BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-01-04 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3971601

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

neumann_jc - 2012-01-04 7:06 PM I am ok to get back on the bike and in the pool again starting tomorrow morning. No running for a few weeks but I have some custom inserts being made that are supposed to really help. Back to it at 430 tomorrow. I might just go to bed soon to get there faster. Lol!

Nice.

Turn the injury into an opportunity! 

2012-01-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3959601

New user
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- OPEN

Eli - I am training hard for the Mary.  I want it with a vengence.  I made memories the last time.. literally took a picture of very mile marker on so on.  Finished with my son running with me.  Next year I will run it like a runner. 

I have to be ready to step in on the Sprint (kids have to complete it with an adult) but I would like to do an Oly if I can work it in.

M

2012-01-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3970095

New user
Lexi - on the droid have you tried pandora?  I have used it a couple times and as long as I have preset 'playlists' I am ok.. robzombie really works when I need to be motivated Surprised  Watch that the pace of the music doesnt push you too hard. 
2012-01-04 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3970095

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
eliwashere - 2012-01-04 8:07 AM
swim_turtle28 - 2012-01-03 9:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always one to get super amped at the beginning of races because of all the people and the general energy of the crowd and have started races to fast for my own good. It'll be tough not to get caught up but i'll just have to keep in mind that I've got plenty of miles and time to kick in the afterburners and push it to the limit.

I do have map my run, but i don't run with my smartphone because I've had issues trying to put music on it. It's a Droid Incredible 2. Does anybody know an easy way to put music on it? i downloaded the Verizon V-cast on my computer, but my computer is pretty old (got it as a graduation gift from highschool and it's going on about 5 years so.. might be time for an upgrade) and therefore slow.. somehow i do have some music on the phone but it's completely random and disorganized and i have no idea how it got there lol

Lexi,

Learning to pace is a huge thing for most races. It is easy to get excited and blow up.

As for music on the droid, I have had an HTC phone and a LG android phone. For both of them, the simplest way to get music on them was to connect them to the computer through USB, wait till they appear as a Hard drive (may require adjusting the settings on the phone) and then finding the Music folder.

This won't organize them, but it will get them on the phone. To organize, you need to have them in folders by artist, then by album, and it will show that way on your phone.

There are also other apps that will help manage this process. I haven't tried Verizon's product yet, but may try it later today.

What music software do you use on your PC? 

hmm I'll definitely have to try that. I use itunes as my music software on the computer and the last time i hooked up the phone it opened up Windows Media Player and since I'm an itunes kind of girl i didn't quite get the setup of WMP and don't know how to just make it so that it only syncs a certain playlist and not all of the music that is on my computer.. some jams just don't do it for me when it comes to working out lol

I'll give your suggestion a whirl and see if it behaves better for me. Thanks

2012-01-04 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3971654

User image

New user

Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-04 7:37 PM Lexi - on the droid have you tried pandora?  I have used it a couple times and as long as I have preset 'playlists' I am ok.. robzombie really works when I need to be motivated Surprised  Watch that the pace of the music doesnt push you too hard. 

I love 'Dragula' by Rob Zombie definitely one to get you motivated lol I like pandora, but sometimes maybe it's just because I don't fix my playlists the right way I get stuff on the station that's just not my bag and I'm searching for the advance button. I'll try to get online and really customize a new playlist to see if that brings any luck. thanks for the suggestion :D

2012-01-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3971761

User image

Master
swim_turtle28 - 2012-01-04 8:34 PM 

hmm I'll definitely have to try that. I use itunes as my music software on the computer and the last time i hooked up the phone it opened up Windows Media Player and since I'm an itunes kind of girl i didn't quite get the setup of WMP and don't know how to just make it so that it only syncs a certain playlist and not all of the music that is on my computer.. some jams just don't do it for me when it comes to working out lol

I'll give your suggestion a whirl and see if it behaves better for me. Thanks

It is harder with Droid and Itunes. There are apps, but you have to make sure it works for your phone. If the itunes song was a recent purchase, you can drag it over. If it was older (more than 18 months I think) it may not play because of DRM.

2012-01-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3971790

User image

Veteran
Central VA

400m swim at the Y this morning. First time in the pool since my bike accident and shoulder injury. Felt really good, much better than I expected. 

My first event is the end of April. Want to try to get to the pool at least once a week and increase the frequency in April.

45 min walk after breakfast to help the biscuit go down. (still trying to clean up my eating habits)

Looks like the upper 50's here this weekend. Bike will be back on the road. I'm logging an usually good bike mileage this winter with this warm weather.

2012-01-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3972434

User image

Master
pvfd304 - 2012-01-05 8:58 AM

400m swim at the Y this morning. First time in the pool since my bike accident and shoulder injury. Felt really good, much better than I expected. 

My first event is the end of April. Want to try to get to the pool at least once a week and increase the frequency in April.

45 min walk after breakfast to help the biscuit go down. (still trying to clean up my eating habits)

Looks like the upper 50's here this weekend. Bike will be back on the road. I'm logging an usually good bike mileage this winter with this warm weather.

Great news! I wouldn't do any sprints, but easy swimming might even help recovery.

I can't wait to get back in the water. It will probably be next week, as I have a little running to do this weekend.

2012-01-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Started the Jorge M cycling program today. First day (supposedly the easiest day) had me at a really good burn and sweat. I will keep you all updated on the hell this program is about to bring.

Also got in the pool. First time in over 3 months and I can definitely tell. 

Question for the group:

How are you supposed to 'kick' when you swim? Kick from the hip (locked knee)? Kick from the knee? And how many kicks per stroke? Once per stroke (left hand enter water, left foot kick, right hand enter water, right foot kick)? More?

2012-01-05 9:35 PM

User image

New user

Hey Justin!

I'm not the best kicker in the world, but don't kick with your knees. i'm trying to think of how to explain kicking without showing.. quite a challenge lol I don't know if this is gonna make sense, but a coach once told me it goes like a slight smooth rotation  1,2,3,(being in a neutral position about to transition slightly to the other side) 4,5,6. It's supposed to be kind of rotational i think.. I unno if that helps or if i'm totally off base, but I do know and have been told never kick with your knees. I usually have knees locked and toes pointed..

hope that helps :D good luck and once you start swimming some more it'll get better and you'll find what works for you and feels natural

2012-01-05 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3974062

User image

Master
swim_turtle28 - 2012-01-05 9:35 PM

Hey Justin!

I'm not the best kicker in the world, but don't kick with your knees. i'm trying to think of how to explain kicking without showing.. quite a challenge lol I don't know if this is gonna make sense, but a coach once told me it goes like a slight smooth rotation  1,2,3,(being in a neutral position about to transition slightly to the other side) 4,5,6. It's supposed to be kind of rotational i think.. I unno if that helps or if i'm totally off base, but I do know and have been told never kick with your knees. I usually have knees locked and toes pointed..

hope that helps :D good luck and once you start swimming some more it'll get better and you'll find what works for you and feels natural

I was going to say the opposite, but then started to think more about how I kick. I kick from the hips, as that is how I kick when I scuba dive with fins.

Also found this site which is interesting

http://tri4health.com/2008/08/04/the-swimming-kick/

2012-01-05 10:33 PM

User image

Master

OK party people,

You are on your own for the weekend! Get your game on and get in a workout or two. Make yourself feel good.

Nick and I are running from Miami to Key West, so I need to get some sleep!

2012-01-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3974131

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-01-05 8:33 PM

OK party people,

You are on your own for the weekend! Get your game on and get in a workout or two. Make yourself feel good.

Nick and I are running from Miami to Key West, so I need to get some sleep!

Good luck on the race you guys!!I've got my Xterra half marathon on Sunday. 4000 feet of climbing!!! Gonna get a swim and run today maybe spin tonight then Rest for Sunday.
2012-01-06 12:08 PM

OK I get paid today so I am going to upgrade my gym membership to the one with pool and get back into swimming for the first time in a year.  Yikes!  Also I am taking my friend bike shopping on Sunday and then I am going to take her for ride.  Super excited.  Also-I am so excited for the wether this weekend.  It will give me a goog chance to run and ride.  I am finally settled back in at work and ready to do this.  Happy Friday!
2012-01-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3974131

New user
Good luck and have fun at your race...
2012-01-07 1:49 PM

User image

Well I've been avoiding posting largely because I was afraid of how today would play out.  I've been having knee pain while running for about 2 months and I finally saw a chiro who could try to clear it up (been going to doctors and PT before the chiro).  She worked on me 2 days ago and said to go run today and see how it feels.

I wanted to do 5 miles and break a 9 mm average and I'm happy to say I got both... 5 miles in 42 minutes!  I had slight pressure where the knee pain used to be but it was the first time I've run more than 3 miles without pain in 2 months...felt great.  My breathing didn't seem to take too large of a hit which was also encouraging as I was worried about that too.

It seems I'm back in business.  I'll probably do a 4 or so in on Monday and see how everything feels and then back to the chiro on Wednesday to make sure everything is still where it should be.

2012-01-07 3:51 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
So after 8 days of strep / sinus infection I finally got my butt off the sofa and knocked out 5 miles this morning.  Weather is great, mid 60's with sun and a slight drizzle, perfect.  Time wasn't the best, 65 minutes, but with a goofy HR and all the snot exiting my lungs and head I can't complain too much.  On a side note, I finally talked one of my friends into the Double Bridge Run in Pensacola in a few weeks.  We figured that since we were going to Mobile to pick up our Mardi Gras costumes we may as well go down a day early and run the bridges.  So....Lexi, we will possibly see ya there.  Full routine starts back Monday, my wife and another couple are starting C25K so Ill meet up with them at some point and combine our runs.  Oh, and I may an impulse buy of a Qunitana Roo on Friday.  It's used but in good condition and for $300 it will either serve as a back up or I'll sell it to a buddy who is thinking of taking the plunge.
2012-01-07 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Great news Dave.  Must feel great!  Ease back in and you'll be back in no time...

Neil, I always love my post sickness runs.  Not very pretty but you know you're on the mend when you can get out!

I've got my Xterra 21k tomorrow morn.  Gonna be steep and technical.  I can't wait!!!

2012-01-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3977311

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Thanks Mitch!!!

Good luck and more importantly....Have fun tomorrow!!!

2012-01-08 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Well, I'm not going to say I have bad news, but not good news, that's for sure.  It seems I Broke my big toe on my race today.  This was such an amazing trail and I think I was too much in my Zen. 

I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise.  I really need to work on my bike and swim as running is my best discipline.  Time to get in the water and get on the bike as soon as I can. 

All things aside I'm still very pumped from this run today.  It was insane. I'll write a race report soon

2012-01-08 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3978503

User image

Wetumpka, AL
Hate to hear that Mitch.  But its great that you have such a positive attitude towards the events that transpired.  

2012-01-09 8:08 AM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
Good Monday to everyone!!!!  I have your Monday morning funny to carry you through the day.  Last night as it was raining I thought I heard a drip in the attic, so, I went to investigate.  Well apparently the joist I planned on stepping on to get to the area was only a kicker and when I transferred my weight onto it I ended up in my kitchen.  After 5 hours at the ER last night I came home with bruised ribs, cuts and scrapes to my legs and back, an updated Tetanus and lots of pain meds.  I hope my fall from grace will lighten your days like it has all of my other friends and especially my mom.  Stay safe!!
2012-01-09 8:38 AM

Oh my goodness that super sucks!  I hope you feel better soon.  Bruised ribs are the worst.  I broke one this summer going ove rthe handle bars of my bike.  I hope they gave the best pain meds!

And I was going to come in and say what a great weekend I had.  I got my friend a new bike and by default have a new (decidely slower) training buddy.  It's nice though b/c I am helping her with the biking and she is a swimmer so she gets to help me with that.  And we can figure out this running thing together.  Hope everyone is ready for the week ahead!

2012-01-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3979280

New user
Ouch.. Heal fast.  I will admit I am a tad clumsy but you have me beat on this one.
2012-01-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3977007

User image

New user

bufit - 2012-01-07 3:51 PM So after 8 days of strep / sinus infection I finally got my butt off the sofa and knocked out 5 miles this morning.  Weather is great, mid 60's with sun and a slight drizzle, perfect.  Time wasn't the best, 65 minutes, but with a goofy HR and all the snot exiting my lungs and head I can't complain too much.  On a side note, I finally talked one of my friends into the Double Bridge Run in Pensacola in a few weeks.  We figured that since we were going to Mobile to pick up our Mardi Gras costumes we may as well go down a day early and run the bridges.  So....Lexi, we will possibly see ya there.  Full routine starts back Monday, my wife and another couple are starting C25K so Ill meet up with them at some point and combine our runs.  Oh, and I may an impulse buy of a Qunitana Roo on Friday.  It's used but in good condition and for $300 it will either serve as a back up or I'll sell it to a buddy who is thinking of taking the plunge.

AWESOME! Hope to see ya there. I'm so excited/nervous about the run. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Sorry about your fall in your house. Frown hope you start feeling better.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16