BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - Open
Nicole-great job on the PR.  Nice improvement.

Wetsuits.........I really like swimming in mine.  Unfortunately, there are not that many wetsuit legal races down here.  Mine is sleeveless so it does not feel as restrictive as a full sleeved suit.  Fit is super important. At first some people do kind of freak out because of the restrictive feeling of the suit.  I did a couple of short pool swims in mine before racing in it and that helped alot.  In my sprint race 2 weeks ago it was a red flag day in the Gulf.  The swim was not easy but the wetsuit provides enough buoyancy to give me the confidence that I wont drown in rough water or congested conditions. Plus I'm faster in it

Randy

2011-04-30 2:38 PM

New user

Denver
I would like to join the group.Name: Catherine BT name: catherinernStory: I am brand new to triathlons. I purchased my first road bike last summer and absolutely fell in love with riding. I have done a few 5ks in the past and had fun, but have always wanted to complete a tri, so here I am. Haven't really done much with swimming since I was a kid but the few training sessions I have done have been challenging but enjoyable. I am really looking for information at this point, feel like I am totally In the dark about everything, not even sure what to wear for the triathlon. Any help would be appreciated.Family status: single mom of a 15 year old son.
2011-04-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3474924

User image

Master
South Alabama
catherinern - 2011-04-30 2:38 PM I would like to join the group.Name: Catherine BT name: catherinernStory: I am brand new to triathlons. I purchased my first road bike last summer and absolutely fell in love with riding. I have done a few 5ks in the past and had fun, but have always wanted to complete a tri, so here I am. Haven't really done much with swimming since I was a kid but the few training sessions I have done have been challenging but enjoyable. I am really looking for information at this point, feel like I am totally In the dark about everything, not even sure what to wear for the triathlon. Any help would be appreciated.Family status: single mom of a 15 year old son.

Catherine-by my count you would make #15 and we would be happy to have you join us.  What are your racing/training plans for the Summer?

Randy
2011-04-30 8:09 PM

User image

Well I got a long ride in today but it was not what I would consider much of a work out. It was with the young men of my church that are going on a bike ride from SLC to Vegas. It was a long slow process this morning, 61 miles at 12.5 MPH pace. Plus it was super windy and cold. I guess it is still saddle time even if it wasn't the speed I would ride on my own.

On a side note I was helping a young boy change is flat today and Chris one of the owners of FLO Cycling stopped to help and I Got to chat with him. He was super nice and I think he liked that I recognized the FLO wheelset he was riding. They are not yet for sell. Just a random cool thing.

Kevin

2011-04-30 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

@Nicole- congrats on the 5K PR thats awesome!

@Joe- congrats on the sponsorship!

2011-05-01 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3474483

User image

Veteran

I was a combat medic for all of my six years. That being said I spent my last two years working at the MEPTS station as the NCOIC in a certain section.

Yeserday (April 30) I swam my fasted half mile in the pool ever. I was talking to one of my friends who used to be a state swim champ. She showed me how to use my hips to help thrust myself foward. When I combined my arm movement, my kicks, and my hips all together I flew through the water. I also noticed that I did not require as many breaks and when I did take a break it was only for a fraction of the time that I used to need. I am hoping that I've made a break through in my swimming. I know that I'm at my weakest in the pool.

2011-05-01 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3475274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
PnkHxC81 - 2011-04-30 8:09 PM

Well I got a long ride in today but it was not what I would consider much of a work out. It was with the young men of my church that are going on a bike ride from SLC to Vegas. It was a long slow process this morning, 61 miles at 12.5 MPH pace. Plus it was super windy and cold. I guess it is still saddle time even if it wasn't the speed I would ride on my own.

I thought I had a rough ride yesterday.  At least mine was only 17.5 miles. 61 miles at 12.5 is a really long day. 

I'm hoping to get my brick in this afternoon.  I was up all night with my son.  Going to take him to the dr this morning, I think he has an ear infection.   It seems like everytime I have a good couple weeks of training, something happens to mess up a week.  I keep telling myself I do triathlons as a hobbie, taking care of my family is my job.  But it is sometimes dissapointing. 

@Hubbie-Great job with the swim!

2011-05-01 7:21 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Recovery day for me.  Probably an easy run and swim.  Plenty to do around the house so not sure how much resting I will do .

Now that the group is filling up I would encourage everyone to use the Logs here to input their training.  It helps when someone has a question about their training if we can look and see what they have been doing. 

Randy  
2011-05-01 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I have a training question.  I'm following the BT beginner half ironman plan.  The longest ride is 3 hours.  I can't ride 56 miles in 3 hours.  I've never biked 56 miles.  Should I do it at least once before the race, or just stick to my training plan?

Christy

2011-05-01 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3474867

User image

Master
South Alabama
JoyDeh -

Is it too ambitious to shoot for 18m. swim, 19/20mph on bike and 8:30 mile on race day.... 6 weeks from now?  Any advice appreciated!!! 

Joy-those goals sound reasonable based on what you have told us.  If you have not done any open water swimming I would encourage you to do as many as possible before your race (assuming it is an OWS in the race).  The rush and rapid heart beat of starting a race coupled with limited visibility WILL cause problems-voice of experience .  The more you practice it the better you will feel.  

Don't underestimate the affect each event will have on the rest of the events.  Too hard of a swim will hurt your bike and pushing to hard on the bike will keep you from having your best run.

Do some brick workouts in the coming weeks so your body gets acclimated to the change in movement from one event to the next.

I like to set goals for myself in races....it motivates me.  But, in most every race there are variables that you can't control. Keep up the good training and you will be ready for a great race.

Randy
2011-05-01 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3474927

New user

Denver
Thanks Randy, glad to be in the group! My plans this summer is to complete my first sprint tri at the beginning of August. Just started a few weeks ago and feel like I have a long way to go, but am having a lot of fun already.I have a couple of questions:What is a brick? I keep seeing the term all over the website...Is there tri wear that is designed for swimming and riding? Like a wet suit/ swim suit with a chamois? Any books that you would recommend for an absolute beginner? Look forward to learning more!Catherine

2011-05-01 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

@Joe - congrats on the sponsor!!

@Joyce & Catherine - welcome!!

@Nicole - congrats on the PR!!

@Randy - I've never participated in a mentor group, per se. I am on another forum where I have 'met' people and been inspired by them doing tri's. Before I came on here, I asked most of my questions to them and they've somewhat helped me along (as far as what to expect and gear etc). I am really enjoying this mentor group, it's great to hear all these stories and see PR's and get some great solid advice from triathletes of every level.

My weekends right now are my time off. I have a strange schedule but I basically work out Tues-Fri, then take Sat-Mon off. Not ideal, but our weekends have been packed full of activities and we are trying to get our house done with this major remodel before my daughters first birthday Embarassed

2011-05-01 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I have a question about training. I have set up my training schedule for my next tri in August, which would give me 14 weeks to prepare, with a stress on running. Looking at my schedule, I am doing something everyday. Being that I've never followed an actual plan, do you recommend I change it up and do some two-a-days (i.e. run/swim, bike/run etc) Because while I created my own plan, I didn't think about adding in any strength training... which is equally important as the three events.

Speaking of strength training - I am OK with going to the gym, but I find myself getting very bored doing the same machines, then I end up going through the motions and not getting anything out of it. I have a few free weights at home (I can certainly add to my collection), but how do you feel about doing a small circuit at home with free weights? It would obviously be upper body heavy, since my legs will get a beating from running and cycling. The only leg machine I do at the gym is the press, I can do the same with squats.

Thoughts?

2011-05-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3475274

User image

Master
Baltimore
PnkHxC81 - 2011-04-30 9:09 PM

On a side note I was helping a young boy change is flat today and Chris one of the owners of FLO Cycling stopped to help and I Got to chat with him. He was super nice and I think he liked that I recognized the FLO wheelset he was riding. They are not yet for sell. Just a random cool thing.

Kevin

THat's really cool!  Flo cycling is creating quite the buzz around the BT forums.  It all looks like they'll have some really quality products and bring that previously unaffordable market of very aero wheels to the average person.  I love it.  I'll admit, as I've gotten better and raced/trainer more, I've been sucked into buying more and more of the aero "stuff".  It really stinks that on some level, how much money you have or the gear your can afford will affect the final rankings.  I went the used route, getting my tri bike and wheels used, but even then, it was a huge commitment to drop that kind of money.  I told my fitter that I just wish USAT sold one bike if multiple sizes and that was the only bike allowed.  Make it $1,000 or so and call it a day.  Level the playing field!

2011-05-01 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

I see two good areas to dive into next for a discussion - training plans/strength training and training gear (aero stuff, clothes, etc).

I think it's good to start with the training plans first, and we'll build to the gear afterwards (but I know there was a direct question about clothes I can answer next before that discussion).

So what do you all do?  Follow a plan or do you design your own?  Do you have a set structure for the week/month or "wing it" as you go along?  And perhaps the doozie - strength training - Do you do it or not and why?  What kind of stuff if you do?  (this topic can be a VERY heated debate, but I think that makes it more fun!).

2011-05-01 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3475730

User image

Master
Baltimore

catherinern - 2011-05-01 9:54 AM Thanks Randy, glad to be in the group! My plans this summer is to complete my first sprint tri at the beginning of August. Just started a few weeks ago and feel like I have a long way to go, but am having a lot of fun already.I have a couple of questions:What is a brick? I keep seeing the term all over the website...Is there tri wear that is designed for swimming and riding? Like a wet suit/ swim suit with a chamois? Any books that you would recommend for an absolute beginner? Look forward to learning more!Catherine

I think we'll cover bricks in depth if we start talking about training plans.  A brick is two workouts done back to back, as if you were doing them in a race (i.e. as little rest time in between as possible).  Most commonly you'll see people doing bike/run bricks because that is the toughest transition in a triathlon (in my opinion).

Tri wear - yes.  Lots of companies make shorts that are basically bike shorts but with a much smaller pad.  That way you can swim, bike and run in them easily.  The tops are generally sleeveless and much like bike jerseys except more tight fitting (less swim drag) and cut to swim and run easily in them.  Lots of times in a wetsuit legal race, you'll just wear the wetsuit over those garments.  To add another option, you can get the top and bottom in a one piece as well.  Most people find them more comfortable, but it makes answering "nature's call" much harder (so you tend to see people wear them for shorter distances but less so at longer distances).  Hope that helps!

2011-05-01 10:40 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Hi! My name is Debbie and I just turned 55. I got hooked on tri's watching my son last year and won first place in my age group my first tri in March....have to say,only four people or so were in my age group.  I taught myself to swim last summer and bought my first road bike a couple of weeks ago. I currently struggle with the running...can't seem to get past the 10 min per mile. My knees just recently started bothering me (after attempting plyometrics to get faster runs) and I just started researching natural running and chi running. Some of the principals seem to help. I am blessed to be able to train at my leisure and that oddly enough, presents a problem. I consider myself pretty disciplined, but struggle with a consistent workout format. I do train a couple times a week with a trainer using weights, try to bike once to twice a week (12 miles) and swim once or twice a week. I have been watching the Total Immersion Perpetual Motion video and attempting to incorporate some of the principals into my swim. Because running seems to be such a struggle, I tend to do a mile to just two at a time, lately.

Accountability to this group and motivation plus training tips, etc. would be great! I would love to be part of the team! I have a sprint planned for May 15, my first open water planned June 5th and nothing further at this time but do want to do two or three more this season.

2011-05-01 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3475809

User image

Master
South Alabama
djb45 - 2011-05-01 10:40 AM

Hi! My name is Debbie and I just turned 55. I got hooked on tri's watching my son last year and won first place in my age group my first tri in March....have to say,only four people or so were in my age group.  I taught myself to swim last summer and bought my first road bike a couple of weeks ago. I currently struggle with the running...can't seem to get past the 10 min per mile. My knees just recently started bothering me (after attempting plyometrics to get faster runs) and I just started researching natural running and chi running. Some of the principals seem to help. I am blessed to be able to train at my leisure and that oddly enough, presents a problem. I consider myself pretty disciplined, but struggle with a consistent workout format. I do train a couple times a week with a trainer using weights, try to bike once to twice a week (12 miles) and swim once or twice a week. I have been watching the Total Immersion Perpetual Motion video and attempting to incorporate some of the principals into my swim. Because running seems to be such a struggle, I tend to do a mile to just two at a time, lately.

Accountability to this group and motivation plus training tips, etc. would be great! I would love to be part of the team! I have a sprint planned for May 15, my first open water planned June 5th and nothing further at this time but do want to do two or three more this season.

Debbie-welcome to the group.  We have some good topics (training/gear) that we are about to plow into. So, hopefully we can answer some of your questions and you can give us your thoughts.

Randy 
2011-05-01 11:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Looks like we are at 16 in the group.  I dont think there is a set number that we should have before closing the group. Typically, a couple of folks will drop out.  I would like to have no more than 18 but I am fine with closing whenever everyone thinks is appropriate.  Thoughts?

Randy 
2011-05-01 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3475793

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-01 10:13 AM

So what do you all do?  Follow a plan or do you design your own?  Do you have a set structure for the week/month or "wing it" as you go along?  And perhaps the doozie - strength training - Do you do it or not and why?  What kind of stuff if you do?  (this topic can be a VERY heated debate, but I think that makes it more fun!).

I'm following a BT plan.  I don't feel like i know enough to design my own plan.  I do change things so I can fit the plan around my lifestyle.  But I really try to follow it.  To the point of getting really down when I don't.  I try to go week by week.  Any more than that is too much for me to think about.

I LOVE strength training.  But I can't fit it in during tri training.  I have 9 workouts a week.  There is no way I can fit in one more.  I spent the 10 weeks before I started training working out with a trainer, doing mostly weights and core work. I really miss it.  After my HIM in June, I'm going to start adding a day or 2 a week.

Christy

2011-05-01 5:09 PM

User image

New user

Hi guys!

I can see you are about to close this group but I have just discovered the website and mentor pages. Any chance I can squeeze in?

2011-05-01 5:23 PM

User image

New user

Portland

If this group is still open I'd like to join.

Name: Adam

Story: I ran cross country and track in college where I was a spectacularly mediocre collegiate athlete. I've done a fair bit of biking, never seriously, but I'm competent. I'm a complete newbie to swimming; given that and my uh, we'll call it “runners build,” I expect swimming to pose the biggest challenge.

I decided to do a triathlon about a month and a half ago and put together a newbie training plan with a housemate/training partner and some advice from BT. I was (and am) in pretty poor shape having basically quit running after graduation three years ago.

Current training: I was focusing on base mileage in all three disciplines and things were going fine until about three weeks ago when I rolled my ankle pretty bad playing basketball and cracked a bone in my lower leg.  Recently I've slipped back into lazy habits and haven't been doing much of any training. The doc told me I'd be out 3-6 weeks, and after 3 I'm thinking 6 weeks is more accurate.

Weightloss: I'm sitting at 165 but I'd like to drop the microbrew belly and add some upper body weight (I realize those are competing goals, that's the long term plan).

I'm still planning on doing my first tri at the end of July so I'm looking for a few things out of this mentor program... It would be great to be part of a community of people dedicated to the same things. I'd love advice from everyone concerning how to get in shape even though I won't be able to run or bike for at least another few weeks. And having someone review what I've been doing and offer some pointers for what to do in the future would be just fantastic.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

~Adam

Edited by smoothiebar 2011-05-01 5:28 PM
2011-05-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3476210

User image

Master
South Alabama
chugger99 - 2011-05-01 5:09 PM

Hi guys!

I can see you are about to close this group but I have just discovered the website and mentor pages. Any chance I can squeeze in?

Welcome! give us some background and a name when you can.

Randy
2011-05-01 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3476232

User image

Master
South Alabama
smoothiebar - 2011-05-01 5:23 PM

If this group is still open I'd like to join.

Name: Adam

Story: I ran cross country and track in college where I was a spectacularly mediocre collegiate athlete. I've done a fair bit of biking, never seriously, but I'm competent. I'm a complete newbie to swimming; given that and my uh, we'll call it “runners build,” I expect swimming to pose the biggest challenge.

I decided to do a triathlon about a month and a half ago and put together a newbie training plan with a housemate/training partner and some advice from BT. I was (and am) in pretty poor shape having basically quit running after graduation three years ago.

Current training: I was focusing on base mileage in all three disciplines and things were going fine until about three weeks ago when I rolled my ankle pretty bad playing basketball and cracked a bone in my lower leg.  Recently I've slipped back into lazy habits and haven't been doing much of any training. The doc told me I'd be out 3-6 weeks, and after 3 I'm thinking 6 weeks is more accurate.

Weightloss: I'm sitting at 165 but I'd like to drop the microbrew belly and add some upper body weight (I realize those are competing goals, that's the long term plan).

I'm still planning on doing my first tri at the end of July so I'm looking for a few things out of this mentor program... It would be great to be part of a community of people dedicated to the same things. I'd love advice from everyone concerning how to get in shape even though I won't be able to run or bike for at least another few weeks. And having someone review what I've been doing and offer some pointers for what to do in the future would be just fantastic.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

~Adam

Adam-glad to have you with us.  I was in the same boat as you with swimming.  Where did you run in college?

Randy
2011-05-01 5:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
With the 2 additions this afternoon that puts us at 18.  I think that should do it for the group....Joe what do you think?

Randy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56