BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-01-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - OPEN - taking on a few more

So, I went for a run today.  5 miles through the park.  My time ended up being the slowest ever, 12:30 per mile.  I felt ok, but if I tried to go faster, I would start to feel tight, almost crampy.  I even felt I could go longer at this slower pace.  It seems the longer I can go the lower I do go even on shorter runs where I know I can do better.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Edited by pole_dancer 2008-01-13 10:46 PM

2008-01-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1153532

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
If what you are saying is that the slower you run, the longer you feel you can run, then I would say that this is pretty normal. As for having your slowest run ever, I find that times can flucuate widely for many reasons (rest, hydration, weather, health). Hard to tell not knowing more details, but I would say that it is not abnormal to have a very slow run. The good news is that the next time out you could have one of your faster runs. Keep at it!!
2008-01-14 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I am building my running base and each week I add more distance, but as I add more, I get slower, even on the shorter distances.
2008-01-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1154303

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I would say that you should not worry about your time if you are building your base. I tend to focus more on heartrate or perceived effort during this phase. Further, as you add distance, I would think that it would be normal to slow down slightly. As for slowing down even on the shorter runs, I am not sure about this aspect. I am not a strong runner though. I would like to hear jesswah's thoughts on this topic, as I seem to recall her saying that as she ran more and improved her base that she got faster and faster, over time that is. Maybe you just need to stick with the base training and over time you will get faster.
2008-01-14 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1153068

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Congrats on your Giants, as much as it pains me to say this.
2008-01-14 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1153532

User image

It sounds as if you've just started running? If so, don't worry about time. Concentrate of length of time on your feet and overall distance - but worry about them independently and do not worry about mile splits. Many reasons for this 1.) Use races to gauge your time 2.) Vary workouts according to how your body feels. Easy runs should simply be easy for you; Tempo runs should be what is tempo for how you feel that day 3.) the most important thing is volume and total mileage. If you could go longer, that is great! Log your weekly mileage and worry about volume! If you build a nice volume base, and consistently run a nice amount of mileage a week, eventually - without even trying - you will get faster. It does not happen overnight though and it does not even happen in a couple of weeks - it takes a few months. But stick at it and eventually it will happen - you will get faster - and all the time and effort you put in will pay off and God is it rewarding

But first and foremost - get your body used to the rigors of running. Your skeletal system will strengthen, your core will strengthen, your ability take in oxygen and utilize it as muscle energy will increase, but this takes time and it depends on what kind of shape you are in now and genetics how long the metamorphosis will take. Bottomline for right now is - run, run, run but try not to time... yet. And have fun while running! Listen to music, listen to books on tape, run errands by running, periodically concentrate on form: trying to land on your mid to fore-foot, no heel-slamming!, meditate on problems and solve them!, get in touch with you spiritual side while running - smell the flowers, watch the sunrises - sunsets - the stars during twilight runs, run along the beach ... these are all things I do while running. Free your mind while you run.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-01-14 10:48 AM

2008-01-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1152283

User image

Veteran

matthewmac - 2008-01-12 2:32 PM Is there room for 1 more?

Yes.  You're in!!  (Sorry, I was gone for the weekend!)

Has everyone who's doing the challenge this week posted up their goals for swim, bike, run?

2008-01-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1154459

User image

Veteran

gatjr33 - 2008-01-14 8:15 AM I would say that you should not worry about your time if you are building your base. I tend to focus more on heartrate or perceived effort during this phase. Further, as you add distance, I would think that it would be normal to slow down slightly. As for slowing down even on the shorter runs, I am not sure about this aspect. I am not a strong runner though. I would like to hear jesswah's thoughts on this topic, as I seem to recall her saying that as she ran more and improved her base that she got faster and faster, over time that is. Maybe you just need to stick with the base training and over time you will get faster.

I would agree with not worrying about time.  At least not yet anyways.  From my own experience, it took a long while for me to build up speed - building endurance was a lot easier.  So I focused on keeping a slow pace so I could run further, adding 0.5-1 mile to my longest run each week.  Once I'd built up a strong aerobic base so I could crank out 5+ miles any given day, the speed started to pick up too.  Over the past year, my endurance pace has increased by about 1:00/mile - which for a long run, is a LOT of time.  Focus on just builing your base now, the speed will come later.

2008-01-14 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1154594

User image

Expert

GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS!!!!!! OK....enough of that.  I forgot if I posted or not. I am looking for 6 hours total training at least. It will depend on how bad my back hurts on what I do. Maybe this :

Swim : 2.5 hrs

Run :  1.5 hrs

Bike : 2 hours

More next week as I am in a building phase.....

2008-01-14 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!

OK, we're now filled up!

gator22
Log
rowdypaint 

Log

blockertri
Log
elheffe99
Log
Ronen
Log
pole_dancer
Log
Dream Chaser
Log
naners
Log
gatjr33
Log
TortugaGirl
Log
matthewmac
Log

I hope I didn't miss anyone on this list, but if I did, shout at me!!

And hopefully ready to kick some butt in the challenge with triOK's group this week!  (Are we still doing bikini pics?)

2008-01-14 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1154630

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Hi all and a warm welcome to the new group members!

jesswah - 2008-01-14 9:08 AM

I hope I didn't miss anyone on this list, but if I did, shout at me!!

Jess, I think that you left yourself out of the list...

TortugaGirl,

Thanks for the recipe.

Last night I was asking my wife (who is an expert cook - IMHO) about other "healthy" (snack) recipe that I could share with the group. Here is another one, which is really easy to make and is pretty tasty as well:

In a large bowl mix 1 qt. of non-fat, plain, white yogurt, 3-5 tablespoons minced fresh dill, 4-5 (or more) heads garlic, peeled. Add some salt - if you wish (we do not) and let it stay in the fridge for a few hours. That's it! You can use it as a vegetable dip, eat it with hot baked potato or over a rice cake... It is easy to make and great to eat - trust me!

Enjoy!

On another note, for those who attend a masters swimming program. Can you describe how it is like? Do people get individual attention (form correction, etc.) or, is it like a more of a group long swim workout type of thing? I have read about those programs, but never attended any (yet).

Thanks in advance.

2008-01-14 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Red Bikinis?!? 

My goals for this week are going to be a bit off because I’m going on vacation on Wednesday.  I’ll try and get some runs in while I’m away, but am not sure if a Hawaii girl trying to run in Wisconsin (in January!) is very probable.  .  

Here are my goals for the next three days:

1 hr. swimming
2 hrs.  15 mins.  biking
1 hr. 30 mins.  Jogging

After that, who knows…I’ll try to do something.

2008-01-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1154630

New user

New Jersey
Thanks for letting me in!

I'm a total noob as a triathlete so I'll have may questions.

My stats: 5'10", 140. My weight has not shifted up nor down within the past 5 months no matter how much or little I eat.

To get started, I want to compete in my first sprint in June, the Black Bear triathalon. I know I have some time to get prepared. I have been weight training 2 days a week, cut back to one day a week due to scheduling, for the past 8 months. Currently (as of Firday) I'm running 2 miles every other day (I'm not too sore today). Day off today (Monday), run tomorrow, weight train with my trainer on Wednesday, run again on Thursday, strength train/run on Friday, Saturday off and Sunday run again. I feel that I should then increase my running to 3 miles for a couple of weeks before I take on the biking challenge. I'm currently looking for a pool option.

Speaking of bikes. I can't really afford a $1200+ tri bike. I do have a mountain bike that I can use as is but I don't know if I should modify it. Any suggestions?
2008-01-14 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1154968

User image

Expert
Hawaii
On another note, for those who attend a masters swimming program. Can you describe how it is like? Do people get individual attention (form correction, etc.) or, is it like a more of a group long swim workout type of thing? I have read about those programs, but never attended any (yet).

Thanks in advance.

The coaches on our team give us the workout in small sets, and also give us pointers on our technique when they see problems or when we are doing drill sets.  So, it’s kind of a mixture of both a long group workout (with the team broken down into fast, faster, and fastest groups) and individual attention—with a greater emphasis on group workout. 

That said, I think that it varies from masters group to masters group, and even swimmer to swimmer.  Some people on my team have asked the coaches for stroke instruction…so they get more individual attention.  Others almost seem to be offended when the coach gives them pointers.

2008-01-14 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1155004

User image

Veteran

matthewmac - 2008-01-14 11:15 AM

Speaking of bikes. I can't really afford a $1200+ tri bike. I do have a mountain bike that I can use as is but I don't know if I should modify it. Any suggestions?

Definently NO need to shell out $$$ for a new bike right now.  Here's some options:

1. Get the narrowest, slickest tires you can, to reduce rolling resistance - your LBS should be able to point you in the right direction.  I prefer ones with kevlar or some sort of flat protection.  It adds weight, but reduces how often I change tubes, and Serfas has some pretty good cheap ones (<$20). 

2. Make sure it fits you.

3. TRAIN!  It's not the bike the matters, but the engine!  I was passed at my HIM last season by a guy on a mountain bike.  Shocked the heck out of me.  I know I'm not fast, but I was going 18mph (fast for me) in my aerobars on my carbon fiber road bike!

4. You *could* put aerobars on, but it looks pretty ridiculous, and if your bars are too high, may not help much.

5. Clipless pedals.  But be careful of the learning curve.  Most people fall, some many times, some not at all.

6. Tune it up.  If it has been neglected, overhaul front/rear bearings, bottom bracket.  Clean and lube chain, deraillers - replace if necessary.  Old gunked up parts, loose bearings, are going to add excess friction and slow you down.  DIY is much cheaper than a shop, and most things aren't too difficult.  Just takes some time and a couple tools to do most maintenance (and maybe a book with pretty pictures).

I think the best things are get it so it fits you well, narrow tires, and tune it up.  Those will give you the most bang for your buck at this point, as well as making riding it more enjoyable (so you'll train more and get better!).

2008-01-14 3:29 PM

New user

New Jersey
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Now to find a red bikini.....

2008-01-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1155362

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
jesswah - 2008-01-14 12:34 PM

matthewmac - 2008-01-14 11:15 AM

Definitely NO need to shell out $$$ for a new bike right now. Here's some options:

1. Get the narrowest, slickest tires you can, to reduce rolling resistance - your LBS should be able to point you in the right direction. I prefer ones with kevlar or some sort of flat protection. It adds weight, but reduces how often I change tubes, and Serfas has some pretty good cheap ones (<$20).

2. Make sure it fits you.

3. TRAIN! It's not the bike the matters, but the engine! I was passed at my HIM last season by a guy on a mountain bike. Shocked the heck out of me. I know I'm not fast, but I was going 18mph (fast for me) in my aerobars on my carbon fiber road bike!

4. You *could* put aerobars on, but it looks pretty ridiculous, and if your bars are too high, may not help much.

5. Clipless pedals. But be careful of the learning curve. Most people fall, some many times, some not at all.

6. Tune it up. If it has been neglected, overhaul front/rear bearings, bottom bracket. Clean and lube chain, deraillers - replace if necessary. Old gunked up parts, loose bearings, are going to add excess friction and slow you down. DIY is much cheaper than a shop, and most things aren't too difficult. Just takes some time and a couple tools to do most maintenance (and maybe a book with pretty pictures).

I think the best things are get it so it fits you well, narrow tires, and tune it up. Those will give you the most bang for your buck at this point, as well as making riding it more enjoyable (so you'll train more and get better!).

I would second Jess on all the above. Make sure you fit well on the bike.

When I faced the same dilemma, people had also offered the following suggestions:

- Borrow road/tri bike from someone you know (for a while), who has similar body dimensions as you do (I did not know anyone that could do that for me so it was not an option to me).

- Rent a road/tri bike for a weekend and/or race. This way you can train with your own, and get better result at race time.

I did not attempt any of the two suggestions above but rather used my old MTB - which have still their original wide, trail tires and fit a 14 years old teenager better than they fit me - until I saved enough to buy my current tri bike.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ronen 2008-01-14 5:41 PM
2008-01-14 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1155548

User image

Expert

matthewmac - 2008-01-14 3:29 PM Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Now to find a red bikini.....

You won't need a red bikini..they will...when we win

2008-01-14 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1155766

User image

gator22 - 2008-01-14 5:24 PM

matthewmac - 2008-01-14 3:29 PM Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Now to find a red bikini.....

Pffffft.... don't hold your breath.  I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken.  You'll look hot in that skimpy lil thing....

2008-01-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1155766

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
gator22 - 2008-01-14 3:24 PM

BTW: How many weeks is that challenge on for? 

2008-01-14 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1155793

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Ronen - 2008-01-14 12:43 PM
gator22 - 2008-01-14 3:24 PM

BTW: How many weeks is that challenge on for?

Seeing as how bikini pictures are on the line, shouldn't it be for a significant period of time?  Please? 

2008-01-14 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Not sure how long it is for (hopefully at least 5 weeks??)... but to make it easier to set/acheive goals, they will be posted on a regular basis.  This is looking like a lot of statistics.  Yay!!!
2008-01-15 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1156089

User image

Expert
Feel free to pop into TRIOK's group to talk smack....I already have!!!
2008-01-15 10:19 AM

New user

New Jersey
I never posted any goals for the week. As I'm just starting out, I'm making it simple. I will get the MTB up and running and I will find a pool soon to add these in too.

Run: 6 miles

I too am finding it difficult to add in training time. Early morning is the only time that I have and I HATE to wake up early. Plus, I don't have huge support at home for this (long story not to be gotten into) but am saying to hell with it and doing it for myself anyway.

As I fracked up my running today, I'll make up for it within the next couple days. I work out with my trainer tomorrow.

S/W: I will need help in everything I do. I use to Pole Vault in HS and sprint so running is not as hard for me (just getting back into it is). And I used to cycle a lot back in the day. So that does not scare me as much as the swimming aspect does. I'm an ok swimmer. Never really did any distance. So this is the biggest area that I will need help in.
2008-01-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1157139

User image

Expert

That not getting support thing at home is a biggie dude....My ex-wife always gave me shizt about going to the gym until I weighed 250....If that is the deal, the investment in your health is a much bigger plus than the short time you are away from family. Bring them into the training as much as you can. I run next to my kids on bikes and they always cross the finish line with me at races....Good luck with that.

Total Immersion book or DVD for swimming. Take the time to learn right and it will change your swimming life!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18