of 14

2008-01-22 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1170355

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Full
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-22 1:58 PM

OK, just had to share with the group!  I ended up getting a new bike yesterday -- a Felt F75 from 2007

Your gonna love it. I got the elevator pitch from the Felt guy at a recent cocktail party at the LBS and it really is a well put together bike.

FWIW: Although I am shopping for a Tri Bike, I have done 4 seasons of races on a very old roadie. (Including 2 HIMs and a Full IM) I will be doing IMCal on my Roadie this year and will keep it around for training rides. (Still a great bike)

Congratulations

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-01-22 6:08 PM

2008-01-23 12:10 AM
in reply to: #1170605

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
kanders - 2008-01-22 5:54 PM

Woohoo - beautiful bike!  Are you tall?  That bike looks tall to me, but it could just be the picture angle. 

I'm 5'7, but I love to be low so the saddle height is not a problem for me!  Feels much better than my old roadie, in fact.  Anyway, cannot wait to get on it.

And Tim, I'm seriously considering volunteering for California 70.3.  I can't decide if I want to man the penalty tent or pull people out of the swim?!  It sounds like a blast......you'll have to send me pics of your outfit and the bike so I can spot you.  We'll make "Go Team Waterdog" signs along the way.   

2008-01-23 6:14 AM
in reply to: #1170355

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-22 4:58 PM

OK, just had to share with the group!  I ended up getting a new bike yesterday -- a Felt F75 from 2007.....we added the aerobars, forward seat post, and replaced the stem, so now it's got a fairly decent tri geometry.  I LOVE it-- what a difference from my Trek 1000.  I decided against the tri bike because in my price range, I got a lot more bang for my buck in a road bike.  And I really don't have room for 2 bikes in my house, so going the road bike route eliminates the need for 2.  Anyways, thanks again for the advice.  Now I'm even more motivated to get out there and hit the road. 

Congrats!  It's a beautiful bike!  I bought a previous year's model of road bike last winter and got a great price.  I also went with the road bike rather than tri bike, and it has been the right decision - sounds like it will be for you too.  I am thinking of getting professionally fitted at the tri shop this spring and adding a seat post similar to yours to get more aero (we already put on the aero bars).  I bet you can't wait to get out there and ride!

2008-01-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1171201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

I know it's early in the season for this discussion, and maybe we want to hold off for a while, but can we  talk about adding speed?  I just looked at my A-race finishers/scheduled participants, and to place in my AG, I need to add about a half mile to my LY bike speed and drop 30 seconds off my mile pace .  First - are these achievable goals?  Second, when is the appropriate time to add speed work into my workouts?  We're still base-building, but for how long?

Because I've been sick, I guess I'm chafing at the bit a little.  So howsabout a theoretical discussion? 

2008-01-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1174488

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
kanders - 2008-01-24 12:25 PM

I know it's early in the season for this discussion, and maybe we want to hold off for a while, but can we  talk about adding speed?  I just looked at my A-race finishers/scheduled participants, and to place in my AG, I need to add about a half mile to my LY bike speed and drop 30 seconds off my mile pace .  First - are these achievable goals?  Second, when is the appropriate time to add speed work into my workouts?  We're still base-building, but for how long?

Because I've been sick, I guess I'm chafing at the bit a little.  So howsabout a theoretical discussion? 

I don't think it is ever too early to talk about training for an upcoming season.

I am not much on the technical aspects of bike training other than to apply what I learned on the run to the bike training. (And it seems to have worked for me)

For the run anway, I figured out that some level of speedwork really does help build on improvements in running economy from GA Runs.

The conventional wisdom used to be that intensity (Speedwork) was added to training late in the cycle since the effects don't last that long. (That was the theory anyway)

Pete Pfitzinger published an article a while ago that changed this idea. He found that although speedwork done early in a training cycle does not directly affect race day performance, it does affect the training during the build phase.

I have modified my Pfitz Training Plans to include some early speedwork before the volume gets to high and put bigger emphasis on the late cycle speedwork. (Especially during taper time) I also encorporate a bit of speedwork during cutback weeks when the volume is low.

Speedwork for me is pretty simple. I don't do much in the way of high intensity short intervals because I race endurance events. So speedwork takes on the form:

1). V02Max - 1600m and 2000m intervals at the track (With 800m recovery jogs)
2). LT/AT - Medium Long Run with the last 5-8 miles @ Half Marathon Pace
3). Long Runs with the last 4-6 miles @ Marathon Pace

I have seen big gains from #2 and @3 and not as much from #1 but I still do them once in a while.

A workout that I picked up from a friend of mine recently is the workout I am doing tonight. It is called a Progression Run and the idea is to do a longer Tempo run starting out at Marathon Pace, and progressively getting faster and finish the run @ 5k Race Pace.

Tonight's run will look something like this:

1,200m Warmup
3,200m Marathon Pace
4,000m Half Marathon Pace
4,000m 10k Pace
3,200m 5k Pace
400m Cooldown

The idea is to do this workout regularly and as it gets closer to the goal race, work on decreasing the number of marathon paced miles and maximize the faster than MP miles. The goal is to build muscular endurance to be able to crank up the entensity late in the race when fatigue is pouring cement in your shoes.

This workout, as well as the other speedwork stuff is pretty strong medicine and once per week is about max for me. Recovery time is key since I run 6 days per week and don't want one workout to impact my ability to run the following day.

For the bike, I just trade pace for HR zones and follow a similar pattern. (And seem to be getting faster on the bike too)

2008-01-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Off for a little mini-break holiday in the local mountains. Be back on Sunday afteroon.

Train Well Everyone and have a great weekend

2008-01-27 8:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
This weeks training was less than stellar. I can not say that I had much motivation. My "program" starts this upcomming week and that will give me 21 weeks till my "A" race. With everything that life throws at you there are times that you just dont really feel like being on the road for hours alone. but HTFU SUAT and all that stuff is what i am working on!!

My focus on nutrition while training is to just try to eat better while curbing cravings for sugar and salt. I find when my training hours get above 8 or so a week (yeah i know it isnt that much) that my hunger goes out of controll and i want to eat all the time and everything i see. So I have started making Tons of brown rice and meat of choice to bring to work so I dont hit the Cafe and i have some at home so I dont just grab what ever I feel like.

I have to begin working on run and bike nutrition I have found out that things like perpetum with that type of protien, while they work well on the bike, make me have to hit the bathroom 20 times on the run. I think I am going to have to stick with the gel and carb drink with no protien for the duration of the race now i have to find the mix that works with me i guess.

2008-01-29 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 5: 2008

So, how is everybody doing this week and how did your training go last week.

The Superbowl is upon us and Spring racing season is almost here. Many of us have early goal races while others will continue to base build through this time.

For the question of the week, how do you deal with weather during your training. Are you one of those folks in the "Crummy Weather Challenge" or do you live someplace where the weather is always good for training.

Train Well Everyone  

2008-01-29 2:55 PM

User image

New user

END OF WEEK #3: Progress is moving forward and I really can't complain at this point. Weigh in was good in that I lost another 3.4 lbs. this week!! I'm trudging foward and just keeping my head down and doing the work. Exercise is more challenging yet becoming easier every time I do it. I'm getting stronger endurance wise and I'm starting to feel good about it.
Nutrition wise I haven't changed anything about my regimen other than trying to curb portion size more than anything. I don't crave sweets and/or any junk food as much. I'm just trying to keep busy as time goes on.
A true inspiration for me this week was myself running into an old classmate of mine in high school. I haven't seen this guy in 13 years and when I saw him, He looked fantastic. He felt energetic, alert, and full of vigor. When I asked him what his secret was, he mentioned that he picked up the sport of running and because of that he lost 65 lbs from when he started. I remember him in high school because he had the same build I had back then and like myself loves to eat!!. He said he never felt better and struggled at first when he started. He never thought he could run a 5k, but now he runs 4 times a week without a hitch. I'm grateful that I ran into him. It just solidified my resolve even more. Week #4 is here and we're ratcheting it up!! Let's hope I survive. We'll see you know next week!!!
2008-01-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1182188

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Awesome results! Hey, hang in there. I'm saying this same thing to myself as I've been challenged this past week with commitments and illness. I've seen positive results from my short experience too. Thanks for sharing yours!
2008-01-29 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1181316

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: RE: Week 5: 2008

Last week was a mixed bag. I hit my personal best on my run. I'd never ran a complete 5k before, but I was elated to finish it without walking in 38 min. I know that's not a land speed record, but the endurance I've been building is great to realize. Unfortunately I came down with a fever that sidelined me this weekend. I want to get back at it, but feel some momentum slip and I'm just really sore all over. I may take one day before returning.

I face the crummy weather scenario. Training indoors all the time is mentally tough. Cabin fever is setting in big time. I'm even considering going ice fishing with my dad, just to get some fresh air! As this year comes to a completion, I think I'll plan a race or two out of town in Jan/Feb. Maybe LaJoya, Dana Point or Laguna CA. (they sound perfect to me right now!)

2008-02-01 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
How's everyone doing this week?  We're slipping down to page 2 so I thought I'd make a quick post to say hi and talk about the rainy day workouts....
For me, bad weather means more swimming.  Running on the treadmill has resulted in both of my major knee injuries, so obviously, my running takes a backseat in the winter time.  I get home too late to run in the daylight, and I am a pansy when it comes to the rain.  I'd much rather hit an indoor spin class or go to my indoor pool than get drenched.  (I'm not a diehard, obviously)  Would love to get a new trainer and spend more time on that, but I like how spin classes force me to work at a higher resistance than I would on the trainer.....and it's forced interval work that I can choose to participate in.  So for me, I think it's a good thing.

Tim, are you ready for Surf City this weekend?  Both the women in my team doing California 70.3 are signed up for the Half as prep.  Was thinking of going to spectate, but the rain may keep me away!
2008-02-01 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1188872

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-02-01 8:26 AM

Tim, are you ready for Surf City this weekend?  Both the women in my team doing California 70.3 are signed up for the Half as prep.  Was thinking of going to spectate, but the rain may keep me away!

Yup, doing Surf City as a tuneup for IMCal also. We are doing a bike ride and lunch afterward tomorrow before the expo if your interested. (Local BT Kids)

There is a thread in the California Forum with the details. (Where to meet and stuff)

The rain on Sunday seems speculative at this point (the forcast keeps bouncing around) but I am not too worried. I would rather run in cool rain than hot/dry/windy conditions.

If you decide to go, drop me a PM and I will send you my mobile number. I will be wearing a 2XU Tri Suit (Possibly with Arm Warmers and a Grey Tech Shirt) and my bib # is: 2930.

Maybe see you there

2008-02-01 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Month 1: 2008

Did everyone's month turn out as they had hoped?

It is still Winter time and many of us are either base training or just kicking off plans for Spring races so there is still plenty of time if things are not all they we had wanted.

Seems like our group has lost a few folks. One has dropped completely off of BT and quite a few more have yet to start logging/participating. I hope they are doing well with their goals wherever they are; maybe they will come and join us

2008-02-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1189068

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Month 1: 2008

The month of January turned out great for me.

I kicked off my HIM plan for an end of March race. The plan is based on a modified 12/55 Pfitz marathon plan with bike added in. Still no swimming for another week or so but am hopeful the ortho will let me into the water soon.

I picked up a new workout from some of my marathoner friends that seems to have put some real spice in my running. My volume is still pretty low and the added intensity is not really much of an issue for now. My tuneup race this weekend will likely result in an adjustment of my training paces.

Sunday's race will be interesting. I am doing a 30-50 mile ride on Saturday to build up some good bike fatigue. I need to remind the body what it is like to run a Half Marathon on less than fresh legs

I have no time goals for the race but since it has been a year since my last Open HM, there is a possibility of a PB.

Train Well Everyone and have a great weekend

2008-02-01 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1189098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

Sorry all, I've had a pretty busy week.  Sick kids, no school due to cold (we're raising a bunch of wusses), and lots of work to make up for the days I missed. 

My January has been pretty decent.  I feel the aerobic capacity coming back and I've made some improvements on my swim.  I have a few kinks that I need to work out, and I'm actually chafing to increase mileage quickly, but am holding back to stay healthy.

I think the question Tim posted at the beginning of the week was about bad weather workouts.  I'm lucky enough to have gotten a second-hand fluid trainer, so I've got my road  bike hooked up to that and I use it at least once a week, if not more.  I also get a lot of use out of my Y.  I like to run in the winter, but I have set some limits on myself - I try not to run if it's below 15 degrees.  I've gotten ear infections a couple of times after cold weather runs and it just seems like a good thing.  I may complain about my Y's teensy track (21 laps to a mile), but the surface is nice and soft and it makes for easy indoor running.   I am looking forward to spring, though!

Best wishes in your race this weekend, Tim, and happy training, everyone!

2008-02-01 2:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Things are just starting up here for me. I started a 20 week plan for my first IM in June. Looking at the task ahead I wonder if I will have enough endurance built to do it by then.....but then again i guess everyone feels like that at the start of this quest.

My month of Jan went well with more swimming and running that I had planned but I am glad. I feel like the months increase in run time helped me push through a obstical and allowed me to increase my speed on my shorter runs. My swim times are dropping nicely and I feel a bit better in the water. I actually had a couple of good times for me.... a 7:24 mile run and a 1:28 100yard swim.

I feel like i am in the best shape I have ever been in and look forward to the challenge of my training. I have been tweaking the program that they have here for the 20 week ironman and adding just a bit of distance and time to the workouts along with moving them around to fit my schedule.

2008-02-01 7:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Just a quick question.

One of my goals for whatever reason is to break 50 min on a 10k. I dont know why but it has been since I started running 8 months ago. I always find my HR spikes in the first 100 yards of a run and takes about 1/2 mile to get back to where it needs to be. so here is the question

Do you do any type of warm up prior to a short race like a 10k? would getting my HR up to 150 before the gun take away some of that crappy feeling of a 190 pulse the first part of the first mile?

It seems that I can not get my first mile much faster than 8:30 because of this and would like it to be closer to 7:25 or so.... after my HR comes down I can seem to hold that pace but before it feels like death!
2008-02-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1190375

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

baggyman - 2008-02-01 5:02 PM Just a quick question. One of my goals for whatever reason is to break 50 min on a 10k. I dont know why but it has been since I started running 8 months ago. I always find my HR spikes in the first 100 yards of a run and takes about 1/2 mile to get back to where it needs to be. so here is the question Do you do any type of warm up prior to a short race like a 10k? would getting my HR up to 150 before the gun take away some of that crappy feeling of a 190 pulse the first part of the first mile? It seems that I can not get my first mile much faster than 8:30 because of this and would like it to be closer to 7:25 or so.... after my HR comes down I can seem to hold that pace but before it feels like death!

When I do open 10k races, I usually do a warmup of about 4-5 miles before the race. 2 or 3 easy followed by some harder efforts with strides thrown in. The idea is to get the legs ready to run.

You don't have to run that far to get warmed up, but that is what does it for me. Maybe just a couple of miles with strides thrown in.

2008-02-01 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1189792

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
kanders - 2008-02-01 12:23 PM

Sorry all, I've had a pretty busy week.  Sick kids, no school due to cold (we're raising a bunch of wusses), and lots of work to make up for the days I missed. 

Best wishes in your race this weekend, Tim, and happy training, everyone!

No worries. Hang in there, life is in session.

Thanks for the well wish with my tuneup race this weekend

2008-02-02 7:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if people did that... if you just start off running hard right away it just doesnt feel good . Ill have to give it a go... 3 miles with strides then hit the starting line is what ill try on my next one

2008-02-03 2:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Just thought I'd interrupt the broadcast to report that you folks have, without a doubt, the finest mentor on BT ... and I do mean finest in every sense.

Good call on joining his group--wise, very wise.

Happy training, all, and Tim--CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! (in advance, but still not enough)

2008-02-06 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1191767

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week: 5 2008

So, how did last week go and how is your training going this week.

As I said last week, we seemed to have lost a few folks from our group. One has gone underground (Logs Hidden) and a few more are just not active. But we also have a good group of very active folks who are getting in some great training this year. (Good Work Everyone)

Question of the Week: Tell us about your post-workout/race recovery routine.

Hope everyone is having a great week

2008-02-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1196930

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week: 5 2008
First off that was a great race report! I like the format of giving a few mile times and then letting us know what is going on in your head. Fantastic race, great pace, CONGRATZ.... only can someone in my shoes dream to run that quick in a 1/2 mary.

This week went swimmingly.... really it did. I have started following the 20 week beginner plan for the IM and so far so good. I do tweak it and add some distances or faster speeds because I think I am in a bit better shape than who the plan was written for but it provides a decent foundation that I can work off of.

Just want to say it here.... My 100y swim times are now Finally under 2:00. I can hold steady repeats (10 or better) of 1:44 - 1:50 with 15 seconds rest. So I am a happy camper for that. I had a couple fun runs with one that I paced out 3 miles under 8:00/mile and the others were just over 8:00. (was a bit sore after that one) Only suck part is that I am still stitting on the fricking trainer. But I can get up close to 2:00 now with burning my eyes out with a hot butter knife. But I really want to get on the road~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a race on the 17th of this month.. small sprint and I am still looking at that week to figure out my training schedule. My goals for that race, it being a local race not many people that are fast show up, so I hope these are doable. You can all laugh at me when I come back and tell you that I blew every goal i set

1. Finish in <1:10 (200yard swim (4:00), 10.5mile bike (29:00), 3.7mile run (29:00)
2. Finish top 3% age group
3. Finish top 10% over all

Well I am out... hope all training is going well....
2008-02-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1196930

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Week: 5 2008
WEEK #4: My resolve was tested this week in that at my normal weigh in, I ended up gaining 2.8 lbs. As anger and frustration began to course through my veins, I was really trying to understand what went wrong. I know that in any exercise regimen, one tends to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. This can throw off a true weight loss measurement. I would like to think that I gained some muscle mass and that is the main reason for the weight gain. I can understand that happening if I was working with free weights. I'm not sure if the same goes for just running for a 1/2 hour 3 times a week!
This setback was really eating me inside. It difficult not to be hard on yourself when this happens. I've gotten over it now and I'm just trudging forward. I 'm actually contemplating starting up a weight training program to compliment the running. Anyway, I haven't givin up on my goals even though it's getting tough to run for any leangth of time. I'm just impatient and want to conquer the world in one day. That's just something I have to deal with.
This week was a definate learning experience. In retrospect, temporary setbacks are good in that they really force you to be critical about the choices you make and the actions you take because they have an absolute impact in the end. Let's see if I can make strides this week and actually break the 300 lbs. barrier!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14