of 7

2012-01-17 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3946139

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Subject: RE: Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED

My plan for the rest of the week

Wed 20 mins on trainer in the morning, pm look up some strength ex for arms/shoulders/upper back - and do some!

Thurs swimming am (32 lengths) , pm trainer 20 mins

Fri  day off - I'm beginning to realise that I tend to skip things planned for fridays so I might as well plan nothing (exercise wise)

Sat  parkrun - 5k time trial run

Sun  1 hour out on actual bike come hell or high water ( I have asked partner to push me on this),pm swimming with club then strength and conditioning.

I have tried to motivate myself by planning the races I want to do this year. There is an Olympic distance one in exactly 191/2 weeks and the plan runs till then and that concentrates my mind a little. I've never done that distance before and most of the club will be entering so I want to show them I can make the distance - even if they've all gone home by the time I finish (as per usual). I've also identified another 7 triathlons and 4 running races - which is all getting pretty pricey so I have to sit down with my partner this week and decide on a few must do's. 

So, definitely feeling a bit  better - and reading everyone else's challenges does help.

And it makes me so glad that I don't work in a job where I  do nights any more - I so hated that. Smile.

So, what is anyone else up to - I'm sure we're missing a few already.

Jennifer

Edited by jennifer65 2012-01-17 4:57 PM

2012-01-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3994171

User image

Elite
saraR - 2012-01-16 11:01 PM

PS: Kim, can you tell us what your upper nody workout consists of? Thanks!

I love the Insanity Upper Body Strength Training DVD.  It's a great mix of weights plus the Insanity Cardio I love so much.  The entire DVD is 50 minutes long, but with all the running I'm doing, I've decided to split it into two parts.

The workout has 4 total rotations:  the first two rotations are shoulders/bi/tri.  The 3rd and 4th rotation is chest and back.  Each rotation set is 12 repeats, 10 repeats, 8 repeats.  For example here is the first rotation:

Dumbell Shoulder Press X 12

Isolated bicep curl X 12 (each arm)

Cardio Ab into a pushup X 12 (in plank, jump knees to chest, back out again while going into a pushup)

Mountain climbers 30 seconds

30 second rest and then the whole routine over again but X 10, and then X 8, moving up in weight.

So, I do a rotation of shoulders/bi/tri and then a rotation of chest/back.  I take a day off and then the next upper body is the other shoulder/bi/tri and chest/back.  It's good stuff!  We have P90X at home too, but those workouts are so loooong...I just don't have the time to fit those in plus running.

2012-01-20 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3996035

User image

Elite

How's the week going everyone?  Pretty quiet!

Yesterday  morning I had a terrific 10 mile run, the weather was perfect, the route was great.  I am amazed that I have been heading out before school to do 10 mile runs for the past several Thursdays, amazed because I never thought it was something I could do...and here I am doing it.  What about you? What are some things you are doing that you never thought you could?  These are events that create strength!

2012-01-20 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Well, I have stuck to my plan - better than last week anyhow. And we are definitely doing the 5k time trial in the morning - I bought myself a new garmin forerunner. I think its one of the cheapest but still very exciting. That's what triathlon's done to me ..made me into a tech geek!!!

I do hope everyone else is ok.

Out of interest what sort of sports do people do that arn't 'tri training?

2012-01-20 7:04 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hey Kim,

That workout sounds insane! BTW, I thought P90X workouts were only an hour a day? I was thinking of giving it a go but I don't have a good set up at home for that.

I never thought I would be able to get up before work and go to the gym. Im pretty stoked that it's been working out so well.

This week has been tough with work. Ive come home dragging my feet. I missed one bike workout and replaced Tuesday as my day off instead of today.

Jennifer,

The most recent sport I have participated in was boxing. I still try and go to cardio boxing classes but I am no longer training for fights (too hard on the body).

Hope everyone is having a great week!

-Sara

2012-01-21 4:29 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hi everyone!

Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

Just wanted to share some exciting news....ive been taking pictures of myself every week so I can track my progress. Today I was actually able to see some changes. It has made me super motivated and I can't wait to see even more changes. I haven't lost much weight but I am sure that is mainly due to my diet. As of today I have started with a product called Visalus which shuold help shed some lbs. Last year I used this product (meal replacement shakes) and lost about 8 lbs in 3 weeks.

Have an awesome weekend!! Work hard!!

-Sara

2012-01-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4003521

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
saraR - 2012-01-21 10:29 PM

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share some exciting news....ive been taking pictures of myself every week so I can track my progress. Today I was actually able to see some changes. It has made me super motivated and I can't wait to see even more changes. I haven't lost much weight but I am sure that is mainly due to my diet. As of today I have started with a product called Visalus which shuold help shed some lbs. Last year I used this product (meal replacement shakes) and lost about 8 lbs in 3 weeks.

-Sara

Very well done to you Sara. You must be very and rightly pleased with yourself. Today I have actually managed to get out on my mountain bike on a very bright but very breezy day (the weather man says gusts up to 50mph - and I have to agree with him). My pace was very slow but - at least I did it. Hurrah.

Not to be a killjoy but are you sure the meal replacement things will be nutritious enough for you for loosing weight and exercising at the same time?  I'm sure you are on top of it all but it's just a thought.

all the best

Jennifer

ooh and I've tired a new font. It'll be colours next!!

2012-01-23 7:04 AM

User image

Elite

Good morning Krew...happy Monday!  I am happy to report today is the first day of 2nd semester...on the downhill now, come on summer! 

Hope you all had a great weekend.  I had about as perfect as a 17 mile run can be yesterday, felt great the whole way, very encouraging...which is good because I'm going 18 this Sunday!  I'm heading into 2 weeks of very high mileage, a little nervous about it, but just going to take each run as it comes.

I will post this week's training later today...hope to see some other training weeks!

2012-01-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4003521

User image

Elite
saraR - 2012-01-21 4:29 PM

Hi everyone!

-Sara

Congrats Sara!  It's exciting to see changes, isn't it?  Just make sure you're getting in enough nutrition to support your training over the next few weeks!

2012-01-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4004267

User image

New user

Vancouver

Not to be a killjoy but are you sure the meal replacement things will be nutritious enough for you for loosing weight and exercising at the same time?  I'm sure you are on top of it all but it's just a thought.

Hey Jeniffer,

I think your question is very valid. The lovely thing about the product is that you are so well nourished that you actually have more energy. I have always had one for breakfast (for almost a year now) and it's the only thing that gets me going in the morning. On top of that you actually eat quite a bit. Shake, snack, lunch, snack, shake, snack. It's actually a really good program. I am past putting my body through bad things....it's only health from now on

2012-01-23 1:29 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hey Kim,

Quick question. What is the best way to make up for missed workouts? Now that I am following a plan it seems like everytime I miss a workout (2 bike rides this week) I feel incomplete. Should I bring it over to this week and not take a day off or should I just let it go and try really hard not to miss any workouts?

Thanks,

-Sara

2012-01-23 1:30 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Jennifer,

So awesome you got out on the bike!! Keep it up!

2012-01-23 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4006277

User image

Elite
saraR - 2012-01-23 1:29 PM

Hey Kim,

Quick question. What is the best way to make up for missed workouts? Now that I am following a plan it seems like everytime I miss a workout (2 bike rides this week) I feel incomplete. Should I bring it over to this week and not take a day off or should I just let it go and try really hard not to miss any workouts?

Thanks,

-Sara

If it were me, and I could fit them in this week without upsetting the balance of my life, I would get them in.  Those missed workouts just kind of hang there like a big ol' matzo ball.  But, if it's going to be too much stress to fit them in, I'd let it go.  I missed my five mile run Saturday morning (hungover for the first time in, like, months--hubby and I got unexpected tickets to Night Ranger, back stage passes and ended up drinking tequila with the roadies!) but since I did a 17 mile run yesterday I just let it go. I have too much running this week to make up for it.  To make a short answer longer...I would fit them in if it makes sense--at the very least perhaps get in one of the missed workouts.  I always feel better when I get them in.  Hope that helps! 

2012-01-25 9:46 PM

User image

New user

I am still here. I am going to follow a 18 week program which I will start the end of March. In the meantime, I am just doing spinning classes, bike trainer, and a few swim sessions. I have not done much this week. It's just been a week. I am going to enjoy a weekend in the mountains with good friends and get back on the training wagon Monday.
Kim, Night Ranger! Awesome! Sounds like are rocking your marathon training.
Alright, Monday, it is time to get busy training!
2012-01-27 4:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

I admit I am struggling with this week (again). I am doing what is planned but I don't have much 'vim' this week. However, I'm very proud that I haven't just slumped to the couch as per usual.

Hope you're all having a much more energetic week.

Jennifer

2012-01-27 7:23 AM

User image

Elite

Hello Ladies!  We've all been pretty quiet this week, including myself!  My dad and step-mom arrived Tuesday evening and just left...made for a busy week in an already busy week!  I've hit all my workouts so I'm happy with that!

Jennifer...well done for getting those workouts in even though you say motivation is a bit down.  What are some things you could do to get some zip back?  Maybe a good weekend of training well start next week off energized!

2012-01-29 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

and I'm back… vacation was awesome, but hubs came back with a bite that turned into a boil (negative for MRSA thank God!

Last week I started a try specific masters swimming program two nights a week (Tu, Th). I freaking LOVE it… like LOVE LOVE it! It's from 8pm to 9:30, which was making my morning wake up a bit difficult. But now that I'm semi adjusted I'll be phasing back in my morning workouts too. 

Hubs is doing masters swimming on Mon, Wed, so we're a fish family… he's training for the 4.4 mile, Chesapeake Bay swim! 

little guy starts swim class on Thursday evenings. My boss joked that one day little guy will be in the olympics… I guess that means were a fit family. 

2012-01-29 7:41 PM

User image

Elite

Hi Ladies!  Welcome back Kelly...sorry about the spider bite business...no bueno!

I am recovering today from a crappy run and I am trying to determine if it's from too much running or just a crappy run.  All my runs this week have been great up until today. Today my running buddy and I ran on an all dirt desert trail, uneven surfaces, dodging rocks, etc.  On the way down a loooong trail around mile 13, I took a spill.  Got up, felt fine and kept going.  Around mile 14.50 my left calf muscle knotted up.  By mile 15.25 it was too painful to continue running.  I was so pissed off!  I felt like I failed.  This was supposed to be an 18 mile run.  I know bad runs happen to good people, but they're not supposed to happen to me!  Smile  I am going to use the roller on my calf tonight, spin on the trainer tomorrow and hopefully by Tuesday I'll feel better going into this week's training!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

2012-01-30 3:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

I don't suppose you can look at it from the point of view that over 15 miles on trails is still a bloody good run?  (says the person that hasn't been as far as 4 miles yet). I hope your calf eases up soon - but one bad run doesn't wreck everything - honest .

I have started reading autobiographies of sportsmen (and women) and I'm about to start Andre Aggassi but they all have times when their training goes badly - for many reasons and they still become champions....hurrah - very inspiring I think.

Jenniferx

2012-01-30 6:33 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

WOOT!! Started the morning at spin class, now for a relaxing day working from home :-)

Kim, mark it up to just a bad run… there is an article that I'm trying to find about athletics and our (ahem) monthly cycle… you're actually strongest just days after your period, and weakest during ovulation. 

Have a wonderful day ladies...

2012-01-30 7:17 AM

User image

Elite

Thanks ladies...all good advice that I would give to anyone else...why is it so hard to be easy on ourselves?!  And you're right Jennifer, I still completed an over 15 mile run, that is a lot of ground covered.

Rode the trainer this morning, calf is feeling good, but still tight.   I have a 6 mile run tomorrow, hoping stretching over the course of the day today will help!

2012-01-30 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Kim do you have a foam roller, or any of the TP rollers? 

I have just a straight forward high density foam roller, and it helps my calves sooo much, and especially my PF. 

2012-01-30 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Hi Krew!

Checking in after a long absence.  Since I've been back from cottage I've been crazy busy.  So crazy that I have had no choice but to do a few early morning workouts (ie 430 am after night shift and 330 am before dayshift).  I can't say they were enjoyable workouts, but it was nice when they were done and I didn't have to worry about squeezing them in later on in the day.  Thank god for work, it let's me get caught up on BT Smile

2012-01-30 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4018133

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
kshuszar - 2012-01-30 8:43 AM

Kim do you have a foam roller, or any of the TP rollers? 

I have just a straight forward high density foam roller, and it helps my calves sooo much, and especially my PF. 

I would highly recommend the foam roller.  Ive used it on my ITB and PF.  It has brought me to tears on a few occasions, but it has greatly helped.

2012-01-30 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
Annapolis
ditto the tears, but in the end it's well worth it! Don't even need a real fancy one, a $20 one from your local running shop will do!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7