BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)
Awesome Goal

Originally posted by pnwdan

KC - 14.5 hours, got it :-D

My goal for the full Olympic:

Swim 1.5k at <1:50 / 100m
Bike 40k at 20mph+
Run 10k at < 9 min / mile
T1 + T2 of 3 min

Total time under 2 hours 40 minutes

2014-01-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Two more sounds like a plan Tim - and as much as I don't want it to happen - we will lose someone

KC

Originally posted by tmoran80

Welcome to the group Todd and Paul. So here is my list of member for this session - please let me know if I forgot anyone:

1. tmoran80 - Tim
2. kcgolf - Kevin
3. cheekymonkeys1 - Deb
4. IceManScott - Scott
5. krazytallchick - Kathy
6. WillTriForBeer - Jen
7. gdelamora - Gil
8. kruzmeister - Simone
9. ettringite - Todd
10. Lou_70 - Lou
11. murdock - Murdock
12. EV3110 - Elana
13. Herb Doc - Anne
14. pnwdan - Dan
15. Healthlawyer - Todd
16. PaulEC104

Normally I would close the group with this amount but i will eave it up to you guys. I don't mind adding a couple more new members since we have our core group and 10 returning members but I don't want it ot be too overwhelming for the newer members trying to keep up with 20 new people. let me know what you guys think? My thought is maybe 2 more?

2014-01-18 10:13 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Tim - that's what I am talking about - lol. Lots of fun

As far as plan is concerned I will email to you - Thanks a Bunch.

KC

KC I looked back and didn't see a link for you plan just the jpg. image of the time? I also went to your page and I used to be able to look at "planned" log but now I can only see the "actual" training. email me the plan and I will take a look. Based off you volume chart it didn't look like any glaring issues.

As far as the procedures aren't there are a couple that you have to do when you get to be an old man like you haha. Are you talking about colonoscopy? I had it done last year and nothing to worry about. I had to just take it easy for the rest of the day mostly because of the anesthesia. Drinking the stuff the night before -well that is a whole different story.

Originally posted by kcgolf

Tim – if you do look at my plan let me know what you think – built it on BT. It is a 28 week program but I am planning on tossing some of your plan into it along the way as well. The one thing about the BT plans is that when you build them that long they produce some weird and short bikes so I plan on modifying those as I start to build my fitness back. My overall goal for my workouts this year is to pay more attention to the details in them. Last year – based on a bunch of crap – selling my house, moving, buying a new house, severely twisting my ankle, missing significant training time, renovating the house I bought, getting divorced blah blah blah (insert some life event, distraction or health issue here) all I really did was put in time – I swam, I biked, I ran but with no purpose. Therefore, I am going to be purposeful in my workouts and that is going to start with the bike – because – well because – I SUCK lol. So that is my plan and I hope to do my best to stick with it. Now if you are going to force me to come up with a goal time – I have one in my head so here you go – I want to finish IM LP in less than 14.5 hours. There I said it lol – There it is and I am going to need every single one of you to help me ?
Now one other thing I want to share / ask of the team and here it is - I turned 50 last November and with that ripe old age comes certain invasive medical procedures (if you know what I mean). This has been scheduled for late March – oh yay ? I am sure that is TMI for a lot of you – sorry ? but has anyone else in here had that done and if so what can I expect in terms of missed physical activity if any? Scott I think you and I are the old ones in here lol and I know you have had some issues in that area – care to share anything with me?
OK – thanks team – run tonight and bike in the morning to finish off the week – rest Sunday – have a great weekend everyone.
KC

2014-01-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

First - great tips on the bike Tim - thanks.

OK - week one in the books 27 more to go haha (god help me).

I would say it worked out ok, short a few meters in the pool but I got my runs in and bikes in - even though I took it easy and am just easing back into it all. I got 3 swims, 3 runs, 3 bikes - just like the plan asked for Tomorrow, rest and football and plan for next weeks work week.

Have a great weekend everyone.

KC
2014-01-18 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Good job, KC! Keep the momentum moving!

Todd
2014-01-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: PaulEC104

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) OPEN
Welcome, Paul! You should find guidance here on your goal! I went from coach to sprint a couple years ago, and I think a few other have as well!

Glad to have you!

Todd

2014-01-18 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Dan,

The distance may be off. I recall my garmin being touchy during that race...I likely commented on it in the race report.

Regardless, a 1:48/ 100 yd swim in most races (sprint and oly) will likely put me in top 20 % age group for the swim and put me in contention for top 20 % AG finish. In reviewing HIM swim times from previous Racine and Eaglehead results, this would hold true as well. Remember, these are OWS and not pool swims.

Looking forward,
Todd
2014-01-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Regular
I had to break my streak of consecutive days of SBR..ended at 47 days of SBR I had an asthma flare up on Thusday night and missed yesterday and today. I plan to get back tomorrow with a swim. I am going to start up again and try for 60/60 again.

Looking forward,

Todd
2014-01-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Expert
1:48 is a good time for OWS but I also kind of think that you need to be around 1:30-1:40 to be in top 20% but it really does depend on the race. If fyou look at Racine from last year a 1:48 would be top 5% with the 4' swells.

The swim is so minimal to the overall impact on your race though. A bad swim can easily be made up if you are a strong biker/runner.

Originally posted by ettringite23

Dan,

The distance may be off. I recall my garmin being touchy during that race...I likely commented on it in the race report.

Regardless, a 1:48/ 100 yd swim in most races (sprint and oly) will likely put me in top 20 % age group for the swim and put me in contention for top 20 % AG finish. In reviewing HIM swim times from previous Racine and Eaglehead results, this would hold true as well. Remember, these are OWS and not pool swims.

Looking forward,
Todd
2014-01-18 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hey gang. Hard to keep up withal the energy here.

Hydration - I am a sweater too. You'll use 2 bottles an hour. Can't carry that much. I carry three bottles. One on the aero bars, which is quick fill. Then two others. I add electrolytes. Try it in practice so you know what your stomach will handle. On my first half IM I used a liquid nutrition so one bottle was devoted to that. Used it on my first IM, too. There is plenty of water on the coarse. The key is getting in your electrolytes. I used to get cramps on the run. Started using magnesium supplements and they went away ...none on the swim workouts anymore either.

Bike - Working on getting strong on the bike to work less to go faster is a key. Strength exercises now = SEs = low cadence 50 to 60 rpms with high power for intervals of 5 mins working to 10 or 15 is a good thing to do once a week at least. More experienced people can do more. I do them three times a week during the base period. Then one time high cadence drills and single leg drills and one time a longer ride at zone 2 easy to moderate. During build phase I do hills X 1, speed intervals X 1 and long ride X 1 and easy recovery ride X 1.

I can't stress hil work in running and cycling enough. Really good stuff.

2014-01-18 3:31 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Chicago
Hey Iceman - I picked up on your comment about magnesium supplement. I tend to cramp also on the run but I haven't tried using a magnesium supplement. I will look into it.

Originally posted by IceManScott

Hey gang. Hard to keep up withal the energy here.

Hydration - I am a sweater too. You'll use 2 bottles an hour. Can't carry that much. I carry three bottles. One on the aero bars, which is quick fill. Then two others. I add electrolytes. Try it in practice so you know what your stomach will handle. On my first half IM I used a liquid nutrition so one bottle was devoted to that. Used it on my first IM, too. There is plenty of water on the coarse. The key is getting in your electrolytes. I used to get cramps on the run. Started using magnesium supplements and they went away ...none on the swim workouts anymore either.

Bike - Working on getting strong on the bike to work less to go faster is a key. Strength exercises now = SEs = low cadence 50 to 60 rpms with high power for intervals of 5 mins working to 10 or 15 is a good thing to do once a week at least. More experienced people can do more. I do them three times a week during the base period. Then one time high cadence drills and single leg drills and one time a longer ride at zone 2 easy to moderate. During build phase I do hills X 1, speed intervals X 1 and long ride X 1 and easy recovery ride X 1.

I can't stress hil work in running and cycling enough. Really good stuff.

2014-01-18 3:34 PM

User image

Chicago
KC- looks like you are on a roll. Great job this week. I haven't put as plan together yet because I'm working on my endurance especially with the swim and trying to get back into running.

Originally posted by kcgolf

Good Morning Team.

First - great tips on the bike Tim - thanks.

OK - week one in the books 27 more to go haha (god help me).

I would say it worked out ok, short a few meters in the pool but I got my runs in and bikes in - even though I took it easy and am just easing back into it all. I got 3 swims, 3 runs, 3 bikes - just like the plan asked for Tomorrow, rest and football and plan for next weeks work week.

Have a great weekend everyone.

KC
2014-01-18 4:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kenmore, Washington
That's what I'm thinking. ChelanMan 2013 was a good sized Olympic with 461 finishers. Top 20% swam it in 27:50, so 1:35/100y. The other race I'm considering (Black Diamond Olympic) the top 20% was out of the water after 26:26, so 1:31/100y.

Both of those were lake swims so I doubt there were any significant swells.

Update - day 20 of SBR is in the books.

1:48 is a good time for OWS but I also kind of think that you need to be around 1:30-1:40 to be in top 20% but it really does depend on the race. If fyou look at Racine from last year a 1:48 would be top 5% with the 4' swells.

The swim is so minimal to the overall impact on your race though. A bad swim can easily be made up if you are a strong biker/runner.

Originally posted by ettringite23

Dan,

Looking forward,
Todd

Edited by pnwdan 2014-01-18 4:29 PM
2014-01-19 1:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Has anyone read 'Born to Run'? Just finished it, great read, very inspiring!

2014-01-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

NE Wisconsin
Originally posted by kruzmeister

No Simone-who is the author/subject?
I am new to this quote thing-hopefully it works out.

Anne/Herb doc

Edited by Herb Doc 2014-01-19 11:06 AM
2014-01-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: Herb Doc

NE Wisconsin
Ok dropping in since Sundays when Im not on call is the only time I have.

It was a productive bike & run week, pool not so much. Mon & Tuesday there was plenty of snowshovelling and driveway ice so I had to stay home & on bike on a Cycleops. I did notice references to Trainer Road and Sweet Spot Build which I plan to look in to since the DVDs I have are Spinervals and I need something else to look at besides inside of a gym. though, they got me on the bike so they aren't too bad. I cant stream cuz my internet sucks.

Got 10 miles long run in and this upcoming week is cutback according to Smart Coach plan so I have NO EXCUSES for not getting into the pool. It has all easy running ...thinking of inserting a tempo run in midweek instead and rest easy. 18 miles next week total, that's it.

aaah the pool. Get in-first step haha. I will take a laminated copy of my Olympic plan which has some 1200 m swims with pool toys to keep me occupied. My kick takes me backward and is always a work in progress which I rebel against because dang it this is supposed to be like active recovery for my legs right????

I have noticed that several people here have Pleasant Prairie on their list and since that is about as friendly a swim as ever there will be, I'm signing up!! I may be on call or whatever-will try to swap if that happens.

Eating- plan is to look thru the WW Simple Start food list and try to chop as many veggies as humanly possible the rest of today and try to get over the fowl recipes since they seem to love those. I do not eat fowl or red meat. Do eat fish and beans and pork, the latter with much guilt since a pig donated her/his heart valve so my brother could live.

Glad I have no colonoscopy pending, but appreciate the willingness of this group to discuss their health issues. OK off to look up Born to Run which I hear is a good book, but must finish Going Long first before I buy another.
thanks! will check back hopefully Monday night. Wrote down everybody's names to try keeping close to straight.

2014-01-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4920811

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Born to Run (Chris McDougal) is a great read. It actually inspired me to totally overhaul my running technique over the last couple of years. I now run exclusively in zero drops and have none of the physical issues I used to routinely have (I had persistent fasciitis for years). It's totally gone now. Its an enjoyable read just for the story but for anyone who hasnt explored natural running, especially if you have persistent running injuries, I highly recommend looking in to this approach.

Not much time for training this weekend. 1500 in the pool on thursday, 7 on the treadmill thursday nite. 4.6mi run at 9:20pace this afternoon (mighty cold in Pa today). I hope to get 20 or so on the bike this evening.

I appreciate the thoughts on hydration and the bike.
2014-01-19 9:26 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Oh boy, I am so late to the party.

Sorry guys, life has been a tad hectic these past few weeks!

I will likely be reading more than I post as I start back to school this coming week, but I will join in as much as I can. I've really missed this group.

2014-01-19 9:28 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
BTW KC, 14.5 is totally doable for you @ LP. You'll be just fine - I can't wait to cheer you on. Volunteer sign ups is in just 12 days, and I have my accommodation already booked.
2014-01-20 10:02 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Chicago
Hello Simone - I read it about a year ago. I got a lot out of it especially with my injury. It got me thinking more about running barefoot which I do once in a while and also got me thinking about the type of shoes that I use to run. Even though I have been wanting a pair of Newton's running shoes, I haven't purchased any running shoes since I read that book.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

2014-01-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4934651

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Gil, before you invest in Newtons, you might give the Brooks Pure series a try. They are less expensive and I loved them right out of the box. I prefer the pure connect.

2014-01-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Extreme Veteran
You all have been busy, or I have been slacking as I just spent 30 minutes catching up on everyone's post.

Welcome, Murdock, Elena, Anne, Dan, Paul and Todd!
Anne - very jealous as I love Door County and want to go back.

Lou - Congratulations on your marathon! I heard that is a great one. It is on my bucket list.

Simone - During the HIM and IM I ran to each aid station and then would walk thru the aid station and once I finished eating or drinking I will start running again till the next aid station. Those stations are about 1 to 1.5 miles apart. For the marathon I did a 12:1 ratio. I have a 10 miler coming up and I think I will cut that down big time to 4:1 ratio. If you look up Jeff Galloway he will walk you thru what ratio you should use based on your mile time.

KC - I am so sorry to hear about your friend. How is the IM training going?

Tim - So glad you got your surgery scheduled. I have started the Sweet Spot Immediate building and so far I am not liking it as I have to go so freaking slow to keep my HR down. But I am following regardless.

Gil - I had (and probably still do) a hamstring grade 1 tear and my physical therapist told me that if the pain is not too intense I could keep running. I am sure that I have changed my running some to make sure I don't mess up that hamstring anymore.

I promise I will do better and stay up with you all.
Kathy (KTC)
2014-01-20 7:01 PM

Tim - I'm a bit late to the party but noticed your group is still open. I'd like to jump in if I can. I'll post a more complete bio shortly. Suffice it to say I'm a newbie and looking for advice and motivation.

Thanks,

Darrin
2014-01-21 12:40 AM
in reply to: dhabernathy

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

G'day Team,

I hope everyone is having a cracking good week, weather wise and training wise. We survived our heat wave (just). I managed to get up early to do most of my training, some core work was done in front of the water cooler! Had my first swim for the year today. Took me a while to get my confidence up to go back in the water, but once I got to the pool and hopped in I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'm loving being back on the bike too and slowly increasing my rides. I cannot wait to start running so that I can finally feel like a triathlete in training again, rather than someone trying to get over an injury and lose weight.

Gil - interesting thoughts on Born to Run, like you I got a lot out of it also. I'm reluctant to mess too much with my stride just yet, but I will see how things go when I start back running. Oh and KC runs in Newtons, so you might want to ask him how he found the transition.

Anne - as other members have already said, Born to Run is a great read, for inspiration, motivation and just an all round good adventure.

KTC - what you've said about running between aid stations and then walking until you got your liquid/food down and then running again was how I was planning to do my IM too. I've also decided to take it one step further and power walk the really steep hills and make up time on the downhill. From memory the run course at IMOZ is pretty flat, thankfully cause the bike is a killer.

Tim - All the best with your hernia op, I'm sure you'll be up and training in no time.

KC - All the best with your 'procedure' too, hope it all goes well.

Oh and welcome to the new members, don't be shy, jump on in and ask away, lots of Ironmen and women in here with tonnes of experience to offer advice!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

2014-01-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I should get my new schedule today. I'm really worried about fitting it all in, but I guess I just have to start, and see how it goes: I have 20 weeks till my half, and I am considering going down to TN with a friend in 16 weeks to do one of the REV3 races.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30092 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.