BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-06-12 8:34 PM
in reply to: Run4funrace2place

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN

Originally posted by Run4funrace2place Got room for one more? My name is Helena. I'm 31. 5'9.5. Married mother to 5 yo boy, 3 yo girl, and a 10 month old girl. I've been saying for years that I wanted to do a triathlon. I was terrified of cycling part because I had convinced myself I was going to get hit by a car. Got over that part and found I love it although I am riding an older bike that is slightly too small for me I think but it's going to have to do. 3 kids in private school/daycare kills my dream bike fund. Lol. Anyway, I'm a strong runner. I love it ! my favorite distance is the half marathon although I like to torture myself with a marathon every so often. And then there is swimming. I've recently joined a pool after not having swam a freestyle lap in 15 years. It's coming along though. The first week was trying to remember how to breathe and once I relaxed and got that down my swims have been going well. I'm going to do an Olympic distance on August 31st. There is a sprint I could do mid July but it may not be in the budget. I've done a duathlon recently and that has been my only multi sport event to date. I love running and I'm almost feel like I'm cheating on it! It's very hard with three kids, working full time, and trying to keep my house from becoming a garbage dump, to try to get all of these work outs in. I do three 4 or 5 mile runs plus a longer run on the weekend. I know when I really get into my training plan I'm going to have to give up a run or wake up earlier than I already do! Anyway, glad to be hear and I'm looking forward to being part of this group.

Hi Helena,

Welcome!  I took a quick look at your blog.  You mentioned Mobile, do you live there or Mississippi?  I went to college at USA and moved to Georgia from the Eastern Shore.  Let the group know if you have any specific questions or any topics for discussion.  I may actually have questions for you and some of the other experienced half and full marathoners in the group.  My run background consists of nothing longer than 10k's, but I'm looking to try my first Half-Ironman probably early next season.  The biggest question mark in my mind is the 13.1 mile run.  Anyway, more on that later, glad to have you in the group! 

2014-06-12 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5011660

User image

Would get a light workout in with aome strides and agood stretch. Good luck!
2014-06-12 10:35 PM
in reply to: #5011708

User image

Guess I'm in the minority! I only have two triathlons under my belt. Fortunately agree with double checking my gear, my equipment list, review race info and packet pickup time/location. Again good luck!
2014-06-13 12:25 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Chris, I saw on your race report (Great job on your race, btw! And great report!) that you mentioned your next race is the USAT Age Group National Championships in Milwaukee in August. Interestingly, a post about the championships popped up in my Facebook feed this morning. According to triathlon.competitor.com (http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/06/features/guide-triathlon-championship-qualification_100062/4), athletes have to meet strict qualifications to participate in that event. Just curious what process you had to go through to meet the qualifications. Was it because of your 2013 and/or 2014 finishes in USAT-sanctioned events? Is this something that happened automatically because of your finishes? Or is it something you had to apply for? You must be really excited! Which distance are you doing, and are you doing anything different with your training to prepare for it?
2014-06-13 8:07 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Chris, I saw on your race report (Great job on your race, btw! And great report!) that you mentioned your next race is the USAT Age Group National Championships in Milwaukee in August. Interestingly, a post about the championships popped up in my Facebook feed this morning. According to triathlon.competitor.com (http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/06/features/guide-triathlon-championship-qualification_100062/4), athletes have to meet strict qualifications to participate in that event. Just curious what process you had to go through to meet the qualifications. Was it because of your 2013 and/or 2014 finishes in USAT-sanctioned events? Is this something that happened automatically because of your finishes? Or is it something you had to apply for? You must be really excited! Which distance are you doing, and are you doing anything different with your training to prepare for it?

Thanks for reading Cassandra!

You qualify for the USAT National Championship race by finishing in the top 10% of your age group in a sanctioned race.  That is for the Olympic distance, which I will be racing.  That race is on Saturday.  The Sunday Sprint race, I believe is open sign up.  

When you win your age group or finish in the top 10% you get an email saying that you qualified and a link to register if you want to.  I qualified by winning my age group last September in a sprint race that only had 7 people in the age group.  So if you win, you get an invite even if there is less than 10 in the group.  I signed up because I wanted to have a "big race" experience.  Last year there were 2500 in the race and over 200 in my age group.  The top 18 in each group qualify for the 2015 World Championships which will be held in the U.S. (Chicago). The top 18 is way out of my league at this point, but I wanted to go for the experience and maybe come back in a few years and with a more legit shot.  My goal this year is to make the top half of the Age Group field, and even that will take a PR.

I've been trying to talk my brother into making the trip with me just to have some company and someone to take a few pictures and just help with the logistics of everything, but he hasn't been willing to commit to it.  Just yesterday I got an email from him where he had gotten his invitation to race after winning in Jekyll Island so now he is considering going as well.  

As far as training, I am re-evaluating and tweaking a few things.  Not just for this race but to focus on the Georgia Triathlon Series races in September and my end of September trip back to Battle of the Bridges in Melbourne, FL.  I also want to start building the base for a HIM next season.  I have almost 2 solid months before racing again, so I'ts time to get back to work and get ready for the 2nd half of the season!

2014-06-13 9:54 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Small world! I'm MS born and raised but moved to Mobile after college(Southern Miss) for my husband's job. We would love to eventually move to the Eastern Shore and build a house. We love it over there! I'm actually going to a community brick workout that is being held in Fairhope tomorrow. I'm doing the 20 mile bike/3 mi run option. The best part is that it's free and there will be food so I'm down!

LOVE running half marathons. I find that training for a half I don't get that burnt out feeling like I have felt with the full distance. I've always had big plans of Subbing 4 hours on a marathon but would just burn out at mile 21, 22. I FINALLY figured out that I was just getting hungry and gels just weren't cutting it. I figured out I needed real food so I've tried running with granola bars or peanut butter crackers. BIG difference on how I feel during my longer runs. I'm shooting for doing a marathon the beginning of November (Soldier Marathon most likely) so I'm hoping my peanut butter crackers will at least let me break 4 hours.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of stuff you need for a tri. I guess I'm just going to do the whole race in a razor back tank and a pair of tri shorts? Everything is so expensive! I figure I can just get by with the minimum for my first race. Any one thing you use during your races that you can't live without(with the exception of a decent bike ha I got to rock my 1980's Schwinn until Christmas)?

2014-06-13 10:06 AM
in reply to: Run4funrace2place

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by Run4funrace2place

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of stuff you need for a tri. I guess I'm just going to do the whole race in a razor back tank and a pair of tri shorts? Everything is so expensive! I figure I can just get by with the minimum for my first race. Any one thing you use during your races that you can't live without(with the exception of a decent bike ha I got to rock my 1980's Schwinn until Christmas)?

I was able to find a great deal on a tri suit on geartrade.com. I got it for $28!! I'm a first timer and never intended to invest in clothing, etc., but couldn't resist such a great deal. The website is a little sluggish, but worth the great deals you can find!
2014-06-13 6:57 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

New user
marriedthepoolguy - As to the rule of thumb on taking a light week, I think it depends on what type of race you did but I'm no expert. For Sprints I've been told you don't absolutely have to have a "light" week afterwards, especially if you train and compete for longer races. But for me, I like giving myself a reward, so to speak, where I still train but maybe I run with a friend who doesn't run as fast or bike and enjoy the scenery. I'm trying to keep the fun in triathlon so I need these reward weeks. I start feeling sort of antsy by the end of the light week anyway, thinking I should do more so that kind of helps get back into the swing of things.

I'm in ATL. Surprisingly large tri community here.
2014-06-13 9:59 PM
in reply to: #5011712

I'm wearing tri shorts ($28 on eBay, NIB) with a racerback quick-drying tank with (tight) shelf bra tomorrow. Wore it last Saturday at tri team practice when we did all 3 sports, and it was comfortable. I don't have a wetsuit, so I'll swim in that too - it's just a 300m outdoor pool swim. Hopefully it works out!

My event was supposed to have a first timers meeting this evening, and when I got there they casually told me it was cancelled. Um, thanks for the heads up. Way to help my nerves. And glad we drove all the way out there during the dinner hour for nothing! Hoping this isn't a sign of how the rest of the race will go...
2014-06-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5012197

First race in the books! I thought I did really well for my first tri. Had some issues with pacing and transitions, but I won my AG and was the 5th woman overall! I swam 10s better than my TT, and 8:04 pace in the run is a PR for me (with a small sample size). Race report here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2014-06-14 4:08 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 First race in the books! I thought I did really well for my first tri. Had some issues with pacing and transitions, but I won my AG and was the 5th woman overall! I swam 10s better than my TT, and 8:04 pace in the run is a PR for me (with a small sample size). Race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

That's Fantastic!  You can't ask for much more than to get a win first time out. Outstanding!  Are you hooked now?

------------

What kind of issues did you have in transition?  T1 looked a little slow, T2 looked pretty good.  Anything we can help with?

All your SBR times look solid.  A PR run off the bike is also impressive.  How did you feel on the run?

2014-06-14 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5012293

I'm thrilled with how I did, and am definitely hooked! I'm so not an athlete - I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my life I've had first place in anything sports-related, and I busted my butt in swimming and softball for years growing up.

I started too fast on the swim, and got really thrown off. It never crossed my mind that I could have an issue on the swim, and I did, which threw me for a mental loop early. T1 seemed really slow, and I struggled to get my socks on. I'll probably try riding without before my next race, and see if that works for me. I have SPD pedals on my bike, so one side is clip in and the other is for sneakers. It hurt my bike time and not transition, technically, but my right pedal was upside down and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't clip in!

In T2, the clip thing at the end of my quick laces broke when I put my running shoes on. Didn't really hurt anything, but stopped me for a second when I wasn't sure what had snapped. I also thought I knew where the exit for the run was, but did not. A volunteer corrected me before it cost me much time though, lol.

Overall, I'm very happy with how I did - just looking to do better next time
2014-06-15 6:14 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

anyway I can join? I'm new to the swim basically. I've run a 26.2 earlier this year and a number of 13.1.
New to the bike but I can cruise 30miles pretty easily.
that being said I can't swim very well. Only been in the water 4 times this week and I think I improved a little. working on technique but have really only done like 50yds over and over again. 100yds tomorrow maybe.

Doing a sprint in September and maybe a 2nd end of august if my swim improves by late july.

How long should it take me to be doing a 1/4mile comfortably in the pool? swimming 3days/week?
2014-06-15 10:09 PM
in reply to: rodzilla

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by rodzilla

anyway I can join? I'm new to the swim basically. I've run a 26.2 earlier this year and a number of 13.1.
New to the bike but I can cruise 30miles pretty easily.
that being said I can't swim very well. Only been in the water 4 times this week and I think I improved a little. working on technique but have really only done like 50yds over and over again. 100yds tomorrow maybe.

Doing a sprint in September and maybe a 2nd end of august if my swim improves by late july.

How long should it take me to be doing a 1/4mile comfortably in the pool? swimming 3days/week?

I am by far no expert on swimming, but I know exactly where you are coming from. My very first swim I was exactly where you are, only doing 50m, feeling like the other end of the pool was so far away. After that day, I thought it would take me at least 3 solid months to reach my goal of 600m. Let me say that my only credentials for giving advice are that I was able to increase my distance to 1000m non-stop on just my 7th swim! I don't know if those results are typical, but it was what I was able to achieve on my own with no coaching and no background in swimming.

What I found was that, for me, my swimming technique was more important to performance than in either of the other disciplines. I had a friend tell me that I would really see improvements when I started to "get it" and she was right. I did a lot of online research into learning to swim and breathe with better technique and the results speak for themselves.

In addition to this web site, I found very useful information on www.totalimmersion.net and www.swimsmooth.com. I particularly liked the "Mr. Smooth" app (free) you can download from Swim Smooth. It lets you view an efficient swim stroke from numerous angles and at different speeds. In particular, my swim distance was especially helped by learning to use body rotation to help utilize my larger muscles to propel me through the water for a more efficient stroke. Once I knew that I could comfortably make my event distance, then I could start to focus on improving/fine tuning my technique and increasing my speed.

Hope you find at least a little of this helpful and encouraging!
2014-06-16 7:58 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Americus, Georgia
I SURVIVED! First race is on the books!

So, the event is geared towards first timers. It is a quarter mile swim in very shallow water (you can stand up if you get tired), a 9 mile bike and a 2 mile run. I was able to switch my registration to Athena when I got there, which I was happy for (that wasn't an option in the original registration).
Waves went off every three minutes, and all the male age groups went first, then they did the Clydesdales and Athenas in one group, then all the women. We were standing in the water, waiting for the horn, and I realized that most of the Clydesdales were lined up in front of me. I didn't think too much about it, but did give a little chuckle and mentally said, "have at it, boys". Well, that chuckle quickly turned into frustration when the horn blew. The majority of the Clydesdales were not good swimmers, so they would take 5 strokes, stop and stand up. So you either ran slap into them, or you had to navigate around them. But I guess they didn't like getting passed by women because they quickly jumped back on it to blow past you and then do it all again. I felt like I never got a chance to get a decent rhythm going. And honestly, swim is my strongest category; in practice sessions leading up to the event I was blowing experienced racers out of the water. So to have that experience right off the block really messed with my head. By the time I got out of the water, I was ready to draw blood. The distance from the beach to the transition area was really long, so T1 took a long time. But by the time I got I on my bike and on the route, I was in "search and destroy" mode. I hopped on the bike and took my revenge by passing as many Clydesdales as I could find. T2 went pretty quickly (I don't use clipless pedals, so all I had to do was hop off and start running). I drank some extra water at the beginning of the run, which was a mistake. I got a stitch in my side about a mile in and wound up walking a quarter mile or so. But I was able to run across the finish line.
Results: 4th out of 19 Athenas, 192 out of 354 women, and 456 out of 717 participants. 1:10:57 was my time, beating my personal goal of 1:15.
I'm overall pleased with the event, and am looking forward to my next one in August!! I have GOT to work on my running. I have to get my head right, and start going into runs with a better attitude, etc. I'm also seeing a nutritionist next week to see what I can be doing better/differently. She's a triathlete herself and is co-author on nutrition guides for Navy Seals.
Thanks to all of you for the help, support, suggestions, etc. I look forward to reaching my goals in August with your help!
2014-06-16 8:51 AM

User image

New user
Congrats to everyone that finished their first triathlon over the weekend! Sounds like you all had a good time and are thirsty for more. :D

I ran in a local 5k over the weekend. Ran well enough for 5 overall and 2nd in AG. Time was 19:51. Stinking shoelace came untied with 3/4 of a mile to go. I didn't stop to tie it, just dealt with it and felt the laces wacking my legs for that last stretch. Uhg, another reminder to make sure those laces are tied correctly. Happy with my race though. 4 second improvement over last years course so I can't complain too much.

For Father's day I was allowed to pick out some clip on aero bars and went for a ride to test them out. Didn't notice a big improvement speed wise but comfort improved. No more numb hands! Arms aren't used to the position, although in time and practice I hope they get used to it. Now if I can just find time to make it to the pool. Hmmm...

2014-06-16 1:33 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99
Stinking shoelace came untied with 3/4 of a mile to go. I didn't stop to tie it, just dealt with it and felt the laces wacking my legs for that last stretch. Uhg, another reminder to make sure those laces are tied correctly.

Congrats on your race! My shoelaces never stayed tied, so I replaced them all with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWHS7A4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_... ("EZLACES No-tie, High Performance Shoe Lacing System" from Amazon.com, if the link doesn't work.). No fumbling with laces! They'll save you a few seconds in transitions, and they never come untied. They come in cool colors, too, and reflect light at night so you know where your feet are.
2014-06-16 1:51 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by burner2

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99
Stinking shoelace came untied with 3/4 of a mile to go. I didn't stop to tie it, just dealt with it and felt the laces wacking my legs for that last stretch. Uhg, another reminder to make sure those laces are tied correctly.

Congrats on your race! My shoelaces never stayed tied, so I replaced them all with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWHS7A4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_... ("EZLACES No-tie, High Performance Shoe Lacing System" from Amazon.com, if the link doesn't work.). No fumbling with laces! They'll save you a few seconds in transitions, and they never come untied. They come in cool colors, too, and reflect light at night so you know where your feet are.

While I don't like running, I do love my Zoot running shoes. No laces and fits foot like a glove.
2014-06-16 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ok guys, it looks like we have had a lot going on since I last logged in a couple days ago.  (our internet has been sketchy and the guy just came out and got us back up to speed.)  It sounds like we are having some very positive race experiences out there!

First of all, Rodzilla.  There is still room.  

(To all:  I am basically leaving the group open because many have and will join, but there always ends up with a much smaller group that is active.  I don't want to exclude any late comers that can benefit from our experiences and who may become an active and productive member of the group.)

Randy made some great points in response to your question about swimming.  Swimming fitness should improve dramatically after only a few sessions. That doesn't necessarily mean speed.  That will come with lots of volume and emphasis on technique and body positioning.  But basic cardio and muscular fitness should improve enough that you will be swimming longer distances without the need to stop at 50m.  When I started I those first few sessions I often felt like a drowning rat just trying to make it to the wall.  Just stick with it, and it will get better.

Jen,  

Great race report.  I've never had a race where people could stop swimming and stand up and you could run right into them.  Funny to read (I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time though!)  Also love to see the competitive spirit coming out..."Search and Destroy".  Love it!  Glad you beat your goal time.   Good job.  That sounds like a really large race for a super sprint..over 700 participants..wow.  Work on that running and get ready for the next one! 

Scott, 

Nice 5k time.  I wish I was running that fast.  I set a pre-season goal to run under 20 in a 5k coming up in August.  There is no way I am on schedule to make it though.  Under 21 is more realistic at this point.  The speed lace idea Cassandra posted is a worth considering.  I have never used that brand, but have had good luck with the lock-laces brand.  I tried yankz and was not satisfied.  They were just unnecessarily complicated IMO. 

I hope everyone is more motivated than ever now going forward. !!!

MOJO RISING!!!

(mot3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mot3.jpg (28KB - 2 downloads)
2014-06-16 6:20 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

I am by far no expert on swimming, but I know exactly where you are coming from. My very first swim I was exactly where you are, only doing 50m, feeling like the other end of the pool was so far away. After that day, I thought it would take me at least 3 solid months to reach my goal of 600m. Let me say that my only credentials for giving advice are that I was able to increase my distance to 1000m non-stop on just my 7th swim! I don't know if those results are typical, but it was what I was able to achieve on my own with no coaching and no background in swimming.

What I found was that, for me, my swimming technique was more important to performance than in either of the other disciplines. I had a friend tell me that I would really see improvements when I started to "get it" and she was right. I did a lot of online research into learning to swim and breathe with better technique and the results speak for themselves.

In addition to this web site, I found very useful information on www.totalimmersion.net and www.swimsmooth.com. I particularly liked the "Mr. Smooth" app (free) you can download from Swim Smooth. It lets you view an efficient swim stroke from numerous angles and at different speeds. In particular, my swim distance was especially helped by learning to use body rotation to help utilize my larger muscles to propel me through the water for a more efficient stroke. Once I knew that I could comfortably make my event distance, then I could start to focus on improving/fine tuning my technique and increasing my speed.

Well that is encouraging but in only 7 sessions? That would mean this week I would be able to swim 1000yds? Not gunna happen for me . I did do 100yds today but that was a task. A guy told me at the pool today I wasn't breathing enough so that's something more I need to worry about now. I guess I just have to stay the course and keep cracking the whip on myself. It sucks cause I feel I have an above average fitness level with running/bike and my weight training but the swim has humbled me
2014-06-17 7:18 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Rodzilla:
I have a set of swimming workouts I used this winter. I started swimming from scratch in February and it is now my strongest area. I would take these workouts, put them in a ziplock bag and duct tape them to the edge of the pool. I'm happy to share them with you, but I hesitate to list them all here on the forum. Is there another place on this website where I can post them? Or I can email them to you if you like. The workouts use a variety of styles, including backstroke and breast stroke, which, IMO, is helpful for your muscles (help reduce injury by repetitive use), and also for your head (not quite so boring just doing freestyle all day long).
Here is my email address: [email protected]. Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to share the swim workouts with you. Good luck!
Jennifer

2014-06-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

Jen,  

Great race report.  I've never had a race where people could stop swimming and stand up and you could run right into them.  Funny to read (I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time though!)  Also love to see the competitive spirit coming out..."Search and Destroy".  Love it!  Glad you beat your goal time.   Good job.  That sounds like a really large race for a super sprint..over 700 participants..wow.  Work on that running and get ready for the next one! 

Yeah, this event is very popular with first timers or folks that don't swim well and there are a lot of children that participate. I saw several 12-14 year olds, and even a few 7 year olds! I surprised myself with the competitive spirit. That is not how I see myself; I'm the crunchy granola yoga chick who is just out there for the experience, practicing "non-attachment", etc. Shoot....yoga chick got run over by my bicycle! heh, heh, heh!!!
2014-06-17 8:51 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Well that is encouraging but in only 7 sessions? That would mean this week I would be able to swim 1000yds? Not gunna happen for me . I did do 100yds today but that was a task. A guy told me at the pool today I wasn't breathing enough so that's something more I need to worry about now. I guess I just have to stay the course and keep cracking the whip on myself. It sucks cause I feel I have an above average fitness level with running/bike and my weight training but the swim has humbled me

Yes, believe it or not, I was able to achieve that distance on just my 7th swim! According to my notes, it took me about 32:00 to finish. So I wasn't fast by any means, but just calm and steady. At that time, my number one goal was simply increasing distance to make sure I could complete my event. I have gone as long as 1700m and only stopped because of some soreness in my shoulder. In hindsight, I probably pushed too far too quickly (that was only my 10th session!). I have since had to back off and only swim once a week now. But the point was that with the right (efficient) technique, you should fairly easily be able to get up to your race distance of 1/4 mile. The time I spent researching how to build an efficient stroke was well worth it. I know my form is far from perfect, but as a beginner I accept that. It gives me confidence to know it will be plenty good enough to get me out of the water in decent shape. I won't be first, but I certainly won't be last either!
2014-06-17 8:59 AM

User image

Well that is encouraging but in only 7 sessions? That would mean this week I would be able to swim 1000yds? Not gunna happen for me . I did do 100yds today but that was a task. A guy told me at the pool today I wasn't breathing enough so that's something more I need to worry about now.

I went back over my training logs, and it took me probably about three weeks to get to 1000 yards without stopping, swimming probably an average of five times a week. And my starting point was only 40 yards! My swim coach (only one lesson with her as I was already way more advanced than most of the 7-year-olds she coaches) also told me I wasn't breathing enough, and she had me start breathing every other stroke, rather than every third or fourth. That really helped with my distance. After I got more comfortable with it, then I started practicing breathing every third stroke.

I comment on my logs so I can look back and get a better feeling about my training progress than just looking at numbers. I voiced a lot of discouragement and frustration those first couple of weeks (back in mid-April), but now I'm swimming 1000 yards in a lake every day. I'm still not fast, but I know I can swim the distance required for my next tri.

I know it can be discouraging, but if I can do it, anyone can!
2014-06-17 2:58 PM

New user
You can be a great athlete, in great shape, and still feel like you are drowning after one lap in the pool. Swimming is the most technical of the three disciplines, so they tell me, and seems as if it is the biggest challenge for the majority of triathletes. So first, give yourself a break on this and don't expect the same performance level out the gate as your bike/run. Second, and I'm not the fastest but I'm a decent swimmer, breath on every stoke except when you switch sides if you do breath on both sides. Oxygen is your friend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43831 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?