close to race day (2 weeks from now) I'm getting mixed feelings. I really want to do the race and I'm more then ready. However I'm bummed about the fact that I will have to decrease my training effort during the week before and after it.

2011-05-06 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Hey everyone... wow.  I've been really busy at work and home.  I completely missed any sort of training on Tues, Wed and Thurs.  Today, i forced myself to squeeze in a 10km run before leaving school.  Wife a little unimpressed with me, but she's already over it.

Mother's Day Weekend... whatcha all got planned?

I'm taking my wife and daughters out with friends for a brunch buffet tomorrow, and then taking wife, daughters, mother in law and brother in law out for a nice formal sit down lunch on Sunday.  Other than that, not much.

2011-05-06 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Duncan,

I'm just about to pack to leave for mom (she lives a 2h1/2 away from here. Gonna stay over there for 2 nights. I have been thinking about making something out of clay for her. But I guess I'm to old for that now.

Just had a whoooop whoooop moment during my swim training at the gym. I discovered we now have a swimtrainer over there that wants to form a group to start of a weekly training session in the pool. In the meanwhile he gave me some great tips. It seemed I was wasting a lot of energy by not laying flat in the water. So with some corrections I increased quit a bit in speed and even more in using less power to do so. Sweet.

To illustrate the poorness of my technique before vs after. During a very nice excersize where I was only to kick while lying on my back and focussing on good breathing technique I was actually going faster then during my normal stroke. I guess I have a solid kick afterall.

Happy weekend all. And don't forget to give all the mams a sweet kiss. They deserve it (every weekend/day)

2011-05-06 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

That's awesome about the swimming Niezels!

I guess I forgot to mention my mother... well, she lives in Eastern Canada, and I live in Taiwan... so face to face ain't gonna happen.  We'll be Skypeing for sure, (We usually do at least once a week) so that will just have to do.   On a good note, my brother and his girlfriend arrive in Taiwan in less than 3 weeks.  They'll be staying for a year to teach!

2011-05-06 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3486184

well its my first mothers day being a mommy... So a seven month old still doesnt have the concept of mothersday yet, but she prmised to fill less diapers We ate apple pie today with icecream with the family and my mom i had the left overs supper which is nice. I made the pie my mom bought the icecream so were equal there. My bf bought me some stuff to get my veggie garden in the backyard started again. So yeah its gonna be nice weekend.
2011-05-06 11:50 PM

User image

Dayton OH

I like triathletes that remember their mamas!

My mother lives in far. in alaska in fact and ill be doing some skyping myself.

I did exactly what christi told me to do and followed the advice of everyone. I was quickly able to double my swim distance. I swam today 50m without stopping!

Thanks for all the help. Not sure what I would do without you guys.

2011-05-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3486393

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Hurray for me! I finished and didn't humiliate myself. Laughing

I wrote it up in my log, which I'll copy to a race report when I have the official times. Highlights:

• it was sunny in Seward, Alaska, which happens about twice a year. Gorgeous race day, warm, eagles floating around in thermals right over the starting line. Alaska is the most amazing place sometimes.
  • It was hilly. Really, really hilly.
  • I had an excellent (for me) swimtime of 16:50 for 900 - under 2:00/100, which I've never done before - and about a minute and a half faster.
  • I had an excellent run in spite of the hills, with another personal best at about 10:20/mile. (32:01)
  • The bike was the most unexpected thing. I almost wiped out once on one of the 90-degree turns from pavement to gravel in spite of my trusty Cannondale's best efforts. I didn't though. It was twisty, turny, uphill, downhill...whuf.
  • Total time was 1:18:06

Great day! What fun I had, and I am so very proud of myself!

2011-05-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3487158

Way to go Calluna awesome job. Your training really payed off.
2011-05-09 3:00 AM

User image

New user
Hope you all had a good weekend, we've already had mothers day over here, didn't get to do as much as I hoped for this weekend had to work so only got about 45 minute run in. Sat night I went out for some beers so Sunday was a wash out (I remember the good old days where a hangover wouldn't stop me from doing anything!)Found a sprint tri I'm going to enter in a month just to see how I get on, this weeks plan is to increase my swimming.Mesteren- your football team cost me big money this weekend lol
2011-05-09 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Nice job Calluna!!  Sounds like it was a pretty tough course.  Those are some good times!
2011-05-09 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Mother's day was awesome!  I treated myself to a 28 mile bike ride in 25mph wind Tongue out then went to the LBS to stock up on gels and a new water bottle.  A little later my son & my husband took me for a short hike through some trails near our house, then we went home to get the dogs & back up to the lake for a walk.  I'm exhausted, but it was a great day! 

I have to say, as much as I hate being on the trainer I think my time on it has paid off.  I noticed yesterday that I didn't struggle as much as I usually do in the wind.  For me, battling the wind is very mentally defeating.  Normally, after about 4 or 5 miles of the wind blowing me around, the negative self talk starts in and by the time I'm finished with my ride I'm exhausted and pretty disappointed in my ride.  I just kept telling myself yesterday.....as tough as it is riding in this wind, at least I'm not stuck inside on the trainer.  Apparently it worked, I felt great when I was done.....both mental & physical.  Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14