BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3485094

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
Jewel22 - 2011-05-06 8:44 AM

sesh, on this brick, what are the distances you'll complete?

As for me, still sick.  The only thing I did was some stretches and I managed to walk 30 minutes very slowly on the treadmill.  It was tiring, but I really needed to get my body moving a little bit at least.

Probably 30 & 3.  I'd actually like to split them up, but all that other stuff is gonna eat up my Saturday afternoon.  Agh.. and the Grizzlies game is at 4:00 here.  So by then, I'm gonna need to be pacing around my living room drinking a beer.

2011-05-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3485068

User image

Gaithersburg

My mom is actually coming down to me this year for mother's day   She'll be here for a week and we'll be doing tons of bike riding on the trails in the area.  The weather is going to be perfect for outdoor exercise (except the pollen which is killing me!), which in the DC area in May is a miracle.  Hopefully my bike will actually be ready today!

Planning a long outside run this weekend in addition to the bike riding.  I learned how different it is to run inside versus outside in my 5K last week.  I need to make sure I'm running outside at least once a week!

2011-05-06 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3436046

Good Friday Afternoon Everyone!

last Saturday I did a Biathlon.  It was my first race since knee surgery last fall.  Overall I was very pleased.  I did the run, 5k, in 26 flat.  My first mile was at 7:31, I then adjusted my speed downward to protect the knee as it had not been tested to date.  I had a very slow transition to the bike.  I helped repair a rear derailer for the guy next to me.  Transition was about 5 min.  Now for the bike.  We had sustained winds of 25 mph with gust to 40 mph.  The course only had about 2.5 miles of tail wind.  The rest was cross wind or head wind.  The distance was 11.1 mile.  I rode it in 34 min.  that comes out to just under 20 mph.  The wind was really rugged.  About 10 people dropped out on the bike.  I feel that I would have been at 22mph plus without the wind.  Total time was 1:05.  The knee felt pretty good after the race.  I knew I had done something! 

I placed first in my age group and 12th overall.  But there were only about 4 or 5 in my age group 55-59.  My next race is in 2 weeks.  It is a sprint tri.  400 yd swim, 15 on the bike and a 5k run.  I have no idea what to expect. 

I would like to have any tips for training going into this race.  I know time is short but better late than never!  My thoughts are to use the swim to warm up my legs, pound the bike ( I think that I can hold 22-24 mph for the distance), and just finish the run without a heart attack! 

Jeffrey

2011-05-06 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3485809

Ontario, Canada

jeffrey71 -- 12th overall ... congratulations!!!  I think that is awesome.  Smile

2011-05-07 12:29 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Jeffrey, even though it is a short distance make sure to eat before and during the event. Other than that put on a smile on your face and enjoy! Good luck!
2011-05-07 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-06 2:21 PM

and just finish the run without a heart attack! 

Jeffrey

you're funny Jeffrey.......Cool

have fun at your race....I've got a 45 mile hilly bike ride this saturday and that's pretty much my goal as well..and not be last of course!!!

2011-05-07 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-06 12:21 PM

I have no idea what to expect. 

I would like to have any tips for training going into this race.  I know time is short but better late than never!  My thoughts are to use the swim to warm up my legs, pound the bike ( I think that I can hold 22-24 mph for the distance), and just finish the run without a heart attack! 

Jeffrey

I wouldn't kick too much for the swim.  Even though it's only a 400, your arms should still be doing the work.  Something along the lines of a 2 beat kick works well for most tri swims.  Other than that, go hard on the bike and try to go even harder on the run.  You'll know you pounded the bike leg too hard if your run time suffers.  BUT, you can then use that effort to gauge the next race Wink.

2011-05-07 7:45 PM

A question for all.  After last weeks race I felt great.  I took Sunday off.  Monday I had a pain in my right hip area that is still there and seems to be moving down my quad on the outside of it.  It hurts when I sit with knees bent, like when driving and in during the motion of stooping or bending.  Now here is the odd part, it hurts only in a specific range of motion.  Like when I am about half way through the stooping, but it hurts constantly when I sit in my car or truck and sit upright.  If I slouch down the pain goes away.  I have done 3 pretty good workouts and rested a day inbetween this week.  Today if hurt enough that I took the day off.  I am normally a 18 hour a week trainer.  6 days at 3 hours, one day rest.  I have never had this pain before.  I seem to be able to run, bike and swim but I am concerned.  Walking is fine too. No impact pain if I hit the area with my hand.  I have taking Meloxicam (for Arthritist in my knee) and Aleve without a lot of success.  I believe that I have really strained something after last weeks race as the pain seems to be wanting to move down my quad today.  The race last week was the first race that I really dug down to get out of comfort level and let it all out.  This hip thing may be the price.  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that anyone might have.

thanks!  I hope all are having a great weekend!

Jeffrey

2011-05-08 10:40 AM

Ontario, Canada

Still as sick as all get out.  I actually went to the clinic yesterday because I was feeling so crappy.  It's a virus with a possible throat infection.  I'm awating the swab results.

I did however, go out for a very, very short ride this morning.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I bought a new bike recently and I've not really ridden it much.  So this morning I just rode about 10km at a very slow pace.  I just needed to test it out and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Hopefully I'll be a bit better tomorrow and can resume some sort of training.  I know I'll not be swimming yet because my breathing isn't the best so we'll see.  Maybe just some walking.

2011-05-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3487725

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Get well soon. It sucks to be sick. It has been my experience, anecdotally, that sometimes a really hard workout (as long as I'm not vomitting or crapping myself) sometimes makes me feel dramatically better. The start is sometimes horrible but as I warm up my sinuses clear up, my head clears and I almost start to feel human. Your experience may vary but it sometimes works wonders. My wife thinks this is crazy and not all experts think this is a great idea, but some do. So far this year I have avoided any and all bugs (knock on formica). It almost feels like the hard training has been warding off evil humours......

I did more biking (and running and swimming) this weekend. I am really starting to think that the bike is a real limiter and needs the majority of my work over the next few months. I do a large (think 80%) part of my riding on the trainer and it feels so much harder than being outside riding. Children, work, etc dictate that most of my rides are inside. I guess it will work. It sure does hurt. Time will tell.

Running and swimming continue to come along nicely. Six days out from my first race of the year and 19 days out from my spring marathon. Things are getting exciting all of a sudden.

Jason
2011-05-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3488980

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-05-09 10:13 AM Get well soon. It sucks to be sick. It has been my experience, anecdotally, that sometimes a really hard workout (as long as I'm not vomitting or crapping myself) sometimes makes me feel dramatically better. The start is sometimes horrible but as I warm up my sinuses clear up, my head clears and I almost start to feel human. Your experience may vary but it sometimes works wonders. My wife thinks this is crazy and not all experts think this is a great idea, but some do. So far this year I have avoided any and all bugs (knock on formica). It almost feels like the hard training has been warding off evil humours...... I did more biking (and running and swimming) this weekend. I am really starting to think that the bike is a real limiter and needs the majority of my work over the next few months. I do a large (think 80%) part of my riding on the trainer and it feels so much harder than being outside riding. Children, work, etc dictate that most of my rides are inside. I guess it will work. It sure does hurt. Time will tell. Running and swimming continue to come along nicely. Six days out from my first race of the year and 19 days out from my spring marathon. Things are getting exciting all of a sudden. Jason

Thanks Jason.   When I read your post about a hard workout sometimes making you feel better I chuckled because that is exactly what my husband does when he's sick.  He just got over the same virus I have (actually he gave it to me) and he continued his training schedule with only a few modifications.   As for me, I usually continue on for the most part but at a very reduced level.  I've never really gone hard when I've been sick.  Maybe I should try it, because it's someone other than my husband mentioning it.

Be sure to let us know how your race goes this weekend.

Christine

2011-05-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3488980

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

wannabefaster - 2011-05-09 7:13 AM Get well soon. It sucks to be sick. It has been my experience, anecdotally, that sometimes a really hard workout (as long as I'm not vomitting or crapping myself) sometimes makes me feel dramatically better. The start is sometimes horrible but as I warm up my sinuses clear up, my head clears and I almost start to feel human. Your experience may vary but it sometimes works wonders. My wife thinks this is crazy and not all experts think this is a great idea, but some do. So far this year I have avoided any and all bugs (knock on formica). It almost feels like the hard training has been warding off evil humours...... I did more biking (and running and swimming) this weekend. I am really starting to think that the bike is a real limiter and needs the majority of my work over the next few months. I do a large (think 80%) part of my riding on the trainer and it feels so much harder than being outside riding. Children, work, etc dictate that most of my rides are inside. I guess it will work. It sure does hurt. Time will tell. Running and swimming continue to come along nicely. Six days out from my first race of the year and 19 days out from my spring marathon. Things are getting exciting all of a sudden. Jason

Trainer rides ARE tougher than outdoor rides.  You never get a break, no coasting, etc.  The rule of thumb is your time on the trainer is equal to 1.25 the time outdoors.  First race this weekend? Awesome, good luck!

2011-05-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3487165

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-07 5:45 PM

A question for all.  After last weeks race I felt great.  I took Sunday off.  Monday I had a pain in my right hip area that is still there and seems to be moving down my quad on the outside of it.  It hurts when I sit with knees bent, like when driving and in during the motion of stooping or bending.  Now here is the odd part, it hurts only in a specific range of motion.  Like when I am about half way through the stooping, but it hurts constantly when I sit in my car or truck and sit upright.  If I slouch down the pain goes away.  I have done 3 pretty good workouts and rested a day inbetween this week.  Today if hurt enough that I took the day off.  I am normally a 18 hour a week trainer.  6 days at 3 hours, one day rest.  I have never had this pain before.  I seem to be able to run, bike and swim but I am concerned.  Walking is fine too. No impact pain if I hit the area with my hand.  I have taking Meloxicam (for Arthritist in my knee) and Aleve without a lot of success.  I believe that I have really strained something after last weeks race as the pain seems to be wanting to move down my quad today.  The race last week was the first race that I really dug down to get out of comfort level and let it all out.  This hip thing may be the price.  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that anyone might have.

thanks!  I hope all are having a great weekend!

Jeffrey

Sounds like you need to see a doctor!

2011-05-09 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Yeah agreed here, I think its time to call a DR and at elast check in and see what's up.

How is everyone else doing? I've been running around like crazy all weekend and have not been on much.
2011-05-09 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3490452

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

newbz - 2011-05-09 5:58 PM Yeah agreed here, I think its time to call a DR and at elast check in and see what's up. How is everyone else doing? I've been running around like crazy all weekend and have not been on much.

I had a Physical Fitness Test (PFT) this morning which is 1 max set of pullups, timed crunches for 2:00 and a 3 mile run.  I ran a 20:54 about a month ago and was shooting for a 20:40 on the run.  I'm not sure if it was the forced march we did last week, but my shins were killing me today and my HR was pegged in Z6 after about a mile.  I managed a 21:37, but wasn't happy about it.  On a good note, my new bike was built this weekend and I was able to get squeezed in for a fitting.  I'll ride it to work tomorrow to give it a first taste of the road.

2011-05-10 7:25 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

I've got a 45 mile bike tour this Saturday that I'm really looking forward to riding.  Its not a race necessarily but it will be longest I've ridden in a group setting and I'm curious to see my time and how i feel during and after.

I've decided to hire a swim coach, I'm still having trouble with my neck hurting so I want to get my form corrected before I practice swimming "wrong" too much more Embarassed.

Anyway....have a great week, train hard, eat good, and be safe...you just never know!!!

2011-05-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3490981

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been using a swim coach over the winter. I have not gotten a whole lot faster--some but not a lot-- but swimming has gotten much easier at the same speed. I think it is some of the best money I have spent in triathlon.
2011-05-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3490492

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
On a good note, my new bike was built this weekend and I was able to get squeezed in for a fitting. I'll ride it to work tomorrow to give it a first taste of the road.

Sweet. A new bike makes riding so much more enticing. Maybe that is what I need....... Must discuss with wife.........

2011-05-11 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Well my training has taken a blow the past few days.  I forget how ridiculous things get being a race director as the race nears.  To top it off, I had to blow off last nights workouts to replace the food disposal in my sink.  No leaks!
2011-05-11 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Question for y'all using swim coaches, and feel free not to answer if you don't want to or think it's not appropriate... How much does it cost?

Full disclosure:  I'm asking because I've been approached by a fair number of people around here about coaching them on the swim.  A tri-store owner has also approached me and let me know a lot of people in his store are asking about swim coaching.  There's a good opportunity there, since there aren't any swim coaches in the area (for triathletes anyway, there are master's classes).  However, that also means I've got no pricing model to go by.
2011-05-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3493164

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I bought a package of ten x 1/2 hour sessions for $300, I think that five lessons were $175. The coach usually gives me closer to 45 minutes to an hour for my $30. I don't know what she charges for single lessons but I am guessing it is around $45/hour. These lessons are done in a endless-current-type pool.

Jason

2011-05-11 9:13 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

Well the hip is getting better.  I was just getting ready to go see  my Doc (a good friend that says we are all nuts! LOL) when it started feeling better.  It must have been a pull.  The pain did start moving around the quad area a bit.  I rested 2 days then went back into training.  It felt fine during and after the training.  This morning it was much better!  "Getting old ain't for sissies"!

I have gotten some great swim tips reading the post.  I have knocked 45 seconds off my 1/4 mile time!  Thanks!  The bike feels good, and I will be doing some interval run training tonight.

With a race coming up, I am focusing on my 3 primary goals:  Don't drown! Don't crash! Don't have a heart attack!  The successful completion  of those makes for a pretty darn good race!

I hope you are all strong and fast!

Jeffrey

2011-05-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3493025

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

wannabefaster - 2011-05-11 5:48 AM  Sweet. A new bike makes riding so much more enticing. Maybe that is what I need....... Must discuss with wife.........

It does!  I really enjoy cycling, much more than any other form of exercise, so I was happy to get back to it.  I'm intrigued by ultra distance cycling, I am riding a double century this fall.

2011-05-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3493248

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-11 7:13 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

Well the hip is getting better.  I was just getting ready to go see  my Doc (a good friend that says we are all nuts! LOL) when it started feeling better.  It must have been a pull.  The pain did start moving around the quad area a bit.  I rested 2 days then went back into training.  It felt fine during and after the training.  This morning it was much better!  "Getting old ain't for sissies"!

I have gotten some great swim tips reading the post.  I have knocked 45 seconds off my 1/4 mile time!  Thanks!  The bike feels good, and I will be doing some interval run training tonight.

With a race coming up, I am focusing on my 3 primary goals:  Don't drown! Don't crash! Don't have a heart attack!  The successful completion  of those makes for a pretty darn good race!

I hope you are all strong and fast!

Jeffrey

Glad to hear you're on the mend.  GL on the race!

2011-05-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3490981

Ontario, Canada
rrobinette - 2011-05-10 8:25 AM

I've got a 45 mile bike tour this Saturday that I'm really looking forward to riding.  Its not a race necessarily but it will be longest I've ridden in a group setting and I'm curious to see my time and how i feel during and after.

I've decided to hire a swim coach, I'm still having trouble with my neck hurting so I want to get my form corrected before I practice swimming "wrong" too much more Embarassed.

Anyway....have a great week, train hard, eat good, and be safe...you just never know!!!

Have fun on the bike tour this weekend rrobinette.  I don't think I've ever ridden that far.

Yesterday I went out for an easy, easy 40 minute bike ride and felt pretty good.  So today I thought I'd go for a skate ... big mistake.  It was probably the worse 12 kms I've ever skated.  I cut the skate short because I was feeling a little shaky from all the hacking & coughing.  I even started getting a headache.  Obviously it was too soon to really exert myself.  I guess tomorrow is another easy bike ride.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14