BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-21 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Regular
Denver
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

::: Whispering ::: Everybody...

Today is Kathleen Kellams Birthday!!! 

I think we need to celebrate!  Cool

2013-04-22 4:23 AM
in reply to: #4709089

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-21 5:52 PM

Well, I made it through my slightly chilly bike leg with no problems.  I left my swim cap on and put on a thick bike jersey in T1, also put toe covers on my bike shoes.  None of which I had ever practiced with before, but hey, isn't that what you're supposed to do?  Try new things at races? 

I had a fun race, parts of it felt really good, a few parts I had trouble finding my rhythm.  I felt like I made a lot of silly little mistakes.  Fumbled with the zipper on my jersey, my hat blew off not once but TWICE, etc. etc.  When everything was done I finished second in my age group and 5th overall, which is about where I was last year, but having trained so hard all winter I was hoping for a little bit better.  On closer inspection, however, only 70 seconds separated me from my friend who finished 2nd overall.  So I think with cleaner transitions, and minus the stagger start where you can't really chase your competition, I could probably do a little better.  

And there just happens to be another sprint race in my town next weekend...Hello, spring!!!

Nice race!! Congrats on the podium finish in your AG!!

2013-04-22 4:23 AM
in reply to: #4709398

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2013-04-21 11:25 PM

Happy Birthday Kathleen!!

2013-04-23 4:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Signs of spring finally!  Hope it sticks. 

Easy spin is all today for me before building back into the weekend.  How is everyone else doing?  We had a couple of other racers this past weekend, how did it go?

My race was fun, with some good friends to relay with.  But it is a long day in a mini van.  It took us a little over 12 hours to cover the 77.7 miles.  I was happy with my pace for my 3 segments totaling about 12.6 miles.  Gives me hope for a PR at this weekends HM.

2013-04-23 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4711016

User image

Regular
Denver
KenJ - Nice work this weekend on your race. Not sure I could spend that kind of time in a minivan!Motivation escapes me! My main focus has been to reduce my calorie intake so that I can lose a few pounds. Ironman Mont-Tremblant will be unforgiving as is my run pace if I don't tighten things up around the waist.
2013-04-23 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
kenj - 2013-04-23 5:40 AM

Easy spin is all today for me before building back into the weekend.  How is everyone else doing?  We had a couple of other racers this past weekend, how did it go?

My race was fun, with some good friends to relay with.  But it is a long day in a mini van.  It took us a little over 12 hours to cover the 77.7 miles.  I was happy with my pace for my 3 segments totaling about 12.6 miles.  Gives me hope for a PR at this weekends HM.

Great job. I have a few friends that did a similar race last year and they had a blast...

2013-04-23 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4711120

User image

Veteran
I had a good weekend of training. Last week as a whole I felt very slow and tired. I took and extra day off and it helped. I ran for an hour Saturday at a good phase and did a 57 mile bike ride on Sunday and felt good on Saturday and great on Sunday. The bike ride was very hilly and I managed to feel good throughout the entire ride. This is a recovery week for me and I am looking forward to it...

Does anyone have some advise regarding a run focused week of training? how to approach it, do I mix in some bike time? etc.

Thanks,
2013-04-23 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4711109

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CarlaLThompson - 2013-04-23 8:11 AM KenJ - Nice work this weekend on your race. Not sure I could spend that kind of time in a minivan!Motivation escapes me! My main focus has been to reduce my calorie intake so that I can lose a few pounds. Ironman Mont-Tremblant will be unforgiving as is my run pace if I don't tighten things up around the waist.

Best wishes with the weight loss Carla, it is always a challenge to balance it all. 

2013-04-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4711131

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-04-23 8:26 AM I had a good weekend of training. Last week as a whole I felt very slow and tired. I took and extra day off and it helped. I ran for an hour Saturday at a good phase and did a 57 mile bike ride on Sunday and felt good on Saturday and great on Sunday. The bike ride was very hilly and I managed to feel good throughout the entire ride. This is a recovery week for me and I am looking forward to it... Does anyone have some advise regarding a run focused week of training? how to approach it, do I mix in some bike time? etc. Thanks,

My advice on the run focused week is to be careful.  Running is the easiest of the 3 sports to get injured from increasing mileage to quickly.  Also, keep the pace in check too.  All that aside, I think adding an extra short run or 2 would be the best way. 

2013-04-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4711131

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-04-23 8:26 AM I had a good weekend of training. Last week as a whole I felt very slow and tired. I took and extra day off and it helped. I ran for an hour Saturday at a good phase and did a 57 mile bike ride on Sunday and felt good on Saturday and great on Sunday. The bike ride was very hilly and I managed to feel good throughout the entire ride. This is a recovery week for me and I am looking forward to it... Does anyone have some advise regarding a run focused week of training? how to approach it, do I mix in some bike time? etc. Thanks,

I just went and looked closer at your logs, and if you take the week before last where you had 22 miles and add a 3 or 4 mile easy run to that schedule and may another one too if you are feeling too fatigued. 

2013-04-23 12:40 PM

User image

New user
Happy to report that I had an awesome half ironman this past Sunday! Definitely a confidence-builder (especially after a less-than-stellar Olympic tri last month). This was only my second HIM, and the first was an ocean swim with a flat (but windy) bike and flat run. This weekend was a lake swim, hilly bike and flat (2 loop) run. Similar course to the Oly I did last month, and I was familiar with the extended bike course, too. What I was most nervous about was the swim because I chose not to borrow a wetsuit this time (last month the water was only 69 degrees so I needed it but hated every second of it). The race organizers said Thursday night the water temp read at 82 degrees. Then we had cool, stormy, windy weather blow through. It was 62 degrees and rainy and overcast the morning of the race, and they miraculously got a reading of 77 degrees in the water, which of course meant wetsuit legal. So I was already at a disadvantage since all but 2 other women wore wetsuits, but I was mostly afraid I would be freezing--I was not! That water was definitely warmer than 77 degrees--they must have searched for a cool spot to take the temp.

Anyway, I digress--small field (only 22 women started, not sure how many men). The water was really choppy on the way out, unfavorable current. As usual I saw most of the women swim quickly away from me. But I just kept plugging away, trying to stay on course. I was hoping for a swim time between 35 - 40 minutes (my last half was 50 minutes! but that's because I swam at least 5 minutes off course). I came in at just under 38 minutes, so I guess I should be happy about that. 9 women ahead of me out of the water. On the bike I was afraid that I was pushing too hard, but since I was using this as a training race, I decided to just keep at it and see how my legs felt on the run. I tried really hard to take in a lot of water, PowerBar perform, and Gu. The wind was brutal in parts, but not terrible the whole way. I was trying to get in under 3 hours on the bike and missed that by less than a minute. I was afraid my legs might cramp because my hamstrings were yelling a bit on the bike. I started the run and actually felt okay. Then I started to ramp it up. Only 4 or 5 women ahead of me at that point because I passed a few on the bike. Then I passed number 4...then number 3...I ended up coming in 3rd overall! Had an awesome half marathon time, only 1 minute slower than my PR. So I am thrilled with my performance, nutrition worked pretty well (though it never got that hot--I think it was upper 70s when we finished), and legs were fine. This helps with trusting my training plan, and gives me extra motivation to stick with my daily nutrition plan. The two women who beat me had a lot less body fat than I do, so I know if I continue to work on decreasing fat I can do even better.

IM Louisville will be tough, but I feel more confident now about the bike to run strength in my legs. Woo hoo!

2013-04-23 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Stella work from everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to say i found my novice duathlon quite difficult this weekend. I had my usual 3 wishes:

I wish I'd done all the training as per plan
I wish I'd warmed up prior to the race
I wish i'd gone to the loo just one more time before the start

However, I finished 45 out of 61 finishers which is my highest ever placing for any sort of race ever, and I got a medal and a really yummy cup cake at the end. And I found my desire to do a bit better next time..which is good.

Well done to the rest of you though..awesome, truly. (that was me speaking American).

There is a picture of me staggering over the finish line which I will post if i can work out how to put it on the thread (suggestions gratefully received.)

Jennifer
2013-04-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4712238

User image

Regular
Denver
jennifer65 - 2013-04-23 3:52 PMStella work from everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to say i found my novice duathlon quite difficult this weekend. I had my usual 3 wishes:I wish I'd done all the training as per planI wish I'd warmed up prior to the raceI wish i'd gone to the loo just one more time before the startHowever, I finished 45 out of 61 finishers which is my highest ever placing for any sort of race ever, and I got a medal and a really yummy cup cake at the end. And I found my desire to do a bit better next time..which is good.Well done to the rest of you though..awesome, truly. (that was me speaking American). There is a picture of me staggering over the finish line which I will post if i can work out how to put it on the thread (suggestions gratefully received.)Jennifer
Well done Jennifer - All distances of Triathlon, Sprint to Ironman are challenging! Congrats on your PR and looking forward to your finishers photo! ~Carla
2013-04-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4711796

User image

Regular
Denver
rquinn23 - 2013-04-23 12:40 PMHappy to report that I had an awesome half ironman this past Sunday! Definitely a confidence-builder (especially after a less-than-stellar Olympic tri last month). This was only my second HIM, and the first was an ocean swim with a flat (but windy) bike and flat run. This weekend was a lake swim, hilly bike and flat (2 loop) run. Similar course to the Oly I did last month, and I was familiar with the extended bike course, too. What I was most nervous about was the swim because I chose not to borrow a wetsuit this time (last month the water was only 69 degrees so I needed it but hated every second of it). The race organizers said Thursday night the water temp read at 82 degrees. Then we had cool, stormy, windy weather blow through. It was 62 degrees and rainy and overcast the morning of the race, and they miraculously got a reading of 77 degrees in the water, which of course meant wetsuit legal. So I was already at a disadvantage since all but 2 other women wore wetsuits, but I was mostly afraid I would be freezing--I was not! That water was definitely warmer than 77 degrees--they must have searched for a cool spot to take the temp. Anyway, I digress--small field (only 22 women started, not sure how many men). The water was really choppy on the way out, unfavorable current. As usual I saw most of the women swim quickly away from me. But I just kept plugging away, trying to stay on course. I was hoping for a swim time between 35 - 40 minutes (my last half was 50 minutes! but that's because I swam at least 5 minutes off course). I came in at just under 38 minutes, so I guess I should be happy about that. 9 women ahead of me out of the water. On the bike I was afraid that I was pushing too hard, but since I was using this as a training race, I decided to just keep at it and see how my legs felt on the run. I tried really hard to take in a lot of water, PowerBar perform, and Gu. The wind was brutal in parts, but not terrible the whole way. I was trying to get in under 3 hours on the bike and missed that by less than a minute. I was afraid my legs might cramp because my hamstrings were yelling a bit on the bike. I started the run and actually felt okay. Then I started to ramp it up. Only 4 or 5 women ahead of me at that point because I passed a few on the bike. Then I passed number 4...then number 3...I ended up coming in 3rd overall! Had an awesome half marathon time, only 1 minute slower than my PR. So I am thrilled with my performance, nutrition worked pretty well (though it never got that hot--I think it was upper 70s when we finished), and legs were fine. This helps with trusting my training plan, and gives me extra motivation to stick with my daily nutrition plan. The two women who beat me had a lot less body fat than I do, so I know if I continue to work on decreasing fat I can do even better.IM Louisville will be tough, but I feel more confident now about the bike to run strength in my legs. Woo hoo!
Outstanding 3rd Place Finish in your HIM! Nice! Which one was it? I'm joining in the game late, so my apologies!
2013-04-23 4:06 PM

User image

New user
Great job, Jennifer! You should be proud, and just learn from your "wishes" for next time. Well done!

Also, everyone my latest blog post is up...mostly a race recap: http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-week-of-ups-and...

2013-04-23 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Great races Becky & Jennifer!! Looks like training is really paying off.

Yes, I'm back & not lying in a ditch somewhere between here & Texas! It's been crazy busy, but I'm still getting my workouts in. April & May are always so hectic for me, you think I'd learn how to manage them better!

The weather was great in Texas & it was great to get out on my bike, even if the road I had to ride on was less than ideal. The weather is STILL not cooperating this spring (it's only 40 today), so I'm still mostly running inside. I've been able to get out a few times to ride (2 hours is about my limit inside), but it's been really windy. One ride was the worst I've ever had (strong headwind/crosswind out & then it shifted & was a headwind/crosswind back!). I stopped & called my husband about 2 hours in & told him & didn't know when I'd be home! It was the 1st time I saw more people walking w/bikes than riding them(the crosswinds were scary), including a few cyclists!

I'm curious if anyone has tips for riding better in windy conditions? I suck so bad at it! I try & go out regardless, & know it's good for me, but man it's hard.

Trying to catch up on posts & promise not to disappear again. Looks like everyone is doing a good job at plugging along!

2013-04-23 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4706352

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
bdenehy - 2013-04-18 4:20 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-04-18 5:36 PM

I had a 1000 yd TT swim today and am super stoked with the time!  14.04 (7.01, 7.03 500 split)!!!! Fastest time since H.S. 

I am somewhat surprised though as I haven't been focusing on the swim - maybe I am just stronger all around?

Hopefully I will get my bike outside tomorrow or Sat. for the first time as I am itching to see how fast the new bike is - fingers crossed.

Wow Robin, that's smoking fast! I tried not focusing on swimming too, but got way different results....[/QUOTE]

Good one Bill

2013-04-23 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4709467

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2013-04-22 3:23 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2013-04-21 11:25 PM

Happy Birthday Kathleen!!

Thanks you guys    I did a little bit of swimming, biking and running to celebrate. Carla joined me on the bike and run leg.

2013-04-24 1:39 AM

User image

Well done, Becky and Jennifer and Ken!!!
2013-04-24 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4709089

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-21 5:52 PM

Well, I made it through my slightly chilly bike leg with no problems.  I left my swim cap on and put on a thick bike jersey in T1, also put toe covers on my bike shoes.  None of which I had ever practiced with before, but hey, isn't that what you're supposed to do?  Try new things at races? 

I had a fun race, parts of it felt really good, a few parts I had trouble finding my rhythm.  I felt like I made a lot of silly little mistakes.  Fumbled with the zipper on my jersey, my hat blew off not once but TWICE, etc. etc.  When everything was done I finished second in my age group and 5th overall, which is about where I was last year, but having trained so hard all winter I was hoping for a little bit better.  On closer inspection, however, only 70 seconds separated me from my friend who finished 2nd overall.  So I think with cleaner transitions, and minus the stagger start where you can't really chase your competition, I could probably do a little better.  

And there just happens to be another sprint race in my town next weekend...Hello, spring!!!

Great work Jaime! I never would have thought to keep the swim cap on for the bike. I'm definitely stealing that technique if the mornings stay cold when tri season starts here in a few weeks.
2013-04-24 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-04-23 5:40 AM

Glad you had a fun race Ken, and your time was impressive! I predict that your training has you set up to hit many PRs this season. but isnt 77.7 ÷ 7 teammates 11.1 miles each? Someone owes you a cold beverage for picking up the slack....

2013-04-24 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
rquinn23 - 2013-04-23 1:40 PMHappy to report that I had an awesome half ironman this past Sunday! Definitely a confidence-builder (especially after a less-than-stellar Olympic tri last month). This was only my second HIM, and the first was an ocean swim with a flat (but windy) bike and flat run. This weekend was a lake swim, hilly bike and flat (2 loop) run. Similar course to the Oly I did last month, and I was familiar with the extended bike course, too. What I was most nervous about was the swim because I chose not to borrow a wetsuit this time (last month the water was only 69 degrees so I needed it but hated every second of it). The race organizers said Thursday night the water temp read at 82 degrees. Then we had cool, stormy, windy weather blow through. It was 62 degrees and rainy and overcast the morning of the race, and they miraculously got a reading of 77 degrees in the water, which of course meant wetsuit legal. So I was already at a disadvantage since all but 2 other women wore wetsuits, but I was mostly afraid I would be freezing--I was not! That water was definitely warmer than 77 degrees--they must have searched for a cool spot to take the temp. Anyway, I digress--small field (only 22 women started, not sure how many men). The water was really choppy on the way out, unfavorable current. As usual I saw most of the women swim quickly away from me. But I just kept plugging away, trying to stay on course. I was hoping for a swim time between 35 - 40 minutes (my last half was 50 minutes! but that's because I swam at least 5 minutes off course). I came in at just under 38 minutes, so I guess I should be happy about that. 9 women ahead of me out of the water. On the bike I was afraid that I was pushing too hard, but since I was using this as a training race, I decided to just keep at it and see how my legs felt on the run. I tried really hard to take in a lot of water, PowerBar perform, and Gu. The wind was brutal in parts, but not terrible the whole way. I was trying to get in under 3 hours on the bike and missed that by less than a minute. I was afraid my legs might cramp because my hamstrings were yelling a bit on the bike. I started the run and actually felt okay. Then I started to ramp it up. Only 4 or 5 women ahead of me at that point because I passed a few on the bike. Then I passed number 4...then number 3...I ended up coming in 3rd overall! Had an awesome half marathon time, only 1 minute slower than my PR. So I am thrilled with my performance, nutrition worked pretty well (though it never got that hot--I think it was upper 70s when we finished), and legs were fine. This helps with trusting my training plan, and gives me extra motivation to stick with my daily nutrition plan. The two women who beat me had a lot less body fat than I do, so I know if I continue to work on decreasing fat I can do even better.IM Louisville will be tough, but I feel more confident now about the bike to run strength in my legs. Woo hoo!

Fantastic racing Becky! I have the same issue with wetsuit legal races. hate to wear it over high 60's but over the long courses I think its worth the tradeoff. I dont know if it buys me time, but helps keep the legs up, especially in a crowd. It fatigues my shoulders to swim in my full sleeve suit but I'm starting to think its worth the tradeoff. anyway, great podium finish. As you work on the longer ride pacing your going to crush it in Louisville. ..

2013-04-24 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
jennifer65 - 2013-04-23 4:52 PMStella work from everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to say i found my novice duathlon quite difficult this weekend. I had my usual 3 wishes:I wish I'd done all the training as per planI wish I'd warmed up prior to the raceI wish i'd gone to the loo just one more time before the startHowever, I finished 45 out of 61 finishers which is my highest ever placing for any sort of race ever, and I got a medal and a really yummy cup cake at the end. And I found my desire to do a bit better next time..which is good.Well done to the rest of you though..awesome, truly. (that was me speaking American). There is a picture of me staggering over the finish line which I will post if i can work out how to put it on the thread (suggestions gratefully received.)Jennifer

Nice work Jennifer. nothing motivates training like racing... I'm ggetting inspired just hearing about all of the group racing last weekend to get some consistency back...

2013-04-24 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-04-23 1:40 PM Happy to report that I had an awesome half ironman this past Sunday! Definitely a confidence-builder (especially after a less-than-stellar Olympic tri last month). This was only my second HIM, and the first was an ocean swim with a flat (but windy) bike and flat run. This weekend was a lake swim, hilly bike and flat (2 loop) run. Similar course to the Oly I did last month, and I was familiar with the extended bike course, too. What I was most nervous about was the swim because I chose not to borrow a wetsuit this time (last month the water was only 69 degrees so I needed it but hated every second of it). The race organizers said Thursday night the water temp read at 82 degrees. Then we had cool, stormy, windy weather blow through. It was 62 degrees and rainy and overcast the morning of the race, and they miraculously got a reading of 77 degrees in the water, which of course meant wetsuit legal. So I was already at a disadvantage since all but 2 other women wore wetsuits, but I was mostly afraid I would be freezing--I was not! That water was definitely warmer than 77 degrees--they must have searched for a cool spot to take the temp. Anyway, I digress--small field (only 22 women started, not sure how many men). The water was really choppy on the way out, unfavorable current. As usual I saw most of the women swim quickly away from me. But I just kept plugging away, trying to stay on course. I was hoping for a swim time between 35 - 40 minutes (my last half was 50 minutes! but that's because I swam at least 5 minutes off course). I came in at just under 38 minutes, so I guess I should be happy about that. 9 women ahead of me out of the water. On the bike I was afraid that I was pushing too hard, but since I was using this as a training race, I decided to just keep at it and see how my legs felt on the run. I tried really hard to take in a lot of water, PowerBar perform, and Gu. The wind was brutal in parts, but not terrible the whole way. I was trying to get in under 3 hours on the bike and missed that by less than a minute. I was afraid my legs might cramp because my hamstrings were yelling a bit on the bike. I started the run and actually felt okay. Then I started to ramp it up. Only 4 or 5 women ahead of me at that point because I passed a few on the bike. Then I passed number 4...then number 3...I ended up coming in 3rd overall! Had an awesome half marathon time, only 1 minute slower than my PR. So I am thrilled with my performance, nutrition worked pretty well (though it never got that hot--I think it was upper 70s when we finished), and legs were fine. This helps with trusting my training plan, and gives me extra motivation to stick with my daily nutrition plan. The two women who beat me had a lot less body fat than I do, so I know if I continue to work on decreasing fat I can do even better. IM Louisville will be tough, but I feel more confident now about the bike to run strength in my legs. Woo hoo!

Way to go Becky!!  Good way to validate your training!

I am wondering with the goofy weather you have had in Florida if mine and Robins race will be wetsuit legal or not.  I am doubtful it will be, but it has been a strange year. 

2013-04-24 8:02 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer65 - 2013-04-23 4:52 PM Stella work from everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to say i found my novice duathlon quite difficult this weekend. I had my usual 3 wishes: I wish I'd done all the training as per plan I wish I'd warmed up prior to the race I wish i'd gone to the loo just one more time before the start However, I finished 45 out of 61 finishers which is my highest ever placing for any sort of race ever, and I got a medal and a really yummy cup cake at the end. And I found my desire to do a bit better next time..which is good. Well done to the rest of you though..awesome, truly. (that was me speaking American). There is a picture of me staggering over the finish line which I will post if i can work out how to put it on the thread (suggestions gratefully received.) Jennifer

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day!  Take the small consistent improvements and enjoy them.  Learn from your wishes and remember them as you prepare for your next race!  Well done Jennifer!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64