BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-01-06 4:41 AM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Welcome to all the new members. Swim didn't happen yesterday got hung up in morning, then helped a friend do some work on a house which took longer than I thought it would. Today was a planned day off. I will add my goals to the list. I am still planning on the rebel challenge in a few weekends for St. Judes. I made my fund raising goal thanks in no small part to all of you.

3/24

2016-01-06 4:47 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by kjvandermolen
Originally posted by aviatrix802
Originally posted by thor67

1)lose 2lbs2)get 1 swim in3)continue on with the 24/31 s/b/r

Originally posted by Qua17 DQ -1) Lose 2 lbs, 2) PT 5x, 3) Complete workouts for first week of OLY plan, 4) BTx5 days
Doug- 1) lose 2 lbs, 2) 10k yds swimming, 3) 3 runs, 4) bike trainer sessions.

1) PT 5x 2) swim 3 times 3) bike 3 times 4) run twice 5) finish both flight students to wrap up their training
1) Lose 2 pounds 2) Work out of 30 min or longer 6x this week 3) Log all food 4) not get laid off...(lol...little out of my hands but that is a goal for this week) And beer is TBD....but just might be a Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard....

My goals for the week:

1) Lose 2 lbs from 187 to 185
2) Take the dog running 3 times
3) Get on the trainer 2 times

So far I'm 1/24 on the month, and I will take the dog running tomorrow morning, even if it's cold and dark and I want to stay in bed.

-Dennis

I'm planning a pre-dawn run tomorrow morning as well - it's not MA cold, but it's supposed to be right at freezing here in ATX.  

4 days into 2016 and 5 workouts.  A tough, long swim set at lunch today followed by a trainer session after dinner.

goal 1) get a workout in on work days (means getting up between 0200-0230). 2) get in the POOL! 3) figure out how I am going to work my training plan for the season, (with new position I no longer get the hour to workout on duty)
2016-01-06 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5159442

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did a swim last night so 3/24.

2AM wake up calls? You're making me feel like a wuss for not wanting to do 6AM masters!
2016-01-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2am...ouch and this was a promotion?? 

Great job!

Originally posted by b2b14

goal 1) get a workout in on work days (means getting up between 0200-0230). 2) get in the POOL! 3) figure out how I am going to work my training plan for the season, (with new position I no longer get the hour to workout on duty)

2016-01-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: #5159719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh- I also corralled co-workers into a 3-12 St. Paddy's day 5k. So now I need to start running!
2016-01-06 8:14 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

You and me both!

Went to doc yesterday. Said I had plantar fasciitis. Bailed on my workout this morning. Back at it tomorrow.

Sitting at 7/31.

Hit my one swim goal now all I need it the weight loss and consistency...

Happy Hump day everyone!

Originally posted by Moonrocket I did a swim last night so 3/24. 2AM wake up calls? You're making me feel like a wuss for not wanting to do 6AM masters!

2016-01-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I've done a lot of crazy things to get in a workout, but I never even considered getting up at 2am for one! Kudos!

Still enjoying my pre-semester flexibility and getting workouts in around some general prep for the semester. Last night after going home I hopped on the trainer for a while (#6) and then this morning I hit the pool for a nice 2200 yds (#7). Plan is a run followed by yoga after work this afternoon. Was supposed to do that run this morning, but 19F wasn't tempting me at all. Should hit the lower 40s this afternoon here, so that seems like a much better time to run!

Food tracking is still on the mark (day 3!!)--I find it tedious, but it really does help with weight loss.
2016-01-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove I've done a lot of crazy things to get in a workout, but I never even considered getting up at 2am for one! Kudos! Still enjoying my pre-semester flexibility and getting workouts in around some general prep for the semester. Last night after going home I hopped on the trainer for a while (#6) and then this morning I hit the pool for a nice 2200 yds (#7). Plan is a run followed by yoga after work this afternoon. Was supposed to do that run this morning, but 19F wasn't tempting me at all. Should hit the lower 40s this afternoon here, so that seems like a much better time to run! Food tracking is still on the mark (day 3!!)--I find it tedious, but it really does help with weight loss.
Sounds like you are doing great, Gretchen!

2016-01-06 1:31 PM

User image

7/24 with today's Noon swim.  I'm going to start a new series on Netflix and only allow myself to watch it while on the bike trainer - I hope to get to the first episode tonight.

2016-01-06 2:05 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Wow, now I feel super lazy for bailing on my 6 am run yesterday. Though in my defense, it was 9 degrees at the time.

I didn't have to go into work early today though, so I managed to get in a short run with the pooch, plus a trainer session last night. I'm 3/24 for the month, and making steady progress on all three of my goals for the week.

2016-01-06 2:06 PM

User image

Thor- hate to hear you are battling PF still. Hope if clears up soon!

Gretchen- You are the most consistent person I have seen. Way to keep it up

Doug- I did the same thing with SOA last year.

Yes I was promoted but moved from the team to patrol thus the schedule change and loss of workout time. My hours are 5-5 so to get a 1:30 bike ride and have time to shower get dressed and drive to work it will be getting up at 0200. The good news is that on nights I get off at 0500 so the sun wont be up yet making it easier to sleep. I plan on not working out on 2 consecutive day shift work days and no 2 a days on working day shifts. training for a halves not a full will also help. I may also try to lift on working days so I can have caffeine before I workout. I am very sensitive to it and my HR will sky rocket.

2016-01-06 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

We are on to something:  How to stick to your exercise resolution: Drink Beer

ETA:  I can't imagine doing the beer mile, though.  I prefer rides and races that end with beer.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-01-06 3:49 PM
2016-01-06 3:50 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17 Have you thought about signing up for the Season Opener Tri in Hopkington. It's fantastic. Hopefully we can do one together.

In the past the Season Opener has been on Mother's Day, and that's a no-go in my house. My wife is supportive, but not that supportive. But it looks like they're not the same weekend this year, so I'll have to give it a closer look. I've done Boston and Nantasket every year since I started racing, plus Falmouth (awesome race), Buzzard's Bay, Hero Cape Cod, and Cohasset. We just moved from Quincy to Wakefield though, so I'm in the market for some venues that aren't quite so far south.

-Dennis

Not on Mothers Day... I've had to have a mother's day weekend to make up for racing on Mother's Day. However - my beautiful bride did let me race on mother's day so maybe I should keep up the weekend! :_

How about this race - the summer solstice in Sutton. http://www.trifind.com/re_164231/SummerSolsticeSpringTriathlon.html Great venue!
2016-01-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kjvandermolen

Workout 3/24 - 40 min bike (stationary) for 12.07 miles for just a hair over 18 mph pace.

Hope that for all of y'all that it was your first day back to work after the holiday that it wasn't too bad.......

Damn Kyle - You are crushing it!
2016-01-06 3:55 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

First off welcome new and old faces!

Second, great to see everyone jumping on the challenge!

Jenn, popcorn ceiling removal...that is nasty! consider that a workout!! :-)

Kate, I am not sure the fat % is worth it. Take body measurements and pics. Use the same scale consistenly and you should be okay.

I would splurge for a good fat% test like a submersion type where you get dunked in the water if you really want to know. In the end the only one that needs to be happy is you.

I finally put together a swim last night. My wife was working so I took my daughter swimming before hockey practice. she played and I swam laps...ouch. First real swim in about 5 months. Not pretty to say the least.

Also stepped on the scale for the first time...yeah I know I am tracking but I just guessed my weight....Let's just say I was a bit optimistic with my guess. Good news I can eat more...bad news, I can eat more.

Finally, I have a damn pain in the outside arch of my foot. It is a recurring injury. I may go to the damn Dr. to figure it out once and for all. Missed spin class this morning.

I wouldn't wish PF on my worst enemy (even though I might be tempted) Sorry to hear you are on the struggle bus with something so painful!

Nice work on the swim. You might want to join me for some aQUA jogging. I swear by it!
2016-01-06 3:57 PM

User image

Expert

7/24 with today's Noon swim.  I'm going to start a new series on Netflix and only allow myself to watch it while on the bike trainer - I hope to get to the first episode tonight.

Doug - what are you going to watch. Ever watched the new Battlestar Galactica series. It's awesome!

I love the idea of only watching it on the trainer - great idea!

2016-01-06 4:01 PM

User image

Expert

Wow, now I feel super lazy for bailing on my 6 am run yesterday. Though in my defense, it was 9 degrees at the time.

I didn't have to go into work early today though, so I managed to get in a short run with the pooch, plus a trainer session last night. I'm 3/24 for the month, and making steady progress on all three of my goals for the week.

It can be done. The founder of this group (Big DH) won the BT cold weather exercise challenge 3 years in a row and I have followed his lead. Wear enough crap and it can be done.

(IMG_0398.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0398.JPG (1722KB - 6 downloads)
2016-01-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Today is Wednesday, which is the time of the week when we do Question of the Day. Feel free to always ask any question you have any time you want - but I always like to post something to spark a little discussion and to better support each other.

Here is this weeks question: What do you wish you had done/known when you were just starting out?
2016-01-06 9:06 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
5/24 - 3.10 mile run 33:10 for a 10:43 pace

While I am enjoying the mild weather we are having...nothing good can come of this....lol.

2016-01-06 9:07 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Originally posted by Qua17

Today is Wednesday, which is the time of the week when we do Question of the Day. Feel free to always ask any question you have any time you want - but I always like to post something to spark a little discussion and to better support each other.

Here is this weeks question: What do you wish you had done/known when you were just starting out?

I am just starting out....lol
2016-01-06 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
No workout tonight. Low water pressure when we got home from work turned out to be a burst pipe in our garage. Which wasn't so bad until we discovered water all over the basement floor. No shopvac = wringing out towels by hand, over and over.
I'll post my answer to the question of the week after I console myself with a beer.

2016-01-06 10:59 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Qua17 Here is this weeks question: What do you wish you had done/known when you were just starting out?

I've got two:

1. You don't need as much stuff at transition as you think you do. I used to bring so much with me, and then I did a few races where transition was a couple miles from the parking lot, and you had to ride between the two with all your gear. You really learn to minimize when you have to carry it on your back.
  2. When you read not to do too much, too fast, LISTEN! My first year racing I couldn't finish a 5k without walk breaks. My second year I decided it would be a good idea to train for a 10 mi trail race, and did so by increasing only my long runs and leaving the rest of my sessions as if I were still aiming for a 5k. No surprise, a few months in my knees got really grumpy. I took about a month off before finding out I was off the wait list for a local sprint that typically sells out the first day of registration. Not being one to turn up an opportunity like that, I paid my entry fee and a mile into the run my knees were killing me. I limped to the finish, spent the rest of the season doing relays, and 5 years later they still hurt if I try to ramp up too quickly after a break.
2016-01-06 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That sucks Dennis! I have two shop vacs you can borrow in Colorado.

Hmm things I wish I had known/ done sooner

I wish I had bought a more flexible wetsuit. Mine is fine but I went super cheap and it's hard to justify replacing something that's not broken. I really like OWS and would love a less stiff suit.

Ordering a road bike off the internet and riding it once before my first sprint was a sketchy at best decision- having never been on a road bike. Not loc-titeing the bolts on my clip on aero bars is another related lesson!

Waiting too long to start especially Xterras which are a blast is the biggest one though. You learn a lot from just getting out there and racing and Mtn biking is a ton of fun!

I always accomplish more when I sign up for a race and have a goal (even if accomplish for me is just working out, having fun and staying fit.)
2016-01-07 5:33 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Kyle - starting out is the perfect time to ask any questions. it can seem overwhelming but trust me there is a lot of knowledge here.

Dennis - sorry to hear about the burst pipe. Never fun to deal with that

Kate- I am hoping this year I can borrow some of your passion for OWS!

Got in my bike ride this morning was planning for 45 but only had time for 35. Walked into work at 458 for a 0500 start time. Guess I am at 4/24. Planning on my swim tomorrow along with weights then a brick sat. I start Night shift Monday which will make it easier to get my workouts in.
2016-01-07 5:34 AM

User image

Expert

No workout tonight. Low water pressure when we got home from work turned out to be a burst pipe in our garage. Which wasn't so bad until we discovered water all over the basement floor. No shopvac = wringing out towels by hand, over and over.
I'll post my answer to the question of the week after I console myself with a beer.

Well that totally blows! Hope it didn't take all night to clean up. Bet that beer tasted good!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6624 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 18752 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.