BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-06-02 1:01 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Today's accomplishment? I didn't NOT run!
Originally posted by Mr10670

I know the feeling. This morning was especially tough coming off a weekend, and I am feeling tired since I did train all weekend. I could have taken the day off, but I still dragged my butt to the gym! This is my last workout before my first Triathlon on June 8th (Keuka Lake Triathlon). This will give me 5 days of rest before raceday.

On this note, what would be the recommended rest time before and after raceday? I am thinking of doing another tri in either August or October. Getting the bike tuned up, making my equipment checklist, and am really excited and nervous at the same time!

Mike

Mike, there really is no set time for recovery or pre-race taper / rest. I can tell you that something I did in reference to the days leading up to my first race was to look at the last days of a plan here on BT that was for the distance I was about to do. I can tell you that for me and a Sunday race, I will usually do an easy swim Fri in the morning and then a 5 or so mile bike and a 1/2 or 1 mile run on Saturday. The ride and runs are not hard but merely a way to stretch and make sure the bike and my body are functioning properly. Your biggest friend the days leading up to the race is to drink water, eat right, and get a good nights sleep the days leading up to it. Recovery depends on your body, this distance, and how hard you pushed on race day. I just kind of go with the flow and will always start back by swimming first. For a sprint that you are in shape for you may not need any recovery or just one day to let your body relax. I have found that for me my body takes almost two weeks to start feeling normal after a Half Ironman Race. I can do things during that time but I just don't feel all there or 100% until around the 2 week mark.

2014-06-02 1:08 PM
in reply to: sljackso

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Originally posted by sljackso

I would like to added to your mentor program if possible. You will understand after I explain a bit of my story. I am a 54 year old female, empty nester, single. On April 28, 2014 I quit smoking cigarettes after a 40 year habit beginning at the age of 13. When I quit, I was up to over a pack a day. Quitting has provided free time, and I decided I would start exercising. I was an athlete in high school so I thought it might be a relatively easy transition. It's been everything but easy. I reached out to local groups in my area to no avail. The day after I quit smoking, I joined the gym and jumped in the pool. I wasn't able to complete one lap in freestyle because I couldn't breathe. So disappointed in myself and it was almost a defeating moment. Since then, I swam a few times, got on the tread mill, and picked up a cheap FUJI bicycle. My knees are aching. I bought the bike on Saturday and rode 17.57 miles on Sunday....probaby too much too soon. If I had my druthers, I would like to do the PINK POWER sprint tri in Richmond Virginia on August 9. I've always been an overachiever and this might be a lofty goal. Oh....the weight thing....I've been blessed with being relatively thin. I need to work on muscle development and endurance. I'm 5 ft 7 inch, and probably weigh in around 125. I would love to know your thoughts and appreciate your time. Thank you, Suzanne oh yeah, heres a photo of me after my first bike ride....my knees are aching today!

Suzanne, welcome to the group and a happier / healthier you. I'm sure you read my story and I can tell you that the swim / breathing is probably the most difficult / slowest improving discipline due to our years of abusing our lungs. It will get better I promise but it is not as easy road. Go when you can, take breaks when you need to, just keep working at it and don't get discouraged. I also tell people who are starting out like this that you are in the perfect time to try and make sure you are swimming correctly. You are not set in a particular way and it really wouldn't slow you down. Stay positive and just tell yourself that no matter what "I'm not going to ever again even take a puff". Not knowing more I would say that you go be ready by August 9th. Again welcome to the group.
2014-06-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: Lain Down

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lain Down

Hey there-
If there is room i would like to join the fray.
my user name is Lain Down but my name is Paul.
I am 44 years old. I've been running for the past four years. I like distance runs. 10ks, 20ks, half marathons. I did one marathon but that was a long time to be doing anything. I run 25-30 miles a week.
I have been married for 18 years and we have 3 boys: 16, 14 & 12. Everyone runs in our family. My wife is the 5K queen and the boys, well, they are machines when it comes to running.
So we signed up for a Triathlon Aug 9th. Our first one.
I was a swimmer/lifeguard until about 20 and haven't really swam much since.
My wife and I pedal but it is more a leisurely stroll around the block. (we live in the country so our around the block is 8 miles.) but we have never really pushed ourselves on bikes, which is fine. We are not looking to win the thing, just finish the thing.
Hoping to get some advice and support in this nutty endeavor. Looking forward to pushing into something new.

Paul welcome to the group and sport. You have a great run base, which certainly puts you well above the curve especially for a new to the sport person. I have never put in the kind of weeks mileage you are talking about. As a runner the one thing you are going to learn is that if you are not ready for the bike it will affect your run time. I had a friend that road very little and ran all the time and figured that because the running was harder he would be great at his first Half Ironman. It did do a great job but at a much slower pace then he thought he would. He admitted that the bike limited his ability to run. Again welcome and enjoy the ride.
2014-06-02 1:21 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
Alright, I believe that we have a great group and more than enough people to keep thing flowing. I showed Basically Closed because I have had people PM me after it closes with their reasons for wanting in the group and to be honest I really don't want to turn anyone away, because the last thing I want to do is alter a person's quest for something better. I believe that we all feed off of each other and can really project positive thoughts towards each other. I will try to work on the list later tonight / tomorrow and will try to get it to work with links for easier access.

Now the fun starts, let's work hard, inspire, and be inspired. I can tell you that it is awesome how many accomplishments this group has already shared before even really kicking off.

O'Ya, on another topic, If you ever have something you want to ask but don't really want it out in the group, please feel free to send me a PM and I will help anyway I can.
2014-06-02 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Yes, I stood, stooped, bent and leaned into to my stretches for 15 minutes at my desk as coworker stared at me with the "What is she doing!" look.
2014-06-02 1:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-06-02 5:33 PM
in reply to: cassowary

Subject: RE: Just waiting for that race report!
Thanks so much for sharing. I laughed really hard but also recognized how well you did. Congratulations!
2014-06-02 5:37 PM

I'm so new here I don't know what I don't know. I've started a Couch to Sprint training plan. I'm curious to know if I should limit myself to only the training listed in the plan. In other words, not in the plan, is the 12 mile fun ride I plan to do this Saturday. Do I drop one of the bike training sessions or just do it as an add on. When it says run for 10 minutes and I'm used to walk/running for 25 to 35 minutes do I only do the 10 or can I add on?
Thanks.
John
2014-06-02 6:57 PM

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I am going to meet with a personal trainer in two wks. I printed out the original sprint 13 wk training program, and other than that, guess I will just keep trudging forward. Funny that u mentioned a happier and healthier lifestyle. Some times I really want a cigarette...but ya know, I really do feel happier. I'm not sure how to use the group but I'll figure it out. And sorry I couldn't upload my photo for some reason. I really want to do pink power and I'm sure I can represent the group as a very slow moving turtle...but ya know, I am just so psyched to tri!!!
2014-06-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: 2new2know

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2new2know

I'm so new here I don't know what I don't know. I've started a Couch to Sprint training plan. I'm curious to know if I should limit myself to only the training listed in the plan. In other words, not in the plan, is the 12 mile fun ride I plan to do this Saturday. Do I drop one of the bike training sessions or just do it as an add on. When it says run for 10 minutes and I'm used to walk/running for 25 to 35 minutes do I only do the 10 or can I add on?
Thanks.
John

I think it best to start with a plan that has a first week of workouts that are the most you know you can safely do. Another words, there is no reason to go backwards with a plan. If you already do a weekly total of 1.5 hours of bike, 1 hour of run, and 1 hour of swim, there is no reason (unless injuried) to go backwards for a plan and start at :45, :30, and :30. What I have said to others before is if you like the plan then find the first week of the plan that you know you can do without hurting yourself while not stepping back. Then maybe do that week for 2 to 3 weeks before progressing to know you are in a good place for the ramped up weeks that will follow. I hope this is what you were looking for. To the other part: if you want to do something the plan does not call for and know you can safely do it, then go ahead. You will have to have flexiblity and so will your plan, after all it is you who is doing the training. I always tell myself not to over think things and to try and keep it stupid simple.
2014-06-02 10:30 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot. I was over-thinking it. I appreciate your input.
John

2014-06-03 3:23 AM

Good morning turtles :-) (Did I mention I'm in the UK?)

Been for a great swim this morning before work. It's great being in a group - I already feel just a little bit accountable (if that's the right word - not sure!), which is good for motivation!

Have a great day everyone!

2014-06-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: List of Turtles
O.K., so I know there is likely a much easier way to do this, but at least I'm giving you a way to get the list and links for all logs into your plans. If someone else knows the simpler way to do this, then please share.

Listed below is a way to get everyone into your dashboard (log) with direct links to their logs. If you just want to have every one is your Friends list, well then that is super simple. Left Click on the persons user name and then left click on Add Friend in the box that pops up and your done. Your Friends list can be found under Commuity when you hover over it.

Here we go. I have provided a link by each persons name, which when selected takes you straight to that persons training log, makes it easy to check in on and inspire others right from your training log (dashboard)

1. Right Click on the link and select Copy Shortcut
2. Go to your training log and select Edit Dashboard
3. Get the Curser where you will want the information to be and then click on the chain link looking icon (Insert / edit link)
4. Right Click in the URL Box and Select Paste
5. Click in the Text To Display Box you erase what is there and type in what you want to see in your dashboard. As you see in mine I put the Person's User Name - Real Name
6. Save that and then repeat!

This will likely be made a lot easier and faster if you have two windows open, 1 with your open dashboard (which won't have to be saved after each name if you do it this way), and 1 with the forum page containing all the links and names. If you go to my training log, you will see what it will look like and how I did mine.

Hunting Triathlete - Todd http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

AussieTurtle - Rod http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Taringa - Anna http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Kris67 - Kristen http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Lovey - Tracy http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

GimpyRUNR - Jenni http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

jardella - Jean http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Shanehurley497 - Shane http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

mbcoulter - Matt http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

cassowary - Patrick http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Mr10670 - Mike http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Meloumoo - Melissa http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

el penguino - Nancy http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

2new2know - John http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

janjan1981 - Janet http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

nevab - Neva http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Natflute - Nat http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

sljackso - Suzanne http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Lain Down - Paul http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0...

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-06-03 9:48 AM
2014-06-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: Natflute

I had a nice swim today too. I broke below the 2min/100 yard pace for the first time ever.

The swimming pool was so luxurious compared to the ocean I swam in over the weekend.
2014-06-03 12:49 PM

I got stuck on step 2 and couldn't find the "Edit Dashboard" option.

I think if everyone turns the privacy level off or down on their training log, we should be able to access each others logs just be clicking on the usernames.

Go to Settings - Training Log Settings - Privacy
2014-06-03 1:29 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Swimming
I got in a nice short swim this morning. I am focusing on my endurance but also want to track my pace.

I usually average 4:00 mins/ 100 yards on my swim. My coach timed me at 3:13/100 yards a couple months ago. I swam ALL OUT, about to blow a gasket to get down that pool. I don't swim like that. I do do this pace below when I swim with faster people because I am in a master class an dI really push to keep up.

I swim on my own a lot and I am trying to motivate and push myself. I usually drop to a 4:00/100 yards on my individual swims. This morning was a good morning. I felt good, nice breathing, steady heart rate and still manage to go just a little faster.

19:13 minutes - 1x 500 swim
04:40 minutes - 1x 150 pull
03:45 minutes - 1x 100 swim moderate
03:28 minutes - 1x 100 swim moderately hard

total 31:06 minutes for 850 yards at 3:40 min/100 yards

Here's to progress!

2014-06-03 3:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

I got stuck on step 2 and couldn't find the "Edit Dashboard" option.

I think if everyone turns the privacy level off or down on their training log, we should be able to access each others logs just be clicking on the usernames.

Go to Settings - Training Log Settings - Privacy

Patrick, first off congrats on the swim and busting that 2 minute door down. Everyone already has their logs to allow for viewing and you can just click on the name and go to the persons log will come up as you said. What I did in mine and what others have requested from me is the ability to have all of them in one place where they can merely click and look at them. If you open up my training log you will see what I'm referring to. Also you don't have to do it by any means because putting them as a friend will do basically the same thing and put them all in your friends list to click from there. Edit dashboard is in the top left corner of your training log just above and to the left of the current days logged information. I don't see were you have anything in that space.
2014-06-03 3:44 PM
in reply to: Lovey

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming
Originally posted by Lovey

I got in a nice short swim this morning. I am focusing on my endurance but also want to track my pace.

I usually average 4:00 mins/ 100 yards on my swim. My coach timed me at 3:13/100 yards a couple months ago. I swam ALL OUT, about to blow a gasket to get down that pool. I don't swim like that. I do do this pace below when I swim with faster people because I am in a master class an dI really push to keep up.

I swim on my own a lot and I am trying to motivate and push myself. I usually drop to a 4:00/100 yards on my individual swims. This morning was a good morning. I felt good, nice breathing, steady heart rate and still manage to go just a little faster.

19:13 minutes - 1x 500 swim
04:40 minutes - 1x 150 pull
03:45 minutes - 1x 100 swim moderate
03:28 minutes - 1x 100 swim moderately hard

total 31:06 minutes for 850 yards at 3:40 min/100 yards

Here's to progress!

That's what I'm talking about Tracy, Improvement. Keep it up and you will keep seeing it come down. GREAT JOB
2014-06-03 6:36 PM

Thanks for the info on how to put the links to everyone on our site. I am noticing others comment on their swim and I wanted to share what really helped my earlier this year. My gray group gave me information on how to build up and swim correctly and if this link works , please check it out. K9car363 gave me a detailed plan, which I followed and gradually got stronger and felt confidant during my first sprint in April, so I hope this can help others. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
If this link doesn't work, you can look back at the gray guys/girls group from jan 19, 2014 postings.

Edited by Kris67 2014-06-03 6:36 PM
2014-06-03 8:33 PM
in reply to: Kris67

I like this plan! I'm going to try this over the next couple weeks- I think I'm a little bit behind in swimming, but my technique is not too bad, so hopefully I can work through it. I have about 10 weeks until the sprint I want to do.
2014-06-04 3:43 AM
in reply to: el penguino

Gold Coast, Australia

Sounds like everyone's doing well and getting stuck in! I'm having an easy week this week...been feeling a bit flat and unmotivated, time for a rest . Back into it properly next week.

2014-06-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: Kris67

Kris that is incredibly helpful, thank you! I also struggle badly to maintain freestyle and am resigned to mixing up strokes in my sprint in 7.5 weeks, but using that kind of plan I reckon I can make some progress in that time! The principle of focusing 100% on technique is excellent - makes perfect sense. Thanks again
2014-06-04 8:03 AM

, New York
Subject: Today's run
North rd hill run - this is an up and over a hill and back again run. It starts with an immediate climb one mile long. The next mile includes some rolling hills (still with an overall elevation gain). Then I get a half-mile downhill until I turn around and then go back up, over and down the long hill again.

5 mile run with an elevation gain of about 420 feet. Overall pace 8min 55sec. I'm glad it was cool this morning!

Edited by mbcoulter 2014-06-04 8:05 AM
2014-06-04 8:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kris67

Thanks for the info on how to put the links to everyone on our site. I am noticing others comment on their swim and I wanted to share what really helped my earlier this year. My gray group gave me information on how to build up and swim correctly and if this link works , please check it out. K9car363 gave me a detailed plan, which I followed and gradually got stronger and felt confidant during my first sprint in April, so I hope this can help others. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
If this link doesn't work, you can look back at the gray guys/girls group from jan 19, 2014 postings.

Kristen, thanks for posting this to the group as I am sure some here would like to compare it to other plans when making a decision which way to go. For some people this will work great and be a super guide, for other people it won't be for them. That is why groups like this in my opinion are so great because if you were not in this group and did not post that, then everyone hear would have one less opinion and guide. I must be honest though the one thing I did not like in it was, "I have said repeatedly that technique trumps everything else. You can get in the water and swim lap upon endless lap, but if your technique is flawed, you are wasting your time." I know he is likely just referring to proper form and really improving, but any work, is work, and therefore beneficial, so hardly a waste of time. ie. running with poor form is not worthless running, it's just less effective. I'm not saying this to question him or minimize what he is saying because it is obvious that he knows his stuff and could swim laps around me. I'm just saying it because I don't want someone reading that one line and viewing anything they do as being a waste of time. Again thanks for posting, because that is like getting a paid workout plan for free.

Edited to add: I can tell you one thing that I can not remember if he posted, but goes along with what he is saying. I came to a point where it became easier for me to swim a set distance but I noticed that my swim time was staying the exact same. I then took up a masters swim class, which showed me that the only way I was going to really see any further gains in time from where I was, was to learn and swim with proper technique. I tried to alter my stroke as I have stated but it was too much and aggravated my back. At that point I decided that while not fast my pace was sufficient for any race I would do and I am happy with it. (I not close to the podium) I have also gotten to the point now that I really feel totally fresh upon exiting the water. This is why I tell people starting out and believe is what he is saying as well, is to learn properly and accept the slower times at the start, because bad habits get in grained in us and they are hard to shake.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-06-04 8:55 AM
2014-06-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: mbcoulter

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Today's run
Originally posted by mbcoulter

North rd hill run - this is an up and over a hill and back again run. It starts with an immediate climb one mile long. The next mile includes some rolling hills (still with an overall elevation gain). Then I get a half-mile downhill until I turn around and then go back up, over and down the long hill again.

5 mile run with an elevation gain of about 420 feet. Overall pace 8min 55sec. I'm glad it was cool this morning!

Matt, your the freaking man. One mile climb to start, WTH. I would come run with you but I'd have to start at the top of the hill and run down it Great job and at a great pace.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.