BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-06-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3535786

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED
adsvil - 2011-06-06 3:55 PM

Managed to get a ride in. Only 32 mins but rode hard so hopefully it helps.

Adam

It helps!  In most cases, it's always better to do something rather than nothing!

2011-06-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Traveling for work.   Walked a ton today.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get into the gym.

May run a 5K on Sat, small local event.

Felt sad as I watched the Tri I pulled out of on Sunday on the web, I wanted to be there.

2011-06-07 11:58 AM

User image

San Jose

Hi all,

The week of the Memorial Day long weekend got in 6 workouts, even while on a silent retreat.  Yay!

Sadly, I got struck by a Spring cold and that dropped down to 3.  Starting this week with a run, and have scheduled a swim lesson to learn the freestyle stroke (I currently use the breaststroke.)

Hope all are well!

Stef

2011-06-07 12:49 PM

User image

New user

Good luck with your swimming Stef!

I just had my first ever swimming lesson too! Which seems really funny, as I can't remember a time when i couldn't swim. Learned that i swim too low in the water when i do freestyle, creating drag, and my head wasn't quite enough to the side when i breathe. Was very useful! Did some speed work too which was fantastic. I'm doing a lesson a week in the pool now (for 2 months), plus 2 open water swims. I signed up to do the swim leg in a relay in less than 2 weeks, so i have a bit of pressure now to keep me motivated...

2011-06-07 5:23 PM

New user

Good luck with the swimming ladies.

I got into the pool after playing tennis this evening. I am trying to do something every evening this week and then plan to take it gentle next week to be strong for tri on Sunday 19 June.

Swim went well today. Felt strong and didn't get fatigued.

Adam

2011-06-07 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Help!

I am having trouble with my bike tires. I recently purchased a used road bike from my local bike co-op and it has presta valves - which were foreign to me. So per the recommendation of the guy at the bike shop, I bought the adapters for the valves, since both my pumps and my tire gauge are suited for schrader valves. I realized after my ride yesterday that my tires were low and attempted to fill them for the first time this evening. 

My tires say the psi should be 115. I can't seem to inflate them to more than 70 psi - they are ROCK HARD and it is impossible to get anymore air in them - the pump literally won't pump anymore. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of conversion I am missing? I can't see how I can inflate these tires to 115 psi without them bursting. 

Any suggestions/info/advice would be most helpful. 

~Michelle

2011-06-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3531921

Kido - 2011-06-03 6:59 PM

Along with that, a decent stretching program works WONDERS to avoid injuries and aches and pains.  I strongly recommend getting a foam roller and working your ITB.  It's such a leading cause for knee pain and other issues, that a couple minutes a day will help avoid...  They only cost about 20-25 bucks and well worth the money.

I had cronic knee pain, and a couple weeks on the roller?  Totally gone.  If I ever feel it coming back, just a few extra sessions and I'm all cleared up.

Huh?  What is ITB?   More info please?! Thanks!

2011-06-08 12:38 AM
in reply to: #3537891

User image

New user
arquillo - 2011-06-07 5:01 PM

Help!

I am having trouble with my bike tires. I recently purchased a used road bike from my local bike co-op and it has presta valves - which were foreign to me. So per the recommendation of the guy at the bike shop, I bought the adapters for the valves, since both my pumps and my tire gauge are suited for schrader valves. I realized after my ride yesterday that my tires were low and attempted to fill them for the first time this evening. 

My tires say the psi should be 115. I can't seem to inflate them to more than 70 psi - they are ROCK HARD and it is impossible to get anymore air in them - the pump literally won't pump anymore. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of conversion I am missing? I can't see how I can inflate these tires to 115 psi without them bursting. 

~Michelle

My tires are supposed to be 115 psi too, and the only way i can physically get them to that is to have my boyfriend pump them up for me, with his bike shop style pump! One of those big plunger ones. Or else i use the pressurised air at the 'bike garage' at uni. I can't get them past about 90 psi on my own, or with a normal pump, or if i use adaptors (they seem to leak air). Try taking the adaptors off and using a plunger style pump i guess? They will be rock hard, but it really makes you faster!

2011-06-08 12:44 AM
in reply to: #3538118

User image

New user
colossians_33 - 2011-06-07 7:50 PM
Kido - 2011-06-03 6:59 PM

Along with that, a decent stretching program works WONDERS to avoid injuries and aches and pains.  I strongly recommend getting a foam roller and working your ITB.  It's such a leading cause for knee pain and other issues, that a couple minutes a day will help avoid...  They only cost about 20-25 bucks and well worth the money.

I had cronic knee pain, and a couple weeks on the roller?  Totally gone.  If I ever feel it coming back, just a few extra sessions and I'm all cleared up.

Huh?  What is ITB?   More info please?! Thanks!

ITB = iliotibial band.

The band of muscle that kind of runs from the outer part of the knee, along the outside of your thigh and over your hip/pelvis. Gets really tight and causes knee pain and sometimes hip pain (hip pain more common in women) if it's not stretched properly (sorry i'm a biochemist and i love all this medical stuff hehe!).

2011-06-08 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3538240

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
gokat - 2011-06-08 1:38 AM
arquillo - 2011-06-07 5:01 PM

Help!

~Michelle

My tires are supposed to be 115 psi too, and the only way i can physically get them to that is to have my boyfriend pump them up for me, with his bike shop style pump! One of those big plunger ones. Or else i use the pressurised air at the 'bike garage' at uni. I can't get them past about 90 psi on my own, or with a normal pump, or if i use adaptors (they seem to leak air). Try taking the adaptors off and using a plunger style pump i guess? They will be rock hard, but it really makes you faster!

Thanks Kat - you were spot on! I took my tire to the local bike shop and they told me my problem was that I have a crappy tire pump. $50 later, my problem is solved. I'm praying for nice weather tomorrow so I can get out and see what kind of difference properly inflated tires will make in my time.
2011-06-08 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably comfortable, reasonably priced women's bike seat?

2011-06-09 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3539978

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Tire pressure....

Yes, getting a good pump will help!  But it still takes a bit of muscle to get to 120 psi (which is where I ride due to my size)...  However, you may not need to go that high.  I have attached a quick chart to help you determine your proper pressure.  High pressure may be a tad faster, but harder to control and less comfortable.  Pro's tend to ride lower than normal pressures, but they also have a car full of replacement bike wheels in case they get flats!

I have seen this chart used.  It's based on the rider weight and tire size.  If you have any questions of tire size, holler.

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

2011-06-09 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3539978

User image

Sensei
Sin City

double post.

Edited by Kido 2011-06-09 1:29 PM
2011-06-09 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Good info on tires.  My wife is little and it's funny to watch her bounce off the pump trying to get her pressure up.  I don't know if I'll tell her she doesn't need to get that much pressure cause it's kinda funny to watch.

Race this weekend, hopefully the smoke from the AZ fires isn't too bad.  Kido you're in Vegas right?  I don't know if you're getting it but where I am it's been very bad.  Last night it looked like a storm was rolling in but was just smoke.  We live in the high desert and it really doesn't get all that hot - mid 80's, so we have no AC.  We usually open the windows at night but that is out of the question so it's been hard to sleep.

I would like some "mentoring" advice on training between races.  I have attached my summer plans starting Monday after the race this weekend.  I sort of based it on a free plan from this website.

Attachments
----------------
Summer Training.xlsx (13KB - 8 downloads)
2011-06-09 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3541176

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Wow - this chart is super helpful, especially considering my wrists are still vibrating from the ride I finished over an hour ago. I was thinking of adjusting the pressure down before I read this, now I definitely will. I'll give it another go on Monday (weather gods permitting - they've been naughty here in N.E. Ohio this spring). Hopefully I can score a new saddle this weekend and be all set! 
2011-06-10 2:15 PM

Thanks for tire pressure info!  and about the ITB.  I don't feel so bad now about not pumping my tires up as far as "they say" you are supposed to! 

So, "they say" also, you are supposed to "listen to your body," right?  Well, I missed two days of training this week because my legs were screaming ("you are old! why are you doing this?! various idioms of doubt, fear and pain) at me, from my sore feet to my shins to my knees the last two days.  Now I am afraid to go jogging, because of how crappy my legs and feet feel, though they feel a little better today, except my feet.   I did get over-tired this week, taking a group of teenagers overnight, jogging the first morning and swimming the second on very little sleep, but I did not expect to feel this bad.  Nor did I think I was "over-training" until my feet starting aching all of the time. Managed a decent bike ride today and plan to go swimming this evening. Help?!  Thanks, Suzi

2011-06-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3541346

User image

Sensei
Sin City
chsdaddy - 2011-06-09 12:36 PM

Good info on tires.  My wife is little and it's funny to watch her bounce off the pump trying to get her pressure up.  I don't know if I'll tell her she doesn't need to get that much pressure cause it's kinda funny to watch.

Race this weekend, hopefully the smoke from the AZ fires isn't too bad.  Kido you're in Vegas right?  I don't know if you're getting it but where I am it's been very bad.  Last night it looked like a storm was rolling in but was just smoke.  We live in the high desert and it really doesn't get all that hot - mid 80's, so we have no AC.  We usually open the windows at night but that is out of the question so it's been hard to sleep.

I would like some "mentoring" advice on training between races.  I have attached my summer plans starting Monday after the race this weekend.  I sort of based it on a free plan from this website.

Haha!  Now you are talking!  I love questions and more than questions?  I love PLANS!  LOL!

What specifically do you have in mind (I can't open your xls by the way, older version of excel - I need to update!).

The "in between" time is always tough.  You don't want to go too hard to burn yourself out, but not too easy either and lose fitness.  In general, what I like to do, is the opening weeks from the next plan, then repeat them when the plan officially begins.  I figure then, you start the plan that much stronger.

FOR EXAMPLE.  My Ironman plan starts July 4th, so I imported the first 4-5 weeks and started them a couple weeks ago.  I will work through them, and figure when I do them again, I will be fitter and stronger and can do them a bit better.  At the same time, since they are the opening weeks, they are not TOO hard and shouldn't burn me out (it's a long plan, and I don't want to be tired with a month to go before the race).

I also feel that I have a bit more flexability to move things around, skip workouts, or extend workouts.  Again, as an example, I needed a 2hr ride, but a friend invited me to go for a much longer ride, so did that instead.

2011-06-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3543018

User image

Sensei
Sin City
colossians_33 - 2011-06-10 12:15 PM

Thanks for tire pressure info!  and about the ITB.  I don't feel so bad now about not pumping my tires up as far as "they say" you are supposed to! 

So, "they say" also, you are supposed to "listen to your body," right?  Well, I missed two days of training this week because my legs were screaming ("you are old! why are you doing this?! various idioms of doubt, fear and pain) at me, from my sore feet to my shins to my knees the last two days.  Now I am afraid to go jogging, because of how crappy my legs and feet feel, though they feel a little better today, except my feet.   I did get over-tired this week, taking a group of teenagers overnight, jogging the first morning and swimming the second on very little sleep, but I did not expect to feel this bad.  Nor did I think I was "over-training" until my feet starting aching all of the time. Managed a decent bike ride today and plan to go swimming this evening. Help?!  Thanks, Suzi

Food for thought...  How are your shoes?  It could be a lack or run training, but also, proper footwear could be behind some of the aches and pains.

Probably more important than the foam roller to help with some aches and pains, I can't stress the importance of a properly fit bike and good shoes (along with good swim form to avoid shoulder issues).

Good luck with the aches and pains! (and yes, I can relate to being old!  haha!  My knees cause me issues now, and that was NEVER the case!)

2011-06-12 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Kido, try this version of the plan, saved it as excel 97-03.

Race this weekend went great, will write a report when the results are posted.  I didn't beat my goal of 1:25, based on my watch was 1:26 and some change.  The run was very difficult, much more difficult than the 1st tri I did this year, but I improved by 5 mins and it was alittle further.  So I accomplished my goal of improving the run!!! No one passed me on the bike and I bet my bike split was faster than the run, the swim was a cluster you know what.  The pool was only 4 lanes, and it was too full to swim.

Overall had a blast and looking forward to the next one July 16th!!

Will post a link to the race results when they are up.

Attachments
----------------
Summer Training.xls (38KB - 8 downloads)
2011-06-12 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3544809

Kido - 2011-06-12 12:24 PM
colossians_33 - 2011-06-10 12:15 PM

Food for thought...  How are your shoes?  It could be a lack or run training, but also, proper footwear could be behind some of the aches and pains.

Probably more important than the foam roller to help with some aches and pains, I can't stress the importance of a properly fit bike and good shoes (along with good swim form to avoid shoulder issues).

Good luck with the aches and pains! (and yes, I can relate to being old!  haha!  My knees cause me issues now, and that was NEVER the case!)

Thanks, Kido.  Maybe I should send  you my plan, too.  I'm going to be traveling some again this summer and will need to make some modifications to it to fit my schedule.. I have been comfortable with my asics running shoes supplemented with a heel pad; maybe I am still not stretching adequately after exercise or throughout the day.Do you have a plan you would like to share for stretches? Been thinking of switching to orthotics or a higher end running shoe.  Probably could get some coaching on running /jogging, since I have never really been a runner and when I tried before I ended up with plantar fascitis..  I did take a few swimming lessons this spring--they told me my form looked really good, gave me a few pointers on rolling/pivoting from side to side while doing freestyle.  Still haven't made that trip to the bike shop--this bike fits me well, according to my husband, but it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion, shop for gear, shoes, clothes, pedals?  I'm still not over not being able to wear my regular swimsuit and shorts for this thing.  Mental training too.  haha

2011-06-13 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255960

Here's the race report from Saturday.

Left foot (arch) and shin are pretty sore, I think from running downhill.   I think i'm gonna give it 1 more day of rest, ice and Aleeve.

Bike race on Father's Day, around "The Loop" 

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37469346

Hopefully these links work

2011-06-16 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Guess we have all been busy...  Lightning canceled the swim and run in the river/bridge last night.

Walked with dogs today...  Walking more at work, since I added a second building to my offices, and it is across campus.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

2011-06-16 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3553374

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's been a very busy week, that's for sure...  Lots going on so my training has REALLY slipping.

There have been lots of things going on at the house, investigating a possible new career, upgrading to a new computer which takes forever with all the progams and settings and pictures and music that need to get transfered...  PLUS, you may or may not know from another thread, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a week ago...    TOTALLY curable, almost routine, but it's nerve wracking all the same...  Plus I have insurance issues since I was between jobs.  Perfect timing, right???  Anyway, I will be working computers again this weekend (may persue my programming hobby and turn it into something to make money!) but I also hope to get some training in.  IMAZ is not going to train for itself!  haha!  Have a good weekend everyone if I don't get a hold of you... 

About those training plans I needed to look at.  With the computer changes, it's taking a while to get software loaded back up to open them...  I promise to get to it.

2011-06-17 12:50 AM
in reply to: #3545312

User image

Sensei
Sin City
chsdaddy - 2011-06-12 7:15 PM

Kido, try this version of the plan, saved it as excel 97-03.

Race this weekend went great, will write a report when the results are posted.  I didn't beat my goal of 1:25, based on my watch was 1:26 and some change.  The run was very difficult, much more difficult than the 1st tri I did this year, but I improved by 5 mins and it was alittle further.  So I accomplished my goal of improving the run!!! No one passed me on the bike and I bet my bike split was faster than the run, the swim was a cluster you know what.  The pool was only 4 lanes, and it was too full to swim.

Overall had a blast and looking forward to the next one July 16th!!

Will post a link to the race results when they are up.

Karl,

I took a look at your summer plan.  Looks nice and consistent.  You should have solid fitness.

However, I will make a couple suggestions.  In general, it's good to pick your "A" race.  Usually just 1 or 2 big events in a year that you really want to do well in.  If you goal is just to do them, then your plan is fine.  However, if you would like to "peak" for your Patriot Triathlon, I would consider building your volume over the weeks.  You seem to be very consistent over the weeks.  Same distances in your disciplines for the summer.  I think, as you work, you will be come more fit, and those distances may seem "too easy".  Think about increasing your time/distance about 10-15 percent a week.  That would meen adding a 100 yards to each of you swims every week so that last week, you could be swimming 1300-1400 yards instead of 900.  Your long bike could be closer to 35-40, etc.  I think you should be to easily handle the increases as you proceed.

I might even suggest talking a look at the free 16 week olympic 2x plan.  feel free to move some of the workouts around to match your schedule some.  If you only have 12-13 weeks till the race, start the plan on week 3 or 4.  Or just take a look at it and see how the volume slightly inrease week to week.

My 0.02

Edited by Kido 2011-06-17 12:56 AM
2011-06-17 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Sorry to hear about your thyroid. My mom had hers removed a long time ago and has been on thyroid medication every since. No worse for the wear and I know your situation will work out.

Thanks for the advice, I adjusted the weekly volumes increasing 5% per week, and split into a 2x plan 45%-55% on the run and 40%-60% on the bike/swim.  For race weeks I shortened a little.  So runs go from 2.7/3.3 miles next week to 4.4/5.4 miles at week 12, bike 12/18 to 20/30, swim 500/800 to 850/1250. I think this will work out better, as I am continually building versus doing similar longer distances each week.  I am a little sore in the left knee joint so backing down a little to start and working back up is probably a good idea.

Thanks again for the advice!

Bike race this weekend, Tour de Los Alamos.  I did it in 2006 in 1:48, so that's my goal time to beat.  Supposed to be windy, hopefully a tailwind on the climbs!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12