BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-04-24 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4170076

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
Sarah73 - 2012-04-24 1:10 PM

I need some help/advice!

I was thinking about doing my first tri (sprint) this weekend. There's one fairly close to my home, and I think I can pull it off, but I have a couple of issues:

1) I don't have a wetsuit, and the swim is in a lake. The weather is going to be in the high 60s at the start and the day should warm up to the mid/high 80s. I don't know the water temp. Should I wait this out until the weather warms up, or until I have a wetsuit?

It really depends on the water temps as for if you need the wetsuit or not.Other than that the temps might actually be a tad on the warm side for a tri, definitely wouldn't need to wait for warmer weather- l0l.  I did a sprint tri in October and the temp was 44 to start and "warmed up" to the mid 60's. It was actually perfect weather for the tri. Of course it was a sunny day so that helped. The water temp was 74ish degrees and only one or two of the 1200 participants wore a wetsuit. I did not and I was fine. It actually felt warm getting in the water because the out of water temp was so darn cold. Of course once I was s/b/r ing it was perfect. I have swam as low as 68-70 degrees water temp without using a wetsuit. It was extremely cold and hard to make myself get in, but once I started swimming I was ok. Anything colder and I wouldn't do it but that's just me.

2) I have only one pair of cycling shorts. I know that doesn't seem like an issue, but I'm just thinking logistics here. Do you just put your shorts over your bathing suit? Then do you take the shorts off and put on running shorts to run?

It's very difficult to pull clothes on/off over a wet body. I would actually recommend just wearing your cycle shorts and a fitness top for the entire race. When I say fitness top I mean one that is made out of swimsuit type material. A tri top is best of course but for my first tri several of my friends wore shirts sold at JC Penney. For my second tri I wore one from Academy because I liked it's colors  better than my tri shirt. It was champion brand and worked perfectly. The ones at JC Penney were the exact same. Now some others might say wearing the cycle shorts would be too uncomfortable because of the large padding. That really is a personal preference thing. I wore my bike shorts for weeks in OWS when I was training for my first tri. It didn't bother me at all. My brother wore his for a HIM and did fine as well. For me it was a cost issue. I couldn't decide if I wanted a one piece tri suit or tri shorts and bottoms when I first started training and I didn't want to spend money on tri shorts if I decided on the one piece suit. So it really isn't a big deal although there's usually quite a few people who will say it is and talk about having a big wet diaper- in my n=1 experience this just wasn't the case.

I feel kind of silly asking these questions, that are probably pretty basic to most of you, but if you've never done one, it can be a bit confusing.

And it totally isn't silly questions. I asked all the exact same things before my first tri. I learned quickly that it has more to do with personal preference, money and timing ( can't get tri stuff in time etc. ) type issues than a true right or wrong way of doing things.

hth,

Shelly

2012-04-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4169472

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-24 10:13 AM

HELP!

Last week I became a partner in a new business.  I am returning to the kitchen cabinet business and opening a showroom by the end of May.  This weekend we started preping the space.  So no formal training but a lot of physical labor.  Then Sunday I started getting sick.  Still feel lousy today (Tuesday), My first Tri (Sprint) is this Sunday.  Based on my schedule I may be able to get in the pool on Thursday night and a run Friday afternoon.  Unless I totally feel like crap, I'm going to the tri.

Does this sound like a good plan?  I'm fairly confident I will get through the swim and bike (200 yd, 10 mi). I'll do my best for the run(5k)

guess I'm getting a little nervous  Undecided

Tom

Tom,

I agree with the others. I think you'll most likely be fine. I actually think it's probably more a case of nerves than anything else. Just get as much rest as you can this week. The training is already done. This week won't make that much of a difference as far as training goes. I was a wreck the week of my first tri and thought I was getting the flu. I was actually just overtired from training so hard and stressing too much over the tri. Once I relaxed- ok had wine on a nightly basis- lol- I was fine.

Now like Sarah said- if there's fever, chills, true totally sick symptoms than that is a different story.

Good luck racing.

Shelly

2012-04-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4169103

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-04-24 7:55 AM

Shelly,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm excited we'll be so close. I never seem to know any athletes in my area, so it will be nice to commiserate with someone about the heat and humidity during the summer!

After my husband finished his interventional cardiology fellowship in Toledo, Ohio, we just wanted to head somewhere warm (and my parents live in Montgomery, AL). So we are now in Columbus, GA, which is nice, but things just didn't work out with the group he joined. So, we started looking again, and there was a group in Ocean Springs looking for a new partner. I have to admit, even as an Alabama girl, I was a bit hesitant about moving to Mississippi, but once we saw it, we were hooked! I'm a psychiatrist, and will probably start working part time again once we get down there, but I want some time to check out the place first...maybe get in a few racesWink

What kind of RN are you? It is a pretty small world. I know my husband really relies on the device reps quite a bit, so he has already hooked up with some of the Ocean Springs reps.

I noticed that there are not too many races listed in Mississippi, so it looks like I might be headed over to Louisiana for some. I'll have to get your input before I sign up. Have you lived in Louisiana long?

Sarah

Sarah,

I am a labor and delivery nurse. I have done that for 19 years and still love what I do ;-).

And I have lived here all my life. I was born in New Orleans, grew up in Metairie/ River Ridge and then moved to Hammond/ Ponchatoula  after graduating high school. My familly and my dh's family are all within 45 minutes of us and we are all very close. We have often thought of moving to other states but just aren't willing to give up the family ties. My parents are 6 miles from us and my sister and bil are 20 mi from us. My husband says my sister is our 4th child- lol. I am older than she is by 8 years but we are extremely close. And all of our extended family is just as close. My kids have been blessed with knowing their grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. And of course New Orleans has so much flavor and character that we really can't imagine not being close to it ;-).

And the heat and humidity is soo much fun for training. I mean we just love to sweat.

Shelly

2012-04-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran

Yvonne, Sarah, & Shelly,

Thanks for all the input. No I don't have a fever so I'm looking to go.  You all would make GREAT TRI MOM'S if I wasn't older than all of you.  LOL. 

Sarah, your questions about shorts are great because I've been pondering the same question (NO, not which ladies shorts). Do I wear my tri suit or go for cycling shorts and a shirt. 

Now, here is the funny part (laughing allowed - cause I can't hear you)  I bought an Orca brand tri suit 2 years ago, XL of course.  I still feel like an orca in it.  So I'm thinkin' cycling shorts since it's a pool swim.

I actually ran in my cycling shorts last week and they did feel really great.  So I think I'll wait till I get below 200 before doning the whale outfit.  hehehe

Image Detail

2012-04-24 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

HELP!

Last week I became a partner in a new business.  I am returning to the kitchen cabinet business and opening a showroom by the end of May.  This weekend we started preping the space.  So no formal training but a lot of physical labor.  Then Sunday I started getting sick.  Still feel lousy today (Tuesday), My first Tri (Sprint) is this Sunday.  Based on my schedule I may be able to get in the pool on Thursday night and a run Friday afternoon.  Unless I totally feel like crap, I'm going to the tri.

Does this sound like a good plan?  I'm fairly confident I will get through the swim and bike (200 yd, 10 mi). I'll do my best for the run(5k)

Tom

Tom

First  congrats on the business bro!   Tell you what  we will all cross our fingers and send positive thoughts your way so you can get better and do the tri.     

For sure, unless you stay sick   do the Tri!     you will learn from it and you'll experience the full range of emotions    It will be awesome!  

Some nervousness is warranted.   In the end I think that's almost the best part of an event!    

2012-04-24 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4170392

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-24 2:46 PM

Yvonne, Sarah, & Shelly,

Thanks for all the input. No I don't have a fever so I'm looking to go.  You all would make GREAT TRI MOM'S if I wasn't older than all of you.  LOL. 

Sarah, your questions about shorts are great because I've been pondering the same question (NO, not which ladies shorts). Do I wear my tri suit or go for cycling shorts and a shirt. 

Now, here is the funny part (laughing allowed - cause I can't hear you)  I bought an Orca brand tri suit 2 years ago, XL of course.  I still feel like an orca in it.  So I'm thinkin' cycling shorts since it's a pool swim.

I actually ran in my cycling shorts last week and they did feel really great.  So I think I'll wait till I get below 200 before doning the whale outfit.  hehehe

Image Detail

LMAO but you can't see me so it's ok right? Just remember though- Orcas are strong, beautiful creatures so don't be afraid to embrace your Orca when you are ready ;-).Shelly

2012-04-24 8:40 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

Hi Tom, I echo everyones comments here.  You can do it!

The thing I like about tri's is that the run is the last part, that way if I'm not feeling great, it's easy to make the 5K run a 5K run/walk, lol.  In the races where I've been wiped out, I would just say to myself, ok, I'm going to run to the next mailbox, lamp pole, etc. 

Just have fun and enjoy the race.

PS, I always like to hit the massage tent it possible, or better yet, schedule one the next day as a reward! 

PPS, of course I haven't done a tri yet, this is just my experience with lots of running races. Smile

Rob

HELP!

Tom

2012-04-24 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4170392

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Yvonne, Sarah, & Shelly,

Image Detail

Tom   do you have a tri-suit  or a wet suit?    or or  both?    If you have a tri -suit  go ahead and wear that.   You can swim in it and cycle in it and run in it.       If you try and put a shirt on in transition on a wet body,  it will be tough to do, and takes up time.     So wear the tri-suit!   Don't be concerned on what you think you look like.   Seriously everyone is self conscience   Just wear it and be proud!          

That is a Killer of a whale pic!!!  ha I crack me up.

2012-04-24 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

I need some help/advice!

I was thinking about doing my first tri (sprint) this weekend. There's one fairly close to my home, and I think I can pull it off, but I have a couple of issues:

DO IT!!     Just sayin...    I bet you already signed up this afternoon. 

1) I don't have a wetsuit, and the swim is in a lake. The weather is going to be in the high 60s at the start and the day should warm up to the mid/high 80s. I don't know the water temp. Should I wait this out until the weather warms up, or until I have a wetsuit?

Like Shells said,  It's the water temp that matters.   Since you are in the South,  if its not a large lake,  I would think it's plenty warm,  But I wouldn't know.      really in a sprint,  a wetsuit can be more of a hassle than it is worth.   So even if you had one, it may not be best to use it anyway.    

2) I have only one pair of cycling shorts. I know that doesn't seem like an issue, but I'm just thinking logistics here. Do you just put your shorts over your bathing suit? Then do you take the shorts off and put on running shorts to run?

For this event hmmm  wait a sec  I'm not a girl.  Oh yeah     Shells did a great job answering this already.   One thing I would say is go ahead and  buy tri shorts for future.   Cycling shorts are great fro long rides  but not fun to run in.   Well worth the investment even if you buy a tri-suit.     

Besides you really need more than one short anyhow.   Very hard to stay on top of the laundry and be assured of having clean bike/tri shorts to use if you only have one.   The pad can harbor bacteria or whatever and its rubbing on your skin ya know?  so easy to get an infection and that can STOP you from getting back on a bike.  so never ever wear a dirty  bike/tri short.   

To give you an idea.   I have 4 pairs of Tri-shorts  and 2 pairs of cycling shorts   and this is in addition to multiple tri-suits.   do you need this much  no    But I pretty much do all my running and cycling in these  and they ALL get used.      Are they expensive?  YES  but they can last YEARS of being used multiple times per week.  I'm actually really impressed with how durable they are.  

I feel kind of silly asking these questions, that are probably pretty basic to most of you, but if you've never done one, it can be a bit confusing.

Sarah- do not feel silly.  This is what we are here for.  We are happy to have questions!!   And to help usher you into the world of TRI!    It's an honor really.

2012-04-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4168406

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Turner100 - 2012-04-23 7:04 PM

Hi Dave, hi everyone Smile, thanks for the welcome and welcome Sarah.

Dave, I was mostly joking about shrinking, but I was using some inserts for arch support. Now, I am trying to change my form to more of a mid sole strike, instead of heel-toe while running. It seems to be working, and I have taken out the inserts and have not experienced any arch pain so far.  Having said that, I don't think that I will ever go completely to the barefoot method.

Shelly, I googled the New Orleans Chapter (neworleanshash.com) and they had over 7000 participants at their Red Dress Run! Wow, New Orleans really knows how to party. 

I am very interested in everyone's thoughts on the Racine HIM. After reading the race blogs here of the last two years-really, really hot, lots of DNF's, so my number one concern is nutrition and hydration. 

Thoughts?

Thanks Rob (Turner100)

oriolepwr - 2012-04-23 3:08 PM
Turner100 - 2012-04-22 3:00 PM

Hi Quincy, thanks for welcoming me! I think that the best way to answer your questions is to just share my bio.

Rob!  Thank you so much for joining TOUR II the "Sequel"  

Turned 40 years old this year, married 15 years, two daughters (13 & 15), who both run cross country and track, and can kick my all day! From Wauwatosa, WI a suburb of Milwaukee.

Daughters are great!  love being a dad.    Wauwatosa   not far!  its great  you are close! (I'm in Gurnee)   Perhaps we will  train together some time.

Former Marine, former RN, currently in sales-which is/was how and why I let myself go. I was big runner, ran 3 marathons including Boston, but that was 17 years ago. PR 3:01, but again that was 17 years ago. I can swim, bike and run. While I was in the Marines, I fell about 15 feet and fractured my talus (foot) bone, and went from a 5'8" 170 lb. guy to a 5'7' (yes, I have shrunk) 230 lb. guy- which sucks.  

DUDE!  you ran Boston!!!  I'm so jelly.   Plus you are fast.   I know you say that was then this is now.   No you are still fast.   your time means you have a very good engine!    You are in the process of overhauling  your engine and chassis.  But you will be fast again!   

One thing I'm wondering is that now you must have some sort of leg height discrepancy   right?  are you wearing any orthotics to correct for this?    If not, I feel like I should at least mention that it would be a good idea to see a podiatrist now  BEFORE issues come up along the way that may cause you to have to see the doc later.  

So, as of January 1st, I started training, without a plan, lol. So far, I've dropped 25 lbs. down to 205, joined TriWisconsin for extra workouts-primarily swims and runs so far. Signed up for Racine, so every time I feel like skipping a workout, I just tell myself, I don't want to drown in Lake Michigan!

Congrats on your weight loss!   and for being so brave to sign up for Racine!!   a few peeps here are going to be there as well.  

Again, no specific training plan, but for the last 10 years I have been plagued with shin splints, so instead of running 5 times a week, it's swim, bike and run. And, guess what, no pain, lol.

I'm going to say that I have confidence that in time you can get past the shin splint issue.  

Since the kids are getting older, I find myself with more time than ever. So, I am really hitting it and training about 12 hours a week, planning on bumping that up to 15.

My only other training has been adding some Yoga, Kettle bells, and water running (my secret weapon). In fact, I only run 3 times a week, but add in an additional 2 hours of water running.

That is some good amount of training minutes you are putting in!   I think you will enjoy your  half iron race!  We will enjoy watching your progress and success!

Not much else, except that I love to eat and drink too much. I really am trying to watch my diet, and am hoping to drop another 20 lbs. by Racine.

DUDE!  I need to lose that 20 too!   perhaps we will add weight loss to our "contest" (whoops did i let that slip again?)  we'll motivate each other and keep away from the grog in order to accomplish. (well keep away from most of it anyhow)

My final note, one of motivations this year is my best friend Mike. We met in high school and ran cross country and track together. Unlike me, Mike stuck to running, completing over 30 marathons and 3 IM's (Madison last year). And, then some idiot, decided to read his text messages, and rear ended him doing 40 miles an hour as Mike was stopped at a red light. The doctor said that if he had not been in ironman condition, he might have been paralyzed. That happened in November, and after his  cervical fusion, he doesn't know if he can ever run again. So, I'm not going to take my health for granted anymore. You never know when the next idiot is going to do something stupid! Sorry for the rant, but every time I get tired and want to skip a workout, I think of Mike, and I get mad, and I hit it.

I read your post and thought of your friend Mike while I ran my 4 miler today.    I agree with you,  we need to keep this mentality top of mind.    Every swim,  run, bike  while we are sweating and pushing,  realize that for some other people its a dream to just be able to do it at all.   And appreciate what we are able to do.

That's it, lol.  I love reading everyone's entries and am really inspired. Looking forward to Racine HIM!

Thanks Rob

Rob,

I need cushioned shoes.  Absolutely.  I get the minimalist thing, but it's not for me.    My honest opinion of  the vibram five fingers (and I could get REALLY flamed for posting this by their viral fans)   I think they are a fad.  Kind of like pet rocks,  lava lamps,  mood rings  and black light posters.    But you know some people swear by them, and if it helps them I'm happy for them and don't want to rain on their parade or be judgmental.     The reality is of course wearing the lightest shoe that gives you enough of whatever support it is you need to stay injury free  is the way to go.  

Racine-Heat/Humidity    I will tell you what.  I have given up thinking that event will ever not be this way.   So ya plan on it.    You are smart for doing your homework on it.       Generally I find that the hotter/humid it is the more nutrition you need.    Just tape extra gu to your frame.   If you don't use it you don't use it.     Also think electrolytes.   Endurlyte tabs is what I use.   I make sure to have these at regular intervals when its really hot/humid out.

Here is my race report from 2010  One of the few races I ever took the time to report on.   There are some good lessons in it  that hopefully you can learn without having to experience them for yourself.

Racine 2010

2012-04-25 3:02 AM
in reply to: #4171048

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-04-24 9:31 PM 

Rob,

I need cushioned shoes.  Absolutely.  I get the minimalist thing, but it's not for me.    My honest opinion of  the vibram five fingers (and I could get REALLY flamed for posting this by their viral fans)   I think they are a fad.  Kind of like pet rocks,  lava lamps,  mood rings  and black light posters.    But you know some people swear by them, and if it helps them I'm happy for them and don't want to rain on their parade or be judgmental.     The reality is of course wearing the lightest shoe that gives you enough of whatever support it is you need to stay injury free  is the way to go.  

Racine-Heat/Humidity    I will tell you what.  I have given up thinking that event will ever not be this way.   So ya plan on it.    You are smart for doing your homework on it.       Generally I find that the hotter/humid it is the more nutrition you need.    Just tape extra gu to your frame.   If you don't use it you don't use it.     Also think electrolytes.   Endurlyte tabs is what I use.   I make sure to have these at regular intervals when its really hot/humid out.

Here is my race report from 2010  One of the few races I ever took the time to report on.   There are some good lessons in it  that hopefully you can learn without having to experience them for yourself.

Racine 2010

ITA agree with both of these statements...vibrams are a fad and Racine will be hot. Just to add, pacing, on the bike and in the first 5-10k, is the key to a finish or a DNF...

Edited by quincyf 2012-04-25 3:03 AM

2012-04-25 3:08 AM
in reply to: #4170984

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-04-24 8:47 PM

Yvonne, Sarah, & Shelly,

Image Detail

Tom   do you have a tri-suit  or a wet suit?    or or  both?    If you have a tri -suit  go ahead and wear that.   You can swim in it and cycle in it and run in it.       If you try and put a shirt on in transition on a wet body,  it will be tough to do, and takes up time.     So wear the tri-suit!   Don't be concerned on what you think you look like.   Seriously everyone is self conscience   Just wear it and be proud!          

That is a Killer of a whale pic!!!  ha I crack me up.

Tom,

Great job on the ridiculous picture, you know how much I love a good picture joke...

Seriously, wear your spandex...you would not believe the pagentry of humanity you will see prancing around in skin tight man made fabrics at a triathlon. Let's just say triathletes come in all shapes and sizes...

2012-04-25 3:11 AM
in reply to: #4170282

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-24 2:05 PM
Sarah73 - 2012-04-24 7:55 AM

Shelly,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm excited we'll be so close. I never seem to know any athletes in my area, so it will be nice to commiserate with someone about the heat and humidity during the summer!

After my husband finished his interventional cardiology fellowship in Toledo, Ohio, we just wanted to head somewhere warm (and my parents live in Montgomery, AL). So we are now in Columbus, GA, which is nice, but things just didn't work out with the group he joined. So, we started looking again, and there was a group in Ocean Springs looking for a new partner. I have to admit, even as an Alabama girl, I was a bit hesitant about moving to Mississippi, but once we saw it, we were hooked! I'm a psychiatrist, and will probably start working part time again once we get down there, but I want some time to check out the place first...maybe get in a few racesWink

What kind of RN are you? It is a pretty small world. I know my husband really relies on the device reps quite a bit, so he has already hooked up with some of the Ocean Springs reps.

I noticed that there are not too many races listed in Mississippi, so it looks like I might be headed over to Louisiana for some. I'll have to get your input before I sign up. Have you lived in Louisiana long?

Sarah

Sarah,

I am a labor and delivery nurse. I have done that for 19 years and still love what I do ;-).

And I have lived here all my life. I was born in New Orleans, grew up in Metairie/ River Ridge and then moved to Hammond/ Ponchatoula  after graduating high school. My familly and my dh's family are all within 45 minutes of us and we are all very close. We have often thought of moving to other states but just aren't willing to give up the family ties. My parents are 6 miles from us and my sister and bil are 20 mi from us. My husband says my sister is our 4th child- lol. I am older than she is by 8 years but we are extremely close. And all of our extended family is just as close. My kids have been blessed with knowing their grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. And of course New Orleans has so much flavor and character that we really can't imagine not being close to it ;-).

And the heat and humidity is soo much fun for training. I mean we just love to sweat.

Shelly

Hhaha, I lived on the gulf coast for 3 years when I was in the Navy. I remember putting my car AC on full blast cold + foot air only to try to cool my feet off...flight boots don't breathe...ugh so stinkin' hot.

2012-04-25 3:25 AM
in reply to: #4170076

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I need some help/advice!

Sarah

Nothing is too basic to ask, and the wetsuit question is a good one...

Does the race in question have any race reports from last year? That might give you an answer about whether or not you need a wetsuit. Do you have a local trishop nearby? Usually you can rent a wetsuit and get credit toward a purchase (just don't put a hole in it with your fingers). Check craigslist for a cheapo...that was the route I went and actually ended up with a decent suit that lasted 2 years...

If you were sure the lake was going to be warm enough I would just swim in my tri-clothes...

And afa as changing, I echo what you've already heard. There is a lot of useless/non-essential "tri" gear out there, but the clothes are very, very good. They tend to be a hybrid of clothes from all three sports as pure swim/bike/run clothing presents problems in multisport. There is no nudity in transition (sad or happy...probably happy as my experience with naked human beings is that the ones who should be nude usually aren't and vice versa) so you can't change. So whatever you get in the water in is what you cross the run finish in. (excepting gear like wetsuits, helmets, etc). Bike shorts can be run in, sure, but it's the big butt sponge in the swim that bothers me...not gonna work. If you're a hard core sprinter, you could do the whole thing in your swim suit, but you'd need a seat cover for your bike and that's actually kind of advanced for now, soooooo....

Your best bang for your buck, imho, is a pair of tri-shorts. You don't even need a tri top as these are just specific running tops and you can invest in one of those later. I would seriously just swim in the tri shorts, jog bra and a thin, tight running shirt. Trying to change into anything at any point will frustrate and slow you down. I pinned my number right on my shirt for my first tri and swam in it, but do yourself a favor and buy a race belt (they're cheap) and put it on in T1...viola...

If you click on my link to my blog, the first mystri tour did a good think tank effort on what you really need for your first tri...goes more in depth...

And on a completely random note, I love my tri shorts so much, I can hardly tolerate the extra padding on my bike shorts now...a lot of people get that way I think...

2012-04-25 3:27 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

And yes, yes I am awake in the middle of the night ruminating on the best things to wear in a triathlon. 

2012-04-25 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you all so much!! The answers really helped!

I think I'm going to try to contact the race director and find out about the water temp, since I couldn't find a race report from last year. There are no tri shops in the area, and the selection from craigslist is pretty minimal, so I would have to order off the internet, which would take too much time.

I'm pretty hardy - viking blood, ya know....and I can't imagine this will be colder than swimming in the fjords of Norway - so maybe I'll just jump in and try it out!!

I really do appreciate all the input, and I'm sure there will be many more questions to come!

Good luck this weekend, Tom!! I can't wait to hear your race reportLaughing

Sarah

2012-04-25 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks everyone for keeping me in the saddle.  I will post orca-ish pictures when I'm done.

Surfing Killer Whale, beautiful sight of Wild Animals on a thrilling whale watching tour in British Columbia, Canada.

I WILL BE ONE FAST WHALE! 

Everybody has gone surfin'  SURFIN' USA

2012-04-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4172121

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-25 10:58 AM

Thanks everyone for keeping me in the saddle.  I will post orca-ish pictures when I'm done.

Surfing Killer Whale, beautiful sight of Wild Animals on a thrilling whale watching tour in British Columbia, Canada.

Atta boy, own it, this is supposed to be fun, and honestly nobody else cares about what you look like, they are all too busy obsessing over their own body worries...Wink

2012-04-25 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4171542

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sarah73 - 2012-04-25 8:12 AM

I think I'm going to try to contact the race director and find out about the water temp, since I couldn't find a race report from last year. There are no tri shops in the area, and the selection from craigslist is pretty minimal, so I would have to order off the internet, which would take too much time.

I'm pretty hardy - viking blood, ya know....and I can't imagine this will be colder than swimming in the fjords of Norway - so maybe I'll just jump in and try it out!!

I really do appreciate all the input, and I'm sure there will be many more questions to come!

Sarah

Well lets all just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into this...

2012-04-25 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4172358

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Quincy,

That really made me laugh out loud for at least a couple of minutes! I promise I will not go naked, and I will not undress in front of any other racers! I'm pretty sure there will be some funny stories to report, though, 'cause I'm known for being pretty goofy. Plus, having no experience in open water racing, transitions, and cycling in general - something has got to happen!

Sarah

Edited by Sarah73 2012-04-25 1:07 PM
2012-04-25 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4172358

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-04-25 12:21 PM
Sarah73 - 2012-04-25 8:12 AM

Sarah

Well lets all just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into this...

One tip from one Viking (ok part Viking) to another:

Leave the helmet and battle axe at home.    Beer is ok just save it till after the race!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-25 2:22 PM

2012-04-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4172342

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-04-25 12:16 PM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-25 10:58 AM

Atta boy, own it, this is supposed to be fun, and honestly nobody else cares about what you look like, they are all too busy obsessing over their own body worries...Wink

X2!  Way to go Big bro!  Are you feeling any better?

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-25 3:24 PM
2012-04-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4172513

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-04-25 1:03 PM

Quincy,

That really made me laugh out loud for at least a couple of minutes! I promise I will not go naked, and I will not undress in front of any other racers! I'm pretty sure there will be some funny stories to report, though, 'cause I'm known for being pretty goofy. Plus, having no experience in open water racing, transitions, and cycling in general - something has got to happen!

Sarah

One of Quincy's lines is  "and then Hilarity ensued"    These are the unexpected odd things that happen,  the fails,  the comedy of it all.  the being ridiculously serious about your performance, until its just ridiculously funny.  Things you learn about yourself in the process.    For example:   I learned that I will actually steal a GU from a spectator, if I need one bad enough.     gotta have fun!      So yes please do the tri and please share the hilarity! 

And now for something completely different!  

I did read your cycling adventure on your blog!    Everyone falls over with clipless pedals  its part of the fun!!   I've been using them for decades and on the order of once per year I still have a fall over "incident"    BTW to answer your question as to why its called "clipless" even though there IS a clip.     These cages that you slipped your feet in  were/are called Toe clips.      So ya pedals that do not have the cage are "clipless"

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-25 2:54 PM
2012-04-25 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Any more room in here for a big, slow, clyde? Don't worry, what I lack in speed I make up for in sarcasm. 

I have no logs entries yet. They are all on dailymile. I can't import them can I? Dang.

2012-04-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4173041

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Lesandtj - 2012-04-25 3:28 PM

Any more room in here for a big, slow, clyde? Don't worry, what I lack in speed I make up for in sarcasm. 

I have no logs entries yet. They are all on dailymile. I can't import them can I? Dang.

Absolutely!   please join the tour,  please share your  bio and the sarcasm.         I'm especially amused that you wanted to join after our last couple of pages of "silly stuff"

Not sure about the daily mile import.  Sorry

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-25 3:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51