BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-12-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3942453

New user
Swansea, IL
Subject: RE: SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED

I started using the free BT training logs earlier this year - don't get too technical, just record the basics but find it keeps me accountable.  I welcome anyone reviewing my logs and making suggestions, constructive criticisms, etc.  I'm starting one of the basic OLY training plans next week along with a swim plan called "zero to 1 mile."

Dumb question:  how do I add the group thread and everyone's link to my friend's list and make it a nice list on my dashboard?

About to climb on the trainer for a quick interval workout then running hills on the treadmill at lunch.

JRH

2011-12-29 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3959202

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
jrhesq - 2011-12-29 7:01 AM

I started using the free BT training logs earlier this year - don't get too technical, just record the basics but find it keeps me accountable.  I welcome anyone reviewing my logs and making suggestions, constructive criticisms, etc.  I'm starting one of the basic OLY training plans next week along with a swim plan called "zero to 1 mile."

Dumb question:  how do I add the group thread and everyone's link to my friend's list and make it a nice list on my dashboard?

About to climb on the trainer for a quick interval workout then running hills on the treadmill at lunch.

JRH

I just copied and pasted the group table in my dashboard.  All the links seem to work for me.  As far as adding friends, all I know is it's under the settings link at the top of the page, and probably under customization.   Have fun with the intervals and hill repeats.

2011-12-29 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
The holidays have me all out of whack. I have missed 3 workouts in the last 4 days.  Before this stretch, I had missed 4 workouts in the last 2 months... The weather here in Kansas is supposed to be AWESOME the next few days, with temps in the 60s.  I'm looking to get some speedwork done at the track tonight after work, and some threshold intervals on the bike tomorrow, potentially outside (if daylight cooperates with my work schedule).  Time to break the cycle!!! I swear, holidays are more taxing on me then my training is!!!
2011-12-29 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3959202

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
jrhesq - 2011-12-29 7:01 AM

I'll take a shot at explaining this.

First highlight Mark's post (thank you Mark!) with the link box by clicking just in front of SBR Endu... and dragging down just past ...an25 - Brandon.  Then right click and "copy".

Then click on your Training Log link to get to your dashboard.  On your dashboard find the middle top section usually with your username and an underlined "edit" link.  Clicking the "edit" opens a word processing box, right click in the box and "paste".  You should see Mark's box and you can type anything else you want in the box.  Click OK just below the box.

Here's where/how to set permissions for your training log:

1. Go to 'Settings > Training Log Settings' and allow guests to view your training log.
  2. The URL to give out to others you want to share with is the URL you get when you click on the 'Training Log' Button in the address bar.Example: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=287504&year=&month=&day=

Adding friends requires a little more time.  Go to 'Settings > Training Blog Customization > Friends'.  I just copied and paste each one of us from Mark's list (or anyone you want on your friend list) into the fields "Friend #1, #2, etc.".  And don't forget to click the "Update Friends" button at the bottom.

I like seeing the different heart rate comparisons.  Many are close to what I use now.  I'm going to do my run test for LT when I get off work some time next week.  Intrested in seeing how close I am.

Get better Simone!

2011-12-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3959470

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

m.a.burghart - 2011-12-29 8:49 AM The holidays have me all out of whack. I have missed 3 workouts in the last 4 days.  Before this stretch, I had missed 4 workouts in the last 2 months... The weather here in Kansas is supposed to be AWESOME the next few days, with temps in the 60s.  I'm looking to get some speedwork done at the track tonight after work, and some threshold intervals on the bike tomorrow, potentially outside (if daylight cooperates with my work schedule).  Time to break the cycle!!! I swear, holidays are more taxing on me then my training is!!!

I hear ya!  This could be my exact post for today, right down to the track speed work planned tonight after work if I can pull it off.  Lucky for me this week is my last recovery week on my run loading schedule, at least that worked out for me!

2011-12-29 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Thats a great table...For the last couple of months, I have not logged all of my training, and for the last months, have not really been very disiplined about training. The last week I have had the flu. think I am on the last 24 hours of this flu. Went to bed at 5:30 last night and slept until 5:30 this morning. I start getting serious about the trainingand dieting on Monday.

2011-12-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3960371

Kenosha
I'm fairly good about logging and getting my planned training in. My problem is having a heart that will let me push it harder. I'm not happy with my heart rates, as recorded when I remember my hr monitor.
2011-12-29 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Another good way to measure heart health is by your rested heart rate, RHR.  And it's easy to find thus easy to monitor!

You can use your monitor or just check your pulse.  After a rested nights sleep, the first thing when you wake up in the morning (not to a blasting alarm clock and while your still horizontal) check your heart rate.  If you have to sit up and put on a strap when lay back down for 5 minutes or so.  Do this for several days and take an average.  Elite athletes will be in the 30's and sedentary people could be in the 80-90 range.  Of course the lower the better.  This means your heart is pushing more blood and thus more efficient.  I'm a 54 RHR.

2011-12-29 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3960675

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
HelmoAlkou - 2011-12-30 7:41 AM

Another good way to measure heart health is by your rested heart rate, RHR.  And it's easy to find thus easy to monitor!

You can use your monitor or just check your pulse.  After a rested nights sleep, the first thing when you wake up in the morning (not to a blasting alarm clock and while your still horizontal) check your heart rate.  If you have to sit up and put on a strap when lay back down for 5 minutes or so.  Do this for several days and take an average.  Elite athletes will be in the 30's and sedentary people could be in the 80-90 range.  Of course the lower the better.  This means your heart is pushing more blood and thus more efficient.  I'm a 54 RHR.

This is very true. Resting HR is good to monitor if you are getting sick too. As long as you are taking it consistently, when you see it increase by more than about 10% it's a good sign you may be getting sick or overtrained. For instance I'm generally 50bpm plus or minus 2, but when I started to get sick it was at 54 for a couple of days then surely enough, woke up the next day with a cold (and a resting HR of 64).

2011-12-29 7:05 PM

Kenosha
thanks Stuart and Monty. I'll try monitoring that for a few days and see what it is. I'm always willing to learn something new and haven't tried this as a measure before. Tough RPM class tonight and probably a little polar issues as well and ended up 177 high 158 avg. Shirt was saturated just like I like it (I sweat allot and have to drink Gatorade or some other electrolyte replacement even in a 65 minute class. If not I end up with low sodium and potassium levels and my doc gets upset with me. Don't know if that's part of my diabetes or not but that's the way its been for at least 10th years. Being a multisport noob I have much to learn so I can extend to something longer than Opt in 2013. ill let you know in a few days what that morning heart rate is.Regards,John

Edited by John_S 2011-12-29 8:11 PM
2011-12-29 10:16 PM

User image

San Tan Valley, Arizona

When I am running, I often feel tense in my shoulders and arms. I usually relax them a bit, but 5 minutes or so later, I realize I am tense again. Not quite sure, but is there a trick to keeping your shoulders and arms relaxed? I guess just have to be more cognizant of it.

On another note, I have been training for the upcoming season for two months and in that time, I have broken out with acne. I am 32 and haven't had acne since I was a teenager. I shower after workouts and wear dry fit or sweat wick shirts? Anyone else have this problem?

2011-12-30 2:53 AM
in reply to: #3961249

User image

Regular

Hi James,

I am no expert that is for sure but I have been a runner for a long time-are your fists clenched? Relax your hands and shake them out every now and then until you learn to relax your shoulders and arms.

Hope that helps.

Had a great spin tonight with the tri group I belong to-but I think this is 3rd time now I have skipped the run after. I hate to run at night and in the cold. I am a Big baby! Time to be strong!

I freak out the drs and nurses with my pulse. Last time I went to the dr it was 38. The dr did not believe me that this was normal for me.

I am still so new at this I have not used my HR to guide me while I am working out, only percieved exertion. I don't know when to start using some of the things you guys talk about for training purposes. Right now my only goals are 1) to finish and 2) to improve my time from the last tri, which I did with the 2 I have done. So I guess I don't need to do that yet?

I am officially 53 today! I have thought all year that I was 53 after the triathlon in May when they wrote that on the back of my leg. That happened the year before too when I did the triathlon at the beginning of the summer. I am planning on celebrating with a run on the trail then a swim, then pizza, wine and a movie! (wine does go with pizza!)

Have a great day everyone!

Jan

2011-12-30 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park
So for those of you who are wondering. I didn't pass my PT test. This test was for a class I need so they will move me to a later class. My ? is I am 218 right now my Next PT test is Jan 17th ish and I am 3 % over my body fat % I am allowed. Im gonna start to incorporate P90X Ab ripper X in with my running. Right now I run Mon,Tue,Wed and Fri How many days should I do Abb ripper x with my running I want to be close to 200lbs and at least 3% less on my body fat before my next test. Any help would be great?
2011-12-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3961393

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
davisjanis58 - 2011-12-30 2:53 AM

I am still so new at this I have not used my HR to guide me while I am working out, only percieved exertion. I don't know when to start using some of the things you guys talk about for training purposes. Right now my only goals are 1) to finish and 2) to improve my time from the last tri, which I did with the 2 I have done. So I guess I don't need to do that yet?

I am officially 53 today! I have thought all year that I was 53 after the triathlon in May when they wrote that on the back of my leg. That happened the year before too when I did the triathlon at the beginning of the summer. I am planning on celebrating with a run on the trail then a swim, then pizza, wine and a movie! (wine does go with pizza!)

Jan

I used HR to guide me for 2 years. Last year, I knew my garmin's battery would not last an entire race, so I quit using it for 2 months of training and did not use it for the race. It was actually a little liberating not looking at my heart rate all of the time. I think I'll go with the same method this year. Use if for the first 4 months, and then stop using it. I know I won't use it for the races.

2011-12-30 8:12 AM

User image

San Tan Valley, Arizona

Jan -

Thank you. I will definitely do that. Normally I run with my hands slightly open, but I did notice this morning that they were real tense. I will shake out every now and then. Thanks for the advice.

Brandon -

I would incorporate the plyometrics disc too. That explosive movements will burn a lot of calories. Also watch the caloric intake until then. If you try and cut what you eat by 500 calories that might help. That is just a general guideline as I don't know what your intake is normally.
2011-12-30 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3961558

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

TriMan25 - 2011-12-30 7:35 AM So for those of you who are wondering. I didn't pass my PT test. This test was for a class I need so they will move me to a later class. My ? is I am 218 right now my Next PT test is Jan 17th ish and I am 3 % over my body fat % I am allowed. Im gonna start to incorporate P90X Ab ripper X in with my running. Right now I run Mon,Tue,Wed and Fri How many days should I do Abb ripper x with my running I want to be close to 200lbs and at least 3% less on my body fat before my next test. Any help would be great?

In my opinion, losing 18 pounds in 18 days and being successful on your PT test is probably not going to happen (safely).  You may be able to lose the weight, but you would have to cut some serious calories from your diet each day.  you would need to create a caloric deficit of AT LEAST 500 calories per day, while maintaining your running and exercising schedule. 

I too am trying to cut some BF% before my training picks up mid January.  Right now, my weight is a bit high, which I'm not too worried about, but I do want to drop some BF to help with my run times.  Once my training gets serious, the weight drops quickly. It sucks, but I am now starting to get into the more "restricted diet", where I basically limit my dinners with fewer carbs, and no eating past 7:30pm. I still maintain a consistent workout schedule, and make sure I fuel up before and after workouts, but overall eat less throughout the day. It seems to work for me.

I'm not sure what exactly the Ab Ripper DVD would do, other than build more abdominal muscles.  If I remember correctly, it's only 16 minutes long, and yes may target your abs, but you need to lose OVERALL body weight, not just in your midsection.  I too would recommend the plyo workout, or the kempo, which I thought was fun. Keep up with your running, try to incorporate some half mile intervals on some runs to help with some speed, and cut some calories.  Good luck to you!

2011-12-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3961598

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
RandyP1964 - 2011-12-30 8:08 AM
davisjanis58 - 2011-12-30 2:53 AM I am still so new at this I have not used my HR to guide me while I am working out, only percieved exertion. I don't know when to start using some of the things you guys talk about for training purposes. Right now my only goals are 1) to finish and 2) to improve my time from the last tri, which I did with the 2 I have done. So I guess I don't need to do that yet?

Jan

I used HR to guide me for 2 years. Last year, I knew my garmin's battery would not last an entire race, so I quit using it for 2 months of training and did not use it for the race. It was actually a little liberating not looking at my heart rate all of the time. I think I'll go with the same method this year. Use if for the first 4 months, and then stop using it. I know I won't use it for the races.

I totally agree with Randy.  I use my HR monitor for 95% of my training right now, and sometimes just wear the monitor and look at my HR data afterwords.  I think it can be a very useful tool during training, and can help track fitness improvements during training.  However, I too, usually do not use HR to race with.  This will be changing for my longer races this year, as I don't want to blow up early in my 70.3s, but overall I go by feel.  Again, I still wear the monitor for the data, but never look at the HR. If anything, I check overall time, cadence and pace during the race. Nothing else.

2011-12-30 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3961249

User image

Master
TORONTO
jeomphroy - 2011-12-29 11:16 PM

On another note, I have been training for the upcoming season for two months and in that time, I have broken out with acne. I am 32 and haven't had acne since I was a teenager. I shower after workouts and wear dry fit or sweat wick shirts? Anyone else have this problem?

I notice it after really long bike or runs.  Personally I think it's the gatorade (even though I dilute) and the gels mixed with sweat.  My forehead will break out with a bzillion little white heads.   Doesn't matter if I cleanse/shower immediately after.  Within 12 hours they are there.  I pop and cleanse and it's gone but ya... Monday mornings aren't pretty

2011-12-30 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3961393

User image

Master
TORONTO
davisjanis58 - 2011-12-30 3:53 AM

I train by RPE too!  I recall once using the HRM to guide my effort and I felt fine but was forced to walk.  I think if I listened to my HR I wouldn't get anything done!  And for me - I'm SOOOOO far away from a podium it just doesn't seem worth all the effort.  If I'm working - I'm happy.

Happy birthday!!

2011-12-30 9:41 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Hey everyone!  Hope the holidays were good.  I've been a bit silent as still on holidays but next week I start my cycling program and I signed up for a half mary at the end of Feb so... the time has come to get serious!  Hope everyone has a good NY and tick tock - the clock starts!!

2011-12-30 9:55 AM

New user
Swansea, IL

Brandon:

I echo what has already been said to a certain extent - trying to lose that much weight and/or BF is simply not realistic within that time frame.  Moreover, adding Ab Ripper X to your daily workout won't help much with your goal.  It's a great core strengthening program but will not burn calories as much as other forms of strength and cardio workouts.  The best way to lose weight by far is to clean up your diet.  You simply cannot out-exercise a poor diet.  Throw out as much processed crap as you can and concentrate on whole, natural foods - fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, beans and lean meats.  Try to have twice as many fruits/veggies as anything else.  If it comes in a bag or box, don't eat it.  It takes more time and a bit more effort to eat cleanly, but you'll notice the difference almost immediately.  Losing weight is a slow process and really involves a change in lifestyle rather than a brief change in your diet.  Good luck.

JRH

2011-12-30 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3961863

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
jrhesq - 2011-12-30 9:55 AM

Brandon:

I echo what has already been said to a certain extent - trying to lose that much weight and/or BF is simply not realistic within that time frame.  Moreover, adding Ab Ripper X to your daily workout won't help much with your goal.  It's a great core strengthening program but will not burn calories as much as other forms of strength and cardio workouts.  The best way to lose weight by far is to clean up your diet.  You simply cannot out-exercise a poor diet.  Throw out as much processed crap as you can and concentrate on whole, natural foods - fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, beans and lean meats.  Try to have twice as many fruits/veggies as anything else.  If it comes in a bag or box, don't eat it.  It takes more time and a bit more effort to eat cleanly, but you'll notice the difference almost immediately.  Losing weight is a slow process and really involves a change in lifestyle rather than a brief change in your diet.  Good luck.

JRH

I agree totally!  It's been said that your diet is 80% of your health and I believe it!  I dropped 40 pounds a few years ago.  I worked out, ran, cardio, group classes, lifted weights, etc., etc., etc.  But it wasn't until I cut out simple sugars, process foods, sauces, and started weighing my food and counting my calories that I could control exactly how much I lost or gained each week.  Any more than 3-5 pounds per week and you're probably loosing muscle with the fat.  For me, that's a big deal because I have a very hard time growing muscle.  I used http://dailyburn.com/ at the time to track my eating and calories.  It seemed the most accurate, easy to use, free, and has a huge food data base with most major restaurants.

2011-12-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3961811

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
kimmax - 2011-12-31 2:35 AM
davisjanis58 - 2011-12-30 3:53 AM

I train by RPE too!  I recall once using the HRM to guide my effort and I felt fine but was forced to walk.  I think if I listened to my HR I wouldn't get anything done!  And for me - I'm SOOOOO far away from a podium it just doesn't seem worth all the effort.  If I'm working - I'm happy.

Happy birthday!!

I'm the same, I'd be walking all the time if I used my HR as a guide. If I ever find my HR monitor again (put it somewhere so safe I can't find it and don't want to have to buy another!) I might have another go, but for now I'm happy to listen to how my body feels. Like you Marcia, as long as I'm training and putting an effort in to make it to the line in one piece, I'm happy.

Happy Birthday Jan, hope you had a great day!

2011-12-31 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just entered a training contest for the month of january for charity. Its how many ironman distances you can do in a month. It doesn't have to be at once just based on total training distance in the month and how many ironmans it totals, the mens winner was only 3 last year and I know I can easily beat that minus the running ;p and excuse to run more.
2011-12-31 10:40 AM

User image

San Tan Valley, Arizona
That sounds like a fun challenge. Best of luck to you.
Happy bated birthday Jan. hope it was amazing.

Going for my first 20 mile bike ride today. I have only done 10 miles in the past. Should be fun.

Everyone have a safe new years!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24