BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-25 10:10 PM
in reply to: #632158

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: KathyG's group- Full

Wow ... lots of good conversation since I last checked this forum.  Welcome to Lauren, Julie, and Jaclyn.  It sounds like you have all been pretty active prior to making the decision to do a tri ... that should make the transition fairly easy.  I think you'll enjoy our group ... we have a great mentor who keeps us grounded and we have lots of fun.

My exciting news today is that I finally purchased my first road bike ... a Specialized Ruby Expert.  I'll try and post some pictures this weekend ... she is a beauty.  She's parked in the dining room right now and I'm just a little intimidated by her presence ... we will definitely be spending some quality time together when the roads clear up ... can you believe they are predicting snow for the 6th weekend in a row.

2007-01-26 1:16 AM

That's great news about your bike Becky-one step closer to becoming the best triathlete you can be! I have great news myself in regards to my journey of becoming the best triathlete I can be, I have signed up for my first tri (in June) and several 5k's and one 10k to get me ready. I'm a little intimidated by the running since it's not my favorite thing to do but I'm feeling infused with excitement after reading everybody elses excitement about their own progess. I realized I didn't give very much info about myself and I feel like I'm getting to know all you gals even more every day, so let me "formally" introduce myself! I'm Julie, I just turned 35 and decided this is the year to make a change! I have 2 kids (2 and 4) and I am a stay at home mom. I have never totally lost the weight from my wonderful children and thought, this might be the thing to shed those extra (and I mean EXTRA) pounds I don't want OR need! Oh and I live in Portland, OR. I have a list of things I want to do before I die and now I've started checking them off, so far I just graduated (well, last May) with my Masters in Education (I was a teacher before kids) and then I just got my certification to be a scuba diver and now this, I want to reach the goal of finishing a triathlon-AND if I like it, then I will set a new goal of actually having a decent finishing time. So there's me in a nutshell so to speak!

Thank you everybody for your encouragements and for sharing all your experiences for us newbies!
2007-01-26 6:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
I'd still like to know how to cross off goals on my blog. Can someone tell me how to do it?????

Thanks
2007-01-26 6:09 AM
in reply to: #668615

User image

Extreme Veteran
There's an icon in the top row of the posting field, next to the B for bold, I for italics, and U for underline... the ABC with the line through it is the "strike" button, use it in the same way you'd use B, I, or U
2007-01-26 6:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Aha! Thanks
2007-01-26 6:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
You know what....I just checked and I don't have those features. It's probably because I get this for free, so I don't have any extra features. I thought that might be the case, but I was hoping it wasn't.

Thanks anyway

2007-01-26 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Becky congrats on the new bike!

Glad she is in the diningo room ready to be ridden. Do you have a trainer you could start riding her now? What kind of pedals did you get? Love to see the pictures when you have time.

I think we set a record 3 new bikes in our group in last three weeks!!!

Julie...great news that  signed up for your first tri!! How far are each of the distances? Very wise to sign up for some 5K's as well. Going to be a great year for you...Master and scuba last year and this year you'll be a Triathlete!!

2007-01-26 8:15 AM
in reply to: #668620

User image

Extreme Veteran

Shannon - it shouldn't matter if you're a free user or not - I'm free now too, and I have it.  When you go to type, there are a whole mess of icons you can use to modify the look of the text (they're html coding shortcuts, really) - so whenever you reply to a post, add to your training "blog," or configure the look of your training log page, you should be able to use those icons.  If you have bold, you have strike and lots of fun colors also!

And YAY Becky!! for your new bike!!  Mine is in the family room, and I haven't ridden it yet either - but I did hug it yesterday   I will try to take pictures this weekend so you all can see how beautiful and citrusy she is

Edited by maxpixie 2007-01-26 8:18 AM
2007-01-26 8:31 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Shannon ... one more thing you can try to get the overstrike to work ... The top left of the screen has the Beginner Triathlete.com logo ... just under that is the box labeled Home-Control Panel-Help.  Click on Control Panel ... scroll down a little and make sure the field for "Use rich edit box when composing messages" is "Yes" ... hopefully that will work.
2007-01-26 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Thank you ladies!! My rich text editor was on "no" so I switched it to yes (I wrote that just to have something to cross out). I'm happy

I'm so envious that you guys have new bikes!!  I'm going to stick with my Sears Kodiak trail bike that I bought 12 years ago, for now   Money is tight since we're going on our first ever vacation next month.  I finally convinced my husband to take time off....he usually appeases me with long weekends.

I can't wait to see pictures too!

Edited by Shannon3 2007-01-26 8:44 AM
2007-01-26 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Wow, I'm so envious of the bikes!! I have a nice bike, but it was purchased for biking up and down the lakeshore when I lived in Chicago. I think its some kind of hybrid from Trek. Its very comfy (got the gel seat), but I don't have a clue if it is even sort of appropriate for a triathalon.... I do know that it will have to work for this year because I'm a student and I don't think my husband is going to appreciate adding the price of a new bike (when I already have one) to my tuition bills.

Okay, off to the pool,
jaclyn

2007-01-26 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Um, I guess I'm even slower than the rest of you.. how do I list goals?? I've figured out how to write race reports... but not goals, and yours look so fun!! Help, please!
cheers,
jaclyn

edited to say: DUH, Okay, I get it.

Edited by sushigirl 2007-01-26 2:35 PM
2007-01-26 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Wow! All the new bikes, I can add one to that list too! I purchased a bike about 2-3 weeks ago. Cannondale Synapse Fem Carb 3 -  Blue, black & white. I can't wait to ride.  I would like to get a trainer, but  I have to be careful though and find a quiet one. I live in a condo on the 3rd floor & I'm sure my neighbors won't be too happy about me riding above them! Oh well! Smile

Becky congrats on the bike!! Yay!

2007-01-26 4:16 PM

User image

, North Carolina

Hey Jaclyn ... on the bikes ... my daughter did her first season of triathlons on a hybrid and I've heard of others who have used their mountain bikes.  I had not been on a bike in a gazillion years so I started my training on her hand me down hybrid ... so I think you'll be okay on the bike.  She's also a grad student on a very limited budget and it amazes me what she's been able to accomplish ... she's doing her first HIM on a road bike because she doesn't have a tri bike yet.

And a funny coincidence ... she lives in Chicago and does much of her riding along the Lake Front too!

Edited by rmarzano 2007-01-26 4:23 PM
2007-01-26 7:13 PM
in reply to: #669313

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Jaclyn. I did my first tri on a mountain bike and switched out the tires to a street tire that fit the bike (hybrid). A LOT of people use their mountain bike. For the first or second tri, it's fine. If you feel like this is something you always want to pursue, then I would get a road bike. I personally fell in love with this sport and I plan on doing a lot of bike riding (my family rides long distances - so now I can join in - one of my long time goals). You'll be fine! Good luck!
2007-01-26 7:35 PM
in reply to: #669423

That was going to be one of my next questions, I have a bike ( I don't think of it as a "mountain" bike) more like a street bike that I use sometimes to pull the stroller with my kiddos in so is this okay for a tri or do I need to switch out the tires, seat or what? Also, in terms of gear, (somebody might have already answered this-so forgive me if it's a repeat) but what do you wear out of the water to ride your bike and run in? I am not quite comfortable with the shape of my body right now so I'm not quite open to wearing just a sports bra..comments, suggestions??

2007-01-26 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Hey, thank you ladies for the feedback on my bike. I figured it would be okay- certainly for my very first time. Though I sure wouldn't mind upgrading someday!!

Here's another question to add on to the above apparel questions: I need a fairly supportive sports bra to run in. I know for sure that running in a swimming suit is NOT going to work for me. What's a girl to do? Am I supposed to swim in my sports bra, underneath my suit? This question has been keeping me up at night, LOL!

Actually, I'm concerned about my indoor tri, next weekend too- we get a ten minute transition time to move from the pool to the stationary bikes to the treadmill.... should I expect to be able to change into dry clothes (and a sports bra) for that, or not? I can't imagine they want me dripping all over their equipment...

its all this little stuff that's making me anxious... I'm a heck of a lot more certain that I can do the athletic part of the event!!
2007-01-26 11:45 PM
in reply to: #669495

User image

Champion
MA

sushigirl - 2007-01-26 11:46 PM Hey, thank you ladies for the feedback on my bike. I figured it would be okay- certainly for my very first time. Though I sure wouldn't mind upgrading someday!! Here's another question to add on to the above apparel questions: I need a fairly supportive sports bra to run in. I know for sure that running in a swimming suit is NOT going to work for me. What's a girl to do? Am I supposed to swim in my sports bra, underneath my suit? This question has been keeping me up at night, LOL! ..

Yep swim in your sports bra with whatever you are wearing over it for a regular tri. Most folks wear either a tri suit or tri shorts and tri top..or if you are more budget minded just a swim suit and pull on some shorts after the swim. A good sports bra out of wicking material is best as it can stay wet for a long while. I love Moving Comfort Sports Bra Fiona in a DD and it isn't to big like a corset some are, no uni-boob look, and it dries/wicks pretty well. I have about 8 of them as I use 2 a day most days with 2 workouts a day.

Some women who are less endowed can just wear a tri top or tri suit with build in bra..no way that would work for me.

Regarding your indoor tri. How long does it take you to change? I'd change into other clothes 10 minutes is a lot of time. In a tri my transtion times are less than 2 minutes most of the time for T1 without changing but often lots of running to your bike and out of transition area.

Actually, I'm concerned about my indoor tri, next weekend too- we get a ten minute transition time to move from the pool to the stationary bikes to the treadmill.... should I expect to be able to change into dry clothes (and a sports bra) for that, or not? I can't imagine they want me dripping all over their equipment... its all this little stuff that's making me anxious... I'm a heck of a lot more certain that I can do the athletic part of the event!!

2007-01-27 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Okay, thanks Kathy.... I'm glad I'm not the only endowed triathelete wannabe!!    I will have to go shopping for a new sports bra... I love the ones I use (the Frogbra one from Title 9- it makes me feel like I have NO chest), but I don't think it will work wet. 

cheers!

2007-01-27 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The trainer is here, the kid is napping, all that's left to do is post this picture, get in my gear and get spinning!

2007-01-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #669815

That is one sweet looking bike!

2007-01-27 5:15 PM

User image

, North Carolina

I posted pictures of my new bike in my album ... just click on "Album" below this message and it will take you there.  I probably don't need to say that I named her Ruby.  According to Specialized she was built for the woman who wants to ride like hell ... I'll do my best not to disappoint her!

Christine ... I just checked out your album and the new yellow bike fits you perfectly with your love for the sun ... and it goes so well with your tatoo!  I love the family pictures ... that is one good lookin' little guy you've got ... the picture of him holding the big sign to cheer you on at the Danskin is precious ...

2007-01-27 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Cool pictures!!!  I love your snowy race picture- you look like you're having a blast.  And the bike looks awesome (not that I know a thing about bikes, but it looks COOL). 

2007-01-28 9:12 AM
in reply to: #669896

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Becky!  Ruby is very pretty herself - she looks FAST   I'm glad you finally found her, and I know you won't disappoint!

Thanks for the compliments on my little guy too - he's the best motivation there is.  Someone gave him a cowbell at Danskin, when he rings it as I go by in races, it's better than any Gu

2007-01-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: #669815

User image

Regular
Studio City

Yay!Smile She's a bute! I can't wait to ride together, we'll have fun!. Let me know how you like the trainer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  

of 11