BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-05-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
Originally posted by JoePetto

Jim: Great result on your marathon. Huge improvement.

E: That musty have been a hell of a race. At least you know Tahoe won't be that hot. I'm curious how you get yourself ready to race at altitude?

So, yet another visit to the doctor and all my endocrinology tests came back negative. No diabetes, no thyroidism, no vitamin deficiencies. At this point, I really do not have another clear medical path forward to explain to explain the neuropathy. One suggestion was to train less and see if the tingling in the hands and feet go away. I'm not quite there. i'm planning on trying accupuncture to see if I get any relief.

WIfe had thumb surgery on Wednesday. Pulled off the nail and insert two screws into the nail bed. Last week wasn't a good one. I still managed to train every day and am trying to push forward with the HIM at the end of June.

The results analysis from the guys at www.runtri.com show Ironman Texas 2013 as the second highest DNF rate in Ironman history. Really bad day for everyone out there. Joe, for altitude training, I am going to rent a sleeping tent in July and simulate 15,000 feet of elevation for eight hours a day during my sleep. Only way (legal) to boost hematocrit count.
I hope things for the best Joe, you really don't need to push forward with the 70.3 yet, just aim for health at this point and then go for more.

2013-05-21 1:03 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Mitch, sorry to have missed you. An escape from my house to catch up with you and run together would have been a welcome change of pace.

My 2 yr old spent the weekend with fever and throwing up (first time he did it all over me...YUK). Then on Monday he was feeling well but my 4 yr old came down with a fever...and my wife has a cold.

Chances of me not getting sick prior to my Oly on June 1st? Probably the same as me finishing the Oly in under 3 hrs...not good!

2013-05-21 3:54 PM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hello All. Just a quick update.

E. Tell us when the race report is up. In particular, like you I am a big one for postmortems. I want to take everything apart and learn what I can. So, do you think your run was due to a) the heat, b) going to fast on the bike, or c) doing a second ironman sixth months after Florida.

This isn't to diminish your accomplishment. It's a big deal to finish, especially gutting it out as opposed to a DNF.

As for me, perhaps going light on tri's this summer. I've signed up for my local tri, sprint distance. I've done that every year (three years) since the race started. Still haven't been on the bike yet (weather really hasn't cooperated). If I feel good on the bike, will sign up for an Olympic as well.

I've also signed up for another Twin Cities Marathon and started my 20 week training program (Hanson - Hi Jackie!) on Monday. Two runs down, about 118 to go. I'm still pretty disappointed by how much fitness I lost between last year's Twin Cities (in early October) to this year's Boston (in mid April). Conditions weren't same, but 27 minutes is a lot. Weight and training matter, so I've lost a few pounds and I'm determined to do the training right for this October.
2013-05-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: chris2533

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Tonight I did my first session at Doghouse cycling - a Computrainer -based training studio (think spinning on steroids - while riding your own bike). Lots of fun and definitely something that will get me better on the bike. Plan to go 1/week as my 3rd "ride" of the week. My only regret is not starting earlier. If you have anything like it in your area, I suggest you give it a try.

http://www.doghousecycling.com/

Small place, only 3 people for my session (I think max is 8), which allows for very personal coaching (regarding pedaling mechanics, balance, etc).
2013-05-22 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by Samyg

Mitch, sorry to have missed you. An escape from my house to catch up with you and run together would have been a welcome change of pace.

My 2 yr old spent the weekend with fever and throwing up (first time he did it all over me...YUK). Then on Monday he was feeling well but my 4 yr old came down with a fever...and my wife has a cold.

Chances of me not getting sick prior to my Oly on June 1st? Probably the same as me finishing the Oly in under 3 hrs...not good!

I was down in Samy's neck of the woods for a few days, we tried to get together for a run, but between my work schedule (client meetings with golf) and Samy's son's illness it wasn't in the cards. I encourage the team to try to meet one another when the opportunities present themselves. I've met Scott who has been a team member for a number of seasons. Looking forward to meeting Jim later this year. If anyone is ever in Detroit for a stay drop me a line and we can find time for a run!

I will say that the humidity in S. Florida certainly makes runs more challenging. Sunday afternoon I went out for a run around 3:30 and was fine for 4.5 miles, I then wilted in the heat and struggled the last half of my run. I was able to remain really disciplined at the meeting and kept drinking to a minimum and ate as healthy as I ever have at one of these events. Lost another 1/2 pound while there. Down to 157. When I started tracking calories about 6 weeks ago I was at 164.
2013-05-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: chris2533

User image

Master
Dallas
Originally posted by chris2533

Hello All. Just a quick update.

E. Tell us when the race report is up. In particular, like you I am a big one for postmortems. I want to take everything apart and learn what I can. So, do you think your run was due to a) the heat, b) going to fast on the bike, or c) doing a second ironman sixth months after Florida.

This isn't to diminish your accomplishment. It's a big deal to finish, especially gutting it out as opposed to a DNF.

As for me, perhaps going light on tri's this summer. I've signed up for my local tri, sprint distance. I've done that every year (three years) since the race started. Still haven't been on the bike yet (weather really hasn't cooperated). If I feel good on the bike, will sign up for an Olympic as well.

I've also signed up for another Twin Cities Marathon and started my 20 week training program (Hanson - Hi Jackie!) on Monday. Two runs down, about 118 to go. I'm still pretty disappointed by how much fitness I lost between last year's Twin Cities (in early October) to this year's Boston (in mid April). Conditions weren't same, but 27 minutes is a lot. Weight and training matter, so I've lost a few pounds and I'm determined to do the training right for this October.
Chris,
It was A and B, no doubt in my mind. The fact that it was too close to IMFL has nothing to do with it. I went into this race in a lot better shape than Florida.

2013-05-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

I am thinking in pulling the trigger on the Garmin 910xt and take advantage of the sale (I currently have the Garmin 305). But I have a couple of questions.

Is it worth it for the upgrade between the 305 and the 910?

Is there anything else I need to be able to use the watch? (I assume that I can still use my current HR strap and cadence sensor)

Do you guys have the quick release kit? I have the one for the 305 and love it, but have heard of many instances of lost 910xt during the swim portion due to the quick release kit. During races, do you wear the 910xt, put it in your swim cap, or just leave it on the bike (which is what I do with the 305)?

How does the ANT thing work when downloading workouts to different computer? Anything I need on the computer itself?

thanks

Samy

2013-05-22 9:39 PM

User image

Master

I am thinking in pulling the trigger on the Garmin 910xt and take advantage of the sale (I currently have the Garmin 305). But I have a couple of questions.

Is there anything else I need to be able to use the watch? (I assume that I can still use my current HR strap and cadence sensor)

Do you guys have the quick release kit? I have the one for the 305 and love it, but have heard of many instances of lost 910xt during the swim portion due to the quick release kit. During races, do you wear the 910xt, put it in your swim cap, or just leave it on the bike (which is what I do with the 305)?

How does the ANT thing work when downloading workouts to different computer? Anything I need on the computer itself?

thanks

Samy

Samy,

Ill tackle a couple of your questions.

It should come with a HR strap. If your bike cadence / speed sensor is ANT+ it should work just fine. I have the foot pod but I wouldn't call it a have to have item.

I have the quick release strap and love it. It comes with two Bike mounts allowing me to use it on my road bike and mountain bike. On the swim, I fold my wetsuit arm over the watch securing it place and protecting it from kicks, etc. the strap feels pretty secure to me. Absent the wetsuit arm idea I would probably wear it under my cap - you'll get better GPS reception as well if worn under the cap.

-Mitch
2013-05-22 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

thanks

Samy

Hey Samy,
Since you are serious about triathlons I do recommend getting the 910XT and you can always sell your 305 to someone looking to get into running/tri's (I actually did the same thing, started with the 305 and then switched to the 910xt and love it!)

The 910xt should work with your existing HR strap and cadence sensor and I don't have the quick release kit for the same concerns you mentioned of fear of loosing it during a swim. During my triathlons races I have used it during the swim on my wrist without any problems and its been good to be able to analyze my swim along with the other disciplines.

Key benefits vs the 305 are extended battery life of 20 hrs (for your next Ironman :-), waterproofing and swim metrics for pool swims (# of strokes, pool lengths, distance, pace, efficiency index, etc) , barometric altimeter, smaller form factor than the 305, power meter reading, etc..

For downloading files it comes with a USB dongle that you connect to your PC and then you can transmit wirelessly your data to Garmin Connect.

Hope that helps!

2013-05-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Veteran
clayton
Samy - Gabe and Mitch make a good argument to upgrade. Me? I'm staying with my 305 - to me the only benefit of the 910 is the addition of swim capability, I simply dont need this for my ability, geek or not.

I leave my 305 on the bike and switch to a simple garmin running watch which shows HR/pace.

Also I would prefer to put the money to better use like better wheels or clip-on bars.

So you have heard the arguments from both camps, now you need to withdraw and decide whats best for you ...

Mark.
2013-05-23 3:36 PM

User image

Miami

thanks

Samy

I sold my 305 in January for $200 and bought a 910xt for $355. Given that it cost me $155, in my opinion, it is totally worth it. Faster picking up GPS signal, more battery life (I'm training for HIM and I'd like to do a full Ironman next year), it is able to track swimming workouts, which is the sport that I'm looking to improve the most, and it is way smaller. It has some other features than the 305 lacks, but these were the more important to me.

Regarding to your questions:

1. You don't need anything else to use the watch bit comes with an ANT+ USB stick to upload data in your computer (I like this also better than the 305 way of doing it). As long as your HR strap and cadence sensor are ANT+, they will work too. By the way, stay away from the soft HR strap. Yes, it is more comfortable, but it doesn't work very well.

2. I don't have the quick release kit nor I didn't have it for the 305. I'm scare of losing the watch in the swim. I wear the watch during the swim to be able to track it, but I wear it with the watch in the inside of my wrist, so I can look at it during the bike. At the beginning of the run, I change it to its normal position.

3. I only download my workouts to one computer, so I'm not sure how it will work to download them into different ones. However, it is very simple for one computer, you only have to stick the USB while having your watch on and data will transmit automatically. You don't have to do anything.

2013-05-23 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
That GPS discussion was interesting. For awhile I was thinking about getting one, but decided against it.

Anyone train without a tech watch/GPS device/HR monitor?
2013-05-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Miami
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

That GPS discussion was interesting. For awhile I was thinking about getting one, but decided against it.

Nope. I love looking at the data after my workouts. I think I can't train without technology (actually today I was about to arrive to my masters swim class when I realized I left my watch at home. I went back to get it!).

However, this does mean that I look at it very often. I wear it to be able to track and analyze data after my workouts. I usually have it set up the with training zones i want to target, so during workouts I only look at it when I'm working on something very specific (i.e.: maintaining a certain cadence, work in a specific HR zone during intervals, etc.) and mostly all the time I can set alerts for it.

Also, training with technology helps me get to know myself better. I'm new to the sport (started last year), it helped me a lot to match my RPE zones with my HR zones and, in general, to train smarter.
2013-05-23 10:04 PM

User image

Expert

I have a timex IM, but wish I had purchased the 910. My first two years I trained with just a stop watch. I would not want to go back. Especially, with the HR information. I train smarter with the information.
2013-05-23 11:03 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Dallas
Hard to beat the 910, by far the best I've owned. Today I did my first workout since my race. Felt good.
2013-05-24 12:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

WSU
Been a busy few days. So catching up here.

Went up to my dad's place on the lake and spent the weekend. First, he always trains in open water, so being able to swim at any time was nice. Got two swims in over the couple days I was there. None of those were longer than 30 mins though, but helped me get use to the borrowed wetsuit from my college tri team. Biggest issue with the wetsuit, is it makes me feel constricted when I breathe. I will practice a few more times. Is this a common feeling when first using a wetsuit for an open water swim?

Next, he is also letting me borrow his Obrea road bike.This is a major change for me since I was using a mountain bike and no clips. Of course the first day was all on the trainer so no open road while I got use to the differences. The next day, we went to a school around the corner that had a nice figure eight pattern for the parking lot. Since it was the weekend, was no cars in the lot, so I was able to work everything from clipping in and out, going through the gears, etc. Was about 30 mins worth of work. Only once or twice did I end up on my arse because I would clip out on the left side, but leaned to the right side after stopping. With 2 1/2 weeks to my first tri, I will get as much work with the new bike and transition practice I can.

I use a 910 and enjoy that I can get alot of information. Sometimes though the GPS plays quirks on me, but I think that is because out here on the Palouse, there are alot of rocks around and interfere with signals. However, now I have to get use to the log again, as I see it doesn't take in the start time from the Garmin when I import information like it use to.

Nice race also E!!

Edited by CWard 2013-05-24 12:48 AM

2013-05-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Master
Dallas
Originally posted by CWard

Been a busy few days. So catching up here.

Went up to my dad's place on the lake and spent the weekend. First, he always trains in open water, so being able to swim at any time was nice. Got two swims in over the couple days I was there. None of those were longer than 30 mins though, but helped me get use to the borrowed wetsuit from my college tri team. Biggest issue with the wetsuit, is it makes me feel constricted when I breathe. I will practice a few more times. Is this a common feeling when first using a wetsuit for an open water swim?

Next, he is also letting me borrow his Obrea road bike.This is a major change for me since I was using a mountain bike and no clips. Of course the first day was all on the trainer so no open road while I got use to the differences. The next day, we went to a school around the corner that had a nice figure eight pattern for the parking lot. Since it was the weekend, was no cars in the lot, so I was able to work everything from clipping in and out, going through the gears, etc. Was about 30 mins worth of work. Only once or twice did I end up on my arse because I would clip out on the left side, but leaned to the right side after stopping. With 2 1/2 weeks to my first tri, I will get as much work with the new bike and transition practice I can.

I use a 910 and enjoy that I can get alot of information. Sometimes though the GPS plays quirks on me, but I think that is because out here on the Palouse, there are alot of rocks around and interfere with signals. However, now I have to get use to the log again, as I see it doesn't take in the start time from the Garmin when I import information like it use to.

Nice race also E!!
Full sleeve wetsuits can feel very restrictive, this is very normal. I prefer sleeveless unless the water is very cold. You may want to try that.
2013-05-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by JBacarella

I have a timex IM, but wish I had purchased the 910. My first two years I trained with just a stop watch. I would not want to go back. Especially, with the HR information. I train smarter with the information.

Cool. Does the HR honestly help that much? I'm not doubting, just honest curiosity.

I ask because I've been running for a long time (a little more than 10 years) and I've only ever trained with a watch. I have a good sense of RPE and what pacing I can hold and how well my body can hold up at a certain pace.

I think my hesitation is making working out more complicated. I enjoy the simplicity of stepping out my door and running or riding. The rest of my life is so full of technology, data, and beeps that I like the break I get when working out. I like being reliant on myself only for my performance and not having technology to blame if something goes wrong (with the watch or something).

With that said, I can't do a workout WITHOUT a watch. Without knowing my performance/time, getting my s/b/r in isn't enjoyable.

So I guess the philosophical side of me doesn't want a HRM/GPS, but the competitive side knows it will help.

- Joel
2013-05-24 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Thanks for the feedback regarding the 910.

I might put the 910 on hold. After thinking about it, I need to improve my swimming technique and endurance more than anything, and having the extra analytics might not help me much, and might actually hinder me as I might try to do too many fixes at the same time.

I think I will use the "savings" to first get tri bike shoes . I currently have road shoes (Mavic Avenir - which I love), but fiddling with the ratchet during races is a pain. And the more money I save, the easier it will be to convince my wife that I really need the tri bike that I am planning to get at the end of the year Smile

I like to "earn" my new toys, so I might give myself a few goals and if I accomplish them I will get the 910 as a reward for next season. Have not decided yet, might be race result oriented, training oriented, or 2014 plan (i.e. signing up for a HIM).

Regarding HR/GPS training, I truly believe that it made my training more efficient. The HR data is priceless, and the GPS allows me to a) analyze my runs by segments (being every mile, every 2 miles, etc); and b) run specific distances even if I am in a unfamiliar place

2013-05-24 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Another question that might elicit multiple responses (i am sure Crhis will have to say something about this if he sees this post)

Yesterday I stopped at a "LRS" (actually a chain of running specific mall stores called fit2trun), as they were having a great sale. Could not find my running shoes (currently using Saucony Hurricane, but also looking for Brooks Adrenaline) but bought a pair of Brooks PureConnect (0 mm drop) for $40.

I currently run in 8mm drop shoes (Saucony Hurricane), and was wondering any advice on including the Connect on my shoe rotation. I know your are supposed to start easy, but is a 3-mile easy run "easy" enough? Start once a week? I am probably planning to use these shoes for my shorter runs, and maybe sprint races, and continue to use the hurricanes for longer runs, as my calves are somewhat tight and don't want to force it.

Worse case scenario, for the price, these are cool sneakers to wear every day.

2013-05-24 11:54 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella

Cool. Does the HR honestly help that much? I'm not doubting, just honest curiosity.

I ask because I've been running for a long time (a little more than 10 years) and I've only ever trained with a watch. I have a good sense of RPE and what pacing I can hold and how well my body can hold up at a certain pace.

I think my hesitation is making working out more complicated. I enjoy the simplicity of stepping out my door and running or riding. The rest of my life is so full of technology, data, and beeps that I like the break I get when working out. I like being reliant on myself only for my performance and not having technology to blame if something goes wrong (with the watch or something).

With that said, I can't do a workout WITHOUT a watch. Without knowing my performance/time, getting my s/b/r in isn't enjoyable.

So I guess the philosophical side of me doesn't want a HRM/GPS, but the competitive side knows it will help.

- Joel

I have been using HR for about 1.5 years, and it has made a huge difference. I started with the Maffetone method when I started training with a heart rate monitor. My times have gotten better, I have increased distance significantly and the aches and pains have been minimal. Its incredible how well it works. The GPS info is just fun to have.

2013-05-24 12:59 PM

User image

New user

WSU
Originally posted by ernestov
Full sleeve wetsuits can feel very restrictive, this is very normal. I prefer sleeveless unless the water is very cold. You may want to try that.

The water temp here in Washington might still be little cold for sleeveless. The water temperature is probably going to be high 50's.
2013-05-24 8:43 PM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Expert
Does anyone have anything going this weekend. I am doing a 40 mile bike "tour." I have trouble wrapping my head around paying money to not race. It should be fun. I am using it as my first real workout after last weeks marathon.
2013-05-24 10:02 PM

User image

Ernesto, have you post your IMTX race report?
2013-05-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Expert
My tour went well. I hooked up with a pack of roadies who were willing to tolerate me and my TT bike. Stayed in the peloton for the first 26 miles, then it blew to pieces. Seems like they were "not racing" either. The 3 strongest riders accelerated then disappeared into the distance. I was able to drop their slower riders, but could not keep up with the strong riders. I finished 4th. The course out was mostly up hill back mostly down. Great tailwind for the out, which means strong headwind for the back 25mph gusts. Temp was 48 F at start 55 at finish.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21