BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4729040

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

WoodrowCall - 2013-05-06 10:44 AM Your question made me think, so I looked and I doubt Raleigh will be wetsuit-legal, and Louisville won't be either, so I think we'll be better served by not wearing it. So, I think I'll skip the wetsuit this weekend too.

Good point!!

2013-05-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jamie - RICE, RICE, RICE ... I do that for a few days with plenty of rest and only easy spinning on the bike if I have any problems with my legs. If that doesn't help I consult my chiropractor/sports doc ... 

Nate - Seems like a fit issue. You are saying it feels tight around the shoulders. It should feel snug but not too tight. 

2013-05-06 10:22 AM

User image

Like this group pretty chatty bunch!

Here goes my bio

Name: Tay 

Story: I swam as a kid until I was about 12 and after that only got involved in sports here and there but nothing with long term commitment - I played soccer when in Uni and every so often would join a gym, go for a couple of months and then give up. Fast forward a few years, married, hugely overweight (220lbs) and whilst I was pregnant with my second child I was asked to run a leg (4 miles) of the team relay of the Belfast marathon the following year for charity and I agreed. My first attempt at running after the baby was born I could only run for  30secs, and it took me 5 minutes to recover. I built it upon my own to the 4 miles and swore I would never do anything like that again once the race was over. But the day was just so amazing, the sense of achievement... and I was hooked. I never worried about speed and built a group of friends who were as slow as me to train together. I lost a lot of weight (still have quite a bit to go) and just kept going.

I ran the Dublin marathon that same year (2011), then London the following April (2012) and then Dublin again last October - which was my PB of 4:45 - at that training cycle my peak week was 56 miles! After that I was talking to a friend about how taxing the training for a marathon was on my body and how I wanted a different challenge and she mentioned tris. I spent the whole of December reading about it and getting more and more excited, the whole swimming bit also appealed to me because of my childhood, bike was the only issue. I joined a tri club and the swimming sessions convinced me that's what I was supposed to be doing. Signed up for a sprint (which was yesterday) and after posting a thread here on BT am thinking I can possibly complete an oly by August (still haven't signed up to it, but am training for it).

Family: Married to a very supportive and proud husband with two beautiful kids (5yo girl and 3yo boy). They love the medals and trophies, those are theirs, the T-shirts mine

Training: I'm a member of a tri club and go to their swimming sessions but can't really join the bike and run sessions because of the kids (plus they are all so so so much faster that I would be embarrassed to hold people back). I've been following the BT plan for an oly, I'm on week 3/4 but haven't managed to get the bike to that time yet again because of work constraints (and I always seem to favour a run as I always have company for it and it's easier to do it when you're travelling for work)

2013 Season: I've planned a mixture of tris and run races. Done the sprint tri yesterday and a leg of the Belfast marathon today. Next weekend I have a 14k run (which I'm doing to support a friend who's a much slower runner-if that's at all possible ).

10k run mid June, sprint tri mid July, oly tri early Aug, sprint tri early Sept (but doing relay, only doing the swim, I think), half marathon mid September. And if I'm still mad by then possibly the Dublin marathon at the end of October.

Weight loss: I am now 158lbs which is 10lbs heavier than my lowest. Really, really, really want to lose at least 15-20lbs but just can't seem to control my eating at all.

What will make me a good mentee?: I am really keen to learn. And I will need A LOT of help. Especially with the bike. But since I'm generally slow at every discipline I might as well get all the help I can for everything :D

2013-05-06 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Team, 

One of the old mentors of this group a few months back shared a few documents he wrote. His name is Michael/Experior. 

He wrote a document titled consistency and it has been the most important information that I have received from the BT community to this date. I wanted to share that with you. I will attach it to this post ... 

Attachments
----------------
Consistency by Experior.doc (39KB - 14 downloads)
2013-05-06 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Another document by Michael/Experior on pacing .... 

Attachments
----------------
Pacing by Experior.doc (39KB - 11 downloads)
2013-05-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4729041

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
leechj - 2013-05-06 9:45 AM

SSMinnow

1. Is the wetsuit new? did you soak it for 24 hours plus before you wore it for the first time this season?  Helps to stretch it out a bit the first time.

It is not new, but I've only used it in 3 races and certainly never soaked it for 24 hours. I'll give that a shot! It does feel a little tight which I think is the main problem.

2.  Are you sure you have it pulled all the way up?  I use gloves you use to wash dishes to get mine all the way up, especially through the shoulders to make sure I don't feel constricted anywhere.  Gloves might look crazy, but they work.

When you say to get it all the way up, do you mean that you use the gloves for traction in order to grip it while you pull? I could try that too!

3. Have you thought of a sleeveless?  I have both and prefer to sleeveless for comfort even though I use the full for buoyancy most of the time.

This sounds like a really good idea since I feel the tightness across my shoulders and in my arms is the biggest problem. I think I might take a look for something used. Dang wetsuits are too much money! (I have a sleeveless scuba wetsuit... Are those legal?)

Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to try soaking it and seeing if that helps. Also will experiment with pulling it up higher on my body so I don't feel like it's constantly pulling my arms down. If none of that works, maybe I can cut the sleeves off my current wetsuit or loose another 10 pounds to fit in it more easily!

Yep, rubber on rubber provides excellent traction.  I really work the wetsuit legs so the crotch is all the way snug against mine and I do the same thing to the arms to get them pulled up as far as possible.  The botton of the sleeve is well above my wrist. Gives me more room.  I am short, but broad through the shoulders so need to really get that area to feel like I can move freely.

2013-05-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4729273

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
SSMinnow - 2013-05-06 5:02 PM
leechj - 2013-05-06 9:45 AM

SSMinnow

1. Is the wetsuit new? did you soak it for 24 hours plus before you wore it for the first time this season?  Helps to stretch it out a bit the first time.

It is not new, but I've only used it in 3 races and certainly never soaked it for 24 hours. I'll give that a shot! It does feel a little tight which I think is the main problem.

2.  Are you sure you have it pulled all the way up?  I use gloves you use to wash dishes to get mine all the way up, especially through the shoulders to make sure I don't feel constricted anywhere.  Gloves might look crazy, but they work.

When you say to get it all the way up, do you mean that you use the gloves for traction in order to grip it while you pull? I could try that too!

3. Have you thought of a sleeveless?  I have both and prefer to sleeveless for comfort even though I use the full for buoyancy most of the time.

This sounds like a really good idea since I feel the tightness across my shoulders and in my arms is the biggest problem. I think I might take a look for something used. Dang wetsuits are too much money! (I have a sleeveless scuba wetsuit... Are those legal?)

Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to try soaking it and seeing if that helps. Also will experiment with pulling it up higher on my body so I don't feel like it's constantly pulling my arms down. If none of that works, maybe I can cut the sleeves off my current wetsuit or loose another 10 pounds to fit in it more easily!

Yep, rubber on rubber provides excellent traction.  I really work the wetsuit legs so the crotch is all the way snug against mine and I do the same thing to the arms to get them pulled up as far as possible.  The botton of the sleeve is well above my wrist. Gives me more room.  I am short, but broad through the shoulders so need to really get that area to feel like I can move freely.

I'd second everything people have said.  Wetsuits need to be snug, but that makes it much more important that you make sure it's pulled up properly.  I've rushed putting my wetsuit on for training a few times and always find that my shoulders get very tired from pulling against it.  When I take the time to get it on right (which can take 5min or so of carefully working it up) it makes a massive difference.

It's also worth making sure you've filled the wetsuit with water when you get in.  It relaxes it a bit more and makes it feel less constricting.

I wish I could do OWS somewhere that's not wetsuit legal!  It's just too cold here to consider swimming outside without a wetsuit.

2013-05-06 11:31 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tay-welcome to the group. Enjoyed the bio. Sounds like you have made excellent progress.

Nate-I like swimming in my sleeveless better than the full sleeved. The FS seems to cause some fatigue during a longer swim. I bought a used DeSoto off of Slowtwitch earlier this year. It actually has 3 pieces. A bib john which is like a pair of overalls. A FS top and also what they call a Speedvest or Speedtube....something like that.....it is sleevless and allows the wetsuit to be used with sleeveless or fullsleeve.

Today is an easy day for me. Did an easy 2000 swim mix at the pool and have a 30 minute easy run this evening. All at essentially an active recovery pace. I need it as I still feel pretty shelled from the weekend workouts.

Michael/d3-thanks for linking that information. No doubt consistency is key. Always good information to review.

2013-05-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4728862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
leechj - 2013-05-06 6:34 AM

I see that there are many questions previously posed to the group, but I've got one more for you all!

So, I've only done 3 open water swims, each one in a wetsuit. I really don't feel fast at all with the suit on. I almost feel as though I'm flailing around like a child instead of swimming. In the pool at practice and even during pool races, I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere.

I think I'm going to try my next open water swim (this weekend, 750m) with no wetsuit in order to see how I do, but has anyone else experienced this? Could my suit be too tight? I think another thing might be that I'm using extra energy to stretch the suit when I begin a pull...

Any help is appreciated, thanks all!

Here are a couple of tips with wetsuits.

1. Two days before the race completely soak the wetsuit.  I put a few inches of water in the tub and let it soak for several hours.  Make sure the water is inside and out.

2. Then hang it and let it 'dry' out.  It will most likely not be completely dry which is what I want.

3. Put the suit on early and move a lot.  Big arm swings and adjust everything until it feels good with NO restriction.

4. If possible swim a bit before you start.  It puts water in the suit where it will and gets you acclimated to the water.  My preference is 200 yards minimum.  If the water is particularly cold 500 yards is better.

I hope this helps.

2013-05-06 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Medical Update: Just returned from the doctors. No additional slippage from two weeks ago. This is good.  It looks like the bone has settled where it is going to.  Just to be safe he added another two weeks to my confinement (so four weeks from now) before rehab.

It will still be a few months before they know if sufficient blood flow was restored to save the hip.  If so, I am starting to train again.  If not, they replace the hip and I start all over again.

We had a prolonged conversation about continuing to do triathlons.  If the surgery was successful then I should be good to go albeit a year behind where I should be.

If I have to have the hip replaced the issue will be the run and what that does to the artificial hip.  I should have no problems with the swim or bike.  The doctor had researched ways to run to minimize the impact on the hip.  Even so, less is better.  Given my goal is to finish an IM I figure I can do the swim & bike in 7:30 or better based on IMAZ results for my age group. That would leave me plenty of time to complete a walk/run and finish before they close the course.

I may need to push the target out a year but IM is still the goal.  Man's gotta dream.

2013-05-06 2:24 PM

User image

New user

Here is my visual answer to what is a color run?  I am the  one in the middle looking like I even have color in my teeth!!  And everywhere else! 

2013-05-06 2:28 PM

User image

New user

The picture won't load, says it has to be under 200 something and it is 206.  Anybody know how to decrease the size of a picture?

Didn't expect it to be difficult to put a picture up!!  User issue probably!!!

2013-05-06 3:55 PM

Stuart--LOTS of walking goes on during an ironman. I walked a good chunk of mine. Dream big and be patient.
2013-05-06 4:15 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV

What a fun afternoon ride, 15 MPH constant wind gusts to 25, and trying to rain the whole time.  I struggled through it but couldn't ever find a groove, oh well masters tonight hope that goes a little better.

-Mike

2013-05-06 5:03 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

The weather gods were on my side when I got out of work this afternoon, so I hopped on the bike as soon as I got the boys (the dogs) situated.  Nice 16 very hilly miles in my new saddle (I've been having some pretty painful issues--after riding for 2 months to make sure it just wasn't a 'you're totally new to the saddle, so your body will hurt for awhile--and we made a few adjustments to my fit as well.  SO happy to be pain free...spent 1/3 of my time on the aerobars, and riding more forward wasn't painful either.  Here's hoping it stays that way!  A painful hoo-ha is no fun at all.  Tongue out

Got 'the boys' (the three dogs) out for a brisk 30 minute walk afterwards, so everybody in the house is now happy.

2013-05-06 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4728703

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
jimmyb - 2013-05-06 8:04 AM

Good morning!

I would like to pose a question to the group.  I keep getting a soreness in my left trapezius when I ride greater than 1.5- 2 hours.  I've had this problem for a while.  Other than this I am very comfortable on the bike and feel like I can go all day.  I need to schedule another fitting, but in the meantime I wonder if anyone has suggestions I may try.  My first thought is that I may be overextending and perhaps making my position a little less aggressive may be the trick.  I don't have any pics (sorry). Hoping I may try a few tweaks myself before repeating a formal fitting.

Jim

Jim,

I don't have a definitive answer but I can tell you that when I injured my neck (herniated C5-6, 6-7) my presenting symptom was a knot in my trapezius. Occasionally when I spend a long time in aero I start to get a little symptomatic again. I think that my neck position closes down the space for the nerve root a little bit and makes me aware that I am no longer 20.

Just my totally anecdotal story about my neck and trapezius pain. As I am sure you are aware, a huge amount of us have occult disk herniations..... As I am sure you are also aware, it could be a lot of other things

2013-05-06 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4728768

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
twosneezesshort - 2013-05-06 8:44 AM

Also, I know getting on the actual bike would be better, but is there anything I should be doing specifically on a stationary bike that would give particular benefit in training?

!

Cheers,
Em

Em,

My coach never lets me just have a long steady run workout. I do most of my long runs at about 45-60 seconds over half marathon pace but embedded in the run will be a series of pickups (5-10 or more of them) to race pace for anywhere from a 1/4 to 1/2 to a whole mile on usually an easy 1/4 mile recovery. One thing I really like about doing these race pace intervals is that my slower pace feels so much easier after a fast/hard interval.

On the exercise bike I would also do interval work. Something I suggested in triathlon talk this morning was an hour workout on the bike:

10 minutes warmup with a couple short spin ups to build some pace.

5 x (5 minutes as hard as you can maintain for 5 minutes with 3 minutes super easy recovery)

10 minutes cool down.

You can make up all kinds of interval workouts like this on the bike; 5 minute intervals, 10 minutes, 20, etc. They are painful because they tax your legs and aerobic system so much but it is pretty hard to injure yourself on a stationary bike.
2013-05-06 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4728862

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
leechj - 2013-05-06 9:34 AM

I see that there are many questions previously posed to the group, but I've got one more for you all!

So, I've only done 3 open water swims, each one in a wetsuit. I really don't feel fast at all with the suit on. I almost feel as though I'm flailing around like a child instead of swimming. In the pool at practice and even during pool races, I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere.

I think I'm going to try my next open water swim (this weekend, 750m) with no wetsuit in order to see how I do, but has anyone else experienced this? Could my suit be too tight? I think another thing might be that I'm using extra energy to stretch the suit when I begin a pull...

Any help is appreciated, thanks all!

Nate,

I suspect your suit is not too tight. I am not sure if there is such thing as a too tight wetsuit. If it is too tight, you can't get it on.

One thing you want to be really sure of is that the suit is pulled up in to your crotch, it should feel like a wedgy, and then you want to really pull it up and over your shoulders so you aren't fighting the material when you take a stroke. A lot of people will get their suit on and then wade out and let water in at the neck line/fill their suit up with water/ which allows them to reposition the suit on their skin and make sure that it is pulled up high enough.

I think that there are some youtube videos on how to put on a triathlon wetsuit.
2013-05-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4729188

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
d3term1ned - 2013-05-06 11:31 AM

Team, 

One of the old mentors of this group a few months back shared a few documents he wrote. His name is Michael/Experior. 

He wrote a document titled consistency and it has been the most important information that I have received from the BT community to this date. I wanted to share that with you. I will attach it to this post ... 

I am just a posting fool.

Reread Experior's treatise on consistency. As pertinent and applicable now as it was the first time I read it. Don't skip over this if you have a few minutes.

About three years ago I read a short post by a former BT poster, BryanCD. He said something to the effect of, "if you look at the top guys at any race and then look at their training logs, you will see that they don't miss workouts. They are out there every day, rain or shine, tired or fresh, good mood or bad." I took that to heart and decided then and there that I wasn't missing any more workouts. Obviously, every once in awhile something happens and I do miss one, but it isn't very often. My training and performance have taken off since taking my own pledge of consistency.
2013-05-06 5:57 PM

User image

Master

Jaime: Maybe just something that a little bit of rest could fix.

Randy: Watching kids race is pure joy. Loved that most of the 5-8 year old kids ran with their helmets on, and some of them had the cutest running forms that they were sure was going to make them win. It included some karate chopping of air, and making the heels hit the butt. My son raced with a big ol' smile the whole time.

My 2500m swim last night was tiring. I got t-boned by a school of fish twice. They were about the size of my hands, so was kinda squeamish about it. The little tiny ones, I don't mind. A couple snorkelers helped me practice my sighting by weaving in and out of my path, lol!

Oh, swimming. I was supposed to be doing 15x100 sprints, but husband said it didn't look like I was sprinting, and I didn't feel like I was moving very fast if I really tried to sprint. He said I looked like I was covering more ground on my cool down where I concentrated on my form, reaching, and pulling myself through the water. I cannot keep my warm up and cool down form at a faster pace. I end up all scrunched up and feel like it's me vs the water in an MMA match.

Today is biking the Xterra course. Getting better at the technical parts, but I've heard from many that Maui's course isn't very technical, but hilly. I need to work on my hills. They always, always make me feel like my heart going to hammer out of my chest.

Hi, everyone! I promise to get my bio up a little later. Nice to meet you, and happy training!

Blanda

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-06 6:10 PM
2013-05-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4730212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Blanda - 2013-05-06 3:57 PM

Oh, swimming. I was supposed to be doing 15x100 sprints, but husband said it didn't look like I was sprinting, and I didn't feel like I was moving very fast if I really tried to sprint. He said I looked like I was covering more ground on my cool down where I concentrated on my form, reaching, and pulling myself through the water. I cannot keep my warm up and cool down form at a faster pace. I end up all scrunched up and feel like it's me vs the water in an MMA match.

Blanda

Blanda if I may offer some advice here.  This came up in the last group but bears repeating.  What happens is people equate swim sprints with highly accelerated activity.  For those who were not in the group last time this is for you, for those who were, please forgive the repetition.  The only thing you get by muscling through a swim is tired.

Form and rhythm are everything, even in sprints.  Try this.  Swim the first 50 as you normally do, concentrating on form and swimming strong.  Once you body is in rhythm pick up you pace in three ways.

(1) Pick up your stroke count by just ONE stroke per 25.  Think about what you are doing and know it takes very little increased speed in turnover to pick up that one stroke. Be careful that you DO NOT chop your stroke.

(2) Pick up the speed of your kick SLIGHTLY.  Concentrate on shallow kicks but do not break the surface of the water, i.e. NO splash.

(3) Lengthen your breathing by 1/2 stroke.  So if you are breathing every 2 stroke, breathe every 2.5 strokes.

Because you started in a good form the first half of the sprint, you are more likely to maintain it.  The specific steps above, if you think about what you are doing, will increase your speed without denigrating your form. 

You can employ this strategy at any distance.  The key is to put the additional effort at the back end of the swim and really concentrate on the steps.  Try it a few times and let me know how it works.

2013-05-06 7:54 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Well this evenings swim is out, sick baby with a 104 temperature means a trip to the doctor. Glad I muscled through my ride this afternoon when I thought about skipping it. Gonna have to try and squeeze a swim in this weekend which is out of the norm for me but I have to miss Fridays masters because its his birthday as well, sometimes family has to come first.-Mike
2013-05-06 8:02 PM

Wow, this group is so active!

Congrats to all the great races this weekend!

Some great advice being thrown around already.

Hope everyone had a good monday- just finished moving, now get to sit and study for a month for step 2 of my boards- so lots of forum and training time as "study breaks!"

2013-05-06 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4730277

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Stuartap - 2013-05-06 6:49 PM
Blanda - 2013-05-06 3:57 PM

Blanda

Blanda if I may offer some advice here.  This came up in the last group but bears repeating.  What happens is people equate swim sprints with highly accelerated activity.  For those who were not in the group last time this is for you, for those who were, please forgive the repetition.  The only thing you get by muscling through a swim is tired.

Form and rhythm are everything, even in sprints.  Try this.  Swim the first 50 as you normally do, concentrating on form and swimming strong.  Once you body is in rhythm pick up you pace in three ways.

(1) Pick up your stroke count by just ONE stroke per 25.  Think about what you are doing and know it takes very little increased speed in turnover to pick up that one stroke. Be careful that you DO NOT chop your stroke.

(2) Pick up the speed of your kick SLIGHTLY.  Concentrate on shallow kicks but do not break the surface of the water, i.e. NO splash.

(3) Lengthen your breathing by 1/2 stroke.  So if you are breathing every 2 stroke, breathe every 2.5 strokes.

Because you started in a good form the first half of the sprint, you are more likely to maintain it.  The specific steps above, if you think about what you are doing, will increase your speed without denigrating your form. 

You can employ this strategy at any distance.  The key is to put the additional effort at the back end of the swim and really concentrate on the steps.  Try it a few times and let me know how it works.

This is great advice.  Much like Blanda, I tend to move my arms a whole lot faster and get nowhere when I see the word "sprint".  Going to try some of these ideas.

2013-05-07 4:46 AM

User image

Loving this group, and as I'm a few hours ahead when I'm catching up I'm getting all the answers with the questions going to try the swim tip about speed as well.
I woke up at 5am this morning to go to the club swim and a run with a friend after but seen an email that they weren't sure about the keys to the pool (yesterday was a holiday here) so I just went back to bed - its a 45min drive away and I'm not working there today. I actually needed the rest after the sprint on sunday and run yesterday but it means my whole training for this week is upside down.
I'm travelling today for work, will try to run tomorrow morning, swim and run thurs, bike fri, run race sat and bike sun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88