of 11

2007-04-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: #639509

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Subject: RE: Alta's Group - FULL
Hi everyone!

I am packing my bag and getting ready for the first tri! Woo hoo!

Can't believe that it is finally here. Of course I am fighting off my husband's cold right now, but nothing will keep me from myrace tomorrow. I am just drinking tons of water. It's nothing too bad, but I was hoping to dodge this bullet until at least Monday.

THANK YOU to everyone for your support! I will report back how I did as soon as I get a chance. I may be asleep early tomorrow, but I'll fill ya in by Monday.

Thanks again everyone!!

Judy

2007-04-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #761413

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Judy, hope it went great for you.  Your race high should last a couple of days.  Good way to get you through the new job stress.  Have a great week everyone.  Julie
2007-04-15 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Well my friends... I am officially a triathlete!

I don't have my individual event times but I finished in 2:05:07. The key word in that sentence is "finished." Woo hoo!!

We had big surf to contend with on the way out to the first buoy. There were three rescues that had to be made before my wave started! It was a little unsettling, but I actually ended up having a great swim. I was calm and even passed quite a few people. The bike was a struggle, nothing like my training ride. The main portion of the 16 miles was straight in to a very strong head wind. The gusts were (someone said) 20-25mph. It was like riding in a wind tunnel for 10 miles! My legs were really tired after that so I know my run wasn't as fast as I had hoped, but it felt GREAT to cross that finish line. My husband, sister and Dad were there to cheer me on. And of course I had all of you with me too!

It was a great day!

Thanks again for all of your support everyone. Now I am going to take a nap.

Judy

2007-04-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: #762081

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Congrats, Judy.  You did awesome.  Enjoy the post race high.  Have a great week, take it easy and then do it all again.  Julie
2007-04-16 7:04 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
Way to go Judy!  A well deserved nap, and a big pat on the back...enjoy the "victory"!
2007-04-16 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome! Great job....so when's the next one??"?

2007-04-17 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Thanks for the virtual pats on the back everybody. It feels great to have done it and I was not half as sore as I thought I would be. Must have been all that hard work I put in before hand!

These are my official times:
24:48 swim (.5mi)
1:11:10 bike (17mi)
28:47 run (3mi)

Overall
336/504 2:04:43 total time

I laughed when I saw the run time because I would have sworn that I was running for at least 45 minutes - it felt like it took forever! Thanks goodness for adrenaline.

I am planning on doing the Santa Barbara Sprint in August as part of a fundraiser for my mom's office. It's really short (.25mi/6mi/2mi) so I am trying to lure my sister into doing it too. That would be fun. I have plans for another Sprint in September for sure, but if I find something fun in June or July I may be game for that too.

Happy training everyone. Can't wait to hear about your races!
2007-04-20 9:20 AM

User image

Western North Carolina
IM BACK! Sort of... I have been in PT for the IT Band strain I got back in late January. It is definitely improving. I have been doing short 1 to 1.5 runs and a few training rides mostly to warm up for deep stretching. I finally got the okay to go for my regular 12 mile ride last week and I did my regular 3 mile running course yesterday! It's a little sore, but all the new stretches and exercises ought to pull me through (fingers crossed).

I don't know who is happier, me or my dog.
2007-04-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: #769783

User image

Grafton, WI

frsully - 2007-04-20 9:20 AM IM BACK! Sort of... I have been in PT for the IT Band strain I got back in late January. It is definitely improving. I have been doing short 1 to 1.5 runs and a few training rides mostly to warm up for deep stretching. I finally got the okay to go for my regular 12 mile ride last week and I did my regular 3 mile running course yesterday! It's a little sore, but all the new stretches and exercises ought to pull me through (fingers crossed). I don't know who is happier, me or my dog.

I know how you feel.  When I was able to do 30 min. and 5 miles on the bike the other night you would have thought I won the tour de france!  It is far from my 20 mph pace, but it is longer than i have been on for awhile.  I'm still waiting on the running, but will be going back in 2 weeks if it continues to check into IT band surgery.....Take it easy, don't set yourself back by jumping back too quickly.  Happy foam rolling!

2007-04-22 8:18 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Well, I had my 5k yesterday and smashed my old time by 2:56.  Woo hoo.  I came in at 30:02, so of course I am saying to myself, "if only I could have been three seconds faster to beat 30 minutes".  But I came in 5th in my age group and now I have a new goal of beating 30 minutes.  Have a great day everyone.  It is gorgeous here finally.  Yea!!!  Julie
2007-04-22 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Julie: Congrats on the 5K time!!!! That is awesome!

I just got back from my trip to Dallas; I was so sick the whole time and I'm still not 100%. I get back to training tomorrow. I feel bad for losing so much time, but I guess you can only do what you can do, right?

I hope everyone else is doing well and getting ready for those spring races!!!!

2007-04-23 7:43 AM
in reply to: #770193

User image

Western North Carolina
trYgrl - 2007-04-20 12:00 PM

I know how you feel.  When I was able to do 30 min. and 5 miles on the bike the other night you would have thought I won the tour de france!  It is far from my 20 mph pace, but it is longer than i have been on for awhile.  I'm still waiting on the running, but will be going back in 2 weeks if it continues to check into IT band surgery.....Take it easy, don't set yourself back by jumping back too quickly.  Happy foam rolling!

Thanks, for the advice. I have been resting for 4 days and expect to get on my bike this week. I am determined to keep them short and spread out until I forget that I have an IT band. Unfortunately, I have a full month before the pool opens.

Sorry that you are looking into surgery --- are you sure you've tried everything?! Surgery totally freaks me out. Good luck!

2007-04-23 11:17 AM
in reply to: #772443

User image

Grafton, WI
frsully - 2007-04-23 7:43 AM
trYgrl - 2007-04-20 12:00 PM

Sorry that you are looking into surgery --- are you sure you've tried everything?! Surgery totally freaks me out. Good luck!

Well I made it 8 miles on my bike in celebration of Earth day running errands yesterday! Nice and easy going, also managed to play a tough match of volleyball.  LIttle bit sore today, but walking.  Surgery will definately be a last resort and I would throw the entire season, so I would wait until later in summer to resort to that if need be.  Yes, it freaks me out too!  I did T'ai Chi chih this weekend, and it has been proven to help with all sorts of things through the balancing of your energy fields.  Apparently I had a block in my energy field in my leg and that was slowing my healing process/causing the injury.  I'll be a believer when it works, so I plan on carrying through with practicing every day for awhile to see if it helps.  It is definatley out there!  Anyone else tried energy therapy/T'ai Chi chih? 

2007-05-05 1:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Hi Everyone.
I'm back for a visit. Still no computer access at the new job - so frustrating! Anyway, I hope training is going well for everyone. Injuries, surgeries... it seems like everyone is going through a lot! I keep everyone in my thoughts.

My next tri is tentatively planned for 7/22, but there is a hockey tournament that I just got invited to on the same weekend. I'll have to see if there are any other options. Too much fun to be had.

Good luck. I missed ya!

Judy
2007-05-13 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Did a 7k yesterday and had my best time.  40:38.  It was my longest running race ever and all but one mile was under nine minutes.  I was so happy.  Today went hiking and skating with my boys.  They were on bikes and Gary and I skated.  Awesome mother's day.  Have a great week all.  Julie
2007-05-14 11:38 AM
in reply to: #798952

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Awesome run Julie!!!!!!!!!! I am very impressed!!!!!!!!

So glad you had a great Mothers' Day, and I'll be thinking about you this week as you prepare for your sprint on Saturday.

2007-05-14 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job on the 7k!!! and happy belated Mother's day to all the Mom's.
2007-05-22 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

Just got my split times for my first tri of the season.  1:36:14 race time.  Check out my race report.  Super fun.  I also averaged under nine minutes per mile on the run which I am so stoked about. 

Thanks for all the well wishes Kristen.  Have a great day.

2007-06-01 10:32 AM
in reply to: #812234

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

Jules:

Great job on the first tri of the season!  I have been without computer access for much of May so sorry I couldn't wish you well ahead of time but Congrats on a great race.

9 minute miles?  You rule!!! 

Judy

Edited by judytag 2007-06-01 10:32 AM
2007-06-14 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
ok, 2nd tri of the season was 400yd swim, 12 mile hilly bike and 1.89 mile run.  Fun and finished in 1:17:46.  All was good until I drove into the garage with my bike still on the roof rack.  I am an idiot.  Bike seems to be ok.  Car just a bit scratched and slight dent on the top of the back door.  Gary is going to get me one of those stickers *Bike on Car*.  Thank goodness.  It could have been a lot worse. 
2007-06-28 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
ok met with the HVTC Tri group last night for a workout.  Did 1440 yd. ows, the 12 mile bike course and the 2 mile run course.  I felt pretty good.  I still need help with my swimming, but everything seems to be coming along.  Feel great this morning after that workout.  My run was 8:25/mile, so I was quite happy.  Hope everyone's season is going well.  Miss hearing from you all.  Be well.  Julie

2007-06-28 10:02 AM

User image

Grafton, WI

Jules, congrats on your workout!  I finished my first and maybe only race this weekend.  Here is my race report if anyone wants to check it out.  I just figured out how ot do that...so cool! 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=81507

2007-07-06 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

Hello Strangers.

Well, nothing on the job front has changed to my advantage yet - but hope springs eternal.  I have been out of the training regimen due to a knee injury.  I tried to work through it, but the MRI revealed that was a battle that I wasn't going to win. Torn cartilage, torn meniscus, pretty big cyst... no wonder it hurt.

I am scheduled for surgery on 7/27 - should be back in action after about a week or so.

I hope everyone's training is going well and I look forward to getting back to it in August.  For now I am maintaining my cardio and building up my legs as much as I can so my rehab will go smoothly and quickly!

Take care,

Judy

2007-07-06 6:04 PM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

Judy,

Good hearing from you, I check out your training log and was wondering where you had gone to.  Best of luck with your surgery.  I am sure you will bounce back no problem.  Be well, Julie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alta's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11