BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-02-12 9:21 AM
in reply to: #687252

Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full
Thanks Fran,
I will definately put my shoes and other gear in the car just in case.
If I just put it in my mind to do something before it starts I would be ok. Only problem is these things have to start so darn early!
Oh well it will be nice with a change of scenery(sp).
The route for this sprint is oline, so I figured I'd take advantage of it. Small community and this event is in the outskirts of town around the local "lake". Since the lake is closed from Oct - March, and the bike route is out in Farm country there is not a lot of traffic.
As soon as the trail dries out We hope to run it a few times too. Our swim will have to be in the pool, the lake has ice and usually is not warm enough to just jump in until late June. Depending of snow run off.

Have a great day.

2007-02-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #661678

User image

Master
Colorado

I agree about just packing your stuff wo you are ready.  I usually have running and swimming gear in the car.  Even if the weather is bad, I make myself take that 40' between drop off and the first match to get my run done with.  Then you can feel healthy for the day  

It is GREAT to get out on the course that you will actually be riding or running.  I almost always check out the course.  Even if I get in the day before, I will take a short bike - usually I'll BIKE the RUN course so I don't have to run a whole 10k, but I will have a good idea of the course.  Also, I will drive the bike course if I can.  The local races, I will go and ride the course SEVERAL times in the weeks/ months leading up to the course.  Most races post the course on line, and if not, you can probably talk to someone who had done it and get directions.  That way you can also mentally prepare with visuals from the actual course! 

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I'll check by all of your logs today!!

2007-02-12 10:05 PM
in reply to: #688411

juliapurr - 2007-02-12 3:16 PM

Most races post the course on line, and if not, you can probably talk to someone who had done it and get directions. That way you can also mentally prepare with visuals from the actual course!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I'll check by all of your logs today!!

I just found the map of the course I'll be doing! This is going to be so much fun!

Does anyone know if a wetsuit you'd use in a race be the same as you'd use surfing?

I just read an article on wetsuits and found the answer. according to the article surfing wetsuits are not as flexible as triathlon suits.

Edited by francisjade 2007-02-12 10:17 PM
2007-02-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #688411

I look forward do doing that bike route several more times before the event.
For our area It is probably the only real place to get similar climbs. I don't want to only do that route for fear of, no real fear of anything just too much drive to get there.
I was happy to find the course listed online. We drove it the day before and it was intimidating. Then of course I had no Idea what to expect with the hills. Definately glad we have the opportunity to ride it whenever we want.
Thanks so much for everyones input and added information. I know I get a lot out of listening to you all.
2007-02-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #688819

User image

Master
Colorado
francisjade - 2007-02-12 9:05 PM

Most races post the course on line, and if not, you can probably talk to someone who had done it and get directions. That way you can also mentally prepare with visuals from the actual course!

I just found the map of the course I'll be doing! This is going to be so much fun! Does anyone know if a wetsuit you'd use in a race be the same as you'd use surfing? I just read an article on wetsuits and found the answer. according to the article surfing wetsuits are not as flexible as triathlon suits.

Yes, they are not as flexible, but also , they tend to take in a little more water and may not fit quite snug enough to avoid drag.  Usually with a surfing suit it fits for comfort and a racing wetsuit is not necessarily comfortable when you first put it on.  There are a TON out there and you can chack on Ebay and Craig's list, but I have to say the most important thing in a wetsuit is - FIT (yes, just like the bike!)  You want it to be VERY snug out of the water.  when you get in the water it won't seem as tight.  If it is too big, you will notice drag and you might not like it   (speaking from personal experience).

2007-02-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #690443

juliapurr - 2007-02-14 11:27 AM

francisjade - 2007-02-12 9:05 PM

I just found the map of the course I'll be doing! This is going to be so much fun! Does anyone know if a wetsuit you'd use in a race be the same as you'd use surfing? I just read an article on wetsuits and found the answer. according to the article surfing wetsuits are not as flexible as triathlon suits.

Yes, they are not as flexible, but also , they tend to take in a little more water and may not fit quite snug enough to avoid drag.  Usually with a surfing suit it fits for comfort and a racing wetsuit is not necessarily comfortable when you first put it on.  There are a TON out there and you can chack on Ebay and Craig's list, but I have to say the most important thing in a wetsuit is - FIT (yes, just like the bike!)  You want it to be VERY snug out of the water.  when you get in the water it won't seem as tight.  If it is too big, you will notice drag and you might not like it   (speaking from personal experience).

So then I take it the reverse would be true? A triathlon wetsuit might feel too uncomfortable for a day of surfing? The reason I ask is cause I need to buy another wetsuit and hoping it could be useful for a few activities, to save money I don't want to buy two separate suits.

2007-02-14 10:12 PM

User image

Shoreline
I have a heart rate monitor question. I just got the Polar F6 and so far so good. Wore it on the bike, then in the pool without any problems. My question is in regards to it's 'OwnZone' calibration. I like to work out at about 152, which indicates to me that 152 would be in the 80% zone. However, the heart rate monitor alarm goes off the majority of the time I am working out because it thinks that is too high. Am I working out in an inefficient zone? Or do I not have the monitor calibrated correctly?
2007-02-14 11:43 PM
in reply to: #691228

Caycee - 2007-02-14 10:12 PM

I have a heart rate monitor question. I just got the Polar F6 and so far so good. Wore it on the bike, then in the pool without any problems. My question is in regards to it's 'OwnZone' calibration. I like to work out at about 152, which indicates to me that 152 would be in the 80% zone. However, the heart rate monitor alarm goes off the majority of the time I am working out because it thinks that is too high. Am I working out in an inefficient zone? Or do I not have the monitor calibrated correctly?

With my HR monitor I can either choose the zone I want to work out in from four different zones my HR monitor provides OR I can make a custom zone. Can you do that with yours? You could make your own zone from let's say 145-155 for example and select that zone for your workouts.
2007-02-15 2:26 PM

User image

Shoreline
OK - I figured that out and set it to 'Hard' workout. Then I went for a run. When I got back I looked at the workout intensity because it was beeping the entire time I was running. And it says that my max was 103%, and my average was 91%. I never felt like I was pushing myself to the limit. Although I was pushing a running stroller up some good hills.

Should I be concerned or could I just workout at a higher heart rate AND does that mean I am wicked out of shape;]

Caycee
2007-02-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: #692070

User image

Master
Colorado

Caycee - 2007-02-15 1:26 PM OK - I figured that out and set it to 'Hard' workout. Then I went for a run. When I got back I looked at the workout intensity because it was beeping the entire time I was running. And it says that my max was 103%, and my average was 91%. I never felt like I was pushing myself to the limit. Although I was pushing a running stroller up some good hills. Should I be concerned or could I just workout at a higher heart rate AND does that mean I am wicked out of shape;] Caycee

Don't get too woried yet.  I would say you should go by percieved rate of exertion for now.  If you can EASILY talk while jogging, that is zone 2.  Still able to talk, but with a little more difficulty breathing is typically zone 3.  When you get on a hill - ESPECIALLY with the added weight, you will pop into a higher HR zone.  NOT TO WORRY.  Just so you get an idea, I usually bike in the 160's.  My run today was up to 185, which is the top of my zone 3.  My max HR is 210.  People used to always say "You're working out to hard" but they didn't understand that my HR is not 'average' for someone my age.  To keep my HR at 150 I would almost have to walk.  Then others would say "You must be out of shape" but guess what - NO WAY - it's just that everyone's HR is different and your zones and fitness will change throughout the season for many reasons. 

Another key is how quickly you recover.  Once you top out that hill, how long does it take to come back down??  I certainly would not worry about spending 10% of your workout pushing a little harder.  It is true that in the base phase you should train mostly in zones 1 and 2, but until you can establish your actual zones, don't let anyone else tell you what they are.  Don't go kill yourself every day but don't be afraid to creep up on a hill or during some of your workouts to test your speed.  Just don't do it every workout, every day

2007-02-15 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Oh and I LOVE that you said "wicked" out of shape  

2007-02-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #690674

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-02-14 12:34 PM
juliapurr - 2007-02-14 11:27 AM
So then I take it the reverse would be true? A triathlon wetsuit might feel too uncomfortable for a day of surfing? The reason I ask is cause I need to buy another wetsuit and hoping it could be useful for a few activities, to save money I don't want to buy two separate suits.

Yeah, unfortunately, you will also void your warranty on a tri wetsuit if you surf in it.  Or waterski or anything else.  Tri wetsuits are kinda touchy and delicate and the materials are really not made to rub on anything like a surfboard.  It would break down pretty quickly.  The materials are really to keep you bouyant and resist drag so they aren't made for anything but swimming...  I tried the same thing.

2007-02-15 4:41 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Yeah, I'll have to agree with the Wicked...that brought back some east coast slang I haven't used in awhile!
2007-02-15 10:48 PM

Here is just a general question for everyone....What type of music do you like to listen to when working out?
What songs really make you want to move?

Hubby got me a new mp3 for Vday and just working at getting it loaded up. You know how it is a soon as you try to think of your favs you draw a blank. :}

Diane
2007-02-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: #692171

juliapurr - 2007-02-15 3:12 PM

Caycee - 2007-02-15 1:26 PM OK - I figured that out and set it to 'Hard' workout. Then I went for a run. When I got back I looked at the workout intensity because it was beeping the entire time I was running. And it says that my max was 103%, and my average was 91%. I never felt like I was pushing myself to the limit. Although I was pushing a running stroller up some good hills. Should I be concerned or could I just workout at a higher heart rate AND does that mean I am wicked out of shape;] Caycee

Don't get too woried yet. I would say you should go by percieved rate of exertion for now. If you can EASILY talk while jogging, that is zone 2. Still able to talk, but with a little more difficulty breathing is typically zone 3. When you get on a hill - ESPECIALLY with the added weight, you will pop into a higher HR zone. NOT TO WORRY. Just so you get an idea, I usually bike in the 160's. My run today was up to 185, which is the top of my zone 3. My max HR is 210. People used to always say "You're working out to hard" but they didn't understand that my HR is not 'average' for someone my age. To keep my HR at 150 I would almost have to walk. Then others would say "You must be out of shape" but guess what - NO WAY - it's just that everyone's HR is different and your zones and fitness will change throughout the season for many reasons.

Another key is how quickly you recover. Once you top out that hill, how long does it take to come back down?? I certainly would not worry about spending 10% of your workout pushing a little harder. It is true that in the base phase you should train mostly in zones 1 and 2, but until you can establish your actual zones, don't let anyone else tell you what they are. Don't go kill yourself every day but don't be afraid to creep up on a hill or during some of your workouts to test your speed. Just don't do it every workout, every day

So then it makes no sense really to compare heart rates? When I ran regularly a couple years ago my running partner and I would exchange HRs. I would imagine we both had fairly typical HRs zones since they were usually within a couple beats of one another. But one thing we noticed, when we ran hills, my partner's HR would stay somewhat low whereas my would shoot up high, but on recovery my HR would be low very quickly and her HR would take a longer time to drop. Does this mean anything?
2007-02-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #692171

juliapurr - 2007-02-15 3:12 PM

Don't get too woried yet. I would say you should go by percieved rate of exertion for now. If you can EASILY talk while jogging, that is zone 2. Still able to talk, but with a little more difficulty breathing is typically zone 3. When you get on a hill - ESPECIALLY with the added weight, you will pop into a higher HR zone. NOT TO WORRY. Just so you get an idea, I usually bike in the 160's. My run today was up to 185, which is the top of my zone 3. My max HR is 210. People used to always say "You're working out to hard" but they didn't understand that my HR is not 'average' for someone my age. To keep my HR at 150 I would almost have to walk. Then others would say "You must be out of shape" but guess what - NO WAY - it's just that everyone's HR is different and your zones and fitness will change throughout the season for many reasons.

Another key is how quickly you recover. Once you top out that hill, how long does it take to come back down?? I certainly would not worry about spending 10% of your workout pushing a little harder. It is true that in the base phase you should train mostly in zones 1 and 2, but until you can establish your actual zones, don't let anyone else tell you what they are. Don't go kill yourself every day but don't be afraid to creep up on a hill or during some of your workouts to test your speed. Just don't do it every workout, every day

So then it makes no sense really to compare heart rates? When I ran regularly a couple years ago my running partner and I would exchange HRs. I would imagine we both had fairly typical HRs zones since they were usually within a couple beats of one another. But one thing we noticed, when we ran hills, my partner's HR would stay somewhat low whereas my would shoot up high, but on recovery my HR would be low very quickly and her HR would take a longer time to drop. Does this mean anything?

2007-02-16 9:13 AM

User image

Shoreline
I found a heart rate calculator on the 'IronGirl' Web site yesterday that seems fairly accurate for my needs....http://www.irongirl.com/heartRateTool.php. I would be curious to hear if it is spot on for others as well.

I just loaded the numbers into my monitor manually and will be trying it out today. I am doing a brick. I am going to swim and then dash into spin class.

Glad I could spice up my last post with some New England lingo. I love to throw things like that out there (here in Seattle)...people look at me funny. For example, I will tell someone I need to go to the Packy to get some Beahs (Beers). I have been asked "what's a Packy" every single time.
2007-02-16 9:19 AM
in reply to: #692724

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Caycee - 2007-02-16 7:13 AM For example, I will tell someone I need to go to the Packy to get some Beahs (Beers). I have been asked "what's a Packy" every single time.

Um. What's a Packy? =)
2007-02-16 9:23 AM

User image

Shoreline
Ha ha ha!!!! You just made my day.

In New England if you want to pick up some booze you head on down to the package store. I'm not sure if it has changed since I left, but in Massachusetts you can't buy alcohol anywhere else (like in the grocery store).
2007-02-16 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Comparing your HR to someone else's is fine, but it doesn't give you much information.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  I personally am an orange   The important thing it to continually compare your own HR on different runs.  For example at this time last year, my HR at Lactate Threshold (LT) was 191, now it's 193.  At 191 last year, my pace was around 8:30 miles.  NOW, it's more like 7:30 miles (at my last test, however earlier this week I ran 7:30 pace for several miles and kept my HR at 185)  So I am seeing HUGE improvement over a year.  You can also tell when you are overtrained and tired, or coming down with something.  IF you HR is exceptionally high, you might be coming down with a cold or be very tired.  If you have trouble getting your HR up to your normal range, you might be overtrained or physically tired from other exercise.  But HR is like a fingerprint - everyone is unique   You should see less spike on HR over hills and such in time.  Also, with less weight and less work to do.  IF you are recovering quickly, you're not as out of shape as you think! 

2007-02-17 6:51 AM
in reply to: #692745

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Caycee - 2007-02-16 7:23 AM

Ha ha ha!!!! You just made my day.

In New England if you want to pick up some booze you head on down to the package store. I'm not sure if it has changed since I left, but in Massachusetts you can't buy alcohol anywhere else (like in the grocery store).

Ohh! Why would it be called the package store? As in, packages of alcohol? In the Midwest we would just call it the liquor store. And here in California we call it the grocery store Or, we have this neat chain called BevMo (Beverages and More). Or 7-11 hehe

2007-02-17 8:22 AM

User image

Shoreline
The term "package" derives from the fact that following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, a political compromise was reached with leaders of the temperance movement whereby containers of alcoholic beverages could not legally be carried in public uncovered from view. Thus, stores that sold alcohol for consumption elsewhere wrapped or "packaged" them for their customers' convenience.

Got that from Wikipedia.

2007-02-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #692536

Diane&Mike - 2007-02-15 10:48 PM

Here is just a general question for everyone....What type of music do you like to listen to when working out?
What songs really make you want to move?

Hubby got me a new mp3 for Vday and just working at getting it loaded up. You know how it is a soon as you try to think of your favs you draw a blank. :}

Diane

I bought myself an MP3 player for my bday back in November. I've tried using it twice but the ear buds fall out, until I can get over the head ear phones I don't work out with music. When I do get those headphones however I will listen to classical music especially piano or orchestral. Some of my fav pieces are soooo inspiring and deeply beautiful that I easily forget about the pain : ) But I've heard some cool tunes that I liked during a spinning class but I'm not good with remembering names of songs or performers. This makes me want to use my MP3!!!! Good music makes a big difference eh? Did you get yours loaded up?
2007-02-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: #692536

User image

West Richland

That is a nice Valentine's Day present!

I mostly like to listen to upbeat pop music or hip hop when I work out, especially the cheesy stuff that I wouldn't listen to normally. On my mp3 player right now I have Justin Timberlake, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson. Giant Panda is a group I really like that does upbeat old-school rap. I need to mix up my playlist so I'd like to hear other people's ideas too!

I like the idea of adding classical music, that would be nice for longer runs outside when you don't want to be too distracted by changing songs, etc.

For running I sometimes listen to podcasts, they're not as good for getting you moving as music but they help me get my mind off of my own whining when I have a bad attitude. Most public radio shows are available as podcasts, I like This American Life and Good Food. I had a German language one that I subscribed to but there hasn't been a new one in months.

2007-02-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: #694687

Fran-I too have problems with the ear buds. I must have small ear holes. Of all things to be small. It couldn't be my gut or thighs, No I get small ear holes (and veins according to the dentist when having wisdom teeth out. Couldn't get the IV in.)
I finally found some comfy head phones - Sony wrap around the ear but not the head thingy or head strap I gues you would call it.
I tried ear buds and they fell out before one lap on the TM. Used new ones today, no problems: rode bike 16 miles then a slow walk/run for 2miles.
El-I find myselk listening to a wide variety of music when I work out too. I haven't tried classical but who knows may be a nice change. I have a lot of the same music you mentioned along with some not so clean rap. ?? I am not sure why I can listen to that when I am moving but to have it on in the car or coming from the kids radio I can't stand it.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am a country music fan usually. The mp3 is loaded with: Trace Atkins, Brooks and Dunn, Tim Mcgraw, Garth, Reba, Gary Allan, Rascal Flats, Kenny Chesney, Jack Ingram, Blake SHelton, Joe Nichols, Kieth Urban....Will Smith, Nelly, Nelly Furtardo, Gwen stefani, Pink, DMX, Eminem, Justin Timberlake, Daniel Porter, Christina Aguilera, Eagles, Iggy Pop, Missy Elliot, Usher, 50cent, NickleBack, OutKast, Fergie, Rob Zombie.....
Like I say wide variety.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18