Z
2007-01-22 12:23 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Can we talk some more about zones and periodization please? I need to re-build my endurance level. I just do not know what's the best approach is. may be you can point us to book or an article you know of? Much appreciated.

Z.

2007-01-22 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Cathy-

I did strength training yesterday and then rollerskated for 2 hours at my daughters bday party

• ..oh and I got a FABULOUS deal on a cycleops fluid2 trainer and stand on craigslist.com for $100 I used it yesterday as it was cold and yucky here. The geometry of this road bike is SOOOOO different than what I am used to and the gears are really weird!!!! I am also used to ALOT of resistence when spinning in class and mountain biking so it was just odd. I am still not sure I can make this bike work...I feel ALOT of pressure on my hands and wrists when riding and I do not think that is good right?

• Today I went to spin class at 5:45 and then jumped off the bike and ran 2 miles. Not fast but 11 minutes.....trying to get my legs used to running after a hard bike ride.

I am a little discouraged with my weight I am training like CRAZY and not losing any lbs...I have been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. I am on a low fat low sugar diet with lots of whole foods and fruits veggies nuts no red meat. Anyhow I really HAVE to lose at least 25 more lbs before June......any suggestions? I honestly do not think I can cut anything else out...I am swimming between 3-4000 yards 3 x per week spinning at least 3 times, and running and strength training.

Anyhow---I hope everyone else is having a good monday.

Heather
    2007-01-22 2:46 PM
    in reply to: #663359

User image

New user
    "I am a little discouraged with my weight I am training like CRAZY and not losing any lbs...I have been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. I am on a low fat low sugar diet with lots of whole foods and fruits veggies nuts no red meat. Anyhow I really HAVE to lose at least 25 more lbs before June......any suggestions? I honestly do not think I can cut anything else out...I am swimming between 3-4000 yards 3 x per week spinning at least 3 times, and running and strength training. "

Wow! That's quite a workout. Hang in there! What may be happening is you may be losing inches right now and not weight. You know, converting fat to muscle. I always hate it when people tell me this, but it's true. You can also try eating a little more protein after a workout, it helps rebuild muscle. Another thing is your metabolism may have hit a "plateau", I'm not sure how to get off the plateau and I'd love to know how!

Kaci
    2007-01-22 2:51 PM

User image

New user
    Quick gear question...
    How many miles are running shoes good for? Also, I realized I run more on the outside of my foot, how bad is this really? I know you can buy running shoes that help you with this, but I'm addicted to Newbalance! They really fit my feet the best.

Yesterday - weight training - holding 16 pound sick kid all day, sometime one armed. (Drew's still sick - last time I have him take a flu shot!!!)
    Today - nothing
    Tomorrow - rum 3 miles
    2007-01-22 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
    SC

I've started off the week swimming then taking a spin class. I think I messed up my training last week by not taking a day off on Tuesday and then overdoing it on Wed (swam & biked). My legs were very sore on Thurs & Fri. It took me a long time to recover so I ended up taking 2 days in a row off. I'm doing the 2x balanced plan. I'm wondering if I should pick a different plan? The bike portion for the race I'm doing is 18 mi.

This week I want to go by LBS and get info on bikes and find out what size bike I should be looking at buying.

This Sat. is meeting/registration for Tri training group at the Y starting in Feb.

Zoya, I saw the snow in DC on the news. It looks like it was quite a mess since they don't usually get snow there. It's the same way here whenever it snows since we rarely get any snow. Does everyone run to the store for bread & milk there too?

Hope everyone has a good week!

Mel

Z
    2007-01-22 8:14 PM

User image

Master
    Reston, VA
    Gold member
    Hey Mel!

Yes, people usually go in a panic mode when it snows. Well, this morning i drove my kid to school and the roads were pure ice! It took me 25 minutes to drive one mile. What a mess!

I'm going for a small surgery tomorrow, so i will be sleeping my anesthesia off all day! According to my doc I can go back to my training in a day or so.

Edited by zschaller 2007-01-22 8:23 PM

2007-01-22 10:58 PM

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

Someone was asking about improving running cadence before (Z?  I think?).  In looking for articles about periodization, I found this one about run cadence!

http://www.d3multisport.com/newsletter/aug2006.htm

And here's an article on periodization by Mike Ricci also:

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/triathlon-training/what-does-periodization-mean-and-how-does-it-work-000625.php

Edited by COgirl 2007-01-22 11:02 PM
    2007-01-22 11:04 PM
    in reply to: #663358

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-22 11:23 AM  I need to re-build my endurance level. I just do not know what's the best approach is.

to build endurance, do lots of zone 1-2 training.  This means low heart rates!  Zone 1 is typically called "embarrassingly slow."  Zone 2 is a pace at which you could go all day.  (the zones are your heart rates based upon lactate threshold).  But the best way to build endurance is to train in lower heart rates for increasingly longer periods of time!

Hope your procedure goes well....I'll be thinking of you! 

2007-01-22 11:10 PM
    in reply to: #663359

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-22 11:24 AM Hi Cathy- I did strength training yesterday and then rollerskated for 2 hours at my daughters bday party ...oh and I got a FABULOUS deal on a cycleops fluid2 trainer and stand on craigslist.com for $100 I used it yesterday as it was cold and yucky here. The geometry of this road bike is SOOOOO different than what I am used to and the gears are really weird!!!! I am also used to ALOT of resistence when spinning in class and mountain biking so it was just odd. I am still not sure I can make this bike work...I feel ALOT of pressure on my hands and wrists when riding and I do not think that is good right? Today I went to spin class at 5:45 and then jumped off the bike and ran 2 miles. Not fast but 11 minutes.....trying to get my legs used to running after a hard bike ride. I am a little discouraged with my weight I am training like CRAZY and not losing any lbs...I have been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. I am on a low fat low sugar diet with lots of whole foods and fruits veggies nuts no red meat. Anyhow I really HAVE to lose at least 25 more lbs before June......any suggestions? I honestly do not think I can cut anything else out...I am swimming between 3-4000 yards 3 x per week spinning at least 3 times, and running and strength training. Anyhow---I hope everyone else is having a good monday. Heather

rollerskating for 2 hours?  Holy cow!  Are you sore?  I would think that would use muscles not normally used!  And that is an amazing deal on the trainer!  Cool!

yeah, I'll bet the bike feels different from your mtn bike!  The pressure on your hands and wrists might be that the seat is too high?  Or it might be that the bike just doesn't fit.  It's worth putting a piece of tape or a mark on the seatpost for where it is now, and then mess around with the height of it and try it.  It might bother your knees to adjust it though (hence marking it so you know where it was to start!)  Do you your hands get numb?

Nice work on the brick too!  That jello leg feeling gets better as the run goes on I think.  It's good to practice that!

And on the wt loss....well, are you eating enough?  If you aren't, then your body might think it's starving and then purposely slow down metabolism.  Or it could be that you are gaining muscle....do your clothes fit any better/feel looser?  hmmm.....frustrating I know.

2007-01-22 11:15 PM
    in reply to: #663668

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

kaciphiz - 2007-01-22 1:51 PM Quick gear question... How many miles are running shoes good for? Also, I realized I run more on the outside of my foot, how bad is this really? I know you can buy running shoes that help you with this, but I'm addicted to Newbalance! They really fit my feet the best. Yesterday - weight training - holding 16 pound sick kid all day, sometime one armed. (Drew's still sick - last time I have him take a flu shot!!!) Today - nothing Tomorrow - rum 3 miles

Well first to address your question about plateaus from the other post.....you have to change up the workouts.  Meaning, add interval training (go fast for a minute several times in your bike or run workout, etc).  Your body gets used to a particular routine, so mix it up!  But then there are those times where you STILL get stuck....gotta go with it and be patient!

Running shoes.....I can get about 250 miles out of shoes.  There is a tracker that you can use in the logs.  Some people say you can get up to 500 miles out of shoes, but I am not one of those!  Most people go with the 250 mark anyway. 

Do you have a running shoe store near you?  Many runnning stores have a treadmill that they put you on and film your feet from the back, then recommend shoes.  Sounds like you might pronate and then you might need a "stability" shoe.  New Balance does make a stability shoe, but I forget what it is called.  The filming of your feet is invaluable!  Spending money on a good pair of shoes is a good investment.....saves you from injury in many cases! 

2007-01-22 11:20 PM
    in reply to: #663882

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado
    lialog - 2007-01-22 3:19 PM I've started off the week swimming then taking a spin class. I think I messed up my training last week by not taking a day off on Tuesday and then overdoing it on Wed (swam & biked). My legs were very sore on Thurs & Fri. It took me a long time to recover so I ended up taking 2 days in a row off. I'm doing the 2x balanced plan. I'm wondering if I should pick a different plan? The bike portion for the race I'm doing is 18 mi.

This week I want to go by LBS and get info on bikes and find out what size bike I should be looking at buying.

This Sat. is meeting/registration for Tri training group at the Y starting in Feb.

Zoya, I saw the snow in DC on the news. It looks like it was quite a mess since they don't usually get snow there. It's the same way here whenever it snows since we rarely get any snow. Does everyone run to the store for bread & milk there too?

I will check out the plans tomorrow.....I think the 2x balanced is good but sometimes you need to adjust the plans to make them fit with life!  And that is ok!  What about your tri club?  Are they putting out a plan also?  (cool resource!  great for training partners too!)

Yay!  Bike sizing/semi-shopping is fun!  It's so cool to look at bikes and drool over the fancy ones   I love bikes! 

HA!  Everyone here certainly goes for milk and bread!  After getting literally snowed in for several days at Christmas, everyone is nervous every time it snows now! 

Your training looks awesome by the way

2007-01-23 5:59 PM

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

Well I am in heaven, it got above freezing today WITH sunshine!   

How's everyone's Tuesday going?  I'm having a heck of a work day....crazy stuff.  Happy training!

2007-01-23 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
    Day off today focused on my 8 year olds bday and work

Tommorow strength training and mountain biking

Have a good one

Heather
    2007-01-24 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
    SC

Yesterday (Tues) was a day off for me too. My ds was a handful yesterday.  It was one of those days. Today is swimming and strength training.

Heather, Have you had your thyroid checked?  I have hypothyroidism(slow thyroid) it makes it really difficult to lose weight.  I know it has to be really frustrating for you to be doing all this and not losing.  My friend is having the same issue.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Mel 

2007-01-24 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
    Hi Mel-

Yep I did have it checked (thyroid) in June that's when I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. Since then I have lost about 70 lbs and I am back to my prepregnancy weight but I need to get off the remaining marital bliss 25 lbs hahahaha...the great thing about everything no matter how much I whine is that I can control everything with diet and exercise I no longer need medication or insulin and I am going to do a triathlon in June so when I think about it this way it all seems much better....I am having a small surgery on Feb 6th and I will be out of training for about a week.....I am thinking about doing a fast and cleansing out my system....

Well I am going to ride a short track mountain bike trail today with a friend to see if I can grow some Ba**&^ and enter a beginner race next weekend. It is pretty good weather overcast and about 45 today.

Hope everyone has a GREAT one

H
    2007-01-24 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
    Oh and Cathy can you reccommend shoe covers and something to keep your face warm when you ride????

Since you are the cold weather expert

Heather

Z
    2007-01-24 8:40 AM

User image

Master
    Reston, VA
    Gold member
    I will do one hour run... The speed depends on hoW I feel. I got my anesthetics at 6:30 PM yesterday...so I'm still kind of sleepy ;-)

Edited by zschaller 2007-01-24 8:59 PM
    2007-01-25 8:13 AM

User image

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to let you know I'm still here! Checking in on you and reading all the good info. Sounds like you are really doing well! Nice work

If you can believe it--- I'm STILL sick! I'm on day 14--- I'm hoping the meds will kick in today or tomorrow. So, to say the least I have not moved my butt in 2 full weeks Good news is that the kids don't seem to have what I have. Thank goodness. Just so sick of being sick.

I love reading all your great question-- I've signed up for a 5k in April. Should be lots of fun they also have a tots trot that I've signed my 3 year old for- too cute.

Keep all the good info comming--

sick but still dedicated to my goal,

Melissa
    Z
    2007-01-25 8:58 AM

User image

Master
    Reston, VA
    Gold member
    So I have jitters about my firs race in March. It is a tiny super sprint - only 4 miles ride. But with my "nearly none" biking skills I'm really worried. I know I have to bike more but I can't train much at least now because of my work. It is almost dark by the time i get home. Is biking on weekends will do. I can probably try to make it to two spinning classes a week. What do you all think?

Z.
    2007-01-25 9:47 AM
    in reply to: #665958

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-24 6:18 AM Oh and Cathy can you reccommend shoe covers and something to keep your face warm when you ride???? Since you are the cold weather expert Heather

I use toe covers as opposed to full foot covers, and I have DeSoto brand.  Pearl Izumi makes them, as does Performance bike.  If you bike in really cold weather, then full foot covers are good....PI, Performance, and Louis Garneau make them.  Probably others too, but I can't recall other brands!

At the du last Saturday, a lot of people wore a balaclava under their helmets (the neck gaiter thing that also has a head cover).  I on the other hand just got windburn  

2007-01-25 9:49 AM
    in reply to: #667268

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

Trimomnewbe - 2007-01-25 7:13 AM I've signed up for a 5k in April. Should be lots of fun they also have a tots trot that I've signed my 3 year old for- too cute. Keep all the good info comming-- sick but still dedicated to my goal, Melissa

How fun for your 3 y/o!  That will be cool....and good for you for being the excellent role model!  The 5K sounds cool....you'll be more than ready for that in April! 

hang in there with being sick Melissa!  If you can tolerate a walk, try that....otherwise, rest up and get well!

2007-01-25 9:51 AM
    in reply to: #667332

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-25 7:58 AM So I have jitters about my firs race in March. It is a tiny super sprint - only 4 miles ride. But with my "nearly none" biking skills I'm really worried. I know I have to bike more but I can't train much at least now because of my work. It is almost dark by the time i get home. Is biking on weekends will do. I can probably try to make it to two spinning classes a week. What do you all think? Z.

You'll be just fine!    Keep biking, that is the only way to improve!  Spinning is fine, but definitely get out on your bike on the weekends!  That is a great idea.  Keep up the good work Z! 

2007-01-25 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
    SC

I hope you get well really soon Melissa! Sorry you're so sick.

Good Luck with your ride in March, Zoya.

I swam yesterday and for the first time I shared a lane with someone else. I hit the wall several times with my leg, ouch! Does anyone have any tips on how to share a lane and not get bruised in the process?

Ran today, no bruises

Mel

2007-01-25 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
    Swam 2800 yards this AM then had pre op appt UGH cannot do anything other than walking for TWO WEEKS I am gonna die !!!! Oh well...I still have 14 weeks after that to train right?

I was not very happy leaving there today.

Hope everyone had a great day goin to bed spin class at 5:45

Heather
    2007-01-25 9:38 PM
    in reply to: #668038

User image

Pro
    Broomfield, Colorado

lialog - 2007-01-25 1:40 PM I swam yesterday and for the first time I shared a lane with someone else. I hit the wall several times with my leg, ouch! Does anyone have any tips on how to share a lane and not get bruised in the process?

More often than not, you will likely have to share!  Though it is SO nice to have a lane to yourself!  Maybe get a lane in the middle where you aren't next to a wall?  Also you don't have to be so nice and give up most of the lane   You are important too! 

Heather....2 weeks....you'll be ok!  It's almost like having an injury where you have to rest in order to be at  your prime again!  I know....no fun though. 

You all rock!  I am so impressed with everyone!  Keep up the good work! 

BTW, I did send a message to Kendra and Joy, but neither has picked it up!  I hope they are ok and return someday! 

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34