BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-12-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Geneva, IL
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Open

Hi there, I have read the mentor group rules and it says to add people in your group so they can see your training log. I have seen about 25ish emails come through since I joined yesterday but is there a quick way to know who to add to view my training logs! I am lost already HAHA.

Thanks!!

Katie

2012-12-27 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4545941

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
JBacarella - 2012-12-23 12:46 PM

Scott ? Are you ready to come back to Tawas and do the HIM again?

Jim-  I haven't decided on anything yet.  The whole season is still up in the air.  Was thinking about testing out the ankle again this weekend.  I would like to get back up there for that race.  It's always a fun one.

2012-12-27 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4549543

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Ktbollman - 2012-12-27 9:38 AM

Hi there, I have read the mentor group rules and it says to add people in your group so they can see your training log. I have seen about 25ish emails come through since I joined yesterday but is there a quick way to know who to add to view my training logs! I am lost already HAHA.

Thanks!!

Katie

Hi, Katie.  There are four "privacy settings" for viewing your training log:

• everyone can see it - including non-registered users
  • all registered users can see it - basically everyone who has a user name
  • your "friends" can see it - every user you have identified as a friend can see it, but no one else (friends are added under the Training Log Customization section under Settings
  • totally private - only you can see it

I think most folks in general use either 2 or 3 above...depending on how private you want your log/blog to be.  Personally, I let all registered users to see it because if they're interested in my boring workout life than so be it.  Cool

This is all under the Settings/Training Log Settings tab.

2012-12-27 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4549112

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

ernestov - 2012-12-26 9:16 PM Mitch, very good workouts lately. If you train wise this will be a breakthrough year for you. Don't be afraid to go fast, it's in you. Like I've always said, injuries come from overuse, not from speedwork (they only manifest during hard workouts). Work hard, REST PROPERLY and stay consistent. By the love of God, swim 6 to 8K a week, every week until it becomes a part of you, not only it will help you become a better swimmer, it will also expand your aerobic base.

That's some tough love there! 

Swimming has been has been a challenge to me over my short career.  Not so much that I can't swim or fear water or anything really negative like that, but I just can't seem to get past that hump of 1:5X speed-wise.  I'm seriously considering the local Masters class at my gym...there's a relatively low financial commitment compared to most Masters teams and I know I'll get a lot out of it.  But, jeez they swim at 5:45 a.m...I HATE SWIMMING IN THE EARLY MORNING!!!  Biking/running...OK at 5:30 a.m....swimming, nada.

2012-12-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4549609

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
jmhpsu93 - 2012-12-27 9:08 AM

ernestov - 2012-12-26 9:16 PM Mitch, very good workouts lately. If you train wise this will be a breakthrough year for you. Don't be afraid to go fast, it's in you. Like I've always said, injuries come from overuse, not from speedwork (they only manifest during hard workouts). Work hard, REST PROPERLY and stay consistent. By the love of God, swim 6 to 8K a week, every week until it becomes a part of you, not only it will help you become a better swimmer, it will also expand your aerobic base.

That's some tough love there! 

Swimming has been has been a challenge to me over my short career.  Not so much that I can't swim or fear water or anything really negative like that, but I just can't seem to get past that hump of 1:5X speed-wise.  I'm seriously considering the local Masters class at my gym...there's a relatively low financial commitment compared to most Masters teams and I know I'll get a lot out of it.  But, jeez they swim at 5:45 a.m...I HATE SWIMMING IN THE EARLY MORNING!!!  Biking/running...OK at 5:30 a.m....swimming, nada.

In a way, you'll find that swimming is very much like running or biking.  You can't get better/faster at it unless you put some serious time in.  However unlike biking and running, to an extent, swimming is very much technique dependent and there's lots you can do with the technical aspect of your swimming to get more speed at your current fitness level.  Lessons or sessions with a good coach at a master's swim club are priceless, otherwise you can do what I did:  I watched a ton of youtube videos by reputable coaches (such as TI) and replicated what I saw during my pool sessions.

Don't forget the offseason is a good time to develop some swim fitness as well, since you've got more time to devote to it since running and biking outside get limited by weather (at least they do in MN).  I just read an article yesterday about taking a couple one week blocks and swimming every day.  And "speed work" in the pool, or hard intervals will make a huge difference in your swim fitness as well.  My current favorite is to do a 200 yard block where each 50 gets progressively faster so you're at an all out sprint on your last 50.  So I might start the first 50 at a 1:40-1:45 pace, then by the last 50 I'm sprinting at a 1:15 pace, something that I can't hold for more than 50-100 yards at best.

Hope that helps!

2012-12-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4549112

User image

Master

@ Ernesto - Thanks for recognition and confidence.  Did my first running speed workout yesterday and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous how my leg would respond.  Leg feels fine and I was ready to go this morning for a cycling interval workout.  Shins had started bothering me and once I put on new pair of running shoes they feel better. I need the tough love on the swimming and its noted.  I just have to execute.  Thanks again!

@ Jackie - you're giving me way too much props for December.  The real animals in our band of merry triathlete are Gabe and Andy.

2012-12-27 10:37 AM

Vancouver

Ernesto, 

Reading
about your experience and enthusiasm I would like to be part of the group.

Not sure how to access the form? Short answers below.

Background:

I grew up in Colorado Springs, Co. Participated in high school sports (Football, Wrestling)
and was fortunate to be on both very successful teams and a few that did ok. (There
are great life lessons in both winning and losing) Went to college and ran some
cross country and was in excellent shape.

Got out of college started working in corporate America. Began my own business in
1997 and stuck with it until late 2011. At that point I chose a new path and
began working for a company. Although stopping my own company was a tough
choice it has been rewarding in many ways. First I have more time to exercise, quality
time with my 5 young daughters, and work less hours. MORE BALANCE in my life. (Very
rewarding) I was diagnosed with diabetes on January 10 of 2010. Haven’t taken
it seriously as I had never been sick in the past and was in denial. A few
months ago I started taking it seriously.

Family Status:

Father of 5 daughters and very patient wife. (No longer trying for a son)

Current Training:

Gym 3-4 x per week. Started swimming last January after taking some classes at the
local club it has become very enjoyable.  Running brought my 13 minute mile to a 10
minute mile by the end of march 2012, but hasn’t been running due to swimming.
Cycling have ridden several century rides. Also rode RAGBRAI in 2004. (FUN),
weights 1x per week, stretching 2+ times per week in the evenings.

This Year’s Races:

Sprint at Blue Lake in Oregon, looking for others.

Weight loss:

Currently working to lose 50 pounds. I have lost 11 bounds so far in that journey and
starting to feel better. I have also been eating more “vegetables” and skipping
coffee shops, fast food, and late night eating.

What will make me a good Mentee:

I enjoy learning and trying new things. Getting out on the streets to avoid a
little drama is also helpfulJ. I’m very consistent and enjoy reaching goals. Team player enjoy seeing others succeed through consistancy. Enjoy humor, and have learned to not take things so seriously and laugh at myself. Life is wonderful and like being part of a group of people working to make theirs better.

Best Regards,

Marc

2012-12-27 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4549824

User image

Master
Dallas
Pitch - 2012-12-27 10:37 AM

Ernesto, 

Reading
about your experience and enthusiasm I would like to be part of the group.

Not sure how to access the form? Short answers below.

Background:

I grew up in Colorado Springs, Co. Participated in high school sports (Football, Wrestling)
and was fortunate to be on both very successful teams and a few that did ok. (There
are great life lessons in both winning and losing) Went to college and ran some
cross country and was in excellent shape.

Got out of college started working in corporate America. Began my own business in
1997 and stuck with it until late 2011. At that point I chose a new path and
began working for a company. Although stopping my own company was a tough
choice it has been rewarding in many ways. First I have more time to exercise, quality
time with my 5 young daughters, and work less hours. MORE BALANCE in my life. (Very
rewarding) I was diagnosed with diabetes on January 10 of 2010. Haven’t taken
it seriously as I had never been sick in the past and was in denial. A few
months ago I started taking it seriously.

Family Status:

Father of 5 daughters and very patient wife. (No longer trying for a son)

Current Training:

Gym 3-4 x per week. Started swimming last January after taking some classes at the
local club it has become very enjoyable.  Running brought my 13 minute mile to a 10
minute mile by the end of march 2012, but hasn’t been running due to swimming.
Cycling have ridden several century rides. Also rode RAGBRAI in 2004. (FUN),
weights 1x per week, stretching 2+ times per week in the evenings.

This Year’s Races:

Sprint at Blue Lake in Oregon, looking for others.

Weight loss:

Currently working to lose 50 pounds. I have lost 11 bounds so far in that journey and
starting to feel better. I have also been eating more “vegetables” and skipping
coffee shops, fast food, and late night eating.

What will make me a good Mentee:

I enjoy learning and trying new things. Getting out on the streets to avoid a
little drama is also helpfulJ. I’m very consistent and enjoy reaching goals. Team player enjoy seeing others succeed through consistancy. Enjoy humor, and have learned to not take things so seriously and laugh at myself. Life is wonderful and like being part of a group of people working to make theirs better.

Best Regards,

Marc 

Marc, welcome to the group. Thank God your wife quit trying for the boy! I feel your pain though, my house has almost zero testosterone and it can be painful for us boys...
2012-12-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4549090

User image

Expert
Guatemala

temoniprince - 2012-12-26 7:02 PM ok I guess i will be ordering one now lol

X3 on the Garmin 910XT.  For triathletes it is worth spending a little more over the 310XT for the swim functionality (it records your number of strokes, laps, distance, efficiency index, gives you vibrating alarms over distance, etc).  Also the screen of the 910 XT is more protected than the 310XT, which doesn't sound like much, but I have several friends that already broke the glass on their 310XT's.  

2012-12-27 12:17 PM

Triathlon newbie ready to learn

Name: Neal

Story: Brand new to triathlon.  Have been primarily a runner in the past. I am active Air Force stationed at Los Angeles AFB.  Have completed a half marathon, full marathon, RAGNAR relay,and plenty of 5k and 10k races in the past.  Looking to take on the challenge of triathlon. Will be moving this summer to Kansas, so want to start off the year right to continue the momentum during the move. 

Family Status: Married with two great kids ages 8 and 6. Wife is very supportive of my military career.  Looking to balance training with family time. 

Current Training: Beginning to incorporate biking and swimming into my training.  

This years races: Planning on a Sprint Tri the end of February and Olympic distance in March. Looking to do Olympic distance at Wildflower in early May.  

Weight Loss Goals: Looking to maintain and gain overall fitness through triathlon. 

Looking forward to this new adventure and tips from those with more experience to guide me along the way

Neal

2012-12-27 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4549856

User image

Master
sirgab - 2012-12-27 11:50 AM

temoniprince - 2012-12-26 7:02 PM ok I guess i will be ordering one now lol

X3 on the Garmin 910XT.  For triathletes it is worth spending a little more over the 310XT for the swim functionality (it records your number of strokes, laps, distance, efficiency index, gives you vibrating alarms over distance, etc).  Also the screen of the 910 XT is more protected than the 310XT, which doesn't sound like much, but I have several friends that already broke the glass on their 310XT's.  

Yet one more advocate for the 910xt. I used to rock a Polar running watch, and the Garmin beats it hands down.Edit to my post above, I meant to say my first running speed workout since my stress fracture in June...trying not to go there again, not fun.

2012-12-27 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4550045

User image

Master
roachn - 2012-12-27 1:17 PM

Story: Brand new to triathlon.  Have been primarily a runner in the past. I am active Air Force stationed at Los Angeles AFB.  Have completed a half marathon, full marathon, RAGNAR relay,and plenty of 5k and 10k races in the past.  Looking to take on the challenge of triathlon. Will be moving this summer to Kansas, so want to start off the year right to continue the momentum during the move. 

Family Status: Married with two great kids ages 8 and 6. Wife is very supportive of my military career.  Looking to balance training with family time. 

Current Training: Beginning to incorporate biking and swimming into my training.  

This years races: Planning on a Sprint Tri the end of February and Olympic distance in March. Looking to do Olympic distance at Wildflower in early May.  

Weight Loss Goals: Looking to maintain and gain overall fitness through triathlon. 

Looking forward to this new adventure and tips from those with more experience to guide me along the way

Neal

Possibly doing the Chicago ragnar this summer, did you do your ragnar (which one) with 12 or 6 runners? Interested for any tips you have...we are planning on 6 runners.
2012-12-27 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4550045

User image

Master
Dallas
roachn - 2012-12-27 12:17 PM

Neal

We have our second Air Force member here! Scott is also AF (I think he's a Captain). Welcome to the gang. Ask away!

2012-12-27 1:15 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi Ernesto!  Your busy life motivates me to join your group. Long working days and father of 2 (not five!) and many travels for work.  But, after running many 10k, some half marathons and 1 marathon, I decided to take the triathlon challenge.  Good at biking, not bad at swimming, so I will wait to hear from you. BW
2012-12-27 1:31 PM

Issaquah, WA

Hi, I would like to join the group.

When can I start: Now

Name: Lisa/NWrunner

Story: I have alway enjoyed being active. I've been swimming and cycling most of my life, tried running off and on with mixed results. Nine years ago at 42 I joined a womans rec league soccer team. A few of my team mates were doing tris and asked me to join them. My excuse for saying no was that I suck at running. After reading about how much fun they had in their race reports I decided to sign up for a tri.

The one person who said she would train with me lost interest after I had signed up so I was on my own. I had no clue about training. At first I tried to cobble a plan together on my own based on advice from others and what I had read on line. This only led to confusion and medicore results. 

Finding this site is what turned my training around. I joined a year ago with the idea that I would follow a plan and improve my times. Unfortunately a shoulder injury meant I couldn't swim so I decided to focus on running, my weakest sport. Following the Half Marathon Plan allowed my to run without injury or pain for the first time and take 10 minutes off my 10K time.

I also hike, xc ski, or snowshoe most weekends.

This season I will be doing another half marathon in the spring followed by two tris.

Family Status: Married 26 years with two children, 18 year old son and 22 year old daughter. We have three soon to be four cats. I am also responslble for all my parent's medical and financial needs.

Current Training: I'm doing a winter maintenance plan. I have fallen off a bit from my training and really fallen off of keeping my log up. Being in this group will keep me accountable as I don't want to appear to be a slacker.

What would make me a good mentee: Seeing the postive results from training for the half marathon has showed me the value of following a good plan.

Lisa

2012-12-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4550150

User image

Master
Dallas
Juancho - 2012-12-27 1:15 PM Hi Ernesto!  Your busy life motivates me to join your group. Long working days and father of 2 (not five!) and many travels for work.  But, after running many 10k, some half marathons and 1 marathon, I decided to take the triathlon challenge.  Good at biking, not bad at swimming, so I will wait to hear from you. BW
Welcome Juancho! (Is that your name?). Give us more details about you. The people wants to know...

2012-12-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4550174

User image

Master
Dallas
NWrunner - 2012-12-27 1:31 PM

Hi, I would like to join the group.

When can I start: Now

Name: Lisa/NWrunner

Story: I have alway enjoyed being active. I've been swimming and cycling most of my life, tried running off and on with mixed results. Nine years ago at 42 I joined a womans rec league soccer team. A few of my team mates were doing tris and asked me to join them. My excuse for saying no was that I suck at running. After reading about how much fun they had in their race reports I decided to sign up for a tri.

The one person who said she would train with me lost interest after I had signed up so I was on my own. I had no clue about training. At first I tried to cobble a plan together on my own based on advice from others and what I had read on line. This only led to confusion and medicore results. 

Finding this site is what turned my training around. I joined a year ago with the idea that I would follow a plan and improve my times. Unfortunately a shoulder injury meant I couldn't swim so I decided to focus on running, my weakest sport. Following the Half Marathon Plan allowed my to run without injury or pain for the first time and take 10 minutes off my 10K time.

I also hike, xc ski, or snowshoe most weekends.

This season I will be doing another half marathon in the spring followed by two tris.

Family Status: Married 26 years with two children, 18 year old son and 22 year old daughter. We have three soon to be four cats. I am also responslble for all my parent's medical and financial needs.

Current Training: I'm doing a winter maintenance plan. I have fallen off a bit from my training and really fallen off of keeping my log up. Being in this group will keep me accountable as I don't want to appear to be a slacker.

What would make me a good mentee: Seeing the postive results from training for the half marathon has showed me the value of following a good plan.

Lisa 

Lisa, welcome to the group. You will get consistency here, as long as you visit the thread periodically you will find lots of motivation too.
2012-12-27 2:19 PM

User image

Baltimore

Hi Ernesto and group,

This looks like a good place to start, seems to be quite a bit of combined experience in here.

I'm 49, almost 50. My only goal is to make the 50s my decade, take my training seriously, do some tri's, bike racing, cyclocross. Did a few cyclocross races this fall but I was simply unprepared for that level of exertion. I can do long distances, ride all day, but need to work on that high HR stuff, intervals etc.

Weight-I'm not terribly overweight, at six foot and 190-95 lbs I can certainly see getting down 20 lbs or so. This has dogged me forever on the bike, too much weight on the climbs but kill it on the flats.

Experience-I bike lots, or pretty much, 7000 miles in 2012, have run races, 5k, 10k, half marathon, but I'm very inconsistent in my training and have run several races with virtually no training. I did a sprint try a few years back and though the swim was very short it felt like torture. I'm signed up for a sprint next Sept, an event that I could not attend this year so they're holding my reservation.

I belong to a swim club here in Baltimore, great facility, lots of triathlete's, Michael Phelps and other olympians call it home, so lots of inspiration there. That said I can't seem to grasp the swimming thing and believe my next step is to take some lessons.

My goals-more consistent training, sprint, olympic, possibly half IM in the next year or two. Bike racing, MTB and cyclocross. Learning to swim better.

Thanks,

Harry

2012-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4550276

User image

Master
Dallas
HC203 - 2012-12-27 2:19 PM

Hi Ernesto and group,

This looks like a good place to start, seems to be quite a bit of combined experience in here.

I'm 49, almost 50. My only goal is to make the 50s my decade, take my training seriously, do some tri's, bike racing, cyclocross. Did a few cyclocross races this fall but I was simply unprepared for that level of exertion. I can do long distances, ride all day, but need to work on that high HR stuff, intervals etc.

Weight-I'm not terribly overweight, at six foot and 190-95 lbs I can certainly see getting down 20 lbs or so. This has dogged me forever on the bike, too much weight on the climbs but kill it on the flats.

Experience-I bike lots, or pretty much, 7000 miles in 2012, have run races, 5k, 10k, half marathon, but I'm very inconsistent in my training and have run several races with virtually no training. I did a sprint try a few years back and though the swim was very short it felt like torture. I'm signed up for a sprint next Sept, an event that I could not attend this year so they're holding my reservation.

I belong to a swim club here in Baltimore, great facility, lots of triathlete's, Michael Phelps and other olympians call it home, so lots of inspiration there. That said I can't seem to grasp the swimming thing and believe my next step is to take some lessons.

My goals-more consistent training, sprint, olympic, possibly half IM in the next year or two. Bike racing, MTB and cyclocross. Learning to swim better.

Thanks,

Harry

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the group. You will be one of the final ones accepted, bus is getting full. I love to have someone that cycles a lot, I love the bike as well. Hats off to you for doing CX, I tried and after four races and multiple falls I decided it was not for me, although I placed well. Too many mishaps! I also do Crit racing, and next year I might do a couple of stage races if possible, a couple Gran Fondos too, mostly as part of my Ironman training.

If you like cycling, you will like tris even more. the trick about the water is to learn good form (80%) and putting yards (20%).

2012-12-27 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4547119

User image

New user

Is there a specific form or format to post bio? And should it be a reply to you or a new post altogether. I am trying to get the hang of this format and all this site has to offer. Will post bio later today and look forward to all you have to offer as well as all the other members. Have to thank you all in advance as I figure all the tech stuff and get better at posting and following threads, lol
2012-12-27 2:38 PM

New user

Hi Ernesto,

I would like to join your group! 

Name:  Denise 
Username:  neeceeb

I am 46 years old.  I am and have been a couch potato for most of my life.  I want to make a change and become more active.  I have always wanted to participate in a triathlon, and I am finally ready to do more than simply talk about it.  I own a bike, I have a pool in my back yard, and I belong to a gym, so I really have no excuse.  All that was lacking was the motivation, and I believe I've finally found it.  2013 will be my year!

I am married - my husband lives a sedentary life as well.  We live in central New Jersey.  I haven't figured out which sprint triathlon I will do yet, but I'm looking for something in NJ in late summer or early fall.

Denise

2012-12-27 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4550293

User image

Baltimore

Great, glad I'm in. Yah, I love to bike but may need to dial back a bit to focus on the run and swim. As for swim I've read the Total Immersion book, which I own, I watch the swimmers at my gym, and I do fine with a float, I think it's mostly psychological, fear of water etc.

I like the long ride, I'm also signed up for the Total 200 in late June. I fell in my third CX race, bailed out, messed up my shoulder for weeks, but call me crazy I think I'll give it another go next season.

2012-12-27 2:45 PM

User image

Baltimore
Question-I am looking at the training plans here on BT and am contemplating the GOLD membership to get a customizable 20 week Oly plan. Think it's worth it?
2012-12-27 3:08 PM

User image

Hi, I'm Rebecca.  I'm a 22 year old graduate student going for an MBA in accounting.  I'm attempting my first Ironman this summer at IMMT, and am very excited but also a little bit nervous.  I'm very dedicated to fitness (although this holiday season did add a couple of pounds!) and have been an active person for my whole life.  This will be my second year in triathlon, and I feel quite at home in this sport.  I could really use some guidance, sometimes, however and would love to be a part of this mentor program!

2012-12-27 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4550312

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ
Welcome! WHere in NJ do you live, i live 117 on the parkway!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100