BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-06-08 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2908213

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
shmeeg - 2010-06-08 9:21 AM

In your opinion, what's a 'sensible' amount of time to work up to a HIM?

I'm thinking maybe next summer if all goes well. Sealed

I may try an Oly later this year (end of October) and if that goes well either stick with that length, or try to stretch to a HIM next summer.  I sort of think the HIM distance might be more to my liking, as I just don't ever see myself having enough straight up speed to get up to even mid pack in an Oly, whereas the HIM looks more endurance oriented and my body seems a little more geared for that (I know on my long runs lately, I start feeling good right around 5 miles).

That's a REALLY long swim though...  definately the part that concerns me the most.  As I was getting out of the lake last weekend I was thinking about that.  I'd have to do the whole swim again for an Oly, and a third time for a HIM!  Daunting...

2010-06-08 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

My first HIM will be next month. I've been using a 20 week training plan. If I had followed the plan exactly, I think I'd feel over-prepared right now. Think of 20 weeks as a SUPER conservative upper limit. I'd say 12 weeks would be a good lower limit if you're starting with a good base already. I guess it depends on if you're racing or just there to finish.

Regarding the swim - it's really not that much longer than an Oly swim (1931 meters vs. 1500 meters). Considering the bike and run legs more than double when you jump from Oly to HIM, the HIM definitely favors running and cycling.
2010-06-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

Anyone ever considered doing one? If so, which race would you want to do?
2010-06-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2908810

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dhopman - 2010-06-08 2:07 PM

I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

My original goal over the winter was to do a HIM by end of this year and an IM next. If I did one I would try to get into the Wisconsin IM.

I'm unsure my goal is attainable at this point. I think I could make it through the HIM, but I think I'd be at the 6 hour mark. I'm not sure I want to do it unless I can be around 5 hours.
2010-06-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2905392

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
shmeeg - 2010-06-06 12:45 PM Guys, I have some terrible news.  I hadn't seen Mark around lately so I sent him a PM yesterday.  His oldest daughter was killed in a car crash last week.  Please keep him and his family in your thoughts during this tragic time.

Absolutely horrible. God Bless, Mark... 
2010-06-08 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
dhopman - 2010-06-07 3:07 PM I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

I'm setting a goal to do a HIM year after next. I haven't done a lot of research, but I will make sure it's one with a cooler climate. 

2010-06-08 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2908794

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-06-08 12:03 PM
Regarding the swim - it's really not that much longer than an Oly swim (1931 meters vs. 1500 meters). Considering the bike and run legs more than double when you jump from Oly to HIM, the HIM definitely favors running and cycling.

Cool, I didn't even think of it that way.  I just had that 1.2 mile idea in my head and assumed it would be much longer w/o checking the distance in meters.  Sounds much more palatable the way you put it.
2010-06-08 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-06-08 12:07 PM I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

Once, yes.  I think everyone who catches a glimpse of Kona on TV says 'That would be cool to do' in their head.  I don't think I'd want to put in the amount of training time required for a full IM.  I'd love to do the race, but to what end though?  Will ANY distance ever be enough for an endurance athlete?  I say no.  And I certainly don't want to attempt an ultraman or some ridiculous 10k swim or anything, so why set myself up for that? :D  The HIM distance just appeals to me so much more for some reason. 
2010-06-08 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2908857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Meulen - 2010-06-08 12:19 PM
dhopman - 2010-06-08 2:07 PM I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

My original goal over the winter was to do a HIM by end of this year and an IM next. If I did one I would try to get into the Wisconsin IM. I'm unsure my goal is attainable at this point. I think I could make it through the HIM, but I think I'd be at the 6 hour mark. I'm not sure I want to do it unless I can be around 5 hours.

5 hours is really fast! I think I'll be lucky to do my HIM under 6. That's my target but the heat is a big unknown.
2010-06-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2908028

User image

Expert
Canada
norcal_SAHD - 2010-06-08 11:58 AM I'm not sure what to do this week.  My side/back still hurts a lot, I don't think I want to run this week.  I'm thinking maybe just a few short bike rides on the rollers, and a LOT of stretching.  I don't think I'll be able to make it to a pool this week, otherwise I'd love to do some swimming.  This is the last week of school, lots of stuff going on all day long every day.

AFter this week, I've got four weeks till my next tri which is the exact same race I just did.  I'd like to beat my time!  I think my best chance is to focus on the bike for a few weeks and see if I can pick up some time there.  Realistically this week will be a rest week, then I'll have three weeks of training available, then the week leading up to the race will be light training again.  Is 4 weeks enough to see real improvements, or will I just be maintaining what I've got?

I think you can make gains, but be realistic!  Some gains may be fitness, others may be improved bike handling skills.  It all helps & all requires saddle time.
2010-06-08 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2908857

User image

Expert
Canada
Meulen - 2010-06-08 4:19 PM
dhopman - 2010-06-08 2:07 PM I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

My original goal over the winter was to do a HIM by end of this year and an IM next. If I did one I would try to get into the Wisconsin IM. I'm unsure my goal is attainable at this point. I think I could make it through the HIM, but I think I'd be at the 6 hour mark. I'm not sure I want to do it unless I can be around 5 hours.

5 hours is fast!!! 

Latest Kansas Half Iron...

8th fastest female was 4:58

1.2 mile swim...37:37
56 mi bike...2:35:45
13.1 mi run...1:43:00

You had better start running & cycling & stop doing resistance exercises!!!

WinkUndecidedInnocent

PS.  6 hours for a 1st Half Iron would probably be do-able many with good fitness...trying not to break any bubbles, but being the voice of reasonInnocent

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-06-08 6:30 PM

2010-06-08 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2909506

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 6:17 PM

Meulen - 2010-06-08 4:19 PM

5 hours is fast!!! 

Latest Kansas Half Iron...

8th fastest female was 4:58

1.2 mile swim...37:37
56 mi bike...2:35:45
13.1 mi run...1:43:00

You had better start running & cycling & stop doing resistance exercises!!!

WinkUndecidedInnocent

PS.  6 hours for a 1st Half Iron would probably be do-able many with good fitness...trying not to break any bubbles, but being the voice of reasonInnocent

alright.... Maybe I'm being unrealistic. But why you gotta keep dissin' my resistance training? Lol. I only lift 2x a week. The rest is core exercises. If you think I should be steppig up my swim/bike/run I can appreciate that. I strength train because I like it. To be honest it fills the time I have to wait for the train after work. I could run on treadmill or ride an execise bike in place of that but I get bored on those. I'd rather do that outside at home. What harm is my resistance trainng doing?
2010-06-08 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2909571

User image

Expert
Canada
alright.... Maybe I'm being unrealistic. But why you gotta keep dissin' my resistance training? Lol. I only lift 2x a week. The rest is core exercises. If you think I should be steppig up my swim/bike/run I can appreciate that. I strength train because I like it. To be honest it fills the time I have to wait for the train after work. I could run on treadmill or ride an execise bike in place of that but I get bored on those. I'd rather do that outside at home. What harm is my resistance trainng doing?

Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing resistance training.  It is great for all around fitness, makes you stronger, etc.  I did resistance training for a number of years, including when I played competitive basketball.  I liked it & still do.  I will often do some during off season, especially core stuff.

...but if you want to want to excel at a sport & be fast, it is specific.  If you want to run fast, you have to run.  If you want to cycle fast, you have to cycle, not do bicep curls.  It is just a matter of priority.  If you want to finish a Tri, go for it.  It want to finish "respectably" you an do some lifting.  If want to be fast & on podium, them you need sport specific repitition.  You need to be lean, basically a big heart, lungs & a untiring set of legs!

This just my opinion & not meant as a sign of disrespect.

EmbarassedInnocent

*Goes back to the back row of the class*

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-06-08 7:42 PM
2010-06-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2909605

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 7:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing resistance training.  It is great for all around fitness, makes you stronger, etc.

...but if you want to want to excel at a sport & be fast, it is specific.  If you want to run fast, you have to run.  If you want to cycle fast, you have to cycle, not do bicep curls.  It is just a matter of priority.  If you want to finish a Tri, go for it.  It want to finish "respectably" you an do some lifting.  If want to be fast & on podium, them you need sport specific repitition.  You need to be lean, basically a big heart, lungs & a untiring set of legs!

EmbarassedInnocent

please don't take that the wrong way. I'm honstly asking you're opinion. To be be honst I have been on the fence on weather or not it's helping or hurting me. I'm not sure yet if I have to give up resistance to add more bike run and swim. Right now I'm running all I an under the 10% rule with exception of race weeks. I put in pretty good time on the bike and I can't get to a pool in the time slots that I resistance train. So it's not a time thing. I'm also convinced my legs are stronger for hill climbs, my back triceceps and chest are stronger for swimming and my core strength has improved greatly from resistance training. All of that so far has been positive for me. Especially the core training. That's helped my balance in the water and seems to keep me more balanced running and biking when I'm gassed. I was just curious as to what you thought was holding me back with the resistance training as long as I don't give up time on the tri sports to do it?
2010-06-08 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2909652

User image

Expert
Canada
Meulen - 2010-06-08 9:47 PM
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 7:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing resistance training.  It is great for all around fitness, makes you stronger, etc.

EmbarassedInnocent

please don't take that the wrong way. I'm honstly asking you're opinion. To be be honst I have been on the fence on weather or not it's helping or hurting me. I'm not sure yet if I have to give up resistance to add more bike run and swim. Right now I'm running all I an under the 10% rule with exception of race weeks. I put in pretty good time on the bike and I can't get to a pool in the time slots that I resistance train. So it's not a time thing. I'm also convinced my legs are stronger for hill climbs, my back triceceps and chest are stronger for swimming and my core strength has improved greatly from resistance training. All of that so far has been positive for me. Especially the core training. That's helped my balance in the water and seems to keep me more balanced running and biking when I'm gassed. I was just curious as to what you thought was holding me back with the resistance training as long as I don't give up time on the tri sports to do it?

Firstly, I am not a coach, so take what I say, with a "grain of salt".

The benefits you describe are real & undisputable.  I think that they are best done in off season, though.  You have a race in 2 months.  Fine tuning your runs is important.  Need to make sure you don't miss any.  Same thing for bike.   For time spent, this is best bang for the buck right now.  Race season!  I am not a swim expert, in fact I am down right dreadful, but the same applies.  If I had a choice, I would do resistance only after I got my required S/R/B in.  If your legs are too sore to do he S/B/R, because of the weights, then you miss the benefit of the sport specific activity that day.  When race season is done, it would be beneficial to work on any deficiencies.  Resistance training helps with this.  It is also a nice change from the rigors of tri-specific training.  If your goals were a HIM in 6 hours in a couple years, it would not matter.  If you want to do a HIM in 5 hours this year or even next year, you may have to ramp it up a bit.

I really can't say anymore, as I don't know your fitness pedigree, base fitness, etc.  That would be a coach's job, not mine.  I just speak of common principles, that I see & hear over & over again.

I looked at your logs & you seem to be going for a run every 2nd day & a bike ride every 2nd or 3rd & resistance twice a weekish?  So you are making most of your run/bike goals, but I would not sacrifice them for resistance.  

Anyway, never know where a comment will take you in a thread...good discussion!!

R

PS.  Do you have a specific workout plan?  Are you using a BT training plan, etc.?  Or are you just doing what you can.  Just curious.  Some people do better with specific plans & some do better free-lance.

2010-06-08 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2908028

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-06-08 7:58 AM 

Is 4 weeks enough to see real improvements, or will I just be maintaining what I've got?

In my opinion, no.  Basically, you can build on your training and work on technique, but your not going to see huge aerobic gains in a three week period.  I think your biggest gains will come from experience and confidence, especially after having such a nice open water swim.

Instead of worry about building base, I would be thinking of where you had trouble in the recent race and work on these areas. 

2010-06-08 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

For me, it has always been swim dependent.  I've always felt very confident that could do the bike and run, but the swim held me back.  This year will be my first HIM.  Next year, I might make the leap for an Ironman.
2010-06-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2908596

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-06-08 11:11 AM

I may try an Oly later this year (end of October) and if that goes well either stick with that length, or try to stretch to a HIM next summer.
QUOTE]

David, do the Tri for Real Oly in August.  I think the course would be perfect for a first try at an olympic.
2010-06-08 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-06-08 12:07 PM I'm actually thinking of doing an Ironman next year. If my HIM goes well, and my first Marathon in October goes well, I'll definitely have the itch.

I'm thinking about either IM Arizona or IM St. George next year or the year after.

Also, I'm hoping to be ready for the CIM in December for my first marathon.
2010-06-09 12:42 AM
in reply to: #2909808

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Anybody know where to go for a quality lonnnnng term training plan?  I'm committing myself to doing a late season 2011 HIM.  I'm SOL on any sort of real swim training after the pools close for the season in the fall and they don't open before May here, so an early season race next year is out of the question.  And I think I need at least a year of swimming before I try to cover any significant distance.  Do I shell out $ for a 'coach' online?  Any opinions on Endurance Nation?  They're about the only racket I can think of off the top of my head that produces plans that might work for 15-18 months out.

2010-06-09 12:45 AM
in reply to: #2909808

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-06-08 7:09 PM

Also, I'm hoping to be ready for the CIM in December for my first marathon.

The wife just signed us up for a September 1/2 today down at Pendleton.  She's in redemption mode and thinks we're gonna break 2 hours Laughing  Not this nigga right here!

2010-06-09 4:48 AM
in reply to: #2910018

User image

Expert
Canada
shmeeg - 2010-06-09 2:42 AM

Anybody know where to go for a quality lonnnnng term training plan?  I'm committing myself to doing a late season 2011 HIM.  I'm SOL on any sort of real swim training after the pools close for the season in the fall and they don't open before May here, so an early season race next year is out of the question.  And I think I need at least a year of swimming before I try to cover any significant distance.  Do I shell out $ for a 'coach' online?  Any opinions on Endurance Nation?  They're about the only racket I can think of off the top of my head that produces plans that might work for 15-18 months out.

I don't know of any this long.  I would find it hard to stick with a plan this long, as so much can happen.  I think doing blocks of 3-6 months & reevaluation & starting again works well.  Doing training cycles, with periodization.  You will eventually get there.  Throwing in races along the way, to gauge fitness.

Some of the races could be planned well in advance to keep you honest & give goals that you want to meet in preparation.

There are many 3-4 months training plans on BT & other sources that you could use.  These could be tweeked as you go.  

If you don't like to plan these things yourself, I am sure a coach would help you.  I expect they would structure a similar routine, though.

The BT "Gold membership" includes "unlimited online coaching support".  Not sure how good it is but seems economical at $85 for 6 months

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-06-09 4:52 AM
2010-06-09 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2909704

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 8:13 PM

Do you have a specific workout plan?  Are you using a BT training plan, etc.?  Or are you just doing what you can.  Just curious.  Some people do better with specific plans & some do better free-lance.

I free-lance. Basically, I try to run/bike/swim 2-3 per week. I try to get shorter efforts in during the week and long runs/bikes on the weekend, with exceptions of race weeks. I am just now learning to adjust RPE according to what phase of periodization I should be in. Although, admittedly, going on group rides and out with friends can sometimes change the efforts I'm supposed to put out. If I look at the outcome of my free-lancing, overall, it looks very similar to most plans out there. I just adjust what disciplines I do where during the week, in my own way, to fit my life schedule and keep balance.
2010-06-09 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2910253

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-06-09 5:39 AM
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 8:13 PM  Do you have a specific workout plan?  Are you using a BT training plan, etc.?  Or are you just doing what you can.  Just curious.  Some people do better with specific plans & some do better free-lance.

I free-lance. Basically, I try to run/bike/swim 2-3 per week. I try to get shorter efforts in during the week and long runs/bikes on the weekend, with exceptions of race weeks. I am just now learning to adjust RPE according to what phase of periodization I should be in. Although, admittedly, going on group rides and out with friends can sometimes change the efforts I'm supposed to put out. If I look at the outcome of my free-lancing, overall, it looks very similar to most plans out there. I just adjust what disciplines I do where during the week, in my own way, to fit my life schedule and keep balance.

Yeah, but this keeps it fun. This is suppose to be fun, right?  I'll get caught up in the training regime, then go on a group ride on the trails and it puts everything back into perspective for me.

Sure, there is a need for specificity of training.  But, I don't stress over missing a session here or there.  I would rather get the volume accomplished, have fun, and take care of the specific training when I can't get others to join me.

Whatever your doing, it has been working.  You've made some nice gains in a short amount of time.  Keep it up.
2010-06-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2910367

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 8:21 AM

Meulen - 2010-06-09 5:39 AM
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 8:13 PM  Do you have a specific workout plan?  Are you using a BT training plan, etc.?  Or are you just doing what you can.  Just curious.  Some people do better with specific plans & some do better free-lance.

Yeah, but this keeps it fun. This is suppose to be fun, right?  I'll get caught up in the training regime, then go on a group ride on the trails and it puts everything back into perspective for me.

Sure, there is a need for specificity of training.  But, I don't stress over missing a session here or there.  I would rather get the volume accomplished, have fun, and take care of the specific training when I can't get others to join me.

Whatever your doing, it has been working.  You've made some nice gains in a short amount of time.  Keep it up.

Absolutely!!!, good perspective. Thanks Tim
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108