BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-01-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1173438

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - Temporarily RE-OPENING to recruit additional peeps
Birkierunner - 2008-01-24 6:41 AM

If things work out, I'm planning to be a pacer for someone in the 2008 race so that I can at least get to see the last 36 miles of the race course. 

What shoes do you use for ultra trail races?  I've been looking at the Montrail Hardrocks and the Montrail Continental Divides.

Pacing someone is an excellent idea.

As far as running shoes for ultras. My first couple I ran in road shoes becuase I could not find a trail shoe that worked well. I have been running in New Balance Trail shoes. The NB872 model has been good to me. I just got a different model that I really like, but can't remember the number. I did try the Montrail Hardrocks but they did not work well for me. I think that they were too stiff and ended up giving me blisters. From what I have read, it seems like people either really like the Hardrocks or don't. If you like a stiff shoe, you will probably like them. I would just recommend to find a shoe that works for you, because a 100 miles is a long way to go with a shoe that has issues.

2008-01-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1172818

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - Temporarily RE-OPENING to recruit additional peeps
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Welcome msg, loaded some Album pics - few more to come shortly
Regarding HIM early season there are couple of reasons for this:

1. I better perform in Cold weather vs. Hot and Humid
2. Entering my 4th year of racing I should be able to finish and hopefully PR Sub 6 though the course is Rolling Hills with 650” Elevation
3. Part of the prep includes 10 Miler May 4 and Sprint Tria May 24 which is a week before HIM
4. Have > 18 weeks to prep
5. Schedule includes 2 x OLY' Jun - Jul
6. Half and Full Marathon between Sept - Nov

If still u think it's too aggressive I'm open to listen for the reasons and though I already signed up but can change it

Cheers, Z.
2008-01-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1173261

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Todd,

Double click on the pic which should open it with Microsoft ofc Pic Manager > select Edit Pictures from the tool bar > Select Compress Picture > select Compress to Web pages > select OK > Save
LMK if it worked

Zvika
2008-01-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1173765

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Thanks Zvika!

I’ll give it a try when I get home tonight. By the way, what is free style fishing?
2008-01-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1173731

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

zsela - 2008-01-24 9:29 AM Hi Jim, Thanks for the Welcome msg, loaded some Album pics - few more to come shortly 

Hey, I swam at that beach at Acadia when I was an undergrad at U of Maine.  We did it in April though - just a bit chilly!!  I think we ran into the water and immediately ran back out.  I don't even think alcohol was involved. 

Sounds like you have a good strategy for the HIM...just was wondering about your schedule.

2008-01-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1173940

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Spear fishing w/o scuba gear - this is the closest description I could find

Bringing the right equipment is essential to catching fish. The most basic equipment needed for a dive is a mask, a snorkel, some fins, a dive bag, and a three-prong spear. This is what a casual free diver may use to get a meal. With these five essential accessories a diver can catch almost any fish from the size of his hand to about three feet long. Anything bigger than that may give the diver some problems, as the fish tend to squirm a lot after being shot. In many cases, if a diver shoots a bigger fish and doesn’t kill it instantly the fish will twist its way off of the spear and get away

2008-01-24 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1173966

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Jim and Team,

Can you pls review and advise if the following plan I use can bring me to sub 6h in HIM 6/1/08

• Mon - Swim 45+ minutes
• Tue - Spin 1:10 h
• Wed - Speed/Hills Run + Short Swim (Optional) 1:10 h
• Thu - Spin 1:10 h
• Fri - Intervals Run + Short Swim 1:10 h
• Sat - Day Off
• Sun - Triathlon 2+ h building it up to 4+ in Apr-May

Total weekly hours - 7-8 h
Weekly Run 12+ Mile (still recovering from Ankles Injury), plan to go up to 35+
Weekly Bike ~75 Miles, plan to go up to 100+
Swim - TBD

Thanks, Z.
2008-01-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1174196

User image

Pro

Z

I'm not a coach, but here are my first impressions:

1. Too much high intensity running. Speed/hills on Tues and intervals on Fri is too much intensity if combined with a tri on Sunday.  If you're going to be racing a HIM you really need to have run sessions done longer and at a lower intensity.  You need to have a high percentage of aerobic run training rather than a high percentage of anaerobic.

2. Not enough swimming sessions.  Looks like you have a 45 min, a short swim, and the tri swim on Sun.   Describe what you mean as the short swim on Wed?  If you make it optional you are potentially only swimming 2x/week which is not enough.  You really need to swim at least 3x and preferably 4x/week if possible.  45 minutes is on the short side of a good session.  Shoot for 60+ minutes.

3. What do you mean 2+ hour tri on Sund building to 4?  Is this a training session where you do all 3 s/b/r??   

4. Clearly not enough biking.  Describe what you mean by a 1:10 "spin" on Tues.  70 minutes is not very long for a bike session, especially when training for a 56 mile bike segment for a HIM.  So, if it is a short session it should be of higher intensity.  But you also need to get those longer, lower intensity bikes in to get used to a long time in the saddle.

5. 7-8 hours is not very much for HIM training.  If you are trying to break 6 hours for a race, but barely do that much for a week of training your goal is not very realistic.  I would try to get closer to 10 hours/week if possible and trying to get in at least 3 sessions per discipline per week.  That may mean run early am and swim or bike in pm, etc.

Its great that you have sat down and put a training template on paper.  Not enough people do that.  I hope I'm not being overly harsh with my comments, but those are my initial impressions.

2008-01-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1174247

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hi Jim,

Thanks for a great feedback, I definitely will incorporate:

• More and longer swim sessions
• Longer Bike rides
• Less intensity Run Aerobic vs. Anaerobic
• 10+ hours weekly

Q&A - What do you mean 2+ hour tri on Sound building to 4? Is this a training session where you do all 3 s/b/r?? Z>>> Yes, it's a session where I do all 3 s/b/r

2008-01-24 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1104567

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Welcome Bill  ( a couple ultras this year??  WOW!!!!)and Zvika (how would I go about pronouncing that? )

So those of you who have done marathons (and more) what did you do for nutrition?  Use whats on the course- carry your own- Gus and water?- sports drink? and how many calories did you take in- did you have a plan (nutritionwise)- did you stick to your plan?

I figure (from the infinite website) I am using 90 cal per mile- at a 9:00 mile pace so about 600/hour.  How much of this should I be trying to replace?

I have a 20 miler this Sunday and another in 2 weeks.  I think this Sunday I am going to try my gels and water only maybe every 45 minutes.  I know on my last 20 miler I didnt take in near enough.  I think maybe on the next 20 miler I am going to rty using GE only (thats what will be on the IM course I believe- so I should figure out now if I like ot or not.)

what do you all think??

Tammy

2008-01-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1175057

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
and there was a run...finally some running w/o much discomfort.  will still play it safe.

2008-01-24 9:14 PM

Veteran
tripletmom01 - 2008-01-24 7:22 PM

Welcome Bill ( a couple ultras this year?? WOW!!!!)and Zvika (how would I go about pronouncing that? )

So those of you who have done marathons (and more) what did you do for nutrition? Use whats on the course- carry your own- Gus and water?- sports drink? and how many calories did you take in- did you have a plan (nutritionwise)- did you stick to your plan?

I figure (from the infinite website) I am using 90 cal per mile- at a 9:00 mile pace so about 600/hour. How much of this should I be trying to replace?

I have a 20 miler this Sunday and another in 2 weeks. I think this Sunday I am going to try my gels and water only maybe every 45 minutes. I know on my last 20 miler I didnt take in near enough. I think maybe on the next 20 miler I am going to rty using GE only (thats what will be on the IM course I believe- so I should figure out now if I like ot or not.)

what do you all think??

Tammy

Hi Tammy! For a marathon I will typically take around one gel an hour. I am a big fan of Hammer Gel and other long-chain type sugar based gels. I usually do not drink the sports drinks because usually it is made with simple sugars. Some people (me) get stomach distress when mixing simple and complex sugars. From what I have read the the average person is only able to digest around 200-300 calories per hour. So I would think that taking a gel every 45 minutes would be a good place to start at. Make sure that you drink enough water.

Do you take electrolytes at all? Depending on the weather conditions and how much salt you lose, you may want to take some for a marathon distance race.

What does "GE" stand for?
2008-01-24 9:15 PM

Veteran
I went swimming this evening. During my swim I got a cramp in my calf. It was so bad that I had to stop and work it out. Is there any trick for dealing with a leg cramp while swimming?
2008-01-24 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
on long group runs we take Gu every 40-45 Minutes
2008-01-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1175080

User image

Pro

CoachH - 2008-01-24 8:38 PM and there was a run...finally some running w/o much discomfort.  will still play it safe.

baby steps   take it slow, no need to rush

2008-01-24 9:21 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

GE- is Gatorade Endurance ( that is on the IM course- right  Jim?)

I have taken endurolytes for my HIM- but havent really thought about it in the winter- maybe an idea.

I do love Rasberry Hammer gel...mmmmm

Thanks

2008-01-24 9:23 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Bill - I used to get cramps when I swam a lot- but the more I swam the lessI got them.  Sorry no help- huh?
2008-01-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1175137

User image

Pro
tripletmom01 - 2008-01-24 9:21 PM

GE- is Gatorade Endurance ( that is on the IM course- right  Jim?)

Yep

2008-01-24 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1175137

Veteran
tripletmom01 - 2008-01-24 8:21 PM

GE- is Gatorade Endurance ( that is on the IM course- right Jim?)

I have taken endurolytes for my HIM- but havent really thought about it in the winter- maybe an idea.

I do love Rasberry Hammer gel...mmmmm

Thanks

Just looked up the formula for GE. It has sucrose, glucose, and fructose, which are all simple sugars. I guess that for a marathon, it is short enough that mixing sugars is probably not an issue. In the first couple of 100 miles races that I ran, I had some major stomach issues. Once I watched what I was eating and did not mix complex and simple sugars I have not really had any major stomach issues. Of course I really did not know what I was doing then, so perhaps it was just something else that I fixed.......

For a winter marathon, you may not need any extra electrolytes. But if it happens to be warmer than you are expecting, then you may want to consider a couple of capsules.

The Raspberry is the best. I also like the espresso and to a lesser extent the vanilla.
2008-01-25 5:26 AM

User image

Veteran
As my HIM gets closer each day, I am really starting to focus on my race nutrition. I have been training with accelerade, but my coach suggests I use Infinite. All other products (gels,etc..) are from Hammer. Any feedback on Infinite would be great.
2008-01-25 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1175356

User image

Pro

opiejoe - 2008-01-25 5:26 AM As my HIM gets closer each day, I am really starting to focus on my race nutrition. I have been training with accelerade, but my coach suggests I use Infinite. All other products (gels,etc..) are from Hammer. Any feedback on Infinite would be great.

Do you know what the race is providing at aid stations?   I've used Infinit the past 2 years and like it.  It has more calories (complex) than Gatorade Endurance that IM serves, which makes it easier to get the 300-500 cals/hr that you should be taking on the bike.  You can create your own custom mix on their website.

2008-01-25 6:50 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
so how did you mix or bring your inifinte on the IM course?
2008-01-25 9:32 AM

Veteran
So I was on the Infinit web site checking out their products and it looks like their drink is a combination of simple and complex carbs. They claim that you can actually get more calories by having a mixture of the two sugars, contradicting what Hammer says. If you are interested there is good stuff on both web sites. Check out:

Look under the Carbohydrate slider section:
http://www.infinitnutrition.us/information/glossary.asp

Hammer's explanation of not mixing simple and complex sugars:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=2900&...

So for those of you who have used Infinit, my question is what blend do you purchase and do you use it for both your race and training? They had different blends depending on the time/distance of the race. But most training is done at a much shorter time/distance.

This discussion is good stuff and I am learning a lot. Thanks!

Anyone up to anything exciting this weekend?
2008-01-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1175387

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
BIll & Zvika, welcome to the group!

Tammy, when I ran Disney 2 weeks ago I didn't take in nearly as many calories as I did at Vegas the prior year.

At Vegas, I took in too much fluids and calories: 4 gels & sports drink at most aid stations. I had to stop and pee twice during the race. The temps were in the low 60's with some winds, and was overcast.

At Disney, I took in what was offered on the course: 1 caffeinated gel around mile 10 (Expresso ClifShot), sports drink at most aid station, water at every other, and 1 salt tablet. In hindsight, I should have drank more and taken in more salt. But from a caloric intake perspective, I never felt like I bonked.

Back to your question, I usually train and end up taking what's offered on the course. I usually can stomach a lot of products out there, and prefer not to carry stuff on me (except on the bike for tri's).

Nutrition has been a big puzzle for me, specifically hydration. I did a sweat rate test last summer during lunchtime (high 80's, sunny), and I lost 3.5 lbs in 35 minutes after a run. I'm considered a heavy sweater and don't perform well in the heat (Chris McCormack is in the same camp). I hope to learn more in the next couple of months. I will be visiting Gatorade Institute to help with their research, and dehydration rate and caloric intake will be the focus.
2008-01-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1175702

User image

Pro

billgeist - 2008-01-25 9:32 AM So for those of you who have used Infinit, my question is what blend do you purchase and do you use it for both your race and training? 

Anyone up to anything exciting this weekend?

I use their Ironman Distance formulation with no alteration.  I don't use energy drinks for workouts under 2 hours and only use energy in half ironman and ironman races. Olympics are too short to worry about energy intake (for me anyways   )

Racing a half marathon tomorrow...temps should be in the balmy 20s

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16