BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4546430

User image

New York
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
Jo63 - 2012-12-23 9:55 PM
strikyr - 2012-12-23 7:22 PM
Jo63 - 2012-12-23 6:50 PM
strikyr - 2012-12-23 4:55 PM

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 2:32 PM Welcome newbies! Thanks Karl. Tony, we used to live in Binghamton so we are thinking we could go visit my husbands family and I could race, win/win I will take a look at the course and then decide thanks for the heads up. I just have to say Jake Locker is giving me some good laughs today. Pretty sure they won't be beating the Packers today.

JoAnne sorry to see your Titans have a rough day against the Packers today. That is great that you have family so close to Syracuse so I can see why that would make sense to do that race especially if you can make it racing vacation. If you decide to do it let me know would love to get to see you there and it looks like we'll have a good group of BT'ers up there too. Should be a fun race except for all the hills on that run course.

Just to clear things up...Iam not a Titans fan, I live in Wisconsin and am definetly a cheesehead

JoAnne my apologies and of course you'd be a Packers fan I guess I just misunderstood, well you must be very happy with the Packers performance today.

No need to apologize and yes I am grinining from ear to ear!

Good for you. Ugh. Any other frustrated giants fans in here? If only we knew which team was going to show up on any given day Embarassed

2012-12-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4545701

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 5:10 AM

Wow Will, lots going on, congratulations on the baby! How exciting! And thinking about an IM too, I'm wore out just reading your bio.

How does your wife feel about you attempting an IM? You've already completed a half and marathon so she should have a pretty realistic idea of the # of hours you'll be training. Do you have to sign up before the baby is born? I would wait to sign up if you could. You just never know, you may feel it is not so important once that little bundle arrives . It's hard to imagine now, with nothing to hold or snuggle up to, but the Daddies I've been around don't really want to let those baby girls for very long when they have a chance to hold them.

Now I'm getting all sentimental thinking about when mine were babies.

Yes Will!  Congratulations!  Babies are the best blessing in life!  You made me laugh in your bio when your wife said you had the go ahead to train on the bike again! Laughing

My biggest "mommy comment" would be to talk to your wife about the IM commitment.   Every baby is different.  Some need much more attention than others.  Your wife's moods, post-partum, will be different, too.  Expect some rough, sleepless days for the first 6 to 8 weeks.  After that, your body will adjust to the new schedule.

When is your baby due?  My baby is 3.5.  He's my world! Kiss

2012-12-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4546446

User image

Elite
far northern CA
strikyr - 2012-12-23 7:10 PM
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 9:31 PM

Tracy I'm so glad your power is back on! Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm reading all the goals and I think I'm in some kind of overachievers mentor group. I may need to switch to the Beer Drinker group, except I don't drink Beer......

Dina are you kidding? You're as driven or more driven then the rest of us here. You are definitely in the right group.

Agreed!

2012-12-23 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4546448

User image

Elite
far northern CA
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 7:12 PM

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 2:32 PM Welcome newbies! Thanks Karl. Tony, we used to live in Binghamton so we are thinking we could go visit my husbands family and I could race, win/win I will take a look at the course and then decide thanks for the heads up. I just have to say Jake Locker is giving me some good laughs today. Pretty sure they won't be beating the Packers today.

JoAnne sorry to see your Titans have a rough day against the Packers today. That is great that you have family so close to Syracuse so I can see why that would make sense to do that race especially if you can make it racing vacation. If you decide to do it let me know would love to get to see you there and it looks like we'll have a good group of BT'ers up there too. Should be a fun race except for all the hills on that run course.

Just to clear things up...Iam not a Titans fan, I live in Wisconsin and am definetly a cheesehead

JoAnne my apologies and of course you'd be a Packers fan I guess I just misunderstood, well you must be very happy with the Packers performance today.

Good for you. Ugh. Any other frustrated giants fans in here? If only we knew which team was going to show up on any given day Embarassed

Hahaha!!!!  My husband just called me from the in-laws house.  (Giants game channel is not working after the power came back.)  He asked for the score.  I told him to strap the boy in the car and leave because his dad wasn't going to be happy. Wink

2012-12-23 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4545803

User image

Elite
far northern CA
DirkP - 2012-12-23 6:58 AM

Since we are officially closed we can begin the new session with a few points.  Those who were in the last group are aware that we are not a "triathlon only" group.  We are a support group for every aspect of life and training and racing fits is a small part of what our lives are about.  Over the past year that all of us mentors have been together we have seen or experienced for ourselves our own struggles with life training and general life issues.

Rules for group:

• Mutually respect everyone.  In my time on BT I have never experienced any problems myself but I believe that by giving respect you'll receive it as well.  We are a diverse group of people from all kinds of backgrounds, lifestyles and experiences with a common interest in triathlon.  We can communicate with common courtesy throughout the session.
  • Provide any assistance you can to each member as you feel you can.  We all have different experiences that can help another learn and progress.
  • Remember, there are 4 mentors in this group.  We all may not answer every question that each of you post but we will answer if we have a differing opinion or to provide more reinforcement to the thought already posted.  Please don't take offense if one of us don't respond to your question directly after another mentor has responded.  If you would like to hear from a specific mentor post the question to them specifically to get a direct response.
  • There is no need to feel that you must post a comment to every person's post.  Feel free to post as you like, but there is no need to feel obligated to make multiple post's for every thing that comes up.

All of the mentors are pretty thick skinned so don't worry about offending us if you have a dissenting opinion.  As a matter of fact that is where we can all learn a little bit more.  Debate can sometimes be a great tool to make us think about other views.

Jeff, Jonathon and Warren, do you have anything else to add?

A final WELCOME to the group!!

I love all of you.....dissenting opinions and all! Kiss

Seriously.....all of these guys rock!

2012-12-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4545901

User image

Elite
far northern CA
michgirlsk - 2012-12-23 8:52 AM
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 1:13 AM

I found a used 2005 Felt S25 tri bike.  It's a size 54.  I looked at it today.  It's a solid bike.  It doesn't appear to have any problems.  It doesn't appear to have been crashed.  It shifts super smooth.  The wheels spin pretty good and only appear to be slightly out of true.  It seems to have all of the stock stuff.  Nothing more than behind the seat bottle holders are added on.  It still has the crappy stock saddle, too.

How much would you pay for this bike?  (Of course, I would take it to my friendly Felt dealer for a check up.)

A friend of mine (out of town) is looking for a tri bike and used is right up her alley.  What kind of measurements should she do on herself to help me figure out if this bike would fit her?

Tracy, obviously I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about bikes, but I have tried a couple of tri bikes.  How tall is your friend?  I would think she would have to be tall for a girl for a 54 to fit her well.  For me at ~5'3" I think I would want a size 48.

I know.  That's kind of what I'm thinking, too.  I'm 5'5" with short legs.  She's 5'4" with long legs.  I ride a small Felt B2 with 650 wheels and it fits like a glove.  My Felt road bike with 700 wheels feels like it needs some help.  I really hate being on the edge of the fit spectrum.  If it's still here in a couple weeks when she visits, she can ride it.  If it's not, so be it.

2012-12-23 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Tracy good to hear your power is on. We had some pretty good wind here this week with the storm we had too.
Dina I have to agree with the others, on being an overachiever!!
Bhargav, i will have to let the experts help you on your questions, but it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I am trying to put a plan together and I have 3 plans I am trying to combine...a 12 week winter mantainenece, a 1/2 marathon and jorges winter cycling...so my question is Should I just focus on the 1/2marathon and the cylcling and throw in some swimmimg 2-3 times a week? I think if I spent the time training instead of sitting here trying to figure out a plan I would be way better off.
2012-12-23 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4545914

User image

Elite
far northern CA
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-23 9:09 AM

I found a used 2005 Felt S25 tri bike.  It's a size 54.  I looked at it today.  It's a solid bike.  It doesn't appear to have any problems.  It doesn't appear to have been crashed.  It shifts super smooth.  The wheels spin pretty good and only appear to be slightly out of true.  It seems to have all of the stock stuff.  Nothing more than behind the seat bottle holders are added on.  It still has the crappy stock saddle, too.

How much would you pay for this bike?  (Of course, I would take it to my friendly Felt dealer for a check up.)

A friend of mine (out of town) is looking for a tri bike and used is right up her alley.  What kind of measurements should she do on herself to help me figure out if this bike would fit her?

Tracy,  very nice of you to be doing some research about a bike for your friend.  You know what I'm going to say about the price, right?  I wouldn't pay a dollar for it, if it doesn't fit.

So with that said, let's talk about fit.  If she is good with a tape measure or has a friend (aka you) that is willing to help out, this website has a great tool to figure out the size of the bike that will most likely work for you.  It's obviously ideal to go to a fitter to figure that out, BUT money is often a factor and this is a tool that can work if you go about it correctly.  

OMG!!!!  This is AWESOME!!!  Thank you, Jonathan!

2012-12-23 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Ok, goals

1. Exercise consistently. Run 3x a week, bike once a week, swim once a week. It's a lot less than what I used to do, but it's tons more than what I've been doing the past year. I'm going to force myself not to care how slow/ out of shape I am and just focus on being consistent. Yeah, I'm 30 lbs heavier & haven't trained in a year, so I'm not gonna be able to do what I used to. I'm telling myself to get over it & get out there. Which leads me to my next goal...

2. Lose 30 lbs. Just like the last goal, this is all about being consistent & planning. I'm going to keep reminding myself that my health is a priority.

3. Be happy with doing fewer races and shorter distances. Someday, I would love to see if I could finish an ironman. But now is not that time for me. When I burned out in Aug of 2011, I was training for an HIM. I tried my best to balance things, but it definately put a strain on my marriage. At this point in my life, the training volume required for longer distances is not realistic for me. As much as I would like to pursue the goal of longer distance racing, I need to accept that now is not the time and be happy with fewer races & shorter distances.

2012-12-23 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4546489

User image

Expert
MI

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 10:43 PM Tracy good to hear your power is on. We had some pretty good wind here this week with the storm we had too. Dina I have to agree with the others, on being an overachiever!! Bhargav, i will have to let the experts help you on your questions, but it sounds pretty reasonable to me. I am trying to put a plan together and I have 3 plans I am trying to combine...a 12 week winter mantainenece, a 1/2 marathon and jorges winter cycling...so my question is Should I just focus on the 1/2marathon and the cylcling and throw in some swimmimg 2-3 times a week? I think if I spent the time training instead of sitting here trying to figure out a plan I would be way better off.

First of all, I would say make sure you are not starting off too aggressive!  Before starting any of these plans, make sure you are able to complete week 1 with ease instead of jumping into them, as I would assume they all have a recommended base before starting their plans.  This might mean you can still follow the plan, but don't be afraid to modify them based on your current level.

That said, in regards to combining the plans, I think it is about priorities.  What sport(s) are you really wanting to focus on?  Also, realistically, how much time do you have to fit in the different aspects of the plans?  Of course you don't have to actually respond to these questions, just something more to think about...

I think spending the time now to come up with the plan may serve you well in the future... only because I think you've said in the past you work better with plans.

2012-12-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4546024

User image

Elite
far northern CA
jenbmosley - 2012-12-23 11:24 AM

I heard it would fill up fast - thx to Karl and I am pumped to be part of this group. In fact - I hit the gym this morning and switched up the weights after getting alittle feedback from Karl. I am going to be hurting tomorrow.

I rarely run outside in the dark anymore - near misses and dogs officially scare the crap out of me. When I do, I am plastered in reflective gear and a small blue light that goes under my white long sleeve shirt - easier to see than a regular white light. I agree with you about the holidays - people are in a rush, have too many errands to do, and may not see us out there. Be safe junkies!

I hear you, Jen.  We need to be lit up like Christmas trees!  I'm a big fan of Road ID.  My husband and I are race directors for a 5K/10K that is sponsored by RoadID.  They're awesome.  In my opinion, if bad things happen to you, at least you can be identified.  It's tough to think about, but so very true.

In the last group, I mentioned that I bark back a dogs.  Seriously.....they tuck their tails and run.  It's pretty funny.  I guess my bark is worse than my bite!

2012-12-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4546476

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 10:36 PM

Tracy, obviously I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about bikes, but I have tried a couple of tri bikes.  How tall is your friend?  I would think she would have to be tall for a girl for a 54 to fit her well.  For me at ~5'3" I think I would want a size 48.

I know.  That's kind of what I'm thinking, too.  I'm 5'5" with short legs.  She's 5'4" with long legs.  I ride a small Felt B2 with 650 wheels and it fits like a glove.  My Felt road bike with 700 wheels feels like it needs some help.  I really hate being on the edge of the fit spectrum.  If it's still here in a couple weeks when she visits, she can ride it.  If it's not, so be it.

Tracy to give you a little perspective for what it's worth I'm 6'0" with long legs I ride a 56 although it's a Cervelo and not a Felt. Sounds like a 54 might be a little big but like you said she can check out to know for sure.

2012-12-23 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4546506

User image

Elite
far northern CA
strikyr - 2012-12-23 7:58 PM
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 10:36 PM

Tracy to give you a little perspective for what it's worth I'm 6'0" with long legs I ride a 56 although it's a Cervelo and not a Felt. Sounds like a 54 might be a little big but like you said she can check out to know for sure.

Yeah.  That's what we're all thinking.  When she gets here, I'll put her on both of my bikes and let her rip.  That will give her a great baseline to work with.

Thanks everyone! Smile

2012-12-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4546501

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
michgirlsk - 2012-12-23 10:54 PM

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 10:43 PM Tracy good to hear your power is on. We had some pretty good wind here this week with the storm we had too. Dina I have to agree with the others, on being an overachiever!! Bhargav, i will have to let the experts help you on your questions, but it sounds pretty reasonable to me. I am trying to put a plan together and I have 3 plans I am trying to combine...a 12 week winter mantainenece, a 1/2 marathon and jorges winter cycling...so my question is Should I just focus on the 1/2marathon and the cylcling and throw in some swimmimg 2-3 times a week? I think if I spent the time training instead of sitting here trying to figure out a plan I would be way better off.

First of all, I would say make sure you are not starting off too aggressive!  Before starting any of these plans, make sure you are able to complete week 1 with ease instead of jumping into them, as I would assume they all have a recommended base before starting their plans.  This might mean you can still follow the plan, but don't be afraid to modify them based on your current level.

That said, in regards to combining the plans, I think it is about priorities.  What sport(s) are you really wanting to focus on?  Also, realistically, how much time do you have to fit in the different aspects of the plans?  Of course you don't have to actually respond to these questions, just something more to think about...

I think spending the time now to come up with the plan may serve you well in the future... only because I think you've said in the past you work better with plans.

Samantha I agree with you. I won't profess to be an expert but I think you can do some unstructured workouts until you decide on what you want to focus on. For example I have been focused on the building strength and power on the bike so I have been doing Jorge's winter cycling program that is my focus. I have been swimming 3x a week pretty much unstructured just trying to improve my technique. I have been in maintainence mode with the running doing that 2 to 3 times a week with runs of 6.5, 8.5 and 6 or less miles. Come Feb. I will switch the swim and run over to the IM training plan that I have chosen and will do the same for the bike in March. Until then I'll be doing what I have been for the last couple of months.

2012-12-23 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I feel like I'm getting back to my feisty self!  I better go to bed before the boys get home from the in-laws so I can take advantage of Christmas eve!  Heheeheehhee!!!!!! Tongue out
2012-12-23 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4546448

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:12 PM

Bhargav I hate to disappoint but I am a life long Cowboys fan however I share your fustration and feel the way same every week I watch them. You never know which team is going to show up and they find more ways to disappoint me then I'd like to admit. At least both our teams still have a chance at the playoffs although I am keeping my expectations very low this way I won't be disappointed (again) if they don't make it.

2012-12-23 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4546498

User image

Elite
far northern CA
jpbis26 - 2012-12-23 7:51 PM

Ok, goals

1. Exercise consistently. Run 3x a week, bike once a week, swim once a week. It's a lot less than what I used to do, but it's tons more than what I've been doing the past year. I'm going to force myself not to care how slow/ out of shape I am and just focus on being consistent. Yeah, I'm 30 lbs heavier & haven't trained in a year, so I'm not gonna be able to do what I used to. I'm telling myself to get over it & get out there. Which leads me to my next goal...

2. Lose 30 lbs. Just like the last goal, this is all about being consistent & planning. I'm going to keep reminding myself that my health is a priority.

3. Be happy with doing fewer races and shorter distances. Someday, I would love to see if I could finish an ironman. But now is not that time for me. When I burned out in Aug of 2011, I was training for an HIM. I tried my best to balance things, but it definately put a strain on my marriage. At this point in my life, the training volume required for longer distances is not realistic for me. As much as I would like to pursue the goal of longer distance racing, I need to accept that now is not the time and be happy with fewer races & shorter distances.

I've been focusing on Sprints since my little boy was born.  It's fun to do the short stuff!  Long training commitments are not necessary.  My little guy even asks if I did my run or bike ride!  He's a big fan!  I love him! Laughing

2012-12-24 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Jo - Just prayed for Margie.  Please keep us updated!

My goals - finish a full IM

Thanks for all the congrats!  Baby girl is due March 15 and we are super excited.  Not sure when I'll sign up, but I have option to drop down to HIM.  I know the baby will rock our world... but am hoping a few things offset it.  First, my wife will cease working and become a stay at home mom.  Second, this year I get 3 weeks of replenishment leave for my job (in addition to my 4 weeks vacation).  If I can schedule the height of my training during those 3 weeks and scatter some vacation here and there, then I'm thinking I will have plenty of time to spend w/ family.  Third, I just want to finish so I will be doing a beginner training plan (not as many training hours as ppl who want to "race" or finish "MOP").  

Plan right now is to sign up as soon as I feel good about it.  Not only do I want to be sure this will work w/ new baby... I also want to feel good about whatever training plan I end up with - I want to feel confident that I can finish.  I hope this group helps me make the decision, so feel free to shoot me straight.  If you think I'm crazy to do this b/c of lack of training or new baby (even considering above circumstances), please shoot me straight.  Thanks everyone!

2012-12-24 5:23 AM

User image

Michigan

I'm getting motivated just reading the goals in this group - pretty impressive!  At this point, mine are pretty simple - one goal, to finish a sprint tri.  I'll probably pick a local rage in May / June.  To get there:

1) Swim - Focus on becoming comfortable in the water.  Roughly, get some instruction on form and make it to the pool 2-3 times per week through January, then consider joining a masters' swim group.  I know there are a couple of beginner swim programs on this site - I would appreciate any suggestions / guidance on books, plans, etc.

2) Get my run mileage up a bit. Part of me wants to target a half-mary in the spring, but I would need to really crank up the mileage, and I don't want to risk injury/ compromise goal #1.  I'll probably try to run local 5k / 10k consistently through the cold months.

3) Bike - 2-3 times per week, maybe try to incorporate one interval workout per week.  

Thoughts? 

2012-12-24 7:15 AM

User image

Bronze member

Love reading all the goals! I'm going to let the mentors comment on plans etc as I have a hard enough time not screwing up my own training . This is a very diverse group, good stuff. Everything ranging from first sprint to full Ironman to tearing up the podium. A little something for everyone.

I had a great workout yesterday. I actually pulled myself out from the basement and enjoyed a rare calm, sunny, 48 degree day here in IL. I went to the local state park and road some laps around (it is a short 6 mile loop) and then ran one lap around the trail (2.5 miles). Fun stuff, my legs are feeling it today!

My Garmin said low battery for this entire workout and I had just charged it the night before. So I talked to my husband last night. I bought this one used from BT a couple of years ago. Since I need a new HR monitor too he said just buy something else already. So I hit the BT classifieds and found a used Garmin 310XT with a premium HR strap and antenna + stick. Merry Christmas to me . The person I am buying this one from has mentioned he has another so if anyone is in the market just check out the classifieds!

2012-12-24 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4546454

User image

Bronze member
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 9:15 PM
strikyr - 2012-12-23 7:10 PM
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 9:31 PM

Tracy I'm so glad your power is back on! Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm reading all the goals and I think I'm in some kind of overachievers mentor group. I may need to switch to the Beer Drinker group, except I don't drink Beer......

Dina are you kidding? You're as driven or more driven then the rest of us here. You are definitely in the right group.

Agreed!

I swear I wasn't fishing for compliments, it just struck me how specific everyone's goals are and I just kind of go day to day and see what happens. But thanks you two .

2012-12-24 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4546534

User image

Bronze member
RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 10:27 PM
jpbis26 - 2012-12-23 7:51 PM

Ok, goals

I've been focusing on Sprints since my little boy was born.  It's fun to do the short stuff!  Long training commitments are not necessary.  My little guy even asks if I did my run or bike ride!  He's a big fan!  I love him! Laughing

x2 Last year was all sprints for me and I can not tell how much fun I had. NO pressure with distance but I still did long rides and swims just because I like them. The summer of 2011 I raced a HIM. I was obsessive about the training plan, blabbered on about nutrition/workouts/weather etc to my poor husband all the time. I completed the race, did not puke was very proud of that accomplishment but it is not something I need to do again any time soon. I completely understand the burnout you experienced.

2012-12-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4546444

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
bhargavs - 2012-12-23 10:08 PM

I'd love to hear from your thoughts on it. 

1) Use the winter to improve the swim. Swim 4x a week. Get to 100 continuous yards by the end of Jan; and one continuous mile by April 15. I saw a few people point to this site (http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html) for a 6 week plan once you can get to 700 yards of almost continuous swimming.

2)  Complete the galloway couch to 10k training program by March 30th. I have no idea what my speed is going to be post my surgeries; so I don't have a time goal yet. 

3) Bike 2x a week during the winter. I've been quite active on the bike all year, so this is more on maintenance mode as I focus on the other two.

4) Harriman State Park Sprint tri on May 5; NYC tri on Jul 14

And most importantly, staying injury free and enjoying the journey every bit of the way!

1. Your swim goals are pretty strong.  I don't think to complete a sprint you would need to spend that much time in the pool as you get later into your training.  I suggest you keep with a 4 swims per week for January and then you could drop to 3 if you like.  I also suggest using the this site to help you develop proper form.  And also study Mr Swimsmooth to get a good idea of what you should look like and feel like in the water.  I have seen and read about the program that you are looking at and I think the intervals would be very helpful.  However, I think it best to make sure you get s solid form going now rather than developing bad habits that you will desire to break later. 
  2. The couch to 10k shouldn't be terribly challenging for you from a fitness perspective.  The challenge could be staying smart with your training.  Much of your training should be to develop the minor stabilizing muscles in your legs as well as the major muscles you need to develop.  Below are some exercises you can do to get the stability back that you had pre-op.  To strengthen your major muscles, glutes, quads, etc.  I suggest typical gym exercises such as leg presses, squats, and leg extensions.
    Stability exercises:
    a.)  The first part of this video is used to strengthen the lateral muscles while the second part for the primary muscles of the leg and knee.  It is likely you used these types of exercises already and they may not be required.  You'll have to be the judge
    b.This exercise was very demanding for me post op.  I remember thinking how easy this was going to be when the PT told me to do it for only 30 seconds.  I WAS WRONG!!  This exercise could be done with the assistance of others if you don't have a small trampoline to use to bounce the ball back and forth.  You can also use 2 small trampolines rather than a bosu ball.   For more difficulty you can balance on one foot (the weak one) and really get a great work out.  You can do this for varying lengths of time to make sure your leg is fatigued
    c.)  These final exercises will provide strength all around your knee.  They are advanced so proceed with caution.  The first exercise will be similar to the one above but this will provide strengthening for small and larger muscles but the larger focus on stabilizing muscles.  The second, will have a larger focus on the big muscles.  A word of caution here: Be sure to keep your the toes of your front foot in front of your knee during this exercise.  Your knee should NEVER pass beyond your toes.  (This applies for squats and leg presses too.)  This last exercise will get you ready for impacts of running and develop those shock absorption muscles a little further.
  3. 2x a week on the bike will keep you from losing fitness provided you complete some hard interval work.  It may also provide a few fitness gains if well thought out.  You may consider some shorter intervals (3-5) of 5-6 minutes at threshold with short recovery periods around one minute for one of the rides and then some long intervals of 12-15 minutes just below threshold.  Plan 1 one hour ride and another 1.5-2 hour long ride.
  4. You'll be ready to smoke the course come May 5!!!

Take your time with the running.  Since I don't know how strong your knee actually is, you'll need to proceed with caution.  If there are any kinds of painful tweaks when you are running you'll need to assess before going any farther.

In general, I think you have a decent plan in mind.  You have a long time to get ready for that first race, so fitness will not be a problem at all.

2012-12-24 8:06 AM

User image

NH

ok, do you people know it's Christmas time!  Phew, this group is busy.  Awesome stories for everyone,a nd a nice diverse group.

I'll add a few things to Dirk and Jonathan's comments:

1. This sport is fun, and none of us are pros. Revel in each others' accomplishments, and compare yourself only to what you could have done on that day.

2. Keep it in perspective, but give everything you have on race day.  Puke leading up to the finish line = too hard, puke after the finish line = too easy, puke at the finish line = perfect! 

2012-12-24 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4545885

User image

NH

jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-23 11:31 AM And if anyone comes across a sweet deal on a Garmin 910XT, I need to know about it!!

Jonathan, I occasionally get these 25% off offers, and if one comes across I'll nab one for you if you don't already have it.  That's how I got mine.  Crazy discount.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119