Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2011-12-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3959948

User image

Master
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-CLOsED for xmas
Kate_r - 2011-12-29 12:19 PM

Catching up on the strength thread, I've heard what others have said regarding contributing to overall strength for s/b/r. Although I haven't this year I am planning on working more on some functional strength work particularly on my core and my legs. My knees are relatively weak and I need to stabilise the muscles through squats and lunges, my core is also relatively weak and I hope that by working on this I can improve posture on the bike and rotation in the pool. The plan is to add these in on a daily or 5 times a week basis in addition to the main sessions and will include anything I can do while travelling. If I can I'll make the blog on here a diary so I can log my progress. 

As an aside - what's FTP?

In terms of volume goals for the year it's pretty hard for me to quantify just yet and I'm not even sure that I want to. I work away so much that I really don't need the additional pressure of constant failure. I have plans for the number of runs minimum per week for Jan (4) as I can keep this up even when away and my aim is to get under 30 min for a 5k by Sept. I also want to hold a plank for a minute - small goals I'm sure compared to the rest of you but they matter to me. My biggest goal is to loose the extra weight and keep that off. This will take constant vigilence on my cardio and nutrition but it's my main focus at the moment. 

I know all the above is a miss match with some of your efforts but it's what drives me and also what makes me Tri so it's worth it in my book. 

FTP is Functional Threshold Power http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/functhresh.htm

It is helpful in setting target levels for training using a power meter. It is about the same idea as using a heart rate monitor . I don't think you need to stress over it at this point but for me it gives me an idea where my cycling fitness is and what effort levels will help me train more efficiently. The reality is just riding more is more important  

2011-12-29 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3944639

As far as heart rate monitors go,is is something I should invest into. I been looking at them and are quite pricey. As for my performance right now seems decent for early in the year and pase seems adequate with hopes to get faster as training increases. I feel like right now my bike is my worst discipline, just slow. I bought a used road bike but would a Tri bike or puting aero bars on it be more beneficial? I know this post is many different tangents but I have so many questions.
2011-12-29 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Kate - all your goals are important to us. I'm just trying to get everyone to add a measure of accountability for whatever they pursue. Until its written or spoken, the goal can't be tracked or reported on. That's why Im leaving to y'all to decide what kind of goals you are wanting support and accountability with. Some need that external more than others. But I want everyone here to feel their pursuits are noble.On the issue of budgeting applied to tri, I think you don't need w power meter or heart rate monitor. You can train by perceived effort. More training better than less but you can fine tune training somewhat to get extra benefits that aren't necessary. Aero is always better than non aero as a rule. However, again, it all depends on how bad you want to shave time. Realistically some upgrades help more than others but on a tight budget you can still have a lot of fun, improve performance, and bargain shop.
2011-12-29 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3960841

User image

Master

hoale1985 - 2011-12-29 6:12 PM As far as heart rate monitors go,is is something I should invest into. I been looking at them and are quite pricey. As for my performance right now seems decent for early in the year and pase seems adequate with hopes to get faster as training increases. I feel like right now my bike is my worst discipline, just slow. I bought a used road bike but would a Tri bike or puting aero bars on it be more beneficial? I know this post is many different tangents but I have so many questions.

I peeked at your logs. You are far from slow.  You don't have to have a HR monitor, powermeter or GPS watch to go fast but I will mention the Amazon.com deal of the day is a Timex IM GPS watch for $100. Not a bad price.

Edited by pschriver 2011-12-29 6:27 PM
2011-12-29 6:32 PM

User image

Master
2011-12-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3959878

User image

Regular
Spokane

Hello peeps! Just thought I would check in to & complain about being sick today. So I didn't go for my planned 4.5 mile run and I may even skip my swim later tonight.  I've got a sore throat and a fever. Copious amounts of chlorine helps with flu like symptoms right? I may end up going just so I can feel somewhat productive. It didn't help that I had an absolutely crazy day at work.

Hey Slayer, I've got a few questions for you: When you say "to go all in" are you talking about training or racing? I ask this because of your other point of racing to your fitness. With me being so new at this sport, how do I know where my fitness is?  I've been wondering how I would determine my pace for a HIM.  With the sprint/olympic races I've decided to race all out. How do I learn to leave everything out on the course for the HIM without blowing up? I currently use a hrm but I have yet to do an LT test.  I thought I would wait for my first sprint and extrapolate data from there. My main purpose of a hrm now is to correlate it to my RPE. In the long run, I think I would prefer to race by feel. I'm still undecided on this.

Also, do I really need a plan for a HIM? I feel like if I just take the most difficult workouts from plans I've been looking at and implement those into my current training it may serve me ok. Which leads me to your request for goals.  

My initial goals are right in line with Peter's:

Run 25 miles per week/ 100+ per month.

Bike 5 hours per week - This will happen when the weather cooperates in the Spring. I plan on at least 2 century rides this year as well.

Swim 7k per week

I'm having a hard time following a concrete plan right now.  I just want to view my training as FUN not as something I have to do. But, I feel very motivated to train. Putting in the time (when I have it) is not an issue with me.

Sorry to be so long winded...

2011-12-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3960943

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga

Anyone on here use this watch on reg basis? I tried one out and found the GPS to be very sketchy. Slayer can vouch for this. But if they are now reliable, $99 is a steal.

2011-12-29 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3961115

User image

Master
jlbyce - 2011-12-29 9:48 PM

Anyone on here use this watch on reg basis? I tried one out and found the GPS to be very sketchy. Slayer can vouch for this. But if they are now reliable, $99 is a steal.

I have no first hand info but the price is good

2011-12-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3961115

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
jlbyce - 2011-12-29 9:48 PM

My wifes watch still gets crappy reception.

2011-12-29 9:33 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga
On an unrelated note, todays trail run put me over 1k for the year.
2011-12-29 10:23 PM

First I want to congratulate jibyce on the 1k mark, quite an achievement! Thanks for the info on the hrm,looking into it currently. They claim some new firmware for the satellite acquisition has been improved as of October.

2011-12-29 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Just preparing for the long(est) run ever - 28k.

@littlewj - It's no brainer to say that training volume best reflects the outcome of your race. All the suggested training plans are posted by people who have experience in the area. Pulling out the hardest volume training from these plans may be an unwise choice. Can you put an example of a week's training how would you do it (fit this into your schedule), with an example of training plan you've got it from?

@slayer - sorry for invading the above question, but I'm interested.

2011-12-30 6:40 AM

User image

Elite
SE

I am not totally sure what youa re asking about HIM preparation/readiness. Basically in all races you are learning what you can throw down for the duration of the event in terms of energy. Its a complicated algebraic equation.

In long course, assuming you keep your swim manageable in terms of output and don't go anaerobic, your goal is to ride as hard as you can that you can run solidly. Many of us either over cook the bike and suffer on the run or undercook the bike/run and have too much left over at the end of the day.

I agree that volume is a great predictor of fitness and what you can handle on long course race day. Build it progressively, and test it all out with longer bricks, as well as long rides and short runs after. The only true way to find out what you can handle is to race the distance, but I would say to do it conservatively at first (complete), then move to more aggressive (compete). Fine tuning short course performance is similar. You can hammer a sprint or olympic/International bike and end up walking some of the run if you are not careful. Does that answer your question or do you need more details?

On the watch, I think the garmin 310xt used market is the best value going right now. SImply put, Timex was not up to my standard. Well done to you guys getting runs, spins, weight loss, and annual volume records! I am needing 47 more miles on a bike to break 7k and it may be a push because I am nowhere near my bikes!

EDIT to ADD: How did that longest run ever go Gladiator? You are never invading. My mentor threads are inclusive. You all are viewed as a great sources to me and each other.

Edited by phatknot 2011-12-30 6:42 AM
2011-12-30 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3961141

User image

Veteran

I have the Timex GPS since the summer. I am pretty happy with it. Gives me all the info needed. I have read that the GPS is not as accurate as others, but all GPS have some inaccuracy, especially when running on trails or in cities with large buildings that can interfere.

I just purchased an Ant+ Speed and Cadence sensor for my bike and so can now also get the speed and cadence on the watch too. Puts all the info in one place.

The biggest downfall for the Timex device is the battery life. 12-14 hrs seems to be the max at the moment. This doesn't go well for my IM pace, as I think I will be closer to 15hrs. However for training and use as a measure for HR, Pace, Distance etc it will do the job. At $100 it's a good price (I paid $275CDN and that was a great price at the time).

I'll add my goals in my next update.

2011-12-30 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3961458

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga
richtherunner - 2011-12-30 7:42 AM

I have the Timex GPS since the summer. I am pretty happy with it. Gives me all the info needed. I have read that the GPS is not as accurate as others, but all GPS have some inaccuracy, especially when running on trails or in cities with large buildings that can interfere.

I just purchased an Ant+ Speed and Cadence sensor for my bike and so can now also get the speed and cadence on the watch too. Puts all the info in one place.

The biggest downfall for the Timex device is the battery life. 12-14 hrs seems to be the max at the moment. This doesn't go well for my IM pace, as I think I will be closer to 15hrs. However for training and use as a measure for HR, Pace, Distance etc it will do the job. At $100 it's a good price (I paid $275CDN and that was a great price at the time).

Do you have any issues getting the satellites at the beginning of a workout? That was my biggest issue. It wouldnt find the sats until well into the run. Did the firmware resolve that for you?

2011-12-30 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3961560

User image

Veteran
jlbyce - 2011-12-30 8:36 AM

Do you have any issues getting the satellites at the beginning of a workout? That was my biggest issue. It wouldnt find the sats until well into the run. Did the firmware resolve that for you?

I don't usually have an issue grabbing a satellite. I usually turn on the watch on my drive to my run location and by the time I get there the satellite is acquired, HRM is locked and loaded. I have even had it acquire indoors when I do a spin session at a warehouse, and I was 4 bikes over from any windows. Maybe up here in Canada the satellites are easier to acquire ?

I did firmware update when I first got the watch, in the summer, haven't updated it since.

2011-12-30 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3961560

User image

Master
jlbyce - 2011-12-30 8:36 AM

That's an issue with all GPS units. They are getting better and faster at locating satellites than they used to be. Some of the older units would take 5-10 minutes easily. I just got in the habit of turning mine on and setting it in a clear high place while I got the rest of my junk together. Once the unit acquires the sats it should be fine. If they drop the signals frequently , that is a problem. The fuzzy logic that makes them fairly worthless on a track is also a common problem.

I don't want to sound like I am pushing the Timex. Somebody e-mailed the deal to me and it looked good. I am a big fan of the Garmins and have/had 3 of them. I agree the 310 is a great unit. There is a free one at the bottom of lake Hartwell. Even a 201 or 205 that works would be great . The 910 that is coming out will probably be my next big purchase. I'm just waiting to let everybody else enjoy the bugs first.

2011-12-30 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Slayer thanks for all the info.

I guess one of my biggest problems during races is getting excited and going out way to fast and then my race goes to crap. I did a sprint TRI just for fun about 1 month before Placid and only a 325 swim...went out so fast on the swim that I was so gassed coming out of the water I couldn't pedal the bike for about 3 miles or so the bike was only 11 miles so there went that race...I turned it into a training day.

I will say I like to set goals and "GO all in" and everyone's go all in goals are way different. Mine was to do the Montreal half in under 6 hours...I finished in 6:00:30 and felt terrible even though it was my best half race ever. I had tears in my eyes for not breaking the 6 hour mark....the next weekend bike crash and put everything in perspective.

I guess my goals are:
1) get consistant with training again
I always enjoyed the training much more than the actual races.
2) have fun
Want to enter a few Tri's just for fun and to get back into with the goal eing IMFL 2013
which is the race I was training for when bike accident occured
3) complete the Marine Corps Marathon in October
I was in the Marine Corps from 1984-1988 so a race I have always wanted to do.

On a good note: I have a meeting with my TRI coach next Wednesday.
2011-12-30 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran

31k – 03:07:25

My run went better than the last big one (25k). I've ran circles on the course I usually run at (6.4k per circle). This choice's advantage is that I paused at every circle, got some hydration and nutrition from my car and continued on, which is different in relation to running from point A to B with  hydration belt. I felt this would be a wiser choice.

So at fourth lap my friend joined me. After 20k i.e  after the third lap I changed my socks (also an advantage of the course choice) and I have to say it was a great decision. My feet obviously swell and I felt a huge blister on my toe, but when I put the other socks, it didn't hurt so much. We didn't finish the fifth lap completely (1k less). I felt it would be a smart cohice, because I've already gone above the distance I planned to do. My feet were in pain. After the third lap I changed my clothes. Weather was cold, but not windy. It rained slightly for almost an hour. My friend helped me very much in these last 10k. Don't know what should I do in the future with the socks. Oh, yes, and an ultra marathon friend said that these swollen legs issue on 20k+ is nothing to battle with. The feet have to get used to long frequent distances. What she does (and recently she ran 102k ultra) is put her feet in the air and shower them with cold water. She doesn't use nay creme during the run.

So, I've put my stopwatch on when I started, and before the end I looked at it at 01:15:00 (after 13k) and at 02:37:00 (after 26.6k). The time above includes the run + the breaks all together.

Considering nutrition, I had no difficulties, I was fueled properly during the whole run (water, bars, honey bag, isotonic drink).

2011-12-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3960841

User image

Master

hoale1985 - 2011-12-29 6:12 PM As far as heart rate monitors go,is is something I should invest into. I been looking at them and are quite pricey. As for my performance right now seems decent for early in the year and pase seems adequate with hopes to get faster as training increases. I feel like right now my bike is my worst discipline, just slow. I bought a used road bike but would a Tri bike or puting aero bars on it be more beneficial? I know this post is many different tangents but I have so many questions.

Don't get the feeling we are ignoring this topic. We will get to it. There are always multiple threads on this in the main forum to confuse you even more. Ride the hell out of what you have and then ride it some more. It won't hurt you. I think Slayer is still typing on an I-phone so every post is a PITA for him. Auto correct, dropped connections ect. I'm just trying to fill in until he gets back from playing around in the great white north.

Right now we still need to hear a few more goals from the silent members.

2011-12-30 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Volume in terms of distance is tough for me to go at. I had a coach for Augusta 70.3 last year and we only had 11 weeks to get ready. It was my first half so I was training for completion. This year for Eagleman I'm going to gear more towards racing it. My schedule normally is one day off every two weeks so if you look at my logs and I have more than one off day a week get on me. Goals for this year are consistency in training which means a heavy dose of Z2 volume. Slayers coach and mine have very similar philosophies.

2011-12-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3961681

User image

Regular
Spokane
Nice job Gladiador!!
2011-12-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3961835

User image

Veteran

littlewj - 2011-12-30 10:41 AM Nice job Gladiador!!

Seconded! Training is all about trying things, finding out what works for you and trying again. Better now than on race day.

2011-12-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3961852

User image

Master
richtherunner - 2011-12-30 10:50 AM

littlewj - 2011-12-30 10:41 AM Nice job Gladiador!!

Seconded! Training is all about trying things, finding out what works for you and trying again. Better now than on race day.

X3

And jbyce for cracking 1k for the year

And me for cracking 100 miles this month.

A milestone for one person may not seem like a lot for some but is a personal goal for others. Keep up the good work. Consistency it the key now and will pay dividends later. 

2011-12-30 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

For the coming year, Im looking to put at least 4500 miles on the bike, 1400 miles running, and swimming at least 3 times a week.  The end goal is to be riding at least 21 mph and running 7:20-7:25 min/miles for a 70.3, which will get me under 5 hours.  Running miles should be pretty consistent throughout the season and ramp up after an Oct race with some marathon training miles.  Bike times are going to be lower for the first couple months of the year being inside and doing a lot more specific power type training.  Swim goal is to stay in the pool consistently and not have any shoulder/elbow pain (from my dead throwing arm) that comes from getting lazy, missing some swims, and then trying to make up for it with big distances.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » THE SLAYER RULES-FULL Up Rss Feed  

of 46