BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-27 7:51 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Blanda, you've got this!!! I think it's understandable to be nervous, but it's all just training and mindset, and you've got both of those!

Update for me, it's been a good week of light training. I've done my swims and got in a good bike session yesterday. Tonight I'm heading out for something new, I'm participating in a 200 mile overnight relay race nearby. I'm on a 10-person team; we start tomorrow at 7am and then get done sometime on Saturday. Two things: I'm looking at about 30 miles total, so here's hoping my foot is ok! Also, the forecast is rain, so I'm thinking it's going to be a bunch of running in the rain! Randy and Jason, Nate and I are doing it, and we have the bulk of the mileage between us, about 60 miles, so no pressure, right? This promises to be a new, and hopefully, positive experience!

I've read a lot of race reports about events like this and people universally rave about how much fun it is. I am a little bit jealous of you getting to do this. Start out conservative so you have a lot left for the last 10 miles. Fuel. Fuel. Fuel. Hydrate. Fuel some more. Keep your legs up as much as possible when you aren't running.

I can't wait to hear all about this.

2014-03-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Ok, here it is. That's right Ziplock extra large. 2 years with this bad boy and still going strong. Nothing screams Rookie like this beauty!

(IMG_0136.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0136.JPG (2268KB - 2 downloads)
2014-03-27 8:12 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Jamie, the relay sounds fun. I really want to do one of those in the next year or so.

Blanda I have great faith in you and your preparation! Focus on the deposits you have made and cash in on that!

Randy, I am doing St Louis a week from Sunday, the 6th. I am really excited!
2014-03-27 11:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Randy- I have several different types of triathlon bags. Basically a different bag for each distance and occasion. 

In state or local races- Zoot triathlon bag to leave in transition

I also have 2 IM (Texas and Florida) that were "freebies" after the race fee.. lol. I've never used them. They live in the closet. 

For out of state travel I have a HUGE Zoot Triathlon backpack which fits in the overhead of most planes. It holds almost everything needed for an Ironman including the aero helmet and wetsuit.. Once I get to the race site a Janzten? cheap zebra backpack is what goes to transition. Mainly because it folds up and fits in a suitcase. 

Jon- Congratulations on the promotion! Enjoy your family. Triathlons aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Randee- when do you start training with your coach? Feeling better today?

Chris- 4:45/mile? Geez that is so fast. Be patient it will be back soon. Oh, I have Hoka's but won't run in them. I like feeling in contact with the ground when I run. I wear my Hoka's to work.

Steve- nice weight loss. Have you noticed any fatigue during your workouts since you cut out wheat?

Blanda- you're going to have a great race! 

Suzy- I was always surprised at how much pushing off the wall could tweak my knee. I finally started only using one leg to push off before and after surgery.

Jamie- have fun! Tell Nate that we said hello. My words of advice for the race- Hand sanitizer and baby wipes. I would also suggest taking your own food or snacks. I ran on a 230 mile relay a few years ago. Several of us got food poisoning during the race. Lets just say that we had to take a lot of Immodium AD to make it through the race.

The coolest part of the race was running down the side of a highway at 2 in the morning with a headlight. It was a blast!

Me-. It looks like we will be swimming  at Galveston after all. I'm feeling a bit flat during my workouts but also hitting the targets. Everything is coming together and shaping up well for next weekend. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-27 11:14 PM
2014-03-28 1:52 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Originally posted by Catwoman

Steve- nice weight loss. Have you noticed any fatigue during your workouts since you cut out wheat?

Rene - The first couple of workouts, yes, I did experience some fatigue issues. But I'm not sure if it was from the lack of wheat as an energy source or just an accumulation of normal fatigue. Every 5-6 weeks, I tend to get dragged down for a while by built-up fatigue . But I've put together some decent workouts during the past 10 days or so. Maybe my body took a while to adjust? I certainly don't miss those extra 5 lbs when I run. I do miss bread though -- I was a bagel boy through and through. But when I read how much fat you can pack on from bagels, I was convinced it was time to let it go...

Randee - I'm assuming "Coach Mike" is Mike Plumb? If so, that's great news. He and I are doing the same event in April -- the Silicon Valley International Triathlon. He's in my age group too, but I'm sure he'll be far, far ahead of me right from the start. Still, it will be pretty cool to race with him.  I've been surprised by how motivating it is to have a coach. It's really helped me focus my effort on the key workouts each week. Before, I didn't really understand the importance of having a purpose for each workout. Also, doing structured workouts tends to make the time pass quicker. You really have to stay focused... I hope it works out well for you!

2014-03-28 10:33 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Kevin - I love your transition bag. Although I don't think I could get all my stuff in there - more power to ya

Yep, Steve, Mike Plumb! I'm psyched. I'm thinking I'd like to start May 1.

Between my work schedule and getting to PT I have very little time for anything else which includes getting to the pool. My runs are restricted until the pain goes away so that's kinda out. I've put on 5lbs PPFFFFTTT (C'mon April 15th!!!!)

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS.....I'm picking up my new bike after work today.......and then it's going to rain tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.

Someone upstairs is seriously messing with me

But at least I have my health :D

Good day all!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-03-28 10:34 AM

2014-03-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Went for my first "fast" run in a lonnnnng time last night. With the winter pounding us non-stop this year I didn't want to risk doing any tempo work on the slippery roads, so I just kept it easy when I could even get outside for a run. My run last night called for: 10' WU w/4 strides at 30", 20' at 5k pace, 10' CD. Since it's been so long since I've done any speed work I simply said to myself that I'd do the strides, see how it felt then do a mile at a strong pace and then evaluate from there. WU felt good, strides felt good, hit the 10' mark and just kind of let it go. I tried not to check the pace on my watch much, just the HR to make sure it wasn't going totally bonkers. Stayed right in my Z3/Z4 area, which was great. Once I hit the mile my watch beeped (have it set to lap every mile) and I ended up doing a 6:32 mile. Woah. Did no expect that. I was figuring somewhere in the 7's just based on past experience. I felt fine but I kind of hit the brakes and finished the next 12 minutes or so at a more relaxed 7:30-8 pace. Even though the mid-6 felt good, I didn't want to go push it too hard on my first pace run in ages. No soreness or anything today, I actually feel nice and loose. I have to check the plan, see when it calls for another pace workout but it was pretty encouraging.
2014-03-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

, North Carolina
Wow... It's been a while since I've been on here!
I've been able to mostly stay up with the conversation, but not been able to participate much... Actually... Most things Tri have dropped from my life the past two weeks or so, but I'm back at it again we had a nasty ice storm right around the time my work schedule changed to nights, and also we moved into our apartment around the same time.

But it has been nice to get out again and start figuring out some new training routes Time to start building intensity for the race season to start I'm excited

Also, on the baby front, my girl is doing fine... I think we have landed on a name too but we need to wait a few more weeks of trying it out before that goes public :p just wanted to torment y'all with that

-Nathan
2014-03-28 3:30 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have the Ogio 8.0 Endurance transition bag. My husband was able to get it through the golf rep which meant it was about half the cost of MSRP. I like it because it has backpack straps and will hold everything including my wetsuit (and the wetsuit part is a separate 'wet compartment' that won't allow the water to seep into the dry compartment where everything else is.

After Augusta 70.3, I had to get my bike out of T2 which was about a mile and a half from the finish (my car was located near the finish). I rode the shuttle to T2, grabbed my crap and rode my bike with my backpack on my back to the car. It was really convenient and well balanced even while riding the 8 minutes to the car. Plus, that meant I actually rode my bike 57.5 miles rather than 56 that day.

On an interesting fitness type note...My school added a 7th period a few years ago that we call "Academic Achievement Period." I have been teaching a remedial reading class for AAP since we began the extra period.

Today, my asst. principal, who knows I also possess a personal trainer certification and a Turbo Kick certification (she used to take my class 3 years ago when I last taught the format), asked if I'd like to teach a cardio kickboxing for a group of 15-18 girls the final 4 1/2 weeks of school. Hell yeah, I would!!!!!!!! I hope it pans out...it's a fun format to teach and I just might be able to convince some girls that exercise can be enjoyable.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-03-28 3:44 PM
2014-03-28 5:46 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

Ok, here it is. That's right Ziplock extra large. 2 years with this bad boy and still going strong. Nothing screams Rookie like this beauty!

Oh, I don't know about that. If you can get everything you need in that bag it might just scream veteran.

A lot of the really fast guys at races bring goggles, two pairs of shoes, a helmet, sunglasses, some liquids and a race belt. A wetsuit slung over their top bar on the bike if the water is cold. Not much else.

I have tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to pare my race bag down to the bare essentials. Limiting myself to a two gallon ziplock would certainly keep the load light.
2014-03-28 6:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

One of the guys on my team, a super fast veteran, brings a "milk crate" to transition with all his stuff in it. Its maybe 18X18X18. I've tried to pare it down over the years but still carry too much "just in case stuff."

Terrible weather here today. Thunderstorms off and on with almost constant thunder in the area. So, no swim at the pool near the office. I leave early, get a haircut, and the weather is marginally better. No thunder. So, I think well I'll go to the pool near the house. No problem getting the swim in....only person in the pool. Only problem is that while the pool near work supplies towels the one near the house does not and I didn't have one. Tough drying off with paper towels but better than having to try to do it with a wall dryer.

Here is a good link on basic bike maintenance tips including adjusting derailleurs:  

http://blog.artscyclery.com/keeping-the-rubber-side-down/7-essential-tips-for-proper-bike-maintenance/

Hoping to get out in the morning if the weather clears for another race specific workout. Put the race wheels on so I can make sure everything is in good working order heading into my first race next weekend.

Edited by slornow 2014-03-28 6:02 PM

2014-03-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master

Completed my last "race" specific brick workout for Galveston today. Felt amazing the entire time which is kind of scary in a way. Now the trick will be to rein myself in for the rest of the weeks workouts.

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my knee surgery. Big difference on the bike from this time last year to today.

Here is a video that my son took the day after surgery last year. My first "ride" back on the roadie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m-U-fKe_MM

2014-03-29 12:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Completed my last "race" specific brick workout for Galveston today. Felt amazing the entire time which is kind of scary in a way. Now the trick will be to rein myself in for the rest of the weeks workouts.

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my knee surgery. Big difference on the bike from this time last year to today.

Here is a video that my son took the day after surgery last year. My first "ride" back on the roadie..

OMG that video looks PAINFUL!!!

So my new bike came home yesterday Pics to come, I promise. For now it's on the trainer in my low light basement so I didn't bother. I rode it for 20 minutes or so today. NO problem staying in aero but OMG the saddle is killing me. Not sure if I need to break in my saddle, the body, or neither. I'll give it a few more tries (adamo TT).

I looked at my summary for March and what a disaster. So Here's looking forward to April!

Back to work. Have a good day/weekend ALL!
2014-03-29 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I'm really glad I went back and reread this post after watching the video.  I thought this was the first day you were allowed to get back on the bike, not the day after you had the surgery and it scared the crap out of me.  It's looking more and more like surgery is going to be the way to go. Kind of wish it was next week,not two weeks from Thursday.

I was told I could start some "riding" 5 days after surgery, but my guess that means some tensionless training.  The general guideline the doc gave me was 5 days to bike, 10 days to swim, and 4 weeks to jog, 6 weeks to run.  I never quite understand a surgeons definition difference between jogging and running.  Is this pretty close to what you heard?

2014-03-29 1:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

So my new bike came home yesterday Pics to come, I promise. For now it's on the trainer in my low light basement so I didn't bother. I rode it for 20 minutes or so today. NO problem staying in aero but OMG the saddle is killing me. Not sure if I need to break in my saddle, the body, or neither. I'll give it a few more tries (adamo TT).

I looked at my summary for March and what a disaster. So Here's looking forward to April!

Back to work. Have a good day/weekend ALL!

Randee...I've never ridden in an Adamo saddle, but from what I've read and heard from others, there's definitely a 'butt break-in period' required.

Be sure you're not sitting too far back in the saddle. The point to the Adamo, I believe, is to sit your seat bones on the two twin noses and not further back on the wide part of the saddle.. Also, some women have issues with the nose of the saddle being too wide, and take a zip tie and pull the nose together a bit.

I had a bit of a giggle today...friend of mine is trying out a new Cobb saddle, called the "JOF." Apparently, it stands for "Junk Off Front." How appropos.
2014-03-29 3:24 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

I agree that looks painful. Kudos on a great comeback! I skipped last nights run due to the rain and a better offer from TOWKA. I ended up skipping a bike workout last weekend and didn't want a repeat of that this weekend. So I did the TOWKA's 8 mile long run with her this a.m., rehydrated, had some food,and jumped on the trainer for 90 minutes of intervals. Now it's time for a nap.

2014-03-29 4:50 PM

User image

Master

Suzy- sorry I didn't mean to scare you. 

My surgeon starts everyone back at PT the day after surgery. 5 days at the hospital with his physical therapist. Between PT and the ice machine things progressed fairly quickly. Regardless of what the doctor says you need to insist on an ice machine. It makes such a big difference. 

I was back in the pool as soon as the stitches were out. On the bike day after but for very short time periods and without any tension. Mentally it was easier for me to be on the road bike in the formal dining room instead of on the TT bike in the training room. 

That way I was able to focus on rehab instead of feeling like I ws missing out on training. Running wasn't until 12 weeks? My surgeon was really conservative with returning to running which I knew going in. 

Randee and Nancy-  I  have a JOF saddle and absolutely LOVE it. If you're having problems you may want to check and see if the saddle is tilted in anyway. What were you riding before switching over? I was on a Cobb V flow max before switching over to the JOF

I am so glad that I took the tri bike in for a checkup this afternoon. Rear derailluer was messed up and the gears were skipping. The bike now has a new chain and is ready to go. I'm going to take her out tomorrow just to test things out again before the weekend. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-29 4:52 PM
2014-03-29 5:17 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-I use Cobb V Flow Max on my tri bike and road bike. Tried the Adamo but it never worked quite right for me. Lots of folks swear by the Adamo but I do think you have to get the tissue over the sit bones acclimated. Good thing is that if it doesn't work you can sell it easily.

I had the LBS put a new chain and cassette on last week. Last night I put the race wheels on and tomorrow I'll do my workout outside to test and make sure everything is working properly. The season starts early down here. Basically two seasons. Late March through June and then mid August through late October. There are a few races in July along the coast but its really too hot to do much racing other than sprints. Depending on how things shake out I'll do somewhere between 8 and 12 races over the next 6-7 months.

Suzy-good luck to your Badgers tonight!  

2014-03-29 6:31 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

I broke my computrainer last week and while waiting for a new part I have been on my rollers. These have been sitting in the corner of the workout room for the last three years and now I remember why. I was off my bike as much as I was on it today. About every 5-7 minutes I would fall off of the rollers. For the most part it was pretty unspectacular. Until the last one....... where I fell all the way off, went to the floor, caught my knee on a table on the way to the floor--removing a half-dollar sized piece of skin and sinew on the way. Good fun. I was done at that point even if the workout wasn't.

I don't know how you do this day after day. I am sure that I would get used to it but right now I am anxiously awaiting the CT part so I can reduce my indoor trainer anxiety.
2014-03-29 7:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-hope you are OK. Trust me the E-motion rollers that I use have to be easier than traditional rollers. I would highly recommend them if you are considering a new trainer. Quiet, durable and now available with wireless magnetic resistance control. Some of the best $$ I have spent on tri related gear.

2014-03-30 6:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-I use Cobb V Flow Max on my tri bike and road bike. Tried the Adamo but it never worked quite right for me. Lots of folks swear by the Adamo but I do think you have to get the tissue over the sit bones acclimated. Good thing is that if it doesn't work you can sell it easily.

I had the LBS put a new chain and cassette on last week. Last night I put the race wheels on and tomorrow I'll do my workout outside to test and make sure everything is working properly. The season starts early down here. Basically two seasons. Late March through June and then mid August through late October. There are a few races in July along the coast but its really too hot to do much racing other than sprints. Depending on how things shake out I'll do somewhere between 8 and 12 races over the next 6-7 months.

Suzy-good luck to your Badgers tonight!  

yeah my shop is really good about that stuff - they'll take it back if I decide to ditch it.

Jason - rollers scare me! I hope it's nothing more than a flesh wound (and pride if anyone saw you LOL)

It's raining and I need to run 2 miles today. I just can't do the treadmill so I'm thinking about heading outside. It's "only" 2 miles, right?

2014-03-30 9:14 AM

User image

It's chilly (well, it would be a heat wave for those of you still living in the arctic tundra) and windy as hell this morning. Dogs and I about blew away during our walks.

Friend of mine and I are heading out for a 30ish mile hilly ride followed by a 3 mile brick run. I hope we don't get blown off our bikes. We've chosen a bit of a 'secluded' area that, I hope, will keep us out of most of the wind.

I'm trying Ucan for the first time today. Got it gagged down with minimal swearing. I have samples of the lemonade flavor. Do any of the others go down any easier? I'm not sure if it's the fact that the corn starch doesn't disintegrate or if it's the aftertaste of the sweetener that's worse. I'm trying something different this year from the Infinit (bike) and gels (run) from last year. By the time I got off the bike, the only thing that I could keep down was salty pretzels. Anything sweet was entirely out of the question.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-03-30 9:15 AM
2014-03-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy.

I use the lemonade U-Can but I mix it with almost flavorless Infinit so it is diluted. I have the same problem with the starch not dissolving. I talked to someone at a U-Can booth and they told me that some people have been putting a drop or two of coconut oil in with it and it helps it dissolve. While I don't love the flavor, I have never had any issue getting it down in its current form so I haven't bothered to try the oil trick.

I bought a case of the stuff and have been using it for a very few training sessions and for all races for the last two years with good success. But, if you can't stomach it, then it is not going to be right for you. Once I am off the bike at a race the only thing I take in is water and coke. I have never felt that fuel source/energy has been my limiting factor at any race using the above plan.
2014-03-30 9:51 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ran a half marathon this morning. It is local. The 13.1 that I originally had on my schedule for two weeks from now is not going to fit with my work schedule so I bit the bullet and ran this morning.

I have been having some doubts about my level of fitness and some lack of motivation. I wasn't sure if I was ready to hurt as much as an all out 13.1 would take and this is definitely not a PR type of course so I decided to somewhat take it easy. Went out at 6:50 pace with the goal of keeping it there for the entire 13.1. There are a few very significant hills on this course, so there were times that keeping it at 6:50 was tough. There were other times that, in retrospect, I should have been pushing harder.

I finished in 1:29:05, 14th overall (out of more than 1,000), 2nd AG, 5th Masters! There are some really fast old guys out there (as interacting with Randy will prove).

Overall I am satisfied. It went well and I have a better sense of where my fitness is. I may try to get in a 10K in two weeks if I can make it to the start line (I am on overnight call the night before so it would be very tight...)
2014-03-30 10:10 AM

User image

Master

Jason- very nice! Congrats on a great race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.