Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-22 1:47 PM
in reply to: #662639

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Alta's Group - FULL
Congrats on your great run!!!! Even better that you had so much fun!!! Good for you.

2007-01-22 2:07 PM
in reply to: #639509

User image

Andrews AFB
Hi guys! I've only had time to read messages in the past two weeks but I'm here and don't want to get out of the loop! Meanwhile, training is going great...I did a weigh in and have lost 5 lbs. so far...yea!!! But more than that, I can all ready tell a very tiny difference in how I feel during and after the workouts...still a long way to go but definitely encouraging And TONIGHT! I had the absolute best reward for a workout!!! I went to the gym and then on my way back home I stopped by some shops and when I was coming out of one who do I make eye contact with on the street but Colin Firth!!!! I LOVE HIM! Since I've been over here he's been the only person I really wanted to see...queen schmeen...give me Mr.Darcy any day! hee hee...it was GREAT! As if I weren't all ready on an endorphin workout high, there was THIS! hee hee I'm still a little giddy! lol Hope everybody is having a terrific afternoon!
2007-01-22 3:10 PM

User image

Western North Carolina
Well I could feel it coming, but had no idea what it was until now. I definitely have an ITBS... I found the symptoms on the medical forum after my light run today. It'll be the last one for a while. I just ordered a foam roller, started icing, and cleaned my chain. I'll be spending some time on the bike.
2007-01-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: #663721

User image

Grafton, WI

frsully - 2007-01-22 3:10 PM Well I could feel it coming, but had no idea what it was until now. I definitely have an ITBS... I found the symptoms on the medical forum after my light run today. It'll be the last one for a while. I just ordered a foam roller, started icing, and cleaned my chain. I'll be spending some time on the bike.

It is you and I....I'm guessing IT band strain?  I'm doing therapy, roller, ice heat and I've heard ART is really good if I can find a good therapist in the area.  Best of luck.  I haven't run since my race last weekend, but swimming and biking felt ok this week.  Grrrr.....

2007-01-22 6:52 PM

User image

Western North Carolina
trYgrl,
It was actually your "inspire me" comments that made me wonder. I thought I had strained something, then Saturday it slowly moved from my upper knee to my hip. Of course, one of the worst things to do is run hills. Hopefully, I just over-trained (and not some of the more ominous reasons -- read the medical forum if you want a scare).

2007-01-22 7:46 PM
in reply to: #664026

User image

Grafton, WI

Fantastic!  If I wasn't nervous after talking to my Tri group this weekend.  Man, first it is a quiz in class tonight, now it is this....should I be studying right now? Well we are suppose to be working in our groups, I'd rather be doing this, but suppose I'm paying out of my behind for this...better go get smarter?

2007-01-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: #663575

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

And TONIGHT! I had the absolute best reward for a workout!!! I went to the gym and then on my way back home I stopped by some shops and when I was coming out of one who do I make eye contact with on the street but Colin Firth!!!! I LOVE HIM!

OMG... I love him, too.  You're so lucky.  I would've been star-gazed for sure.  I wish he lived in my neck of the woods.

2007-01-22 10:23 PM

Regular
I think everyone who is addicted to triathlon dreams of doing an Ironman but is Subconsciously training for Kona!

Greg
2007-01-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: #661334

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Thanks for the info. I am actually doing the all of the workouts for the week, just flip flopping the Thursday and Friday trainings for the sake of work schedule. I am going to give it a few weeks and see how it feels. So far so good.

Nursing some shin splints this week from my run on Friday. Running is the hardest for me and I was so gung ho to improve I pushed too hard with not enough warm up. Learned my lesson!
2007-01-23 1:35 PM
in reply to: #664233

User image

Grafton, WI

sandyigood - 2007-01-22 10:23 PM I think everyone who is addicted to triathlon dreams of doing an Ironman but is Subconsciously training for Kona! Greg

Ok Greg.....I can honestly say I'd dream of doing an Ironman and maybe even Kona someday.....but am I training for it?  Maybe in baby steps.  I just dream....

2007-01-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #663575

New user

Hi everyone!

I have also only had time to read posts in the past couple of weeks, but have enjoyed hearing about all your training. I have been concentrating on bike training, but one of these days need to head out the door for a run (this is easier said that done now that winter has finally arrived in Toronto - not much snow but a little icy and windchill of -10c).

Wow, I think Colin Firth is fantastic as well! Is he tall or one of those tiny actors? It sounds as though you are doing really well with training, too!

Also to frsully, great job on the 10k. That's an amazing time for uphill running. Take care with the ITB strain. Did you hear/feel anything during the run or just afterwards? When I had that, I could definitely feel it by the end of the run. Also, when I pulled my psoas, I heard a pop and could feel it right away. Both times it took several weeks to recover, although I was still able to run my first marathon 2 months after the psoas pull. Hopefully, it will go away with some days rest and alot of ice.

Take care everyone,

Kathy

2007-01-24 10:03 AM

User image

Western North Carolina
Kallen, No pop, or clicking. It has been a slow tightening. I just got a massage yesterday and she worked out a couple of "knots" near the ITband. Still sore. I am going to stay off it for another couple of days and then work back to cycling only.

How was your run?
2007-01-24 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
be sure do do some stretches for the ITB and piriformus, that will help keep it at bay. Also, are you OK with bike fit, since that can aggravate an ITB too. Seat height can impact ITB issues.
2007-01-24 11:20 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
Man oh man, thanks for all the advice on IT Band care.  I took it easy for a week and a half, I did swim and biked easy and last night I attempted the run.  Needless to say it took me longer to get ready for the run that I was looking forward to then to actually run.  I took two step, so painful I couldn't take any more. I sulked my way back and made the dreaded call to the P.T.  So, I'll continue to ice, do some stretches, ice, ice, and well, keep craving that run that I want to do with the sun beating down on my face.  On a different note, the pool workout this morning felt a welcome relief to the no workout yesterday.  However will I get there?   
2007-01-24 3:31 PM

User image

Western North Carolina
Search ITBS is the forums and you will find a TON of info.

Working on core... anyone have any interesting exercises? Saw one yesterday on FitTv -- Plank position, then alternate dipping each hip. OUCH!
2007-01-24 3:45 PM

side planks are real good too. stay in a side plank position and then lower your hip, then back up. Also, in a side plank position rotate your upper body down to the floor, then back up. I've learned that in a few ab classes at my gym.

2007-01-24 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Supermans on or off the fitball are good for core and not quite as difficult as planks (at least as far as I'm concerned)

On floor, lay on stomach with head in line with spine. Stretch out arms and legs and lift them off the floor and hold for 5 seconds per rep.

To change the exercise to do it on the fitball, you lay across the fitball and instead of lifting all 4 limbs at once, you lift opposite arm and leg one ata time. My chiropractor especially recommend these for anyone who has trouble with low back pain. (like me!)

Aso for anyone who may just be starting core work, sitting on the fitball lift your knee to your chest and try to remain absolutely still and level on the ball. Doesn't hurt, but you realize your weakness when you start sliding off the ball to one side or the other. LOL
2007-01-26 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Hey everyone.
So I have been gone for a few days for my Grandma's funeral. She was 97 - tough lady!
I managed to squeeze in a short cycling work out (I needed the stress relief) but I am curious if I should try to squeeze in a swim today to make up for the one I missed yesterday? I am also supposed to run today. I really want to stay on track because I am committed to this training program, but I am also exhausted from the past few days. Push through it or sleep through it?

Any thoughts? Thanks. jt

Edited by judytag 2007-01-26 12:24 PM
2007-01-26 1:50 PM
in reply to: #669064

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Do whatever feels good to you.  Don't get caught up in the "I was supposed to have done this many workouts by now" rut.  It will take the fun out of your training.  Start with your spin class and then if you are feeling good try to swim or run. I wouldn't do both.  Very sorry to hear about your Grams.  When my Grams passed away, it hurt like hell.  I figure if I am one sixteenth of the woman she was, I will be awesome.  Have a good day.  Julie
2007-01-26 2:21 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
So...I went to my first P.T. appt. and I have to say this guy is amazing!  I wish I would have switched over for my rehab of my shoulder when my orthopod suggested him to make the gains I wanted.  Well, it seems like he will solve my IT band issue along with my weaknesses, biomechanics and perhaps the back, feet and knee issues I have dealt with over the last six years.  My suggestion to everyone is don't settle for mediocrity, go for the gold when you are looking for answers!  Great Spin workout last night too, I think I was just so pumped to find answers....
2007-01-26 8:14 PM

Hey JT:

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Please accept my condolences to you and your family. Hey, sleep - rest (if you are tired) - listen to your body. Make up the workouts by doing real good quality sessions next time out.
-C

2007-01-27 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
judytag - 2007-01-26 12:21 PM

Hey everyone.
So I have been gone for a few days for my Grandma's funeral. She was 97 - tough lady!
I managed to squeeze in a short cycling work out (I needed the stress relief) but I am curious if I should try to squeeze in a swim today to make up for the one I missed yesterday? I am also supposed to run today. I really want to stay on track because I am committed to this training program, but I am also exhausted from the past few days. Push through it or sleep through it?

Any thoughts? Thanks. jt

Condolences on your loss. If you feel up to it, go for the workouts, it can help your mind more than your body sometimes. Dont worry about making up missed workouts--just move on and keep to the program going forward.
2007-01-28 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Thanks to everyone for the condolences. I really appreciate it. I managed to squeeze in a short run Friday and then slept all day Saturday. Clearly my body wanted a big, fat nap. I will ride on the trainer in the garage today, SoCal is finally getting some much needed rain.

I know that many of the tri's in my area fill up fast and I want to try and plan ahead. How long would you recommend waitng after a triathlon before doing another?
2007-01-28 4:31 PM

User image

Western North Carolina
Judytag, Sorry to hear about Grandma... Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Despite the tris filling fast. I would wait until race day to sign up for the B and C races --- just in case you are not up to it.

Anyone else feeling the blues -- man -- the weather outside, nursing the injury, etc -- bringing me DOWN. Any advice in fighting off this off?
2007-01-28 7:43 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
frsully-- check out my inspiration link on my home page.  This came across this weekend and really opened my eyes and put things into perpective.  I hear ya on the injury thing, can you bike and swim?  I've been itching to run, but I can't it is too painful.  I've had some tough workouts besides and I'm afraid this is really setting me back for the HIM.  Think what you can do, not what you can't.   Hang in there. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alta's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11