BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-01-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
I hate days like that. Me I woke up to do an hour on the trainer. I only managed 45 minutes. I don't know if my legs are that thrashed from this weekend or this slight cold is affecting me more than I realize.

Todd, you may want to check the decibel rating on your trainer vs. others. I have a Kurt Kinetic and I don't think it would be loud enough to bother my DS even when he was little and I do know that some of them can be quite loud like the Lemond.

My .02 on swimming, I just picked up Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes. I really like how it is written and I think if you consider this along with technique like Swimsmooth then you are off and running. Me I just need to find someone to look at my form and then get in the pool, looks like maybe not this week yet for me.

2013-01-08 10:36 AM

I bought my first ever road bike today, not been on a bike since I was about 14 but apparently you dont forget how to ride! It's a Raleigh Scorpio, really old model, can anyone tell me anything about it?

Edited by Quintillion 2013-01-08 10:37 AM
2013-01-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4567947

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Man I haven't seen a Scorpio that wasn't "fixied out" in a long time... is it in good shape still?

It was one of Raleigh's mid-high end bikes at the time, here's a link to one of the 70's ads... I'm not sure what the year range for the model was. Got some pics to post?

Congrats on the steed!

2013-01-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4567196

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Shar000001 - 2013-01-07 10:29 PM I got in a good 50 min spin today and hopefully I'll be able to get my butt out of bed for 6 am swim training tomorrow.

Here's my question- do you get a better workout on a spin bike or the trainer? I feel like the spin bike but maybe it would be better to use my trainer more with my tri bike?

Personally I always want to be on the closest thing to the road I can find if I'm inside... so the trainer. Despite my preference however... if the motion is the same on both and you get a better workout on the spin bike, I'd probably go with that one.

2013-01-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4568231

User image

Cleveland OH
I would say about the trainer vrse spin bike issue, you can get a better workout on the spin bike but your workput on the trainer will be more realistic. I can ride 30 miles in one hour on the spin bike vrse 16-19 miles an hour on my trainer. My trainer doesnt allow my to stand up and give it my all, I really feel like my bike is going to crack in half, mainly becUse it is 24 years old (my bike, not the trainer), plus riding your own bike will let you become more comfortable with it also. last year I rode spin bike in winter then rode outside as much as I could.
2013-01-08 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4566504

User image

Cleveland OH
Quintillion - 2013-01-07 3:06 PMI need some major help because I'm totally new to this sport. Infact I'm starting from scratch fitness wise.Can anyone give me advice about how often to train? And what to focus on more (I don't even know what I'm weakest at yet!)? I've set a a goal to run a 6.5 mile hill race in June, I think it's not too unrealistic. help!!
You are going to have to get your body use to running first. You should probably do a run 1 min walk 5 min then run 2 min walk 4 min etc... Till you can run 5 min then walk 1, then tyou can start increasing your run time and still do a run/walk though. Just listen to your body if something hurts, slow down. Dont hurt yourself now you will never be ready for your 6.5 hill run. To train for hills, either run hills or use the treadmills,

2013-01-08 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4567832

User image

Cleveland OH
coolgenes - 2013-01-08 10:56 AMI hate days like that. Me I woke up to do an hour on the trainer. I only managed 45 minutes. I don't know if my legs are that thrashed from this weekend or this slight cold is affecting me more than I realize. Todd, you may want to check the decibel rating on your trainer vs. others. I have a Kurt Kinetic and I don't think it would be loud enough to bother my DS even when he was little and I do know that some of them can be quite loud like the Lemond.My .02 on swimming, I just picked up Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes. I really like how it is written and I think if you consider this along with technique like Swimsmooth then you are off and running. Me I just need to find someone to look at my form and then get in the pool, looks like maybe not this week yet for me.
No basement, no 2nd floor, will have to figure somethinf out though, I think my bike makes more noise than the actually trainer does. My gears need adjusted and oiled up, spose to be 56 on satueday so maybe I can get outsisde for a ride,
2013-01-08 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4568227

Leegoocrap - 2013-01-08 6:38 PM

Man I haven't seen a Scorpio that wasn't "fixied out" in a long time... is it in good shape still?

It was one of Raleigh's mid-high end bikes at the time, here's a link to one of the 70's ads... I'm not sure what the year range for the model was. Got some pics to post?

Congrats on the steed!

Hahaha that advert really brings home how old it must be!

No photos yet, it's quite far from me just now, I had to get my brother in law to pick it up for me. It apparently needs work, new tires, tubes, a new seat and I might update the handle bar.

Fortunately I live very close to quite a big cycling club who run triathlon specific coaching for bike

Thanks!

2013-01-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4568443

smithat05 - 2013-01-08 8:04 PMYou are going to have to get your body use to running first. You should probably do a run 1 min walk 5 min then run 2 min walk 4 min etc... Till you can run 5 min then walk 1, then tyou can start increasing your run time and still do a run/walk though. Just listen to your body if something hurts, slow down. Dont hurt yourself now you will never be ready for your 6.5 hill run. To train for hills, either run hills or use the treadmills,

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I am running hills, I read that it was the most efficient terrain for runners to train on?

You could help me with a problem though; when I run I'm always aware to land on the balls of my feet and not my heels, but I still get a heavy juddering feeling with each step (not as much as when I landed on my heels but still slightly unpleasant), any advice?

2013-01-08 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4568662

User image

Cleveland OH
Lol, you dont want foot strike advice from me, I land on my heels and roll all the way through, best bet is to go to a running shoe store and have them tell you or david or chris could tell ya.
2013-01-08 5:22 PM

Columbus, OH
I wouldn't worry too much about ur foot fall or where ur running right now. I would actually recommend finding a flatter track to start. Hills are good, but in doses. Also, it's perfectly normal for ur heel to strike first and roll through... U just want the foot to roll through properly. I recommend making sure ur in thrift shoe (neutral, stability, or motion control). Head to a local running specialty store and they can help u out. Don't go running on ur toes in an attempt to hit the balls of ur feet, I'll get stress fractures in no time. Just go out and run however it feels most comfortable.

2013-01-08 5:24 PM

Columbus, OH
***the right shoe*** not thrift shoe... Stupid auto correct, and mobile site doesn't let me edit! On the road the next 2 days so this is what u get!
2013-01-08 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Had to play Dr. Dad today but luckily my son is a trooper and the kid naps like no tomorrow when he is sick so I got in a decent workout in the basement while he was snoozing for 3 hours.

Those ads for that bike are awesome.  Definitely post some pictures of it.  Extra points if you can dig up some bell bottoms and have a floppy mop like you're from 1973.

2013-01-08 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

As far as the "foot strike" thing goes, I don't believe there's anything to "fix" other than letting your body adapt to running and making sure your foot is landing in your center of gravity... whatever part of the actual foot hits first.

There's a lot of stuff out right now about forefoot running, and that's fine if it's for you, but there are tons of professional runners that heel strike every step. I will echo going to a running store and finding out what kind of shoe you do best in.

Also as above, running hills in moderation is fine, but it does put a bit more stress on you. At this point, just running "more" is plenty. There's a saying "Speed (in this case hill) work is the icing on the cake... and you don't have the cake yet."

2013-01-08 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
gym and pool tonight. first swim since i shattered my wrist back in october. was absolutely brutal. only got in about half of what i had planned.  oh well, have to start again somewhere.  hoping to get my trainer ride in tomorrow AM and hitting the pool again after the gym tomorrow.
2013-01-08 9:37 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
No workout today, uhgg almost 17 hrs worked though. Its just not the same,

2013-01-08 11:49 PM
in reply to: #4568662

User image

Champion
Quintillion - 2013-01-08 2:45 PM

smithat05 - 2013-01-08 8:04 PMYou are going to have to get your body use to running first. You should probably do a run 1 min walk 5 min then run 2 min walk 4 min etc... Till you can run 5 min then walk 1, then tyou can start increasing your run time and still do a run/walk though. Just listen to your body if something hurts, slow down. Dont hurt yourself now you will never be ready for your 6.5 hill run. To train for hills, either run hills or use the treadmills,

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I am running hills, I read that it was the most efficient terrain for runners to train on?

You could help me with a problem though; when I run I'm always aware to land on the balls of my feet and not my heels, but I still get a heavy juddering feeling with each step (not as much as when I landed on my heels but still slightly unpleasant), any advice?

regardless of where you are landing on your feet (this is different for everyone), you want to make sure your feet are landing under you and not out in front (over stridding), this often causes a jarring landing.
2013-01-09 4:39 AM
in reply to: #4569284

newbz - 2013-01-09 5:49 AMregardless of where you are landing on your feet (this is different for everyone), you want to make sure your feet are landing under you and not out in front (over stridding), this often causes a jarring landing.

I think this is actually the problem, I can imagine if I put my foot too far forward then it's sort of working against my momentum?

Please keep it coming guys I'm taking it all in!

2013-01-09 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quin - I have less experience than most in here but I can tell you what I did when I started running and still do to this day. I just went out and ran, when I started getting blisters I figured it was due to poor fitting shoes and possibly socks.  I went to Lukes Locker where they pointed out that I was an overpronator and told me my socks were too thick.  I got a new pair of shoes, thinner socks, and took off running again with no further problems. I guess to put it simply I don't think about how my foot lands or rolls or anything else. I figure if I'm not getting injured or having problems then my body is fine with however I run.  Keep it Super Simply at the Start
2013-01-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4569454

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-01-09 8:16 AM Quin - I have less experience than most in here but I can tell you what I did when I started running and still do to this day. I just went out and ran, when I started getting blisters I figured it was due to poor fitting shoes and possibly socks.  I went to Lukes Locker where they pointed out that I was an overpronator and told me my socks were too thick.  I got a new pair of shoes, thinner socks, and took off running again with no further problems. I guess to put it simply I don't think about how my foot lands or rolls or anything else. I figure if I'm not getting injured or having problems then my body is fine with however I run.  Keep it Super Simply at the Start

That's pretty much how I approached it, started slow, when something came up I took care of it and eased back in and have had (knock on every type of wood within reach) very few problems.  I think there are absolutely benefits to running a certain way which is proven by x amount of people to be THE WAY to run, but I think you also have to take your own body into account and how it works, and no one knows that better than you.

2013-01-09 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

I've been going back and forth on my races for this year, how many, length, etc.  I just found one for late August which was ideally when I wanted to do my first Oly distance, so I'm psyched.  Right now I have 4 races on the schedule for the summer, not counting some running races tossed in there with friends.

• 6/1 - Sprint.  Possibly doing the Oly to get used to the distances but kind of depends on how I come along with the swim.
  • 7/13 - Sprint
  • 8/25 - Oly.  This will be my A race for the year I think.  The timing of it gives me plenty of summer time to be able to get some good long bike rides and get my swim up to where I want.
  • 9/22 - Sprint.  I did this one last year so my goal is to destory my old time from last year which was 1:32.  With the training I've done, things I've learned, etc, I think I can get below 1:20.

I think these are spaced out pretty well.  6 weeks between a sprint and my A race gives me time to get in some miles and also get whatever rest I need before the race.  Last year I had my one and only sprint planned almost 5 months ahead of when I started training and I felt that I didn't have enough "racing" in my training, you know, something to keep me motivated knowing that my race was still 2 months away.  I have some goals for each race this year which I think will let me know where I am in regards to my training in preparation for my A race.  Now I just have to put the time in.

2013-01-09 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Easing back into things this morning with my second trainer session of the week. I tried running for the first time in 3+ weeks yesterday after injuring my ankle, and sadly after only doing 2M, it hurt a bit again. I iced it right afterward, then, am planning on taking today off of running and trying just 1M tomorrow. Taking time off doesn't seem to be helping it, and I've never had this issue before when my mileage was high, so I'm thinking I just need to strengthen it up, albeit very slowly. We'll see how that goes...
2013-01-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4569985

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

KiterChick - 2013-01-09 12:27 PM Easing back into things this morning with my second trainer session of the week. I tried running for the first time in 3+ weeks yesterday after injuring my ankle, and sadly after only doing 2M, it hurt a bit again. I iced it right afterward, then, am planning on taking today off of running and trying just 1M tomorrow. Taking time off doesn't seem to be helping it, and I've never had this issue before when my mileage was high, so I'm thinking I just need to strengthen it up, albeit very slowly. We'll see how that goes...

That stinks.  Any chance of getting in the pool instead to limit the impact on the ankle?  I did a 10k on Jan 1 but haven't ran after that at all because I had some pain in my foot after the race but the pool time seems to help, maybe rotating it enough to stretch but not enough to hurt?  Not sure.

2013-01-09 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

That stinks Sarah Have you had it checked out?

2013-01-09 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Got my hotel reservations for the USA Cycling Professional Road & Time Trial National Championships lined up today!

Extremely excited to go watch them, this'll be my first trip to a pro race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39