BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-05-14 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4741340

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Open

Burd - 2013-05-14 7:33 AM Just so everyone knows since rewards are beer based...so are penalties. David likes to throw out the warm Coors Light penalty. Talk about motivation...haha

Alex - One of these days I'll finish that race report - but let me just say this about the motivational power of a warm Coors light:  Heading into the run on this weekend's sprint - I was 3 minutes behind my goal.  I thought long and hard during the next 28 minutes about how awful that coors light would taste... Every time I thought about walking I imagined having to drink it out of a dirty ashtray (might actually improve the taste). I was able to shave 5 minutes off my planned time and I bagged at PR - there is nothing like the power of a warm coors light to make you push a little harder. Laughing

2013-05-14 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4742352

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-05-14 3:33 PM

Question: How do you know when it's a hard workout?

Answer: When you throw up a tad in your mouth near the end.

1800 yards in the pool followed by 50 hard minutes of strength training with only 30 seconds between sets and exercises.  I was so spent when I left the gym I had to sit in my car for 15 minutes before I could hold the wheel to drive home.

I was just checking out your blog (pretty cool) and saw that you just bought a garmin 910XT.  Let me know what you think - I've been drooling over it for a year now.

Alex - You continue to inspire me.  As they said in Full Metal You are Born Again Hard!

Edited by Qua17 2013-05-14 10:22 PM
2013-05-14 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4742529

User image

Expert
Asalzwed - 2013-05-14 5:17 PM

Your group appears to be open, is this still the case?

Every time I see this mentor thread it makes me thirsty. I may as well join the party if you have room!

Please join us - we'd love to have you.  With 6,000+ posts - I think you'd be an asset to the group.

Post a bio when you get a chance!  

Edited by Qua17 2013-05-14 10:06 PM
2013-05-14 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4742737

User image

Expert
mirthfuldragon - 2013-05-14 8:22 PM
Ajokisch - 2013-05-14 7:55 PM
Qua17 - 2013-05-13 9:43 PM

t I have a little more time. Questions on general conduct/etiquette, I'm completely new at this; I read through the instructions on mentor forums but didn't find all the answers I was looking for:

1. Will post questions, etc. when they seem appropriate, but is there any regular routine that you follow? I see the weekly goal sheets, do people just reply and fill in their weekly goals?
  2. I did check my training log access and I believe I'm set to allow any registered BT member to view, but let me know if not.
  3. Any other etiquette things that I'm not aware of? I know that's a broad question, I guess more of a request that if I do something dumb someone please let me know, it's a safe assumption that I don't mean to be rude, just ignorant or inept.

Good night all, looking forward to a great season of triathlon (and beer) this summer!

Andres

Not really - be polite, and all that  DQ posts a weekly goal list, and generally everyone will chime in, and then we recap at the end of the week.  DQ will also bring up topics for discussion from time to time (nutrition, dealing with injury, transitions, etc.), but generally feel free to discuss whatever you like.

X2.  There are two rules I would add Andres 1) Work actively to support the members of the group by encouraging them, answering their questions or sending them a "like" if they post a workout in their training log that was impressive. 2) More important, don't be closeminded and make fun of fruitbeers like Thor and Kevin Wink  They don't know what they are missing!

Seriously - this group is your group.  If there is anything we can do to help or support you - please just ask.

2013-05-14 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4726389

User image

Expert

Sorry everyone - things at work have been completely nuts this week and I haven't been as good as I would like at replying to messages and welcoming in our newest members.  Last week we talked about transitions and how to prepare for them  This week, I'd like to focus on setting goals for the race.  

So here is the question - what plans do you make before a race to ensure your best performance possible.  Also, is there anything you do to keep you focused on those goals during the race?

2013-05-14 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4742529

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Asalzwed - 2013-05-14 3:17 PM

Every time I see this mentor thread it makes me thirsty. I may as well join the party if you have room!

A fellow Washingtonian, welcome aboard!

2013-05-14 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4742882

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2013-05-14 8:16 PM

So here is the question - what plans do you make before a race to ensure your best performance possible.  Also, is there anything you do to keep you focused on those goals during the race?

I never take or make goals lightly.  I set a challenging goal early on in the race prep, then I train my a-- off to go after it in the several months preceding the event.  Some days are a drag.  But consistency over time helps me to see the improvement from week to week.  I read a lot about training, then implement it into the plan.  The race plan is developed through months of consistent exercise and long rides/swims/runs.  The race day is now the time to put the plan into action and with all the preparation, stay positive, because that goal is going to fall.  I always set the goal high, almost unattainable.  That way I know I'll give it all I have to make it happen.  No room for slacking.

2013-05-15 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
The 910xt is all it's hyped up to be.  This thing does everything and does it well.  As a matter of fact I think I'll go have it make me some breakfast  Seriously thought I had no idea it would do this much and it's easier to learn that I thought it would.   The ability to upload to the BT site and Garmin Connect lets me analyze everything about my training and track my progress in real numbers.  That much data may not be for everyone but I'm a bit OCD about my data and numbers.  I had 3 watches before this and within 6 months sold all of them to upgrade.

Edited by Burd 2013-05-15 7:42 AM
2013-05-15 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-05-14 11:16 PM

For my first race I am going to be setting realistic goals and not overreach to much.  Not that I'm going to set a goal of just being able to finish but more like a goal of flawless execution.  Most importantly nailing my transitions and giving it my all.  I will be worrying about time based goals until I have a baseline to work off.  I will have some rough number that will not want to go over but I won't be obsessing over the times to start.

Repetition will sink them in for me.  Practice and then more practice when I think I'm good.  

2013-05-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4742870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-05-14 9:05 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-05-14 5:17 PM

Please join us - we'd love to have you.  With 6,000+ posts - I think you'd be an asset to the group.

Post a bio when you get a chance!  

Rookie...Laughing

2013-05-15 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Good to have all the new faces in the group! 

Remember the more involved you are in the community, the more likely you are to succeed!

This a great group of laid back guys and girls!

Try and log all your workouts. It is great to look back at your logbook to see how far you have come!

2013-05-15 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well with my change of work location and hours, I need to make some training adjustments. 

Before I was working from home 3 days/wk. Now I am in the office 5days...blah, no more beer for breakfast...just kidding. 

I have brought my bike for my first lunch time ride as I have found some paths about a 5 minute drive away. I am super stoked as I am required to take an hour lunch. I will now eat at my desk before lunch, drive 5 minutes, bike 50, drive 5 and come back to the office covered in sweat. Too bad there is no shower in my office...well to bad for the people I work with at least. 

I am pretty sure I have found a Cycleop fluid trainer for a hundred bucks! Will be checking it out this weekend!! yeah, now me and my bride will have matching trainers!

Edited by thor67 2013-05-15 8:34 AM
2013-05-15 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4743095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-05-15 6:36 AM The 910xt is all it's hyped up to be.  This thing does everything and does it well.  As a matter of fact I think I'll go have it make me some breakfast  Seriously thought I had no idea it would do this much and it's easier to learn that I thought it would.   The ability to upload to the BT site and Garmin Connect lets me analyze everything about my training and track my progress in real numbers.  That much data may not be for everyone but I'm a bit OCD about my data and numbers.  I had 3 watches before this and within 6 months sold all of them to upgrade.

Nice bit of horse trading! I wish I could snag one of those. Maybe a Christmas request!

2013-05-15 8:34 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Qua17 - 2013-05-14 10:16 PM

Since I am working up to my first race, my goal is to finish with a smile on my face.  This is no small goal for me since I'm coming from serious overweight couch potato status.  The main thing I have been doing to keep my self focused it to tell as may people I can about my goal.  That keeps the peer pressure to accomplish my goal up.

2013-05-15 8:36 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Wisdom gained from the bike last night.....My gut really impedes riding in an aero position.

2013-05-15 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4743215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
podemma - 2013-05-15 7:34 AM

Since I am working up to my first race, my goal is to finish with a smile on my face.  This is no small goal for me since I'm coming from serious overweight couch potato status.  The main thing I have been doing to keep my self focused it to tell as may people I can about my goal.  That keeps the peer pressure to accomplish my goal up.

Ha, that is exactly how I started this journey. I was closing in on 300lbs, got to 225, entered a sprint tri and I now hover around anywhere from 200  to 215. I am shooting for 190 this year!

Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing at times!

2013-05-15 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-05-14 9:16 PM

Trust your training. You and you alone know what you put into the training. That is what I am thinking about when I train. If I put in the proper training, the race will take care of itself.

AS for during the race, I am an ultra competitive person, so I know nothing else but move forward no matter what! The biggest thing thought that gets me through some tough moments is the smiling faces of my family! It is great in some of the races my son will run in with me! Love it. I am sure my daughter will be doing the same in a year or two as well! 

2013-05-15 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

This week, I'd like to focus on setting goals for the race.  

I am in the middle of this conundrum right now, with my upcoming sprint.

The swim is what it is - my weakest event, by far.  It's only 400 yards, but I'm currently without a pool, so my goal is a pathetic sub-10min finish.  My production pace is around 2:20/100.  My debate is whether it is even worth it to try to hammer it, or just take it easy and glide through, when the difference between a 100% effort and a 70% effort is going to be less than two minutes.  Somehow, I feel it's going to turn into a hammer-fest, but oh well.

The bike, on the other hand, is my strength.  My goal here is pretty easy - clip in, run up to LTHR, and keep the spin over 100rpm.  The course is pancake flat, so no worries.  

The run is another question; I'd like to set a PR for 5k, and I think I can, so tentatively the plan is to stay fast and loose with an 8:00ish pace.  My recent bricks have shown I am capable of that pace off the bike, and faster, but the sustainability is the real question.  I should try to negative split it, but that requires more focus than I will probably have on race day.

2013-05-15 10:12 AM

User image

New user
Jacksonville
In response to the goals question (sorry, answering from the mobile site so I can't quote, text editing is bare bones):

This will be my first real tri in June - I signed up for one last October, at that time my only goal was to finish, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Swim was canceled the night before due to rough water, so I only got to do the bike and run, TT start out of T1 with all our bike gear on already. I'm kind of with Alex - nothing to baseline from, so I'm not setting any time-based goals yet.

This summer I'm signed up for a sprint series, the organizer does a couple of these in the NE Florida area - it's the exact same course all three times (my wife gave me a raised eyebrow and said "You're doing the same race three times?"), they run a Black Friday special in November so you get a discount if you sign up for all three ("Well, yes honey, but I got three races for the price of two!"). From that standpoint it will be easy to get a baseline and start setting some time-based goals, so I'll update the group after the first one.

Generally speaking, though, setting and achieving goals are one of the things that's kept me running for a while now - it's immensely satisfying to me, I think because you know very clearly when you hit them or don't. In the past mine were more distance-based - easy to measure, you either ran the distance or you didn't. Now that I've got a few race distances under my belt I set time-based ones and I have a pretty good feel for what's achievable given a certain level of training.

Question back to the group though: I tend to set those very quantitative goals, like running a particular race distance in under xx:xx - you know you hit it or you didn't. I like the idea of something like Alex's "nailing my transitions", but how do you define that so you know you achieved it or if you didn't what parts you missed and need to work on next time? 
2013-05-15 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Well back from the Crossfit dungeon. Went for a fast 20 mile bike ride last night. Had a lot more power in the legs and hammered past several punks without tri bikes.Trying to decide about signing up for IM Texas 2014. Not sure I want to do that until 2015. My ITB issue during my 70.3 training is giving me pause. I am also kinda enjoying Crossfit with some sprint runs and long weekend bikes right now. I think I'm just not ready to commit right now. I don't think it sells out immediately so maybe 4 months from now I will feel different. I just want more muscle work and some more base. Also. Want to enjoy the journey and IM training right now gets me tired thinking about it.
2013-05-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4743371

User image

Veteran
Dallas
mirthfuldragon - 2013-05-15 9:39 AM

The swim is what it is - my weakest event, by far.  It's only 400 yards, but I'm currently without a pool, so my goal is a pathetic sub-10min finish.  My production pace is around 2:20/100.  My debate is whether it is even worth it to try to hammer it, or just take it easy and glide through, when the difference between a 100% effort and a 70% effort is going to be less than two minutes.  Somehow, I feel it's going to turn into a hammer-fest, but oh well.

The bike, on the other hand, is my strength.  My goal here is pretty easy - clip in, run up to LTHR, and keep the spin over 100rpm.  The course is pancake flat, so no worries.  

The run is another question; I'd like to set a PR for 5k, and I think I can, so tentatively the plan is to stay fast and loose with an 8:00ish pace.  My recent bricks have shown I am capable of that pace off the bike, and faster, but the sustainability is the real question.  I should try to negative split it, but that requires more focus than I will probably have on race day.

Just hammer it and go as fast as possible. If you can see the chambers of your heart moving through the fabric of ur shirt then I suggest you turn it down a notch! (easy advice to give, harder to do)

2013-05-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4743226

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2013-05-15 8:37 AM
podemma - 2013-05-15 7:34 AM

Ha, that is exactly how I started this journey. I was closing in on 300lbs, got to 225, entered a sprint tri and I now hover around anywhere from 200  to 215. I am shooting for 190 this year!

Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing at times!

I second the notion that you will lose weight doing this. Down 90lbs in 2 years. Train smart, don't bite off more than you can chew, listen to your body, rest and stay away from processed foods. My 2 cents.
2013-05-15 11:30 AM

User image

Seattle

NAME: Adrienne

STORY: I was about 30+ lbs heavier and just decided I needed to make a change, did so, found triathlon about 2 years ago and then found running.

FAMILY STATUS: Partner of almost 7 years, 3 cats all grey, one pug, blonde

CURRENT TRAINING: Just jumped back into triathlon training, getting back into triathlon shape. Planning on working on shorter distance speed for running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm just coming off of some heavy run volume from my build-up to the 2013 Boston Marathon (RR here) Now I am planning on lots of 5 and 10Ks and bike rides just getting back into the triathlon mode, and perhaps some track meets (1500, 3k, 5K etc.) AG Nationals (Olympic Distance) in August.

Planning to run cross country in the fall before jumping back into marathon focus for Boston 2014. My training partner is doing Cal. Intl. in December hmmmm …

Oh yeah, and I am going to do a beer mile in a few weeks. Look it up. Serious business.

BODY COMPOSITION: Trying to find the balance of eating right and eating enough while getting as close as possible to race weight. I think it’s a dance we all do with in one form or another.

BEER: I LOVE beer. Lots of racing and training has forced me to a be a little more quality, not quantity focused Smile I'm a huge micro-brew fan. Not any particular one as I just like the culture in general. I like going to tastings, learning about the stories behind different breweries, the process and even the graphic design of their labels. I guess my preference is wheat and fruit beers (I'm not ashamed to say it)  

A few of my favorites:

21st amendment's to Hell of High Watermelon

Georgetown Brewery's Lucille IPA

New Belgium Mothership Wit

Recently discovered Sam Adam's Blueberry Hill

2013-05-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4743594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-05-15 10:06 AM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-05-15 9:39 AM

Just hammer it and go as fast as possible. If you can see the chambers of your heart moving through the fabric of ur shirt then I suggest you turn it down a notch! (easy advice to give, harder to do)

x2

2013-05-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4742913

User image

Seattle
kevinbe - 2013-05-14 10:41 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-05-14 3:17 PM

A fellow Washingtonian, welcome aboard!

Oh, hey there! 

Ah ha, an Eastie! I have lots of family over there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70