BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-22 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4165924

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
mmez - 2012-04-22 5:43 PM

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170886105

Can't get it to link, but there it is...

Mariah, that's some impressive HR data- holy cow!  Judging from your low cadence though I'm wondering if maybe you were geared up too high?  How much of this ride did you do in aero position?

Nice job!!!!

2012-04-22 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

I didn't take my tri bike due to all the hills. I'm a habitually slow cadence rider, which I'm aware of and working on. It was super hilly (at least for this flat-lander), however, I didn't get overtaken on a single hill!! Matter of fact, I beat so many people on the hills that I decided that I like hills (at least for today)!

Edited by mmez 2012-04-22 8:29 PM
2012-04-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4166040

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-04-22 6:47 PM I didn't take my tri bike due to all the hills. I'm a habitually slow cadence rider, which I'm aware of and working on. It was super hilly (at least for this flat-lander), however, I didn't get overtaken on a single hill!! Matter of fact, I beat so many people on the hills and decided that I like hills (at least for today)!

All those Sufferfest videos have turned you into a bike beast!  Congrats on a great ride!

2012-04-22 10:51 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Perfect weather in Seattle this weekend. Wow! Almost feel a little guilty playing outside.Swam on Saturday and kept up, kind of, with the rest of the group. Where did that older than me lady go? I need her back to keep my ego from being trampled. But did 2000 yards in the hour work out and still amazed I made it through.14 miles back on the trail today on the bike but am a half clipper so far. One foot in one foot out. No falls due to memory loss and looked smashing in my new yellow wind jacket from REI. Over all I am having a great time, but am struggling with the run portion of my training plan. It is asking for a 5-6 mile run this week and I just made it with some effort to 4 miles. My Sprint in June is a 3 mile run. How so I reconcile my run ability with the training plan?Hope everyone had an enormously great weekend!Melinda
2012-04-23 8:13 AM

I've kind of fallen off the tri wagon the last week or so. Our son is traveling so I took time off from work to spend with my wife to help keep her form losing her mind. We have had a great time together but my training has suffered. I have gone on a few really easy runs with my wife as she is doing a C25K program. Hopefully I can get back into gear this week. In the end this time with my wife has been so good that I don't feel that guilty about missing my training. Good from a life perspective but not getting me to my goal too quickly. Choices.
2012-04-23 3:06 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Sounds like everyone is rolling along, or about to get back to it. I had my in-laws and my parents visiting these past two weeks, so it slowed me down some, but at least the workouts I got in were solid, quality workouts. Plus the learning to clip in thing - I've tried it twice more and only fell over once. My mom was watching me and I was having trouble with getting my left foot free. I finally started getting it down and went over to her, put my left foot on the pavement and said "I did it!" Then I fell over to the right. Forgot that foot was still attached Laughing One of these days....

Your bike race was really inspiring Mariah, I'd probably be too intimidated to try it right now.I am obsessed with biking up hills right now.

Not sure if everyone saw this, but it's in Chicago so I thought of some of you!

http://advantage.active.com/sweepstakes/Chicago-Triathlon.htm?cmp=15-2507

Hope everyone has a great week!

2012-04-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4167904

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-23 2:06 PM

Sounds like everyone is rolling along, or about to get back to it. I had my in-laws and my parents visiting these past two weeks, so it slowed me down some, but at least the workouts I got in were solid, quality workouts. Plus the learning to clip in thing - I've tried it twice more and only fell over once. My mom was watching me and I was having trouble with getting my left foot free. I finally started getting it down and went over to her, put my left foot on the pavement and said "I did it!" Then I fell over to the right. Forgot that foot was still attached Laughing One of these days....

Your bike race was really inspiring Mariah, I'd probably be too intimidated to try it right now.I am obsessed with biking up hills right now.

Not sure if everyone saw this, but it's in Chicago so I thought of some of you!

http://advantage.active.com/sweepstakes/Chicago-Triathlon.htm?cmp=15-2507

Hope everyone has a great week!

Thanks, Jen!

I've also got a discount code that's been floating around- 10% off:

chicago10adv

2012-04-23 7:46 PM

Do any of you use ear plugs when you swim. If so, what kind. After each swim I have water sloshing around my ears that i cant't get out which eventually leads to a splitting headache.
2012-04-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4168476

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

fishracer - 2012-04-23 6:46 PM Do any of you use ear plugs when you swim. If so, what kind. After each swim I have water sloshing around my ears that i cant't get out which eventually leads to a splitting headache.

Absolutely- Mack's are the best.  I have to swim with them, as well.  I'm prone to ear infections.  A pack of 12 costs about $4 and will last you months.

2012-04-23 8:18 PM

Terrific. Thanks!
2012-04-23 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4162723

User image

Regular
WI
RobinRN - 2012-04-20 10:45 AM

Hi Christian---saw this video that profiles an editorial from the American Journal of Cardiology.  Makes an interesting case for a plant-based diet in lieu of statins.  This has been an interesting discussion and I definitely concur with all of the feedback from the other healthcare members of our group. I work with an older population and, anecdotally, it seems like 95% of my patients are on Lipitor or Crestor---really makes me wonder if they're being overprescribed.

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/convergence-of-evidence/

Robin

Robin -

That's a pretty good little cometary there.  Truth is, I've been trying the Paleo Diet since January, however, I haven't been 100%.  Sadly, I don't think I've been even 90%, but closer to 80%.  I eat so much fruit and vegetables it's dizzying, but on the weekends I don't have the focus and structure the work week brings.  This has been a bit of a wake up call for me.

So, now I have to be more diligent with trimming visible fat from my meat and then shying away from the red meat - even if it is grass fed.  Back to the food diary!

2012-04-24 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

We got bumped to the bottom- here's a worthless post to keep us on top

Seriously though, I thought I'd tell everyone about swimming in a drag suit.  I'd highly recommend everyone train in one, you'll be amazed how much faster you'll be when you need to be fast.

2012-04-24 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4168614

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Not trying to get everyone to be vegetarian, but for some great plant-based recipes from an ultramarathoner, I love this blog/website called No-Meat Athlete: www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/

phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-22 9:57 PM
RobinRN - 2012-04-20 10:45 AM

Hi Christian---saw this video that profiles an editorial from the American Journal of Cardiology.  Makes an interesting case for a plant-based diet in lieu of statins.  This has been an interesting discussion and I definitely concur with all of the feedback from the other healthcare members of our group. I work with an older population and, anecdotally, it seems like 95% of my patients are on Lipitor or Crestor---really makes me wonder if they're being overprescribed.

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/convergence-of-evidence/

Robin

Robin -

That's a pretty good little cometary there.  Truth is, I've been trying the Paleo Diet since January, however, I haven't been 100%.  Sadly, I don't think I've been even 90%, but closer to 80%.  I eat so much fruit and vegetables it's dizzying, but on the weekends I don't have the focus and structure the work week brings.  This has been a bit of a wake up call for me.

So, now I have to be more diligent with trimming visible fat from my meat and then shying away from the red meat - even if it is grass fed.  Back to the food diary!

2012-04-24 7:10 PM

User image

My ride report:

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to do the Wildflower Ride that was held this past weekend. I don't know what possessed me to want to do it, but I decided to sign up anyway. There were 4 distance options: 25 miles, 40 miles, 100K or 100 miles. For some odd reason, I picked the metric century, or 100K. I knew I could do 25 miles and figured that 40 miles wouldn't be too hard, but I'm still not sure why I thought the 100K was the distance for me.

I really didn't train specifically for this distance, as my longest ride to date was only about 23 miles. I figured that if nothing else, I could call the SAG wagon or my husband to pick me up if I ran out of steam. During the week and a half leading up to the event, the gravity of the distance actually hit me! We decided to go and drive the course the weekend before just to get an idea of the route. It was quite hilly and I started stressing out over it. My husband kept telling me that he had every bit of confidence in me and knew I could do it.

Throughout the week, I became more and more apprehensive about the course and started self-doubting my abilities to finish. Everyone told me that it wasn't a race, just a ride and that I should just go out and have a good time. I spoke to the owner of our LTS and he said that he was confident that I could finish and just reminded me to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. He asked what type of nutrition I was planning to use. I told him that I was going to take 1 bottle of water, 1 bottle of sports drink and my Gu Chomps. He asked if I had used them before, which I stated that I had and he said that it was smart not to try new products during the event just in case they didn't work with my GI system. He suggested that I get off my bike at each rest stop in order to refill my bottles and stretch if needed.

I then volunteered at one of our LBS's for packet pick-up for a 10k that was being held on Saturday. I had a chance to speak to two different bike guys there, both of who stated that they knew I could complete the distance as well. (During the packet pick-up, I was helping customers when the regular employees were busy and was actually offered a job by the store manager - made my day)!!

I had my packet pick-up on Thursday and spoke with the owner of that LBS. He was also the guy responsible for making the course and has been in charge of this ride for um-teenth number of years. He asked me what my longest ride to date had been and was shocked that I had signed up for the metric, however, he agreed that if I took it easy, hydrated and "eat more than you think you need at each rest stop" that I would be fine, although probably pretty sore.

I commented to my husband that since everyone believed in me, that I needed to start believing in me also! He agreed...

We decided that my family would drop me off since we weren't sure if I would be in any condition to drive back home or not upon completion. We got to the ride site and I started getting nervous and at one point even told my husband that I was way out of my league and that we should just go back home. He disagreed and helped me air up my tires and sent me on my way. I was going to call him when I got to the last rest stop so he could come pick me up.

I made my way to the start and got into my corral. They had the 100 milers in front, followed by the 100K, the 40 milers and finally the 25 milers. As we were standing there, I started working myself up again and looked down at my HRM and watched it go from 85 all the way up to almost 110 - and I wasn't even moving! I tried to calm myself down, but it didn't help too much.

Once we took off, I settled into a smooth pace and let all those that decided to "race" pass me up so I wouldn't feel the need to keep up. My average speed has usually been around 14-14.5mph (I'm a slow rider) and I have never had an average over 14.7 mph. I talked with a few riders and just kind of did my thing. I stopped at the first rest stop, refilled my bottles and continued on. I knew that we were in the hilliest portion of the ride, so I really didn't even bother with my speed. To my surprise, I felt very strong on the hills. I noticed that I kept passing people as we were going uphill and even though I stayed seated, I was passing folks that were out of their seat and really seemed to be struggling up the hills.

There was one spooky downhill that was around the 14 mile point or so and I knew it was going to scare me! It was an extreme downhill and snaked down finally ending at railroad tracks. I started picking up speed and getting scared. I had both brakes on and there was no sight of me slowing down! I was really worried about making it down safely, but did so and was really happy that I had conquered that hill!

We had another rest stop shortly after that. I stopped and then after waiting for the port-o-potty (you know - the 4 they had out there for 1500 riders) continued on. There were some riders that I had been talking to right before the scary downhill that decided not to stop. They stated that they had done the ride for many years and didn't need to stop. They really looked like they knew what they were doing and were very friendly. 

I got back on the road and continued on. At one of the stops down the way (it was in the middle of a corn field) I slowed down to stop. I unclipped my right foot and then stopped my bike. As I was unclipping my left foot, I started leaning left and was having trouble unclipping! I just KNEW I was about to fall over, but managed to get my left foot free and put it down just in time! Totally embarrassed!

Around mile 44 or so, my right quad started cramping. I've done some one-legged drills and remember my coach saying that if you get a cramp in one leg that you can pedal with one leg, but leave the other leg clipped in (it's just along for the ride) until you are able to work the cramp out and continue on. I pedaled with primarily my left leg only for about 8-10 miles until my right leg made itself useful again! 

As we continued, I noticed that I had been maintaining about a 15mph pace and kind-of wanted to keep that up. I want to get faster and know that I won't get faster without pushing myself and even though this was technically a "Sunday morning" ride, I wanted to get something out of it other than it just being my longest ride. I made it to 46 miles at the 3 hour mark and was overly thrilled especially since it was pretty hilly. I also noticed that I continued eating the hills and no one had passed me going uphill, which was also a point of pride!

I made the decision to pass up the last rest stop since I knew I had less than 10 miles left and was anxious to finish. In doing so, I forgot that I was supposed to call my husband to come pick me up! Whoops!!

The remainder of the ride was uneventful and as I made it to the finish I grew quite happy that I had accomplished what I set out to do (even though I was quite doubtful in the beginning). I called my husband and went to get some food (which wasn't very good). I grabbed some HoneyMilk and sat down for a minute waiting on my family to arrive. I expected to be quite sore, but was happily surprised that I wasn't. Once they got there I loaded up my gear and we went home.

I unloaded my stuff and then showered and sat down to lunch prepared by my husband. Afterward, I told him that I wanted to take a nap. I laid down and must have fallen asleep (I did not sleep at all the night before due to nerves) right away as I started dreaming I was back out on the course. In my dream, I was getting ready to take a right-hand turn, missed the turn and then drove off a cliff! My body shook, which woke me up. I then realized that I was okay and did not fall off the cliff, but was safe in my home. I closed my eyes to try and go back to sleep, but every time I closed my eyes I "saw" the asphalt ground moving and decided that I couldn't sleep while "seeing" the ground in front of me.

I was waiting for the soreness to hit the next day, but it didn't. One of my supervisors even asked how my "sit down" was, which I replied was fine and I had no problems to speak of! 

A few lessons I learned from this were that we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We allow our minds to dictate what we will allow our bodies to accomplish. I have decided that I will not let my mind decide what my body can do. I will also try to believe in myself a little more, especially when everyone else believes in me. 

I was happy with my hydration and nutrition choices and felt that I did a great job at staying properly hydrated throughout the ride. By the time I got home my urine output was totally clear and I have been mindful these few days since to ensure that I am continuing to hydrate and eat properly. Once I downloaded my Garmin information, I noticed that my average speed was 15.2mph - a 1/2 mile faster than my previous average!!! Needless to say, I am looking for another ride (hopefully before I leave) and might even consider doing a full century...maybe!

Edited to add: I ended up trying a few new things during the ride (which is not usually recommended). I decided that I didn't have any jersey's bright enough to ride on some of the roads, so I bought a new jersey the night before. I also bought some sun-sleeves that were recommended to me by the manager of the LBS as a method of keeping sun off of you without having to continuously apply sunscreen. In addition, one of the bike guys at the shop also recommended DZNuts chamois cream, which I had never used before. He said it wouldn't hurt and even though I haven't used it, I would be fine. Actually, I think it wore off by the time I got to the ride location and I did not end up bringing it with me...figured it was a chance I would have to take, which fortunately, it didn't matter since I was fine!

Edited by mmez 2012-04-24 7:27 PM
2012-04-24 7:29 PM

User image

Okay, the photograph link isn't working so you can go to 

http://www.backprint.com/view_event.asp?PID=bp%18sA&EVENTID=100897

(which is Enduro photo) and then search for Fiesta Wildflower ride. You can find me under bib number 530.

Edited by mmez 2012-04-24 7:32 PM
2012-04-24 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4170812

Sarasota, FL

Fully enjoyed reading your recap! I share many of the same anxieties and fears. You definitely conquered yours and sounds like it was a lot of fun too!

Love this, BTW :

A few lessons I learned from this were that we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We allow our minds to dictate what we will allow our bodies to accomplish. I have decided that I will not let my mind decide what my body can do. I will also try to believe in myself a little more, especially when everyone else believes in me.

2012-04-24 8:41 PM

Winnemucca

Hello, I am interested in joining your team. I have been a runner off and on for several years but never competitively. I decided that I needed to get back into shape and thought that training for a triathlon was a goal that would help to keep me motivated. I'm not having too much problem with running and biking. However, when it comes to swimming I really need help. I am not a seasoned swimmer but have been swimming on average 3 days per week since the start of the year and while I have noticed improvements in my running and cycling swimming I am not building any swimming endurance; it's all I can do to swim 100 yards without stopping. Hope you have room for one more, I am looking forward to working with this team. Thank you.

Justin Wilson

2012-04-24 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4170974

Winnemucca
Sorry, just realized this team was already full, I will join another. Thank you.
2012-04-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4171027

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

triathletetraining30 - 2012-04-24 8:15 PM Sorry, just realized this team was already full, I will join another. Thank you.

Justin, if you want to join I have room.  We're not as active as we were in the first quarter, so feel free to post your questions.  You're in the right place if you need help with swimming.

2012-04-24 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4170812

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Great race, and great photos! You look like you're having fun. I can't imagine riding the 40, much less the metric. Congrats - what an accomplishment!

mmez - 2012-04-23 8:10 PM

My ride report:

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to do the Wildflower Ride that was held this past weekend. I don't know what possessed me to want to do it, but I decided to sign up anyway. There were 4 distance options: 25 miles, 40 miles, 100K or 100 miles. For some odd reason, I picked the metric century, or 100K. I knew I could do 25 miles and figured that 40 miles wouldn't be too hard, but I'm still not sure why I thought the 100K was the distance for me.

I really didn't train specifically for this distance, as my longest ride to date was only about 23 miles. I figured that if nothing else, I could call the SAG wagon or my husband to pick me up if I ran out of steam. During the week and a half leading up to the event, the gravity of the distance actually hit me! We decided to go and drive the course the weekend before just to get an idea of the route. It was quite hilly and I started stressing out over it. My husband kept telling me that he had every bit of confidence in me and knew I could do it.

Throughout the week, I became more and more apprehensive about the course and started self-doubting my abilities to finish. Everyone told me that it wasn't a race, just a ride and that I should just go out and have a good time. I spoke to the owner of our LTS and he said that he was confident that I could finish and just reminded me to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. He asked what type of nutrition I was planning to use. I told him that I was going to take 1 bottle of water, 1 bottle of sports drink and my Gu Chomps. He asked if I had used them before, which I stated that I had and he said that it was smart not to try new products during the event just in case they didn't work with my GI system. He suggested that I get off my bike at each rest stop in order to refill my bottles and stretch if needed.

I then volunteered at one of our LBS's for packet pick-up for a 10k that was being held on Saturday. I had a chance to speak to two different bike guys there, both of who stated that they knew I could complete the distance as well. (During the packet pick-up, I was helping customers when the regular employees were busy and was actually offered a job by the store manager - made my day)!!

I had my packet pick-up on Thursday and spoke with the owner of that LBS. He was also the guy responsible for making the course and has been in charge of this ride for um-teenth number of years. He asked me what my longest ride to date had been and was shocked that I had signed up for the metric, however, he agreed that if I took it easy, hydrated and "eat more than you think you need at each rest stop" that I would be fine, although probably pretty sore.

I commented to my husband that since everyone believed in me, that I needed to start believing in me also! He agreed...

We decided that my family would drop me off since we weren't sure if I would be in any condition to drive back home or not upon completion. We got to the ride site and I started getting nervous and at one point even told my husband that I was way out of my league and that we should just go back home. He disagreed and helped me air up my tires and sent me on my way. I was going to call him when I got to the last rest stop so he could come pick me up.

I made my way to the start and got into my corral. They had the 100 milers in front, followed by the 100K, the 40 milers and finally the 25 milers. As we were standing there, I started working myself up again and looked down at my HRM and watched it go from 85 all the way up to almost 110 - and I wasn't even moving! I tried to calm myself down, but it didn't help too much.

Once we took off, I settled into a smooth pace and let all those that decided to "race" pass me up so I wouldn't feel the need to keep up. My average speed has usually been around 14-14.5mph (I'm a slow rider) and I have never had an average over 14.7 mph. I talked with a few riders and just kind of did my thing. I stopped at the first rest stop, refilled my bottles and continued on. I knew that we were in the hilliest portion of the ride, so I really didn't even bother with my speed. To my surprise, I felt very strong on the hills. I noticed that I kept passing people as we were going uphill and even though I stayed seated, I was passing folks that were out of their seat and really seemed to be struggling up the hills.

There was one spooky downhill that was around the 14 mile point or so and I knew it was going to scare me! It was an extreme downhill and snaked down finally ending at railroad tracks. I started picking up speed and getting scared. I had both brakes on and there was no sight of me slowing down! I was really worried about making it down safely, but did so and was really happy that I had conquered that hill!

We had another rest stop shortly after that. I stopped and then after waiting for the port-o-potty (you know - the 4 they had out there for 1500 riders) continued on. There were some riders that I had been talking to right before the scary downhill that decided not to stop. They stated that they had done the ride for many years and didn't need to stop. They really looked like they knew what they were doing and were very friendly. 

I got back on the road and continued on. At one of the stops down the way (it was in the middle of a corn field) I slowed down to stop. I unclipped my right foot and then stopped my bike. As I was unclipping my left foot, I started leaning left and was having trouble unclipping! I just KNEW I was about to fall over, but managed to get my left foot free and put it down just in time! Totally embarrassed!

Around mile 44 or so, my right quad started cramping. I've done some one-legged drills and remember my coach saying that if you get a cramp in one leg that you can pedal with one leg, but leave the other leg clipped in (it's just along for the ride) until you are able to work the cramp out and continue on. I pedaled with primarily my left leg only for about 8-10 miles until my right leg made itself useful again! 

As we continued, I noticed that I had been maintaining about a 15mph pace and kind-of wanted to keep that up. I want to get faster and know that I won't get faster without pushing myself and even though this was technically a "Sunday morning" ride, I wanted to get something out of it other than it just being my longest ride. I made it to 46 miles at the 3 hour mark and was overly thrilled especially since it was pretty hilly. I also noticed that I continued eating the hills and no one had passed me going uphill, which was also a point of pride!

I made the decision to pass up the last rest stop since I knew I had less than 10 miles left and was anxious to finish. In doing so, I forgot that I was supposed to call my husband to come pick me up! Whoops!!

The remainder of the ride was uneventful and as I made it to the finish I grew quite happy that I had accomplished what I set out to do (even though I was quite doubtful in the beginning). I called my husband and went to get some food (which wasn't very good). I grabbed some HoneyMilk and sat down for a minute waiting on my family to arrive. I expected to be quite sore, but was happily surprised that I wasn't. Once they got there I loaded up my gear and we went home.

I unloaded my stuff and then showered and sat down to lunch prepared by my husband. Afterward, I told him that I wanted to take a nap. I laid down and must have fallen asleep (I did not sleep at all the night before due to nerves) right away as I started dreaming I was back out on the course. In my dream, I was getting ready to take a right-hand turn, missed the turn and then drove off a cliff! My body shook, which woke me up. I then realized that I was okay and did not fall off the cliff, but was safe in my home. I closed my eyes to try and go back to sleep, but every time I closed my eyes I "saw" the asphalt ground moving and decided that I couldn't sleep while "seeing" the ground in front of me.

I was waiting for the soreness to hit the next day, but it didn't. One of my supervisors even asked how my "sit down" was, which I replied was fine and I had no problems to speak of! 

I was happy with my hydration and nutrition choices and felt that I did a great job at staying properly hydrated throughout the ride. By the time I got home my urine output was totally clear and I have been mindful these few days since to ensure that I am continuing to hydrate and eat properly. Once I downloaded my Garmin information, I noticed that my average speed was 15.2mph - a 1/2 mile faster than my previous average!!! Needless to say, I am looking for another ride (hopefully before I leave) and might even consider doing a full century...maybe!

Edited to add: I ended up trying a few new things during the ride (which is not usually recommended). I decided that I didn't have any jersey's bright enough to ride on some of the roads, so I bought a new jersey the night before. I also bought some sun-sleeves that were recommended to me by the manager of the LBS as a method of keeping sun off of you without having to continuously apply sunscreen. In addition, one of the bike guys at the shop also recommended DZNuts chamois cream, which I had never used before. He said it wouldn't hurt and even though I haven't used it, I would be fine. Actually, I think it wore off by the time I got to the ride location and I did not end up bringing it with me...figured it was a chance I would have to take, which fortunately, it didn't matter since I was fine!

2012-04-24 11:38 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Chamois cream??? What is it?

Well done! Thanks for the report.

2012-04-24 11:48 PM
in reply to: #4171192

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2012-04-25 7:56 AM

User image

I totally forgot part of my story: Around mile 25 or so, a lady that I pass falls in behind me and asks if she can draft for a while. I agree and she sits on my back wheel. Before I know it, we've become a pace line (I think that's what it's called) of 5 riders with me leading the pack for about 3-4 miles. Eventually someone moves up and pulls in front of me but then within a mile, we've rotated to me being back in the lead, which I don't mind (I really felt like being in the middle was slowing me down). We got to a rest stop and 3 of us decided to stop with the other 2 saying they didn't need to. I got what I needed and got back on the road while the other 2 that stopped were socializing with other riders. As I continued on, I started passing folks that decided not to stop at the rest stops! The 2 that were in my pace line I passed around mile 45 or so. The riders that I mentioned in my (long) report that stated they had done the ride for many years - I passed them around mile 55. I don't know I they bonked due to not stopping or if they just decided to slow down, but I felt really good knowing that not EVERYONE was passin me (even though I know it wasn't a race). The pace line was cool because at one point I looked back and saw the shadows of 5 cyclists in a row and thought "Wow! That is so cool and I can't believe I'm really a part of it"!
2012-04-25 11:27 AM

User image

New user
Seattle

Thanks for the link, Matt.

I went to visit the venue for my first Tri in June, and came back totally depressed.  The water looked foul (man-made lake),  the ride through gentle rollers in suburbia looks more like not so gentle rollers but you will keep peddaling because it is not a neighborhood where you want to stop and look vulnerable for very long, and the run around the lake is on pavement under construction!

Hopefully, I will be ready by then and so will the venue.  The bright spot right now remains the sponsor - Seattle Dilletante chocolates. 

Headed off for a long awaited vacation - going to Moab Utah to ride mountain bikes.  Warm, and hopefully some great conditioning.

Melinda

2012-04-25 1:43 PM

User image

Mariah,

Congrats on your Metric Century!  You've reminded me that with focus and determination people can push far past their known limits.  I'm very jealous of your long ride. 

Injury update: My right IT band has felt great through a handfull of short runs and rides.  Bad news, my left IT band is starting to flare up Frown.  I'm going to do all my IT band exercises and stretched on BOTH legs now and see if I can quell the right IT band before it gets bad. 

Off to the pool!

Edited by GatorRunner 2012-04-25 7:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25