BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-01-18 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3943815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - CLOSED

on counting laps, I got lucky and have an incredibly supportive wife that loves to buy me gadgets!  I used to struggle and look at timing and use my stopwatch, and always forget during long sessions.  It bugged me and I'm sure that I rarely had a swim session that was aligned with the intended goals (not sure how much that mattered since that year was my best year of swimming yet)...

... then came fathers day last year and my Swimsense, and with the recent upgrade to the autolap functionality and the user definable fields, I don't even think about it anymore.  A quick glance tells me current set distance, and current set time, and inbetween, a quick button push gives me total distance and time. 

Not a perfect, easy or cheap solution, but it works for me!

2012-01-18 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3997121

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
melanfi - 2012-01-18 10:28 AM

Some people use pennies stacked at the end of the pool or little lap counters on your finger that you hit with your thumb.

Keeping count of laps in my head is something to keep my mind busy during all the laps. I also keep my eye on the poolside digital clock,  which gives me a sanity-check for my lap count. Basically, if I did 300 yds in 5 minutes, I probably missed a lap. But if I did it in 5:50, and I felt fast, that means my count was ok. 

I count every length of my 25 yd pool. I know that going up is an odd number and coming back is even. I make a mental note of each 100 yds.

X2....I kind of know where I am in relation to time.  I usually count each 100 (or 4 lengths of the pool in a 25 yd pool).  If I am somewhere around 1:45-2:00 for each 100 I know I haven't screwed up my count.

As far as cramping and the other posting, I also agree with Birkie on the electrolyte thing.  I rarely experience cramping in my legs....ever.  But all of a sudden I started getting them in my arch when I swam.  I narrowed it down to the push off from the wall and even started to experiment without pushing off at all and suddenly they went away.  I gradually built back to where I could push more aggressively and no longer have that issue.  I think the more you swim, the less you will have that problem (if at all).

2012-01-18 3:01 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

OK...lets post some pics......favorite race pic of yourself, favorite training routes/swims, pic of your bike...whatever

2012-01-18 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3997897

User image

Veteran
Birkierunner - 2012-01-18 4:01 PM

OK...lets post some pics......favorite race pic of yourself, favorite training routes/swims, pic of your bike...whatever

I tried to do that the other day... and I couldn't figure it out. Is there a secret? Is it one of the formatting icons?

2012-01-18 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Here's a tip I just started using...

I just started using the best method, because I have the same problem. I count laps by letter, going alphabetically. So 40 laps (1000m) would be A-Z and then A-N. I think of words starting with the letter of the lap I am on while I am swimming, and it turns into a sort of mantra. 

A- achieve

B-be better

C-challenge yourself

D-dont stop

Etc

etc.

I had some major cramping in my iron man swim as well.  My Masters coach says it's from lack of flexibility in my lower legs, calves and feet.  I now

2012-01-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3997250

User image

Greenville, SC
ball6135 - 2012-01-18 12:20 PM

on counting laps, I got lucky and have an incredibly supportive wife that loves to buy me gadgets!  I used to struggle and look at timing and use my stopwatch, and always forget during long sessions.  It bugged me and I'm sure that I rarely had a swim session that was aligned with the intended goals (not sure how much that mattered since that year was my best year of swimming yet)...

... then came fathers day last year and my Swimsense, and with the recent upgrade to the autolap functionality and the user definable fields, I don't even think about it anymore.  A quick glance tells me current set distance, and current set time, and inbetween, a quick button push gives me total distance and time. 

Not a perfect, easy or cheap solution, but it works for me!

Swimsense....I knew there had to be an expensive way for me to figure out how many laps I swam (is that a word?)!!!  Excellent. (Sarcasm)  Before I buy something like that, does the Garmin 910 do the same thing?  I have a 610 and was thinking about getting the 910.

Pics.....I think I have one.  How do you post pics...cant figure it out.

2012-01-18 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

oh goll, counting laps...  I've tried the alphabet thing, it actually distracts me and I find it harder to know how many laps I have left (it makes me happy to know the "laps left" number is going down!)  So I've reverted to just plain old counting.  It distracts me, but not so much that I can keep track.  I usually get a beat going (like saying twen-ty-one over three strokes repeated down the whole length) and I know that down is odd and back is even so that helps me know I haven't skipped any numbers.  It gets boring on those long slow days when you have to count to 140, but thank goodness that only happens about once every 2 or 3 weeks

I like smoothies after workouts too.  I use frozen fruit, full fat yogert or full fat COCONUT MILK (try it - delish!) (just a little bit, though - the fat is a good thing, but in moderation) and then add my recovery/protein powder and juice to get it to the consistency I like- YUM!!! (I also like ramen, kraft spiral mac and cheese and mtn dew on those LONG bike or run days - kinda my reward and I crave the salt - so satisfying, but kinda naughty!)

2012-01-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3997947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Yes, from what I can tell (don't have a 910), it will do 95% of what the swimsense does.  Jeff... you may have more insight on that?
2012-01-18 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3995505

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - OPEN
Birkierunner - 2012-01-17 3:08 PM
melanfi - 2012-01-17 1:24 PM
CoachH - 2012-01-17 2:06 PM
Birkierunner - 2012-01-17 12:37 PM
CoachH - 2012-01-17 10:44 AM

BUT, have to get over this swim fear.  

ANY help would be appreciated....Looking forward to it.  

Thanks for posting the bio Marcelo.  Can you expand on the "swim fear" issue?  Is it the mass start swim in races that you don't like or is it a general uneasiness in the water?

Swimming is my weakness...ows just doesn't seem to happen for me...as it is, all my swim workouts are broken down into 200s, 150s, at most 300s...but once i get into ow, it just doesn't happen.

I entered a small 400 ows last spring and made it ok through 300...after that, it was a struggle...not so much the mass starts, just making it through the length itself...

Hope this helps...

I just cross-posted with you. That's a bummer that you don't have an opportunity to practice the ows, but really it sounds like you would benefit from building up your distance. I also like to group my workout into separate pieces like 300yd warm-up, 50-100-150-200-150-100-50, then a cool-down of maybe 100 yds. Or check out a website like swimplan.com to get yourself a customized workout to do each week.

Another thing that helped me last year was joining a women's tri training group.

What she said....!!!!  Yep, it basically sounds like a swim fitness issue.  I was worried you had a fear of open water swimming itself, and I wouldn't be much help there other than to say take baby steps until you are accustomed to open water.  But, what you describe can easily be diagnosed as lacking in swim fitness.  There is no way around that other than to get time in the water.  What is your average swim workout like as far as total time and yardage?  Personally, I hate the pool....hate it...hate it....hate that black line at the bottom of the pool.....LOVE open water swimming.  BUT..for me the pool is a necessary evil.  I think there are tons of swim workouts out there because people try to distract you with complicated workouts to get around the dirty little secret that everyone tries to hide....swimming in the pool is extremely boring (unless you were a swimmer and racer as a kid and its like second nature to you).  I don't get fancy with my workouts....you could say they are boring as well.  My speed workouts are 50s or 100s and my longer workouts are either 500s in the pool or out and backs in the lake I train on (about an 11 minute lap). 

As you get more swim fitness you won't be bonking after 300 m. 

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the pool! It's true, the first swim workout after a long time not swimming is exhausting. But the good news is the swim endurance builds quickly. Speed is another matter (or so I hear). I also do not do a lot of varied swim workouts. I'll either do a block of laps or a block of time, With the occasional block of sprints.
2012-01-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3997938

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-18 4:16 PM

Here's a tip I just started using...

I just started using the best method, because I have the same problem. I count laps by letter, going alphabetically. So 40 laps (1000m) would be A-Z and then A-N. I think of words starting with the letter of the lap I am on while I am swimming, and it turns into a sort of mantra. 

A- achieve

B-be better

C-challenge yourself

D-dont stop

Etc

etc.

I had some major cramping in my iron man swim as well.  My Masters coach says it's from lack of flexibility in my lower legs, calves and feet.  I now

Great tip! I'll have to try that. I always end up guessing how far I've swum.
2012-01-18 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3997897

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Birkierunner - 2012-01-18 3:01 PM

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling.  Posting and linking pictures is not very intuitive in BT and then on top of it they have a limit on the size of the picture (which I can't remember what it is).  So if you picture is too big you have to resize it using microsoft picture editor or some other tool.  The picture needs to reside somewhere online (BT or some other photo site) and then you post the picture by referencing the URL for that picture.  Kind of a PITA process that I am hoping they change in future releases of this site.

Anyway, here is a picture from my Ironman 70.3 at Racine.  I am coming out of Lake Michigan and what I really enjoy is the super-masculine-looking pink swim cap they gave me for this race! 

2012-01-18 7:00 PM

User image

Greenville, SC

How do I attach a picture to a thread?
Before you 'Submit', you can check the box 'attach file after posting?'  You will then be able to upload your picture.  MAX size is 100kb.  Supported formats are .gif, .jpeg and .bmp.

Nice!  How do you like your xterra?  I just ordered one....dont know much about wetsuits but have heard good things.  

Edited by NeverEnough 2012-01-18 7:26 PM
2012-01-18 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3998382

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
NeverEnough - 2012-01-18 7:00 PM

Nice!  How do you like your Xterra wetsuit?  I just ordered one.  Seemed like a good deal for 63% off.....I know nothing about wetsuits but they seem to get good reviews?

So you just put the link of the picture in the body of the message?

I will try it.....my first half marathon.  October.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74645933@N05/6723012167/

EDIT:  Guess it didnt work.  Where do you reference the picture?

Love the xterra wetsuit....you'll love it.  Can't beat the deal on those suits and the company is very reputable and reliable.  It's a good purchase my friend....can't go wrong. 

When you are creating the post, on the toolbar there is an icon Insert/Edit image (looks like a little tree).  When you click that you get a popup that contains a field called "Image URL".  Just put the URL in there and you are good to go.  It'll ask you to save a description or some other nonsense which you can ignore.  Let me know if that works?

2012-01-18 7:51 PM

User image

Greenville, SC

PITA is an understatement.

Edited by NeverEnough 2012-01-18 7:52 PM
2012-01-18 8:40 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
This is my new bike.  Last year I spent the season on my husband's bike.  I wasn't sure this was something I would want to keep doing, so I used his bike.  He is 6 feet tall and I'm 5'4".  Obviously, it didn't fit.  I LOVE my new bike.  I went from riding my husband's carbon fiber Trek to my aluminum Cannondale CAAD 10.  It's unbelievable how a well fit bike makes a difference.  I keep telling everyone that my bike could go up the hills by itself.  I live around the Kettle Moraine state forest and there is no such thing as a flat ride or run.  I have A LOT of big hills, so having a bike that goes uphill by itself it helpful!!!

(IMG_1214.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1214.jpg (11KB - 10 downloads)
2012-01-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3998349

User image

West Bend, WI
My brother also had the super masculine pink swim cap for the Ironman Racine 70.3.  We had a great time giving him crap while standing on the beach drinking our coffee and being lazy.

Edited by JKreuzig 2012-01-18 9:00 PM

2012-01-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3998382

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
NeverEnough - 2012-01-18 5:00 PM

How do I attach a picture to a thread?
Before you 'Submit', you can check the box 'attach file after posting?'  You will then be able to upload your picture.  MAX size is 100kb.  Supported formats are .gif, .jpeg and .bmp.

Nice!  How do you like your xterra?  I just ordered one....dont know much about wetsuits but have heard good things.  

I use one as well and absolutely love it.

2012-01-18 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
My favorite picture of all
2012-01-19 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran

I'll try posting a pic this evening after I load some onto a website. Currently, I only use Shutterfly to order photos and photo books, but I'm not sure that counts as a photo sharing site like Flikr or similar. What do you guys use to share pics online?

I started my bridge run training group last week after missing the first week. We did 400 meter repeats with 400 meter recoveries. It was great! I tell you, I would never... and I repeat... NEVER run that hard unless there were people around watching me. So this class is great for me, because I really give 100% and try to do my best every time.

Another man in our class (who I remember from class last year, too) is an avid marathon runner. I saw him last weekend at the Charleston marathon, and he told me about how for the past years, he has just maintained his conditioning to the point where he could do a half marathon any time, and then he ramps up his training from Sept - December to be marathon ready from Dec - spring. He looks to be around 65 years old, and his running style is not loose and fluid, rather more stiff and forward-leaning. But he can book! I was using him as my pacer for the 400 yd repeats, and it was all I could do to keep up with him. So anyway, I just found it inspiring to talk to someone a bit older who is such an avid runner.

I might be able to fit in a swim tonight. I hope so.

2012-01-19 7:35 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Here's a pic of me dismounting my Felt DA just before the bike dismount line coming into T2 at Timberman (MN) Oly in 2010.  The camera guy caught me at just the right moment.

2012-01-19 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3998120

User image

Expert

ball6135 - 2012-01-18 4:30 PM Yes, from what I can tell (don't have a 910), it will do 95% of what the swimsense does.  Jeff... you may have more insight on that?

The 910 does keep track of laps, similar to the Swimsense.  From what I have read, it does a very good job at it as well.  (This is one of the features that I am using as a reason to upgrade)

That being said, another option is the Finis Lapmate - Cowboom is just Best Buys warehouse type store, so it is reputable.  I just ordered this the other day when it was the deal of the day for 5 bucks, have yet to test it out, but plan on firing it up next week.  A heck of a lot cheaper than the other options, it just doesn't allow you to upload the data if that is what you are into.

2012-01-19 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3998565

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

JKreuzig - 2012-01-18 8:40 PM This is my new bike.  Last year I spent the season on my husband's bike.  I wasn't sure this was something I would want to keep doing, so I used his bike.  He is 6 feet tall and I'm 5'4".  Obviously, it didn't fit.  I LOVE my new bike.  I went from riding my husband's carbon fiber Trek to my aluminum Cannondale CAAD 10.  It's unbelievable how a well fit bike makes a difference.  I keep telling everyone that my bike could go up the hills by itself.  I live around the Kettle Moraine state forest and there is no such thing as a flat ride or run.  I have A LOT of big hills, so having a bike that goes uphill by itself it helpful!!!

Nice looking bike and and I'm sure your riding will be much more enjoyable with that vs something for a 6" man!  I just noticed you are in West Bend.  I'm just south of you in Menomonee Falls.  Small world it is.

2012-01-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3998565

User image

Veteran

JKreuzig - 2012-01-18 9:40 PM This is my new bike.  Last year I spent the season on my husband's bike.  I wasn't sure this was something I would want to keep doing, so I used his bike.  He is 6 feet tall and I'm 5'4".  Obviously, it didn't fit.  I LOVE my new bike.  I went from riding my husband's carbon fiber Trek to my aluminum Cannondale CAAD 10.  It's unbelievable how a well fit bike makes a difference.  I keep telling everyone that my bike could go up the hills by itself.  I live around the Kettle Moraine state forest and there is no such thing as a flat ride or run.  I have A LOT of big hills, so having a bike that goes uphill by itself it helpful!!!

That's a good looking bike!

2012-01-19 12:30 PM

User image

Me finishing the Mighty Hamptons Triathlon, my face says it all. had a tough bike ride but managed to have a solid but very tiring 10K run

(0045.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0045.jpg (66KB - 8 downloads)
2012-01-19 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3994619

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: gps-heart monitor
Birkierunner - 2012-01-17 8:52 AM
NeverEnough - 2012-01-16 8:10 AM
brick0572 - 2012-01-16 8:51 AM

Quick question, I am looking at getting a GPS-heart rate monitor and I am stuck.  I have done so much research that I think it has just made me more confused.  I have it down to the the Garmin 305 or the Timex Global.  Has anyone had any luck with either of these and which one would you consider. 

I have had 3 Running watches.GPS/HRM.  Garmin was the most reliable for me.  I was looking at the 305 and then saw the newer 910.  I am going with the 910.  My buddy who has done two IMs has the 305 and said it is great.  He doesn't where it in open water swims because he doesnt trust the quick release mechanism.   

The UPS man delivered my new Garmin 910XT yesterday!!

I meant to comment on this a while back.  Let us know how you like it.  I am most interested in the features and functionality of it in the water.  Does it also do a lot more on the run/bike than say, the 305 I have?  Keep us updated because that is one slick unit.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14